PDA

View Full Version : Soccer

Pinto
02-04-2018, 01:05 PM
I've gotten into Premier League soccer over the last two years, but I think soccer needs one change. Soccer needs a backcourt type rule. Once you clear midfield, you can't go back. Also, once you clear your own 20 m box you can't kick it back to the goalie. Those parts of the game bug me.

Anyone with depth of soccer knowledge please tell me why you go half way up the field and then kick it all the way back to your own goalie.

dalmuti
02-04-2018, 01:08 PM
on the other hand, go sounders

TheRef
02-04-2018, 01:13 PM
I've gotten into Premier League soccer over the last two years, but I think soccer needs one change. Soccer needs a backcourt type rule. Once you clear midfield, you can't go back. Also, once you clear your own 20 m box you can't kick it back to the goalie. Those parts of the game bug me.

Anyone with depth of soccer knowledge please tell me why you go half way up the field and then kick it all the way back to your own goalie.

Think of it like a reset. If you push it up and the defense has clamped down and bunches up that you can?t advance the ball, you back up and reset your offensive set.

If you spread out a defense (works particularly well in a 4-4-2 scheme), you give yourself options to kick deep and hope for a tip out front for one of your forwards to start a run-out.

If you were to establish some sort of ?back court? then you would see even less scoring opportunities due to the strong midfields and defenses tightening up into a defensive third stronghold.

CarolinaDawgs
02-04-2018, 01:17 PM
in order to go forwards you have to go backwards. -Landon Donovan

mstatefan91
02-04-2018, 01:37 PM
That's an awful idea. There would be 5 million stoppages just to "reset" because of a "backcourt" violation.

mstatefan91
02-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Think of it like a reset. If you push it up and the defense has clamped down and bunches up that you can?t advance the ball, you back up and reset your offensive set.

If you spread out a defense (works particularly well in a 4-4-2 scheme), you give yourself options to kick deep and hope for a tip out front for one of your forwards to start a run-out.

If you were to establish some sort of ?back court? then you would see even less scoring opportunities due to the strong midfields and defenses tightening up into a defensive third stronghold.

And this

The Federalist Engineer
02-04-2018, 01:45 PM
The only change I want is an auto review of yellow cards, red cards, and penalties after each match. If a player fooled the Ref, 5 game penalty

This is more a rule to improve tournament like champions league or world cups

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-04-2018, 01:53 PM
The more you watch and understand the game and it's dynamics the less obnoxious it'll get. I was saying the exact same thing whenever I was just getting into the sport.

Also, if you haven't settled on a team, I'd like to formally invite you to Newcastle United. If you love misery and infuriating ownership, you'll love Newcastle.**

The Federalist Engineer
02-04-2018, 01:56 PM

To answer you question, this happens when a team drives the ball forward beyond where they can retain possession. Think of a two player break away that gets swallowed up by 5 returning defenders. You can only connect with your 9 other teammates by going backwards.

Once you get to the backline of defenders, you have less margin of error to make dynamic lateral (wall) passes. It can be much safer for a defender to go back to a goalie. They rather get booed for being an uncreative donkey than creating a disastrous breakaway

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-04-2018, 02:00 PM
The only change I want is an auto review of yellow cards, red cards, and penalties after each match. If a player fooled the Ref, 5 game penalty

This is more a rule to improve tournament like champions league or world cups
The PL has given out a few suspensions after the fact this season for fooling the ref on a dive.

I would like to see it in Champions League and WC too, but even a suspension after the fact doesn't make up for diving and getting an undeserved penalty in those competitions because each game has so much importance.

The Federalist Engineer
02-04-2018, 02:01 PM
The more you watch and understand the game and it's dynamics the less obnoxious it'll get. I was saying the exact same thing whenever I was just getting into the sport.

Also, if you haven't settled on a team, I'd like to formally invite you to Newcastle United. If you love misery and infuriating ownership, you'll love Newcastle.**

Newcastle is like being able to choose any college football team and choosing USM

If you want to start fresh, pick a team run by Russian Oligarchs, Dubai Princes, or Asian Humsn Traffickers

Pinto
02-04-2018, 02:14 PM
I understand all that but I'm too much like Patton - "I don't like the idea of paying for the same ground twice." I just don't like a team starting seemingly every run by going back to the goalie.
Man U has been my team for a couple of years, but I like Tot Hot Spur as well. Saw the Spurs play Man City in Nashville. Soccer is much better in person, but I do watch a lot on TV. The last 8 mins of the game this morning was insane. I plan to fly up from the Tupelo airport and watch Nashville's pro team some once they get started.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Newcastle is like being able to choose any college football team and choosing USM

If you want to start fresh, pick a team run by Russian Oligarchs, Dubai Princes, or Asian Humsn Traffickers

Thanks, but I'm in way too deep. I probably caught 2/3 of Newcastle's games in the 2nd division last year on TuneIn radio. Supposedly our owner is serious about selling the club though, so hopefully its our turn to win the ownership lottery and become the unofficial club of the Chinese government or something along those lines.

TheRef
02-04-2018, 03:12 PM
I mean...if you don?t have a team and you want to cheer for a Championship squad, there?s always the Leicester City FC Foxes. We are rowdy. We are insane. And we are exciting. Plus we have JAMIE F?N VARDY

Dallas_Dawg
02-04-2018, 03:16 PM
A soccer thread on SB Sunday? C?mon mane***

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-04-2018, 03:24 PM
I mean...if you don?t have a team and you want to cheer for a Championship squad, there?s always the Leicester City FC Foxes. We are rowdy. We are insane. And we are exciting. Plus we have JAMIE F?N VARDY

Y'all aren't in the Championship yet, give it a few more years and I'm sure y'all will drop back down there**

TheRef
02-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Y'all aren't in the Championship yet, give it a few more years and I'm sure y'all will drop back down there**

What are you talking about? We will AT MOST go bottom 3rd of the table. If we touch relegation, we will escape again. The Foxes will retain our rightful place in the Premier League.

Newcastle, however, y?all can just drop down in the Championship. Or hell, drop down to League One.

DudyDawg
02-04-2018, 04:30 PM

Best comparison I could make would be saying that is like saying you should outlaw the HB dive in football. Someone new to football may think it?s silly to run the ball up
The middle and may ask why you wouldn?t throw the ball deep over and over. But we all know there?s more to it than that. Same in soccer. The value in going back and keeping possession/moving the defense is similar to running plays in football that you know aren?t going for a TD.

The Federalist Engineer
02-04-2018, 04:30 PM
A soccer thread on SB Sunday? C?mon mane***

Biggest game today was Tottenham visiting Liverpool, plus no stupid commercials

I’ve long hit the delete button on the NFL

Dawg61
02-04-2018, 04:31 PM
I have been watching a bunch of EPL this year. My only issue with soccer is players diving and refs influencing outcomes with false penalty calls. Like today in the Liverpool v Spurs match. Total dive at the end and the side ref awards a penalty kick over it with about a minute left in the match. So a win for Liverpool gets negated to a draw because the side ref makes a horrendous judgement call. It was clear as day the Spur made a dive and it wasn't a penalty. He should win an Oscar not get rewarded a penalty kick.

DudyDawg
02-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Also, humble brag, but I?ll be at Tottenham/arsenal saturday at wembley. Couldn?t be more excited.

DudyDawg
02-04-2018, 04:43 PM
I have been watching a bunch of EPL this year. My only issue with soccer is players diving and refs influencing outcomes with false penalty calls. Like today in the Liverpool v Spurs match. Total dive at the end and the side ref awards a penalty kick over it with about a minute left in the match. So a win for Liverpool gets negated to a draw because the side ref makes a horrendous judgement call. It was clear as day the Spur made a dive and it wasn't a penalty. He should win an Oscar not get rewarded a penalty kick.

We could debate all night but I think it was a penalty.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Seriously? I didn't even think VVD made contact with him the first time I saw the replay.

Dawg61
02-04-2018, 04:53 PM
Seriously? I didn't even think VVD made contact with him the first time I saw the replay.

He didn't it was a total flop.

DudyDawg
02-04-2018, 04:53 PM

Ehhhh i think it?s not a bad call at the least. Definitely made contact. VVD never saw him, but that doesn?t mean it isn?t a foul. I think you?d give it at midfield, so you have to in the box. Harsh, but certainly not ridiculous. The fact that the head ref and AR had a fireside chat before deciding makes it seem worse.

DudyDawg
02-04-2018, 04:54 PM
He didn't it was a total flop.

The contact was clear. Lamela embellished, but he was certainly kicked.

Dawg61
02-04-2018, 04:59 PM
The contact was clear. Lamela embellished, but he was certainly kicked.

Well it's clear as day that you were rooting for a draw cause this is one of the worst flops I've seen all year

https://twitter.com/Salahlicious/status/960217452247478272

DudyDawg
02-04-2018, 05:06 PM
https://twitter.com/c_hendrick/status/960228205398511616

I wasn?t rooting for anything. Different opinions don?t mean bias. It was soft. It was embellished. It was also contact.

Liverpooldawg
02-04-2018, 05:06 PM
Two of the worst calls I have ever seen, and it was the linesman. That guy has a history of doing that to Liverpool according to their boards.

DudyDawg
02-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Two of the worst calls I have ever seen, and it was the linesman. That guy has a history of doing that to Liverpool according to their boards.

Biggest gripe I would have would be Lamela offsides on Llorente touch, not the pen. He was well off.

Spiderman
02-04-2018, 09:01 PM

100% agree and have been saying it for years. Plus let em snowbird and fast break

Dawg-gone-dawgs
02-04-2018, 09:17 PM
That's an awful idea. There would be 5 million stoppages just to "reset" because of a "backcourt" violation.

Yes and God knows we don't need this sport to be any slower and longer.