PDA

View Full Version : Now that recruiting is over- today I officially become Playoff34

Coach34
02-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Mississippi State is going to win the SEC Title in 2018. Yep- I said it. I'm saying it loudly and proudly. We will be the best team in the SEC for 2018. I'm not just throwing something out there for no reason- everybody that reads me stuff knows I provide reasons. So here we go:

1. The SEC is a LOS League

4/5 starters return on the OL. Any coach will tell you that is huge for any team. Especially when that OL was considered to be very good the year before. Not only that- that open spot will be replaced by someone that made a couple of starts there last year. So now that new guy for 2018 has starting experience and has been in the fire. There is also depth in the OL with numerous upperclassmen.

Defensive line???? One of the best in the country with talented depth. Simmons? !st round draft pick. Sweat? SEC leader in sacks- 2-3 round draft pick. Chauncey Rivers? Scouts say he is a top 3 round draft talent. And let's dont forget about Spencer, Adams, Kobe Jones, and R-Fr Aaron Odom. Hoyett and Thomas rotated at DT last year and will again. Brown and Autry provide depth at DT. Super talented group that is top 3 in the SEC.

2. Playmaker at QB

Nick Fitz will simply be one of the SEC's best in 2018. He didnt finish in the top 5 of the SEC in rushing due to injury (8th)- but was an animal again in 2017 for the 1st 11 games. He will once again approach 1,000 yards rushing as a QB in 2018. Passing game? Will certainly improve with an infusion of talent and more experience at WR. You are also going to see him in a new system that SEC coaches wont be so familiar with. Then let's add that Fitz is a graduate- who will now have a lighter school load to focus more time on football. This will allow him more film time to scout or improve reads and mechanics. You're gonna see a guy working his craft to become as highly drafted as possible.

Let's also don't forget he has a more than capable back-up in KT. KT will get some game time in most games because he will be ready for it. Not simply garbage time.

3. Quality Skill Players

We have discussed the playmaker at QB and the quality OL- but what about the rest of the offense? The RB's are very good. Aeris Williams has proven that he is a quality SEC RB. Mr. Steady. He is not great at anything but is good at everything. Kylin Hill? NFL talent that has big play potential each time he touches the ball. With a Spring under his belt- he should be vastly improved on the little things RB's have to do. Nick Gibson is a solid #3.
WR will be vastly improved. Malik Dear returns. Mixon is now a veteran. Insert a good juco talent in Guidry. Improved play from other returnees is expected. Can the talented freshman signees make an impact? One would think Jason does after going thru Spring practice. The TE's are very good with depth. Green is considered a top 10 returnee in the country at the position.

9 starters return on offense plus talent added at WR. Exciting times for a guy taking over considered one of the top OC's in the country.

4. Defense Wins Championships

We have already discussed the DL. Bottom line- one of the top groups in the country for 2018 with 2 All-SEC players returning and more being added. That is the foundation of a great defense.
LB's? Errol Thompson proved he can play SEC football. Willie Gay really came on at the end of the season. Really good year from Gerri Green who finally showed that talent was there to match the hype. Leo Lewis wont have such a shitstorm around him off the field in 2018 and should resume playing the way he did as a Freshman.
The Safetys are quality. McLaurin and Abram were our leading tacklers and are enforcers. Bryant had an improved 2017. Strong group
CB has some questions but there are a couple of possible answers in Peters and Dantzler. Brian Cole gets added to the mix in 2018 also- another impact player

8 starters return on D along with plenty of guys that played in 2017. Plus impact players being added in Rivers and Cole. When was the last time you saw a good defense not named Alabama- 10th nationally in Total D- return 14 of its top 16 tacklers plus add more impact players? This is a championship winning D in 2018.

5. Schedule

It's the SEC- it wont ever be easy. We get the swing games at home. Florida, Auburn, A&M, and UPig. Got to win at home. At Kentucky? We are better. At Ole Miss? They are dangerous but their defense will be one of the league's worst. At LSU? No QB for them, we get the week off to get ready, and LSU plays Florida and Georgia the 2 weeks before us. At Alabama? Winner goes to Atlanta. We have to get the job done.

6. Coaching

Here is where things are less cut and dried but we do have a few clues.

JoMo has head coaching experience- Dan Mullen did not. Both considered to be very good OC's when they arrived in Starkville. Mullen made an immediate impact on the offense at State upon taking over. I expect the same from Moorhead- especially with a veteran group of guys. State will also not change alot on offense while making the switch. Both coaches were zone run- RPO coaches so the offense wont see a major overhaul. It will see more downfield throws as compared to West Coast horizontal passes that Mullen preferred.

Defensively, this is where you may see more changes. But when you have the kind of talent State has on D- the fewer chances you have to take. The less pressure you feel to outscheme your opponent. Let those guys ball out and attack. Grantham is a good defensive coach- but Grantham had alot better group on the field than Sirmon did as well. Shoop will have a more talented D than Grantham did- let that sink in.

Bottom line- JoMo has been a HC and wont be surprised by the little things or demands on his time that a HC has to deal with. I expect him to handle his first couple of years better than Mullen did because of it.

SugarBowl34
HailState

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Great, great forecast. I like the new SugarBowl34.

HailState

Dental Dawg
02-08-2018, 11:48 AM
If MSU goes to the SugarBowl, how long before Ole Miss cranks up the Joe Moorhead to ..... university? He’s ready to get out of Starkville.

TXDawg
02-08-2018, 11:55 AM
My concern is whether or not Fitz will be 100% coming off the ankle injury. Yes, we've heard reports that his recovery is going well, and everyone *expects* him to make a full recovery, but we won't know for sure until he buckles the chin strap and steps back on the field. Until the, we just don't know.

Coach34
02-08-2018, 12:02 PM
He is already out of his boot and walking now

Jarius
02-08-2018, 12:06 PM
If MSU goes to the SugarBowl, how long before Ole Miss cranks up the Joe Moorhead to ..... university? He’s ready to get out of Starkville.

That coaching search dot com website the ole miss guy runs would be throwing Moorhead's name out there the day we were playing Alabama for the SEC West Title if this situation were to occur. They are not going to be able to take us being better than them record wise and us beating their brains out. It is going to drive them to JWS level infatuation until they find a way to get us down to their level again.

preachermatt83
02-08-2018, 12:11 PM
Outstanding post. I agree completely

TUSK
02-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Can I change my handle to "TheDynastyIsDead"?

At least until Bammer wins the 874th NC in January?

shoeless joe
02-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Good read...lots of reasons to be excited. No doubt you bring the quality lumber on the sport you are well versed in.

TrapGame
02-08-2018, 12:18 PM
If we win the West and go to the Sugar Bowl the Network will go back up, full speed ahead, NCAA be damned.

parabrave
02-08-2018, 12:23 PM
Mississippi State is going to win the SEC Title in 2018. Yep- I said it. I'm saying it loudly and proudly. We will be the best team in the SEC for 2018. I'm not just throwing something out there for no reason- everybody that reads me stuff knows I provide reasons. So here we go:

4/5 starters return on the OL. Any coach will tell you that is huge for any team. Especially when that OL was considered to be very good the year before. Not only that- that open spot will be replaced by someone that made a couple of starts there last year. So now that new guy for 2018 has starting experience and has been in the fire. There is also depth in the OL with numerous upperclassmen.

Defensive line???? One of the best in the country with talented depth. Simmons? !st round draft pick. Sweat? SEC leader in sacks- 2-3 round draft pick. Chauncey Rivers? Scouts say he is a top 3 round draft talent. And let's dont forget about Spencer, Adams, Kobe Jones, and R-Fr Aaron Odom. Hoyett and Thomas rotated at DT last year and will again. Brown and Autry provide depth at DT. Super talented group that is top 3 in the SEC.

2. Playmaker at QB

Nick Fitz will simply be one of the SEC's best in 2018. He didnt finish in the top 5 of the SEC in rushing due to injury (8th)- but was an animal again in 2017 for the 1st 11 games. He will once again approach 1,000 yards rushing as a QB in 2018. Passing game? Will certainly improve with an infusion of talent and more experience at WR. You are also going to see him in a new system that SEC coaches wont be so familiar with. Then let's add that Fitz is a graduate- who will now have a lighter school load to focus more time on football. This will allow him more film time to scout or improve reads and mechanics. You're gonna see a guy working his craft to become as highly drafted as possible.

Let's also don't forget he has a more than capable back-up in KT. KT will get some game time in most games because he will be ready for it. Not simply garbage time.

3. Quality Skill Players

Wehave discussed the playmaker at QB and the quality OL- but what about the rest of the offense? The RB's are very good. Aeris Williams has proven that he is a quality SEC RB. Mr. Steady. He is not great at anything but is good at everything. Kylin Hill? NFL talent that has big play potential each time he touches the ball. With a Spring under his belt- he should be vastly improved on the little things RB's have to do. Nick Gibson is a solid #3.
WR will be vastly improved. Malik Dear returns. Mixon is now a veteran. Insert a good juco talent in Guidry. Improved play from other returnees is expected. Can the talented freshman signees make an impact? One would think Jason does after going thru Spring practice. The TE's are very good with depth. Green is considered a top 10 returnee in the country at the position.

9 starters return on offense plus talent added at WR. Exciting times for a guy taking over considered one of the top OC's in the country.

We have already discussed the DL. Bottom line- one of the top groups in the country for 2018 with 2 All-SEC players returning and more being added. That is the foundation of a great defense.
LB's? Errol Thompson proved he can play SEC football. Willie Gay really came on at the end of the season. Really good year from Gerri Green who finally showed that talent was there to match the hype. Leo Lewis wont have such a shitstorm around him off the field in 2018 and should resume playing the way he did as a Freshman.
The Safetys are quality. McLaurin and Abram were our leading tacklers and are enforcers. Bryant had an improved 2017. Strong group
CB has some questions but there are a couple of possible answers in Peters and Dantzler. Brian Cole gets added to the mix in 2018 also- another impact player

8 starters return on D along with plenty of guys that played in 2017. Plus impact players being added in Rivers and Cole. When was the last time you saw a good defense not named Alabama- 10th nationally in Total D- return 14 of its top 16 tacklers plus add more impact players? This is a championship winning D in 2018.

5. Schedule

It's the SEC- it wont ever be easy. We get the swing games at home. Florida, Auburn, A&M, and UPig. Got to win at home. At Kentucky? We are better. At Ole Miss? They are dangerous but their defense will be one of the league's worst. At LSU? No QB for them, we get the week off to get ready, and LSU plays Florida and Georgia the 2 weeks before us. At Alabama? Winner goes to Atlanta. We have to get the job done.

6. Coaching

Hereis where things are less cut and dried but we do have a few clues.

JoMo has head coaching experience- Dan Mullen did not. Both considered to be very good OC's when they arrived in Starkville. Mullen made an immediate impact on the offense at State upon taking over. I expect the same from Moorhead- especially with a veteran group of guys. State will also not change alot on offense while making the switch. Both coaches were zone run- RPO coaches so the offense wont see a major overhaul. It will see more downfield throws as compared to West Coast horizontal passes that Mullen preferred.

Defensively, this is where you may see more changes. But when you have the kind of talent State has on D- the fewer chances you have to take. The less pressure you feel to outscheme your opponent. Let those guys ball out and attack. Grantham is a good defensive coach- but Grantham had alot better group on the field than Sirmon did as well. Shoop will have a more talented D than Grantham did- let that sink in.

Bottom line- JoMo has been a HC and wont be surprised by the little things or demands on his time that a HC has to deal with. I expect him to handle his first couple of years better than Mullen did because of it.

SugarBowl34
HailState

Agree 100% but I remember 2000.

BeardoMSU
02-08-2018, 12:35 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/7828c67cd002bd839432c0c202bf69d1/tenor.gif?itemid=8111536

missouridawg
02-08-2018, 12:53 PM
It took Penn State around 5 games to get rolling in JoMos offense. If we can avoid slip ups at K state and vs Florida, it could be a really fun year.

PassInterference
02-08-2018, 01:08 PM
I think we are a lot better right now than Penn State was when JoeMo was getting them started.

ShotgunDawg
02-08-2018, 01:29 PM
C34,

Agreed

I think Moorhead is about to go Doug Peterson on the SEC next year.

I?ve been struggling to find Moorhead?s coaching comp, but, after learning more about Doug Peterson, from a background, personality, demeanor, and offensive scheme standpoint, I think they are very similar.

I think we are going to see more aggression and play with less self inflicted pressure against elite teams. Also, due to Moorhead being an elite and significantly better communicator than Dan, your going to see a team that executes better under pressure.

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 01:35 PM
C34,

Agreed

I think Moorhead is about to go Doug Peterson on the SEC next year.

I?ve been struggling to find Moorhead?s coaching comp, but, after learning more about Doug Peterson, from a background, personality, demeanor, and offensive scheme standpoint, I think they are very similar.

I think we are going to see more aggression and play with less self inflicted pressure against elite teams. Also, due to Moorhead being an elite and significantly better communicator than Dan, your going to see a team that executes better under pressure.

Dead-on here, Gun. Pederson and Moorheads offenses are very similar. Good comp.

Bothrops
02-08-2018, 02:00 PM
It took Penn State around 5 games to get rolling in JoMos offense. If we can avoid slip ups at K state and vs Florida, it could be a really fun year.

This is worthy of note

ShotgunDawg
02-08-2018, 02:09 PM

True but Penn State started at bad on offense and went to good.

We are starting at pretty good on offense.

So, yes, it may take Moorhead 5 games to get this offense significantly better but he’s starting from a significantly higher baseline than where Penn State’s offense was at the time he took over

MadDawg
02-08-2018, 02:14 PM
today I officially become SugarBowl34

Weird thing is, the only way this new name truly sticks is if we don't make it to the Sugar Bowl. Then it's yours for life. Just ask Steve aka Rosebowl.

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 02:17 PM
True but Penn State started at bad on offense and went to good.

We are starting at pretty good on offense.

So, yes, it may take Moorhead 5 games to get this offense significantly better but he’s starting from a significantly higher baseline than where Penn State’s offense was at the time he took over

Also, as SB34 mentioned the offense we ran and Joe's are very similar Zone-RPO systems which won't require a whole lot of relearning. Joe's has a more vertical passing concept, while ours was more horizontal, but very similar. PSU was running more of a more pro style offense when Joe got there so the learning curve was much greater. That plus we have an experienced QB which should help tremendously. I think we take off rather quickly this season.

Jack Lambert
02-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Agree 100% but I remember 2000.

The thing that is different is in 2000 Jackie sign a good number of JUCO the signing season before and after he signed them the SEC changed the transfer rules and they had to wait until after the spring semester to get to campus and they missed spring training. Plus some of them did not pan out and the NCAA had opened an office on campus. A lot was going on.

Coach34
02-08-2018, 02:38 PM
It took Penn State around 5 games to get rolling in JoMos offense.

They were converting from pro-style to Spread also. We will be Spread to Spread

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 02:48 PM
They were converting from pro-style to Spread also. We will be Spread to Spread

I'm thinking the biggest differences will be terminology and route concepts. I'm also thinking from watching video of Joe's offenses that our run game, blocking schemes will be very familiar for our players. I'm sure you know this stuff way better than me, Coach.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-08-2018, 02:50 PM
If you look at other teams, they lost underclassmen to the draft, plus some contributing seniors. We basically have the entire team back. I mean the whole freaking team. We lose a receiver or two, but added two 4 stars and the top JUCO wideout in the country. We lose Rankin, but he didn't play 40% of the year anyway. We lose JT Gray, Durr, and Cleveland. Good players but not great. The point many forget is that depth matters in this league, and we will have it. We also add several JUCOS that redshirted last year (Rivers, 2 o-linemen, 2 DBS)

thf24
02-08-2018, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking the biggest differences will be terminology and route concepts.

Great point... our receivers are going to have to actually learn how to run routes.***

TrapGame
02-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Great point... our receivers are going to have to actually learn how to run routes.***

Billy G was a terrible coach and equally as sucky as a recruiter.

Dawgface
02-08-2018, 03:31 PM
If we win the West and go to the Sugar Bowl the Network will go back up, full speed ahead, NCAA be damned.

No doubt about that.

Hope c34 is right. Remember how Rosebowl got his name? Hopefully it won't turn out the same for sugarbowl34.

TXDawg
02-08-2018, 03:42 PM
He is already out of his boot and walking now

And? Big difference between walking and running/cutting. Even if the ankle is 100%, he's still going to have trust issues until it's tested on the field in game situations. Obviously, I hope he comes back better than ever, but the reality is that we won't know for sure until September.

thf24
02-08-2018, 03:56 PM
Billy G was a terrible coach and equally as sucky as a recruiter.

Exactly. No other explanation than coaching when we had so many guys like Gabe Myles and Donald Gray who were both quick and fast but were constantly blanketed by defenders.

Coach34
02-08-2018, 03:59 PM
And? Big difference between walking and running/cutting. Even if the ankle is 100%, he's still going to have trust issues until it's tested on the field in game situations. Obviously, I hope he comes back better than ever, but the reality is that we won't know for sure until September.

he is going to practice this Spring some and is still 7 months out from playing in a game. He will be fine

Todd4State
02-08-2018, 04:20 PM
I can't wait to see y'all at the EliteDawgs tailgate in NOLA! Hail State!

TrapGame
02-08-2018, 04:35 PM
No doubt about that.

Hope c34 is right. Remember how Rosebowl got his name? Hopefully it won't turn out the same for sugarbowl34.

And that's just for going to the Sugar. If we make it to the NC game Oxford will be at defcon five. Archie's cell phone will be dinging from text messages every three seconds non-stop.

But I'm getting ahead of myself... If we are undefeated at the EB those bastards will do their damn best to cripple every member of our offense. It will be the ugliest, dirtiest EB in history.

gravedigger
02-08-2018, 04:41 PM
Can I change my handle to "TheDynastyIsDead"?

873rd..........1941 is mine

Todd4State
02-08-2018, 05:00 PM
And that's just for going to the Sugar. If we make it to the NC game Oxford will be at defcon five. Archie's cell phone will be dinging from text messages every three seconds non-stop.

But I'm getting ahead of myself... If we are undefeated at the EB those bastards will do their damn best to cripple every member of our offense. It will be the ugliest, dirtiest EB in history.

Yeah. Well, if I'm Cohen I'm sending him video from last year's Egg Bowl and telling Sankey you better send some of your strictest officials so this shit doesn't happen again.

I bet things get called a lot tighter next year.

Todd4State
02-08-2018, 05:04 PM
The thing that is different is in 2000 Jackie sign a good number of JUCO the signing season before and after he signed them the SEC changed the transfer rules and they had to wait until after the spring semester to get to campus and they missed spring training. Plus some of them did not pan out and the NCAA had opened an office on campus. A lot was going on.

Joe Lee was a pretty lazy recruiter. And I think once we found out we could get good players from the JUCO's as well as a few others like Kansas State other schools started going after them too which cut down on the "how did they get THAT guy" players we were getting like JJ Johnson, Randy Thomas, Fred Smoot, Ashley Cooper, etc.

I think Jackie felt like he could just take a bunch of JUCO's and plug them in every couple of years or so and we would be awesome. And it just ran it's course.

Bubb Rubb
02-08-2018, 06:05 PM
I share your enthusiasm for the upcoming season, but I cringe a little. I'm a little superstitious, so I might've rather seen this after spring ball....just so you don't jinx us into a devastating spring injury. Maybe sacrifice your c34 username to the dead indians just to help the cause...

BuckyIsAB****
02-08-2018, 06:23 PM
My biggest concern is Shoop. We check every other box.

Im just not convinced he can do it, Im 50/50 at best on him

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 07:26 PM

I'm hearing it already has for next years class.

Liverpooldawg
02-08-2018, 07:32 PM
There are a lot of unknowns at this point with a new coaching staff and a nearly new receiving corps. That being said it wouldn't be nearly as big of a surprise as it would be most years. We do have a lot of the pieces. I think the coaching staff will turn out to be an improvement once they gel. A lot depends on the receivers and if The QB can accurately throw the downfield ball. Cheers on the post 34! I certainly hope you have it right! You just might.

shannondawg
02-08-2018, 07:50 PM
I hope you right 34, if not you know its going to be Rosebowl or Sugarbowl says from now on.

dawgoneyall
02-08-2018, 11:11 PM
Yeah. Well, if I'm Cohen I'm sending him video from last year's Egg Bowl and telling Sankey you better send some of your strictest officials so this shit doesn't happen again.

I bet things get called a lot tighter next year.

I sincerely hope that has already been done.

Love Cohen as AD but if he hasn't addressed the dirty play by those bastards with the SEC then he needs to go.

TUSK
02-08-2018, 11:30 PM
873rd..........1941 is mine

Fair enough.... then give me '66 and we'll keep it at 874....

Quaoarsking
02-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Screw the Sugar Bowl. If we win the SEC, we're playoff bound.

Ari Gold
02-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Not that it’s Debbie’s downer by any means
But I think the semi final games next year are at Dallas and Miami
And The championship game is in San Fran..

CadaverDawg
02-08-2018, 11:45 PM
Our kicking game should be in good shape too. Just gotta find a punter, which is supposed to be Day’s forte. First time in my lifetime that we return all key players on offense, defense, & the FG kicking game from a good team. I’m not ready to claim Sugar Bowl or anything....but the pieces are in place. All depends on the new staff and if they put these guys in position to succeed.

Quaoarsking
02-08-2018, 11:47 PM
In the Playoff Era, in the years when the Sugar Bowl isn't a playoff game (2015 and 2016 so far), the Sugar Bowl bid has gone to a 9-3 Ole Miss and an 8-4 Auburn team.

Commercecomet24
02-08-2018, 11:48 PM
Our kicking game should be in good shape too. Just gotta find a punter, which is supposed to be Day’s forte. First time in my lifetime that we return all key players on offense, defense, & the FG kicking game from a good team. I’m not ready to claim Sugar Bowl or anything....but the pieces are in place. All depends on the new staff and if they put these guys in position to succeed.

Where you been man? Good to see you posting!

Todd4State
02-09-2018, 12:15 AM
In the Playoff Era, in the years when the Sugar Bowl isn't a playoff game (2015 and 2016 so far), the Sugar Bowl bid has gone to a 9-3 Ole Miss and an 8-4 Auburn team.

Hopefully we will go next year if we don't make the playoffs. The Sugar Bowl would be a nice consolation prize to losing to Alabama.

TUSK
02-09-2018, 12:34 AM
Whoa, I must be drunk as a rat.... Is the suggestion that MSU wins the SEC and goes to the Sugar Bowl, which is a non-playoff game????

No.

Todd4State
02-09-2018, 12:38 AM
Whoa, I must be drunk as a rat.... Is the suggestion that MSU wins the SEC and goes to the Sugar Bowl, which is a non-playoff game????

No.

I was a little confused myself. Not sure if he was saying win the entire SEC and go to the Sugar Bowl or if he's saying we win the SEC regular season title and then lose the SEC Championship Game to Georgia or whoever and then go the Sugar Bowl.

Either way- I want to go to the Sugar Bowl OR the Playoffs.

I'm just not sold that we can beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

TUSK
02-09-2018, 12:44 AM
I was a little confused myself. Not sure if he was saying win the entire SEC and go to the Sugar Bowl or if he's saying we win the SEC regular season title and then lose the SEC Championship Game to Georgia or whoever and then go the Sugar Bowl.

Either way- I want to go to the Sugar Bowl OR the Playoffs.

I'm just not sold that we can beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

OK, now I know I'm dog shit hammered (if you missed it, Todd)....

#1 If MSU whacks Bammer (and has <2 losses), y'all are in the playoffs....
#2 Is the Sugar bowl hosting, this year????
#3 #1 is Mooooooooooooooooooot

c'mon, that was a lil bit funny, buddy....

Todd4State
02-09-2018, 01:36 AM
OK, now I know I'm dog shit hammered (if you missed it, Todd)....

#1 If MSU whacks Bammer (and has <2 losses), y'all are in the playoffs....
#2 Is the Sugar bowl hosting, this year????
#3 #1 is Mooooooooooooooooooot

c'mon, that was a lil bit funny, buddy....

I agree that IF we beat Alabama and have less than one loss we are in the playoffs. But I'm not sure that a one loss MSU team with a loss to Bama gets in. We might. It would have been the same scenario had we won the Egg Bowl in 2014. I think it would be similar to what happened to Alabama this year where they had one loss on the road and got in.

Sugar Bowl is not hosting this year.

TUSK
02-09-2018, 02:15 AM
I agree that IF we beat Alabama and have less than one loss we are in the playoffs. But I'm not sure that a one loss MSU team with a loss to Bama gets in. We might. It would have been the same scenario had we won the Egg Bowl in 2014. I think it would be similar to what happened to Alabama this year where they had one loss on the road and got in.

Sugar Bowl is not hosting this year.

copy that... If you cats win the SECCG and have 1 loss (at Bammer), you're a lock for the CFP...

edited (heavily)... i'm sloshed.... out!

BiscuitEater
02-09-2018, 05:27 AM

ANY Bama fan that claims '41 is a proven idiot.

msbulldog
02-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Shoop will be okay, he just needs to step back and don't get in the way.

Bubb Rubb
02-09-2018, 08:09 AM
Shoop will be okay, he just needs to step back and don't get in the way.

People dogging Shoop need to remember that this dude has something to prove and will be coaching his ass off. He was THE hottest name out there when he went to UT. He didn't suddenly forget how to coach.

When you couple that with the talent level...we are going to be good on that side of the ball no matter who is coaching....and it's a very good situation.

Coach34
02-09-2018, 08:42 AM
Hell, call me Playoff34 then. I obviously looked at the wrong sites for this Jan

FISHDAWG
02-09-2018, 08:54 AM

this is the fly in the ointment ... seems I heard he preferred the 4-3 - not necessarily saying that's a bad thing but I think Shoop is the variable in this equation and at this point you just can't solve for X .... C34's optimism is encouraging tho and while I'm no where near that wooly I will concede that it's not outside the realm of possibility

Tbonewannabe
02-09-2018, 10:46 AM
I'm thinking the biggest differences will be terminology and route concepts. I'm also thinking from watching video of Joe's offenses that our run game, blocking schemes will be very familiar for our players. I'm sure you know this stuff way better than me, Coach.

I think the biggest difference will be the WR coach will be greatly improved along with the talent. Did anyone think Gonzo should even have been retained with the lack of development from the players? Then JoeMo went and got a NFL WR coach so you know he knows what he is doing. One thing will be a fact, our WRs that get drafted will know what to expect in the NFL. It won't be 3 years for our future 1st round WR to catch a pass in the NFL.

Commercecomet24
02-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Hell, call me Playoff34 then. I obviously looked at the wrong sites for this Jan

Playoff34 sounds better anyway.

LC Dawg
02-09-2018, 11:29 AM
ANY Bama fan is a proven idiot.

FIFY

dawgday166
02-09-2018, 01:06 PM

So now we call you PO34?? Playoff34 or PissedOff 34? *****

Just messing with you dude.

Dawg61
02-09-2018, 01:26 PM

Agree with this. I am worried about Shoop too. Our DL is nasty though so maybe it won't matter.

TrapGame
02-09-2018, 01:59 PM

I think you guys are a little hard on Shoop and it's probably got a little Sirmon in it too. I've heard his defense at Tenn was struggling b/c of injuries to key starters and the fact that Butch is a bat shit crazy asshole that likes to micromanage on the atomic level.

Although Todd G. had a really good defense last year there were several games it got exposed (OM) or downright ass raped (UGA/AU).

MSUDAWGFAN
02-09-2018, 03:23 PM

2. Playmaker at QB

3. Quality Skill Players

We have discussed the playmaker at QB and the quality OL- but what about the rest of the offense? The RB's are very good. Aeris Williams has proven that he is a quality SEC RB. Mr. Steady. He is not great at anything but is good at everything. Kylin Hill? NFL talent that has big play potential each time he touches the ball. With a Spring under his belt- he should be vastly improved on the little things RB's have to do. Nick Gibson is a solid #3.

5. Schedule

6. Coaching

Here is where things are less cut and dried but we do have a few clues.

SugarBowl34
HailState

I agree with most everything you said here. There's only one variable keeping me from going ALL IN on that. That's the referees. You know that in a close game at Alabama, if Alabama needs a call to get a win, the refs will give them any call they need in order to give them a win. At Auburn this past year comes to mind. I think it might have been even worse than BYU in 2001. Talent-wise - yes we are there. We check all of the boxes.

I eat lunch with someone close to the team and I told them at the beginning of the 2017 year that we were going to be a NY 6 team - at a minimum - in 2018. That person almost seemed to get offended and said we could be a NY6 team this past year.

One thing you have to look at is the level of the competition. Let's look at them:

Auburn - they lose 4 starting OL plus 2 RB, plus some key defenders. Yes, they return Stidham, but it won't look good for him when he is running for his life from Simmons, Sweat, Rivers, Lewis, Gay, Thompson, and Green.

Florida - Don will get them better. As much as I want to pee on him right now, I will admit he will get them competitive. He is a great QB coach and will win games. But, overall they are much less talented than what we have. It will take time. Like I have said about Howland and basketball, results will come. We jsut have to be patient. Florida will get results. The question for Don will be will they be patient enough. There's a chance they might not be.

Arkansas and A&M - A&M made a good hire, but I think it's not as great as they think it is. Plus, Fisher is taking over a team that we completely thumped. Arkansas didn't play the bidding game to go get a great coach, and it will show. Plus, we have them at home. We should win both of these games.

LSU - the talent level is going down there. Guice is gone. They don't have a QB. They have Eddie O as their coach. We make a statement to the critics who named LSU preseason top 15 (or maybe top 10) and leave us out of the top 25.

KSU - I don't expect this one to be a cakewalk, but we have more talent than they do. If we can squeak by here, we will be undefeated going to Tuscaloosa.

Mississippi - They have some talented players they bought. Some of those are gone, and the number of players they bought is going down. The ones that remain won't be able to do it themselves.

UK - we won't lose to UK. This isn't basketball, and they will just be outmatched.

Alabama - as Playoff34 has said - this one is for the SEC. What was impressive to me this past year was that we were able to run right at them. We didn't have to use any trick plays or anything and just lined up right at them. We return most every one of those players, and Bama loses a good bit. Yeah, I know they reload on players, but they didn't have 2 first team All SEC defensive linemen. We do. This game could very well come down to one or two plays. I like that we have a good FG kicker in Christman. It could come down to that. If we win, we will likely face UGA in the SECCG. The advantage we would have in this would be that we don't have Grantham. I am a fan of what Grantham did for us, but he has coached there and they know what he does. That's why they were able to pull off an 80 yard flea flicker on the first play. They won't be able to do that again, if it comes to it.

If we are 12-0 in the regular season and lose to UGA in the SECCG, we are in the playoff. If we lose to Bama and are 11-1 we may get left out. It will depend on what the rest of the teams look like. There's still a good chance we could make it in though. Either way, I'm saving my money for a big trip next January.

CadaverDawg
02-09-2018, 08:51 PM
Where you been man? Good to see you posting!

I?ve been around, just not posting a ton. Work has been busy. Thanks for the kind words. You guys are keeping me entertained!

Commercecomet24
02-09-2018, 08:59 PM
I?ve been around, just not posting a ton. Work has been busy. Thanks for the kind words. You guys are keeping me entertained!

Glad you doing alright. It?s definitely been entertaining. Drop a post on us every now and then.

TUSK
02-09-2018, 09:37 PM

I think you suck for not making more time for us......*

http://meganandtimmy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/pouty-baby-image-280x280.jpg

CadaverDawg
02-09-2018, 11:20 PM
I think you suck for not making more time for us......*

http://meganandtimmy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/pouty-baby-image-280x280.jpg

https://media1.tenor.com/images/cab5c95bdc6c63f341d1ec769d1ad1d4/tenor.gif?itemid=5434425

Todd4State
02-10-2018, 01:56 AM
I agree with most everything you said here. There's only one variable keeping me from going ALL IN on that. That's the referees. You know that in a close game at Alabama, if Alabama needs a call to get a win, the refs will give them any call they need in order to give them a win. At Auburn this past year comes to mind. I think it might have been even worse than BYU in 2001. Talent-wise - yes we are there. We check all of the boxes.

I eat lunch with someone close to the team and I told them at the beginning of the 2017 year that we were going to be a NY 6 team - at a minimum - in 2018. That person almost seemed to get offended and said we could be a NY6 team this past year.

One thing you have to look at is the level of the competition. Let's look at them:

Auburn - they lose 4 starting OL plus 2 RB, plus some key defenders. Yes, they return Stidham, but it won't look good for him when he is running for his life from Simmons, Sweat, Rivers, Lewis, Gay, Thompson, and Green.

Florida - Don will get them better. As much as I want to pee on him right now, I will admit he will get them competitive. He is a great QB coach and will win games. But, overall they are much less talented than what we have. It will take time. Like I have said about Howland and basketball, results will come. We jsut have to be patient. Florida will get results. The question for Don will be will they be patient enough. There's a chance they might not be.

Arkansas and A&M - A&M made a good hire, but I think it's not as great as they think it is. Plus, Fisher is taking over a team that we completely thumped. Arkansas didn't play the bidding game to go get a great coach, and it will show. Plus, we have them at home. We should win both of these games.

LSU - the talent level is going down there. Guice is gone. They don't have a QB. They have Eddie O as their coach. We make a statement to the critics who named LSU preseason top 15 (or maybe top 10) and leave us out of the top 25.

KSU - I don't expect this one to be a cakewalk, but we have more talent than they do. If we can squeak by here, we will be undefeated going to Tuscaloosa.

Mississippi - They have some talented players they bought. Some of those are gone, and the number of players they bought is going down. The ones that remain won't be able to do it themselves.

UK - we won't lose to UK. This isn't basketball, and they will just be outmatched.

Alabama - as Playoff34 has said - this one is for the SEC. What was impressive to me this past year was that we were able to run right at them. We didn't have to use any trick plays or anything and just lined up right at them. We return most every one of those players, and Bama loses a good bit. Yeah, I know they reload on players, but they didn't have 2 first team All SEC defensive linemen. We do. This game could very well come down to one or two plays. I like that we have a good FG kicker in Christman. It could come down to that. If we win, we will likely face UGA in the SECCG. The advantage we would have in this would be that we don't have Grantham. I am a fan of what Grantham did for us, but he has coached there and they know what he does. That's why they were able to pull off an 80 yard flea flicker on the first play. They won't be able to do that again, if it comes to it.

If we are 12-0 in the regular season and lose to UGA in the SECCG, we are in the playoff. If we lose to Bama and are 11-1 we may get left out. It will depend on what the rest of the teams look like. There's still a good chance we could make it in though. Either way, I'm saving my money for a big trip next January.

I agree with everything you said. I would add that Ole Miss is going to miss Wilkins a lot. I think he actually was more of the reason why they "got better" than Ta'Amuu because it made them less one dimensional to make Shea's Dad happy. If they don't find a running back, they're screwed.

Also, Joe is going to I hope play the best players or at least find ways to let the younger ones contribute more than they were allowed to under Dan. Thinking about Kylin Hill specifically here. Also there would be very little guarantee that guys like Heath and Whop would possibly start because Jesse Jackson and Jamal Couch "know the system better". Those two may or may not contribute a ton but at least I feel like they will be given a more fair chance to do so under Joe.

I'm not worried about Shoop one bit. I think he will run a 4-3 against teams that are more pro style like LSU and maybe Alabama and then we'll see more of a 4-2-5 look against spread teams.