PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps a stupid question but why is our home dugout the 3rd base one?

starkvegasdawg
02-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Isn?t the first baseline dugout typically the home team dugout?

regdawg18
02-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Isn?t the first baseline dugout typically the home team dugout?

No. Third base is always home.

BrunswickDawg
02-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Not always. Turner Field had the home dugout on the First Base side.

gravedigger
02-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Not always. Turner Field had the home dugout on the First Base side.

Home team preference. It has always been MSU home dugout.

Lord McBuckethead
02-11-2018, 02:13 PM
Cause the sun isn't in our eyes there. Pretty straight forward.

State82
02-11-2018, 02:14 PM
May not have anything to do with it but late afternoon sun/heat later in the year is not as bad on 3rd base side

Coach34
02-11-2018, 02:38 PM
Louisiana does 1st Bass home dugouts a lot for some reason

ShotgunDawg
02-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Yankees and Cardinals also use the first base dugout.

Just home team preference

shoeless joe
02-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Traditionally the 3rd base dugout is the home dugout but there are quite a few instances where the home team has the first base dugout.

I've always thought the home team should have the first base dugout so their players don't have to run all the way across the field after an out.

Bully13
02-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Yankees and Cardinals also use the first base dugout.

Just home team preference

Yep. visiting players would always take The Babe out on the town prior to the games in order to see if they could get him so drunk he'd have a hangover the next day hoping it would effect his play the next day.

When he'd be rounding 3rd after a homer, he'd tip his hat to the dugout shouting "Where we going tonight boys?!!!"

LOL, gotta love The Babe.

HoopsDawg
02-11-2018, 04:22 PM
Traditionally the 3rd base dugout is the home dugout but there are quite a few instances where the home team has the first base dugout.

I've always thought the home team should have the first base dugout so their players don't have to run all the way across the field after an out.

Agree, we always choose 1B when we can.

parabrave
02-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Depends on the manager. Some managers like to control the plate better at third. the Braves and Yankees have 1st base dugouts.

PassInterference
02-11-2018, 06:18 PM
Texas Rangers - Home 1st base dugout.

RougeDawg
02-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Louisiana does 1st Bass home dugouts a lot for some reason

Most teams do home dugouts 1st base line because typically 3 out of 4 at bats usually has you player back In The dugout. 1st base is less running back to dugout. It?s a rule of thumb as old as baseball.

Homedawg
02-11-2018, 06:56 PM
Most teams do home dugouts 1st base line because typically 3 out of 4 at bats usually has you player back In The dugout. 1st base is less running back to dugout. It?s a rule of thumb as old as baseball.

Right, that's why half the big league teams have 3rd base as their home dugout. But I'm glad you chimed in, wouldn't be a baseball post wo your "knowledge"!

RougeDawg
02-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Right, that's why half the big league teams have 3rd base as their home dugout. But I'm glad you chimed in, wouldn't be a baseball post wo your "knowledge"!

Ok dipshit. Go look it up for yourself. It?s basically common sense as to why a home team would want1sr base dugout but you take ignorance to a new level. . You know as much about baseball as other do flying the international space station.

And why when Cann implements my ?hitting wishes? with regards to teaching mechanics, that it?s fine since he?s a ?coach?.

And dipshit, is isn’t difficult to fix your google or download Firefox.
https://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/general-baseball/ballparks-stadiums-green-diamonds/56943-why-first-base-line

Read a whole lot more, search more and post less please.

shoeless joe
02-11-2018, 07:16 PM
Ok dipshit. Go look it up for yourself. It?s basically common sense as to why a home team would want1sr base dugout but you take ignorance to a new level. . You know as much about baseball as other do flying the international space station.

And why when Cann implements my ?hitting wishes? with regards to teaching mechanics, that it?s fine since he?s a ?coach?.

https://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/general-baseball/ballparks-stadiums-green-diamonds/56943-why-first-base-line

Good grief...

I personally am ready for cann to implement your pre load elbow placement**

Homedawg
02-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Panties in wad. You just suck as a poster on baseball. Mr guru. Tell the cubs they are wrong then....you think you know more than an sec head coach, who,also actually played he game. Congrats.
ETA, I would never read a baseball forum that you used. Hell thats like people coming on here an thinking you know wtf you are talking about. Anybody can post crap on a message board. You are living proof.

MeridianDog
02-11-2018, 09:36 PM

More incentive to get a base hit so you don't have to run all the way back across the field with an out.

Duh....

DownwardDawg
02-11-2018, 09:43 PM

Every baseball team I played on had a 3rd base Home dugout.

HossDawg97
02-12-2018, 08:42 AM
In both the National League and American League, more home team dugouts are on the first-base side, 9 to 6 in each league.

Rejlector84sports
02-12-2018, 01:10 PM
I think it is that way because the third base side was the home side at the old field (where Dorman is now). Also placing it on that side allows the team to go direct from the clubhouse to the dugout. The team on the first base has to come out and go around the entrance to the Hump to get to the visitors' clubhouse.

Coach34
02-12-2018, 01:20 PM
I had never really seen a 1st base home dugout until my 30's and I played alot of baseball- never really thought about it on TV with MLB. Went to Wrigley, Fulton County, and the Astrodome for MLB- all home 3rd base dugouts.

FISHDAWG
02-12-2018, 01:48 PM
I had never really seen a 1st base home dugout until my 30's and I played alot of baseball- never really thought about it on TV with MLB. Went to Wrigley, Fulton County, and the Astrodome for MLB- all home 3rd base dugouts.

Fulton County was always home dugout at first base

Coach34
02-12-2018, 01:59 PM
hmmm- didnt realize it I guess

BrunswickDawg
02-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Fulton County was always home dugout at first base

Yes it was. Dugout at Suntrust is 1st base side as well.

Jack Lambert
02-12-2018, 02:49 PM
Maybe when they built it in 1967 Paul Gregory wanted to coach third base and he was just too lazy to walk to third base so he decided to make the third base the home dug out.

shoeless joe
02-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Maybe when they built it in 1967 Paul Gregory wanted to coach third base and he was just too lazy to walk to third base so he decided to make the third base the home dug out.

I've actually always figured this was the reason that the third base side was traditionally home side. The head coaches could coach third and control the game while also having immediate access to the dugout for pinch hitter/runner or to get the pen ready.

regdawg18
02-12-2018, 03:36 PM

I totally screwed this up. First base side is usually always home. My fault on this one.

Commercecomet24
02-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Yes it was. Dugout at Suntrust is 1st base side as well.

Turner Field first base side as well.

Tbonewannabe
02-12-2018, 04:03 PM
I wonder if it is more to do with how the sun hits than anything. The MS Braves is on the 3rd base side so it isn't the Braves entire system. Growing up in Northeast MS, I don't remember ever playing anywhere but the home dugout on 3rd base side.

BrunswickDawg
02-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Thought for a moment that the dugout being on 3rd may be related to the building between the 3rd base stands and the Palmeiro. So, I went and looked on the Google Earth way back and realized that building wasn't that old.

Side note - some industrious person put a 3d version of the old UN dorm on the Google Earth. Nice work whoever did that.

BiscuitEater
02-12-2018, 07:50 PM

Sorry, Rouge is RIGHT .. 18 of 30 (60% use 1st Base dugout) .. In both the National League and American League, more home team dugouts are on the first-base side (9 to 6 each). Even the two oldest parks still in use differ on this point: the Cubs sit on the third-base side at Wrigley while the Red Sox inhabit the first-base dugout at Fenway.

Spiderman
02-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Easy.... because it's a direct tunnel to the locker room