PDA

View Full Version : Do the women "need" to lose?

DawgRockur
02-16-2018, 08:36 AM
Do the women "need" to lose a game before the NCAA Tourney?
I've always been on the fence about this theory.

MagicDawg
02-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Heck no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7fCQlUhj0

Ifyouonlyknew
02-16-2018, 08:41 AM
No

msugolf
02-16-2018, 08:49 AM
Does your wife need to cheat on you for you to notice her?

Matty Dispatch
02-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Are they complacent or are they beating the brakes off lesser teams?

Last two road games: 98-50 win and 95-50 win. I think they're focus is good.

I seen it dawg
02-16-2018, 08:58 AM
**** that noise. Hate hearing that shit.

LC Dawg
02-16-2018, 09:05 AM
They need to be tested some before the NCAA tourney and they will this Sunday and they will in the SEC tourney. These women are focused and ready. **** a loss.

starkvegasdawg
02-16-2018, 09:12 AM
Ask UConn.

Cary Hudson's little bro
02-16-2018, 09:20 AM
They lost some games last year and it's the same team nucleus...quit being a pu..y

DawgRockur
02-16-2018, 09:21 AM
If anyone is wanting a ticket for the Auburn game, there are less than 500 left. Spoke to the ticket office a few minutes ago.

basedog
02-16-2018, 09:21 AM
Watching Vic doing a post game interview was awesome. If anyone wishes or thinks we need to lose a game because they think it would help is thinking foolish. This staff and team are so focused on each and every game, can't see a let down from effort as Vic want allow that to happen.

Btw, I am so impressed how we move the ball on offense, consist movement with precise passing. Not sure IF Msu has ever had a team that gets everyone involved in offense, almost every possession every player touches the ball. Talk about discipline and execution at its best!

Don't know I've ever seen a Coach prepare a team as well as Vic does plus he demands effort which they give every minute!

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-16-2018, 09:24 AM
That is ridiculous...no team ever needs to lose.

MagicDawg
02-16-2018, 09:26 AM
I want to elaborate on my previous position, summarized as "Heck no."

1. Mississippi State should always win, every game, every sport, preferably in a dominating shut-out of the other team. This is the first and greatest sports commandment.
2. Our rival should always lose, every game, every sport, embarrassingly, except in a situation where a win benefits Mississippi State, and even then it should be a painful, struggling, low-scoring affair resulting in a meager and hollow victory.
3. The choice of which team or athlete to support in any other contest is based solely on what outcome best serves Mississippi State. If there is no benefit either way, root for schools most like Mississippi State in character, mission, and attitude. Land grant universities, engineering schools, underdogs, salt-of-the-earth reputations are a benefit. Known connections to our rival or prominent families associated with that school are automatic disqualifiers.

Rule 1 applies to the original poster's question.

RougeDawg
02-16-2018, 09:44 AM
They lost some games last year and it's the same team nucleus...quit being a pu..y

Threads like this make me wonder how many decades it will take before we purge the ?I?m ok with 11 am kickoff? mentality from our fan base.

Dawg61
02-16-2018, 09:52 AM
No

PassInterference
02-16-2018, 10:16 AM
Teams that need to lose are teams that need a reality check. Teams that need a reminder to play hard and be disciplined.

This team needs none of that. They are beating people to sleep.

klong-dog
02-16-2018, 10:30 AM
I've heard Vic say it numerous times this year... "This isn't a team that needs to experience a loss"

BeardoMSU
02-16-2018, 10:34 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/MRtD0ldbPw4i4/giphy.gif

vv83
02-16-2018, 10:43 AM
Jesus post less

mstatefan91
02-16-2018, 11:04 AM
No

MedDawg
02-16-2018, 11:06 AM

I can't say that it is never a bad thing for an unbeaten to lose before the NCAA Tourney, but I don't want our women to lose this year. We need to be the #2 overall seed in the tourney to put off some of our toughest games until the Elite Eight and Final Four, and I wouldn't put it past the committee to drop us down several spots for one late regular season or SEC Tourney loss.

It's interesting/strange that UConn only scheduled 29 games for the regular season instead of 30. IF we can get to 30-0, they can at best be 29-0.

gravedigger
02-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Threads like this make me wonder how many decades it will take before we purge the ?I?m ok with 11 am kickoff? mentality from our fan base.

So you are under the impression that start times of football games at 11:00 am dont benefit MSU at all or anyone else?

You might need to sit down for this next statement: The college football universe does not rotate around the desires of the people who attend the games or the inconveniences that they experience for an 11:00 am start. The business side of the event has FAR more considerations such as labor, security, safety, logistics and other events just to name a few.

Johnson85
02-16-2018, 12:37 PM
Teams that need to lose are teams that need a reality check. Teams that need a reminder to play hard and be disciplined.

This team needs none of that. They are beating people to sleep.

I think teams that are playing above their head can benefit. If a really good team plays consistently well and is running the table when they're not that much better than everybody else, they can tighten up when they face a close game come tournament time. Having a loss and just focusing on the championship and not remaining undefeated can prevent them from tightening up come tournament time.
But in girls basketball this year, there are just so few competitive games for UConn and MSU, it doesn't really matter.

mstatefan91
02-16-2018, 01:25 PM
I think teams that are playing above their head can benefit. If a really good team plays consistently well and is running the table when they're not that much better than everybody else, they can tighten up when they face a close game come tournament time. Having a loss and just focusing on the championship and not remaining undefeated can prevent them from tightening up come tournament time.
But in girls basketball this year, there are just so few competitive games for UConn and MSU, it doesn't really matter.
We'll run into a challenge in the SEC tournament. Tenn, USCe, and Georgia are all very good and can push us.. We are obviously capable of beating all 3 but it's a bit different than playing Vandy for sure

MeridianDog
02-16-2018, 02:22 PM

Please stop saying this. What the women "need" is to win out - every remaining game, all the way through. That is the only thing the women need.

OH and they need to beat UCon by 20 points.

yjnkdawg
02-16-2018, 04:43 PM

Does UConn need a loss as a reality check? No and neither does MSU............. I hope that fence you have been on isn't a barb wire one. lol

RocketDawg
02-16-2018, 05:10 PM

Absolutely not. Why would anybody think they "need" to lose?

sleepy dawg
02-16-2018, 05:48 PM
It makes me feel good to see everyone saying the same thing here. I was ready to come in here and angrily post a response, but it seems like most of us are rational. Anyone who's played sports at a competitive level would not suggest such things.

DawgRockur
02-16-2018, 10:41 PM
Alabama football team woke up after their loss.

I think we?re awake already.

Cowbell
02-16-2018, 11:19 PM
Well let's look at this from another angle - who is more intimidating? A team undefeated or one that has already seen defeat to a lesser foe?

mstatefan91
02-17-2018, 01:42 AM
Well let's look at this from another angle - who is more intimidating? A team undefeated or one that has already seen defeat to a lesser foe?

Yep. I look at the schedule and I see teams that have lost.. They have weaknesses that can be exploited. MSU has not shown that weakness to this point. These women have found a way to win every single game. It becomes daunting for their opponents.. a sense that it is already decided

bulldawg28
02-17-2018, 07:00 AM
Losing and winning are both contagious.

dawgs
02-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Are they complacent or are they beating the brakes off lesser teams?

Last two road games: 98-50 win and 95-50 win. I think they're focus is good.

I agree with this. If we were toying around with teams like Vandy and Florida and pulling away late to win by 10 points, I might thing they need an L to get them re-focused, but winning road games by 45 points indicates they don?t need an L to re-focus.

BiscuitEater
02-17-2018, 11:59 AM

Can you come join us for Friday night poker? If you?re on the ?fence? about needing to lose .. you would be welcome anytime!

99jc
02-17-2018, 12:29 PM
We have had close games behind in a few that was all the focus they needed. I really believe we can run the table with only Baylor and Louisville and Uconn that can beat us.

Offshore Dawg
02-17-2018, 01:25 PM

<17> NO !!!!!!!!!!!!

DawgRockur
03-04-2018, 06:54 PM
Bump

I seen it dawg
03-04-2018, 06:57 PM
Why? No one ever needs to lose. Stupid

ScoobaDawg
03-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Bump

You are a f*cking idiot. I don't give a damn if we go on to win the NC, that doesn't prove you right.. so stop trying to pout your chest out you dumbass.