PDA

View Full Version : Q Weatherspoon...

Dawg61
02-14-2018, 09:27 PM
your little brother is clowning you on how to play good defense. Good offensive player but back of the bench bad on defense and it's every game. Defense is all effort. For the guy that is supposed to be the leader of the team he sure ain't leading on the defensive side. If Howland won't call you out we will. Pick it up on defense man. We give Peters, Stapleton, Datcher, Carter and everyone else so much shit but Q seems to always get a pass. That is about to change.

Bulldog1
02-14-2018, 09:30 PM
Starting to earn the title overrated. Yes or no. Just a lazy effort tonight by Q

Coach34
02-14-2018, 09:32 PM
He is not a good defender by any definition

msstate7
02-14-2018, 09:34 PM
Starting to earn the title overrated. Yes or no. Just a lazy effort tonight by Q

Lazy seems to be the key word. I watch nick exert 100% effort on both sides with no regard for his body. Q does not give that.

Bulldog1
02-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Lazy seems to be the key word. I watch nick exert 100% effort on both sides with no regard for his body. Q does not give that.

And this probably has to do with the lazy, but if you watch, he is so slow defending off the dribble. He gets beat every time!

HoopsDawg
02-14-2018, 09:37 PM

Effort is a part of it, but mental lapses is the other part. Hopefully, Howland or someone can sit down with him and show him what he's doing wrong. He sags off way too much. Did it against Mizzou for the game winner and left the guy with the ball tonight. That's mental.

Liverpooldawg
02-14-2018, 09:38 PM
He is not a good defender by any definition

He is atrocious on D. I saw some body language from him a few times tonight that reminded me of someone I'd rather not be reminded of.

HoopsDawg
02-14-2018, 09:41 PM
With Woodard coming in next year, it gives us the opportunity to reduce his minutes some.

Dawg61
02-14-2018, 09:43 PM
Effort is a part of it, but mental lapses is the other part. Hopefully, Howland or someone can sit down with him and show him what he's doing wrong. He sags off way too much. Did it against Mizzou for the game winner and left the guy with the ball tonight. That's mental.

He plays defense with his hands/arms instead of playing with his legs and chest like his little brother does. Q is just naturally slothy in movement which seems to work well for him on offense but it makes for a terrible defender. He'll probably live to be 120 because his heart rate is barely above comatose.

Coach34
02-14-2018, 09:44 PM
This is why I always laughed at posters worrying about him leaving early....wtf is he gonna go?

TXDawg
02-14-2018, 09:44 PM
To be fair, though, it was Peters that got absolutely lost on the game winning three. Not defending Q’s defense; just saying that the last play wasn’t on him.

msstate7
02-14-2018, 09:46 PM
This is why I always laughed at posters worrying about him leaving early....wtf is he gonna go?

Q is the same player he was as a freshman. Kinda disappointing he has not developed into a monster after such a strong freshman campaign.

Dawg61
02-14-2018, 09:52 PM
To be fair, though, it was Peters that got absolutely lost on the game winning three. Not defending Q’s defense; just saying that the last play wasn’t on him.

Maybe not but I'm pretty sure Q hasn't had a steal or gotten a charge since December.

Of 2016.

Coach34
02-14-2018, 09:54 PM
Q is the same player he was as a freshman. Kinda disappointing he has not developed into a monster after such a strong freshman campaign.

Q is not quick- he doesnt have the footspeed to be elite...he is what he is

Goldendawg
02-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Hey, he's just a junior. Wait til next year! The leadership and D will come.* I hate hearing that we are a young team (heard it from Mullen until I was sick of it.). Many other teams play a lot of freshmen and sophs in today's college game. We just make some real bonehead plays no matter what class they are in.

tcdog70
02-14-2018, 10:42 PM
He gambles sometimes and leaves his man open. Tonight Q was like in a fog. I watched in slo mo and X bumped into Nick and basically we screen ourselves leaving Q on 2 men and he left the one with the ball. The part I don't like is having no one at the lane when X was shooting free throws , maybe we rebound the Miss or slow them down.

HoopsDawg
02-14-2018, 10:43 PM
He gambles sometimes and leaves his man open. Tonight Q was like in a fog. I watched in slo mo and X bumped into Nick and basically we screen ourselves leaving Q on 2 men and he left the one with the ball. The part I don't like is having no one at the lane when X was shooting free throws , maybe we rebound the Miss or slow them down.

I hated that too.

mstatefan91
02-15-2018, 02:46 AM
This is an atrocious thread. Q means more to this team than a few missed defensive assignments. Pathetic takes in here. Including C34 who I usually agree with.

Delete this shit or suit up yourselves

Bulldog1
02-15-2018, 07:37 AM
This is an atrocious thread. Q means more to this team than a few missed defensive assignments. Pathetic takes in here. Including C34 who I usually agree with.

I’m not suiting up, but if he can’t give more effort than he has the last 2 games, he needs to sit on the bench. We have lost the last 2 games because of his awful defense. And if you can’t see that he doesn’t give any effort on defense, you need to go back and watch the games.

msstate7
02-15-2018, 07:42 AM
I picture Q like a CB on a football team that always jumps routes. He will pick off a few, but he will give up way more big plays than the plays he makes

Dawg61
02-15-2018, 08:46 AM

This attitude is why he sucks at defense. Nobody calls him out including Howland. I've never seen a player get more of a pass than Q. Hell Dak Prescott got labeled checkdown Charlie for a year. Nobody gets more shit than Nick Fitz but when it comes to Q noooooo can't say anything that might hurt his feelings. **** that. He's a SWAC defender not even CUSA bad.

Bulldog1
02-15-2018, 08:51 AM
This attitude is why he sucks at defense. Nobody calls him out including Howland. I've never seen a player get more of a pass than Q. Hell Dak Prescott got labeled checkdown Charlie for a year. Nobody gets more shit than Nick Fitz but when it comes to Q noooooo can't say anything that might hurt his feelings. **** that. He's a SWAC defender not even CUSA bad.
Agree.

Bulldog1
02-15-2018, 08:55 AM
I don’t want to hate on Q, I wish he would prove me wrong. But he has shown no signs of defensive improvement.

Thick
02-15-2018, 09:34 AM

No....this is a pathetic take!!!

boot
02-15-2018, 10:10 AM
Hell, he?s one of the best rebounding guards in the nation, and rebounding is all effort.. I think he just flat out sucks at positioning himself on D, and it gets worse towards the end of games when he?s gassed.

tcdog70
02-15-2018, 10:15 AM

there is 1 player that gets on his ass-His brother will. He did it a couple of times last night.

Coach34
02-15-2018, 10:17 AM
Hell, he?s one of the best rebounding guards in the nation, and rebounding is all effort.. I think he just flat out sucks at positioning himself on D, and it gets worse towards the end of games when he?s gassed.

That's whats crazy. He really is a good rebounder but you are right. His defensive positioning is awful and his lack of quickness makes it even worse

tcdog70
02-15-2018, 10:18 AM
I think in the first half we played the second team for way too long. When we could have stretched the lead. we need Holman and Ado with Q-Nick and Lamar.

Dawg61
02-15-2018, 10:22 AM
That's whats crazy. He really is a good rebounder but you are right. His defensive positioning is awful and his lack of quickness makes it even worse

So basically Q rebounds like a 4 with the height of a 2. He's too slow to defend guards and too short to defend down low.

HoopsDawg
02-15-2018, 12:24 PM
I think in the first half we played the second team for way too long. When we could have stretched the lead. we need Holman and Ado with Q-Nick and Lamar.

This all day. No one is talking about the fact that we have trailed by 9 at halftime in both of the last 2 games. And the reason is our first half rotations. It’s tough digging out of that hole on the road.

Coach34
02-15-2018, 12:29 PM
This all day. No one is talking about the fact that we have trailed by 9 at halftime in both of the last 2 games. And the reason is our first half rotations. It’s tough digging out of that hole on the road.

We waste minutes playing Datcher. Start Ado and Holman- then take Ado out around the 15 minute mark- bring in X. At the 12 minute time-out- take out Holman and bring Ado back. Next sub- bring back Holman and rest X. It's an easy rotation. Datcher should only play in case of foul trouble.

HoopsDawg
02-15-2018, 12:31 PM
We waste minutes playing Datcher. Start Ado and Holman- then take Ado out around the 15 minute mark- bring in X. At the 12 minute time-out- take out Holman and bring Ado back. Next sub- bring back Holman and rest X. It's an easy rotation. Datcher should only play in case of foul trouble.

Yes, easy 3 man rotation. We actually do that in the 2nd half. Can’t have Eli, Datcher, and Carter together with the 2 Spoons on the bench.

msstate7
02-15-2018, 12:34 PM
It was 12-7 state when we subbed in 2nd team at 14:59 1H. We subbed starters back in at 10:49 1H with score at 17-12 state. It was starters for most part till end of half with carter and X getting some mins

mstatefan91
02-15-2018, 02:30 PM

Oh. I didn’t realize that what we said on here had any real impact on what the players and coaches do. My bad. I guess I didn’t know our influence.

At any rate, I posted this late last night after a few beers. So yeah. It sounds a bit ridiculous re-reading it.

Dawg61
02-15-2018, 03:06 PM
Oh. I didn’t realize that what we said on here had any real impact on what the players and coaches do. My bad. I guess I didn’t know our influence.

At any rate, I posted this late last night after a few beers. So yeah. It sounds a bit ridiculous re-reading it.

I see these comments a lot about people thinking what we post never matters or never reaches players and I couldn't disagree more. You guys would be surprised who all reads ED and SPS. There's 100% certainty someone on the team, coaching the team or dealing with the team reads this board. The world is as large or small as you want to make it.

Coach34
02-15-2018, 03:24 PM
I know for a fact baseball and football guys read the board- I’d assume some basketball guys do also

mstatefan91
02-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Touche

Liverpooldawg
02-15-2018, 05:03 PM

Yep. He hurt us bad at the end of both the last two games.

MarketingBully
02-16-2018, 03:17 AM

The defensive breakdown was on him. He left Lachance wide open without being assured that Peters understood to switch to Lachance. He was in prime position defensively to contest that shot and sloughed off him to guard someone who was irrelevant. Same thing happened on the winning three pointer from the Missouri player on Saturday. But when it?s helter skelter like that at the end of the game and you have prime defensive position to contest the shot you should just contest the shot no matter whether it?s your man or not. Had Lachance passed the shot up and got it in the corner it would have been too late for the kid to put it up and we would have won the game anyway. Lachance?s only option was to shoot.