PDA

View Full Version : OM football players disrupt school play

slickdawg
10-03-2013, 09:16 AM
http://thedmonline.com/um-students-football-players-disrupt-play/

DawgInMemphis
10-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Not a good look. I can't say that I'm surprised at the maturity level of 18 year old "star athletes" who've been coddled and entitled their entire "adult" lives. I hope Freeze burns them.

FISHDAWG
10-03-2013, 09:27 AM
wonder how many of those guys will not make it through 4 yrs

Political Hack
10-03-2013, 09:30 AM
this should be on Out of Bounds. It's ridiculously absurd that someone can do something like this and yell gay slurs at people while they're performing and not be held accountable for it because they're football players.

Freeze is training those boys to be good Christians.

notsofarawaydawg
10-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Freeze had one player apologize for the entire group. Bullshit !! About normal for the preacher and his flock. They are learning well from their master.

slickdawg
10-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Many members of an audience of mostly Ole Miss students, including an estimated 20 Ole Miss football players, openly disrespected and disrupted the Ole Miss theater department’s production of “The Laramie Project” Tuesday night at the Meek Auditorium.

Cast members of the play, which is about an openly gay male who was murdered in Laramie County in Wyoming, said members of the audience became so disruptive at times that they struggled completing the play.

According to the play’s director and theater faculty member Rory Ledbetter, some audience members used derogatory slurs like “***” and heckled both cast members and the characters they were portraying for their body types and sexual orientations. Ledbetter said the audience’s reactions included “borderline hate speech.”

“I am the only gay person on the cast,” junior theater major Garrison Gibbons said. “I played a gay character in the show, and to be ridiculed like that was something that really made me realize that some people at Ole Miss and in Mississippi still can’t accept me for who I am.”

According to several accounts, the football players attended the play because they are enrolled in a freshman-level theater course that requires the students to attend a specific number of plays throughout the semester.

The play’s House Director Lyda Phillips, who is a theater major and an athletics ambassador, became aware of the reactions of the football players and called a coach, who then called department of athletics Associate Director of Academic Support Drew Clinton to come to the auditorium, according to the theater department’s performance report.

“The football players were certainly not the only audience members that were being offensive last night,” Ledbetter said. “But they were definitely the ones who seemed to initiate others in the audience to say things, too. It seemed like they didn’t know that they were representing the university when they were doing these things.”

After the second act of the play and after Clinton arrived, cast members were told backstage that the football players wished to apologize to the cast after the play for their actions, which included “taking pictures of cast members while making fun of them, talking on their cell phones, hollering at the females in the cast and talking to other audience members during the acts,” according to the performance report.

“The football players were asked by the athletics department to apologize to the cast,” Ole Miss Theatre Department Chair Rene Pulliam said. “However, I’m not sure the players truly understood what they were apologizing for.”

The football players’ apology, which was given by one undisclosed football player on behalf of the entire group, caused two cast members to cry.

“I have been acting for seven or eight years, and a lot of that has been in front of young children,” sophomore theater major Rachel Staton said. “That was by far the worst audience I’ve ever performed in front of. It wasn’t all football players, but they seemed to be the leaders. If I can go support and respect the football team in their stadium, I feel like they should be able to support and respect me and my fellow cast members when we are doing a show.”

The Ole Miss Athletics Department issued no comment, but Ledbetter said he received an emailed apology from a member of the athletics department that expressed that they knew about the incident and would handle it accordingly.

Ole Miss Dean of Students Sparky Reardon was made aware of the incident Wednesday morning.

“I am extremely sorry to hear that this happened,” he said. “We are still looking into the specifics to determine what happened.”

This incident occurred just two weeks after the inaugural UM Creed Week, which honored the University Creed that begins with the words, “I believe in respect for the dignity of each person.”

“It’s ironic in a way. In (“The Laramie Project’) we address these topics of hate against homosexuals,” Ledbetter said. “What happened in the audience (Tuesday night) was the very thing we were trying to portray in the show. (The incident) suggests we have a long way to go.”

According to Ledbetter, while the majority of the audience was being disrespectful, not all members of the audience caused problems. He said that a few people even approached the cast after the show and showed their appreciation to the actors and actresses.

Ledbetter believes that more needs to be done on campus concerning discrimination against homosexuality.

“The unfortunate part of all of this is that I don’t think that the audience members that caused these problems really understood what they were doing,” he said. “Further education on all of this needs to be brought to light.”

The play ran Thursday through Sunday last week, and no incident like Tuesday’s occurred. The production will run Wednesday through Sunday this week at the Meek Auditorium.

Political Hack
10-03-2013, 09:38 AM
y'all tweet this, facebook it, etc... they need to be taught a lesson and held responsible for this. I'm offended that this happened in MS.

Bubb Rubb
10-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Even if you don't agree with a lifestyle or a political belief, or whatever, why would anyone be disruptive and disrespectful. They've got a lot of real solid individuals up there. This is what happens when you sell your soul on the recruiting trail - you get undesirables on your campus.

smootness
10-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Even if you don't agree with a lifestyle or a political belief, or whatever, why would anyone be disruptive and disrespectful. They've got a lot of real solid individuals up there. This is what happens when you sell your soul on the recruiting trail - you get undesirables on your campus.

Obviously the slurs are absurd, and that clearly isn't the setting to be yelling anything, but it is a little funny that football players are lambasted for yelling things at people trying to act, but if the actors went to a football game and booed or yelled just about anything, nobody would really care.

Again, different settings, but a little strange when you think about it. I think both are wrong, btw.

C222
10-03-2013, 09:49 AM
y'all tweet this, facebook it, etc... they need to be taught a lesson and held responsible for this. I'm offended that this happened in MS.

I've already noticed a few media guys tweet about it.

DawgInMemphis
10-03-2013, 09:52 AM
I've already noticed a few media guys tweet about it.

Geoff Calkins is talking about it on his radio show in Memphis right now.

C222
10-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Geoff Calkins is talking about it on his radio show in Memphis right now.

Someone get it to Deadspin or Clay Travis.

Entodawg
10-03-2013, 10:11 AM
This thing could blow up huge if some of those very aggressive gay and lesbian rights activists got word of this. Very bad press for Ole Miss. Wonder if any of ESPN's favorite freshmen were involved?

Jack Lambert
10-03-2013, 10:13 AM
this should be on Out of Bounds. It's ridiculously absurd that someone can do something like this and yell gay slurs at people while they're performing and not be held accountable for it because they're football players.

Freeze is training those boys to be good Christians.

It all depend on what kind of Christians he is training them to be, the ones who accepts all as gods children or the ones who condemn anyone who does not believe as they do.
I don’t which kind Freeze is.

C222
10-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Someone get it to Deadspin or Clay Travis.

Nevermind....Deadspin just tweeted about it. That was fast.

BulldogDX55
10-03-2013, 10:17 AM
What I noticed about it is that 20ish freshman football players are all in a 1000 level theater class. I know that football players are put into easy classes, but damn.

I do suppose it is so that they can lie more convincingly when questioned by the NCAA about impermissible benefits.

Jack Lambert
10-03-2013, 10:20 AM
This thing could blow up huge if some of those very aggressive gay and lesbian rights activists got word of this. Very bad press for Ole Miss. Wonder if any of ESPN's favorite freshmen were involved?

If so I hope he wasn't wearing the rediculous bow tie.

CooterDavenport
10-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Seems like their server isn't responding now.

engie
10-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Everyone needs to read the thread on SECrant. Some solid gold in that one...

BulldogDX55
10-03-2013, 10:38 AM

Gotta love people rationalizing that it's okay for a kid to be beaten to death because one person wrote a book that says that drugs might have been involved, which is contrary to the widely accepted actual story.

Pricks, all of them.

TheRef
10-03-2013, 10:39 AM

Favorite quote thus far...
"And the gays hate on the foreigners. "They takin' our jobs". "

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1257246/they-took-our-jobs-o.gif

Coach34
10-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Ole Misses gonna Ole Misses

bully99
10-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Breaking news ...Ole Miss has just called in their "bias intervention team ".Who knew of such a thing. Wonder if they're intervening in all the liberal professors biases.

CJDAWG85
10-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Favorite quote thus far...
"And the gays hate on the foreigners. "They takin' our jobs". "

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1257246/they-took-our-jobs-o.gif

They turk er jurbs!!!!

dawgs
10-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Obviously the slurs are absurd, and that clearly isn't the setting to be yelling anything, but it is a little funny that football players are lambasted for yelling things at people trying to act, but if the actors went to a football game and booed or yelled just about anything, nobody would really care.

Again, different settings, but a little strange when you think about it. I think both are wrong, btw.

well i'd think going to a football game and calling players n***** and other racial sluts would be inappropriate too, and grounds for an ass beating/removal from stadium/public apology (especially if a it's a public face of the university)

bully99
10-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Not even Wright Thompson, Rick Cleveland, Tim Brando,or the book of Mannings can save OM from the thrashing they are getting. Wonder if the media will point out that most if not all the players are black.

FISHDAWG
10-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Bracky to suspend 2 starters as atonement for Mississippi sins **

bluelightstar
10-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Wonder if the media will point out that most if not all the players are black.

Why?

Quaoarsking
10-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Why is it always Ole Miss who has incidents like these? It's never us -- it's always them.

bluelightstar
10-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Why is it always Ole Miss who has incidents like these? It's never us -- it's always them.

I'm not crazy enough to think that we don't have our own issues at State, but the difference is people at State would never consider something like that to be appropriate to say/do publicly. For them to be the 'polite society' school, I think we took all the manners.

bully99
10-03-2013, 11:47 AM
I pointed out the race of the football players because of all the hate on the internet accusing white rednecks in Mississippi of participating in this. That's why.

Quaoarsking
10-03-2013, 11:48 AM
I pointed out the race of the football players because of all the hate on the internet accusing white rednecks in Mississippi of participating in this. That's why.

Not a single article nor Tweet about the incident has said or implied the perps are white. Next.

smootness
10-03-2013, 11:50 AM
well i'd think going to a football game and calling players n***** and other racial sluts would be inappropriate too, and grounds for an ass beating/removal from stadium/public apology (especially if a it's a public face of the university)

Very true. But the article talks a lot about general yelling and disruption. Again, the setting is the obvious difference (aside from the slurs).

DCdawg
10-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Now they're going to have to come out with an updated, extended version of the 30 for 30 "Ghosts of Ole Miss" film.

curmudgeon
10-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Its probably Theatre Appreciation, the required fine arts course that the good folks at the People's University decided to give us Landscape Architecture Appreciation so we could at least learn what plants look nice in our yards.

AlmostPositive
10-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Gotta love people rationalizing that it's okay for a kid to be beaten to death because one person wrote a book that says that drugs might have been involved, which is contrary to the widely accepted actual story.

Pricks, all of them.

The widely accepted "actual" story is false. If you're a propagandist, the truth is detail.

http://www.npr.org/books/titles/227855286/the-book-of-matt-hidden-truths-about-the-murder-of-matthew-shepard

Jack Lambert
10-03-2013, 12:42 PM
1.KKK given permission to march on campus on game day.
2.Riots in the streets after Obama got reelected.
3.Football team creating disturbance during a play about a dead gay by using hate speech.

Did I leave something out?
Why don't our coaches use this stuff in recruiting? I don't care how much a mother loves Freeze they shouldn't love this.

dawgs
10-03-2013, 12:49 PM
1.KKK given permission to march on campus on game day.
2.Riots in the streets after Obama got reelected.
3.Football team creating disturbance during a play about a dead gay by using hate speech.

Did I leave something out?
Why don't our coaches use this stuff in recruiting? I don't care how much a mother loves Freeze they shouldn't love this.

don't forget about the recruit tweeting about the racist stuff on campus during his visit

ckDOG
10-03-2013, 12:51 PM
There is a link to the Bleacher Report article on CNN now. 2 thoughts: 1) Could get ugly if the story is true. 2) Bleacher report is reputable enough to be linked by a major news outlet? Damn, we live in a shitty era of media.

Harrydawg
10-03-2013, 01:00 PM
@JFowlerCBS: Wonder if suspensions will be coming down in Oxford. Colonel Reb more progressive than this. http://t.co/f4TuSNwoS6

C222
10-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Thread on SPS got locked after a few posts. Haha.

chef dixon
10-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Truth is this can happen anywhere. Many football recruits all over the country are thrown into some culture they aren't accustomed to when they step on a university campus. I think its pretty funny that this story comes out of Ole Miss, just because I know how badly it tears their fans apart to have to deal with it. There aren't many more vain fan base's than the Rebels.

TopDog58
10-03-2013, 01:37 PM
There is a link to the Bleacher Report article on CNN now. 2 thoughts: 1) Could get ugly if the story is true. 2) Bleacher report is reputable enough to be linked by a major news outlet? Damn, we live in a shitty era of media.
Bleacher Report is now the sports arm of CNN. They no longer are associated with SI.

DCdawg
10-03-2013, 01:37 PM
I wonder what Shephard Smith would say about this one since he's rumored to be gay. He never fails to mention Ole Miss if they are receiving good publicity. I'll bet he won't be commenting on this one.

dawgs
10-03-2013, 02:21 PM

cnn bought bleacher report a year or so ago and made them their official sports page, dropping their relationship with si. not sure why except that bleacher report was probably way cheaper.

Political Hack
10-03-2013, 02:31 PM
YouTube: Ole Miss Tradition

Political Hack
10-03-2013, 02:56 PM
I wonder what Jason COllins would say about this if it were to hit his twitter feed?

Jack Lambert
10-03-2013, 03:02 PM
It is on CNN I am surprise others have not picked it up.

Political Hack
10-03-2013, 03:10 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1797070-hugh-freeze-comments-on-report-ole-miss-players-used-homophobic-slurs-in-class?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2

I'll bet anyone here $100 that the fact finding mission takes longer than the weekend.

Coach34
10-03-2013, 04:37 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1797070-hugh-freeze-comments-on-report-ole-miss-players-used-homophobic-slurs-in-class?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2

I'll bet anyone here $100 that the fact finding mission takes longer than the weekend.

I bet it takes longer than 2 1/2 weeks considering their schedule...news will suddenly surface once the final horn sounds after LSU

engie
10-03-2013, 04:48 PM
It was on CFBdaily.
It just pushed to my phone through the ESPNCfb app.
It's literally everywhere now.

Ole Miss is going to have to act and act swiftly on this. The shitstorm is going to be ridiculous...

slickdawg
10-03-2013, 06:10 PM
I suspect 10-15 redshirting freshmen will be sacrificed at the altar.