PDA

View Full Version : I have heard from several....

DogsofAnarchy
02-09-2018, 02:12 PM
student athletes that CDM was really “negatively recruiting” against MSU. Disappointing to hear that. I know that recruiting is a dirty business but I guess a suspected Dan would have more character than that. I now know my assumption was a catagorical mistake. Expect no further comment on this subject from me and also expect no quarter in my comments in the future about ole Danny boy. The things I heard today from student athletes has made my admiration and respect turn to something that is to awful to mention. May the fleas of 10 Billion Camels invade the Mullen household.

bulldawg28
02-09-2018, 02:16 PM
That's what most do. Recruiting is like used car salesman. It is what it is. If he speaks positively of MSU the recruit would be swayed to come. He's representing his brand

dawgday166
02-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Dan's a douche and a weasel IMO. He'll say whatever it takes to get Dan ahead or make it easier for him. His 'developmental program" statements all are meant to minimize recruiting expectations of the fanbase. He's saying that at FL now.

That's why I've gotten so pissed at him over the years. I could tell when he was slacking in recruiting, or not working hard in development. There was no reason to start 2016 like we did.

When he does get his arse in gear tho ... I will admit he's a pretty good coach. Not great, but pretty good. Very good developer, average game coach. An example ... it took a 4 star Juco Rankin a RS year plus another half a year to look like a pretty damn good Olineman. Yet Eiland looked all-world practically as a RS Fr (3 star outta HS).

When Dan decided expectations were too high in Starkville and he had to get out, I think he cracked down on his boys and made it happen. That's why we have all the talent on D (as far as recruiting stars and jucos) and the O talent has been developed like it has.

Ari Gold
02-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Fla has 9 decommits in 2019 class since Dan and the boys were hired. 6 of those are 4stars. He is Florida’s problem now.

Jack Lambert
02-09-2018, 02:24 PM
That's what most do. Recruiting is like used car salesman. It is what it is. If he speaks positively of MSU the recruit would be swayed to come. He's representing his brand

Why say anything? Sell florida.

dawgday166
02-09-2018, 02:27 PM

Doesn't it sell itself?? Of course, there might be an "anti sells itself" factor in the equation now.

Tbonewannabe
02-09-2018, 02:48 PM

This is exactly what I was thinking. Why would you have to put State down to recruit to UF? Makes me want to tell Don "Keep our name out your 17ing mouth, bitch".

bulldawg28
02-09-2018, 03:06 PM

Understandable, I see that. I guess his mouthpiece is weak.

ShotgunDawg
02-09-2018, 03:19 PM
It's disappointing to me that Dan does not have more pride in what he built at MSU, &, in some ways, insinuates to me that he may view his time at MSU as more of a failure than success.

Secondly, it's difficult when another coach in your conference knows as much about your program as Dan knows about ours. Basically, he had the ability to completely break down depth charts, negatives, where the player stood on the recruiting board, etc...... Dan had the knowledge to recruit against us in ways that coaches rarely have & Dan won't have next year.

We lost a few, but I'm just relieved that we survived the helpless ambush without losing any impact players.

ScottH
02-09-2018, 03:20 PM
Little man big job.

Tbonewannabe
02-09-2018, 03:31 PM
It's disappointing to me that Dan does not have more pride in what he built at MSU, &, in some ways, insinuates to me that he may view his time at MSU as more of a failure than success.

Secondly, it's difficult when another coach in your conference knows as much about your program as Dan knows about ours. Basically, he had the ability to completely break down depth charts, negatives, where the player stood on the recruiting board, etc...... Dan had the knowledge to recruit against us in ways that coaches rarely have & Dan won't have next year.

We lost a few, but I'm just relieved that we survived the helpless ambush without losing any impact players.

We ended up with all of the important guys we needed.

Dawg61
02-09-2018, 03:41 PM
student athletes that CDM was really ?negatively recruiting? against MSU.

Spill the beans

https://media.giphy.com/media/joGUuMFGRwxd6/giphy.gif

Turfdawg67
02-09-2018, 04:21 PM
https://s18.postimg.org/gm8tq6a21/E53_B83_B0-875_D-4_C01-83_FD-_FB233_F6_A10_BF.jpg

gtowndawg
02-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Steve reported a recruit was told by ******* "you can't win a natty at MSU but you can at Florida" Paraphrasing of course but that's the jest of it.

Bully13
02-09-2018, 04:32 PM
let's see, he took the kicker, McDowell, but we got the LB out of LA. were there other battles?

I think if you are the HC at UF, you should be worried about trashing other more upper echelon schools you are going head to head against. A HC at UF trashing MSU in a crootin' battle is low rent. especially after you just spent 9 years at MSU.

Commercecomet24
02-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Steve reported a recruit was told by ******* "you can't win a natty at MSU but you can at Florida" Paraphrasing of course but that's the jest of it.

But,but,but I thought Florida was a lateral move?

Todd4State
02-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Doesn't it sell itself?? Of course, there might be an "anti sells itself" factor in the equation now.

Florida doesn't really sell itself. They have to compete with Florida State and Miami. Not to mention Alabama and Georgia and whoever else.

If Dan thought that going there would make recruiting easier he is sadly mistaken.

Todd4State
02-09-2018, 04:36 PM
let's see, he took the kicker, McDowell, but we got the LB out of LA. were there other battles?

I think if you are the HC at UF, you should be worried about trashing other more upper echelon schools you are going head to head against. A HC at UF trashing MSU in a crootin' battle is low rent. especially after you just spent 9 years at MSU.

I know that Dan at least offered:

Heath
Guidry?
Dolla Bill
Lovett
There may have been others.

IMissJack
02-09-2018, 04:38 PM
It's pretty easy to negatively recruit against us when our own AD alum left...Thanks.

Todd4State
02-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Fla has 9 decommits in 2019 class since Dan and the boys were hired. 6 of those are 4stars. He is Florida’s problem now.

He won't be in three years. The fact that Dan tried so hard to recruit his old recruits should worry Florida fans big time.

Compare that to Joe who didn't try to take one Penn State target...despite not having been a head coach in a couple of seasons.

Bully13
02-09-2018, 04:41 PM
He won't be in three years. The fact that Dan tried so hard to recruit his old recruits should worry Florida fans big time.

Compare that to Joe who didn't try to take one Penn State target...despite not having been a head coach in a couple of seasons.

didn't know / realize that. Joe has class. can't say the same about muffin turd.

I seen it dawg
02-09-2018, 05:17 PM
**** Mullen. Gives me another team to hate on Saturdays

preachermatt83
02-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Fla has 9 decommits in 2019 class since Dan and the boys were hired. 6 of those are 4stars. He is Florida?s problem now.

This

BrunswickDawg
02-09-2018, 06:01 PM
That?s rich, considering it was his bed shitting performance against OM in 2014 that kept us out of the playoff.

Commercecomet24
02-09-2018, 06:25 PM
That?s rich, considering it was his bed shitting performance against OM in 2014 that kept us out of the playoff.

Lol truth! He had us at number one and we could?ve stayed there. He screwed the pooch in 14.

Dallas_Dawg
02-09-2018, 06:43 PM
**** Mullen. Gives me another team to hate on Saturdays

I?m with ISID. September 29th is going to be a great day

Goldendawg
02-09-2018, 06:52 PM
He's like the guy who leaves the good looking, loyal girl for the fast "better looking chick". She, Florida, will dump him for someone else within four years, maybe less. Glad he's finally gone. It was always about him and his posse. Hail State!

HoopsDawg
02-09-2018, 07:59 PM

Exactly, negative recruiting is mainly done by weak recruiters.

gravedigger
02-09-2018, 08:04 PM
student athletes that CDM was really ?negatively recruiting? against MSU. Disappointing to hear that. I know that recruiting is a dirty business but I guess a suspected Dan would have more character than that. I now know my assumption was a catagorical mistake. Expect no further comment on this subject from me and also expect no quarter in my comments in the future about ole Danny boy. The things I heard today from student athletes has made my admiration and respect turn to something that is to awful to mention. My the fleas of 10 Billion Camels invade the Mullen household.

He may have been trying to combat the idea he advocated msu as a great school and has to reverse that. Fine with me. He better cinch up those yeezys tight cause I believe he?s in for a beating come September.

Liverpooldawg
02-09-2018, 08:04 PM
All's fair in love and war. He doesn't work for us anymore.

msbulldog
02-09-2018, 08:07 PM

The recruit was Lovett and Dan told him come to MSU and help us win a national championship. When Lovett visited Florida on the last weekend before signing day that MSU would never see a NC...Smart young man he signed with us and laughed at the liar!

Schultzy
02-09-2018, 08:11 PM
2014 egg performance bothers me greatly.

was21
02-09-2018, 08:20 PM
No evidence....just hearsay...wouldn't stand up in a kangaroo court. I've let Mullen go and appreciate what he did at State. On the other hand...screw his AD at Florida.

Goldendawg
02-09-2018, 08:20 PM
2014 egg performance bothers me greatly.

Four of the last six Egg Bowls' "performance" bothered me greatly! He usually quit us about the two last games yearly to start his annual job search. Glad he's gone.

Commercecomet24
02-09-2018, 08:30 PM
Four of the last six Egg Bowls' "performance" bothered me greatly! He usually quit us about the two last games yearly to start his annual job search. Glad he's gone.

This.

Bully13
02-09-2018, 09:25 PM
17 muffins. A new day has dawned. We have balls and a new personality is upon us. Its nice to no longer have an asshole running things.

DownwardDawg
02-10-2018, 01:52 AM
Mullensdsd is a douche bag. We love JWS and already hate merlens. Think about that. He?s garbage.

Todd4State
02-10-2018, 01:59 AM

I wished he had recruited as hard for us as he did against us this cycle.

Todd4State
02-10-2018, 02:04 AM
Mullensdsd is a douche bag. We love JWS and already hate merlens. Think about that. He?s garbage.

I think Dan is a better X and O's coach than Jackie but Jackie was much better at motivating the team. I hated it when Jackie had his unexplainable losses to people like ULM and Troy and we did get blown out too much for my liking at times- like LSU 1998 and Georgia 1997- but at least he was also good for about one top 20 win a year on average and had about twice as many top 25 wins as Dan did. I also didn't question Jackie's personnel decisions as much as I did under Dan.

If Joe can combine Jackie's average of a top 25 win a year and Dan's record against non-SEC teams and in bowl games he might end up being our best coach ever.

Jarius
02-10-2018, 08:51 AM

Tony Hughes is one of the best recruiters we have ever had at our school and he never negative recruited a day in his life. He sold you on his school and his personality and gets in really good with momma. He doesn?t have to talk bad about someone else to convince you his school is where you need to be.

msstate7
02-10-2018, 09:05 AM
It is certainly easier to win a natty at Florida than here, but only 2 coaches have done it... not counting 1911. Is Mullen on spurrier and urban level? More likely he is a better than McE, but nowhere close to spurrier and urban

Bothrops
02-10-2018, 12:41 PM

While I agree, I think the cat is out of the bag about how he really feels for MSU, and it's nothing new. Because of that, I dont think Mullen will leave the kind of legacy that people originally presumed.

Coach34
02-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Mullen and crew were very good at evaluating talent that had yet to mature or needed a position change

They were not very good at closing and getting signatures in close battles for top prospects. Thats not going to change at Fla

BigEasyDawg
02-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Here is the problem with Cousin Eddie at Fl. When he recruited at MSU, he did a great job at finding players in the shadows of small towns in MS, LA, and AL and then putting them in an environment (weight room, cafeteria, coaching) to develop them like they never ever could have dreamed of at their small high schools.

HOWEVER, at FL, most of the players he is recruiting are 4 and 5 *s who are also being courted by FSU, MIAMI, BAMA, UGA, CLEMSON, OSU, and AUB. He can't compete with those guys and his little gimmicks do not work. He will get some talent at UF simply because of the location and history. However, they will not be as patient with him there and he will not last long unless he develops a QB every 2-3 years that can win the heisman.

TUSK
02-10-2018, 01:35 PM
If Dan has to negatively recruit against MSU for talent, he shouldn't even bother unpacking his shorts or sweet kicks...

bulldawg28
02-10-2018, 03:13 PM
If Dan has to negatively recruit against MSU for talent, he shouldn't even bother unpacking his shorts or sweet kicks...

Is this a slight?

TUSK
02-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Is this a slight?

No, sorry if you took it that way.... Mullen needs to worry about UGA, LSU, FSU, not MSU, IMO....

bulldawg28
02-10-2018, 04:04 PM
No, sorry if you took it that way.... Mullen needs to worry about UGA, LSU, FSU, not MSU, IMO....

Agreed. I don't necessarily like saying it but I think he'll be fine. Year 3 Kirby will have a problem on his hands.

RougeDawg
02-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Agreed. I don't necessarily like saying it but I think he'll be fine. Year 3 Kirby will have a problem on his hands.

The CC couldn?t beat OM on probation in recruiting Battles. What makes you think they?ll be able to beat all the programs going into Florida? Hell, Hev even managed to run off two of their top three OL prospects in less than two months. That shit show will continue, but now on a channel with more eyes viewing.

Todd4State
02-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Here is the problem with Cousin Eddie at Fl. When he recruited at MSU, he did a great job at finding players in the shadows of small towns in MS, LA, and AL and then putting them in an environment (weight room, cafeteria, coaching) to develop them like they never ever could have dreamed of at their small high schools.

HOWEVER, at FL, most of the players he is recruiting are 4 and 5 *s who are also being courted by FSU, MIAMI, BAMA, UGA, CLEMSON, OSU, and AUB. He can't compete with those guys and his little gimmicks do not work. He will get some talent at UF simply because of the location and history. However, they will not be as patient with him there and he will not last long unless he develops a QB every 2-3 years that can win the heisman.

Exactly. Just because Florida has a lot of in state talent it doesn't mean that it's easy to recruit there.

In some ways it may be more difficult than it is at MSU. No question there will be more pressure on Dan to recruit well there.

bulldawg28
02-10-2018, 05:05 PM
The CC couldn?t beat OM on probation in recruiting Battles. What makes you think they?ll be able to beat all the programs going into Florida? Hell, Hev even managed to run off two of their top three OL prospects in less than two months. That shit show will continue, but now on a channel with more eyes viewing.

When did he go against Ole Miss on probation? This year? This last class he put together was one of the best he's put together. The dude develops talent. There is enough talent in Florida that he'll be fine. Heck, they were #14 this year with only 2 months being there. He may never be #1 In recruiting but averaging around #10 will happen at Florida. Again, on top of that he develops talent. He'll be fine.

Todd4State
02-10-2018, 05:24 PM
When did he go against Ole Miss on probation? This year? This last class he put together was one of the best he's put together. The dude develops talent. There is enough talent in Florida that he'll be fine. Heck, they were #14 this year with only 2 months being there. He may never be #1 In recruiting but averaging around #10 will happen at Florida. Again, on top of that he develops talent. He'll be fine.

The question is will Dan's "fine" be good enough at Florida? They just fired a coach who went to the SEC Championship Game twice the past three years.

The reality is Florida wants a Saban/Harbaugh/Meyer type of hire and that to me is why all of this started in the first place. They fired a competent coach to try to hire Chip Kelly. When that didn't work they went after Scott Frost.....and then Mike Gundy....and finally Dan. And that being the reality I'm sure Florida is hoping long term that Dan can leave them in "good shape" until they can try to hire their next splash hire to replace him in three years. I remember saying that there was no way that they would run off McElwain without having someone in place first or it would be incredibly botched. Well, they botched it.

He can sell getting three star talent at MSU because most of realize that we live in a small state population wise and we also realize that many of the recruiting services underrate Mississippi talent. That's not the case in Florida. A three star in Mississippi may be a Johntan Banks type of talent. A three star in Florida is more often than not a Brandon Holloway type of talent.

bulldawg28
02-10-2018, 05:37 PM
The question is will Dan's "fine" be good enough at Florida? They just fired a coach who went to the SEC Championship Game twice the past three years.

The reality is Florida wants a Saban/Harbaugh/Meyer type of hire and that to me is why all of this started in the first place. They fired a competent coach to try to hire Chip Kelly. When that didn't work they went after Scott Frost.....and then Mike Gundy....and finally Dan. And that being the reality I'm sure Florida is hoping long term that Dan can leave them in "good shape" until they can try to hire their next splash hire to replace him in three years. I remember saying that there was no way that they would run off McElwain without having someone in place first or it would be incredibly botched. Well, they botched it.

He can sell getting three star talent at MSU because most of realize that we live in a small state population wise and we also realize that many of the recruiting services underrate Mississippi talent. That's not the case in Florida. A three star in Mississippi may be a Johntan Banks type of talent. A three star in Florida is more often than not a Brandon Holloway type of talent.

They fired him because of his lies. You're still talking about recruiting rankings. Florida will be a top #10 recruiting class there. He will not have to sign Holloway type of players. A 3* player in Mississippi will be a 4* in Florida. You should also know by now Mullen doesn't care about recruiting rankings he trusts his style of recruiting players

Todd4State
02-10-2018, 05:55 PM
They fired him because of his lies. You're still talking about recruiting rankings. Florida will be a top #10 recruiting class there. He will not have to sign Holloway type of players. A 3* player in Mississippi will be a 4* in Florida. You should also know by now Mullen doesn't care about recruiting rankings he trusts his style of recruiting players

And that's very petty for a school like Florida to do to a coach who was winning. Of course like I said the whole plan all along was to hire Chip Kelly and they just used McElwain's lies as a convenient excuse to try to justify it.

The whole problem is while Dan doesn't care about recruiting rankings- the fans at Florida most certainly do. And they most certainly will care if Florida State, Miami, and Georgia are beating them on and off of the field- which is what I think will happen. I'm sure the Florida money people will demand that Hevesy and Gonzalez are replaced at a minimum in a couple of years. I don't expect Dan to react very well when that happens.

bulldawg28
02-10-2018, 06:06 PM
And that's very petty for a school like Florida to do to a coach who was winning. Of course like I said the whole plan all along was to hire Chip Kelly and they just used McElwain's lies as a convenient excuse to try to justify it.

The whole problem is while Dan doesn't care about recruiting rankings- the fans at Florida most certainly do. And they most certainly will care if Florida State, Miami, and Georgia are beating them on and off of the field- which is what I think will happen. I'm sure the Florida money people will demand that Hevesy and Gonzalez are replaced at a minimum in a couple of years. I don't expect Dan to react very well when that happens.

You're acting like Hev and Gonzo weren't at Florida before recruiting and coaching the same positions. They did well then, they'll do well now. Let's be honest. If Mullen won at State he's damn sure gonna win at Florida. That's just the reality.

msstate7
02-10-2018, 06:20 PM
You're acting like Hev and Gonzo weren't at Florida before recruiting and coaching the same positions. They did well then, they'll do well now. Let's be honest. If Mullen won at State he's damn sure gonna win at Florida. That's just the reality.

Of course he will win at Florida. Even winning 10 games is not good enough there though. Their fans ran urban freaking Meyer off bc he got beat by saban, and had a down year bc cam newton transferred. To win at the level Florida will want, it will require recruiting at Georgia, bama, and Ohio state level.

You are right hev and gonzo could recruit at Florida, but how much was urban? Urban is one of the top 3 recruiters in the country. You put me on his staff and I can pull 4* all day with urban closing.

I think Mullen will win be a 10-win coach at Florida, but I think those 2 losses will be to FSU and Georgia. He cannot lose those 2 games

Commercecomet24
02-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Of course he will win at Florida. Even winning 10 games is not good enough there though. Their fans ran urban freaking Meyer off bc he got beat by saban, and had a down year bc cam newton transferred. To win at the level Florida will want, it will require recruiting at Georgia, bama, and Ohio state level.

You are right hev and gonzo could recruit at Florida, but how much was urban? Urban is one of the top 3 recruiters in the country. You put me on his staff and I can pull 4* all day with urban closing.

I think Mullen will win be a 10-win coach at Florida, but I think those 2 losses will be to FSU and Georgia. He cannot lose those 2 games

This is the correct view. danny boy will win 8-10 a year. He won?t beat Kirby or fsu and will struggle against Pruitt and maybe even muschamp. And we know his track record in big games. If he?s not in Atlanta in 3 years he?s unemployed.

gravedigger
02-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Is this a slight?

I didn?t take it that way. His point is that if Mullen is focusing on that type of tactic rather than the all of the advantages UF has and the more immediate threats to to them within the East and the state of Florida. If his priority is to run us down rather than those threats, he will fail quickly. And thus not need to unpack.

bulldawg28
02-10-2018, 06:30 PM
I didn?t take it that way. His point is that if Mullen is focusing on that type of tactic rather than the all of the advantages UF has and the more immediate threats to to them within the East and the state of Florida. If his priority is to run us down rather than those threats, he will fail quickly. And thus not need to unpack.

Go back up, he explained and we agreed.

Todd4State
02-10-2018, 06:42 PM

Hevesy was demoted from OL coach to TE coach while he was at Florida under Urban Meyer. And Meyer didn't take Billy with him to Ohio State. That may have been in part because Byrne had hired Hud to be our WR coach before he hired Dan. Which may be one reason why Dan resents Hud.

Todd4State
02-10-2018, 06:44 PM

Yep. And when Florida can't win those two games they're going to come down on Dan hard.

bulldawg28
02-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Hevesy was demoted from OL coach to TE coach while he was at Florida under Urban Meyer. And Meyer didn't take Billy with him to Ohio State. That may have been in part because Byrne had hired Hud to be our WR coach before he hired Dan. Which may be one reason why Dan resents Hud.

I don't understand that move of hiring someone's else staff. That would make most uncomfortable. I hear and see both sides of the argument. The dude seems rejuvenated and ready to coach again. He didn't win the championship he said he would here but he established us. He'll have a easier schedule than before and the talent to get it done. I expect him to succeed and beat upper echelon teams. Mullen had no problem believing he could beat Bama our players didn't until this year. When i played and we beat Bama, Auburn, Florida etc it was because the players believed. Jackie Wayne was the same the good years and bad. I hate things happened the way they did but the guy can coach.

Todd4State
02-10-2018, 08:44 PM
I don't understand that move of hiring someone's else staff. That would make most uncomfortable. I hear and see both sides of the argument. The dude seems rejuvenated and ready to coach again. He didn't win the championship he said he would here but he established us. He'll have a easier schedule than before and the talent to get it done. I expect him to succeed and beat upper echelon teams. Mullen had no problem believing he could beat Bama our players didn't until this year. When i played and we beat Bama, Auburn, Florida etc it was because the players believed. Jackie Wayne was the same the good years and bad. I hate things happened the way they did but the guy can coach.

I don't understand or know why Byrne hired Hud and Les Koenning before hiring a staff either. I'm not sure if alumni pressure caused it to happen or if Byrne thought Hud would be really good one day and just wasn't quite ready yet and wanted to keep him around in case our then new coach left. Les was on Felker's staff and of course Rockey was still around at that time. And of course Hud has always had a lot of MSU allies.

I'm not sure that I would say that Dan established us or not. I think Jackie established us at least as much as Dan did. Literally the only thing people wanted to do when Jackie took over was beat Ole Miss and maybe go to a Liberty Bowl every once few years. As you very well know Jackie came in and started beating people and taking us to bowls every other year his first ten in an era when it was more difficult to go to bowls. I think Jackie believed in our players and he actually even won the SEC West plus 1999 was by my measure the best season we have had the past 25 years. That's why I think Jackie was better than Dan despite how it ended.

The thing about Dan is I think when he first came here with Byrne it was kind of using us as a stepping stone and I think everyone was OK with that. Then Stricklin took over and then all of a sudden it was "we need continuity!" and we ended up overpaying for a coach that only intended to use us as a stepping stone. Doing that made it really hard for him to move on. Dan got caught up in his long range career goals- and it's fine to have those and everyone probably should have those- but the problem is Dan let it interfere with his job performance at Mississippi State. And while it's OK to have long range goals you shouldn't let them interfere with your current job.

While Dan may have believed that HE could beat Alabama I'm not sure that he believed in our players being able to beat them based on how he called those games. That and he puts his own personal football ideology ahead of everything else- like running Holloway up the middle. I think that's why he called so many QB runs- because he trusted Dak and Fitz more than any of the other players on the team even if it was 4th and 14.

It was starting to get to the point where Dan was holding us back more than he was moving us forward.

Goldendawg
02-10-2018, 09:29 PM
I don't understand or know why Byrne hired Hud and Les Koenning before hiring a staff either. I'm not sure if alumni pressure caused it to happen or if Byrne thought Hud would be really good one day and just wasn't quite ready yet and wanted to keep him around in case our then new coach left. Les was on Felker's staff and of course Rockey was still around at that time. And of course Hud has always had a lot of MSU allies.

I'm not sure that I would say that Dan established us or not. I think Jackie established us at least as much as Dan did. Literally the only thing people wanted to do when Jackie took over was beat Ole Miss and maybe go to a Liberty Bowl every once few years. As you very well know Jackie came in and started beating people and taking us to bowls every other year his first ten in an era when it was more difficult to go to bowls. I think Jackie believed in our players and he actually even won the SEC West plus 1999 was by my measure the best season we have had the past 25 years. That's why I think Jackie was better than Dan despite how it ended.

The thing about Dan is I think when he first came here with Byrne it was kind of using us as a stepping stone and I think everyone was OK with that. Then Stricklin took over and then all of a sudden it was "we need continuity!" and we ended up overpaying for a coach that only intended to use us as a stepping stone. Doing that made it really hard for him to move on. Dan got caught up in his long range career goals- and it's fine to have those and everyone probably should have those- but the problem is Dan let it interfere with his job performance at Mississippi State. And while it's OK to have long range goals you shouldn't let them interfere with your current job.

While Dan may have believed that HE could beat Alabama I'm not sure that he believed in our players being able to beat them based on how he called those games. That and he puts his own personal football ideology ahead of everything else- like running Holloway up the middle. I think that's why he called so many QB runs- because he trusted Dak and Fitz more than any of the other players on the team even if it was 4th and 14.

It was starting to get to the point where Dan was holding us back more than he was moving us forward.

Jackie will always be the "Kang". I'll never forget being in Atlanta when Kevin Prentiss took the punt all the way back and we were ahead of Tennessee in the 4th for a SEC championship. I hate how his last few years ended but UNM and the NCAA made it hard for us to continue to recruit. He was and forever will be "True Maroon". Dan too selfish to be thought of in that regard.

Commercecomet24
02-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Jackie will always be the "Kang". I'll never forget being in Atlanta when Kevin Prentiss took the punt all the way back and we were ahead of Tennessee in the 4th for a SEC championship. I hate how his last few years ended but UNM and the NCAA made it hard for us to continue to recruit. He was and forever will be "True Maroon". Dan too selfish to be thought of in that regard.

Great post! Dead on accurate!

Jackie is one of us!

bulldawg28
02-10-2018, 10:00 PM

There's no doubt Jackie Wayne is the man. I agree with 99% of this post. My one disagreement is that Jackie did more. Jackie won one more important game than Dan (West Championship) but every record Jackie did Mullen broke. I love Jackie he coached me, but Dan did more. The winning record, team records, and bowl records, don't lie.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
02-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Is this a slight?

You are not very smart, are you?

Todd4State
02-10-2018, 10:32 PM

Tennessee is VERY lucky that we didn't have a healthy JJ Johnson.

Goldendawg
02-10-2018, 10:44 PM
There's no doubt Jackie Wayne is the man. I agree with 99% of this post. My one disagreement is that Jackie did more. Jackie won one more important game than Dan (West Championship) but every record Jackie did Mullen broke. I love Jackie he coached me, but Dan did more. The winning record, team records, and bowl records, don't lie.

Too lazy to look it up, but Dan didn't break Jackie's record for # of victories I don't think. If he had stayed one more year, I am sure he would have. I just found Jackie to be more down to earth and genuine. Have a picture of him holding my 3 month old son at a summer get together, ( he turned 17 this past week). It was a lot harder to make it to a bowl game while Jackie was our coach, wasn't "500 bowl games" back then and fewer regular season games. I appreciated the good things and places Dan took us, but it always seemed to be about him at the end of the past 6 seasons ( 4 losses to UNM), when the annual job search started. I'm sure his ex-players think of him as you do Jackie, but I think it became too much about him instead of State.

Todd4State
02-10-2018, 10:45 PM

Dan had a higher winning percentage but Jackie has more wins overall. The biggest thing is Jackie had twice as many top 25 wins as Dan had. Also had the SEC West Championship. Dan didn't have as many "bad" losses as Jackie and a better bowl record but in general his big wins don't have as much bang as Jackie's did.

You also have to take into account that Jackie's last three years really drag him down a lot and the fact that Jackie had to coach one less game a year than Dan for most of his career- and the 12th game would have been against a I-AA team because the rules about playing I-AA teams was different in the 1990's. That in and of itself gives Dan 9 "free" wins almost that Jackie would have won well over 90% of the time if not 100%. I imagine that with the current rules in place we would have certainly gone bowling in 1996 and 1997 (5-6 and 7-4) with today's scheduling and bowl rules and no doubt Dan would not have gone bowling in 2016 with the 1990's bowl structure not to mention a couple of Dan's 6-6 seasons that would have had us on the bubble in the 1990's. We may have even gone bowling in 1993 under the current structure with a 12th game depending on if we could have beaten Arkansas State and Arkansas in OT which wasn't in place in 1993.

Todd4State
02-10-2018, 10:48 PM
Too lazy to look it up, but Dan didn't break Jackie's record for # of victories I don't think. If he had stayed one more year, I am sure he would have. I just found Jackie to be more down to earth and genuine. Have a picture of him holding my 3 month old son at a summer get together, ( he turned 17 this past week). It was a lot harder to make it to a bowl game while Jackie was our coach, wasn't "500 bowl games" back then and fewer regular season games. I appreciated the good things and places Dan took us, but it always seemed to be about him at the end of the past 6 seasons ( 4 losses to UNM), when the annual job search started. I'm sure his ex-players think of him as you do Jackie, but I think it became too much about him instead of State.

I think if Dan had won at least two out of three Egg Bowls from either 2014, 2015, or this year he would be looked at MUCH differently. Each of those three losses ended the season on a sour note and cost us bowl spots that would have greatly enhanced his image.

Goldendawg
02-10-2018, 10:54 PM
I've still got the program (in very good shape) of Jackie's 1st game he coached at State. I've thought about getting his address and sending it to him in case he doesn't have it. I sent him a wood and cloth clown puppet I bought at an arts and crafts fair back when he was Coach and he sent a great thank you note. He did a lot of things for kids behind the scenes and never blew his own horn. Hail Kang Jackie and Hail State!

Goldendawg
02-10-2018, 10:57 PM
I think if Dan had won at least two out of three Egg Bowls from either 2014, 2015, or this year he would be looked at MUCH differently. Each of those three losses ended the season on a sour note and cost us bowl spots that would have greatly enhanced his image.

Agree 100%. Still a bad taste for me. He was too busy with other things at the end of too many seasons his last few years with us. Some of the bowls were very anti-climatic after losses to UNM, some of which we had a better team.

bulldawg28
02-11-2018, 06:10 AM
You are not very smart, are you?

Your dad should have pulled out. So is your mother the dumb one or him?

bulldawg28
02-11-2018, 06:23 AM

Dan Mullen's record 69-46 Bowl record 5-2 Highest ranking #1

Jackie Wayne record 74-76 bowl record 2-4 Highest ranking #8

I respect your opinion but that screams Mullen is better to me. People also forget Mullen had two players die during his tenure just like Jackie. He was also down to earth. He's great to former players encouraging them to come back. After Sherill there was no connection.
I've said it several times and I'll keep saying it. Mullen reminded me alot of Jackie. They are similar. This thread started on the premise of negative recruiting. Jackie' s tactics were a whole lot worse. I remember him saying there has never been a kid of he wanted him to commit he could. He wasn't the clown master for nothing..lol.

msstate7
02-11-2018, 08:45 AM
Dan Mullen's record 69-46 Bowl record 5-2 Highest ranking #1

Jackie Wayne record 74-76 bowl record 2-4 Highest ranking #8

I respect your opinion but that screams Mullen is better to me. People also forget Mullen had two players die during his tenure just like Jackie. He was also down to earth. He's great to former players encouraging them to come back. After Sherill there was no connection.
I've said it several times and I'll keep saying it. Mullen reminded me alot of Jackie. They are similar. This thread started on the premise of negative recruiting. Jackie' s tactics were a whole lot worse. I remember him saying there has never been a kid of he wanted him to commit he could. He wasn't the clown master for nothing..lol.

Yeah, Mullen was clearly better here

Leeshouldveflanked
02-11-2018, 08:48 AM
Forget Dan, he's just an arrogant coach who runs his mouth, the AD is who I have a problem with....

maroonmania
02-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Yes, Dan put a more consistent winner on the field and never had the 'awful' season where we dropped to the 3 to 4 win level like Jackie BUT its really not a fair comparison. For those of us who went through MSU football in the 80s and when Jackie took over in 1991 we had a podunk stadium with the single deck East side with a VERY small fanbase and a VERY small overall athletic budget. To compare that to what Mullen took over is really apples and oranges given how everything has exploded being part of the SEC. The biggest thing is when Dan took over the SEC had already separated itself from the smaller non-SEC conferences around us. That was not the case under JWS. I can remember when we were very worried playing the Memphis, Tulane and USMs of the world. Losing to them would be considered a major upset today (essentially like us blowing the USA game). Dan even got the benefit of an extra non-conference game and WAY more available bowls. At least 3 of Dan's bowl trips would not have occurred during Jackie's tenure with the same record. Also, back in Jackie's day we couldn't even fill up a 41,000 seat stadium in 1998 with the SEC West on the line. Could you even imagine such a thing today? Jackie really started from square one building the program when no MSU fan really thought we could compete. Yes, Dan had to deal with Saban but he just had so much more to work with than Jackie that I don't feel you can directly compare. I actually think JWS accomplished more given what he started with than what Dan did.

msbulldog
02-11-2018, 12:15 PM

Last line 'rings true'!

bulldawg28
02-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Yes, Dan put a more consistent winner on the field and never had the 'awful' season where we dropped to the 3 to 4 win level like Jackie BUT its really not a fair comparison. For those of us who went through MSU football in the 80s and when Jackie took over in 1991 we had a podunk stadium with the single deck East side with a VERY small fanbase and a VERY small overall athletic budget. To compare that to what Mullen took over is really apples and oranges given how everything has exploded being part of the SEC. The biggest thing is when Dan took over the SEC had already separated itself from the smaller non-SEC conferences around us. That was not the case under JWS. I can remember when we were very worried playing the Memphis, Tulane and USMs of the world. Losing to them would be considered a major upset today (essentially like us blowing the USA game). Dan even got the benefit of an extra non-conference game and WAY more available bowls. At least 3 of Dan's bowl trips would not have occurred during Jackie's tenure with the same record. Also, back in Jackie's day we couldn't even fill up a 41,000 seat stadium in 1998 with the SEC West on the line. Could you even imagine such a thing today? Jackie really started from square one building the program when no MSU fan really thought we could compete. Yes, Dan had to deal with Saban but he just had so much more to work with than Jackie that I don't feel you can directly compare. I actually think JWS accomplished more given what he started with than what Dan did.

I agree that Jackie took lemons and made lemonade. Dan is responsible for a larger stadium, new football facility and renewed sense and belief in the football program.

gravedigger
02-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Your dad should have pulled out. So is your mother the dumb one or him?

This kind of post should get someone at least a temporary ban. It?s juvinile at best. Grow up or go away

msbulldog
02-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Dan going after our recruits this year is a back-stabbing move, he is now the enemy to me. Such a difference Joe-Mo refused to poach on his former employer, CLASS.

bulldawg28
02-11-2018, 12:48 PM
This kind of post should get someone at least a temporary ban. It?s juvinile at best. Grow up or go away

He started with a personal insult I responded back. Kick rocks

maroonmania
02-11-2018, 02:13 PM
I agree that Jackie took lemons and made lemonade. Dan is responsible for a larger stadium, new football facility and renewed sense and belief in the football program.

That is sort of a wash to me given Jackie got the East side expansion with skyboxes done under LT the penny pincher. And before Sherrill there was no belief in the football program to 'renew'.

redstickdawg
02-11-2018, 02:20 PM
I agree that Jackie took lemons and made lemonade. Fogelsong hiring Ninja is responsible for a larger stadium, new football facility and Don and our athletes renewed sense and belief in the football program.

FIFY

bulldawg28
02-11-2018, 02:39 PM
That is sort of a wash to me given Jackie got the East side expansion with skyboxes done under LT the penny pincher. And before Sherrill there was no belief in the football program to 'renew'.

Agreed

Commercecomet24
02-11-2018, 02:57 PM

Well said,

was21
02-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Sherrill also got us on probation. Mullen leaves Sherrill in the dust in all aspects..just the way it is

bulldawg28
02-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Sherrill also got us on probation. Mullen leaves Sherrill in the dust in all aspects..just the way it is

Absolute truth.

Bully13
02-11-2018, 08:37 PM

"in all aspects" ? seriously?

Bully13
02-11-2018, 08:39 PM
Muffins is a dickhead. the Kang is loyal .

I seen it dawg
02-11-2018, 08:42 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha kirby ain?t gonna have any problem with country club boys. Shirley you joke

I seen it dawg
02-11-2018, 08:44 PM

He ain?t winning any more at Florida than he did here.

I seen it dawg
02-11-2018, 08:47 PM

It was always more about him. **** Mullen

TUSK
02-11-2018, 09:40 PM
He started with a personal insult I responded back. Kick rocks

Ahhhh, the "He Started It" Defense! A Classic...

I think I would have been more offensive and proactive and employed the "I'm Rubber, You're Glue" Tactic...

DownwardDawg
02-11-2018, 09:52 PM

Merlins is gay. Sherrill is the GOAT!!!
Sherrill did what he did with LT as the AD. Merlin had the Ninja and Keenum. JWS is twice the coach Mullins aspires to be. Every time I walked into the stadium in the 90’s, I EXPECTED TO WIN. The last 9 years when we played Bama or in a huge game, I knew we were losing.

DownwardDawg
02-11-2018, 09:53 PM

I think I would have been more offensive and proactive and employed the "I'm Rubber, You're Glue" Tactic...

Lol

maroonmania
02-11-2018, 10:13 PM

If you really believe this 'leaving in the dust' perspective then you have little appreciation for the history of our program and how things evolved. Yes, JWS did come to us with an NCAA bullseye on his back, in fact that is the only way we got him. Otherwise he would have been leading some elite program somewhere because, unlike Mullen, JWS was a proven big time HC before he ever set foot in Starkville. But it was a very different NCAA at the time where at one time in the 90s nearly half the SEC was on some kind of probation. Now days unless you go to OM levels of cheating the NCAA hardly bats an eye and when they do, you still get very little punishment. And even with that, with the Redmond deal, Mullen actually did get us on probation as well. Guess we will just agree to disagree.

bulldawg28
02-12-2018, 06:30 AM

Lol...Truedat.

Count Istvan Teleky
02-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Dan going after our recruits this year is a back-stabbing move, he is now the enemy to me. Such a difference Joe-Mo refused to poach on his former employer, CLASS.

He's not burning any bridges in the event that Franklin goes to the NFL. There won't be any stigma on him in the eyes of the PSU alums.

Coach34
02-12-2018, 10:50 AM

Jackie got the upper decks built in spite of LT and even had to give up a home game vs Fla because LT was offered $1MM to do it.
To show you had bad it was under LT- Jackie tried over and over to get one of the practice fields fixed because part of it had sunk some- LT kept putting him off- we lost a WR to an ACL during practice because of it. LT nearly got his ass beat over that one.

Mullen didnt have to fight those battles

I seen it dawg
02-12-2018, 10:58 AM
**** Mullen

Tbonewannabe
02-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Jackie got the upper decks built in spite of LT and even had to give up a home game vs Fla because LT was offered $1MM to do it.
To show you had bad it was under LT- Jackie tried over and over to get one of the practice fields fixed because part of it had sunk some- LT kept putting him off- we lost a WR to an ACL during practice because of it. LT nearly got his ass beat over that one.

Mullen didnt have to fight those battles

Also, Bama might not have been as great as they are now but they were still in a National Title hunt almost every year. The SEC West might be as tough as possible now but it was still one of the toughest in the country at that time and we weren't as close to even footing then. Dan benefitted greatly from the SEC money almost leveling the playing field combined with almost 4 OOC wins every year. Dan gave us stability but Jackie gave us a real chance at the SEC title in Atlanta.

Coach34
02-12-2018, 11:42 AM
Also, Bama might not have been as great as they are now but they were still in a National Title hunt almost every year. The SEC West might be as tough as possible now but it was still one of the toughest in the country at that time and we weren't as close to even footing then. Dan benefitted greatly from the SEC money almost leveling the playing field combined with almost 4 OOC wins every year. Dan gave us stability but Jackie gave us a real chance at the SEC title in Atlanta.

Jackie and Richard Williams raised the ceilings for our programs

Mullen and Stands brought consistency and raised the floors

Tbonewannabe
02-12-2018, 11:46 AM

That is very accurate. Mullen showed us we should be in a bowl every year with a chance at a NY6 every couple. Stans showed us that we could be in the postseason every year in either the NCAA or NIT. Jackie and Richard both showed us we can go toe to toe with the big boys and beat them. Stans and Mullen rarely beat great teams but they also didn't lose to crap teams very often.

yjnkdawg
02-12-2018, 12:05 PM
He's not burning any bridges in the event that Franklin goes to the NFL. There won't be any stigma on him in the eyes of the PSU alums.

You may be correct, but I believe that JoeMo just did not believe it was right (ethical) for him to go after players that PSU was recruiting for their 2018 signing class.

Dawgtini
02-12-2018, 12:15 PM

You know, I have to say this is a "buy". Well stated. I agree.

PassInterference
02-12-2018, 01:06 PM

Mullen got us to the Orange Bowl. He raised the ceiling.

Mullen may not have won the SECW, but that?s because other teams raised their ceilings too.

Coach34
02-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Mullen got us to the Orange Bowl. He raised the ceiling.

Mullen may not have won the SECW, but that?s because other teams raised their ceilings too.

Jackie got us an SEC West title and a Cotton Bowl. For the first time in modern history- we showed we could compete. We beat Bama one time in the 36 years before Jackie arrived. He beat them 4 times in the span of 7 years- not to mention us getting screwed in 1999.
Jackie evened up the Egg Bowl rivalry and set it on its ear for the 1st time since the 1940's.

It's kind of like being Led Zeppelin. They are great and people look to them as one of the best ever- but there are people now that are doing extraordinary music now as well. The difference? Zeppelin was the 1st to show people it could be done. Blazed the trail. Without Jackie- there is no Mullen.

Tbonewannabe
02-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Jackie got us an SEC West title and a Cotton Bowl. For the first time in modern history- we showed we could compete. We beat Bama one time in the 36 years before Jackie arrived. He beat them 4 times in the span of 7 years- not to mention us getting screwed in 1999.
Jackie evened up the Egg Bowl rivalry and set it on its ear for the 1st time since the 1940's.

It's kind of like being Led Zeppelin. They are great and people look to them as one of the best ever- but there are people now that are doing extraordinary music now as well. The difference? Zeppelin was the 1st to show people it could be done. Blazed the trail. Without Jackie- there is no Mullen.

Good job of getting me pissed off on a Monday. I will never forget MSU somehow getting a holding call on a punt return where the penalty was somehow behind the damn returner. The only person back there was the damn ref. That game was a consistent, hey MSU just got momentum, throw a flag for whatever bullshit you can. I am surprised a ref didn't call a balk or a double dribble in that damn game.

Turfdawg67
02-12-2018, 03:48 PM
Great post! Dead on accurate!

Jackie is one of us!

I?ll never forget the time the Kang and I were out at MSU GC?s driving range at the same time. I was in awe so I went over to where he was hitting and said ?Hey coach?... no reaction. I waited a few minutes and said it again, he just kept hitting. I tried once more and finally, without looking up said, exasperated, ?Yessss??. I said that I was a big fan and just wanted to say hello. He nodded and kinda smiled and went back to hitting his range balls. Feeling like a d**k, I went back to my station to finish my bucket of balls. A few minutes later this voice behind says ?Your backswing is to flat and your not keeping your head down?. It was JWS giving me golf lessons!! I guess he felt bad for blowing me off and came over to watch me hit. We chit-chatted a bit before he left. It was awesome!!

Commercecomet24
02-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Good job of getting me pissed off on a Monday. I will never forget MSU somehow getting a holding call on a punt return where the penalty was somehow behind the damn returner. The only person back there was the damn ref. That game was a consistent, hey MSU just got momentum, throw a flag for whatever bullshit you can. I am surprised a ref didn't call a balk or a double dribble in that damn game.

I was at that game in Tuscaloosa! Talk about phantom calls, geez! Bama also score the go ahead TD on a pick play. The pick play happened right in front of me and Smoot was screaming from the get go. While I subscribe to the notion that you have to be good enough to win no matter what, the officials in that game GREATLY affected the outcome. Those 2 plays cost us 7 on that called back punt return and basically gave them 7 on the pick play.

Commercecomet24
02-12-2018, 03:54 PM

Perfect analogy! Very well said. The Kang was the first coach who showed us we could compete and win and we weren't second fiddle to anyone. I shudder to think where our program would be if we hadn't of hired JWS. He changed the course of football at State even with the way it ended(which happened because of the turds at unm and their jealousy).

Tbonewannabe
02-12-2018, 04:00 PM
I was at that game in Tuscaloosa! Talk about phantom calls, geez! Bama also score the go ahead TD on a pick play. The pick play happened right in front of me and Smoot was screaming from the get go. While I subscribe to the notion that you have to be good enough to win no matter what, the officials in that game GREATLY affected the outcome. Those 2 plays cost us 7 on that called back punt return and basically gave them 7 on the pick play.

My wife and I actually went to every game in 1999 and stayed from kickoff to final whistle. The Bama game wasn't as horrible as the BYU game but the refs made game changing penalties at just the right time. Every time we started getting momentum, the ref threw a flag or in the case of the pick play, didn't. I have seen too many LB or Defensive Ends get dragged down from behind by Bama Oline to get surprised by a lack of holding calls now. The refs have to really do something crazy for it to upset me. I take the same approach watching MSU against UK basketball.