PDA

View Full Version : D1Baseball article on MLB and college baseball helping each other out.

Todd4State
02-13-2018, 03:15 AM
I think this is a free article but if it's premium someone let me know and I'll copy and paste it.

https://d1baseball.com/notebook/stronger-bond-building-mlb/

Basically MLB and three college baseball coaches are talking about MLB helping supplement college baseball with scholarships. Just discussions but nothing concrete. IMO each college baseball team should have 20-25 full scholarships and I would like to see the rosters expanded from 35-40. That's still 10-15 walk-ons- I think they should still allow academic and lottery money for those players if necessary.

I think they need to break the leagues into divisions since schools like St. Francis school for Monks aren't interested in competing in baseball at a championship level like a SEC team but still want baseball. Like the NCAA does with football essentially.

They talk about a premier college pre-season tournament and mention the Shriner Classic in Houston where we are playing. But it would be taken to the next level with even better teams and maybe air time on MLB Network.

Talk about a MLB game in Omaha right before the CWS starts. KC Royals?

Also talk about the MLB draft and having it a day before the National Finals series in Omaha and also having draft in Omaha.

Tbonewannabe
02-13-2018, 10:10 AM
I wonder if MLB has finally figured out that more than half of their players went to college. I think it is a lot better selling point for MLB to go to college and then 1 or 2 years in the minors vs 3 to 5 years in the minors. The minors are a grind and I could imagine that most guys would prefer to play at a big time college program and still get to the pros in the same amount of time. A lot of the superstars in MLB now went to college like Judge, Stanton, and Bryant. I wish they would change the draft where if you were picked in the five rounds then you could go to college and the team could still sign you after 3 years unless you were drafted higher. Maybe each team could have 1 exemption per year that didn't affect their pool money. The player could go to college knowing they could still sign for that slot but also possibly go higher. The team could still get the benefits of not signing their high round pick but also possibly get them in 3 years. If someone is going early in the first round then they are probably signing anyway so that wouldn't really affect MLB or college.

BrunswickDawg
02-13-2018, 11:39 AM
MLB would be very smart to grow a closer relationship with CBB. Economics just makes it smart. They can fund scholarships for a lot less money then it takes to fund a Minor League team. If they were smart, the NCAA could adjust the rules so MLB clubs could "sign" kids, pay for their college, and let them go to a school of their choice for 4 years of development - then have them negotiate their actual contract upon graduation. Teams would save a ton in player development costs. Hell, do the same for the NBA. The product would be better than damn D League games.

I seen it dawg
02-13-2018, 12:56 PM
I’m going Ole Polkie here but...would the ****ing NCAA get off their dead asses and fix the archaic ****ing roster and scholarship rules as it pertains to baseball? ****

MedDawg
02-13-2018, 01:19 PM
I think this is a free article but if it's premium someone let me know and I'll copy and paste it.

Basically MLB and three college baseball coaches are talking about MLB helping supplement college baseball with scholarships. Just discussions but nothing concrete. IMO each college baseball team should have 20-25 full scholarships and I would like to see the rosters expanded from 35-40. That's still 10-15 walk-ons- I think they should still allow academic and lottery money for those players if necessary.

I think they need to break the leagues into divisions since schools like St. Francis school for Monks aren't interested in competing in baseball at a championship level like a SEC team but still want baseball. Like the NCAA does with football essentially.

They talk about a premier college pre-season tournament and mention the Shriner Classic in Houston where we are playing. But it would be taken to the next level with even better teams and maybe air time on MLB Network.

Also talk about the MLB draft and having it a day before the National Finals series in Omaha and also having draft in Omaha.

That would be awesome, I'm in favor of getting more college baseball scholarships any way we can. I can't see the NCAA going along with it, but if it couldn't happen I guess they wouldn't be talking about it. I didn't realize that such a high percentage of schools don't even fund the full 11.7. If that is a reason to not give more scholarships, one solution would be to split Division 1 into two divisions, like football. Let new Division 1 have 25 scholarships and the smaller division have fewer.

msbulldog
02-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Polk is getting all wooly.

Homedawg
02-13-2018, 01:57 PM

I haven't read what you sent yet, but one issue w increasing scholarships is the title9 problem it presents. We, meaning sec schools, have ways to deal w it, but others don't and won't

Tbonewannabe
02-13-2018, 02:19 PM
I haven't read what you sent yet, but one issue w increasing scholarships is the title9 problem it presents. We, meaning sec schools, have ways to deal w it, but others don't and won't

The article mentioned MLB giving something like softball the same amount of schollies to offset the Title IX requirement.

Tbonewannabe
02-13-2018, 02:22 PM
MLB would be very smart to grow a closer relationship with CBB. Economics just makes it smart. They can fund scholarships for a lot less money then it takes to fund a Minor League team. If they were smart, the NCAA could adjust the rules so MLB clubs could "sign" kids, pay for their college, and let them go to a school of their choice for 4 years of development - then have them negotiate their actual contract upon graduation. Teams would save a ton in player development costs. Hell, do the same for the NBA. The product would be better than damn D League games.

MLB might get better athletes also if people didn't have to basically make minimum wage for a year or so before even getting to an ok salary in the minors. Not even counting the special stipends that schools like UM give out, college players have a lot better living arrangements than low level minor league players. I would think you have to make AA before it is remotely equal to what MSU athletes have facility wise.

Todd4State
02-13-2018, 09:57 PM

I think I like this idea. Say the Mets draft me and I go to MSU and then 3-4 years later I then join the Mets. Like you said, I think the contract negotiation would have to wait after college in case a player doesn't pan out or something like that.

Todd4State
02-13-2018, 09:59 PM
That would be awesome, I'm in favor of getting more college baseball scholarships any way we can. I can't see the NCAA going along with it, but if it couldn't happen I guess they wouldn't be talking about it. I didn't realize that such a high percentage of schools don't even fund the full 11.7. If that is a reason to not give more scholarships, one solution would be to split Division 1 into two divisions, like football. Let new Division 1 have 25 scholarships and the smaller division have fewer.

Someone told me that the smaller colleges not wanting to fund the scholarships for baseball for their own program is actually a bigger problem than Title IX. Baseball definitely needs to split into divisions- when was the last time a Colonial or MEAC team went to Omaha?

Todd4State
02-13-2018, 10:04 PM
MLB might get better athletes also if people didn't have to basically make minimum wage for a year or so before even getting to an ok salary in the minors. Not even counting the special stipends that schools like UM give out, college players have a lot better living arrangements than low level minor league players. I would think you have to make AA before it is remotely equal to what MSU athletes have facility wise.

I think the issue MLB is running into is a very small percentage of their players leave MLB with a degree of any kind and so a lot of them are struggling to make ends meet after they leave the game. Even if you make it to MLB and earn the MLB minimum which I believe is around 500K- that money can run or get stretched pretty thin. And even a lot of the ones that do make it and make over a million- a lot of them mismanage the money or they take a big financial hit once they get out of the game. MLB has a very good pension but it doesn't start until 65 I believe. Of course the problem is what happens to players who get out of the game at 25, 35, or even 40 and the years in between.

So, I think that's one reason why a lot of these talks are starting to happen. Back in the 70's and 80's even you could leave the game with a high school diploma and probably land a decent job but that's just not how society is today in America.

The Federalist Engineer
02-13-2018, 10:30 PM
Why not take 15 scholarships from football give it to baseball? Title IX neutral.

If there are only 65 football players on all NCAA Campuses, would college football ratings be any lower. I think people would still watch football, if they happen to like college football.

I’m not a left wing activist or dwell on the Title IX stuff, just walking down the logic path of things like Title IX. You could argue that colleges discriminate against America’s 2nd and 4th largest ethnic groups by not offering scholarships in sports that Latins and Asians actually like, like Baseball. MLB is actually multicultural where football is essentially monoculture

Quaoarsking
02-13-2018, 10:43 PM
As I've said before, Title 9 is just a scapegoat in the "why is baseball limited to 11.7 scholarships?" question. The NCAA could raise it to 25 without changing any other sport's limit and just leave it up to the schools to comply with Title 9, since it's already up to each school to make sure they comply with Title 9 anyway.

The real reason it's 11.7 and not 25 is because most D1 schools have no interest in it being any higher than 11.7.

The Federalist Engineer
02-14-2018, 06:53 AM
As I've said before, Title 9 is just a scapegoat in the "why is baseball limited to 11.7 scholarships?" question. The NCAA could raise it to 25 without changing any other sport's limit and just leave it up to the schools to comply with Title 9, since it's already up to each school to make sure they comply with Title 9 anyway.

The real reason it's 11.7 and not 25 is because most D1 schools have no interest in it being any higher than 11.7.

If the SEC, P12, and ACC together decided to increase baseball scholarships to 25 and created women’s beach volleyball and women’s gymnastics to compensate- who could stop them?

Seriously? If the NCAA cant stop Ole Miss or Auburn’s Cam Scam, is there anything to worry about?