PDA

View Full Version : Pink did a pretty good job on the National Anthem

RocketDawg
02-04-2018, 06:23 PM
Got a little carried away near the end, but overall a lot better than I expected. Didn't jazz it up all that much.

RougeDawg
02-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Knocked it out of the park.

Her vocal range is ridiculous?

Hot Rock
02-04-2018, 06:31 PM
if we keep measuring these performers to Whitney then they all will come up short, but if we just appreciate what they do, then we can be moved.

AROB44
02-04-2018, 06:37 PM
America the Beautiful is better .... by far. Always wished that was the national anthem.

RougeDawg
02-04-2018, 06:45 PM
America the Beautiful is better .... by far. Always wished that was the national anthem.

This.

When sung properly, America the beautiful is hard to beat.

whosyourdawgy
02-04-2018, 06:48 PM
She has the flu and was worried about having a voice so it was even that much more impressive.

GreenheadDawg
02-04-2018, 07:07 PM

This. Love that song. But I think both performers did a really nice job with both.

Doggie_Style
02-04-2018, 08:42 PM

Kumbaya is a nice song too and like America the Beautiful totally inappropriate for our National anthem...our freedow requires the fight necessary to keep it

BrunswickDawg
02-04-2018, 09:13 PM
Kumbaya is a nice song too and like America the Beautiful totally inappropriate for our National anthem...our freedow requires the fight necessary to keep it
You do realize that America the Beautiful, as well as My Country ??tis Of Thee and God Bless America, were all considered along with The Star Spangeled Banner when they adopt a National Anthem in 1931. It?s not some sort of sacriledge to think that either of the other songs are appropriate patriotic tunes to sing at events., or that they are better songs. In fact, post-911 it has become very traditional to sing one of the other songs at major events in addition to the Anthem.

Mutt the Hoople
02-04-2018, 10:51 PM

I prefer this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemG0cvc4oU

BeardoMSU
02-04-2018, 10:54 PM
I prefer this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemG0cvc4oU

Even better*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=810638fCvrQ

sleepy dawg
02-05-2018, 12:31 PM
You do realize that America the Beautiful, as well as My Country ??tis Of Thee and God Bless America, were all considered along with The Star Spangeled Banner when they adopt a National Anthem in 1931. It?s not some sort of sacriledge to think that either of the other songs are appropriate patriotic tunes to sing at events., or that they are better songs. In fact, post-911 it has become very traditional to sing one of the other songs at major events in addition to the Anthem.

I don't really like any of them much, but the Star Spangled Banner would be my favorite of the 3. I usually just find myself wishing they'd hurry up so I can watch some football. The last thing I want is more songs I have to pretend like I care about.

But back to the original post... I also thought Pink did a great job. She has an amazing voice.

thf24
02-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Pink did a tremendous job considering she has the flu.

Performing a well-received Star Spangled Banner in a large public setting is a tough job at present. Sing it too straight up and you'll be called boring (because frankly it's not a very interesting tune), but take even a little creative liberty and you'll be criticized for that too. This might be a little biased as I'm a former band geek, but I feel like the best way to perform and keep everyone as happy as possible in a sports setting is instrumental by a corps-style ensemble.

RocketDawg
02-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Pink did a tremendous job considering she has the flu.

Performing a well-received Star Spangled Banner in a large public setting is a tough job at present. Sing it too straight up and you'll be called boring (because frankly it's not a very interesting tune), but take even a little creative liberty and you'll be criticized for that too. This might be a little biased as I'm a former band geek, but I feel like the best way to perform and keep everyone as happy as possible in a sports setting is instrumental by a corps-style ensemble.

I agree with that, unless you have somebody who is just outstanding (like a Met soprano). The MSU band does a fabulous job at football games, and there's no need to inject "creativity". Remember when Jackie's daughter (tried to) sing it a time or two? That was horrible.

Dawgface
02-05-2018, 02:16 PM
I need to slide out from under my rock more often. I had never heard of her.

iPat09
02-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Makes me think of this

https://youtu.be/Xt3mSwp_wRo?t=1m10s

Bully13
02-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Ray Charles doing America the Beautiful . Hard to beat.

RocketDawg
02-05-2018, 04:18 PM
Makes me think of this

Hilarious, since it's SNL. Sacrilegious otherwise. Sadly, I've seen some non-parodies that are almost as bad.

BrunswickDawg
02-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Ray Charles doing America the Beautiful . Hard to beat.

I could listen to that and his version of Georgia on My Mind on loop for the rest of my life and be ok with it.

RocketDawg
02-05-2018, 04:20 PM
I need to slide out from under my rock more often. I had never heard of her.

You've probably heard some of her songs, just didn't know who was singing. She's quite good. A little "out there" like Lady Gaga and Madonna, but they all sing well.

the59dawg
02-05-2018, 06:02 PM
Makes me think of this

This is the worse I have ever seen or heard. What idiot in charge would have contracted this memorable event?

RocketDawg
02-05-2018, 07:06 PM
This is the worse I have ever seen or heard. What idiot in charge would have contracted this memorable event?

It wasn't real. It's a Saturday Night Live spoof of those who screw up the National Anthem.

sleepy dawg
02-05-2018, 07:31 PM
Hilarious, since it's SNL. Sacrilegious otherwise. Sadly, I've seen some non-parodies that are almost as bad.

Last I checked, God wasn't a citizen of America.

sleepy dawg
02-05-2018, 07:33 PM
I could listen to that and his version of Georgia on My Mind on loop for the rest of my life and be ok with it.

I had no idea he did not write this song. One of my favorites as well.... now I know.

BulldogBacker
02-05-2018, 07:36 PM
She has the flu and was worried about having a voice so it was even that much more impressive.

Exactly

Bully13
02-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Last I checked, God wasn't a citizen of America.

But he put us here for a purpose. And it was noble and good.

BrunswickDawg
02-05-2018, 08:33 PM
I had no idea he did not write this song. One of my favorites as well.... now I know.

It was written by Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell in 1930. Supposedly, neither men had actually been to Georgia when they wrote the song.