PDA

View Full Version : 23 wins gets us in the NCAA

cheewgumm
02-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Buy or Sell?

Covercorner2
02-03-2018, 09:25 PM
Buy or Sell?

Buy. If not, raise hell. Yea, our OOC schedule sucked, but we only have 1 "bad" loss (@ Ole Miss). It's not like we lost any of those games.

We are also starting to rack up good wins and would continue to do that in your scenario.

Dawg61
02-03-2018, 09:34 PM
February and March are about to be fun again

msstate7
02-03-2018, 09:44 PM
We host #37 rpi bama and travel to #33 mizzou. This is a huge week for our tourney chances

Coach34
02-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Easy buy.

22 wins get us to 10-8 in the SEC. That puts us in. Have to beat OM at home tho- cant afford another bad loss to them

shannondawg
02-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Mizzou laid out Ky today, They will be tough, but we can beat them.

DogsofAnarchy
02-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Once again we have fans trying to raise expectations to an impossible level where disappoint can rule the day. Keep running those lines guys, you’re being very constructive.

This is a young team and they have already exceeded expectations of reasonable fans. If we make the NIT we have succeeded in reaching a level that has been a decade in the making.

cheewgumm
02-03-2018, 09:53 PM
NCAA is realistic. We need 6-7 more wins... it?s gonna happen.

I think we?ll be dangerous once we get there. We have cat quick guards and (2) 6?10 athleteic big men. Plus Howland is obviously a good tourney coach.

Fired up!!

dawgday166
02-03-2018, 09:54 PM
Easy buy.

22 wins get us to 10-8 in the SEC. That puts us in. Have to beat OM at home tho- cant afford another bad loss to them

Don't keep up with it like I used to and rules have changed some.

Why is a loss to an 83 RPI team at their place a "bad loss" now? I always considered a "bad loss" to teams below 100 RPI.

maroonmania
02-03-2018, 09:54 PM
Mizzou laid out Ky today, They will be tough, but we can beat them.
And AL just pounded FL on the road today. Nothing coming up is going to be easy.

Dawg61
02-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Don't keep up with it like I used to and rules have changed some.

Why is a loss to an 83 RPI team at their place a "bad loss" now? I always considered a "bad loss" to teams below 100 RPI.

It isn't that's what's impressive about our resume. We have no bad losses and that will be especially obvious when they put our resume next to other bubble teams. We can't lose to Vandy though and they are a scrappy club playing at home. Riley LaChance is a damn good player.

dawgday166
02-03-2018, 10:03 PM
It isn't that's what's impressive about our resume. We have no bad losses and that will be especially obvious when they put our resume next to other bubble teams. We can't lose to Vandy though and they are a scrappy club playing at home. Riley LaChance is a damn good player.

That makes a little better sense to me. Don't wanna lose again to OM tho.

Another question: If we have no losses to teams below 100 RPI, why do we need 23 wins then? Seems a little high to me.

At the risk of mentioning Stans again, when we missed tourney during his reign, seems like we almost always had a pretty bad to very bad OOC loss.

MetEdDawg
02-03-2018, 10:13 PM

Another question: If we have no losses to teams below 100 RPI, why do we need 23 wins then? Seems a little high to me.

At the risk of mentioning Stans again, when we missed tourney during his reign, seems like we almost always had a pretty bad to very bad OOC loss.

Going 9-9 or 10-8 in this SEC is going to get us a number of quality wins. But early season games have always mattered in college basketball in terms of resume comparison. Our best non conference RPI win is Dayton in the 110?s. 4 opponents in the 300s and only 2 of our non conference wins have a record above .500 right now. That?s going to hurt. So we need a marquee win or two to help. @Mizzou, Bama, @TAMU, and Tennessee all give us shots at that big time win.

So if we go 4-4 the rest of the way and win the games we should plus get a big one here or there, I think we?ve got a shot. But I would guess that barring a deep run in the SEC tournament anything less than 4-4 the rest of the way in conference keeps us out

dawgday166
02-03-2018, 10:16 PM
Going 9-9 or 10-8 in this SEC is going to get us a number of quality wins. But early season games have always mattered in college basketball in terms of resume comparison. Our best non conference RPI win is Dayton in the 110’s. 4 opponents in the 300s and only 2 of our non conference wins have a record above .500 right now. That’s going to hurt. So we need a marquee win or two to help. @Mizzou, Bama, @TAMU, and Tennessee all give us shots at that big time win.

So I knew a weak OOC could hurt you, but like you say here ... if no "bad losses" then 9-9 probably gets us in since conference is pretty strong this year. That means 21 wins to me (barring losing to Vandy), which is about what I'd expect. ETA: Probably do need at least 1 marquee win too.

ETA: Probably should get to at least 10-8 to feel more confident about it IMO tho.

Dawg61
02-03-2018, 10:20 PM

Because our OOC SOS is ranked almost dead last outta 351 teams and that's serious ammo against our total number of wins. We have to be ahead of the other SEC bubble teams in the SEC standings if we want to get in over them because the rest of them have a couple OOC wins that look better than anything we got. Stephen F. Austin and Dayton as our best wins doesn't compare to Arkansas beating Oklahoma for example so we have to finish ahead of a team like Arkansas in the SEC standings for the NCAA to put us in.

Maybe Arkansas isn't the best example as their RPI is pretty high but you get the point I think. We need to finish top 6 in SEC standings even if the NCAA picks 8 SEC teams. If we finish in 8th place they won't put us in but if we finish in 5th-6th place they will put us in.

dawgday166
02-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Because our OOC SOS is ranked almost dead last outta 351 teams and that's serious ammo against our total number of wins. We have to be ahead of the other SEC bubble teams in the SEC standings if we want to get in over them because the rest of them have a couple OOC wins that look better than anything we got. Stephen F. Austin and Dayton as our best wins doesn't compare to Arkansas beating Oklahoma for example so we have to finish ahead of a team like Arkansas in the SEC standings for the NCAA to put us in.

Maybe Arkansas isn't the best example as their RPI is pretty high but you get the point I think. We need to finish top 6 in SEC standings even if the NCAA picks 8 SEC teams. If we finish in 8th place they won't put us in but if we finish in 5th-6th place they will put us in.

Ok .. thanks.

Homedawg
02-03-2018, 10:38 PM

Because our schedule out ooc was awful. Had one tough game and lost it.

Homedawg
02-03-2018, 10:39 PM
So I knew a weak OOC could hurt you, but like you say here ... if no "bad losses" then 9-9 probably gets us in since conference is pretty strong this year. That means 21 wins to me (barring losing to Vandy), which is about what I'd expect. ETA: Probably do need at least 1 marquee win too.

ETA: Probably should get to at least 10-8 to feel more confident about it IMO tho.

At 10-8 I'm holding my breath... 9-9 and we are out. 11-7 in.

Homedawg
02-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Going 9-9 or 10-8 in this SEC is going to get us a number of quality wins. But early season games have always mattered in college basketball in terms of resume comparison. Our best non conference RPI win is Dayton in the 110?s. 4 opponents in the 300s and only 2 of our non conference wins have a record above .500 right now. That?s going to hurt. So we need a marquee win or two to help. @Mizzou, Bama, @TAMU, and Tennessee all give us shots at that big time win.
So if we go 4-4 the rest of the way and win the games we should plus get a big one here or there, I think we?ve got a shot. But I would guess that barring a deep run in the SEC tournament anything less than 4-4 the rest of the way in conference keeps us out
Zero chance we get in at 9-9. None.

RougeDawg
02-03-2018, 10:45 PM
If we play 75% of our games like tonight we will win 75% of the remaining games, opponents don?t matter. It looked like the light flipped on for Lamar 2 weeks ago and Howland?s handling of the situation appears to have opened Lamar?s eyes. There may be a hiccup or two but this bunch is finally getting it.

ETA. Holman is playing his way into the NBA. He is a mismatch for any big.

confucius say
02-03-2018, 10:49 PM

Basically this.

Coach34
02-03-2018, 10:49 PM
Zero chance we get in at 9-9. None.

Agree unless we grab a couple in the SEC Tourney. It's going to take 10-8 almost assuredly. 11-7 guarantees it. As 615 posted- no P5 school has ever been left out with an RPI of 40 or better. 10-8 almost assuredly gets our RPI up to 40- SOS is a non-factor

Todd4State
02-04-2018, 12:28 AM
Once again we have fans trying to raise expectations to an impossible level where disappoint can rule the day. Keep running those lines guys, you?re being very constructive.

This is a young team and they have already exceeded expectations of reasonable fans. If we make the NIT we have succeeded in reaching a level that has been a decade in the making.

How is going to the NCAA an unreasonable expectation for this team at this point? I think most of our fans would be fine with the NIT- including me- but we definitely should be shooting for the NCAA.

klong-dog
02-04-2018, 12:47 AM
Yep. I think with our non conference schedule, we'll get punished come selection Sunday, if were not 11-7. If we're 10-8, we'll have to win at least one, if not two in the SEC tourney.

Liverpooldawg
02-04-2018, 01:20 AM
February and March are about to be fun again

I hope and think you are right. I've even found myself in the last few days watching NCAA basketball that we aren't involved in. I only do that when we are good. Dang I've missed it.

Liverpooldawg
02-04-2018, 01:24 AM
Yep. I think with our non conference schedule, we'll get punished come selection Sunday, if were not 11-7. If we're 10-8, we'll have to win at least one, if not two in the SEC tourney.

The non-conference schedule will hurt us. That being said, we needed it. If we keep winning perhaps we can overcome it.

Bulldog1
02-04-2018, 10:00 AM
I’m looking for a top 40 rpi. The committee has never left a top 40 Rpi big 6 team out of the tourney.
But, with our OOC schedule, it will take 11-7 to be a lock. 10-8 and 1 or 2 sec tourney wins SHOULD get us in. It’ll be a fun February-March. Hailstate!

dawgday166
02-04-2018, 10:29 AM
I hope and think you are right. I've even found myself in the last few days watching NCAA basketball that we aren't involved in. I only do that when we are good. Dang I've missed it.

I'm with you on this for most part. I used to follow it a lot till about '07 or '08 time frame. In February and March I'd be watching hoops all the time. When I started getting out of sorts with our men's program, I faded away from watching at all ... even quit watching the tourney.

Not sure I'll get back into it like I was before, but in last week or so I've started watching some other SEC teams off and on.

BuckyIsAB****
02-04-2018, 02:50 PM
Im just glad its actually a chance it could happen again