PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Recruiting Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Doggie_Style
07-31-2018, 09:25 PM
Yeah, people don't normally accept what they don't want to hear.

MSU people are typically shitty sales people. It's a hindrance we must solve.

That or they don't realize recruiting is sales. MSU people believe recruiting is about logic or some other BS.

Recruits believe what you tell them too.

Plus 10000+....this is exactly it! I?m actually shocked that our staff is doing such an average job at it. The low key ?Top Dawg? weekend was a joke...you have to paint a picture for this kids where you are the wizard that is going to make their bag...ugh...dreams come true! Of course performance on the field is essential but it takes both to be Championship material.

BuckyIsAB****
07-31-2018, 10:01 PM
Sources...

Get back with me when signing day comes. Its ok. I never said I knew where he was going. He hasnt made a spectacle about his recruitment and he isnt going to.

Moorhead has us in the game with him, and others. Mullen wouldnt. Thats an upgrade

BuckyIsAB****
07-31-2018, 10:06 PM
Their fans and staff sell Ole Miss with infinitely more belief and passion than us.

MSU fans are the equivalent of a car salesman that really likes their car but will tell you that others are better. Gotta be realistic right?

Until that infections is cured in our fanbase, we'll never recruit at a high level.

This staff is awesome but they can only take a fanbase so far when they don't promote or believe in the place.

The mindset of our fan base sucks and things won't change until that does

You guys expect the staff to do everything while OM fans are selling Oxford, the girls, etc like it's the greatest thing on Earth.

State is not the flashy school and we are never going to be. Its not who we are. But you cant argue with the fact that since we hired Sherril we have beat them more than they have beat us. At worst we made up the ground from when the entire athletic dept. thought we couldnt compete so we said the hell with it.

I will agree with you OM people are more obnoxious though

Turfdawg67
07-31-2018, 10:11 PM
Get back with me when signing day comes. Its ok. I never said I knew where he was going. He hasnt made a spectacle about his recruitment and he isnt going to.

Moorhead has us in the game with him, and others. Mullen wouldnt. Thats an upgrade

I'll agree with the last part. Or in the words of Preacher... ^^^This!

Bdawg
07-31-2018, 11:13 PM
Their fans and staff sell Ole Miss with infinitely more belief and passion than us.

MSU fans are the equivalent of a car salesman that really likes their car but will tell you that others are better. Gotta be realistic right?

Until that infections is cured in our fanbase, we'll never recruit at a high level.

This staff is awesome but they can only take a fanbase so far when they don't promote or believe in the place.

The mindset of our fan base sucks and things won't change until that does

You guys expect the staff to do everything while OM fans are selling Oxford, the girls, etc like it's the greatest thing on Earth.

Where in the hell do fans have to sell themselves to recruits to make them believe that we believe in the program. And yes, I do expect the staff to do everything recruiting-wise because it would be a violation of any of us interjected ourselves in the recruiting process. What the hell else to do you expect us to do beside show up on game day and show our support. That's what recruits should only see from our fans. Hell I guess you expect us fans to show up on recruiting weekends and meet up with players at the bars and blow smoke up their ass about how great MSU is. I have plenty of passion for this school but I have family to take care way before I go act like a douche OM fan and go and try to meet recruits and jerk them off to get them to come to my school. We have a coaching staff that gets paid damn good to recruit, not me. Your post was about the dumbest damn thing I've read in a while.

ShotgunDawg
07-31-2018, 11:21 PM
State is not the flashy school and we are never going to be. Its not who we are. But you cant argue with the fact that since we hired Sherril we have beat them more than they have beat us. At worst we made up the ground from when the entire athletic dept. thought we couldnt compete so we said the hell with it.

I will agree with you OM people are more obnoxious though

Clemson has become flashy, Auburn flashy, A&M flashy. They are made up of the exact same people as us.

Why do you put limits on what we can be?

Let me guess....."because you are being realistic"

Bdawg
07-31-2018, 11:24 PM
Yeah, people don't normally accept what they don't want to hear.

MSU people are typically shitty sales people. It's a hindrance we must solve.

That or they don't realize recruiting is sales. MSU people believe recruiting is about logic or some other BS.

Recruits believe what you tell them too.

Once again shotgun, dumb as hell. Our staff better be selling the crap out MSU and the vision they have for it. Only thing we can do legally is fill the stadium and show support. Now supporting illegally is another matter.

ShotgunDawg
07-31-2018, 11:25 PM
Where in the hell do fans have to sell themselves to recruits to make them believe that we believe in the program. And yes, I do expect the staff to do everything recruiting-wise because it would be a violation of any of us interjected ourselves in the recruiting process. What the hell else to do you expect us to do beside show up on game day and show our support. That's what recruits should only see from our fans. Hell I guess you expect us fans to show up on recruiting weekends and meet up with players at the bars and blow smoke up their ass about how great MSU is. I have plenty of passion for this school but I have family to take care way before I go act like a douche OM fan and go and try to meet recruits and jerk them off to get them to come to my school. We have a coaching staff that gets paid damn good to recruit, not me. Your post was about the dumbest damn thing I've read in a while.

You clearly have no comprehension of what I meant.

RezDog7
07-31-2018, 11:25 PM
Clemson has become flashy, Auburn flashy, A&M flashy. They are made up of the exact same people as us.

Maybe we should start a top secret Twitter chat for croots and boosters***

ShotgunDawg
07-31-2018, 11:26 PM
Once again shotgun, dumb as hell. Our staff better be selling the crap out MSU and the vision they have for it. Only thing we can do legally is fill the stadium and show support. Now supporting illegally is another matter.

Tu no comprende

ShotgunDawg
07-31-2018, 11:26 PM
Maybe we should start a top secret Twitter chat for croots and boosters***

Do the schools I mentioned above do that?

Bdawg
07-31-2018, 11:34 PM
You clearly have no comprehension of what I meant.

You obviously didn't state it very well. You pretty much said the mindset of our fan base sucked compared to OM and recruiting won't change until it does. Well I'm saying our mindset shouldn't affect recruiting one bit unless nobody shows on game day. That's the only place I can think of where recruits should see how much fans care(legally of course).

Bdawg
07-31-2018, 11:35 PM
Tu no comprende

Explain away again please!!

Cooterpoot
08-01-2018, 12:04 AM

It’s not the staff. It’s the admin.

BuckyIsAB****
08-01-2018, 12:11 AM

No. Im not saying we cant be any of them. Im saying we will never be OM. OM sells a different product than we do.

Idk how much time you have spent in Oxford but all it takes is one night and you will see the difference in it and Starkville. Not saying they are better. That just appeals to some kids just like we appeal to some kids

BuckyIsAB****
08-01-2018, 12:12 AM
Auburn and Clemson both arent going to appeal to some kids. They are a lot like us. A&M is trying to be something they arent. You've seen how that is going

Bdawg
08-01-2018, 06:28 AM
It’s not the staff. It’s the admin.

OK but admin. was never mentioned in previous posts.

ShotgunDawg
08-01-2018, 07:33 AM
The top 3 offensive players in the state of Mississippi are currently committed to Ole Miss.

If we concede the WRs because of Ole Miss' offense, then we should get Ealy right?

Why is Ealy committed to an offense that can't run the ball?

The fact of the matter is that Moorhead just took some chin kicks and got a big fat welcome to the SEC.

It happens to every new SEC coach. We'll see if he can get up and fix this.

At current status, our recruiting class is unacceptable considering the in-state talent available. Long time till signing day though and we've got a bunch of wins ahead of us.

Cooterpoot
08-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Our class isn't unacceptable. That's ridiculous. If you want to say the offensive portion of the class, then fine. But we've got a load of defensive talent coming in.
Ealy feels like a flip. I have no idea what he's going to do, but it feels like he's moving in our direction.

Doggie_Style
08-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Our class isn't unacceptable. That's ridiculous. If you want to say the offensive portion of the class, then fine. But we've got a load of defensive talent coming in.
Ealy feels like a flip. I have no idea what he's going to do, but it feels like he's moving in our direction.

There is at least a 75% chance Ealy never plays college sports, not someone you want to rely on fill our hole at RB. Of course he's worth the risk but still...we have a huge problem at RB and LB and WR has been a huge disappointment. We have no momentum and that worries me with other teams salivating over our DL commits. Our staff needs to get after it.

ShotgunDawg
08-01-2018, 08:47 AM

Our class isn't currently acceptable with the amount of in-state talent.

Irondawg
08-01-2018, 08:53 AM
As said numerous times Ealy and Black matter only in perception as there is only a very small chance either plays for a D1 program this year.

The only place we are hurting right now is OL and WR and LB. OL is a part result of not having many in state prospects and the surrounding states are really deep either. Cross is a loss but we did well with others.

For WR if I’m Joe I try to throw for 400 yards on SFA just to prove a point. But some feel Jones is a better WR so we could always move him there

LB will be fine I think.

msstate7
08-01-2018, 08:58 AM
I don't think this class is unacceptable right now. Now we have to finish strong, which is pretty up in the air at the moment

Doggie_Style
08-01-2018, 09:00 AM
As said numerous times Ealy and Black matter only in perception as there is only a very small chance either plays for a D1 program this year.

The only place we are hurting right now is OL and WR and LB. OL is a part result of not having many in state prospects and the surrounding states are really deep either. Cross is a loss but we did well with others.

For WR if I’m Joe I try to throw for 400 yards on SFA just to prove a point. But some feel Jones is a better WR so we could always move him there

LB will be fine I think.

Our biggest unmet need in this class is at LB and RB. We will only have 2 scholarship RB's for 2019......we have to sign one or two.

Ari Gold
08-01-2018, 09:18 AM
Wow... some of you people need a Xanax and some scotch .
I think I will let IYOK take over for a month or so because this is basically unreadable now

This is a meltdown over what ?
1. A 5star big time RB that 99% of you had no idea we even had a shot at 4 months ago. And it’s not over with him. Yes I thought we would have him in the boat by now , but shit happens in recruiting
2. A WR ( Jackson ) that we had 0 chance of getting up until a few months ago . He commited and flipped . Who was shocked when this happens ?
3. Another WR that up until CJM got here he had 0 interest in us, and was 50/50 at best we landed him.

And it’s just ****ing August. Who knows what May happen between now and Dec/ Feb with these guys

Also on the Umiss recruiting meltdown. They have 27 committed with 11 being on defense and that’s counting Black who odds are won’t qualify and prob flip to UF . So out of those 10 now commited who on there would trade position for position for from our class? I can answer that ****ing none..!!

Y’all act like signing day is tomorrow and we have no back up plans. This staff will work , they know how important it is and the head guy knows it and knows how to recruit.

So agin ****ing kick back and enjoy the season .
I will catch y’all in a few months. I can only imagine how shitty this thread will be over the next few weeks . If anything of great importance comes my way I will pass along on here
Best of luck IYOK you are going to need it.

ShotgunDawg
08-01-2018, 09:41 AM
So Black will be another instate guy signing out of state?

Cooterpoot
08-01-2018, 09:45 AM

I'll go on record and say he never plays major college football IMO.

Cooterpoot
08-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Our class isn't currently acceptable with the amount of in-state talent.

You've lost touch with reality. There's no helping you at this point. Take a break. Good news will eventually come.

StateDawg44
08-01-2018, 09:47 AM

The worst. That's all you take away from that post?

RezDog7
08-01-2018, 10:06 AM
Some fans take this recruiting thing way too serious. We all want state to sign the best players possible, but that's not going to happen. Hell, I'm having trouble recruiting my own kid to state because she has some OM friends in her ear.

ShotgunDawg
08-01-2018, 10:26 AM
Some fans take this recruiting thing way too serious. We all want state to sign the best players possible, but that's not going to happen. Hell, I'm having trouble recruiting my own kid to state because she has some OM friends in her ear.

Big time college football programs are serious about recruiting.

Caring less and taking a step back doesn't help the situation in any way.

You are free to be as serious as you choose as are others.

Nobody makes you read this thread.

1bigdawg
08-01-2018, 10:27 AM

We get the point. You think our recruiting is bad. You have a high post count, but is it because you say the same thing over and over?

Commercecomet24
08-01-2018, 10:29 AM
I think I will let IYOK take over for a month or so because this is basically unreadable now

1. A 5star big time RB that 99% of you had no idea we even had a shot at 4 months ago. And it’s not over with him. Yes I thought we would have him in the boat by now , but shit happens in recruiting
2. A WR ( Jackson ) that we had 0 chance of getting up until a few months ago . He commited and flipped . Who was shocked when this happens ?
3. Another WR that up until CJM got here we had 0 interest in us, and was 50/50 at best we landed him.

And it’s just ****ing August. Who knows what May happen between now and Dec/ Feb with these guys

Also on the Umiss recruiting meltdown. They have 27 committed with 11 being on offense and that’s counting Black who odds are won’t qualify and prob flip to UF . So out of those 10 now commited who on there would trade position for position for from our class? I can answer that ****ing none..!!

Y’all act like signing day is tomorrow and we have no back up plans. This staff will work , they know how important it is and the head guy knows it and knows how to recruit.

I will catch y’all in a few months. I can only imagine how shitty this thread will be over the next few weeks . If anything of great importance comes my way I will pass along on here

Rep given!

Cary Hudson's little bro
08-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Is there any actual recruit news in the last 5-6 pages? This is unreadable.

msstate7
08-01-2018, 10:37 AM

Nothing good to report lately

BeardoMSU
08-01-2018, 10:42 AM

Its essentially the audible equivalent of slowly letting air out of a balloon. The bitching and moaning has reached turbo level.

TrapGame
08-01-2018, 10:46 AM

1. A 5star big time RB that 99% of you had no idea we even had a shot at 4 months ago. And it?s not over with him. Yes I thought we would have him in the boat by now , but shit happens in recruiting
3. Another WR that up until CJM got here we had 0 interest in us, and was 50/50 at best we landed him.

And it?s just ****ing August. Who knows what May happen between now and Dec/ Feb with these guys

Also on the Umiss recruiting meltdown. They have 27 committed with 11 being on offense and that?s counting Black who odds are won?t qualify and prob flip to UF . So out of those 10 now commited who on there would trade position for position for from our class? I can answer that ****ing none..!!

Y?all act like signing day is tomorrow and we have no back up plans. This staff will work , they know how important it is and the head guy knows it and knows how to recruit.

I will catch y?all in a few months. I can only imagine how shitty this thread will be over the next few weeks . If anything of great importance comes my way I will pass along on here

Well said.

shrimp
08-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Turbo is too slow. We're taking the bitching and moaning straight to Ludicrous Speed!

Its essentially the audible equivalent of slowly letting air out of a balloon. The bitching and moaning has reached turbo level.

Doggie_Style
08-01-2018, 12:11 PM

1. A 5star big time RB that 99% of you had no idea we even had a shot at 4 months ago. And it?s not over with him. Yes I thought we would have him in the boat by now , but shit happens in recruiting
3. Another WR that up until CJM got here he had 0 interest in us, and was 50/50 at best we landed him.

And it?s just ****ing August. Who knows what May happen between now and Dec/ Feb with these guys

Also on the Umiss recruiting meltdown. They have 27 committed with 11 being on defense and that?s counting Black who odds are won?t qualify and prob flip to UF . So out of those 10 now commited who on there would trade position for position for from our class? I can answer that ****ing none..!!

Y?all act like signing day is tomorrow and we have no back up plans. This staff will work , they know how important it is and the head guy knows it and knows how to recruit.

I will catch y?all in a few months. I can only imagine how shitty this thread will be over the next few weeks . If anything of great importance comes my way I will pass along on here

Wait Don't Gooooo......"Aint No Sunshine When Ari's Gone, Da da daaaaa da" LOL, think I'll pop another Xanex

preachermatt83
08-01-2018, 12:22 PM
I'll go on record and say he never plays major college football IMO.

You are going to 100 percent correct.

preachermatt83
08-01-2018, 12:24 PM

Also on the Umiss recruiting meltdown. They have 27 committed with 11 being on defense and that’s counting Black who odds are won’t qualify and prob flip to UF . So out of those 10 now commited who on there would trade position for position for from our class? I can answer that ****ing none..!!

Stick around ari.. as soon as the season starts and we start winning all the bad emotions from folks will ease up.

msbulldog
08-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Look don't you guys realize that our current commits read these boards, especially this one because it's free? Nathan Pickering even said that the MSU fans need to lighten up, I read on another board! All this bitching and moaning is doing nothing but hurting ourselves, it's not helping the staff do their jobs. Please tone this negativity down.

VandelayIndustries
08-01-2018, 12:33 PM
Look don't you guys realize that our current commits read these boards, especially this one because it's free? Nathan Pickering even said that the MSU fans need to lighten up, I read on another board! All this bitching and moaning is doing nothing but hurting ourselves, it's not helping the staff do their jobs. Please tone this negativity down.

All of this

Commercecomet24
08-01-2018, 01:02 PM
You would think after our most recent basketball season, baseball season and Ginn signing that folks would've learned to let things play out instead of panicking and maybe just maybe things will be alright in the end.

If the class bombs there'll be plenty of time to get the pitch forks and torches ready***

archdawg
08-01-2018, 01:07 PM

Especially the stuff directed at specific players. Whether what you say is 100% true or just a hunch, it doesn’t need to be said and only hurts us. Some of these guys may have second thoughts about the school they want to attend or may turn things around but they see State fans over here blasting them. It may not be a big factor but it still undercuts any work the coaching staff is doing.

hailmari
08-01-2018, 01:08 PM

It’s true. No matter how many want to live indenile that recruits can read stuff on the internet, it is true. Some will say “well they shouldn’t care about what I post.” Well, that’s true too, but let’s not be naive. We live in a world where all it takes is a couple of hard-headed morons to make an entire group look bad. But I understand thinking with logic is like a sin to some.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-01-2018, 03:33 PM

Also on the Umiss recruiting meltdown. They have 27 committed with 11 being on defense and that?s counting Black who odds are won?t qualify and prob flip to UF . So out of those 10 now commited who on there would trade position for position for from our class? I can answer that ****ing none..!!

^^ THIS....The melt going on is ridiculous.

msstate7
08-01-2018, 04:13 PM
It’s true. No matter how many want to live indenile that recruits can read stuff on the internet, it is true. Some will say “well they shouldn’t care about what I post.” Well, that’s true too, but let’s not be naive. We live in a world where all it takes is a couple of hard-headed morons to make an entire group look bad. But I understand thinking with logic is like a sin to some.

I won't disagree with the premise, but I think this lecture would be better saved for Twitter users. I have a son around this age, and Twitter is much more popular than message boards. Message boards are kinda old school these days. Again, no argument on the premise...

Cooterpoot
08-01-2018, 04:26 PM

Pickering said that because State fans were ripping Dannis on twitter.

MetEdDawg
08-01-2018, 04:46 PM

Our fan base would much rather take to social media for a negative than a positive. But then we are shocked we don't finish well in recruiting.

And we still have fans that think social media's place in recruiting is overblown. We are still light years behind as a fan base in understanding modern day recruiting.

BeardoMSU
08-01-2018, 05:55 PM

This, in 17'n spades.

Chill the **** out....and more importantly, don't tweet at recruits you weird mooks.

BeardoMSU
08-01-2018, 05:57 PM

We have some full-reta7d fans.....

Yeah, dipshits, that's the ticket!*

DawgNamedScuba
08-01-2018, 06:01 PM
Honestly the recruiting thread should be private to all people not signed in.

BeardoMSU
08-01-2018, 06:04 PM

Yes! Shit posted here is more harmful to MSU than the bile found on the poly board. Serious, Mods, wtf?

msstate7
08-01-2018, 06:04 PM
We have some full-reta7d fans.....

Yeah, dipshits, that's the ticket!*

I don't twitter; but when I did, there were fans of all schools letting recruits have it. I don't condone it... hell for all my rants, I've never ripped into a kid. I save all my criticism for coaches (paid to do this) and the posters that sell us dreams

msbulldog
08-01-2018, 06:07 PM

I could support that.

Turfdawg67
08-01-2018, 06:09 PM
I could support that.

I third the motion.

msbulldog
08-01-2018, 06:12 PM
Yes! Shit posted here is more harmful to MSU than the bile found on the poly board. Serious, Mods, wtf?

dammit Beardo, why do I find myself agreeing with you every time I look at you gif sig? +1

bostondawg
08-01-2018, 06:21 PM
I absolutely 100% support making recruiting its own invite only board. Some of you guys are pathetic and make us look terrible.

Leroy Jenkins
08-01-2018, 06:39 PM
No one should ever say anything negative about a kid.... its too easy to just not say anything at all, it literally takes zero effort to say nothing.

With that said.... Do the things MSU fans say about recruits only affect us? I think our fans are pretty mild compared to most of the big-boy recruiting schools; they seem to overcome their "negative" fans somehow. GTFOH with that self-righteous, white-knighting, shit.

Po' ole mitttitppi tate, we's cant never have nuthin' good 'cause our fans say bad stuff... and we aint got no mall.

Toughen-up, and on the same side of that coin, don't say dumb shit about 16 y/o boys.

KOdawg1
08-01-2018, 06:44 PM
I 100% agree with this. Mods, make it happen.

KOdawg1
08-01-2018, 06:48 PM
So back to recruiting since this is a recruiting thread.

Ja'Quay Hubbard announces on Sept. 1st. Are we still confident he'll choose us? It's us or Virginia I think, so surely we can beat out them. Besides Hubbard, are we looking at anyone else to commit soon?

msbulldog
08-01-2018, 06:52 PM
I 100% agree with this. Mods, make it happen.

Owners make this happen for MSU and Elitdawg reputation!

Turfdawg67
08-01-2018, 07:07 PM
So back to recruiting since this is a recruiting thread.

Ja'Quay Hubbard announces on Sept. 1st. Are we still confident he'll choose us? It's us or Virginia I think, so surely we can beat out them. Besides Hubbard, are we looking at anyone else to commit soon?

It's no slam dunk. You have to look at the distance between him and his family.

KOdawg1
08-01-2018, 07:14 PM
In an interview, he said distance from home was no factor, but you know how that goes

craigmid
08-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Stick around ari.. as soon as the season starts and we start winning all the bad emotions from folks will ease up.

Who is Whop?

KOdawg1
08-01-2018, 08:08 PM
Who is Whop?
Devonta Jason. 4* WR we signed out of New Orleans last year

Bothrops
08-01-2018, 08:17 PM
In an interview, he said distance from home was no factor, but you know how that goes

It's always a factor if all else is equal. Hopefully he sees that Virginia football isn't equal.

CadaverDawg
08-02-2018, 10:12 AM
Diwun Black flips from OM to Flarda

Cooterpoot
08-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Diwun Black flips from OM to Flarda

Mullen playing the stars game to get the heat off.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-02-2018, 11:39 AM
Mullen playing the stars game to get the heat off.

Steve is that you?

PMDawg
08-02-2018, 11:43 AM
Seriously though - I don't think I've ever seen another avatar that more perfectly matches the poster's online persona than yours. Well done.

Doggie_Style
08-02-2018, 01:59 PM
What's the knock on Rodriguez Clark - RB - Starkville? Injuries? The dude is a built like a tank! Is it time to offer this kid or am I missing something?

KOdawg1
08-02-2018, 02:11 PM
What's the knock on Rodriguez Clark - RB - Starkville? Injuries? The dude is a built like a tank! Is it time to offer this kid or am I missing something?

If I had to guess, he or LaKenith Thompson from Callaway would be our 2nd back behind Gray or Emerson, should we be able to flip either. If we don't get one of them to flip, idk what we do. Maybe take both Clark and Thompson, which would be meh

KOdawg1
08-02-2018, 02:29 PM
Jashon Watkins. Are we looking at him at WR or DB? His tape and offer sheet looks impressive. What are our chances with him?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-02-2018, 02:50 PM

He's had 2 major injuries & he's not a HR threat like Huff likes. Could things change after another full season of work? Sure but Huff has a style & Dreke isn't really that type.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-02-2018, 02:50 PM
If I had to guess, he or LaKenith Thompson from Callaway would be our 2nd back behind Gray or Emerson, should we be able to flip either. If we don't get one of them to flip, idk what we do. Maybe take both Clark and Thompson, which would be meh

Thompson isn't on the board. This staff has never recruited him.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-02-2018, 02:51 PM
Jashon Watkins. Are we looking at him at WR or DB? His tape and offer sheet looks impressive. What are our chances with him?

We're recruiting him as a WR. His main concern is his speed.

KOdawg1
08-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Thompson isn't on the board. This staff has never recruited him.

So if Thompson isn't on the board, and Clark isn't a take, what are our options at RB besides Gray and Emery?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-02-2018, 02:58 PM
So if Thompson isn't on the board, and Clark isn't a take, what are our options at RB besides Gray and Emery?

Gray & Emery are still top of the list as is Ealy. Ronald Thompkins right below them & there are a couple other guys without offers being monitored. We're not going to just start reaching on guys in July/August because the best RB in the country commits elsewhere. Eric Gray is still being receptive to our recruiting & is the top guy outside of Emery. We have 1 of the top RB Coach recruiters in the country. We're not just going to settle because we didn't get THE BEST RB IN THE COUNTRY. We move on to #2 which is Gray not #6 or 7. People complained about Mullen recruiting for years but offering Clark now would be a classic Mullen/Knox lazy move.

KOdawg1
08-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Gray & Emery are still top of the list as is Ealy. Ronald Thompkins right below them & there are a couple other guys without offers being monitored. We're not going to just start reaching on guys in July/August because the best RB in the country commits elsewhere. Eric Gray is still being receptive to our recruiting & is the top guy outside of Emery. We have 1 of the top RB Coach recruiters in the country. We're not just going to settle because we didn't get THE BEST RB IN THE COUNTRY. We move on to #2 which is Gray not #6 or 7. People complained about Mullen recruiting for years but offering Clark now would be a classic Mullen/Knox lazy move.

Good deal. I forgot about Thompkins. Thanks

msstate7
08-02-2018, 03:42 PM
He's had 2 major injuries & he's not a HR threat like Huff likes. Could things change after another full season of work? Sure but Huff has a style & Dreke isn't really that type.

So does not being a HR threat gonna severely limit Williams' carries this season?

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2018, 04:11 PM
So does not being a HR threat gonna severely limit Williams' carries this season?

Probably depends on how Kylin does.

If Kylin is legit, then "YEAH"

Ifyouonlyknew
08-02-2018, 05:32 PM
Probably depends on how Kylin does.

If Kylin is legit, then "YEAH"

I think this is the correct answer. Until Kylin becomes a complete RB Aeris is the starter. When Kylin becomes a complete RB it's his job.

Turfdawg67
08-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Was looking for an old post of mine and saw a tread titled "What's wrong with our 2016 recruiting?" Thought it'd be fun to reminisce and found this gem...

https://s8.postimg.cc/s38vjgmwl/6115_E7_B2-_A489-4_B9_E-8892-0_EDC2_D332_E88.png

Not a knock on IYOK, but poor ole mic thought we'd get 6-7 off that list!

KOdawg1
08-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Was looking for an old post of mine and saw a tread titled "What's wrong with our 2016 recruiting?" Thought it'd be fun to reminisce and found this gem...

https://s8.postimg.cc/s38vjgmwl/6115_E7_B2-_A489-4_B9_E-8892-0_EDC2_D332_E88.png

Seeing that makes me angry at the last staff. Sure, AJ was gonna do what he was gonna do, but Lashley, Knott, and Davis could've been our's. Davis is the only one who panned out at Bama

Todd4State
08-02-2018, 10:02 PM
I think this is the correct answer. Until Kylin becomes a complete RB Aeris is the starter. When Kylin becomes a complete RB it's his job.

Hill is already more explosive and it sounds to me like we may use Hill some in the slot at WR and also motion him back into the backfield like Moorhead did with Barkley.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-02-2018, 10:27 PM
Hill is already more explosive and it sounds to me like we may use Hill some in the slot at WR and also motion him back into the backfield like Moorhead did with Barkley.

I doubt we use him in the slot at WR but JoeMo does empty the backfield plenty & motion the RB in & out of the backfield.

msstate7
08-02-2018, 10:31 PM

I know I melted over some on that list. Crazy thing is we still have perhaps the most talented state team this year without them. Sure it would be nice to add some, but we got a damn good team anyway

1bigdawg
08-02-2018, 10:59 PM
Raekwon Davis is not a DL. I know this because Hevesy said he was much more cut out for OL and would not succeed in the SEC as a DL.**

Bdawg
08-02-2018, 11:13 PM
Raekwon Davis is not a DL. I know this because Hevesy said he was much more cut out for OL and would not succeed in the SEC as a DL.**

What a dumbass!! Glad his no cruitin self is gone!!

BeardoMSU
08-02-2018, 11:24 PM

What was that DL's name from JUCO that we moved to LT after one year? I'm thinking 2011 or 12? He was like 6'8", but I don't remember that transition going especially well.

Todd4State
08-03-2018, 12:03 AM
What was that DL's name from JUCO that we moved to LT after one year? I'm thinking 2011 or 12? He was like 6'8", but I don't remember that transition going especially well.

James Carmon.

Todd4State
08-03-2018, 12:04 AM
What a dumbass!! Glad his no cruitin self is gone!!

Amen. It's one thing to be a douchebag. It's another level when you add in lazy and incompetent.

sandwolf
08-03-2018, 03:12 AM

IYOK can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe his parents plan to move to wherever he goes to school.

dawgday166
08-03-2018, 05:51 AM

Folks keep saying this and I ain't for sure saying it ain't so but ... maybe my memory is not too good here but I don't remember Hill breaking off a long run last year. Looking at stats, his long was 30 yds (with many less carries tho). Williams' long was 59. Avg yards Hill - 5.0, Aeris 4.7. Aeris was in most of time against all 1st team Ds. He wore Bama out some. How many RBs did Mullen have that ran like that against Bama?

Aeris reminds me just a tad of Emmitt Smith the way he runs. Emmit didn't break long runs like Walker, Bo, or Dupree. Didn't have that type of speed. But he found the hole and gained 5 or 6 when it didn't appear much of a hole was there. Not saying Aeris is in same class as Emmitt, but he does remind me a tad of him.

Won't be long into the season when Fitz has a couple of bad throws, everyone will be hollering for Keytaon.

bulldawg28
08-03-2018, 06:45 AM
Folks keep saying this and I ain't for sure saying it ain't so but ... maybe my memory is not too good here but I don't remember Hill breaking off a long run last year. Looking at stats, his long was 30 yds (with many less carries tho). Williams' long was 59. Avg yards Hill - 5.0, Aeris 4.7. Aeris was in most of time against all 1st team Ds. He wore Bama out some. How many RBs did Mullen have that ran like that against Bama?

Aeris reminds me just a tad of Emmitt Smith the way he runs. Emmit didn't break long runs like Walker, Bo, or Dupree. Didn't have that type of speed. But he found the hole and gained 5 or 6 when it didn't appear much of a hole was there. Not saying Aeris is in same class as Emmitt, but he does remind me a tad of him.

Won't be long into the season when Fitz has a couple of bad throws, everyone will be hollering for Keytaon.

The coach whose watching him daily said it, case closed. It's easy to see that Hill is faster, quicker, and more athletic with the ball than Williams.

msstate7
08-03-2018, 06:57 AM
The coach whose watching him daily said it, case closed. It's easy to see that Hill is faster, quicker, and more athletic with the ball than Williams.

I have no doubts. Dawgday never said differently. Aeris doesn't beat you with his athletism. He's now rushed for over 2,000 right at 5 yds/carry. I could certainly be wrong, but I don't see aeris bowing out of our starting rb spot gracefully. I expect a big year from him and Kylin. I still expect aeris to get the bulk of the carries

ETA... there should be plenty of carries for each and even Gibson. Georgia got 2 guys 150+ carries last season and 3 80+ carries. I don't expect this many carries, but I can see both and fitz go over 120

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-03-2018, 08:49 AM

I'm a big Aeris fan, but I think those numbers are less representative of athleticism and moreso that Hill sometimes made the wrong cut that cost a yard to 2. Aeris almost never makes any mistakes, so his athleticism is better utilized. Hill did run a lot against already broken Ds, but sometimes he was running behind our 2nd string OL too. When we put him in real gametimes, all we did was hand it to him 3 straight plays then pull him because Mullen didn't trust his blocking. Defenses knew he was going to run the second they saw him enter.

Not that it matter,s because the eye test makes it clear that Hill is the better athlete. Better burst, quicker to change directions, he chops his feet faster... his potential is higher. Now we has to know the playbook, be able to block, run routes and have good hands, and know when to take what the D gives him. He's pretty good on some of these but has room for improvement

Ifyouonlyknew
08-03-2018, 09:01 AM
IYOK can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe his parents plan to move to wherever he goes to school.

That's correct

ShotgunDawg
08-03-2018, 09:42 AM
I know I melted over some on that list. Crazy thing is we still have perhaps the most talented state team this year without them. Sure it would be nice to add some, but we got a damn good team anyway

Agree. I think it's important to realize though that most of the melting is due to us consistently losing that one more piece that makes us a championship caliber team. Add in some of the players on this list and we are potentially the best team in the country.

It'll be interesting to see which position would've been needed this year to take that next step.

bulldawg28
08-03-2018, 09:54 AM
I have no doubts. Dawgday never said differently. Aeris doesn't beat you with his athletism. He's now rushed for over 2,000 right at 5 yds/carry. I could certainly be wrong, but I don't see aeris bowing out of our starting rb spot gracefully. I expect a big year from him and Kylin. I still expect aeris to get the bulk of the carries

ETA... there should be plenty of carries for each and even Gibson. Georgia got 2 guys 150+ carries last season and 3 80+ carries. I don't expect this many carries, but I can see both and fitz go over 120

I'm not being critical of his post. I'm saying Hill is more athletic not knocking Williams but they're two different backs skillsets wise. Williams is our typical MSU brusier . Hill all of the above on the checklist.

msu15
08-03-2018, 10:10 AM
Agree. I think it's important to realize though that most of the melting is due to us consistently losing that one more piece that makes us a championship caliber team. Add in some of the players on this list and we are potentially the best team in the country.

It'll be interesting to see which position would've been needed this year to take that next step.

Man what that defensive line could've been....smfh.

Todd4State
08-03-2018, 04:41 PM

Some of that is due to a smaller sample size. One of the football analytical websites had Hill as one of the most explosive running backs in the league last year.

Goldendawg
08-03-2018, 06:34 PM
James Carmon.

Shows how well Dan/Hev recruited OL. Had to turn a Senior DT to your LT. Par for the course.

Bothrops
08-03-2018, 10:49 PM
Some of that is due to a smaller sample size. One of the football analytical websites had Hill as one of the most explosive running backs in the league last year.

Hill is the most explosive back we've had since the Robinson/Perkins/Ballard days, but different. Aeris' specialty is his heart. He really gives great effort and has improved. This is a great 2 punch combo with Gibson giving a different parameter as well. This offense is going to utilize these guys a lot better.

Cooterpoot
08-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Aries is a leader. He does his job and rarely makes mistakes.

ShotgunDawg
08-04-2018, 10:32 AM
Aries is a leader. He does his job and rarely makes mistakes.

Agree and his best skill vision, not heart.

Heart is something you use to describe someone that is not talented. Aeris is very talented. While not necessarily explosive, he possess boader line elite vision which allows to always gain yardage

Dallas_Dawg
08-04-2018, 06:26 PM
Agree and his best skill vision, not heart.

Heart is something you use to describe someone that is not talented. Aeris is very talented. While not necessarily explosive, he possess boader line elite vision which allows to always gain yardage
Agree. Go back and watch the Bama game. He tore it up. Don't count out Point City.

Todd4State
08-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Agree. Go back and watch the Bama game. He tore it up. Don't count out Point City.

The thing is Hill has a higher upside but Aeris is a quality back who is a 1K rusher who does everything right and therefore deserves to play.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-04-2018, 09:52 PM
I think I'm lost...I was looking for the RECRUITING BOARD....

FriarsPoint
08-05-2018, 12:05 AM

Normally I think you put up prick posts, you re spot on here.

Hambone
08-05-2018, 07:01 AM
This thread gets hijacked weekly on non recruiting topics and then goes down its own rabbit hole.

bulldawg28
08-05-2018, 09:52 AM

So what news do you have?

msstate7
08-05-2018, 10:27 AM
So what news do you have?

Yeah, there's nothing happening recruiting wise apparently

bulldawg28
08-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Exactly, which is to be expected. I doubt much happens until midseason. Kids are focusing on their seasons now.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-05-2018, 11:51 AM

ok........So start a thread on the main board.

Bothrops
08-05-2018, 12:12 PM
No news is probably good news at this point.

msstate7
08-05-2018, 12:51 PM
ok........So start a thread on the main board.

If you have no recruiting news, please don't post in the recruiting thread

Turfdawg67
08-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Saw that a 4* DE out of Ft Lauderdale, Khris Bogle is being CB'd to OM. Man the Grove is pretty again!

bulldawg28
08-05-2018, 01:25 PM

Ha

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-05-2018, 09:50 PM

Is this recruiting news? ^^^^

We can do this all day.....you can't see how it makes sense to post non recruiting topics on the main board and not in the recruiting thread? It seems as if I'm not the only one who can see the reasoning in this. Haha

Bothrops
08-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Is this recruiting news? ^^^^

We can do this all day.....you can't see how it makes sense to post non recruiting topics on the main board and not in the recruiting thread? It seems as if I'm not the only one who can see the reasoning in this. Haha

Please stick to recruiting news. Thx

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-06-2018, 09:15 AM

GreenheadDawg
08-06-2018, 09:19 AM

I’ll give 100 cash to the first mod that bans his ass.

Cary Hudson's little bro
08-06-2018, 10:13 AM
How is our LB board shaping up? Who came to Top Dawg Camp? Lots of top guys on the 247 target list, but I'm curious who we lead with...besides Javeious Purvis, who I bet is a legit SEC LB about 3 years from today.

Would Diabate and Derick Hall both go to Auburn?

1bigdawg
08-06-2018, 11:07 AM
I am also concerned about our LB Board. We have 3 top LB in MS and have no commitments. Jack Harris said in his last interview that they were looking at him for the Sweat position.

BuckyIsAB****
08-06-2018, 11:31 AM
We will probably take Zach Edwards before its over with if I had to guess

archdawg
08-06-2018, 11:57 AM
I'd be interested in our entire board. Now that summer is winding down and football will soon be played, what new names have been added and who are we looking at to fill the spots of folks that are looking elsewhere? I'd assume camps put some new guys on the radar. And of the big names that we have been tracking on, who do we think ends up wearing maroon?

hailmari
08-06-2018, 02:00 PM
I’d be happy to see us push to get the WR from Tupelo to flip. We always say we need more speed on offense, well, here’s a guy with legit speed, hands, and he’s bigger than 5’10”. And he is receptive to us.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-06-2018, 02:11 PM
I?ll give 100 cash to the first mod that bans his ass.

So others can be a smart ass but I can't? I don't get it. It unreal how serious some people take message board posts...lighten up bro....Oh and please stick to recruiting news here please..*

SmokeyDawg
08-06-2018, 02:46 PM
I’ll give 100 cash to the first mod that bans his ass.

He's right though...

What's the over/under on amount of pages in this thread by the end of signing day?

On Topic: will Aaron Brule and Nathaniel Watson from the previous class both play linebacker?

Bothrops
08-06-2018, 02:48 PM
We are on Marquez Beason from TX, high 4* from TX. He is currently committed to Illinois. He has 47 offers. Does anyone know why he's committed to Illini?

bulldawg28
08-06-2018, 04:41 PM
I’d be happy to see us push to get the WR from Tupelo to flip. We always say we need more speed on offense, well, here’s a guy with legit speed, hands, and he’s bigger than 5’10”. And he is receptive to us.

He's hot and cold catching the ball. He needs consistency

bostondawg
08-06-2018, 05:26 PM
We are on Marquez Beason from TX, high 4* from TX. He is currently committed to Illinois. He has 47 offers. Does anyone know why he's committed to Illini?

An excellent question. I've gotta think he committed before receiving a lot of his bigger offers. We (and any big school) should be all over a high 4* from Texas committed to Illinois.

Bdawg
08-06-2018, 05:59 PM
He's right though...

What's the over/under on amount of pages in this thread by the end of signing day?

On Topic: will Aaron Brule and Nathaniel Watson from the previous class both play linebacker?

Steve R seems to think so.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-06-2018, 06:14 PM

When I saw his stars and rating, my first thought was "why did a Texas kid commit to Illinois?"

Ifyouonlyknew
08-06-2018, 08:09 PM
An excellent question. I've gotta think he committed before receiving a lot of his bigger offers. We (and any big school) should be all over a high 4* from Texas committed to Illinois.

Lovie Smith & Illinois has recruited Texas really hard the last 2yrs. He has a few friends on the Illinois roster. He was a big time recruit when he committed.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-06-2018, 08:10 PM
He's right though...

Yes they both are.

Lord McBuckethead
08-07-2018, 12:13 AM
Pages. O/u 395

Irondawg
08-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Ok, let's get back on track and evaluate where we are going into the Fall evaluation period:

SIGNEE LIMIT 25 and I think we sign that many

COMMITS 16 but I don't know if Richardson makes it through and you have to account for at least 1 flip

POSITION BREAKDOWN

QB - 1 (done)
RB - 0 (probably sign 2 unless we get Emery somehow)
WR - 2 (need 2 more)
TE - 0 (done)
OL - 3 (take 5 probaby)

DT - 2 (done)
DE - 2 (done)
LB - 1 (need 2)
DB - 5 (one more and I'm including Purvis here)

So we've got 9 spots to fill and probably 10-11 when it's all said and done. Probably 4 of these are RB/WR, 2/3 OL, 2 LB and a DB

I think we'll start to see a lot of new names pop up if we product on the field.

But where a team like MSU has to make up ground is finding the kid that's a late bloomer physically or maybe hasn't yet but has the baseline talent to be a really good player. And i'm not talking about the 5'11" center type, but we have to find the Dillon Day types. The safety that might be a step slow for that position but can put on 25 pounds and be a LB. You can't fill your class with those guys but we need to take 1-2 shots a year. Rayburn appears to be that type of guy we're evaluating, I'm sure there are others.

Doggie_Style
08-07-2018, 01:16 PM
I don't think we have room for 25 probably more like 22-23 based on 85 total. If you assume Richardson doesn't make it we have 15 commits and 8 more positions to fill. We currently have a great chance to get Hubbard, Sharp and Burdine. That leaves 5. We need to sign 1-2 RBs, maybe 1 more WR, maybe 1 more OL and 2 LB's. Someone mentioned that if we sign Burdine we are considering moving J. Jones to WR so we could go without adding another WR.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Just my opinion

1-2 RB (leaning 1)
0-1 WR (Depends on secondary finish could push Jarrian or Purvis to offense)
2-3 OL (2 for sure 3 if we don't keep Richardson)
0-1 DL (would have to be a stud)
1-2 LB
1-2 DB

I could see us taking - full 25 esp if 1 or 2 are sign & place guys.

I think we're at 82-83 on the roster. We have 17 Sr's plus Simmons so that gives us 20-21 scholarships. Of course a Cole, Guidry, or Leo could have amazing seasons & leave but I'm not banking on that right now. There's always 1 or 2 guys who move on each off season plus 1-2 sign & place guys we seem to have. That would get us right to 25. Technically we could sign 27 if there was more attrition after the season than normal but That's getting ahead of ourselves.

Irondawg
08-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Don't forget we lost Todd and you have to assume at least 1 leaves for some reason. I think we get at least 23 and good shot at 25.

Just need to throw up some big numbers the first few games to get a couple of the offensive targets excited.

I don't worry about finding some LB's

CadaverDawg
08-07-2018, 01:59 PM
What do you guys think about next season? We'll lose quite a few guys, but I feel like we should be solid again. Should still have a great DL, and could return all 3 starters at LB in Leo, Gay, and Errol. CB should return 1 of 2, and safety will be inexperienced but talented. OL will have a few new faces but a solid core. KT should provide a comfortable transition from Fitz, and Hill/Gibson are men at RB. WR will be better due to experience alone unless we lose Guidry. We'll lose some absolute stars in Simmons and Sweat, but if there's ever a position we can afford to lose two NFL guys at, it's probably this DL group.

Thoughts? And where do you guys see concerns creeping up in the next few years if we don't get a couple of key positions recruited in this class? RB, OL, CB, and LB appear to be the biggest needs for our 2020 team and beyond through my eyes, but I may be wrong.

KOdawg1
08-07-2018, 02:11 PM
What do you guys think about next season? We'll lose quite a few guys, but I feel like we should be solid again. Should still have a great DL, and could return all 3 starters at LB in Leo, Gay, and Errol. CB should return 1 of 2, and safety will be inexperienced but talented. OL will have a few new faces but a solid core. KT should provide a comfortable transition from Fitz, and Hill/Gibson are men at RB. WR will be better due to experience alone unless we lose Guidry. We'll lose some absolute stars in Simmons and Sweat, but if there's ever a position we can afford to lose two NFL guys at, it's probably this DL group.

Thoughts? And where do you guys see concerns creeping up in the next few years if we don't get a couple of key positions recruited in this class? RB, OL, CB, and LB appear to be the biggest needs for our 2020 team and beyond through my eyes, but I may be wrong.

2019 should be solid. Mostly because of everything you mentioned above, but also because it'll be one more year to learn JoMo's system. Hopefully, Shoop can break the DC curse we have here and stay for more than one year.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-07-2018, 02:13 PM

Pretty good assessment. We definitely need a good RB this class I think we end up with 1. CB's are big in this class & James & Brooks are a good start. Need 1 more legit SEC caliber CB & I'll feel better. We need legit OL just from a #'s perspective because I think we will have very solid starting lineups the next 2-3 years. I think we signed a very good LB class last year (Jett, Watson, & Brule) need a couple more this year to keep the shelves stocked. Another really good WR would be great but I think Jarrian Jones is that good & is on the same level as Mingo & Dannis (watch his film). A good close to this class &
Another top 20 class next year sets up JoeMo for long term success.

Johnson85
08-07-2018, 02:22 PM

I think that's basically right but you are underplaying the value that Simmons and Sweat have as playmakers. Even when you are replacing him with a good player, it's just a major difference to go from a star like Simmons that offenses have to specifically account for each game to just a good player. Same with Sweat to a lesser extent.

bulldawg28
08-07-2018, 03:11 PM
I think that's basically right but you are underplaying the value that Simmons and Sweat have as playmakers. Even when you are replacing him with a good player, it's just a major difference to go from a star like Simmons that offenses have to specifically account for each game to just a good player. Same with Sweat to a lesser extent.

Agreed

Ifyouonlyknew
08-07-2018, 04:41 PM

Simmons will by far be tougher to replace. Sweat is amazing but between Rivers, Spencer, Kobe, & Fletcher I think we'll be fine with the pass rush.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-07-2018, 05:02 PM
The loss of Simmons will be somewhat mitigated by the returning LBs. Not completely though. Inside run D will take a step back with Simmons, Thomas, and Brown all leaving. Youth at S will probably lead to a few blown coverages/missed tackles. However, the DE's and CBs will be good, and the LB experience should help mitigate the S mistakes. If last year our D was a 90, and '16 was a 60, my guess this year is a 95 and next year is an 85. Still good but still not on the elite level

msbulldog
08-07-2018, 06:20 PM

Look at the freshmen who will be RS freshmen, like Lovett and others and look at 2019 commits we have folks in the pipeline.

bulldawg28
08-07-2018, 07:31 PM
Look at the freshmen who will be RS freshmen, like Lovett and others and look at 2019 commits we have folks in the pipeline.

Lovett is no Simmons but I get the gist of what you're saying.

1bigdawg
08-07-2018, 07:42 PM

Pickering might be.

Cooterpoot
08-07-2018, 08:49 PM
Pickering isn’t. He’s more Willie Blade. Simmons might be the best that’s been here. I think he’s better than Fletch was while he was here.

bulldawg28
08-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Pickering isn’t. He’s more Willie Blade. Simmons might be the best that’s been here. I think he’s better than Fletch was while he was here.

I'm not going that far yet. However, looking back we've had some really good talent come through State. Sometimes we get caught upin stars and fail to realize it.

Pit Bull
08-08-2018, 01:11 AM

Lovett is a solid 4 star DL IMO. Not quite a Simmons, but could develop into one. I have never seen a more nasty attitude DL recruit in all my years watching high school football. I will be surprised if he doesn't get kicked out of at least 3-4 games due to personal fouls for roughing or targeting. Has a mean streak a mile wide. Makes Simmons look kind of nice on the field. Coaches will have to work a great deal with him to keep him in games. He doesn't want to tackle his man, he wants to put him in the hospital. The way football rules have changed over the last 4-5 years, there will be some issues with Fabien regarding this.

msbulldog
08-08-2018, 05:51 AM
Lovett is a solid 4 star DL IMO. Not quite a Simmons, but could develop into one. I have never seen a more nasty attitude DL recruit in all my years watching high school football. I will be surprised if he doesn't get kicked out of at least 3-4 games due to personal fouls for roughing or targeting. Has a mean streak a mile wide. Makes Simmons look kind of nice on the field. Coaches will have to work a great deal with him to keep him in games. He doesn't want to tackle his man, he wants to put him in the hospital. The way football rules have changed over the last 4-5 years, there will be some issues with Fabien regarding this.

Kinda reminds you of Dillon Day.

StarkVegasSteve
08-08-2018, 09:43 AM

Sounds like a Nick Fairley. And if we get that kind of production out of him I'll be completely fine with the worry that he might get kicked out. Those types of guys affect the game from a mental level more than a physical level.

SouthMSDog
08-08-2018, 09:58 AM
I posted this on 247 earlier this morning and thought that y'all may be interested, as well. At minimum maybe it would start some good discussion...

Basically it is a 0-5 rating of a player based on their top 20 claimed offers as validated across the three main recruiting services. It takes the weight of each offer and compiles the average which is what you see in the rating column. Weights are determined by strength of record over the last 5 seasons, blue blood status, NFL draft picks and the quality of those picks (obviously 1st rd pick weighing the most and 7th round pick the least), bowl games & wins with different weights, etc...

I included MS JUCO prospects with HS players, as an FYI:
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/316/558/8558316.PNG
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/318/558/8558318.PNG

Bothrops
08-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Lovett is going to be a monster. NFL future.

shrimp
08-08-2018, 11:20 AM
The Jr. I'm most worried about leaving early is Daryl Williams. I assume this is why we're recruiting Sharp.

Just my opinion

1-2 RB (leaning 1)
0-1 WR (Depends on secondary finish could push Jarrian or Purvis to offense)
2-3 OL (2 for sure 3 if we don't keep Richardson)
0-1 DL (would have to be a stud)
1-2 LB
1-2 DB

I could see us taking - full 25 esp if 1 or 2 are sign & place guys.

I think we're at 82-83 on the roster. We have 17 Sr's plus Simmons so that gives us 20-21 scholarships. Of course a Cole, Guidry, or Leo could have amazing seasons & leave but I'm not banking on that right now. There's always 1 or 2 guys who move on each off season plus 1-2 sign & place guys we seem to have. That would get us right to 25. Technically we could sign 27 if there was more attrition after the season than normal but That's getting ahead of ourselves.

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Whoops sorry. Poor post

msstate7
08-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Looks like we just offered an Iowa State RB commit Breece Hall.

Breece is an 87 rated RB from Wichita, KS

This makes it look like the staff is scrambling & things must not look good with Gray, Emery, or Ealy.

Not good news IMO

https://247sports.com/Player/Breece-Hall-46050232

247 has him as 92 rated 4-star

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2018, 11:46 AM
247 has him as 92 rated 4-star

Yup.

Looks like 247's shitty system of advertising the composite over their own evaluation got me yet again.

Of note, Breece Hall is the biggest RB we've been recruiting. He's currently 6'1" 215

Gray is smaller and quicker

SouthMSDog
08-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Based on offers, the RBs you mentioned grade out like this...

Emery: 4.94
Ealy: 4.73
Gray: 4.12
Hall: 3.61

The top two are elite, but neither Gray nor Hall are anything to scoff at.

Cary Hudson's little bro
08-08-2018, 11:53 AM
He runs like Vick Ballard. He's Vick's size in HS already...based on a clip (1:15 mark) from his video I timed him at 4.83 40. From the 50 yard line to the 7 yd line since he sprinted the entire way.

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2018, 11:54 AM

Emery: 4.94 - Deep south
Ealy: 4.73 - Deep South
Gray: 4.12 - Memphis
Hall: 3.61 - Wichita

Hall is from by far the most remote area. Not surprising that he has the least amount of offers

SouthMSDog
08-08-2018, 01:07 PM

Emery: 4.94 - Deep south
Ealy: 4.73 - Deep South
Gray: 4.12 - Memphis
Hall: 3.61 - Wichita

Hall is from by far the most remote area. Not surprising that he has the least amount of offers

It's not just about the number of offers, it's about the number and the quality of the offers - that is what is factored into that number. I understand the point you are making that being in a remote area and not doing a lot of camps may effect the number of offers you can earn, but I don't believe that to be the case with Hall. Wichita isn't that small, according to Google it's pretty comparable to Tulsa, OK and around 400,000 in population. I didn't mean that him grading out at 3.61 was bad, in fact I think it's really pretty strong and would be very happy to have him in our class.

I'll use the current ATH and RB commits in the Pac 12 (since I have that conference up to date) for a comparison so you can see where he matches up.

Name State Position Rating Commitment
Sean Dollars CA RB 4.06 Oregon
Austin Jones CA RB 3.91 Stanford
Cameron Williams CA ATH 3.85 Washington
Jaren Mangham MI RB 3.82 Colorado
Asa Turner CA ATH 3.72 Washington
Jayvaun Wilson CA ATH 3.00 Oregon
Cameron Davis CA RB 2.80 Washington
DeCarlos Brooks AZ ATH 1.89 California
Jouvensly Bazile FL RB 1.84 Washington State
Kain Medrano CO ATH 1.61 UCLA
Carl Jones CA ATH 1.56 Colorado
Joshia Davis CO RB 1.49 Colorado
Anthony Gould OR ATH 1.23 Oregon State

Forgive the formatting, I'm in a bit of a hurry.

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2018, 02:00 PM
It's not just about the number of offers, it's about the number and the quality of the offers - that is what is factored into that number. I understand the point you are making that being in a remote area and not doing a lot of camps may effect the number of offers you can earn, but I don't believe that to be the case with Hall. Wichita isn't that small, according to Google it's pretty comparable to Tulsa, OK and around 400,000 in population. I didn't mean that him grading out at 3.61 was bad, in fact I think it's really pretty strong and would be very happy to have him in our class.

I'll use the current ATH and RB commits in the Pac 12 (since I have that conference up to date) for a comparison so you can see where he matches up.

Name State Position Rating Commitment
Sean Dollars CA RB 4.06 Oregon
Austin Jones CA RB 3.91 Stanford
Cameron Williams CA ATH 3.85 Washington
Jaren Mangham MI RB 3.82 Colorado
Asa Turner CA ATH 3.72 Washington
Jayvaun Wilson CA ATH 3.00 Oregon
Cameron Davis CA RB 2.80 Washington
DeCarlos Brooks AZ ATH 1.89 California
Jouvensly Bazile FL RB 1.84 Washington State
Kain Medrano CO ATH 1.61 UCLA
Carl Jones CA ATH 1.56 Colorado
Joshia Davis CO RB 1.49 Colorado
Anthony Gould OR ATH 1.23 Oregon State

Forgive the formatting, I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Wichita's population is irrelevant. Kids there don't get recruited like kids from the deep south

I am curious though why he does not have an Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, or Arkansas offer. Those are three of the closest teams to him.

Bothrops
08-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Yup.

Looks like 247's shitty system of advertising the composite over their own evaluation got me yet again.

Of note, Breece Hall is the biggest RB we've been recruiting. He's currently 6'1" 215

Gray is smaller and quicker

I watch his film. He has a nice burst and the necessary speed to not get caught from behind. But I question his physicality running in traffic at the next level,..especially SEC. I do think he has the tools to work in JoMo's offense. I'm not sure we could get him away from I-State, he has better offers and picked them anyway.

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2018, 04:11 PM
I watch his film. He has a nice burst and the necessary speed to not get caught from behind. But I question his physicality running in traffic at the next level,..especially SEC. I do think he has the tools to work in JoMo's offense. I'm not sure we could get him away from I-State, he has better offers and picked them anyway.

I'm just curious why he doesn't have an OU or Oklahoma State offer

Doggie_Style
08-08-2018, 06:46 PM
I'm just curious why he doesn't have an OU or Oklahoma State offer

We are obviously in a bind at RB...expect more ?offers ? to grade B players

Ifyouonlyknew
08-08-2018, 07:23 PM
We are obviously in a bind at RB...expect more ?offers ? to grade B players

Kid is a Top 150 by 247. If these are our plan C guys recruiting has picked up.

BuckyIsAB****
08-08-2018, 09:09 PM
I posted this on 247 earlier this morning and thought that y'all may be interested, as well. At minimum maybe it would start some good discussion...

Basically it is a 0-5 rating of a player based on their top 20 claimed offers as validated across the three main recruiting services. It takes the weight of each offer and compiles the average which is what you see in the rating column. Weights are determined by strength of record over the last 5 seasons, blue blood status, NFL draft picks and the quality of those picks (obviously 1st rd pick weighing the most and 7th round pick the least), bowl games & wins with different weights, etc...

I included MS JUCO prospects with HS players, as an FYI:
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/316/558/8558316.PNG
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/318/558/8558318.PNG

Not hating on you but Mingo is top 5 top 10 player in this state.

Commercecomet24
08-08-2018, 09:46 PM

Yeah if a 4 star rb is our plan C recruiting is definitely on the upswing.

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Yeah if a 4 star rb is our plan C recruiting is definitely on the upswing.

Not if we don't land any of them.

Jackson State can offer these guys.

I fail to see the coorelation between offering good players vs actually landing them.

BuckyIsAB****
08-08-2018, 10:31 PM

I fail to see the coorelation between offering good players vs actually landing them.

Well...if you offer you have a chance. It means you are confident enough and willing to put the effort in to get them.

Mullen would go offer a 2 star and yall would bitch. Thats the difference

Doggie_Style
08-09-2018, 06:36 AM

He?s just another 4* RB who ain?t coming to State

SouthMSDog
08-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Not hating on you but Mingo is top 5 top 10 player in this state.

No offense taken at all. I know that you are high on him, you were even the first here to say he was an elite WR, so I think you have a really good bead on the kid. However, his offer sheet just didn't grade out quite as high as some of the others. Those rankings have zero to do with any of my evaluations and are based purely on the quality of the prospects top 20 offers.

Bully13
08-09-2018, 08:14 AM
No offense taken at all. I know that you are high on him, you were even the first here to say he was an elite WR, so I think you have a really good bead on the kid. However, his offer sheet just didn't grade out quite as high as some of the others. Those rankings have zero to do with any of my evaluations and are based purely on the quality of the prospects top 20 offers.

Do some top quality croots have less offers due to the fact the coaches know he's settled on 1 or 2 schools and is in no way considering others?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-09-2018, 08:24 AM
He?s just another 4* RB who ain?t coming to State

I guess there's nothing to discuss then.

Commercecomet24
08-09-2018, 08:34 AM

Well here's a novel concept, why don't you let it play out and see who we actually land. Mullen wasn't even offering or going after these guys and folks used to complain on here about us not even offering high rated recruits.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-09-2018, 08:35 AM
I guess there's nothing to discuss then.

The sky must be indeed falling.......

Commercecomet24
08-09-2018, 08:35 AM
Well...if you offer you have a chance. It means you are confident enough and willing to put the effort in to get them.

Mullen would go offer a 2 star and yall would bitch. Thats the difference

This!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BuckyIsAB**** again.

I seen it dawg
08-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Early August......

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 09:16 AM
Well here's a novel concept, why don't you let it play out and see who we actually land. Mullen wasn't even offering or going after these guys and folks used to complain on here about us not even offering high rated recruits.

Eh, I don't believe that. Agree let's let it play out and not just crown a recruiting upswing just because we offer a player. Let's see the results first.

Sometimes chasing the big fish isn't the best idea. Would we have Gray committed right now if we didn't chase Emery?

Think about it

Cooterpoot
08-09-2018, 09:53 AM
Eh, I don't believe that. Agree let's let it play out and not just crown a recruiting upswing just because we offer a player. Let's see the results first.

Sometimes chasing the big fish isn't the best idea. Would we have Gray committed right now if we didn't chase Emery?

Think about it

And if Emery hadn't strung us a long (well, not really him), we'd have gone harder after someone else. But he was all but committed until people got involved.
If you want us to go back to Mullenesque recruiting, well, then you'll be complaining about even worse rated classes and a larger talent gap between us and the top schools.
We never backed away from Gray. We didn't push him to commit, but we didn't back away. He won't end up at Michigan.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 09:56 AM
And if Emery hadn't strung us a long (well, not really him), we'd have gone harder after someone else. But he was all but committed until people got involved.
If you want us to go back to Mullenesque recruiting, well, then you'll be complaining about even worse rated classes and a larger talent gap between us and the top schools.
We never backed away from Gray. We didn't push him to commit, but we didn't back away. He won't end up at Michigan.

I agree. I'm just saying that there are different ways to look at this & all that matters is who you sign.

Throwing out offers does not equal better recruiting. Signing better players equals better recruiting.

The Emery situation is just absurd BTW. The most MSU thing ever

Cooterpoot
08-09-2018, 09:59 AM
I agree. I'm just saying that there are different ways to look at this & all that matters is who you sign.

Throwing out offers does not equal better recruiting. Signing better players equals better recruiting.

The Emery situation is just absurd BTW. The most MSU thing ever

But you have to offer them and spend time recruiting top players to get them. And once you start getting a few, others will come with them. These guys have been here 7-9 months. The relationships they build will be a helluva a lot better than what our last staff did. HS coaches hated our last staff (the CC).

Ifyouonlyknew
08-09-2018, 10:37 AM

You just skipped the most important part of the process. You went from throwing out offers straight to signing. The key part & the part this staff in a few short months have proven they're willing to do more than the last staff is recruit better players. Anybody can throw the offer out but not everybody is willing to put in the work to get the kid. Of course signing is the most important but you can't sign better players if you don't RECRUIT better players. That's what we're trying to do.

We were so pissed when the last staff would just settle for kids they didn't have to work for & had no other offers. I saw the same thing last month when plenty on here & other msg boards were screaming let's just take "insert instate OL or RB here". Instead this staff is still looking for legit SEC caliber players. Again it's all about who you sign but continuing to try to sign legit SEC guys & not just saying oh well I can pull this kid with no effort sign him up is a step up in recruiting which everyone has been screaming about for years.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 10:41 AM
You just skipped the most important part of the process. You went from throwing out offers straight to signing. The key part & the part this staff in a few short months have proven they're willing to do more than the last staff is recruit better players. Anybody can throw the offer out but not everybody is willing to put in the work to get the kid. Of course signing is the most important but you can't sign better players if you don't RECRUIT better players. That's what we're trying to do.

We were so pissed when the last staff would just settle for kids they didn't have to work for & had no other offers. I saw the same thing last month when plenty on here & other msg boards were screaming let's just take "insert instate OL or RB here". Instead this staff is still looking for legit SEC caliber players. Again it's all about who you sign but continuing to try to sign legit SEC guys & not just saying oh well I can pull this kid with no effort sign him up is a step up in recruiting which everyone has been screaming about for years.

Good points & I agree with all.

I just don't like praising people until the results are in. However, it does appear as though the process is better and with more effort.

I do wonder though if Mullen's regime started off doing this before throwing in the towel when they realized they weren't landing any of the big fish they were chasing?

Does anyone remember the first few years of the Mullen era in terms of who we offered & recruited?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-09-2018, 10:44 AM

I just don't like praising people until the results are in. However, it does appears as though the process is better

It's funny because you're constantly preaching about how MSU & MSU fans need to get over this inferiority complex. However when someone praises this staff or talks about how good they think this new staff will be in coaching or recruiting you throw a wet blanket on them or so say slow down with the praise. It's just confusing because you say take pride in MSU & expect better but when someone does you say wait a minute let's not get to ahead of ourselves.

Commercecomet24
08-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Think about it

You don't believe what? This staff is recruiting totally different than the previous staff, It's night and day different. Talk to some of the kids being recruited in person and don't just base it on what you read on the recruiting sites. I'm telling you this staff is doing things the right way in who and how they're recruiting. They're already making more connections and in roads in just the few months they've been here than the previous staff did in the years they were here. Go and talk to some of the hs coaches, they'll tell you.

Jarius
08-09-2018, 10:46 AM

I just don't like praising people until the results are in. However, it does appear as though the process is better and with more effort.

I do wonder though if Mullen's regime started off doing this before throwing in the towel when they realized they weren't landing any of the big fish they were chasing?

Does anyone remember the first few years of the Mullen era in terms of who we offered & recruited?

Well we already have a 4 star DE committed from Tennessee that has offers from Ohio State and Alabama and a 4 star qb from Carolina that has offers from everyone in the country in year 1, so I doubt they throw in the towel.

Commercecomet24
08-09-2018, 10:47 AM
It's funny because you're constantly preaching about how MSU & MSU fans need to get over this inferiority complex. However when someone praises this staff or talks about how good they think this new staff will be in coaching or recruiting you throw a wet blanket on them or so say slow down with the praise. It's just confusing because you say take pride in MSU & expect better but when someone does you say wait a minute let's not get to ahead of ourselves.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ifyouonlyknew again.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 10:54 AM

I'm not into praising human beings unless it's results oriented. I view MSU as bigger than any coach, player, & administrator. My opinions involved separating the two.

For example: I despise how our athletic department continues to market the "Moor....." slogan stuff. We should be selling the school & state, not a human being. Our pride should be based around the school & state, not a human being.

I understand the predicament in which you are calling into question, but it's different IMO, even if I have trouble explaining why.

Hopefully this makes sense

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 10:57 AM
Well we already have a 4 star DE committed from Tennessee that has offers from Ohio State and Alabama and a 4 star qb from Carolina that has offers from everyone in the country in year 1, so I doubt they throw in the towel.

I'm not here to defend Mullen's recruiting in any way, but Mullen landed KT, Cord Sanburg, Montez Sweat, Nick Gibson, Mixon, Fred Ross, etc.... I don't see what we've done out of state as being that much different than what the Mullen regime did, although I do realize that everything Mullen is currently bad & every Moorhead is wonderful.

Perhaps our recruiting will be better at the end of the day, but I'm seeing this massive uptick that everyone keeps praising this staff for. At least not yet.

Jarius
08-09-2018, 11:04 AM
I'm not here to defend Mullen's recruiting in any way, but Mullen landed KT, Cord Sanburg, Montez Sweat, Nick Gibson, Mixon, Fred Ross, etc.... I don't see what we've done out of state as being that much different than what the Mullen regime did, although I do realize that everything Mullen is currently bad & every Moorhead is wonderful.

Perhaps our recruiting will be better at the end of the day, but I'm seeing this massive uptick that everyone keeps praising this staff for. At least not yet.

Cord Sandburg never made it to campus and everyone in the country knew he was not coming, which is why we got him so easily to start with. Montez Sweat was a MS juco prospect. That does not count for OOS signees. Keith Mixon was a composite 3 star. Fred Ross, KT, Bennie Brown, and Gipson are about the only 4 OOS highly rated kids he signed while here. That is in 9 years. We have 2 in year 1 with this staff, along with Whop from last year.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Cord Sandburg never made it to campus and everyone in the country knew he was not coming, which is why we got him so easily to start with. Montez Sweat was a MS juco prospect. That does not count for OOS signees. Keith Mixon was a composite 3 star. Fred Ross, KT, and Bennie Brown are about the only 3 OOS highly rated kids he signed while here. That is in 9 years. We have 2 in year 1 with this staff, along with Whop from last year.

- There are more than the ones I listed
- I think Whop was coming regardless, I could be wrong though
- Everyone did not know what was going to happen to Cord at the time he committed to us. He committed to us early that Summer before the baseball situation took off.
- I'm not saying that this staff isn't doing a good job & the process is not better, but objectively, I not sold yet that recruiting will be THAT much better. I realize that is an unpopular opinion, but it's the way I see it at this point. I'm sure I'll be called dumb for this opinion, but, outside of the state of Mississippi being more loaded than ever, I don't yet see a drastic uptick in who we will likely sign.

Bothrops
08-09-2018, 11:13 AM
You can't trust what any of these kids say, until they do what they told you they would do, sign and fax. Any State fan that's been around could tell you Emery was a pipedream. It would have been hard to sign him even if he had been a MS kid. However, what the staff showed me there was confidence, and I like that a lot. Mullen wouldn't have even tried with Emery. We would be in the 30's right now with Don.

hacker
08-09-2018, 11:15 AM

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/13/115/3115013.jpeg

msstate7
08-09-2018, 11:16 AM
If we are expecting to get bunch of OOS composite 4-stars year in, year out, we'll most likely always be disappointed. I would rather worry about the composite 4-stats leaving our state at the moment

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 11:29 AM
If we are expecting to get bunch of OOS composite 4-stars year in, year out, we'll most likely always be disappointed. I would rather worry about the composite 4-stats leaving our state at the moment

Ding, ding, ding

Bothrops
08-09-2018, 11:38 AM
There are several of our committed, higher rated guys that Don wouldn't have now, and certainly wouldn't have in Feb. We have them, and we will sign most of them because we are recruiting the way we should be, top 20. Let ingenuity take care of the rest. Now, thus far we have been screwed on RB and WR targets. Absolutely screwed on one, for sure. For reasons that are bullshit. Our coaches have to deal with it the best way possible. At any rate, I could list some of the kids that we have now that Don would have missed on, but this discussion doesn't warrant that. We are the best program in the state.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 11:43 AM
There are several of our committed, higher rated guys that Don wouldn't have now, and certainly wouldn't have in Feb. We have them, and we will sign most of them because we are recruiting the way we should be, top 20. Let ingenuity take care of the rest. Now, thus far we have been screwed on RB and WR targets. Absolutely screwed on one, for sure. For reasons that are bullshit. Our coaches have to deal with it the best way possible. At any rate, I could list some of the kids that we have now that Don would have missed on, but this discussion doesn't warrant that. We are the best program in the state.

We'll see.

I'll admit that it will be much easier to evaluate this staff's recruiting ability when Mississippi has a normal level of prospects.

I think much of the debate this year is centered around the uncertainty of how to judge the recruiting ability because the amount of in-state prospects is so far above the norm.

The optimists say "Look at who we have committed", which is a fair take, & the pessimist/realist say, "Well, look at how many more options there are" which is also a fair take.

The truth is that simply may not know how good they are until the amount of in-state prospects regresses to it's normal level.

Can we all agree on that?

Commercecomet24
08-09-2018, 11:45 AM

This guy gets it.

Commercecomet24
08-09-2018, 11:46 AM
We'll see.

I'll admit that it will be much easier to evaluate this staff's recruiting ability when Mississippi has a normal level of prospects.

I think much of the debate this year is centered around the uncertainty of how to judge the recruiting ability because the amount of in-state prospects is so far above the norm.

The optimists say "Look at who we have committed", which is a fair take, & the pessimist/realist say, "Well, look at how many more options there are" which is also a fair take.

The truth is that simply may not know how good they are until the amount of in-state prospects regresses to it's normal level.

I think that's a fair take.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-09-2018, 11:58 AM
- Everyone did not know what was going to happen to Cord at the time he committed to us. He committed to us early that Summer before the baseball situation took off.
- I'm not saying that this staff isn't doing a good job & the process is not better, but objectively, I not sold yet that recruiting will be THAT much better. I realize that is an unpopular opinion, but it's the way I see it at this point. I'm sure I'll be called dumb for this opinion, but, outside of the state of Mississippi being more loaded than ever, I don't yet see a drastic uptick in who we will likely sign.

2019 OOS Commits

Garrett Shrader 9 SEC 17 P5 Offers
Ani 10 SEC 15 P5 Offers
Greg Brooks 7 SEC 12 P5 Offers
Quinton Torbor 5 SEC 7 P5 Offers
Darius Washington 4 SEC 11 P5 Offers
DJ James 6 SEC 8 P5 Offers

2018 OOS Commits (Only Guys who Committed to JoeMo)

Whop 11 SEC 20 P5 Offers
Aaron Brule 4 SEC 15 P5 Offers

So 8 OOS Guys with either 5 SEC offers or 10 P5 offers in 9 months

Mullen Last 3 classes 2016, 17, & their Commits from 18

Jaylen Mayden 3 SEC offers 15 P5 Offers
Keytaon Thompson 4 SEC Offers 10 P5 Offers
Tyler Dunning 5 SEC Offers 9 P5 Offers
Cordavian Suggs 3 SEC Offers 16 P5 Offers
Jamal Couch 7 SEC Offers 10 P5 Offers
Errol Thompson 6 SEC Offers 8 P5 Offers
Stewart Reese 9 SEC Offers 27 P5 Offers
Korey Charles 3 SEC Offers 11 P5 Offers
Christian Roberson 5 SEC Offers 16 P5 Offers

So in 9 months JoeMo has pretty much matched the OOS output of what I think most would call quality OOS Guys that Mullen signed the last 3 classes. So yes if you can't see the improvement of OOS recruiting then I don't know what to tell you.

Doggie_Style
08-09-2018, 12:02 PM
We'll see.

I buy that....my biggest concern is a critical position group (RB) has been a disappointment so far for 2019. Joe may pull a rabbit out of his hat a sign Ealy or another top guy but it's looking more likely that we sign a project just in case one of our 2 scolly RB's can't go next year. I assure you that JM is not happy with our current situation for 2019 RB's and I would expect that he will make adjustments to his process in the future.

Red Sox Dawg
08-09-2018, 12:09 PM
We'll see.

I think another factor with our recruiting this year in Mississippi is our new staff hasn't been here for 1 season yet, not even a calendar year. They haven't had as much time to build relationships with this class, much less show recruits what kind of staff and team they can be. It's bad timing because of the size and quality of this recruiting class in Mississippi. I think our season may help with 1 or 2 guys this year but the '20 and '21 classes will tell the tale. I like our recruiting so far and I am anxious for the season.

Commercecomet24
08-09-2018, 12:18 PM
2019 OOS Commits

Ani 10 SEC 15 P5 Offers

Whop 11 SEC 20 P5 Offers

So in 9 months JoeMo has pretty much matched the OOS output of what I think most would call quality OOS Guys that Mullen signed the last 3 classes. So yes if you can't see the improvement of OOS recruiting then I don't know what to tell you.

That's pretty impressive in just a few short months. Really shows the difference between what was being done in recruiting and what is being done NOW.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 12:18 PM
2019 OOS Commits

Ani 10 SEC 15 P5 Offers

Whop 11 SEC 20 P5 Offers

Good info.

Thank you for this. Very good to see

Jarius
08-09-2018, 12:19 PM

There really are not more than the ones you listed outside of Bennie Brown, and most of the ones you listed either did not make it to campus, were not actually an OOS state prospect, or had a composite rating of 85 and were a 3 star.

ETA: you also left off Will Redmond, who we got put on probation for signing.

NCDawg
08-09-2018, 01:04 PM
I buy that....my biggest concern is a critical position group (RB) has been a disappointment so far for 2019. Joe may pull a rabbit out of his hat a sign Ealy or another top guy but it's looking more likely that we sign a project just in case one of our 2 scolly RB's can't go next year. I assure you that JM is not happy with our current situation for 2019 RB's and I would expect that he will make adjustments to his process in the future.

If we could flip Ealy, I would be more than satisfied. He's one of the top RB's in the country. I'm sure it will be hard to do because Jackson Prep seems to be Ole Miss leaning, and Ole Miss got him to commit early.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 01:10 PM
If we could flip Ealy, I would be more than satisfied. He's one of the top RB's in the country. I'm sure it will be hard to do because Jackson Prep seems to be Ole Miss leaning, and Ole Miss got him to commit early.

But Ealy may not play college football

NCDawg
08-09-2018, 01:20 PM
But Ealy may not play college football

Maybe, but it's still worth taking the chance in my opinion. I think he will.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-09-2018, 01:20 PM

We sign someone like Hall this year and get Tyree next year all will be well in RB land.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 01:27 PM
Maybe, but it's still worth taking the chance in my opinion. I think he will.

Definitely agree, but you've got to sign two backs if you sign Ealy.

What makes you think he will play college football?

Cary Hudson's little bro
08-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Ealy is a 5-8 kid from the academy league. I know his highlights are insane, but are we sure he's a legit SEC back 2-3 years from now? I wonder what real coaches say about him?

Cooterpoot
08-09-2018, 01:43 PM
I don't believe we're going to flip Ealy. I did at one time, but that's changed. If he decommits, then we can talk, but right now, I don't see him flipping. I don't know if Gray flips to us, but I believe he's going to flip to somebody, and we're in that mix. I also know if we thought we had a RB lined up, we wouldn't have just dropped more offers to RBs.
I won't be surprised if we offer Clark if we don't have a commit by Nov.

Cooterpoot
08-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Ealy is a 5-8 kid from the academy league. I know his highlights are insane, but are we sure he's a legit SEC back 2-3 years from now? I wonder what real coaches say about him?

Ealy is a freak of an athlete.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 01:52 PM
I don't believe we're going to flip Ealy. I did at one time, but that's changed.

This is frustrating because it runs contrary to the logic used to explain why OM is getting WR commits over us.

I completely understand why WRs would currently choose OM over us, but that same logic SHOULD help us in RB recruiting, right?

We are one of the best running teams in the conference & now have the coaches that just developed the #2 overall pick.

Lord McBuckethead
08-09-2018, 02:41 PM
This is frustrating because it runs contrary to the logic used to explain why OM is getting WR commits over us.

I completely understand why WRs would currently choose OM over us, but that same logic SHOULD help us in RB recruiting, right?

We are one of the best running teams in the conference & now have the coaches that just developed the #2 overall pick.

Boom. That is right. MSU didn't have the number 2 pick though.

Cooterpoot
08-09-2018, 02:57 PM

Our top rusher was 6th in the SEC last year. Our passing game was 7th. Not much difference. Take away the QB rushing yards and we weren't that special. We're talking RB recruiting. We've had what? 1 RB drafted in forever.

StateDawg44
08-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Wait so you understand the WR>OM narrative but you don't understand Emory choosing UGA?

http://panicfreaks.org/images/smilies/sein75.gif

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Wait so you understand the WR>OM narrative but you don't understand Emory choosing UGA?

http://panicfreaks.org/images/smilies/sein75.gif

Pretty sure we were talking about Ealy. Good try though.

Are you a troll? Always interesting when a low post count person comes on here talking trash

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 04:04 PM
Our top rusher was 6th in the SEC last year. Our passing game was 7th. Not much difference. Take away the QB rushing yards and we weren't that special. We're talking RB recruiting. We've had what? 1 RB drafted in forever.

Norwood, Boobie, Ballard, & J Rob recently.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-09-2018, 04:04 PM

I remember a MS academy running back being All-SEC over Brandon bolden, Vick Ballard, Mark Ingram, and Trent Richardson. If you are worried about academy level of play, then we need to quit recruiting 1A, 2A, and maybe 3A public schools. Which would be idiotic. Would have cost us Zo Miller, Jamal Peters (got beat by Jackson Prep), Jon Banks, Kaleb Eulls (got absolutely destroyed by MRA), etc. If guys can play, then sign them. If not, don't sign them.

Cooterpoot
08-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Norwood, Boobie, Ballard, & J Rob recently.

Most kids today have never heard of 2 of those. Probably 3 of them. Let's not act like we're pumping out NFL talent at RB on regular basis. None of those guys did much in the NFL.

StateDawg44
08-09-2018, 04:14 PM
Pretty sure we were talking about Ealy. Good try though.

Are you a troll? Always interesting when a low post count person comes on here talking trash

Must be a troll since I have a low post count. That seems to be your go to accusation. Why would I troll only you and no one else if I were a MSU troll? When does one's opinion become validated through post counts on the internet? This question is for anyone. Not just Shotgun.

You're the very person who brought up the WR>OM question to begin with. Not like I brought it up out of the blue or anything. Guess having your previous posts brought up and contradicting yourself calls for another deflection.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2018, 04:15 PM
Must be a troll since I have a low post count. That seems to be your go to accusation. Why would I troll only you and no one else if I were a troll? When does one's opinion become validated through post counts on the internet? This question is for anyone. Not just Shotgun.

You're the very person who brought up the WR>OM question to begin with. Not like I brought it up out of the blue or anything. Guess having your previous posts brought up and contradicting yourself calls for another deflection.

But you then responded to my post with a completely off base comment about Emery, who no one was even discussing.

RezDog7
08-09-2018, 06:46 PM
I think shotgun should be hired as recruiting coordinator. He definitely has a passion for it. Sorry that post count is so low; I'll keep trolling you to get my post count up.

BuckyIsAB****
08-09-2018, 07:43 PM
I remember a MS academy running back being All-SEC over Brandon bolden, Vick Ballard, Mark Ingram, and Trent Richardson. If you are worried about academy level of play, then we need to quit recruiting 1A, 2A, and maybe 3A public schools. Which would be idiotic. Would have cost us Zo Miller, Jamal Peters (got beat by Jackson Prep), Jon Banks, Kaleb Eulls (got absolutely destroyed by MRA), etc. If guys can play, then sign them. If not, don't sign them.

Why doesnt Prep play a 5A or 6A team if they are so good

BuckyIsAB****
08-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Most kids today have never heard of 2 of those. Probably 3 of them. Let's not act like we're pumping out NFL talent at RB on regular basis. None of those guys did much in the NFL.

They all got drafted was the point. I dont think Ealy ever plays CFB but people said the same thing about Ginn too so

somebodyshotmypaw
08-09-2018, 07:58 PM

I never said they were good. I said you don't judge the player by the team. You judge the player by their ability. I wanted Kaleb Eulls because he was a helluva prospect. I didn't care that his team sucked and got their doors blown off each week. If Ealy can play then I want him. I'm not going to turn him down because of what league he plays in.

Ealy's level of competition will make his highlight tape look better. Just like it did for a Dicenzo Miller. They didn't play at the highest level like a Norwood. But Ealy's competition is better than what Dicenzo Miller faced every Friday night.

I've never understood why people cite "level of competition" when we recruit an academy player, but don't mention it when we recruit a 1A or 2A public school player.

Cooterpoot
08-09-2018, 08:01 PM
They all got drafted was the point. I dont think Ealy ever plays CFB but people said the same thing about Ginn too so

And I guessed 1 recently. It was 2. The other two matter not. My point still stands we aren’t putting RBs in the NFL regulartly and our running game with the RB is middle of the pack in the SEC.

maroonmania
08-09-2018, 08:33 PM

RB, except for a few very elite players, has just become a cookie cutter position where players rotate in and out of the NFL at a very high rate. Its the reason very few warrant first round picks anymore. I will say though that it is a shame that Norwood (Falcons) and Ballard (Colts) were both headed for VERY nice NFL careers but both got injured. In today's NFL, if you get the least bit hampered with injury as a RB they just roll the next guy in and shuttle the injured guy out the door.

BuckyIsAB****
08-09-2018, 10:45 PM
I never said they were good. I said you don't judge the player by the team. You judge the player by their ability. I wanted Kaleb Eulls because he was a helluva prospect. I didn't care that his team sucked and got their doors blown off each week. If Ealy can play then I want him. I'm not going to turn him down because of what league he plays in.

Ealy's level of competition will make his highlight tape look better. Just like it did for a Dicenzo Miller. They didn't play at the highest level like a Norwood. But Ealy's competition is better than what Dicenzo Miller faced every Friday night.

I've never understood why people cite "level of competition" when we recruit an academy player, but don't mention it when we recruit a 1A or 2A public school player.

Fair enough. Good points

BuckyIsAB****
08-09-2018, 10:47 PM
And I guessed 1 recently. It was 2. The other two matter not. My point still stands we aren’t putting RBs in the NFL regulartly and our running game with the RB is middle of the pack in the SEC.

I cant remember how many of sherrills RBs got drafted but every one of them that started for Dan besides Perkins got drafted.

Thats a pretty good track record. Pretty regular occurence

Cooterpoot
08-09-2018, 10:54 PM
I cant remember how many of sherrills RBs got drafted but every one of them that started for Dan besides Perkins got drafted.

How many kids have ever heard of them? The last one was 4 years ago. None went early either. None did jack in the NFL. How many are still playing?
Our QBs will be better in the NFL after this year. We put out defensive guys. Top RBs don’t know us minus the new staff getting on them.

Cooterpoot
08-09-2018, 10:56 PM
Jarion Jones is going to be a great WR for us.

ShotgunDawg
08-10-2018, 12:01 AM

How many kids have ever heard of them? The last one was 4 years ago. None went early either. None did jack in the NFL. How many are still playing?
Our QBs will be better in the NFL after this year. We put out defensive guys. Top RBs don’t know us minus the new staff getting on them.

How many of them we're highly recruited?

There is a direct correlation between between being highly recruited and a high draft pick.

Todd4State
08-10-2018, 01:01 AM

You mean like Pearl, Oxford, and New Hope?

Cooterpoot
08-10-2018, 08:26 AM

There is a direct correlation between between being highly recruited and a high draft pick.

Norwood and Dixon were pretty highly recruited.

smootness
08-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Sure, but which is the easier sell to a teenager?

'Hey, look, our RB track record is not as good as other teams, but look at the recruiting rankings they had. It's because they weren't super talented to begin with. You are super talented, so if you came, it would be different and your talent alone would get you drafted. Well, and in our system obviously.'

or

'We get RBs drafted who have success in the NFL.'

??

Ifyouonlyknew
08-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Jarion Jones is going to be a great WR for us.

Co-sign

louisvilledawg
08-10-2018, 10:06 AM

They played pearl in 2012 and beat them. Don't think the big public schools would ever schedule them tbh; i'm sure prep has wanted to schedule games with them though. 5a and 6a schools have nothing to gain from playing Prep - if they win, they're supposed to. If they lose, it's an embarrassment.

Prep plays Forest this year. Would love to go watch that game and see how Diwun Black plays against the academy level talent.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Prep plays Forest this year. Would love to go watch that game and see how Diwun Black plays against the academy level talent.

Looking at Forest's schedule, Prep will be one of the better, and more talented, teams they play this year.

bulldawg28
08-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Which prep school does Ricky Black coach? Tupelo's finest