PDA

View Full Version : Overrated Medlen starts off strong

Will James
10-03-2013, 07:45 PM
3 strikeouts in the 1st.

MetEdDawg
10-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Low 90s fastball, one of the best change ups in baseball, and a pretty decent breaking ball. Can mix a little 2 seam action in there as well. He's got a lot of pitches and when he's on his game he reminds me a lot of Greg Maddux. I would say not overrated.

Will James
10-03-2013, 07:54 PM
BoomBoom earlier was saying that he was overrated. xFIP and Will James disagree.

MetEdDawg
10-03-2013, 08:00 PM
He's 34-20 over his career with a 2.95 ERA. Couple of NL Pitcher of the Month awards including winning the September one for this year. He's a solid pitcher and I think has better 3-5 year projections than anyone else in the Braves current pitching rotation.

BoomBoom
10-03-2013, 08:06 PM
BoomBoom earlier was saying that he was overrated. xFIP and Will James disagree.

actually i said overachieved.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 08:08 PM
actually i said overachieved.

Well he needs to overachieve this 3rd out. Can't fall behind 2-0

BoomBoom
10-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Some terrible pitch selection in the 2nd. Fat pitches to Ellis and Uribe when ahead in the count. No excuse to not throw Ellis two low change ups when the count reached 2-2, 2 outs and the pitcher up next. Yes, Kershaw can hit a little, but still.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Gattis looked like a 7 year old kid fielding his first ball in the outfield there. 2-0 is a huge lead for kershaw

msstate7
10-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Some terrible pitch selection in the 2nd. Fat pitches to Ellis and Uribe when ahead in the count. No excuse to not throw Ellis two low change ups when the count reached 2-2, 2 outs and the pitcher up next. Yes, Kershaw can hit a little, but still.
I've never liked Mac behind the plate. Love his bat, but he leaves a lot to be desired behind the plate

engie
10-03-2013, 08:12 PM
There was no excuse to let Puig go first to third on that line drive either.

Terrible, terrible fundamental baseball trying to lose games. THIS is the Braves that I know**

MetEdDawg
10-03-2013, 08:13 PM
That doesn't happen if BJ Upton doesn't suck at everything this year. He's playing CF and Justin is playing LF, who still isn't that great of an outfielder, but he definitely catches that. I like Gattis but god he is a terrible outfielder. We better pray we can work the counts against Kershaw and get him out after 6 or 7 because I don't see us scoring 2 or more off of him.

BrunswickDawg
10-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Gattis is no worse than about a half dozen players who have played outfield for the Braves over the past 30 years. Lonnie Smith and Ryan Klesko were far worse

msstate7
10-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Gattis is no worse than about a half dozen players who have played outfield for the Braves over the past 30 years. Lonnie Smith and Ryan Klesko were far worse

Next season he'll be our catcher so I'm not worried about his outfield defense.

Geez ... Is gattis back on drugs?

Will James
10-03-2013, 08:18 PM
I've never liked Mac behind the plate.

I very much disagree with this.

I also think he's by far the best option for the Braves at C next year.

MetEdDawg
10-03-2013, 08:20 PM
He sat there about 4 steps away from 2nd base and watched Puig slow down to a trot to catch that ball. He didn't turn around to go back to 1st until Puig had almost caught the ball. This could get ugly. Lot of stupid stupid stuff going on right now that is typical of us in the postseason.

BrunswickDawg
10-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Next season he'll be our catcher so I'm not worried about his outfield defense.

Geez ... Is gattis back on drugs?

Said the same thing about Klesko when he moved from first to left.... I'm still waiting for Cox to move him back to first...

msstate7
10-03-2013, 08:21 PM
I very much disagree with this.

I also think he's by far the best option for the Braves at C next year.

Will, I don't think so. He'll be very expensive and he's already starting to decline as a hitter. The last thing the braves need is another overpaid, under-producing player

Will James
10-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Will, I don't think so. He'll be very expensive and he's already starting to decline as a hitter. The last thing the braves need is another overpaid, under-producing player

No it's predicated on the discounted rate of staying in ATL if he wants to, not a long term expensive deal. But side-by-side just comparing the players McCann>Gattis next year IMO.

But Mac has been a good defensive catcher

BrunswickDawg
10-03-2013, 08:28 PM
I should have never typed the words "Lonnie Smith" - I am pretty sure by doing so I caused Gattis to channel him on the base paths.

BoomBoom
10-03-2013, 08:28 PM
No it's predicated on the discounted rate of staying in ATL if he wants to, not a long term expensive deal. But side-by-side just comparing the players McCann>Gattis next year IMO.

But Mac has been a good defensive catcher

is that just straight up production, or do you think that even taking into account $10M vs $400k for salary (with the difference spendable elsewhere)?

BoomBoom
10-03-2013, 08:30 PM
3 strikeouts in the 1st.

Can you make a post about how the Braves can't possibly come back from this? So that it happens.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Now do we pull medlen in hopes of using him again or just let him eat as many innings as possible? If dodgers score again, I'd go David hale and let him take it for the team

MetEdDawg
10-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Pitch sequencing changed drastically from the 1st inning to the 2nd and 3rd. Almost completely went away from the off speed pitch, especially early in the count. I think Medlen threw 5 or 6 curves in the 1st inning. Think I counted 3 total in the 2nd and 3rd. Not sure why we started pounded the strike zone with a bunch of fastballs with this lineup. Very bad decisions on the pitch sequences there.

Todd4State
10-03-2013, 08:35 PM
The guy that the M-Braves had catching for them- Christian Bethancourt- is going to be a solid MLB catcher. He made the Future's Game this year.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 08:36 PM
The guy that the M-Braves had catching for them- Christian Bethancourt- is going to be a solid MLB catcher. He made the Future's Game this year.

Very good defensively and not so good offensively. The opposite of Mac

Todd4State
10-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Now do we pull medlen in hopes of using him again or just let him eat as many innings as possible? If dodgers score again, I'd go David hale and let him take it for the team

It's really hard to bring a MLB starting pitcher back like that on short rest like that because of how they have their throwing routines.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Elliot Johnson has an error and didnt advance runner. Gattis and Elliot need to settle down

Todd4State
10-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Very good defensively and not so good offensively. The opposite of Mac

12 home runs while playing at Trustmark Park with a .277/.305/.436 slash line with 11 stolen bases is very solid. Catcher is one of the hardest positions to learn for pro baseball players- they have to learn how to call a game- which very few of them do in high school, college, or the Dominican sugar cane field. That takes away from their offensive numbers some too.

In fact, MSU is one of the FEW colleges that teaches catchers how to call a game and allows them to do it over time. That should be a huge drawing card for catcher prospects- and might be why we have a commitment from Chase Vallot- and were able to get him away from LSU.

Will James
10-03-2013, 08:44 PM
is that just straight up production, or do you think that even taking into account $10M vs $400k for salary (with the difference spendable elsewhere)?

Straight up production. Mac will be over paid for by somebody else. He's worth that money next year, not every year for the next 5 though. BJ deal was dumb as hell and wrenches up a lot of move possibilities.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 08:45 PM
12 home runs while playing at Trustmark Park with a .277/.305/.436 slash line with 11 stolen bases is very solid. Catcher is one of the hardest positions to learn for pro baseball players- they have to learn how to call a game- which very few of them do in high school, college, or the Dominican sugar cane field. That takes away from their offensive numbers some too.

In fact, MSU is one of the FEW colleges that teaches catchers how to call a game and allows them to do it over time. That should be a huge drawing card for catcher prospects- and might be why we have a commitment from Chase Vallot- and were able to get him away from LSU.

Didnt realize he had that good a year. All I've read and heard about Christian is he isn't expected to hit on the mlb level

Will James
10-03-2013, 08:47 PM

Yep, which is why I'd try to get Mac back there until he's ready.

I'm not buying into Gattis. Could be proven wrong, but when the pitchers figured out the book on him, he stopped producing quick.

BoomBoom
10-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Didnt realize he had that good a year. All I've read and heard about Christian is he isn't expected to hit on the mlb level

yeah, big turnaround for him with the bat this year. Mac is gone because the C situation is locked up, Laird is already signed for next year so will be the backup to Gattis, while Bethancourt goes to AAA and will be the backup C in 2015. And he's not just good defensively, he's supposedly the best defensive catcher in the game.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 08:50 PM

I'm not buying into Gattis. Could be proven wrong, but when the pitchers figured out the book on him, he stopped producing quick.

And then gattis picked it up again. Gattis has been red hot in September. Gattis only has one weakness at the plate -- pitch selection. If he's selective, he's a very good hitter.

BoomBoom
10-03-2013, 08:51 PM

that's pretty typical for a rookie, especially one that's only had 1 year above A ball. from what i've seen he has a lot of room to grow as a hitter. he just has to learn pitch selection so that he gets better pitches to hit.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 08:56 PM
When the braves make the playoffs next season, please start someone game 1 besides medlen. What a garbage performance. Medlen just isn't a big game pitcher. He's solid, but he just can't get the big win. He's now 0-2 in postseason after rolling in regular season up to these two games

Will James
10-03-2013, 08:59 PM
he's supposedly the best defensive catcher in the game.

If that's the case he won't be Evan Gattis' MLB backup. Catcher is the most important defensive position and it's not close.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9275754/studying-art-pitch-framing-catchers-such-francisco-cervelli-chris-stewart-jose-molina-others

This article also states that McCann's receiving ability saved the Braves 122 runs given up from 08-13. Mac is a very good catcher. I'd pay for him for 2-3 years until Christian takes over.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:04 PM
If that's the case he won't be Evan Gattis' MLB backup. Catcher is the most important defensive position and it's not close.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9275754/studying-art-pitch-framing-catchers-such-francisco-cervelli-chris-stewart-jose-molina-others

This article also states that McCann's receiving ability saved the Braves 122 runs given up from 08-13. Mac is a very good catcher. I'd pay for him for 2-3 years until Christian takes over.

I doubt seriously that Mac would sign 2-3 years. He'll be looking for 4-5 years

Will James
10-03-2013, 09:05 PM
I doubt seriously that Mac would sign 2-3 years. He'll be looking for 4-5 years

Which is why somebody will over pay.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Which is why somebody will over pay.

Exactly. I don't want it to be the braves

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Kershaw's pitch count at 65 with 1 out in 4th. If the braves can get a couple runs, they might can get back in this vs dodgers bullpen

Will James
10-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Kershaw's pitch count at 65 with 1 out in 4th. If the braves can get a couple runs, they might can get back in this vs dodgers bullpen

Need a multi-run big fly soon

Will James
10-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Like our current topic of interest almost provided

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Just missed it

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Kershaw at 77 pitches thru 4. Simmons has to lay off that pitch.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:24 PM
There's guys that choke and then there's medlen. He has given us no shot in this game. Medlen is a regular season pitcher

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:25 PM
There's guys that choke and then there's medlen. He has given us no shot in this game. Medlen is a regular season pitcher

4 ip 9 hits 5 runs

Chipper threw out the first pitch and he may could've outpitched medlen tonight

Will James
10-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Medlen is a regular season pitcher

Remember Maddux Glavine and Smoltz only won 1 during their decade+ run in the playoffs

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Need to get a run or 2 here. Who pinch hits for Ayala? Do we pinch for Ayala?

Will James
10-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Need to get a run or 2 here. Who pinch hits for Ayala? Do we pinch for Ayala?

Without a doubt Ayala cannot be allowed to hit.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Remember Maddux Glavine and Smoltz only won 1 during their decade+ run in the playoffs

They didnt just implode though. Medlen cruises straight into the postseason and then falls apart

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Ayala was probably a better option than bj

Will James
10-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Ayala was probably a better option than bj

Ayala's career wOBA and wRC+ are better than Upton was this season.

17 career plate appearances. Upton is horrible and should have a section of the bench made of nails for him to permanently sit on.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm sick of home plate ump calling check swings strikes.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Ayala's career wOBA and wRC+ are better than Upton was this season.

17 career plate appearances. Upton is horrible and should have a section of the bench made of nails for him to permanently sit on.

That was one of the most pathetic at bats I've seen since maybe bj's last at bat. That looked like me facing kershaw. I had as much of a chance as bj.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Just let walden pitch the rest of the game. He shouldn't be in a meaningful game. He's been horrible since getting off dl

Todd4State
10-03-2013, 11:24 PM

From who? I doubt he will ever be Yadier Molina or Mike Piazza- but he can hit .250 and hit 10 home runs and he will give you plus defense. Like someone said- he will spend next year in AAA, and probably come up in September and then be the back-up in 2015.

msstate7
10-04-2013, 12:04 AM
From who? I doubt he will ever be Yadier Molina or Mike Piazza- but he can hit .250 and hit 10 home runs and he will give you plus defense. Like someone said- he will spend next year in AAA, and probably come up in September and then be the back-up in 2015.

Message board guys. I was repeating what I had heard. I wanna be wrong. Just wonder where we play gattis.