PDA

View Full Version : just wondering what everyone thinks--Buy or Sell-X does more harm than good??

tcdog70
02-15-2018, 04:37 PM
he usually does something extremely stupid that bites us in the ass. Like that T last night, keep your 17ing mouth shut and we win. But he make 5 3's to give us a chance.

Bulldog1
02-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Or Shhh’s the crowd and then bricks the free throw.

jumbo
02-15-2018, 04:44 PM
He caught fire when we needed it most last night, but I will not miss him when he is gone.

Dawg61
02-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Well last night we aren't even within 10 without X so he was just about our MVP. When X first gets in the game I think Howland needs to call for an alley oop for him or some type of set play he can try to dunk. He becomes fully engaged after he does something good and he can be a very dangerous player when he's feeling it. Short answer is that X does more good than harm. Shouldn't of shooshed the crowd with one free throw left though. That was beyond stupid.

drummerdawg
02-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Can't stand him. He's not somebody we need on the team.

Cloak
02-15-2018, 05:06 PM
Buy. He actually made some shots last night for the first time in his career, but that doesn't make up for how bad he is/how bad his attitude is.

preachermatt83
02-15-2018, 05:17 PM
I would be happy if he never played for us again.

Big4Dawg
02-15-2018, 05:20 PM
You guys are crazy. He is our back up 3/4. Please tell me who you would bring off the bench when Ado and Holman need a breather? Datcher? Got help us.

Bulldog1
02-15-2018, 05:23 PM
You guys are crazy. He is our back up 3/4. Please tell me who you would bring off the bench when Ado and Holman need a breather? Datcher? Got help us.

We’d be better off putting Howland on the floor than Datcher.

GoToHellOleMiss
02-15-2018, 05:36 PM
X is not as good as he thinks he is and that is the problem.

He thinks he's headed to the NBA....please, he'll be lucky to play in Lithuania.

louisvilledawg
02-15-2018, 05:40 PM
We’d be better off putting Howland on the floor than Datcher.

I mentioned this last season. I'm sure Datcher is a great kid. But i think he would be better suited to be balling in the SWAC. He doesn't do a TERRIBLE job of playing screen d and rebounding, but he brings no ability to the offensive side. He had a hell of a pass dropped off to him last night and he pumped fake instead of going up strong and slamming it - got stuffed.

louisvilledawg
02-15-2018, 05:42 PM
he usually does something extremely stupid that bites us in the ass. Like that T last night, keep your 17ing mouth shut and we win. But he make 5 3's to give us a chance.

What does he "usually do" that bites us in the ass?

He got suspended one game and got T'd up last night.

It's also dumb to say he cost us the game because of that T.

Dude is the most athletic guy we have on the team save for Nick Weatherspoon. He brings a lot to the table athletically. We def need him.

msstate7
02-15-2018, 05:42 PM

Yep. I cannot stand X... I complain about him every game in the game thread. With that said, we would be beyond awful in the front court without him. Wish he would just shoot less, talk less, and essentially just buy in to being the best role player he can be

Dawg61
02-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Yes our bench is weak but most NIT teams have weak benches. Gonna take more than 2.5 years to have a full roster of SEC players. Keep in mind 3 starters when we signed them decided to quit on Howland. That moves guys like Stapleton 3 guys back on the bench so instead of having nobody at the 13 spot like this year we'd have someone like Datcher at the back of the bench not the 9th guy. Stapleton is a good player he's just never been held accountable for his off the wall emotions till this year. He's kinda going through something similar to Peters. Learning to hold yourself accountable for how you act on and off the court.

msbulldog
02-15-2018, 06:56 PM
I've been 50/50 on Stapleton all season, last night I held my breath every shot he took. But dammit, he made everyone of them! We have to have him, we have no better player coming off the bench in his position. Howland needs to threaten to sit his a$$ on the bench, until he straightens up. However X reminds me of Dontae Jones. who had issues in the regular season. When the SEC tournament started Dontae took over and took us all the way to the final 4! We had a helluva lot of great players on that team and I'm not going to try and name them in this post.

Dawg61
02-15-2018, 07:04 PM
However X reminds me of Dontae Jones. who had issues in the regular season. When the SEC tournament started Dontae took over and took us all the way to the final 4!

Wow he really does, he even shoots like Dontae.

RocketDawg
02-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Think about it though ... he pulls some stupid antics that the other BB players don't ... but about half the football players do similar or worse things, like when they make a big play, and few think anything about it. Years ago, you never saw crap like that.

It's pretty much up to the coach to quell that sort of thing.

yjnkdawg
02-15-2018, 07:24 PM
I've been 50/50 on Stapleton all season, last night I held my breath every shot he took. But dammit, he made everyone of them! We have to have him, we have no better player coming off the bench in his position. Howland needs to threaten to sit his a$$ on the bench, until he straightens up. However X reminds me of Dontae Jones. who had issues in the regular season. When the SEC tournament started Dontae took over and took us all the way to the final 4! We had a helluva lot of great players on that team and I'm not going to try and name them in this post.

Great comparison! I hadn't even thought of Dontae. X may be another one that Howland has to handle with the kid gloves. We do have a few very emotional players it seems.

AROB44
02-15-2018, 07:36 PM
X is nowhere near as good as Donte Jones! Shame on you for even using Donte as a comparison.

Goldendawg
02-15-2018, 08:17 PM

Don't knock Dontae. If he had stayed for his Senior year, he would have gotten his Masters and his Doctorate!*

Coach34
02-15-2018, 08:24 PM
X had 18 points and a couple of assists. We arent in the game without him.

Like Peters- he can be frustrating- but he is a big part of this team. My 8 year old would do as much for us as Datcher does. Removing X means you want more Datcher- and that would just be downright stupid.

Apoplectic
02-15-2018, 08:33 PM
Cancer!!

LC Dawg
02-15-2018, 08:34 PM
We would be a worse team without X. He contributes in a lot of ways. Yeah, he lacks maturity but I?m 49 and I lack it sometimes. This team seems to generate more player hate than normal for some reason. I?m excited we?re once again playing competitive basketball and I see multiple threads started to hate on players.

Dawg61
02-15-2018, 09:17 PM
We would be a worse team without X. He contributes in a lot of ways. Yeah, he lacks maturity but I?m 49 and I lack it sometimes. This team seems to generate more player hate than normal for some reason. I?m excited we?re once again playing competitive basketball and I see multiple threads started to hate on players.

We're just frustrated as a fan base cause the climb back to just make the tournament has taken so long.

LC Dawg
02-15-2018, 09:27 PM
We're just frustrated as a fan base cause the climb back to just make the tournament has taken so long.
I get that and I have been frustrated. When we hired Howland my first thought was we should be back in the tourney in a couple of years but when you look back at the situation he was handed I think we are about where we should expect to be. One of the things that has worked against us is a lot of SEC programs are getting better at the same time as us. I?ve seen posts that say it?s always next year for us but I?m extremely excited because it?s obvious we?ve got some great basketball years coming soon.

tcdog70
02-15-2018, 09:31 PM
Wow he really does, he even shoots like Dontae.

Ha, Donte made his shots. He is nowhere close to DJ. I will give Him props for last night because he shot us back into the game. But the T and the shhhh were just bush league. He thinks he is better than He is. With his hops he should rebound better, the Ref bailed him out after fumbled the ball out of bounds. Then when we just need a damn free throw he bricks and then doesn't get back. He has thousand dollar talent and a ten cent head.

Dawg61
02-15-2018, 09:34 PM
I get that and I have been frustrated. When we hired Howland my first thought was we should be back in the tourney in a couple of years but when you look back at the situation he was handed I think we are about where we should expect to be. One of the things that has worked against us is a lot of SEC programs are getting better at the same time as us. I?ve seen posts that say it?s always next year for us but I?m extremely excited because it?s obvious we?ve got some great basketball years coming soon.

Yea little worried we're about to have some unexpected turnover at the end of this year though. If we keep this team intact and add our signees plus 1-2 more we should be a tournament team next year from the start to finish.

Goldendawg
02-15-2018, 09:45 PM
Yea little worried we're about to have some unexpected turnover at the end of this year though. If we keep this team intact and add our signees plus 1-2 more we should be a tournament team next year from the start to finish.

Afraid you are right. None of these AAU types and 4 stars want to come off the bench or be role players. Look at our roster the last two years. This makes it very hard to build depth and a good bench.

Coach34
02-15-2018, 10:16 PM
Ha, Donte made his shots. He is nowhere close to DJ.

FG's- DJ- 47.4....X- 39.4
3 Pt FG's- DJ- 29.6%...X- 33%
Free Throws- DJ- 74.4%...X- 80%
Turnovers- DJ- 2.2 per game...X- 0.9 per game
Minutes Played- DJ- 30 MPG...X- 19 MPG

tcdog70
02-15-2018, 10:27 PM

So you are saying with your stats, X is as good as DJ? Stats are for losers. I can't remember DJ missing a free throw with the game on the line. Turnover , you can throw that stat out . DJ played the whole game X plays 19 min. You better show those Stats to Ben then to the NBA scouts. Ben will immediately start X and I'm sure he will be drafted.

LC Dawg
02-15-2018, 10:33 PM
So you are saying with your stats, X is as good as DJ? Stats are for losers. I can't remember DJ missing a free throw with the game on the line. Turnover , you can throw that stat out . DJ played the whole game X plays 19 min. You better show those Stats to Ben then to the NBA scouts. Ben will immediately start X and I'm sure he will be drafted.

I don?t think anyone is saying X is better than DJ but there were two DJs - early/mid season DJ and late/post season DJ. He wasn?t so great early in his short career. Stayed in RW?s doghouse a good bit.

Coach34
02-15-2018, 11:06 PM
So you are saying with your stats, X is as good as DJ? Stats are for losers.

only when they dont match your broad statement and show what you said to be completely false

Dontae got drafted and turned out to be exactly what many thought he would be- a bust

Dawg61
02-15-2018, 11:39 PM

Xavian might be this team's Dontae the more I think about it. Their game's really are similar. DJ took it to the whole more and shot more two's but their attitudes are similar. I'd even go as far as to say Howland should try starting X over Q next game and throw an alley-oop to him first play of the game vs Ole Miss.

Peters
Nick
X
Holman
Ado

might **** up our subs initially but I'd give it a look. There is a combo 5 out there we still haven't found that can catch fire. Q's defense has been so shitty maybe he can try coming off the bench and be a scoring lift for us with Carter.

tcdog70
02-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Xavian might be this team's Dontae the more I think about it. Their game's really are similar. DJ took it to the whole more and shot more two's but their attitudes are similar. I'd even go as far as to say Howland should try starting X over Q next game and throw an alley-oop to him first play of the game vs Ole Miss.

Peters
Nick
X
Holman
Ado

might **** up our subs initially but I'd give it a look. There is a combo 5 out there we still haven't found that can catch fire. Q's defense has been so shitty maybe he can try coming off the bench and be a scoring lift for us with Carter.

gonna bench Q for X. you have lost your mind. Nuff said.

Bulldog1
02-16-2018, 09:23 AM

I wouldn’t go to that extreme, benching Q for X, but Q better get it together.

Dawg61
02-16-2018, 09:47 AM

I'd consider making Q the 6th man for a bit till his defense picks up. Is that a permanent move? No but I'd try it one game to see what happens.

Apoplectic
02-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Agree, for a change bench the slacker Q for the cancer X

tcdog70
02-16-2018, 02:13 PM
right because X has won so many games with last minute plays. We would have at least 3 more loses this year without Q.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-16-2018, 02:22 PM

I honestly think he is gone after the season. He will "decide for himself" to move on.

Dawg61
02-16-2018, 02:24 PM
right because X has won so many games with last minute plays. We would have at least 3 more loses this year without Q.

You counting the last two games with Q too? 6th man plays a lot of minutes. The point of starting X and feeding him right away is to try and spark the good version of him out right away.