PDA

View Full Version : Better Woodstock perfornance

parabrave
02-06-2018, 11:09 PM
Was watching the Woodstock, smelly hippie, movie last night and was wondering who had the better performance:

1. Jimmy Hendrix
2. Santana
3.Joe Cocker/

I thought Cocker did. And yes John Belushi killed it.

Prediction? Pain.
02-07-2018, 09:57 AM
I should probably go back and watch the movie (or at least listen their respective Woodstock collections (I know Hendrix and Santana each have one, though I'm not sure about Cocker)) before answering.

But based purely on memory, I'm going with Santana, if only for the reason that with access to all three of those dude's Woodstock performances over the years, the only one I've gone back to over and over again is Santana. Specifically, "Soul Sacrifice" from that show. It was phenomenal.

There's an awesome quality version of that peformance available on Vimeo, but for some reason it won't embed here. So I'll give the link, and then below that I'll insert a crappier quality version of the same thing from YouTube:

https://vimeo.com/63053717

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBG6IaSQCpU

PassInterference
04-06-2018, 07:18 AM
Hendrix?s National Anthem at Woodstock was just a bunch of noise. Sorry.

AROB44
04-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Hendrix?s National Anthem at Woodstock was just a bunch of noise. Sorry.

Yep.

My selection for best performance....Country Joe McDonald - I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag

Bully13
04-06-2018, 05:06 PM
it's been too long since I've listened to Woodstock to remember who actually sounded the best at the event. that Soul Sacrifice video is some kinda kick ass stuff though fo sho. Carlos and the boys didn't come to Woodstock to 17 around.

Bully13
04-06-2018, 05:26 PM
This is bad ass Hendrix at Woodstock doing Voodoo Child. little teeth action towards the end to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPx-cL2t9TE

msstatelp1
04-06-2018, 08:11 PM
Gonna go out on a limb and say Sha Na Na.....

It's hard to pick out just one great performance but I've always been amazed at the mixture of bands that performed.

Bully13
04-06-2018, 08:21 PM
Gonna go out on a limb and say Sha Na Na.....

It's hard to pick out just one great performance but I've always been amazed at the mixture of bands that performed.

one thing that can not be in doubt is that those who performed were NOT 17ing around. they understood the significance of the event and acted accordingly.

Liverpooldawg
04-06-2018, 11:35 PM
Was watching the Woodstock, smelly hippie, movie last night and was wondering who had the better performance:

1. Jimmy Hendrix
2. Santana
3.Joe Cocker/

I thought Cocker did. And yes John Belushi killed it.

Richie Havens beat them all.

msstatelp1
04-07-2018, 08:44 AM
one thing that can not be in doubt is that those who performed were NOT 17ing around. they understood the significance of the event and acted accordingly.

Just realized I forgot **** when mentioning Sha Na Na. They did a good job but I always chuckle when they appear in the movie. Here's some of the greatest performers of the era and all of a sudden a 50's doo wop band. What a mix it was.

patdyeisstilldrunk
04-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Richie Havens beat them all.

I'm glad someone else said this. Not only was it the best performance, it was made up on the spot.

Liverpooldawg
04-11-2018, 09:29 AM
I'm glad someone else said this. Not only was it the best performance, it was made up on the spot.

Exactly.