PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of commits: baseball

MsStateBaseball
10-03-2013, 06:54 PM
I predict at least one for baseball this weekend. Got some current commits coming in too. Got 3 or 4 weekends until signing day.

msstate7
10-03-2013, 07:00 PM
And I'm sure they'll be really good prospects. Cohen is quite a recruiter. Still can't believe we didnt get Preston palmeiro

Todd4State
10-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Rafael was very outspoken about Byrne going against Polk's wishes. It could have been a very awkward and potentially toxic situation- one that could have spilled over onto the team which needless to say, we don't need right now. Rafael's other son, Patrick, immediately de-committed from us when Cohen was hired and then went to a JUCO and eventually followed Polk to UAB. Plus, Raffy is known to be very hard headed- and Cohen doesn't take much from anyone. You might as well just get two rams and let them butt heads.

It was a tough situation for Cohen as well- I think we handled it about as well as we could. We offered- despite what Gene says- and we had a place for him on the team if he wanted it. He chose another team that also went to the CWS and has a pitcher that may be the first pick in the entire draft next year along with some other very good players. And now he doesn't have to worry about expectations from fans that would be expecting him to win the triple crown like his Dad. Heck, Peyton Manning essentially did the same thing. I wish Preston well and think he will be a very good player for NC State.

bully99
10-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Todd I agree, but you have to remember that Scott Stricklan was Greg Byrnes right hand man and was as much responsible for Cohen coming to state. There's no great love for Stricklan from Polk loyalists. Preston was never coming to state. If he was he would have announced it long ago. I thought he would stay closer to home, I think he might have gone to Oklahoma but their coach went to Auburn. NC State was a strange choice though.
Todd any idea who state is looking at.

Todd4State
10-03-2013, 08:58 PM
There were a lot of wounds during the coaching change. Not just Polk people- Steve Smith, Brian Shoop, Joe Hudak etc. all had their people in their corners. And then the people that wanted Cohen- like me- caught some backlash when things weren't going very well. I remember someone on sixpack being pissed off at me after we blew a game to Auburn. Like it was my fault.

I think we are about done with the current class aside from the 2-3 that we will add in the spring like we do every year for the late bloomers. I could see us adding a couple of more guys- the biggest need I see is left handed hitters, but we will always add a quality arm if we can get one.

For 2015, I like where we stand with Dallas Woolfolk from DeSoto Central and Hill Garbo from Madison Central. I know we are looking at a lot of guys from Georgia like Chris Cullen (3B), Addison Albright (LHP), Jonathan Hughes (RHP), Brandt Stallings (1B and has a Vandy offer), Alec Wilson (OF), James Burns (P), and from Alabama we are looking at Tyler Wilburn (P) and from Memphis James Buse (P), and finally from Florida we are looking at Chadwick Word (SS/P). I don't know who is visiting when though.

MsStateBaseball
10-04-2013, 05:51 AM
I should have said expect a commit but I don't know which class. 2014-2016 are open for business. Exciting time in baseball right now. I can't wait to see a scrimmage.

msstate7
10-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Alright you baseball guys. Give me these 3 players:

1. Friday night starter --
2. Team leader in batting average
3. Protects Wes rea

MsStateBaseball
10-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Woodruff
Pirtle
Pirtle/Bradford mix