PDA

View Full Version : Sankey?s Letter in the gun law.....

Pages : [1] 2

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 12:09 PM
that passed the Mississippi house leaves little doubt that we will no longer be able to have SEC home games if athletic events aren?t exempted. It also hints that we might be removed from the SEC. I favor gun rights but this law is just stupid. Guns have no place in the hands of drunk fans at an athletic event.

msstate7
02-08-2018, 12:11 PM
Does the commissioner have that power?

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Does the commissioner have that power?

The members do, and he represents them.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-08-2018, 12:16 PM
This only applies to enhanced carry license holders. Not every Tom, Dick, and Harry has one and/or can pass the requirements to obtain one. I'm on the fence, but for Sankey and the media to paint this as broad as they're trying is complete BS.

msstate7
02-08-2018, 12:17 PM
The members do, and he represents them.
In other words, no. He cannot kick a school out of the sec.

ETA... I think it is rather dumb to carry in a college football game. Even so, I think it 100x more likely sankey gets the boot than state and OM

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Wow, he is basically threatening MSU or else:

"Given the intense atmosphere surrounding athletic events, adding weapons increases meaningful safety concerns and is expected to negatively impact the intercollegiate athletics programs at your universities in several ways," Sankey said in a letter to Keenum and the University of Mississippi's chancellor. "If HB1083 is adopted to permit weapons in college sports venues, it is likely that competitors will decline opportunities to play in Oxford and Starkville, game officials will decline assignments, personal safety concerns will be used against Mississippi’s universities during the recruiting process and fan attendance will be negatively impacted."

msstate7
02-08-2018, 12:21 PM
Wow, he is basically threatening MSU or else:

"Given the intense atmosphere surrounding athletic events, adding weapons increases meaningful safety concerns and is expected to negatively impact the intercollegiate athletics programs at your universities in several ways," Sankey said in a letter to Keenum and the University of Mississippi's chancellor. "If HB1083 is adopted to permit weapons in college sports venues, it is likely that competitors will decline opportunities to play in Oxford and Starkville, game officials will decline assignments, personal safety concerns will be used against Mississippi’s universities during the recruiting process and fan attendance will be negatively impacted."

Does Sankey really wanna go anti-gun in the Deep South? He is a native New Yorker.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Does Sankey really wanna go anti-gun in the Deep South? He is a native New Yorker.

I believe Keenum is against it too, btw. Also, being against this provision, doesn't make you "anti-gun", 7.

ETA, I think you meant "come off as anti-gun", which he probably will, considering the binary thinking and hysteria common with these types of discussions.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 12:24 PM
This only applies to enhanced carry license holders. Not every Tom, Dick, and Harry has one and/or can pass the requirements to obtain one. I'm on the fence, but for Sankey and the media to paint this as broad as they're trying is complete BS.

He knows that.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 12:26 PM

His stance isn’t anti-gun. I agree with him and I’m very pro gun rights.

msstate7
02-08-2018, 12:27 PM
I believe Keenum is against it too, btw. Also, being against this provision, doesn't make you "anti-gun", 7.

I am not for this law. I do recognize that messing with someone?s gun will make you anti-gun in the south esp.

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 12:27 PM
I would never bring my weapon into a college sporting event, and i'm very pro gun rights. That being said Sankey probably should've kept this between him and the universities at this point. Discretion sometimes is a good thing.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 12:28 PM
I am not for this law. I do recognize that messing with someone?s gun will make you anti-gun in the south esp.

Gotcha. I had already edited my post by the time you posted this, btw.

WinningIsRelentless
02-08-2018, 12:30 PM
I would never bring my weapon into a college sporting event, and i'm very pro gun rights. That being said Sankey probably should've kept this between him and the universities at this point. Discretion sometimes is a good thing.

The problem with that is the idiots in Jackson who would continue on with it and screw state, ole miss and usm.

Matty Dispatch
02-08-2018, 12:31 PM
The spirit of the law is obviously to create less soft targets. Maybe it would be a good idea for every SEC school to take those millions of dollars they are making at football games and beef up armed security even more.

A compromise will be made. The SEC commish and both presidents are opposing the bill, and you ain't taking the SEC out of Mississippi without a fight.

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 12:31 PM
The problem with that is the idiots in Jackson who would continue on with it and screw state, ole miss and usm.

You're probably right.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 12:32 PM

Would you rather this been made public after it passes?

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Would you rather this been made public after it passes?

Look, I'm not for this. But I want to know did Sankey try to address this privately without bringing the media into it. Sometimes things can be done without dragging it through the media and creating a bigger s***storm. That's all i'm saying. If that's what it takes to keep us from being screwed by the SEC then so be it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-08-2018, 12:35 PM
that passed the Mississippi house leaves little doubt that we will no longer be able to have SEC home games if athletic events aren?t exempted. It also hints that we might be removed from the SEC. I favor gun rights but this law is just stupid. Guns have no place in the hands of drunk fans at an athletic event.

When did they start selling alcohol at games? Oh that's right, they don't.

Who's to say that guns aren't already in the stadium?

Pathetic that drunk fans are an argument against it and yet selling beer at stadiums is not even considered.

mparkerfd20
02-08-2018, 12:43 PM
https://www.facebook.com/repandygipson/posts/10208731520520170

If link doesn't work:

Andy Gipson
17 hrs ?
So, today right after the House voted 80-29 to pass HB 1083, this carefully worded letter was released by the SEC. Two things are immediately obvious: 1) the SEC must not know that our State enhanced carry law has permitted concealed carry on campus including ball games since the passage of HB 506 in 2011; and 2) someone in the higher echelons of state bureaucracy is coordinating or attempting to coordinate a partial repeal of our State gun laws by veiled threats such as this. Only 29 Democrats voted against the bill today. Everyone who fought the bill today voted for it in 2011.

Is this evidence of the "deep state" manipulating and working against the people?

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 12:47 PM

If link doesn't work:

Andy Gipson
17 hrs ?
So, today right after the House voted 80-29 to pass HB 1083, this carefully worded letter was released by the SEC. Two things are immediately obvious: 1) the SEC must not know that our State enhanced carry law has permitted concealed carry on campus including ball games since the passage of HB 506 in 2011; and 2) someone in the higher echelons of state bureaucracy is coordinating or attempting to coordinate a partial repeal of our State gun laws by veiled threats such as this. Only 29 Democrats voted against the bill today. Everyone who fought the bill today voted for it in 2011.

Is this evidence of the "deep state" manipulating and working against the people?

That is interesting.

PassInterference
02-08-2018, 12:49 PM
1. I am pro-gun.

2. I don?t like this proposed change to the law. Guns aren?t allowed in bars. Tailgating is a giant bar. Plus emotions and fights.

3. I also don?t like that sports organizations are leveraging themselves to influence local politics. The NCAA and SEC are overstepping their bounds in placing threats and ultimatums against laws made be freely-elected state legislators.

It?s not whether or not you are for or against a particular law. The ends here do not justify the means. The NCAA and SEC should stick to sports.

LC Dawg
02-08-2018, 12:51 PM
I think this is an extremely dumb idea for many reasons but I don't carry so I don't study the numbers. Out of curiosity what is a guess at the number of enhanced carry license holders that would be in Davis Wade during an SEC game?

Political Hack
02-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Anyone intent on carrying in a gun to an SEC football game needs to have their damn head examined. If you’re not a LEO, leave it in your vehicle.

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 12:52 PM
1. I am pro-gun.

2. I don?t like this proposed change to the law. Guns aren?t allowed in bars. Tailgating is a giant bar. Plus emotions and fights.

3. I also don?t like that sports organizations are leveraging themselves to influence local politics. The NCAA and SEC are overstepping their bounds in placing threats and ultimatums against laws made be freely-elected state legislators.

It?s not whether or not you are for or against a particular law. The ends here do not justify the means. The NCAA and SEC should stick to sports.

This exactly where I'm at, and you stated it much better than I did. Well said.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Look, I'm not for this. But I want to know did Sankey try to address this privately without bringing the media into it. Sometimes things can be done without dragging it through the media and creating a bigger s***storm. That's all i'm saying. If that's what it takes to keep us from being screwed by the SEC then so be it.

It was a letter addressed to the heads of the universities. Keenum has already issued a public statement against the law. This is a bad law and the hue and cry is needed to hopefully get it voted down.

RougeDawg
02-08-2018, 12:56 PM

Hahahahahaha. The fact that you think drunk fans will just be bringing in guns willy nilly explains all I need to know about your knowledge or lack there of on the laws and statistics. Pretty sure being drunk with a firearm is already against the law no matter the permit you carry. So they were committing a crime to begin with which current laws aren’t preventing. If laws prevent crime we wouldn’t have crime. Logic.

This law states that persons with enhanced carry permits (aka police officers and some civilians with equal training and certifications) into the stadium. Currently a non uniformed police officer(ECL Holder) is not allowed to carry into a game, even though the current law states they can. What is the difference in a police officer if they have their uniform on or blue jeans and a t-shirt. This allows people to sue the public institutions from preventing it.

Secondly, all CCL and ECL holders, including myself, know not to carry if you plan on inbibing even just a little. It?s the main thing they beat into you and the penalties for gun carry holders are much more severe than normal citizens. Common sense and logic applied here.

Lastly, CCL and ECL commit less crimes per capita, not overall, than actual law enforcement officials with essentially the same ECL permits. Meaning per the amount of people who hold these permits they commit a lower percentage of crimes than law enforcement personnel. We are talking a smaller percentage of crimes from a small percentage of population. More logic.

All of this boils down to overall public gun and gun law ignorance. The stats bear out that persons willing to put themselves through the training and FBI requirements to legally obtain these permits, adhere to current laws and gun laws more strictly than the actual persons enforcing said laws and gun laws. Logic again.

Some of you people really need to stop watching tv, stop reading the propaganda papers and magazines , and start looking at statistics. If you were to believe the propaganda, you?d currently see murder rates throughout the roof, because after all Dont more guns equal more murders? Gun sales have skyrocketed over the last decade. Where are the murders to mirror this skyrocket? Isn?t that what you were all told? Didn?t happen, same way Texas didn?t see gun crimes increase after they passed concealed carry. In fact the exact opposite and logical result occurred, less crimes and murder. Funny how logic and common sense play out time and time again, yet the statistics get printed in the classified section if they get printed at all.

On a diffeeent note, wouldn?t it be safer for police officers on and off duty to be carrying at events? Sankey is essentially saying it would not be, while saying he is concerned about event safety. This is Liberal Logic.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 12:57 PM
That is interesting.

Individual places are still allowed to ban guns, including enhanced carry.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 12:57 PM
Hahahahahaha. The fact that you think drunk fans will just be bringing in guns willy nilly explains all I need to know about your knowledge or lack there of on the laws and statistics.

This law states that persons with enhanced carry permits (aka police officers and some civilians with equal training and certifications) into the stadium. Currently a non uniformed police officer(ECL Holder) is not allowed to carry into a game, even though the current law states they can. What is the difference in a police officer if they have their uniform on or blue jeans and a t-shirt. This allows people to sue the public institutions from preventing it.

Secondly, all CCL and ECL holders, including myself, know not to carry if you plan on inbibing even just a little. It?s the main thing they beat into you and the penalties for gun carry holders are much more severe than normal citizens. Common sense and logic applied here.

Lastly, CCL and ECL commit less crimes per capita, not overall, than actual law enforcement officials with essentially the same ECL permits. Meaning per the amount of people who hold these permits they commit a lower percentage of crimes than law enforcement personnel. We are talking a smaller percentage of crimes from a small percentage of population. More logic.

All of this boils down to overall public gun and gun law ignorance. The stats bear out that persons willing to put themselves through the training and FBI requirements to legally obtain these permits, adhere to current laws and gun laws more strictly than the actual persons enforcing said laws and gun laws. Logic again.

Some of you people really need to stop watching tv, stop reading the propaganda papers and magazines , and start looking at statistics. If you were to believe the propaganda, you?d currently see murder rates throughout the roof, because after all Dont more guns equal more murders? Gun sales have skyrocketed over the last decade. Where are the murders to mirror this skyrocket? Isn?t that what you were all told? Didn?t happen, same way Texas didn?t see gun crimes increase after they passed concealed carry. In fact the exact opposite and logical result occurred, less crimes and murder. Funny how logic and common sense play out time and time again, yet the statistics get printed in the classified section if they get printed at all.

On a diffeeent note, wouldn?t it be safer for police officers on and off duty to be carrying at events? Sankey is essentially saying it would not be, while saying he is concerned about event safety. This is Liberal Logic.

This is NOT about law enforcement officers.

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 12:58 PM
It was a letter addressed to the heads of the universities. Keenum has already issued a public statement against the law. This is a bad law and the hue and cry is needed to hopefully get it voted down.

I'm with PI on this, the NCAA and SEC needs to stick with sports, hell they don't even do a good job policing their own member institutions.

Cooterpoot
02-08-2018, 12:59 PM
He did the same thing to Arkansas and they simply amended the bill to exclude event facilities.

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 01:00 PM
He did the same thing to Arkansas and they simply amended the bill to exclude event facilities.

Which would be the logical thing to do.

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2018, 01:01 PM

We went thru this in GA a couple of years ago. The reason the SEC and other organization have to get involved like this are the thickheadedness of the legislators. They go to these ALEC conferences and are given legislation to pass, told its good for the cause and will guarantee their reelection, and refuse to listen to their constituents views. It takes threats from the SEC, big businesses that don?t want guns in the workplace (like Coke and Home Depot here in GA), to get them to back down.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Hahahahahaha. The fact that you think drunk fans will just be bringing in guns willy nilly explains all I need to know about your knowledge or lack there of on the laws and statistics. Pretty sure being drunk with a firearm is already against the law no matter the permit you carry. So they were committing a crime to begin with which current laws aren?t preventing. If laws prevent crime we wouldn?t have crime. Logic.

Dude, I know what enhanced carry is. I am probabaly about to get mine. Do you think that people who have that certification don?t get drunk at football games?

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 01:24 PM

Which is exactly what we should do. I have no problem with the bill otherwise.

Cooterpoot
02-08-2018, 01:25 PM
I think we should reply back to Sankey and tell him we'll remove it from the bill if they'll give us beer at games.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 01:25 PM
I'm with PI on this, the NCAA and SEC needs to stick with sports, hell they don't even do a good job policing their own member institutions.

If somebody gets shot by a drunken fan at an SEC game who do you think would be libel?

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 01:26 PM
I think we should reply back to Sankey and tell him we'll remove it from the bill if they'll give us beer at games.

It would not matter if he did, state law prohibits it.

Cooterpoot
02-08-2018, 01:27 PM
It would matter if he did, state law prohibits it.

Freaking Baptists!

Lord McBuckethead
02-08-2018, 01:27 PM
I kind of find it interesting that 2nd Amendment advocates, the NRA, and the republicans allow any restriction to me carrying a weapon hidden or otherwise, anywhere inside the country's boarders. Its like I have to have this certain permit to do such things the constitution already arguably allows me to do.
Sounds like their should be either an amendment to the constitution or.....this shouldn't be a law. People do know that is how we actually change the rules right. By amending the US Constitution.

Lord McBuckethead
02-08-2018, 01:29 PM
Oh yeah, I will carry my gun wherever I want, concealed or not. Wherever I want I tell you.

Just kidding. I do not believe people should have guns in the stands at any sporting event. They also should have metal detectors at the entrances as well. Especially at Ole Miss.

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 01:32 PM
If somebody gets shot by a drunken fan at an SEC game who do you think would be libel?

The last thing I'm gonna say on this. While I don't support letting people bring weapons to games, I also don't support the SEC or the NCAA, who have proven time and time again that they are corrupt, deciding what happens in government. They have no problem with the buying and selling of players, players being offered prostitutes, drugs and any number of enticements, and the SEC and NCAA blindly turns the other way and pretends that nothing happened. That's the problem I have with the SEC and NCAA getting involved.

Saltydog
02-08-2018, 01:36 PM
at the games in Oxford.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 02:22 PM
This law does not suddenly allow concealed carry in stadiums with enhanced carry. That had been legal for years and is backed by an opinion from AG Jim Hood. What this law is doing is allowing you to sue if your legal rights are violated. Don?t like the fact an enhanced carry holder can legally carry in DWS, lobby to change that law. This one is just giving people who have their rights violated a method of fighting back.

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Oh yeah, I will carry my gun wherever I want, concealed or not. Wherever I want I tell you.

Just kidding. I do not believe people should have guns in the stands at any sporting event. They also should have metal detectors at the entrances as well. Especially at Ole Miss.

I've thought that it was interesting Scalia - potentially the most conservative Justice ever to serve on the Supreme Court - believed in the the ability of the government to regulate firearms, writing in Heller “Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms", “like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.” It is “not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

Tbonewannabe
02-08-2018, 02:52 PM
I've thought that it was interesting Scalia - potentially the most conservative Justice ever to serve on the Supreme Court - believed in the the ability of the government to regulate firearms, writing in Heller “Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms", “like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.” It is “not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

There would be a lot more people rocking gatling guns if this was the case. Who doesn't want to walk around with the gun from Predator? The Constitution was written at a time that a gun gave you the ability to get food as much as anything else. The fore fathers didn't have an idea automatic weapons were a thing. It would be like if the government eliminated any gun that could shoot more than once an hour and someone had a death ray that could level a city. People would still say the death ray was legal and fight for it.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 04:37 PM
There would be a lot more people rocking gatling guns if this was the case. Who doesn't want to walk around with the gun from Predator? The Constitution was written at a time that a gun gave you the ability to get food as much as anything else. The fore fathers didn't have an idea automatic weapons were a thing. It would be like if the government eliminated any gun that could shoot more than once an hour and someone had a death ray that could level a city. People would still say the death ray was legal and fight for it.

The second amendment was not written about hunting. It was about the citizens being to defend themselves against an over reaching govt.

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2018, 05:13 PM
The second amendment was not written about hunting. It was about the citizens being to defend themselves against an over reaching govt.

Wrong. Based on norms of the time, all able bodied men were expected to serve in government or state sponsored militias when the need arose. This would augment the inability of Congress to raise a regular army. Congress could only implement and fund a raised Army for a 2 year period. By allowing the ownership of common weapons of the day - muskets - it guaranteed that the government would have a defense force always available without having to arm them, and without having to infringe upon that 2 year limit. Now, it so happened that the Colonist used the Militias create by the British to protect the colonies to create an army and rise up against a tyrannical government. However, there is a large distinction between a tyrannical government and government overreach

BuckyIsAB****
02-08-2018, 06:35 PM

If link doesn't work:

Andy Gipson
17 hrs ?

I was about to say, they've been in games and stadiums since that last bill passed. Sankey needs to worry about getting teams into the NCAA tourney or something not guns at MS college football games

RocketDawg
02-08-2018, 06:58 PM

I usually agree with you 7, but are you saying that people in the "Deep South" (I hate that term) are dumber than those from New York? People in the US are pretty much the same, regardless from what state they're from.

To clarify ... I'm not anti-gun. But I'm also not for every Tom, Dick, and Harry being able to carry a loaded handgun around with them like it was still the old Wild West.

From what I've heard, at just about every game there is some sort of fight going on. Can you imagine what things would be like if those drunks had quick access to a gun? Making it legal to carry a loaded gun into Davis Wade or any other sports venue might well be the deciding factor as to whether I buy season tickets, or just stay in the safety of my living room.

I've heard people talking about how the military qualifies them to be gun toters. That's not true. I did 21 years in the Navy and shot a rifle once in basic training and once because I voluntarily wanted to go to the range and qualify for a ribbon.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 07:01 PM
When did they start selling alcohol at games? Oh that's right, they don't.

Who's to say that guns aren't already in the stadium?

Pathetic that drunk fans are an argument against it and yet selling beer at stadiums is not even considered.

Are you claiming there is no drinking at tailgates?

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Bottom line is, no matter how you feel on this, if this law passes as is we may be kicked out of the SEC. At the least we won't be playing in SEC home games. Just amend the law to exempt SEC stadiums.

Again I'm as pro gun as it comes but I've seen too much stuff at ball games over the years. A lot of it was from otherwise reasonable and responsible people. We don't need guns at sporting events except in the hands of law enforcement officers.

Duckdog
02-08-2018, 07:19 PM

if you're drunk and concealed carrying then you are breaking the law. also learn the 2nd amendment please

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Bottom line is, no matter how you feel on this, if this law passes as is we may be kicked out of the SEC. At the least we won't be playing in SEC home games. Just amend the law to exempt SEC stadiums.

Again I'm as pro gun as it comes but I've seen too much stuff at ball games over the years. A lot of it was from otherwise reasonable and responsible people. We don't need guns at sporting events except in the hands of law enforcement officers.

That?s the misconception. This law is not legalizing carry in stadiums. It?s been legal since 2011.

Duckdog
02-08-2018, 07:23 PM
This is NOT about law enforcement officers.

You Sir, still don't get it

Duckdog
02-08-2018, 07:25 PM
I kind of find it interesting that 2nd Amendment advocates, the NRA, and the republicans allow any restriction to me carrying a weapon hidden or otherwise, anywhere inside the country's boarders. Its like I have to have this certain permit to do such things the constitution already arguably allows me to do.
Sounds like their should be either an amendment to the constitution or.....this shouldn't be a law. People do know that is how we actually change the rules right. By amending the US Constitution.

AMEN this boy gets it

RougeDawg
02-08-2018, 07:28 PM
I usually agree with you 7, but are you saying that people in the "Deep South" (I hate that term) are dumber than those from New York? People in the US are pretty much the same, regardless from what state they're from.

To clarify ... I'm not anti-gun. But I'm also not for every Tom, Dick, and Harry being able to carry a loaded handgun around with them like it was still the old Wild West.

From what I've heard, at just about every game there is some sort of fight going on. Can you imagine what things would be like if those drunks had quick access to a gun? Making it legal to carry a loaded gun into Davis Wade or any other sports venue might well be the deciding factor as to whether I buy season tickets, or just stay in the safety of my living room.

I've heard people talking about how the military qualifies them to be gun toters. That's not true. I did 21 years in the Navy and shot a rifle once in basic training and once because I voluntarily wanted to go to the range and qualify for a ribbon.

Tell me this post is sarcastic? You don?t really believe what you wrote do you? There are already laws preventing that which you are soooooo scared of. This law does not pertain to it. Stop reading and interpreting the way the media wants you to and start looking at things logically.

This law states that off duty law enforcement and their civilian equivalents can do that which the law already permits them to do in public spaces. Ask any off duty law enforcement if they go out on the town packing? Anyone who thinks this to be commonplace is highly ignorant of the mindset of CCL and ECL permit holders.

This law doesn?t state that any Tom, Dick, or Harry can Willy nilly bring a gun into an event. Laws already prevent concealed carry anywhere outside of your property or vehicle, if you don?t have a permit. If someone does this they are already breaking the law. This law protects those of us who have actually taken the training and understand the responsibility of the privilege we were granted to conceal carry. Every CCL and ECL holder I know, takes this seriously and doesn?t carry if they will be drinking anything at all. Plus you cannot legally carry into an establishment that makes more than 50% of revenue on alcohol sales if you are drinking or not.

Every time these arguments arise the media gets the same public outrage because they play to the ignorance of the public regarding gun laws. The responses in this thread are exactly the reason they present the topic in the manner they do. They target the public ignorance and know most people will follow along and believe this false narrative.

Theads like this tempt me to just drain my 401k and let a rip, because the nation is doomed due to widespread ignorance on most important issues but these same people can tell you within 14 seconds how many months pregnant the Kardashians are. I wish people would research topics upon which they are ignorant instead of spouting off and regurgitating the main stream Media?s talking points. We?d all be a whole hell of a lot better off for it.

RougeDawg
02-08-2018, 07:35 PM
I've thought that it was interesting Scalia - potentially the most conservative Justice ever to serve on the Supreme Court - believed in the the ability of the government to regulate firearms, writing in Heller ?Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms", ?like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.? It is ?not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.?

Your interpretation of Scalia?s opinion means you believe that law enforcement cannot carry in these areas as well? Correct?

This state law is simply saying that off duty enforcement and their citizen equivalents can carry in these places. You can?t have it both ways, and I?m still waiting f for someone to tell me the difference in a police office who gets off st 5 pm, from 4:59 pm to 5:01 pm? What changes so much about that person that they are now denied the ability to carry their firearm into an area 2 minutes before they could? This is the the law in its simplest form.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Tell me this post is sarcastic? You don?t really believe what you wrote do you? There are already laws preventing that which you are soooooo scared of. This law does not pertain to it. Stop reading and interpreting the way the media wants you to and start looking at things logically.

This law states that off duty law enforcement and their civilian equivalents can do that which the law already permits them to do in public spaces. Ask any off duty law enforcement if they go out on the town packing? Anyone who thinks this to be commonplace is highly ignorant of the mindset of CCL and ECL permit holders.

This law doesn?t state that any Tom, Dick, or Harry can Willy nilly bring a gun into an event. Laws already prevent concealed carry anywhere outside of your property or vehicle, if you don?t have a permit. If someone does this they are already breaking the law. This law protects those of us who have actually taken the training and understand the responsibility of the privilege we were granted to conceal carry. Every CCL and ECL holder I know, takes this seriously and doesn?t carry if they will be drinking anything at all. Plus you cannot legally carry into an establishment that makes more than 50% of revenue on alcohol sales if you are drinking or not.

Every time these arguments arise the media gets the same public outrage because they play to the ignorance of the public regarding gun laws. The responses in this thread are exactly the reason they present the topic in the manner they do. They target the public ignorance and know most people will follow along and believe this false narrative.

Theads like this tempt me to just drain my 401k and let a rip, because the nation is doomed due to widespread ignorance on most important issues but these same people can tell you within 14 seconds how many months pregnant the Kardashians are. I wish people would research topics upon which they are ignorant instead of spouting off and regurgitating the main stream Media?s talking points. We?d all be a whole hell of a lot better off for it.

Did you go to the Steven A. Smith school for bloviation? You should really consider learning how to condense your thoughts into a few sentences. This is the second "book" you've written in this thread alone...

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 07:38 PM
if you're drunk and concealed carrying then you are breaking the law. also learn the 2nd amendment please

I know it inside out and am a BIG supporter of gun rights. I am aware it is against the law to carry drunk. I'm also aware that it happens. This is just asinine and against all common sense. However if you want us to play every SEC game on the road then by all means back this bill.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 07:41 PM
You Sir, still don't get it

And YOU seem to think it's a good idea for people to be able to carry into a high emotion and high alcohol event like a ball game.

RougeDawg
02-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Wrong. Based on norms of the time, all able bodied men were expected to serve in government or state sponsored militias when the need arose. This would augment the inability of Congress to raise a regular army. Congress could only implement and fund a raised Army for a 2 year period. By allowing the ownership of common weapons of the day - muskets - it guaranteed that the government would have a defense force always available without having to arm them, and without having to infringe upon that 2 year limit. Now, it so happened that the Colonist used the Militias create by the British to protect the colonies to create an army and rise up against a tyrannical government. However, there is a large distinction between a tyrannical government and government overreach

Dude. Just stop and please fix your bing or google. Jefferson and others wrote in depth about this very argument aside from constitution. They didn?t even develop the idea. The idea came from the John Locke?s, Adam Smith?s and other great philosophers before them, who believed we all had unalienable rights granted to us by being born in The image of God that no government could take away. That was the founding of our consorititiin and one of those God given human rights is the ability for one to defend themselves.

Pollodawg
02-08-2018, 07:46 PM
You have no need for a weapon in a sporting event or courthouse. Sorry.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 07:47 PM

'Merica, bra. 'Merica! #itstheprinciple

Pollodawg
02-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Yeah, let’s go ahead and mix alcohol, emotions, and firearms. That’s as Mississippi as possible. Smh.

Pollodawg
02-08-2018, 07:49 PM
'Merica, bra. 'Merica! #itstheprinciple

The constitution doesn’t remotely guarantee you the right to carry a gun everywhere you so desire regardless of anything at all to the contrary.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 07:50 PM

How about an optometrist office in Walmart?

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 07:50 PM
The constitution doesn’t remotely guarantee you the right to carry a gun everywhere you so desire regardless of anything at all to the contrary.

I didn't add these "***" because I thought my sarcasm was obvious, Pollo, lol.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 07:51 PM

He agrees with you, and so do I.

Pollodawg
02-08-2018, 07:52 PM
My bad, guys. Been a long day. Carry on, gents.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 07:53 PM
How about an optometrist office in Walmart?

That's not remotely the same thing. I operate a similar business and I keep a weapon on hand.

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Hey guys the Lady Dawgs are winning.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 07:57 PM
That's not remotely the same thing. I operate a similar business and I keep a weapon on hand.

It is the same thing. A psycho walked in there and could just as easily walk into DWS. People have mentioned alcohol. It?s illegal to carry and drink. If anyone is carrying while drinking put them under the jail.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 08:01 PM
It is the same thing. A psycho walked in there and could just as easily walk into DWS. People have mentioned alcohol. It?s illegal to carry and drink. If anyone is carrying while drinking put them under the jail.

I understand the idea of soft targets, but are more guns (other than trained security) really the answer? What if a concealed carrier misses their target and hits innocents themselves? Especially in such a packed and frenzied environment (like DWS), I can't remotely think this would be a good idea...

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Hey guys the Lady Dawgs are winning.

and blowing it out...

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 08:05 PM
and blowing it out...

As always lol! I?m coming to expect it every time from them.

RocketDawg
02-08-2018, 08:09 PM
and blowing it out...

Nah. Only winning by 26 at the moment.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 08:09 PM

There are not a lot of people drinking before and during their optometrist appointment. There are also not thousands of fans of rival optometrists crammed in close quarters in that office who are rabidly supporting their favorite Doc. It's not remotely the same situation. What happens when a drunk goes after a carrier with a cowbell? What happens if a drunk starts winning a fight with a carrier in a big way? I've just seen too much crap at games from otherwise responsible people. However you feel about this is beside the point though. I didn't start this thread to start a debate about gun rights. I started it to point out that if this bill passes as is then at the least we will play every SEC game on the road. I suspect most other teams and leagues would do the same to us. We very easily could get kicked out of the SEC and find that no one would take us or play us. THAT is the choice here. If you are cool with that then by all means support this bill.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 08:12 PM
I understand the idea of soft targets, but are more guns (other than trained security) really the answer? What if a concealed carrier misses their target and hits innocents themselves? Especially in such a packed and frenzied environment (like DWS), I can't remotely think this would be a good idea...

It?s a very real risk I admit. And an enhanced carry license offers no legal or civil protection if you shoot an innocent person. We had that drilled into us in our class. Drawing a weapon is an act of absolute last resort because there?s no unpulling the trigger. But if put in that situation, I?d rather have the ability to try and protect my wife and children or someone else?s wife and kids instead of standing there helpless watching them die.

RocketDawg
02-08-2018, 08:12 PM

I assume the subject was the guy who killed his wife in the Wal Mart a few weeks ago. If they'd had access to a gun, would they have recognized the situation and reacted in time? I have no idea ... seemed to me like it was a pretty sudden thing. But yes, I agree ... I don't blame you for keeping protection on hand. The probability of getting held up in a Wal Mart is much higher than getting mugged in Davis Wade. Or I would think.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 08:13 PM
There are not a lot of people drinking before and during their optometrist appointment. There are also not thousands of fans of rival optometrists crammed in close quarters in that office who are rabidly supporting their favorite Doc. It's not remotely the same situation. What happens when a drunk goes after a carrier with a cowbell? What happens if a drunk starts winning a fight with a carrier in a big way? I've just seen too much crap at games from otherwise responsible people. However you feel about this is beside the point though. I didn't start this thread to start a debate about gun rights. I started it to point out that if this bill passes as is then at the least we will play every SEC game on the road. I suspect most other teams and leagues would do the same to us. We very easily could get kicked out of the SEC and find that no one would take us or play us. THAT is the choice here. If you are cool with that then by all means support this bill.

And a point of order: Sankey wasnt talking about post season stuff like the NCAA, he was talking about regular season games. I kind of like having home games.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 08:14 PM

Again, this bill changes no law. What you are opposed of has been legal for 7 years and nobody has been kicked out of the SEC. It is right now perfectly legal to bring a gun into DWS if you have an enhanced permit.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 08:16 PM
It?s a very real risk I admit. And an enhanced carry license offers no legal or civil protection if you shoot an innocent person. We had that drilled into us in our class. Drawing a weapon is an act of absolute last resort because there?s no unpulling the trigger. But if put in that situation, I?d rather have the ability to try and protect my wife and children or someone else?s wife and kids instead of standing there helpless watching them die.

So if you are that scared why do you even want to go to a game? A piece of advice, don't go to Europe.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Again, this bill changes no law. What you are opposed of has been legal for 7 years and nobody has been kicked out of the SEC. It is right now perfectly legal to bring a gun into DWS if you have an enhanced permit.

And it's also perfectly legal for MSU to set it's own rules and deny you entry. That's what this bill will change.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 08:20 PM
And it's also perfectly legal for MSU to set it's own rules and deny you entry. That's what this bill will change.

You can?t set rules contrary to law. Can they decide to serve alcohol and make the drinking age 16?

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 08:21 PM
So if you are that scared why do you even want to go to a game? A piece of advice, don't go to Europe.

I didn?t say I?m scared and I?ve never carried in a game. I?m just saying it?s been legal since 2011.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 08:22 PM
One more time and to the point: If you do not care whether MSU can play at home, or even play, then by all means support this bill. If you do care, then ask your legislator to amend the bill to allow stadiums and arenas, at least at the universities and colleges, to not allow guns. The SEC is serious, ask Arkansas. They provided for this exception in their law similar to this after the SEC sent them this same ultimatum. That's why I started this thread, to point out the choice we face.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 08:23 PM
You can?t set rules contrary to law. Can they decide to serve alcohol and make the drinking age 16?

That's just it, setting that rule is not against the law.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Nah. Only winning by 26 at the moment.

Now it's 42....yikes

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 08:25 PM
I didn?t say I?m scared and I?ve never carried in a game. I?m just saying it?s been legal since 2011.

It's legal, but it is also against the rules and terms of your ticket you agreed to when you bought it. That IS also legal. You don't have aright to attend a game. You won't get arrested, but you will and should be denied entry.

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Your interpretation of Scalia?s opinion means you believe that law enforcement cannot carry in these areas as well? Correct?

This state law is simply saying that off duty enforcement and their citizen equivalents can carry in these places. You can?t have it both ways, and I?m still waiting f for someone to tell me the difference in a police office who gets off st 5 pm, from 4:59 pm to 5:01 pm? What changes so much about that person that they are now denied the ability to carry their firearm into an area 2 minutes before they could? This is the the law in its simplest form.

Dude. Just stop and please fix your bing or google. Jefferson and others wrote in depth about this very argument aside from constitution. They didn?t even develop the idea. The idea came from the John Locke?s, Adam Smith?s and other great philosophers before them, who believed we all had unalienable rights granted to us by being born in The image of God that no government could take away. That was the founding of our consorititiin and one of those God given human rights is the ability for one to defend themselves.

First - I was not implying that law enforcement couldn?t carry off duty. You are inserting your opinion into a factual statement - Scalia believed in limitations to the 2nd amendment that applied to types of guns that should be available to general citizens and the ability to exclude some classes from ownership (such as felons and the mentally ill). I didn?t draw any conclusions - I only pointed out how jntersting it is that the foremost conservative strict constitutionalist had that view.

Second, I?m well aware of Locke, Smith, and the basis of the thought behind different elements of the constitution - I?ve got 2 degrees in history with my masters in Colonial American history. Forgive me for not writing a dissertation on my message board post. My username isn?t Todd4State, so I try not to do that. Yes, self protection was part of the basis for the 2nd amendment - however read the amendment. It literally ties the need for self protection to the need of the government to raise a militia. Self defense and the common defense of the nation. My point is just as valid.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 08:33 PM
That's just it, setting that rule is not against the law.

Yes it is. The AG has said MS law allows for carry in stadiums. It has been the law since 2011.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 08:33 PM
First - I was not implying that law enforcement couldn?t carry off duty. You are inserting your opinion into a factual statement - Scalia believed in limitations to the 2nd amendment that applied to types of guns that should be available to general citizens and the ability to exclude some classes from ownership (such as felons and the mentally ill). I didn?t draw any conclusions - I only pointed out how jntersting it is that the foremost conservative strict constitutionalist had that view.

Second, I?m well aware of Locke, Smith, and the basis of the thought behind different elements of the constitution - I?ve got 2 degrees in history with my masters in Colonial American history. Forgive me for not writing a dissertation on my message board post. My username isn?t Todd4State, so I try not to do that. Yes, self protection was part of the basis for the 2nd amendment - however read the amendment. It literally ties the need for self protection to the need of the government to raise a militia. Self defense and the common defense of the nation. My point is just as valid.

I'm as conservative as Scalia, and I agree with his opinions on this.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 08:34 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrunswickDawg again.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 08:39 PM
Yes it is. The AG has said MS law allows for carry in stadiums. It has been the law since 2011.

It is, but it's also legal for a stadium to set its own rules against it. They won't arrest you and can't, but they can eject you from the stadium. It's not illegal to be a total jerk at a game either, but it it can get you thrown out. I almost got thrown out up at Oxford for throwing a cup when I was a student . That sure as heck ain't illegal, but it will get you thrown out. I may have missed my calling, I talked my way out of it like a public defender!) I even had a enhanced carry instructor tell me that individual venues can set their own rules, fairly recently. He knew what he was talking about. If t wasn't ok to deny entry then this bill would never have come up since that is EXACTLY what it is trying to change.

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 08:40 PM
Similar stance was taken by Sankey towards Arkansas last year I believe. Arkansas just made it so you can't bring the guns into the stadiums. Issue was solved. Sankey isn't threatening kicking MSU/OM out he is warning us that other conferences won't travel here because of this rule. We should listen to him and follow Arkansas' lead on this same exact issue they already dealt with.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 08:41 PM
One more time and to the point: If you do not care whether MSU can play at home, or even play, then by all means support this bill. If you do care, then ask your legislator to amend the bill to allow stadiums and arenas, at least at the universities and colleges, to not allow guns. The SEC is serious, ask Arkansas. They provided for this exception in their law similar to this after the SEC sent them this same ultimatum. That's why I started this thread, to point out the choice we face.

Still no takes in this I see. You can argue second amendment all you want, but the SEC can still kick us out or refuse to play in Mississippi if they want to. Mississippi law can't change that at all.

Commercecomet24
Now it's 42....yikes

48 point win, but dang we didn?t hit 100! Running suicides after the game for not breaking100 lol

RocketDawg

No, but they might as well since they look the other way. And openly allow "premium" seat to stock their lockers the day before a game.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 08:44 PM
Similar stance was taken by Sankey towards Arkansas last year I believe. Arkansas just made it so you can't bring the guns into the stadiums. Issue was solved. Sankey isn't threatening kicking MSU/OM out he is warning us that other conferences won't travel here because of this rule. We should listen to him and follow Arkansas' lead on this same exact issue they already dealt with.

I agree that's all we need to do, but read the letter 61. He wasn't talking about other conferences, he was talking about SEC members refusing to play here. That is explicit in the letter. It also sounded like a veiled threat to our memebership, to me anyway.

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2018, 08:44 PM
I'm as conservative as Scalia, and I agree with his opinions on this.

And I?m a gun owner who enjoys shooting, and has taught his children to shoot,who is somewhere to the left of Bernie Sanders, and I do as well. You want a concealed carry permit, there should be licensing, training, and qualifications. You want enhanced cc, then that level of training needs to be at a very high level - boarderline professional. You want to collect and shoot military grade weapons - then you need all of that, secure storage, and insurance. I?d bet most of you have similar opinions. Letting ALEC and the NRA push us into guns, guns everywhere is just as bad as many liberals push to take them away.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 08:52 PM
It is, but it's also legal for a stadium to set its own rules against it. They won't arrest you and can't, but they can eject you from the stadium. It's not illegal to be a total jerk at a game either, but it it can get you thrown out. I almost got thrown out up at Oxford for throwing a cup when I was a student . That sure as heck ain't illegal, but it will get you thrown out. I may have missed my calling, I talked my way out of it like a public defender!) I even had a enhanced carry instructor tell me that individual venues can set their own rules, fairly recently. He knew what he was talking about. If t wasn't ok to deny entry then this bill would never have come up since that is EXACTLY what it is trying to change.

No business or entity can set policy contrary to existing law. Back to my example, if a business or stadium could do that then Keenum could decide to set policy at DWS that they will sell alcohol and to maximize profits they?ll set the drinking age at the game at 16.

To your example, throwing a cup could be considered assault or disturbing the peace.

All this bill is doing is allowing enhanced carriers a legal recourse if they were denied to do what they are legally guaranteed to do. They stated multiple times this bill does not change the law.

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 08:57 PM
I agree that's all we need to do, but read the letter 61. He wasn't talking about other conferences, he was talking about SEC members refusing to play here. That is explicit in the letter. It also sounded like a veiled threat to our memebership, to me anyway.

You're getting yourself riled up over something that will be worked out long before it would ever get close to MSU getting kicked out of the SEC. Here read this thread it'll calm your tits.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/sankey-indicates-sec-wont-play-in-mississippi-if-gun-laws-pass/75314754/

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 08:58 PM
I think this is an extremely dumb idea for many reasons but I don't carry so I don't study the numbers. Out of curiosity what is a guess at the number of enhanced carry license holders that would be in Davis Wade during an SEC game?

I have been since it became law.

This isn't NEW... everyone needs to understand that

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:00 PM
And I?m a gun owner who enjoys shooting, and has taught his children to shoot,who is somewhere to the left of Bernie Sanders, and I do as well. You want a concealed carry permit, there should be licensing, training, and qualifications. You want enhanced cc, then that level of training needs to be at a very high level - boarderline professional. You want to collect and shoot military grade weapons - then you need all of that, secure storage, and insurance. I?d bet most of you have similar opinions. Letting ALEC and the NRA push us into guns, guns everywhere is just as bad as many liberals push to take them away.

Very sensible.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:00 PM
You're getting yourself riled up over something that will be worked out long before it would ever get close to MSU getting kicked out of the SEC. Here read this thread it'll calm your tits.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/sankey-indicates-sec-wont-play-in-mississippi-if-gun-laws-pass/75314754/

I agree it will, but it won't if we don't voice opposition to it as is. I think you would agree with that.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:03 PM
I have been since it became law.

This isn't NEW... everyone needs to understand that

Then you are in violation of the terms of the contract that your ticket is. MSU could sue YOU.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 09:03 PM

Soory, you are wrong

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:05 PM
Soory, you are wrong

So what is your need, esp at a guarded courthouse with metal detectors? If I was a judge I would resign if this passes. I suspect many will.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Then you are in violation of the terms of the contract that your ticket is. MSU could sue YOU.

No they can't, if they frisked me and found the weapon, all they can do is ask me to leave.

Dolphus Raymond
02-08-2018, 09:10 PM
The fact that our "leaders" are even considering such moronic legislation says all that really needs to be said about why Mississippi continues to be mired in economic and social backwardness. Mississippi allows itself to be victimized by poor leadership, while we continue to allow, and even encourage it. There is really nothing else that needs to be said. Pathetic.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:11 PM
No they can't, if they frisked me and found the weapon, all they can do is ask me to leave.

If you got in the stadium you would be in breach of contract. They would ask you to leave, and force you to if you refused. And if you had to be forced then they COULD prosecute you.

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2018, 09:15 PM
The fact that our "leaders" are even considering such moronic legislation says all that really needs to be said about why Mississippi continues to be mired in economic and social backwardness. Mississippi allows itself to be victimized by poor leadership, while we continue to allow, and even encourage it. There is really nothing else that needs to be said. Pathetic.

I guarantee they won?t let you bring your gun into the Capitol Building, because they should be secure...

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:17 PM
No business or entity can set policy contrary to existing law. Back to my example, if a business or stadium could do that then Keenum could decide to set policy at DWS that they will sell alcohol and to maximize profits they?ll set the drinking age at the game at 16.

To your example, throwing a cup could be considered assault or disturbing the peace.

All this bill is doing is allowing enhanced carriers a legal recourse if they were denied to do what they are legally guaranteed to do. They stated multiple times this bill does not change the law.

It DOES change the law. It effectively removes the rihpght of businesses and others to set their own rules for attendance. The courts have repeatedly said that governments and private entities DO have the right to regulate firearms in a reasonable manner. If this passes it will be challenged in federal court by MSU and Ole Miss and numerous private entities. They WILL win. It's stupid and foolish, and ultimately futile.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 09:19 PM
If you got in the stadium you would be in breach of contract. They would ask you to leave, and force you to if you refused. And if you had to be forced then they COULD prosecute you.

I wouldn't refuse.

But I'd still not be in violation of state law, unlike everyone who smuggles in whiskey, or has it delivered to the club level and skyboxes

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 09:20 PM
I guarantee they won?t let you bring your gun into the Capitol Building, because they should be secure...

Wrong, I have. Just can't carry it into the floor while in session

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Wrong, I have. Just can't carry it into the floor while in session

That?s surprising. Georgia Legislature made them legal on campus, but banned them from the Capitol in the same bill. They don?t believe in irony.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 09:26 PM
That?s surprising. Georgia Legislature made them legal on campus, but banned them from the Capitol in the same bill. They don?t believe in irony.

Read the law, it's been there for years, everybody is wigging out because most just now realize it's been law.

All this is gonna do now is slow down the lines to get in the stadium because they will now probaly start frisking everybody.

and there is a major difference in a concealed carry permit and the Enhanced permit. Only pertains to EC's

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:27 PM

Actually there was a Democratic Senator brandishing an unloaded one on the Senate floor this morning.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't refuse.

But I'd still not be in violation of state law, unlike everyone who smuggles in whiskey, or has it delivered to the club level and skyboxes

But you would be in violation of your contract, and one everybody is serious about, unlike the alcholol rules.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 09:31 PM
But you would be in violation of your contract, and one everybody is serious about, unlike the alcholol rules.

But they CAN'T sue or arrest me, which is what you said they could do.

And I trust EC permit holders more than I do drunks leaving the stadium and driving home as far as my or your safety.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Read the law, it's been there for years, everybody is wigging out because most just now realize it's been law.

All this is gonna do now is slow down the lines to get in the stadium because they will now probaly start frisking everybody.

and there is a major difference in a concealed carry permit and the Enhanced permit. Only pertains to EC's

Once again, the law DOES allow you to be denied entry by rule. What this law is doing is removing that common sense provision. If that weren't the case their would be no "need" to change the law. This is in my mind the absolute most imbecilic thing the Mississippi legislature has ever tried to do since they fought to keep Jim Crow and intergration.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:34 PM
But they CAN'T sue or arrest me, which is what you said they could do.

And I trust EC permit holders more than I do drunks leaving the stadium and driving home as far as my or your safety.

I don't trust all EC permit holders. Some of them WILL be those same drunks, and you know it.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Once again, the law HAS allowed you to be denied entry by rule. What this law is doing is removing that common sense provision. If that weren't the case their would be no "need" to change the law. This is in my mind the absolute most imbecilic thing the Mississippi legislature has ever tried to do since they fought to keep Jim Crow and intergration.

AGAIN, a rule can't supersede law. Lobby to change the law, if you don't like it

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:43 PM
AGAIN, a rule can't supersede law. Lobby to change the law, if you don't like it

Right, and the law allows this rule to be set by individual entities. That is according to the best enhanced carry instructor I know of, AND the local Trooper supervisor that oversees it. That is what this law changes, and that is why th SEC is going to stop playing in MS if it passes. If that's what you want then by all means back this bill as is Is that what you want?

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2018, 09:44 PM
Actually there was a Democratic Senator brandishing an unloaded one on the Senate floor this morning.
Why did y?all elect Yosemite Sam to the State Senate?

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Again Spider, how you feel about the law/rule is irrelevant. Why I posted this here and why it is absolutely sports related is the implications for MSU relative to the SEC. If our rules/laws don't conform to their rules, then .........well.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 09:47 PM
Why did y?all elect Yosemite Sam to the State Senate?

No idea, not my district or party. LOL. That being said I am at odds with my party on this till they allow exceptions for sporting events and courthouses, and yes, the Capitol. Emotions run high in all of them, and alcohol does in the first one, and probably the last one. ;)

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Right, and the law allows this rule to be set by individual entities. That is according to the best enhanced carry instructor I know of, AND the local Trooper supervisor that oversees it. That is what this law changes, and that is why th SEC is going to stop playing in MS if it passes. If that's what you want then by all means back this bill as is Is that what you want?

Think about it rationally... what would happen it the SEC does that? You don't think 100 lawsuits would be filed in MISSISSIPPI to block that? If would be a court fight lasting years and years.

Coach007
02-08-2018, 09:58 PM

This is not a fight he wants to under take. He will kill the brand

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 09:58 PM

Then have someone take it to the MS Supreme court and let them settle it. Until then, it's the law and it supersedes any rule.

Lord McBuckethead
02-08-2018, 09:59 PM
It's not liberal logic in the slightest. ECL holders only have to go to a range and prove they can safely handle a firearm. Their is no enhanced training equal or anywhere comparable to law enforcement officers. My coworker has his and we discussed this at length today.
The real issue is this, should any ECL holder or even a CC license holder be allowed to carry a gun in publically owned venues such as courtrooms and/or sporting venues? What gives the state, local, or federal govt the right to say no, even with a law. That law could be seen as limiting our right to bear arms which the 2nd amendment to the Constitution says that no law will limit my right to bear those arms, which would include a courtroom.

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Again Spider, how you feel about the law/rule is irrelevant. Why I posted this here and why it is absolutely sports related is the implications for MSU relative to the SEC. If our rules/laws don't conform to their rules, then .........well.

MSU will do whatever it needs to not get kicked out of the SEC. Allowing guns in stadiums isn't more important to MSU than staying in the SEC. You're getting worked up over nothing.

RocketDawg
02-08-2018, 10:01 PM
No idea, not my district or party. LOL. That being said I am at odds with my party on this till they allow exceptions for sporting events and courthouses, and yes, the Capitol. Emotions run high in all of them, and alcohol does in the first one, and probably the last one. ;)

Brings to mind the fracases we've seen recently of the congressmen in some countries where they literally had a knockdown, dragout fisticuff and 'rassling' match. I wonder how it would have been if those guys had been totin' .45's? Many of our representative don't have much more sense than these guys.

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 10:04 PM
The real issue is this, should any ECL holder or even a CC license holder be allowed to carry a gun in publically owned venues such as courtrooms and/or sporting venues? What gives the state, local, or federal govt the right to say no, even with a law. That law could be seen as limiting our right to bear arms which the 2nd amendment to the Constitution says that no law will limit my right to bear those arms, which would include a courtroom.

What about airports or planes? The 2nd amendment wasn't meant for bringing a gun into a football stadium.

Coach007
02-08-2018, 10:11 PM
MSU will do whatever it needs to not get kicked out of the SEC. Allowing guns in stadiums isn't more important to MSU than staying in the SEC. You're getting worked up over nothing.

It won't be about MSU.... It will be about Mississippians. IF you think that Mississippi elected officials will consider that over being re-elected you are fooling yourself.

Now... my Personal opinion is I see no need in carrying one to a game. But I can not speak for others......

Coach007
02-08-2018, 10:12 PM
What about airports or planes? The 2nd amendment wasn't meant for bringing a gun into a football stadium.

Please show me where it states it's limited in any place....

Dawgology
02-08-2018, 10:14 PM
If this passes or is upheld me and my family won’t be attending sporting events in MS again. I’m all for the freedom to carry a firearm but a large, full stadium or arena is THE epitome of a soft target and is already impossible to secure without having several hundred extra guns thrown into the mix (with alcohol and emotions thrown in). There is nothing a regular citizen with an enhanced carry can do with a gun in a full stadium that won’t end with him/her hurting innocent bystanders. I don’t many (if any) have regular training for that situation.

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Please show me where it states it's limited in any place....

Try taking a gun on a plane. See what happens.

WinningIsRelentless
02-08-2018, 10:19 PM
1) ECL folks aren't trained anywhere near the level of LEO. Period end of discussion.

2) Every professional team and high school venue bans weapons so why can't colleges?

3) Is it worth the risk of losing the 9 figures a year that college athletics brings into the state of MS?

4) It's funny seeing the tea party argue against their own arguments used for other bills passed in prior years.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 10:21 PM
It DOES change the law. It effectively removes the rihpght of businesses and others to set their own rules for attendance. The courts have repeatedly said that governments and private entities DO have the right to regulate firearms in a reasonable manner. If this passes it will be challenged in federal court by MSU and Ole Miss and numerous private entities. They WILL win. It's stupid and foolish, and ultimately futile.

MSU is not a business. They are a publicly funded institution. Not a private business. A private business can decide what is allowed on their property the same as a private landowner. This bill does nothing to change that so no private business will have any standing to sue. The government, in this case, has said that enhanced carry holders can bring weapons into stadiums. That is the regulation they made in 2011 and confirmed by our AG in 2013 in an opinion to the city of Corinth. All this bill does is give EC holders the right to sue a university if they deny entry to a sporting event which is currently legal in the state of MS. It neither rewrites nor supercedes any existing law. It is identical in nature to when they passed a law verifying open carry and concealed carry without a permit was legal in MS and had been since the 1800s. It didn?t change any existing law; only clarified and reaffirmed existing law already on the books. Those that think this is a bad idea need to lobby their reps to change the 2011 law. That?s the one you should be upset over.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 10:23 PM
Think about it rationally... what would happen it the SEC does that? You don't think 100 lawsuits would be filed in MISSISSIPPI to block that? If would be a court fight lasting years and years.

SEC bylaws aren't subject to Mississippi law. It's a voluntary organization. You abide by what the members pass, or you are out. It's the same as the NCAA. Legal precedent is very settled here Spider. If they vote to kick us out we are out. If they vote to force us to play on the road till the law is changed, we do it, or get out. So those FACTS being stated, which is it? Are you in favor of SEC memebership and SEC home games, or are you against them? That's all that matters as for as MSU athletics is concerened on this question. That's been my point this whole time. You have never once answered this simple question. All it would take as for as that is concerened is to allow gun bans at SEC events. You could still carry your gun into a courthouse, as stupid as that is.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 10:24 PM

Ask Haley Barbour on that one. Lol.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 10:28 PM
MSU is not a business. They are a publicly funded institution. Not a private business. A private business can decide what is allowed on their property the same as a private landowner. This bill does nothing to change that so no private business will have any standing to sue. The government, in this case, has said that enhanced carry holders can bring weapons into stadiums. That is the regulation they made in 2011 and confirmed by our AG in 2013 in an opinion to the city of Corinth. All this bill does is give EC holders the right to sue a university if they deny entry to a sporting event which is currently legal in the state of MS. It neither rewrites nor supercedes any existing law. It is identical in nature to when they passed a law verifying open carry and concealed carry without a permit was legal in MS and had been since the 1800s. It didn?t change any existing law; only clarified and reaffirmed existing law already on the books. Those that think this is a bad idea need to lobby their reps to change the 2011 law. That?s the one you should be upset over.
Never argued it was. MSU athletics, as a memeber of the SEC, IS subject to SEC bylaws as voted by the memebership though. If we don't abide by their rules then we suffer the consequences. What you are advocating will eventually result in at least playing every SEC game on the road. It eventually will result in expulsion from the league. Is that what you want? You have YET to address this question in this thread.

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 10:28 PM

MSU has different alcohol rules than the city of Starkville and MSU has it's own post office code. Pretty sure MSU can ban firearms from campus and it'd hold up in court.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 10:39 PM
Never argued it was. MSU athletics, as a memeber of the SEC, IS subject to SEC bylaws as voted by the memebership though. If we don't abide by their rules then we suffer the consequences. What you are advocating will eventually result in at least playing every SEC game on the road. It eventually will result in expulsion from the league. Is that what you want? You have YET to address this question in this thread.

No, of course I don?t want that. And I dont think it would come to that simply because it?s been a law for 7 years now and it?s never even been mentioned.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 10:41 PM
MSU has different alcohol rules than the city of Starkville and MSU has it's own post office code. Pretty sure MSU can ban firearms from campus and it'd hold up in court.

State law and the attorney general say otherwise, but stranger things have happened.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 10:41 PM
If this passes or is upheld me and my family won?t be attending sporting events in MS again. I?m all for the freedom to carry a firearm but a large, full stadium or arena is THE epitome of a soft target and is already impossible to secure without having several hundred extra guns thrown into the mix (with alcohol and emotions thrown in). There is nothing a regular citizen with an enhanced carry can do with a gun in a full stadium that won?t end with him/her hurting innocent bystanders. I don?t many (if any) have regular training for that situation.

I guarantee you you have been sitting by a bunch of people carrying in games. AGAIN, it has been allowed for years. If you are scared of licensed holders, you probably shouldn't leave your house.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 10:42 PM
1) ECL folks aren't trained anywhere near the level of LEO. Period end of discussion.

2) Every professional team and high school venue bans weapons so why can't colleges?

3) Is it worth the risk of losing the 9 figures a year that college athletics brings into the state of MS?

4) It's funny seeing the tea party argue against their own arguments used for other bills passed in prior years.

Its legal to carry to HS games too id you have EC

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 10:43 PM

I totally agree 61, MSU will do all it can as evidenced by Dr. Keenum's statement. The thing is MSU may not be able to make that decision. It is subject to State law. The SEC isn't.

Coach007
02-08-2018, 10:44 PM

That wasn't my question. My question was to your assertion that the 2nd wasn't meant for "X".

I asked where the limitation is within the 2nd.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 10:45 PM
Its legal to carry to HS games too id you have EC

Yes, but they can kick you out for doing so, as it stands now. They just can't arrest you, unless you decide to resist being kicked out.

WinningIsRelentless
No, of course I don?t want that. And I dont think it would come to that simply because it?s been a law for 7 years now and it?s never even been mentioned.

You aren't thinking this through. Yes it has been law for 7 years but the University has band them in DWS for 7 years. This law makes it a whole hell of a lot easier for people to sue the University and force them to allow guns into the stadium. When this happens it goes against SEC by-laws and bye bye MSU and Ole Miss or either we play every game on the road. That's up to a 9 figure hit to MS economy.

Spiderman

Might as well quit trying to logically lay this out for 99% of the ones on here.

It's like they can't understand this.

I propose if you haven't read the law, you shouldn't post. And if they don't like it, sue the state and take it to the MS Supreme Court.

Damn

Liverpooldawg
I guarantee you you have been sitting by a bunch of people carrying in games. AGAIN, it has been allowed for years. If you are scared of licensed holders, you probably should leave your house.

And if you are scared to leave your house without your gun, you probabaly shouldn't leave your house. Once again it isn't allowed at SEC venues. You would have been kicked out had they known you had a gun.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 10:46 PM
SEC bylaws aren't subject to Mississippi law. It's a voluntary organization. You abide by what the members pass, or you are out. It's the same as the NCAA. Legal precedent is very settled here Spider. If they vote to kick us out we are out. If they vote to force us to play on the road till the law is changed, we do it, or get out. So those FACTS being stated, which is it? Are you in favor of SEC memebership and SEC home games, or are you against them? That's all that matters as for as MSU athletics is concerened on this question. That's been my point this whole time. You have never once answered this simple question. All it would take as for as that is concerened is to allow gun bans at SEC events. You could still carry your gun into a courthouse, as stupid as that is.

Ok, we and OM would just go quietly.

Jesus

WinningIsRelentless
02-08-2018, 10:47 PM

Yes, but they can kick you out for doing so, as it stands now. They just can't arrest you, unless you decide to resist being kicked out.

Every hs game I've been to over the last 7 years has a sign clearing stating no weapons allowed.

Tbonewannabe
02-08-2018, 10:48 PM

A lot of people would change their stance if every Muslim in the US bought an AR15 and started walking around with it. Most people are fine as long as it is a good old boy even though most of the mass shootings are mentally deranged white guys.

Coach007
02-08-2018, 10:48 PM

Again, I see no need in bringing one.... but other feel differently and the fact is it's their right.

Somebody mentioned that the colleg games are considered soft targets.

I can assure you that I do not trust a security guard over my own ability. I can assure you there is NOT enough enforcement at games.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 10:49 PM
And if you are scared to leave your house without your gun, you probabaly shouldn't leave your house. Once again it isn't allowed at SEC venues. You would have been kicked out had they known you had a gun.

I'm not scared. Just refuse to not be prepared and at the mercy of others to hurt or protect me and my family.

Dawg61
You aren't thinking this through. Yes it has been law for 7 years but the University has band them in DWS for 7 years. This law makes it a whole hell of a lot easier for people to sue the University and force them to allow guns into the stadium. When this happens it goes against SEC by-laws and bye bye MSU and Ole Miss or either we play every game on the road. That's up to a 9 figure hit to MS economy.

And someone can't make the University do something that will get the University kicked out of the SEC. So if they sue the University all the University has to do is sue them right back for trying to force them to do something that will get MSU removed from the SEC. If some dickhead wants to play hardball vs MSU over being allowed to carry a gun into the stadium they are going to end up with a gigantic lawyer bill and waste 5 years in a courtroom just to lose. You can't force a University to get kicked out of the SEC just for you to be able to bring a gun into the stadium.

Coach007

I was about to post that guns are carried and people never know it. This is not a knew law

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 10:51 PM
Every hs game I've been to over the last 7 years has a sign clearing stating no weapons allowed.

Open carry and regular concealed carry are subject to that ban. State law says I'm not

Coach007
02-08-2018, 10:51 PM

And it's a valid point. However, IT would lead to a huge court battle and it will be the SEC that loses.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 10:52 PM
A lot of people would change their stance if every Muslim in the US bought an AR15 and started walking around with it. Most people are fine as long as it is a good old boy even though most of the mass shootings are mentally deranged white guys.

If the Muslim is an American citizen, I have no problem with it

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 10:53 PM
That wasn't my question. My question was to your assertion that the 2nd wasn't meant for "X".

I asked where the limitation is within the 2nd.

They didn't write very long back then considering it was 100 years before the light bulb was invented and they had to get back home on their horses to tend to the families and check on the livestock.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 10:53 PM
Again, I see no need in bringing one.... but other feel differently and the fact is it's their right.

Somebody mentioned that the colleg games are considered soft targets.

I can assure you that I do not trust a security guard over my own ability. I can assure you there is NOT enough enforcement at games.

well said, and 100% correct

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 10:54 PM

Once again, you are wrong about that. It is and always has been against the rules of stadium entry at MSU. What this law does is make those rules unenforceable by law. That is the change. If you advocate that change applying to SEC venues in Mississippi, then you are against MSU playing SEC home games, and probabaly eventually being a memeber of the SEC, by default. You can't have it both ways according to Sankey, and he speaks for the membership, including MSU, (see Keenum's statement). Thus may wind up being 1963 all over again. What is more important to you, carrying a gun into what eventually will be a disused stadium. Or seeing MSU playing at home? That's your choice here.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 10:54 PM

I have thought it through. And you are right that this bill will make it easier to sue. That?s the whole intent because colleges banning them is illegal. But I seriously doubt when push comes to shove that the SEC will force us to play all road games or give us the boot for being mandated to obey state law.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 10:55 PM
Open carry and regular concealed carry are subject to that ban. State law says I'm not

State law as it stands says you are. You have been misinformed.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 10:56 PM

Jesus

We wouldn't have a choice. It's a voluntary organization a NCAA. That's well settled law Spider. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 10:57 PM
State law and the attorney general say otherwise, but stranger things have happened.

No, they don't. That's what you can't get through your head.

starkvegasdawg
Once again, you are wrong about that. It is and always has been against the rules of stadium entry at MSU. What this law does is make those rules unenforceable by law. That is the change. If you advocate that change applying to SEC venues in Mississippi, then you are against MSU playing SEC home games, and probabaly eventually being a memeber of the SEC, by default. You can't have it both ways according to Sankey, and he speaks for the membership, including MSU, (see Keenum's statement). Thus may wind up being 1963 all over again. What is more important to you, carrying a gun into what eventually will be a disused stadium. Or seeing MSU playing at home? That's your choice here.

But those rules are against state law and legally unenforceable. It?s just that no one has pushed the issue until now. I really don?t think the SEC will play that card if this law is passed. It is none of their business and will open them up to being sued.

msstate7
We wouldn't have a choice. It's a voluntary organization a NCAA. That's well settled law Spider. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

So the commissioner can boot a charter member?

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 10:59 PM

This is what they refuse to acknowledge because they are scared to go anywhere without their guns.

Coach007
02-08-2018, 10:59 PM

You are wrong. It's already been to court

Court of Appeal rules UNF cannot prohibit guns on campus

the 1st District Court of Appeal has ruled the University of North Florida cannot prohibit guns from being kept in cars parked on campus.

It's been tried in Colorado too.

Campus Gun Ban Struck Down

The University of Colorado will have to allow concealed carry after a Supreme Court ruling declared its Board of Regents can't ban weapons from campuses.

In Oregon too!

You can not infringe upon the rights of citizens.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 11:00 PM

We are a charter member, they will not throw us out. Y'all are as scared of a veiled threat as you are law abiding citizens carrying a gun you have never even seen

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 11:01 PM
No, they don't. That's what you can't get through your head.

I read the 17ing opinion from the AG. It is exactly correct. That?s what you can?t get through your head.

Here is that opinion. Pay special attention to point 4.

http://www.ago.state.ms.us/releases/attorney-general-issues-opinion-to-clarify-gun-carry/

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 11:01 PM
State law as it stands says you are. You have been misinformed.

Might want to read the law again and show me where the state law bans me, as an EC holder, from doing so.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 11:02 PM
I'm not scared. Just refuse to not be prepared and at the mercy of others to hurt or protect me and my family.

Well then you have no business going places where your paranoia is against the rules. If I was that fearful I wouldn't let my family near such a place. Why do you? By the way, don't go to Europe. Try late night ride on the Tube for an hour across London sometime.

WinningIsRelentless
02-08-2018, 11:02 PM

You need to go read the AG opinion on that. It clearly states that if a sign is posted then you aren't allowed to carry it.

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 11:03 PM
You can not infringe upon the rights of citizens.

MSU will just make the stadium private property and ban guns from it. Problem solved. No guns on private property. You guys aren't going to be allowed to bring your guns into the stadium. Cry about it.

Liverpooldawg
So the commissioner can boot a charter member?

The membership can. Sankey would not have issued that letter without their support. Heck man MSU agrees with him on the law. Support your university.

Commercecomet24
We talking about the same moral sec administration that lets schools buy players with hookers, drugs, fraud,cheating and etc and turns a blind eye? Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Liverpooldawg
And someone can't make the University do something that will get the University kicked out of the SEC. So if they sue the University all the University has to do is sue them right back for trying to force them to do something that will get MSU removed from the SEC. If some dickhead wants to play hardball vs MSU over being allowed to carry a gun into the stadium they are going to end up with a gigantic lawyer bill and waste 5 years in a courtroom just to lose. You can't force a University to get kicked out of the SEC just for you to be able to bring a gun into the stadium.

Actually they can 61. The legislature can.

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 11:04 PM
I read the 17ing opinion from the AG. It is exactly correct. That?s what you can?t get through your head.

Here is that opinion. Pay special attention to point 4.

http://www.ago.state.ms.us/releases/attorney-general-issues-opinion-to-clarify-gun-carry/

4. Any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms. – (This provision authorizes an enhanced permit holder to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver into non-firearm related events even if signage is posted pursuant to Section 45-9-101(13). However, if signage were posted relating to a firearm related school, college or professional event, enhanced permit holders would not be authorized to carry their weapons.)

Boom, pun intended

msstate7
02-08-2018, 11:04 PM
The membership can. Sankey would not have issued that letter without their support. Heck man MSU agrees with him on the law. Support your university.

Should I support my state?

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 11:06 PM
We are a charter member, they will not throw us out. Y'all are as scared of a veiled threat as you are law abiding citizens carrying a gun you have never even seen

The "charter member can't be thrown out" rule does not exist. All it takes is a majority of the memebership. I would point out that university presidents hold that vote.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 11:08 PM
MSU will just make the stadium private property and ban guns from it. Problem solved. No guns on private property. You guys aren't going to be allowed to bring your guns into the stadium. Cry about it.

MSU can't do that without approval of the legislature.

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2018, 11:08 PM

https://youtu.be/yJqfNroFp8U

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 11:09 PM
Should I support my state?

Would you support your state in doing something that would have MSU kicked out of the SEC? Did you support the state vs MSU in 1963' or would you have?

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 11:09 PM
Well then you have no business going places where your paranoia is against the rules. If I was that fearful I wouldn't let my family near such a place. Why do you? By the way, don't go to Europe. Try late night ride on the Tube for an hour across London sometime.

No desire to go to Europe, nor plan to.

As far a you calling me paranoid, that means you have lost the argument because the facts aren't on your side.

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Actually they can 61. The legislature can.

Calling bullshit on this. A single citizen can't force an SEC member to break SEC rules causing the institution to get kicked out.

Coach007
02-08-2018, 11:11 PM

I don't think it is the only 2 choices.

I think the SEC will have a hard time in court.

msstate7
02-08-2018, 11:11 PM
Would you support your state in doing something that would have MSU kicked out of the SEC? Did you support the state vs MSU in 1963' or would you have?

Civil rights were being violated back then. If anything, are the gun owner rights being violated here? Again though, I am not a gun guy, and really see no reason to bring a gun to a game

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 11:14 PM
I don't think it is the only 2 choices.

I think the SEC will have a hard time in court.

Yep. I hate to even say this but there?s no way all them unm lawyers let both of us get kicked out without a huge fight. Hell they just pretty much kicked the ncaas ass.

BrunswickDawg
Civil rights were being violated back then. If anything, are the gun owner rights being violated here? Again though, I am not a gun guy, and really see no reason to bring a gun to a game

According to Scalia in the Heller decision, you would not infringe on ownership rights by restricting where you can take them.

starkvegasdawg

So do you lock the doors on your house at night or pitch up hitchhikers late at night? You wear your seatbelt and make your kids wear a helmet when on a bike? Does that make you paranoid or taking precautions?

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 11:15 PM
4. Any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms. – (This provision authorizes an enhanced permit holder to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver into non-firearm related events even if signage is posted pursuant to Section 45-9-101(13). However, if signage were posted relating to a firearm related school, college or professional event, enhanced permit holders would not be authorized to carry their weapons.)
Boom, pun intended

But you would still be violating the terms you voluntarily entered into when you bought your ticket. I'm glad I don't do any kind of business with you. It's a moot point in this arguement anyway. This has nothing to do with state law. You are explicitly saying you do not want MSU to have home games or be an SEC member. You value your gun more than that obviously

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 11:16 PM
So do you lock the doors on your house at night or pitch up hitchhikers late at night? You wear your seatbelt and make your kids wear a helmet when on a bike? Does that make you paranoid or taking precautions?

None of those things would result in MSU not having any home games or getting kicked out of the SEC.

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 11:16 PM
MSU can't do that without approval of the legislature.

MSU can make the stadium have "resort" status since they have their own postal code. On the DWS resort guns aren't allowed. Problem solved. No guns so cry about it pus$ies. MSU stays in the SEC.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 11:17 PM

Except none of those precautions put other innocent people in possible danger because of your shitty aim**

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 11:19 PM
According to Scalia in the Heller decision, you would not infringe on ownership rights by restricting where you can take them.

Eactly. These dudes would be really surprised at what's in my house. Your home is your castle. Scott Field isn't.

Coach007
02-08-2018, 11:19 PM
This is what they refuse to acknowledge because they are scared to go anywhere without their guns.

Has nothing to do with fear, BUT if it did it has zero to do with RIGHTS. For what ever reason, I am afforded that right should I choose to exercise that right. The attempt at putting down another because you disagree due to your fear of something negative happening.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 11:20 PM
MSU can make the stadium have "resort" status since they have their own postal code. On the DWS resort guns aren't allowed. Problem solved. No guns so cry about it pus$ies. MSU stays in the SEC.

Not without legislative approval. Trust me on this one, our local country club, in a dry county , has been trying for years and has been blocked at every turn.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 11:21 PM
Has nothing to do with fear, BUT if it did it has zero to do with RIGHTS. For what ever reason, I am afforded that right should I choose to exercise that right. The attempt at putting down another because you disagree due to your fear of something negative happening.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/500x/69682973/because-its-the-principal-of-the-thing.jpg

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 11:21 PM

The only negative here that matters is MSU not having any home games and potentially getting kicked out of the SEC. obviously you guys want that.

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 11:23 PM
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/500x/69682973/because-its-the-principal-of-the-thing.jpg

Always love your memes and gifs man! Always well done!

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 11:23 PM

Yep

Spiderman
02-08-2018, 11:26 PM
The only negative here that matters is MSU not having any home games and potentially getting kicked out of the SEC. obviously you guys want that.

No we don't, and to talk of paranoid, Sankey's little threat has you pretty much that way.

It's gamesmanship, and you are reacting like he would hope.

BTW, where do you live?

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 11:28 PM
Not without legislative approval. Trust me on this one, our local country club, in a dry county , has been trying for years and has been blocked at every turn.

Country Club doesn't have it's own post office. MSU does. MSU doesn't have to go to the legislature for resort status on something the MSU board just has to vote on it themselves.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 11:29 PM
None of those things would result in MSU not having any home games or getting kicked out of the SEC.

And that happening is far from a certainty. I?m sure Sankey would threaten it and may actually try it. I just don?t think it would be successful. Whoever mentioned trying to make campus private property I could see that being tried and, if successful, would then allow them to legally ban them. The catch 22 is if they go private do they lose public funding?

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 11:30 PM
Except none of those precautions put other innocent people in possible danger because of your shitty aim**

My aim makes snipers piss their pants.***

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 11:32 PM

Jesus

We wouldn't go quietly, neither does the man who has to be drug to the electric chair, but he goes anyway. This is settled law. If you don't like the rules of a voluntary organization you can get out, nobody is forcing you to stay. Since your vote is to get out of the SEC over this if it comes to it, what should we do next? What conference can we join and let you keep you guns in the stadium?

msstate7

I love miss state sports and being in the sec, but I would not give up my rights to stay a member. The state of miss allows it... why should the sec override them? For the record, I do not own 1 gun.

Dawg61
And that happening is far from a certainty. I?m sure Sankey would threaten it and may actually try it. I just don?t think it would be successful. Whoever mentioned trying to make campus private property I could see that being tried and, if successful, would then allow them to legally ban them. The catch 22 is if they go private do they lose public funding?

I mentioned it and I am saying just make the stadiums private property not the entire campus.

BeardoMSU
My aim makes snipers piss their pants.***

No doubt**

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/step_brothers_sword_fight.gif

Coach007
02-08-2018, 11:33 PM

Actually, I will if I choose. You are freaking out over something the SEC KNOWS it will lose on.

Utah has allowed it for well over a decade and you didn't even know it!

msstate7
02-08-2018, 11:33 PM
I mentioned it and I am saying just make the stadiums private property not the entire campus.

Gonna be privately funded?

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 11:36 PM
Gonna be privately funded?

There's ways around this

dawgoneyall
02-08-2018, 11:38 PM

He (Sankey) needs to go now.

But no one needs to carry a weapon to/into an athletic event (except the obvious).

Coach007
02-08-2018, 11:39 PM

So you choose extortion over rights?

Coach007
02-08-2018, 11:42 PM

No, because I value my rights over a game in the end.

Dawg61
Looks guys this isn't new. The state of Arkansas and University of Arkansas already dealt with this same exact threat from Sankey. The Piggies just made the guns illegal to bring into the stadiums. We will do the same thing. All you blowhards ain't gonna do shit when MSU does the same exact thing Arkansas just did. You aren't going to get MSU kicked outta the SEC because you ain't about to have a million people all over your ass about it. You can act tough on a message board but when the entire Mississippi State alumni, fanbase and millions of mouths reliant on MSU being in the SEC are coming for you you won't be wanting to bring your peashooter into any stadiums any decade soon.

Liverpooldawg

If a majority of the university presidents of the membership vote so then he absolutely would be successful, and no lawsuits would overturn it, it's settled law. I can predict that votes outcome and you can too. The only way you can make the campus private is by legislative approval, and we would lose public funding from the state. That would make no difference whatsoever to the SEC. all they care about is their law. It might ease your sensibilities if a private entity did the banning, but that would essentially kill off MSU as we know it. Is that what you really want? Come on man, just allow an exception for SEC venues like Arkansas did. It's comman sense. Even if you can't see that surely you can see the benefit to our athletics to being a full member of the SEC. The secret to a good and functioning country, family, and world is compromise. How did we ever lose that? My personal contemporary hero, Ronald Reagan, knew that. So did, believe it or not, Bill Clinton.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 11:43 PM

Could be a potential option but they?d have to make sure no public funds are used in upkeep and maintenance.

Right now I just refuse to freak out over this. If the bill passes I really don?t think MSU and TSUN will get kicked out of the SEC just like I doubt every other college in the state will get kicked out of their conferences. There may be a lot of posturing, threats, and bravado slung around, but at the end of the day they?re going to realize it?s been happening for years without incident. I?ve never carried a gun on my person while on campus and not saying I?ll try anytime soon. But the thought of knowing I was at a game where an EC holder did have one does not bother me in the least. Everybody been calling me paranoid and scared and I think I?m about the least paranoid and scared person that has posted on this thread.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 11:44 PM
No, because I value my rights over a game in the end.

Yet going to the game is a choice in the end, yes?

msstate7
02-08-2018, 11:45 PM
Looks guys this isn't new. The state of Arkansas and University of Arkansas already dealt with this same exact threat from Sankey. The Piggies just made the guns illegal to bring into the stadiums. We will do the same thing. All you blowhards ain't gonna do shit when MSU does the same exact thing Arkansas just did. You aren't going to get MSU kicked outta the SEC because you ain't about to have a million people all over your ass about it. You can act tough on a message board but when the entire Mississippi State alumni, fanbase and millions of mouths reliant on MSU being in the SEC are coming for you you won't be wanting to bring your peashooter into any stadiums any decade soon.

Not that I think the sec would kick us out over this crap, but what is the removal process for a charter member (us and om) vs a non-charter (ark)? Is it the same? Again, we are not getting kicked out... just curious

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 11:46 PM

You are right. If they find a way to legally ban guns from the stadium then I?ll never attempt to bring it on campus. All I ask is that it be done legally. Right now they?re doing so illegally.

Coach007
02-08-2018, 11:48 PM

No, obviously what I want is my rights should I choose to exercise them and for the SEC TYRANT to not infringe on them and many courts have already ruled!

And I object to the only thing that matters is MSU getting kick out. I value my rights WAY more than sports.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 11:52 PM
SEC TYRANT

Being a member of the best athletic conference in the country is a privilege, not a right....

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 11:53 PM
Not that I think the sec would kick us out over this crap, but what is the removal process for a charter member (us and om) vs a non-charter (ark)? Is it the same? Again, we are not getting kicked out... just curious

We aren't getting removed from the SEC over guns. We might get removed for other things but it won't be over guns cause that will cause every gun nut in the entire country to come to MSU's aid. Sankey don't want this. He hasn't thought this through enough.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2018, 11:54 PM
Being a member of the best athletic conference in the country is a privilege, not a right....

And if this passes we will still be a member.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 11:55 PM
We aren't getting removed from the SEC over guns. We might get removed for other things

You're probably right. If anything, it'll be our house sigil that ****s us in the end...

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 11:58 PM
I love miss state sports and being in the sec, but I would not give up my rights to stay a member. The state of miss allows it... why should the sec override them? For the record, I do not own 1 gun.

For the record I and my family own a bunch of them. I grew up with them, I have no memory of the first time I shot one, I just always have. I keep one in my office and a bunch in my home. I will never give them up. When it comes to ballgames and guns, esp college games where copious amounts of alcohol are always involved, it's just common sense to leave the guns to the professionals. I've just seen too many otherwise reasonable and responsible people, like the people who have enhanced carry, go stark raving crazy at games, and many of those were sober. Heck I've done it. I wouldn't trust myself with a gun at an Ole Miss game and nearly everyone that knows me would. Emotions are much more powerful than any drug. I never cry at all, even for death in the family, but sports, esp where MSU, my old high school, and a few other teams I am attached too are concerned the tears will always flow at big moments. That's damn stupid and juvinile I know, but it is what it is. I'm not alone. History proves that. Do a little digging on the Roman Empire, esp in the East at Constanople. If you say you would never lose control at a ballgame, you are either totally deluded and need to be protected from yourself, or you are a liar.

Dawg61
02-08-2018, 11:59 PM
You are right. If they find a way to legally ban guns from the stadium then I?ll never attempt to bring it on campus. All I ask is that it be done legally. Right now they?re doing so illegally.

Have they not allowed people in that have guns yet? Seems like they haven't done anything illegal yet and what's stopping them from not allowing those people in for other reasons besides having a gun on them? "oh you have a gun well I think you're drunk so I can't let you in sorry sir come back when you sober up".

Coach007
02-09-2018, 12:00 AM
We wouldn't go quietly, neither does the man who has to be drug to the electric chair, but he goes anyway. This is settled law. If you don't like the rules of a voluntary organization you can get out, nobody is forcing you to stay. Since your vote is to get out of the SEC over this if it comes to it, what should we do next? What conference can we join and let you keep you guns in the stadium?

I beg to differ. Let's please take this to the SCOTUS.

BeardoMSU
02-09-2018, 12:01 AM

Jesus....dramatic much?

Liverpooldawg
02-09-2018, 12:01 AM
We aren't getting removed from the SEC over guns. We might get removed for other things but it won't be over guns cause that will cause every gun nut in the entire country to come to MSU's aid. Sankey don't want this. He hasn't thought this through enough.

Actually 61, no SEC commisoner has ever issued such a strong statement except to us, Ole Miss, and Arkansas. Arkansas and had sense enough to amend their law. Hopefully we do.

Coach007
02-09-2018, 12:02 AM
He (Sankey) needs to go now.

But no one needs to carry a weapon to/into an athletic event (except the obvious).

University of Utah has been allowing it well over a decade...

BeardoMSU
02-09-2018, 12:04 AM
Actually 61, no SEC commisoner has ever issued such a strong statement except to us, Ole Miss, and Arkansas. Arkansas and had sense enough to amend their law. Hopefully we do.

I'm sure we will, tbh. But it still amazes me that we continue to preemptively shoot ourselves in the foot, even in the short-term. The flag, HB 1523, and now this....Jeez. There are quieter, more diplomatic ways of doing things, but MS politicians love theatrics far too much to take the high road...

Liverpooldawg
02-09-2018, 12:06 AM

We would lose. It would also cost millions to lose. As a Mississippi taxpayer and a MSU alum, I would prefer to spend much money on more important than things than this bs. I'm a almost dinosaur of a conservative too. Ask 61, he nphpgot me kicked off the political board for being a dinosaur conservative. I also have common sense. Enough to recognize a losing battle against comman sense when I see it. Even mu fellow traveler Justice Scalia would have agepreed with me here.

starkvegasdawg
02-09-2018, 12:07 AM
Have they not allowed people in that have guns yet? Seems like they haven't done anything illegal yet and what's stopping them from not allowing those people in for other reasons besides having a gun on them? "oh you have a gun well I think you're drunk so I can't let you in sorry sir come back when you sober up".

Right now it is my understanding if they see a weapon on anyone attempting to enter the stadium they would be refused entry based on the fact they have a no firearms sign posted at the entrances. They can legally do that for all people who do not have an EC. If you have an EC but are intoxicated, and are discovered to have a weapon they can arrest you anywhere as that is illegal.

Liverpooldawg
02-09-2018, 12:09 AM
University of Utah has been allowing it well over a decade...

Are they in the SEC?

BeardoMSU
02-09-2018, 12:10 AM
Are they in the SEC?

Yeah....lets join their conference!

Dawg61
02-09-2018, 12:14 AM

Well Utah is kinda close to Boise St. so...**

msstate7
Are they in the SEC?

They are in the conference that has schools from California, Washington, and Oregon. Those are some very liberal states. Kinda weird this bothers the sec more than the pac12

Commercecomet24
They are in the conference that has schools from California, Washington, and Oregon. Those are some very liberal states. Kinda weird this bothers the sec more than the pac12

Is kinda odd isn?t it?

Liverpooldawg
02-09-2018, 12:21 AM
I'm sure we will, tbh. But it still amazes me that we continue to preemptively shoot ourselves in the foot, even in the short-term. The flag, HB 1523, and now this....Jeez. There are quieter, more diplomatic ways of doing things, but MS politicians love theatrics far too much to take the high road...

I voted for the new flag in that vote. I hated the new design offered, but I totally understand why African-Americans hate that flag. Your flag should be a symbol that unites your entire popipulation, or at the worst doesn't alienate 40% of them. I assume HB1523 is the religious right bill. That one I support. I wouldn't force a Muslim baker to create and bake a same sex wedding cake against their will. Nor would a do that to a Christian one. I wouldn't force Jewish one to bake one featuring a Swastica. I wouldn't force a Nazi baker to bake one featuring a Star of David. I wouldn't force a atheist to bake one featuring a Cross, and I'm a devout Christian. Now if any of those already stocked and they refused to sell one to whoever, THAT I would oppose. I'm in the healthcare industry. I would never turn anyone away based on politics or religion. For one thing health care at the delivery level has no politics. For another as a Christian we are instructed to love even our enemies.

Coach007
02-09-2018, 12:22 AM

They beat Bama