PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On MSU's 2018 Recruiting Class

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Now that the hay is essentially in the barn, outside of potentially a few project OL, that don't really move needle, I think it's a good time to kind of grade this thing out.

- First off, I'm a tough grader & not a sunshine pumper. My expectations are that MSU can become a top 20 recruiter & continue to ascend towards becoming a consistent threat in the SEC West. Thus I grade towards that expectation.

- It must also be noted that while the test is hard & some of my grades aren't great, with a coaching staff transition, our new staff was essentially taking the "recruiting test" with very little study time. So, in many ways, just passing is extremely impressive.

Here are my thoughts:

QB - B+: Mayden is a solid sign & SEC caliber starter.
RB - B : Filled a need with Webb
WR - A+ : Best WR class in MSU history. Can't complain one bit.
OL - D : I know, I know. You could argue an F here, but in some ways I consider it quality over quantity. If Johnson turns into an all SEC LT, then that is pretty damn good.
TE - A : Between Spivey & Cumbest, I think we signed a future all SEC TE. I just don't know which one.

DL - B: Crumedy, Lovett, & Robinson are solid. Add Pickering, Russell, & Moore next year & we have an another elite DL. This year's haul is a solid, solid reload
LB - C+: Watson, Johnson, Kilby-Lane, & maybe Brule are solid but don't move the needle.
DB - C: CB was a D & safety was a B. Solid players that don't move the needle but probably don't get you beat.

Overall, I give this class a C+ or B-. In the quest to get us to ATL in 2018, it really helps with the WRs. In the quest to get us to the ATL in 2019+, it didn't really do much to help us or hurt us.

However, in many ways, with a coaching staff turnover & a somewhat weak year in Mississippi, a C+/B- class is a pretty good effort. When Mullen left, this thing could've gone side ways & the 2018 recruiting class could've ended up being a class that were trying to overcome & hide over the next 5 years in the effort to take this program to the next level. Instead, the ship was steadied, recruiting was done, & MSU ended up with a class that won't need to be overcome to take the program to the next level. Granted, MSU will need better classes than this to go to the next level, but 2018 won't be a problem. Dan Mullen signed a few classes that were problems & this isn't one of those.

Solid job Moorhead considering the circumstances, but I won't be so kind if the 2019 class ends up like this one. Landing Lovett & Brule showed me that you can recruit & win hard fought recruiting battles. Now it's time to cast the net wider & still win Mississippi. 2019 needs to be a top 20 class for MSU.

Bully13
02-07-2018, 02:01 PM
How many of the top 10 in MS went to us?

KOdawg1
02-07-2018, 02:06 PM
How many of the top 10 in MS went to us?
According to 247, the top 6

MetEdDawg
02-07-2018, 02:16 PM
I would say this class is an overall B. We got the offensive weapons at QB and WR. OL was not good. RB is good with Webb. TE is very good. DL is very good. LB and DB are a tad scary. No immediate game changers at those positions.

But I say although the class is a B, Moorhead did an A job. Got us some late victories, held together the early class, and kept us in the Top 30. Considering where we were to start, I would say he did no worse than what Mullen would have done, and I think some could argue he did better than Mullen based on getting Lovett and Brule.

I think Moorhead and this staff will recruit very well. But on the OL and at DB we were already in rough position. Next year will be different. I think a Top 20 class happens, but I think we are setting up for a Top 15 class.

MzTerry
02-07-2018, 02:26 PM
Now that the hay is essentially in the barn, outside of potentially a few project OL, that don't really move needle, I think it's a good time to kind of grade this thing out.

- First off, I'm a tough grader & not a sunshine pumper. My expectations are that MSU can become a top 20 recruiter & continue to ascend towards becoming a consistent threat in the SEC West. Thus I grade towards that expectation.

- It must also be noted that while the test is hard & some of my grades aren't great, with a coaching staff transition, our new staff was essentially taking the "recruiting test" with very little study time. So, in many ways, just passing is extremely impressive.

Here are my thoughts:

OL - D : I know, I know. You could argue an F here, but in some ways I consider it quality over quantity. If Johnson turns into an all SEC LT, then that is pretty damn good.
TE - A : Between Spivey & Cumbest, I think we signed a future all SEC TE. I just don't know which one.

DL - B: Crumedy, Lovett, & Robinson are solid. Add Pickering, Russell, & Moore next year & we have an another elite DL. This year's haul is a solid, solid reload
LB - C+: Watson, Johnson, Kilby-Lane, & maybe Brule are solid but don't move the needle.
DB - C: CB was a D & safety was a B. Solid players that don't move the needle but probably don't get you beat.

Overall, I give this class a C+ or B-. In the quest to get us to ATL in 2018, it really helps with the WRs. In the quest to get us to the ATL in 2019+, it didn't really do much to help us or hurt us.

However, in many ways, with a coaching staff turnover & a somewhat weak year in Mississippi, a C+/B- class is a pretty good effort. When Mullen left, this thing could've gone side ways & the 2018 recruiting class could've ended up being a class that were trying to overcome & hide over the next 5 years in the effort to take this program to the next level. Instead, the ship was steadied, recruiting was done, & MSU ended up with a class that won't need to be overcome to take the program to the next level. Granted, MSU will need better classes than this to go to the next level, but 2018 won't be a problem. Dan Mullen signed a few classes that were problems & this isn't one of those.

Solid job Moorhead considering the circumstances, but I won't be so kind if the 2019 class ends up like this one. Landing Lovett & Brule showed me that you can recruit & win hard fought recruiting battles. Now it's time to cast the net wider & still win Mississippi. 2019 needs to be a top 20 class for MSU.

Disagree on DL and LB. I think we signed two all conference DL and 2 all conference LB (or extra safety).

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Disagree on DL and LB. I think we signed two all conference DL and 2 all conference LB (or extra safety).

I hope you are right

Tbonewannabe
02-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Does Lovett get in the rotation as a freshman? How many guys from this signing class play next year? I know the 3 Wrs play and at least 1 starts. Who else from this class makes an impact on the way to Atlanta?

bulldawg28
02-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Does Lovett get in the rotation as a freshman? How many guys from this signing class play next year? I know the 3 Wrs play and at least 1 starts. Who else from this class makes an impact on the way to Atlanta?

If he gets into the rotation this year he's a future All American and 1st round pick.

Tbonewannabe
02-07-2018, 02:49 PM
If he gets into the rotation this year he's a future All American and 1st round pick.

That is kind of my thinking as well. I doubt anyone gets on the field besides the WRs. Mayden runs the scout team barring some type of injury to 2 QBs which Coach JoeMo's offense isn't as punishing on the QB as Mullen's was.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 02:50 PM

Lovett is a perfect candidate for 4 game red shirt rule. He probably isn't good enough to play next year for us, but, with all the players we lose after 2018, he'll definitely have to play in 2019 & it would be nice if he had some experience.

I think Murphy, Whop, Guidry, & Heath are locks to play in 2018 with Kilby Lane likely contributing as well

HoopsDawg
02-07-2018, 03:13 PM
I really like: Whop, Murphy, Guidry, Heath, Dolla Bill, Crumedy, Lovett, and Spivey. 8 potential impact guys there. Hopefully, we hit on half of the remaining guys who I consider role players or developmental players.

Tbonewannabe
02-07-2018, 04:08 PM
I really like: Whop, Murphy, Guidry, Heath, Dolla Bill, Crumedy, Lovett, and Spivey. 8 potential impact guys there. Hopefully, we hit on half of the remaining guys who I consider role players or developmental players.

Is Spivey going to be a TE or DE? The guy is huge and seems like he can move. It would be nice to have a Gronk type player on offense for mismatches. Mullen never seemed to figure out how to use Thomas in the redzone but hopefully JoeMo can.

Commercecomet24
02-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Is Spivey going to be a TE or DE? The guy is huge and seems like he can move. It would be nice to have a Gronk type player on offense for mismatches. Mullen never seemed to figure out how to use Thomas in the redzone but hopefully JoeMo can.

I hope he stays at TE. He's huge and can run, good hands too!

Commercecomet24
02-07-2018, 04:12 PM
Anyone have anymore info on La'Damian Webb? The kid looks to be underrated to me. Looks like he could turn into a beast for us. I think he was a steal. Anyone seen him play in person or know more about him?

Tbonewannabe
02-07-2018, 04:12 PM
I hope he stays at TE. He's huge and can run, good hands too!

I agree, I think it is easier to find a big guy as a DE than a big guy who can actually catch unless he is a pass rusher like Clowney or JJ Watt.

Commercecomet24
02-07-2018, 04:14 PM
I agree, I think it is easier to find a big guy as a DE than a big guy who can actually catch unless he is a pass rusher like Clowney or JJ Watt.

Spivey looks really fluid in the way he runs. He looks like a receiver. When I saw his videos I thought about how big a playmaker this guy could be. Especially in Joe's offense where he uses the TE a lot and uses him down the field a lot.

Bothrops
02-07-2018, 04:35 PM

Here are my thoughts:

QB is an A-
LB is a B+

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 04:39 PM
QB is an A-
LB is a B+

In your opinion

Perhaps we have different expectations.

How can LB be a B+ without any 4 star LBs?

Percho
02-07-2018, 04:50 PM
In your opinion

Perhaps we have different expectations.

How can LB be a B+ without any 4 star LBs?

So this thread is just about grading? Using letters instead of numbers?

Percho
02-07-2018, 04:51 PM
Not only that but someone else's letters and numbers instead of your own?

KB21
02-07-2018, 04:59 PM
RE: Spivey and Cumbest

Over the past two years in Joe's offense, TE Mike Gesicki has caught 105 passes for 1,242 yards and 14 TDs. He's listed at 6'6", 250 lbs. He looks a little thinner than that and can't block for anything, but he's one heck of a receiving threat. He's probably going to be a 3rd round pick/4th round pick in April.

Jack Lambert
02-07-2018, 05:03 PM

That is how I grade food. B is better then A. A is for Ass because that's what it taste like. B is for Bitching because that's the adjective for something great.

Irondawg
02-07-2018, 05:05 PM
With Spivey I think you just look and see where he fits. If he looks natural at route running and shows good hands with the ability to block a little then leave him there, but if he's unblockable on the edge you keep him there b/c behind a good QB there isn't much more valuable than a great edge rusher.

Perpetual Underachiever
02-07-2018, 05:06 PM
Anyone have anymore info on La'Damian Webb? The kid looks to be underrated to me. Looks like he could turn into a beast for us. I think he was a steal. Anyone seen him play in person or know more about him?

No info, but I feel the same about him. Kid was the first junior to win AL Mr. Football and led his team to multiple 5A state championships. He may be not be the ideal size, but the kid is a winner. Looking forward to seeing how JoMo decides to utilize some of these "Winner" athletes like Webb and Murphy.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 05:09 PM

WTH are you talking about?

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Not only that but someone else's letters and numbers instead of your own?

Huh?

Todd4State
02-07-2018, 05:58 PM
My thoughts:

QB- Mayden is going to be a quality SEC starter after learning from Key. Played for Team USA in the International Bowl. A

RB- Webb is a Ladarius Perkins type RB but hopefully Joe has enough sense to not run him up the middle ad nauseaum. Alabama POY. B

WR- Guidry, Heath is an UA AA, and Jason is a four star that is maybe the best we signed and has a good relationship with Key. Add in Patterson in a couple of years. What we did here is a big reason why we could have a special season next year. A+

TE- I think it's going to be Cumbest. Typical underrated Mississippi recruit but will be a good player for us. Cameron Gardner is another player that will get a look at TE or WR. A

OL- Dolla Bill is the best o-line prospect to come out of Mississippi in a few years. He was an UA AA. Hevesy ****ed us over for the last time (thank God) by only landing Suggs last year and then slow playing Cole Smith. I'm happy that despite the misses here that Joe actually had a plan and was OK getting Kameron Jones and Cameron Young and understanding that is better than not signing anyone at all. Overall the group gets a B- because of Dolla Bill and the staff gets an A+ for damage control.

DL- Crumedy I think ends up at DE along with Spivey. Crumedy was a huge pick-up for us and is a four star guy. Robinson is underrated and was also in the Team USA International Bowl. But the thing that really impressed me was losing Lovett and then getting him back including holding off not only Ole Miss but also Dan Mullen. That's pretty encouraging for us going forward. Overall group gets an A.

LB- Jett Johnson is going to be a SEC starter. Nathaniel Watson is a good athlete that probably ends up here. But the biggest thing for me was landing Aaron Brule. That's a solid pick up where we beat out Arkansas and he may contribute right away at JT Gray's old spot. I'm going to give the group a B.

CB- Jaylon Reed made the Team USA International Bowl and Furdge is one of the best in the state. I think they are going to be solid in time as they develop. B

S- I guess this is where Marcus Murphy will play. I think he could play some for us next year. Shawn Preston is another typical underrated recruit who will probably turn into a solid player for us. A

K/P- Scott Goodman is probably the best kicker in the state and he can either kick or punt for us. A

BuckyIsAB****
02-07-2018, 06:04 PM
Giving this class anything below a solid B is harsh to me.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Giving this class anything below a solid B is harsh to me.

When weighted for circumstances, I agree

When compared against what we need to be a consistent SEC West contender, I’m not so sure.

yjnkdawg
02-07-2018, 06:17 PM
My thoughts:

QB- Mayden is going to be a quality SEC starter after learning from Key. Played for Team USA in the International Bowl. A

RB- Webb is a Ladarius Perkins type RB but hopefully Joe has enough sense to not run him up the middle ad nauseaum. Alabama POY. B

WR- Guidry, Heath is an UA AA, and Jason is a four star that is maybe the best we signed and has a good relationship with Key. Add in Patterson in a couple of years. What we did here is a big reason why we could have a special season next year. A+

TE- I think it's going to be Cumbest. Typical underrated Mississippi recruit but will be a good player for us. Cameron Gardner is another player that will get a look at TE or WR. A

OL- Dolla Bill is the best o-line prospect to come out of Mississippi in a few years. He was an UA AA. Hevesy ****ed us over for the last time (thank God) by only landing Suggs last year and then slow playing Cole Smith. I'm happy that despite the misses here that Joe actually had a plan and was OK getting Kameron Jones and Cameron Young and understanding that is better than not signing anyone at all. Overall the group gets a B- because of Dolla Bill and the staff gets an A+ for damage control.

DL- Crumedy I think ends up at DE along with Spivey. Crumedy was a huge pick-up for us and is a four star guy. Robinson is underrated and was also in the Team USA International Bowl. But the thing that really impressed me was losing Lovett and then getting him back including holding off not only Ole Miss but also Dan Mullen. That's pretty encouraging for us going forward. Overall group gets an A.

LB- Jett Johnson is going to be a SEC starter. Nathaniel Watson is a good athlete that probably ends up here. But the biggest thing for me was landing Aaron Brule. That's a solid pick up where we beat out Arkansas and he may contribute right away at JT Gray's old spot. I'm going to give the group a B.

CB- Jaylon Reed made the Team USA International Bowl and Furdge is one of the best in the state. I think they are going to be solid in time as they develop. B

S- I guess this is where Marcus Murphy will play. I think he could play some for us next year. Shawn Preston is another typical underrated recruit who will probably turn into a solid player for us. A

K/P- Scott Goodman is probably the best kicker in the state and he can either kick or punt for us. A

All of this evaluation stuff is strictly speculative as we won't know that till they get to campus and how they develop and perform. However this (Todd's) is a more accurate evaluation, based upon what is known now (IMO). ....... Some of our players are under rated for those who gaze at the stars. Brule is a diversified player who can also help in several positions. Jones and Young could develop into good SEC players down the road. Especially Young.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 06:23 PM
My thoughts:

Good list.

This is a solid class. I would argue your ratings are objectively a little sunshine pumper, but that's cool. I certainly hope you are right.

yjnkdawg
02-07-2018, 06:31 PM
DELETE

Ari Gold
02-07-2018, 06:44 PM
Murphy is going to get a shot at CB from what I have been told.

bulldawg28
02-07-2018, 07:04 PM
When weighted for circumstances, I agree

When compared against what we need to be a consistent SEC West contender, I?m not so sure.

Your contender statutes is incorrect if your using analyst recruiting rankings as your grader. Pure speculation and crazy. As pessimistic as you are of course you'd see less than average.
When was the last time State signed this many guys recognized and playing in national highschool games? When was the last time the Ms vs Ala game dominated by MS and ALL of the playmakers in the game came to MSU? When was the last time MSU signed a 4* or better in every position category signed with the exception of LB and CB?

This class is LOADED!

Commercecomet24
02-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Murphy is going to get a shot at CB from what I have been told.

I hope he does. I think he can be a lockdown guy at corner one day.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Your contender statutes is incorrect if your using analyst recruiting rankings as your grader. Pure speculation and crazy. As pessimistic as you are of course you'd see less than average.
When was the last time State signed this many guys recognized and playing in national highschool games? When was the last time the Ms vs Ala game dominated by MS and ALL of the playmakers in the game came to MSU? When was the last time MSU signed a 4* or better in every position category signed with the exception of LB and CB?

This class is LOADED! You should lay off whatever your drinking, smoking, or sticking yourself with.

I love the passion & certainly hope you are correct.

I'm not negative. I simply strive to earn credibility through a realistic viewpoint while hoping that the optimistic people are actually right.

I think Moorhead & co did one hell of a job considering the circumstances.

bulldawg28
02-07-2018, 07:15 PM
I love the passion & certainly hope you are correct.

I'm not negative. I simply strive to earn credibility through a realistic viewpoint while hoping that the optimistic people are actually right.

I think Moorhead & co did one hell of a job considering the circumstances.

Your not giving these players the credit they're due. We signed A LOT of ballers.

Dawgface
02-07-2018, 07:17 PM
So according to 247 we finished 27th and OM 30th. So much for probation meaning much.

Commercecomet24
02-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Your not giving these players the credit they're due. We signed A LOT of ballers.

Yeah I tend to lean this way myself. The players we signed in this class look quite a bit different than previous classes, save a few studs in each class. They?re some serious football players in this class.

Now how much work they put in to develop their skills to the fullest we shall find out.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 07:20 PM

I'm giving them the credit that the recruiting sites gave them. I've never met or seen any of these guys play live.

Hopefully they are as underrated as you say

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 07:22 PM
So according to 247 we finished 27th and OM 30th. So much for probation meaning much.

We finished 24th in 247s non-composite rankings.

QB is the highest weighted position & OM had a 96 rated player sign at that position while also bringing with him his buddy which is a 92 rated slot WR that looks like Dedrick Thomas.

Take those two players out & their class is trash.

With a 96 rated QB commit, you can only finish so low.

Their class & ours are not similar

bulldawg28
02-07-2018, 07:24 PM
I'm giving them the credit that the recruiting sites gave them. I've never met or seen any of these guys play live.

Hopefully they are as underrated as you say

If you've never watched any of them play how are you seriously rating them? The rating system is so flawed it's unreal.

Commercecomet24
02-07-2018, 07:25 PM
We finished 24th in 247s non-composite rankings.

QB is the highest weighted position & OM had a 96 rated player sign at that position while also bringing with him his buddy which is a 92 rated slot WR that looks like Dedrick Thomas.

Take those two players out & their class is trash.

With a 96 rated QB commit, you can only finish so low.

There class & ours are not similar

This! Take those 2 out and they?re in the 40s. Also we filled needs. They did nothing substantial to fix their defense and signed 1 ol.

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 07:27 PM
If you've never watched any of them play how are you seriously rating them? The rating system is so flawed it's unreal.

Agree & that's why we usually finish better than what our recruiting ranking says we should.

However, I'm already factoring that in. This class was a fairly normal Dan Mullen type class & with it, I suspect we'll see similar results to what we've been seeing (Outside of 2018)

ShotgunDawg
02-07-2018, 07:29 PM
This! Take those 2 out and they?re in the 40s. Also we filled needs. They did nothing substantial to fix their defense and signed 1 ol.

This

Additionally, if the 96 rated QB was a 96 rated safety or LB instead, they be much lower ranked as well.

Matt Corral was worth 11 points on 247.

Take him out of their class & they finish 38th.

Add him to our class & we finish 21st. See how this works?

Take Corral & his bunk mate Elijah Moore out of the class & they finish 40th

Commercecomet24
02-07-2018, 07:32 PM
This

Additionally, if the 96 rated QB was a 96 rated safety or LB instead, they be much lower ranked as well.

Yep, exactly. They have 3-4 Stars, we have 7. And how the heck Murphy isn?t a 4 is beyond me.