PDA

View Full Version : After 7 baseball scrimmages...

HoopsDawg
02-04-2018, 09:52 PM
looks like the current starting lineup is something like this:

1. Mangum, CF
2. Stoval, 2B
3. MacNamee, RF
4. Vansau, DH
5. Allen, 3B
6. Hatcher, 1B
7. LA, SS
8. Gilbert, C
9. Jordan, LF

Foscue still in the mix at 3B as well.

Big news that both Keegan James and Blake Smith pitched well yesterday. Nuke Laloosh (credit to c34) was hitting 93 on the gun today.

msstate7
02-04-2018, 10:39 PM
New names to me. Cannot wait to learn about them

Choctaw Dawg
02-04-2018, 10:55 PM
McQuary is still a little wild, hopefully its just preseason jitters and he will mellow out. Really like his velo though.

Todd4State
02-04-2018, 11:03 PM
I would have thought that Allen and Jordan's positions would be switched but I know Allen can handle third base.

I don't have a good feeling about McQuary as far as this year. I think he's going to be one of those guys that figures it out when he is a junior. Hopefully I'm wrong.

messageboardsuperhero
02-04-2018, 11:05 PM
I think you are pretty much dead on. We may see Allen in LF with Foscue at 3rd, but your predictions are almost exactly how I see it. Hatcher seems to have taken control at first and Allen?s bat is probably going to be too good to keep on the bench. I haven?t felt this good about our offense at any other point this offseason. Freshmen look like they can contribute.

On the mound, if James is ready to start games for us that is HUGE and would make me feel very good about where we stand depth-wise. As you said, he pitched three innings this weekend and looked great. We could then move Billingsley to the pen to give us a strikeout type of pitcher with an elite out pitch. France could start midweek. I know the league is loaded with arms this year- but a weekend combination of Pilkington, Small, and James would be as electric as anyone as far as ?stuff? goes.

messageboardsuperhero
02-04-2018, 11:12 PM
McQuary is still a little wild, hopefully its just preseason jitters and he will mellow out. Really like his velo though.

McQuary’s fastball is more than just velocity- it has great action as well. Having a swing-and-miss, power fastball like that is a great starting point. The breaking ball is pretty good too... But his stuff is more than a little wild. He’s all over the place. Think Evan Mitchell 2.0. He’d be the best relief pitcher on the team if he figured out how to put the ball within a foot of where it needs to be.

BuckyIsAB****
02-04-2018, 11:22 PM
Rowdey Jordan is prolly one of the best names in MS State history

preachermatt83
02-04-2018, 11:38 PM
I think you are pretty much dead on. We may see Allen in LF with Foscue at 3rd, but your predictions are almost exactly how I see it. Hatcher seems to have taken control at first and Allen?s bat is probably going to be too good to keep on the bench. I haven?t felt this good about our offense at any other point this offseason. Freshmen look like they can contribute.

On the mound, if James is ready to start games for us that is HUGE and would make me feel very good about where we stand depth-wise. As you said, he pitched three innings this weekend and looked great. We could then move Billingsley to the pen to give us a strikeout type of pitcher with an elite out pitch. France could start midweek. I know the league is loaded with arms this year- but a weekend combination of Pilkington, Small, and James would be as electric as anyone as far as ?stuff? goes.

I wouldn't count on France pitching much for a little while.

AlSwearengen
02-04-2018, 11:57 PM
What about Jordan Anderson? He was the highest rated freshman that made it to campus.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
02-05-2018, 12:00 AM
What has happened to France?

Todd4State
02-05-2018, 12:07 AM
What has happened to France?

Elbow inflammation. A lot of times that means Tommy John surgery. But we'll see.

Todd4State
02-05-2018, 12:08 AM
What about Jordan Anderson? He was the highest rated freshman that made it to campus.

I bet he plays a good bit. We'll sort things out as the season goes along.

MStateDawg
02-05-2018, 09:11 AM
looks like the current starting lineup is something like this:
1. Mangum, CF
2. Stoval, 2B
3. MacNamee, RF
4. Vansau, DH
5. Allen, 3B
6. Hatcher, 1B
7. LA, SS
8. Gilbert, C
9. Jordan, LF

I'll be shocked if Tanner Poole isn't our right fielder. Cannizaro loves that guy's defensive ability.

Wet Dawg
02-05-2018, 10:35 AM
If Tanner Poole starts I will be highly disappointed. He's terrible at plate and one of the worst I've seen at MSU in my 40+ years. He is great defensively but I am hoping one of the young guys steps up.

VandelayIndustries
02-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Can Poole maybe I don’t know improved during the off-season? I know that’s a crazy thought

Ari Gold
02-05-2018, 11:01 AM
If Tanner Poole starts I will be highly disappointed. He's terrible at plate and one of the worst I've seen at MSU in my 40+ years. He is great defensively but I am hoping one of the young guys steps up.

Easy....

shoeless joe
02-05-2018, 11:03 AM

Poole's major issue is his swing plane, and inability to hit the curve...which goes hand in hand. If he could become servicible at the plate I'd take him and his D in the line-up. But something like that is extremely difficult to change at this level and age so cann would really be a magic man if he can pull that off.

The Federalist Engineer
02-05-2018, 11:31 AM
Interesting first lineup.

(1) Whats the deal with Dustin Skelton? This is a highly rated and drafted player, what are his areas of improvement to become a starter?

(2) How did Rowdey Jordan become an OF and beat-out Jordan Anderson?

Coach34
02-05-2018, 11:33 AM
If France is on the shelf awhile- look for Laloosh to be our midweek starter at worst. As another poster said- he is a swing and miss guy. Live ball.

Choctaw Dawg
02-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Interesting first lineup.

(1) Whats the deal with Dustin Skelton? This is a highly rated and drafted player, what are his areas of improvement to become a starter?

(2) How did Rowdey Jordan become an OF and beat-out Jordan Anderson?

Skelton is still in the competition for catcher, hear he is better defensively than Gilbert. Gilbert i believe will be a lock for the lineup as a DH, or catcher some days.

Backwoodsdawg
02-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Skelton is still in the competition for catcher, hear he is better defensively than Gilbert. Gilbert i believe will be a lock for the lineup as a DH, or catcher some days.

Anyone who has seen more than 3 scrimmages knows Skelton is lazy and his mind seems to be elsewhere, some tools are there but just no desire to be the man. If we played today Gilbert is your starting catcher and probably hitting out of the 6 hole.

The Federalist Engineer
02-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Anyone who has seen more than 3 scrimmages knows Skelton is lazy and his mind seems to be elsewhere, some tools are there but just no desire to be the man. If we played today Gilbert is your starting catcher and probably hitting out of the 6 hole.

Since your watching scrimmages, what do you see in Basham? Is he a future Cody Brown type of walk-on?

Choctaw Dawg
02-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Sorry, i'm just going by what I hear, I'd much rather have Gilbert in anyway due to his power is better that skelton's

bulldogcountry1
02-05-2018, 02:37 PM
After watching Skelton last year, it was obvious he had a long way to go, offensively. He was very flat-footed and all arms with his swing. If Cann can make him into an everyday starter in just a few months, then we need to write him a big, fat check. It doesn't sound promising, though.

Backwoodsdawg
02-05-2018, 09:36 PM
Since your watching scrimmages, what do you see in Basham? Is he a future Cody Brown type of walk-on?

Basham to be honest with you is probably the best ball blocker and quickest defender at catcher we have. His arm is average and where it lacks his quickness makes up for it on the throw down to 2nd. He needs to put on about 10 pounds of muscle. The biggest problem he is having is hitting at this level. He has a good swing but it looks like he needs to see this level of pitching a little longer to get use to it. He has a fire to him that I like too he gets after it and you can tell it means something to him so I look for him to just get better and better. And yes he reminds me a lot of Cody in a lot of ways.

Backwoodsdawg
02-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Sorry, i'm just going by what I hear, I'd much rather have Gilbert in anyway due to his power is better that skelton's

Don’t be sorry Choctaw that’s just my opinion heck what I think doesn’t matter but that’s just what I’ve seen out of him. I hope for the teams sake if he can figure it out then i hope he does.