PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Smith...when are these kids going to get it?

msudawglb
02-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Bama signed the #1, #13, and #14 High School CB's and the #1 JUCO CB in their class. Eddie is the #42 CB that also signed with Bama. He could have come to MSU and competed immediately for playing time.

Saban did exactly what he wanted with this one. He kept MSU from getting stronger by taking Smith. I bet he won't be on Bama's roster in a couple years.

MetEdDawg
02-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Bama signed the #1, #13, and #14 High School CB's and the #1 JUCO CB in their class. Eddie is the #42 CB that also signed with Bama. He could have come to MSU and competed immediately for playing time.

Saban did exactly what he wanted with this one. He kept MSU from getting stronger by taking Smith. I bet he won't be on Bama's roster in a couple years.

It's a name brand. He will RS this year and be ready to play in 3-4 years when those guys ranked ahead of him leave as juniors. So he will sit 3 years to play 1 or 2. But it will be at Bama.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 03:00 PM
Eddie's cousin is also the Bama WR that caught the game winning TD in the NC game.

So in many ways, I think it's a pride issue.

It is frustrating though

Jarius
02-07-2018, 03:06 PM
It wasn't done to keep him from MSU. Saban just loads up on as much talent as he can and processes the ones that don't pan out. Kids that sign with Alabama when there are multiple 5 star athletes at their position are basically idiots. Scott Lashley is a prime example of extremely stupid decision making by him and his family. There are hundreds of others just like him and not only at Alabama. It's one thing to come in and sit for 2 years and play 3 as a RS soph. To come in and compete against 2 and 3 5 star prospects at your position that isn't even up for grabs because there's a returning starter there is just ignorant.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-07-2018, 03:07 PM
I won't be surprised if Eddie plays at Bama as a RS Freshman.

Ari Gold
02-07-2018, 03:08 PM
Who’s to say Eddie won’t play there in 2-3 years or sooner?
They had a starting CB this year that was a walk-on
Eddie Smith is very talented.
That would have been a HUGE get for us.

HoopsDawg
02-07-2018, 03:09 PM
Saban clearly didn't have him rated as the #42 CB. He did his own evaluation and found him worthy of an offer and it didn't have anything to do with MSU. I obviously hate it b/c we have struck out at corner with this class and I really like Eddie Smith. He is a player.

Coach34
02-07-2018, 03:10 PM
Eddie is a really good HS player- but he doesnt see himself as the #42 rated CB in the country. He thinks he is a top 5 in the country guy that will play at Bama and then in 3 years declare for the draft. These kids rarely have self-awareness. Plus- they dont really care about college- they are all about making it to the NFL. Bama is a leader in producing NFL players.

I had a kid at LC that was just an honorable mention all-conference player ask me if I had contacted A&M and LSU for him. East Central CC is not even looking to sign this kid- and he thinks A&M and LSU would want him. Dead serious.

Ari Gold
02-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Also Eddie going there and Bama siging a handful of Cbs will help us Brandon Turnage next year.
I bet he ends up a Dawg.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Also Eddie going there and Bama siging a handful of Cbs will help us Brandon Turnage next year.
I bet he ends up a Dawg.

Very true. I'd gladly make that trade if it comes to be

yjnkdawg
02-07-2018, 03:14 PM

It's Alabama. He wanted a scholarship from Bama. If Bama hadn't offered then we should have gotten him. Saban had said they were going to take a number of CBs. He was the next available on their list. This wasn't a screw MSU plot. It was based upon what Saban thought Bama's needs were.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 03:14 PM
Eddie is a really good HS player- but he doesnt see himself as the #42 rated CB in the country. He thinks he is a top 5 in the country guy that will play at Bama and then in 3 years declare for the draft. These kids rarely have self-awareness. Plus- they dont really care about college- they are all about making it to the NFL. Bama is a leader in producing NFL players.

I had a kid at LC that was just an honorable mention all-conference player ask me if I had contacted A&M and LSU for him. East Central CC is not even looking to sign this kid- and he thinks A&M and LSU would want him. Dead serious.

Kind of off topic, but I'm curious why you player asked about A&M over MSU or OM?

What is the draw to A&M? Are they considered a sexy school by Mississippi high school kids? If so, why?

HoopsDawg
02-07-2018, 03:15 PM
I bet he ends up a Dawg.

Zero effect on Turnage. See C34's post.

Commercecomet24
02-07-2018, 03:15 PM

So you're saying some of them are legends in their own minds?******

vv83
02-07-2018, 03:21 PM
I get that from an MSU perspective, but I'll never fault a kid for having the mindset that he can go in to the top program in the country, beat other top prospects, and be a top player, IF he has the proper work ethic. Now if you just think you're some super star and don't have to earn it then yeah I'm with you. No idea how Eddie felt

Ari Gold
02-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Zero effect on Turnage. See C34's post.

We were going to be in it for Turnage regardless next year , but with this many CB signed by Bama this year and Turnage being a Ms guy this won’t hurt at all . 2 of those CB ( P Surtain Jr for sure ) will play as true fresh maybe 3

Johnson85
02-07-2018, 04:01 PM
It's a name brand. He will RS this year and be ready to play in 3-4 years when those guys ranked ahead of him leave as juniors. So he will sit 3 years to play 1 or 2. But it will be at Bama.

Maybe I just notice the superstars, but it seems like a lot of Bama players, particularly on defense, either get on the field early or get surpassed by new signees. So if a player isn't good enough to play as a second or third year player, it seems just as likely that they get processed or ride the pine behind a younger player than it does that they get starter's minutes as a RS Jr and RS Sr.

Homedawg
02-07-2018, 04:02 PM

They all think they can play. Most of them anyway, but all of the good ones. I don't blame the guy. Go compete. If he had come here because he was too chicken shit to compete at bama well, I didn't want him anyway

Coach34
02-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Kind of off topic, but I'm curious why you player asked about A&M over MSU or OM?

What is the draw to A&M? Are they considered a sexy school by Mississippi high school kids? If so, why?

small town kids dreaming of the bigtime and wanting out of Miss

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-07-2018, 05:51 PM
Saban did exactly what he wanted with this one. He kept MSU from getting stronger by taking Smith.

Bear Bryant did the same thing but worse when there was no scholly limitations

TUSK
02-07-2018, 06:23 PM

This is true... Not so much, today, however... MDL isn't gonna "waste" a skolly when the numbers are so limited...

IMissJack
02-07-2018, 06:31 PM

Darryl Royal did it better than anyone when he was at TX. It kept A&M terrible forever.

Spiderman
02-07-2018, 06:41 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say signing a player just to keep him from State is about number 598 on Saban's Shit to do List

DudyDawg
02-07-2018, 06:49 PM
It?s almost like for some kids, the choice of where they spend the biggest 4 years of their life doesn?t come down to recruiting rankings. Weird.......

TUSK
02-07-2018, 07:38 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say signing a player just to keep him from State is about number 598,735,312 on Saban's Shit to do List

FIFY

msbulldog
02-07-2018, 07:51 PM
I won't be surprised if Eddie plays at Bama as a RS Freshman.

IYOK, I have tremendous respect for your opinion. Eddie may play a wrap up role.

TUSK
02-07-2018, 07:57 PM
IYOK, I have tremendous respect for your opinion. Eddie may play a wrap up role.

Who do you have on your 2 deep, dime package for UA's secondary?

Token Bammer
02-07-2018, 10:44 PM
Who do you have on your 2 deep, dime package for UA's secondary?

Lol.

I'm counting 9 or 10 at CB depending on where Mayden plays and I'm assuming safety. We signed 5 of those 9 today. We are going to be really young on the backend.