PDA

View Full Version : Who Was The Biggest Recruiting Miss This Year?

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Who is the one player that you think MSU could/should have gotten that we didn't?

I don't know if he'll end up being a good player, but for me it's no doubt Cole Smith or Jerome Carvin.

Eddie Smith would be another, but I'm not sure how much you can consider him since, once Bama offered, it was over.

vv83
02-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Carvin without a doubt. We were the favorite for the majority of the time only to lose out in the end. Cole we were never in it, and Smith was always holding out for that Bama offer

HoopsDawg
02-07-2018, 03:33 PM
agree with your names, it clearly starts with the O-line: Cole Smith, Carvin, Bleich, Winkel, McDowell, and Robinson were all thought to be Bulldogs at one point. Then we may regret not taking Hamilton Hall.

Eddie Smith would have been a huge pickup for us and we lost Bishop to Arky. That's pretty much it.

vv83
02-07-2018, 03:38 PM
Really looking back on it I think Sampson was the biggest miss (his fault not our owns). If whatever his issues were, he got together and we could have signed an AA OL to go with $Bill that would have been huge. Then again we probably would have never been in on him if he didn't have whatever his issues were

yjnkdawg
02-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Really looking back on it I think Sampson was the biggest miss (his fault not our owns). If whatever his issues were, he got together and we could have signed an AA OL to go with $Bill that would have been huge. Then again we probably would have never been in on him if he didn't have whatever his issues were

He would have probably signed with OM, if they hadn't parted ways with him. That really shocked me when OM dropped a 4* AA OL.

Coach34
02-07-2018, 06:06 PM
Insert decently-rated OL prospect here ________________

Ari Gold
02-07-2018, 06:14 PM
I made a list few weeks ago .
Here it is again in order
1. Carvin
2. Eddie Smith
3. Ladarrious Bishop
4. Chris Bleich

IMissJack
02-07-2018, 06:27 PM
Other than the Hev factor in the past, why does MSU have problems getting OL to stay committed? I get losing a few, everyone does, but it is almost the expectation now.

MetEdDawg
02-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Other than the Hev factor in the past, why does MSU have problems getting OL to stay committed? I get losing a few, everyone does, but it is almost the expectation now.

Because Hevesy was here 9 years. That level of suck in recruiting weighs heavily on a program. You can usually get a good OL but you can’t typically get 3-4 really good ones in the same class.

Todd4State
02-07-2018, 06:30 PM

I think most of it had to do with Hevesy even this year. All the ones we missed on were out of state guys.

I think it will improve starting next year.

IMissJack
02-07-2018, 06:37 PM
I think most of it had to do with Hevesy even this year. All the ones we missed on were out of state guys.

I think it will improve starting next year.

But 3-4 of these guys were on the fence after Hev left, one even went to FL with Hev. If they liked State and it was Hev, IMO we should have gotten at least one more of them. Something is broken here.

Spiderman
02-07-2018, 06:42 PM
Who is the one player that you think MSU could/should have gotten that we didn't?

I don't know if he'll end up being a good player, but for me it's no doubt Cole Smith or Jerome Carvin.

Eddie Smith would be another, but I'm not sure how much you can consider him since, once Bama offered, it was over.

Carvin, Winkle, McDowell with Carvin potentially being the biggest miss

yjnkdawg
02-07-2018, 10:50 PM
But 3-4 of these guys were on the fence after Hev left, one even went to FL with Hev. If they liked State and it was Hev, IMO we should have gotten at least one more of them. Something is broken here.

Because they are out-of-state kids who did not grow up surrounded with a maroon and white peer group or families cheering for MSU. They were recruited initially by Mullen. So they didn't actually commit to the school. Therefore when Mullen left they started looking around. Coach JoeMo and Coach Johnson and other coaches had very little time to develop a relationship with them. Most kids now who don't grow up cheering for a school, or have some connections or ties normally choose a school because of the coaching relationship, player/recruit relationship, or some other relationship.

maroonmania
02-07-2018, 11:05 PM
For me it has to be Cole Smith. I mean come on, a legacy kid right down the road at our biggest position of need, that being interior OL, and we whiff? Still don't truly understand all the factors there other than the dislikability of Hev, but all the other OL we whiffed on were out of state kids with no reason to have any loyalty to MSU. Second to Smith for me was Bishop just because of our need at CB and he was probably the best one we had committed this year. I really wonder if we would have kept Bishop if we had retained TBuck from the very start. Bishop said from early on that TBuck was a major reason he committed to us. By the time TBuck was picked back up to remain on staff, Bishop had long since flipped and signed with Ark.

Ari Gold
02-07-2018, 11:35 PM
For me it has to be Cole Smith. I mean come on, a legacy kid right down the road at our biggest position of need, that being interior OL, and we whiff? Still don't truly understand all the factors there other than the dislikability of Hev, but all the other OL we whiffed on were out of state kids with no reason to have any loyalty to MSU. Second to Smith for me was Bishop just because of our need at CB and he was probably the best one we had committed this year. I really wonder if we would have kept Bishop if we had retained TBuck from the very start. Bishop said from early on that TBuck was a major reason he committed to us. By the time TBuck was picked back up to remain on staff, Bishop had long since flipped and signed with Ark.

Cole Smith is a good player and would have been a good pick up but he also the most over rated player by Espn from the state of Mississippi