PDA

View Full Version : MSU enrollment question or help

somebodyshotmypaw
02-01-2018, 11:07 PM
My wife and I are both MSU alums. We live in Mississippi. My son is in high school and has submitted his ACT score to MSU and a few others schools. He has a great GPA and ACT score. He's getting tons of mail from other schools. I'm not sure that he has gotten one piece from MSU. Nothing. He wants to go to MSU but is getting discouraged. Other schools are blowing him up with mail or emails, including some he didn't even send a score to. What's our deal?

mstatefan91
02-01-2018, 11:21 PM
What's he want to do? Engineering? Law? Medicine? Business?

somebodyshotmypaw
02-01-2018, 11:26 PM
What's he want to do? Engineering? Law? Medicine? Business?

Undecided, but leaning toward engineering. Perfect GPA, has taken AP classes, 34 ACT. Both parents are MSU grads and we can't seem to buy a piece of mail from MSU. He's spent tons of time on campus at games and such over the years and 90% of his closet is maroon. Auburn and others are loading him up.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-01-2018, 11:30 PM
Dang Hevesy....

mstatefan91
02-01-2018, 11:30 PM
Undecided, but leaning toward engineering. Perfect GPA, has taken AP classes, 34 ACT. Both parents are MSU grads and we can't seem to buy a piece of mail from MSU. He's spent tons of time on campus at games and such over the years and 90% of his closet is maroon. Auburn and others are loading him up.

That is odd. Has MSU even offered a scholarship? You don't have to tell me an amount.. But yes, I find this to be a bit odd

Commercecomet24
02-01-2018, 11:33 PM
It is odd. My daughter only scored 26 on act, she has a 3.9 gpa and State sends her stuff every week sometimes 3 or 4 times. Even sent her birthday cards.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-01-2018, 11:34 PM
That is odd. Has MSU even offered a scholarship? You don't have to tell me an amount.. But yes, I find this to be a bit odd

He's just a junior. He hasn't applied anywhere yet. But no mail at all. I find it odd, and disappointing honestly. Because he gets tons of stuff daily, even if it's just generic mass mailers, from other schools. Especially with us living in state and my wife and I both being graduates.

mstatefan91
02-01-2018, 11:52 PM
He's just a junior. He hasn't applied anywhere yet. But no mail at all. I find it odd, and disappointing honestly. Because he gets tons of stuff daily, even if it's just generic mass mailers, from other schools. Especially with us living in state and my wife and I both being graduates.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about it too much then. He keeps that GPA with that ACT score and applies to State next year... they'll be begging. Especially for engineering

somebodyshotmypaw
02-02-2018, 12:07 AM
Oh, I wouldn't worry about it too much then. He keeps that GPA with that ACT score and applies to State next year... they'll be begging. Especially for engineering

He's smarter than both his parents obviously, but I find our student recruiting on this behind the other schools at this point. That's my concern. Mass mailers come in every day from somebody. I just wonder why MSU doesn't do it to match others. Because he is noticing the void.

mstatefan91
02-02-2018, 12:15 AM
He's smarter than both his parents obviously, but I find our student recruiting on this behind the other schools at this point. That's my concern. Mass mailers come in every day from somebody. I just wonder why MSU doesn't do it to match others. Because he is noticing the void.

Education is not about mass mailing. I'm not sure why they aren't sending him mail.. it could be a mistake.. I'm not sure who you could call about that, but I'm sure there is somebody if you go to msstate.edu and look around. College is about making connections and doing what is best for your job opportunities. If State is that, then don't worry about how many times he received mail from them.. if it's another school, then great. Point is, mail as a junior for an academic scholarship is not the end all, be all.

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-02-2018, 12:17 AM
Fill this out. We did this my daughters junior year and get stuff all the time.

https://www.admissions.msstate.edu/request/

mstatefan91
02-02-2018, 12:19 AM

Thought there would be something.

Liverpooldawg
02-02-2018, 12:59 AM

It sounds to me like you had a high school councilor like we did. She was a hindrance, not a help. We had to do it totally own our own. Our son had a 32 and got a near full ride at MSU. At 34 yours should have at least that. The thing is you have to pursue it if you want him at MSU. The hard truth is that MSU is bursting at the seams. We want to be bigger, but the current infrastructure just won't support it. We are trying but it is what it is. If you want him at MSU you have to actively go after it. Sitting back won't help. Heck, with that ACT, just apply and send the score to MSU. He will get ample money, and it won't be a fight to get it. You just have to take the initiative.

Liverpooldawg
02-02-2018, 01:00 AM
It sounds to me like you had a high school councilor like we did. She was a hindrance, not a help. We had to do it totally own our own. Our son had a 32 and got a near full ride at MSU. At 34 yours should have at least that. The thing is you have to pursue it if you want him at MSU. The hard truth is that MSU is bursting at the seams. We want to be bigger, but the current infrastructure just won't support it. We are trying but it is what it is. If you want him at MSU you have tthe actively go after it. Sitting back won't help. Heck p, with that ACT, just apply and send the score to MSU. He will get ample money, and it won't be a fight to get it. You just have to take the initiative.

By the way, we never got mass mailings, or any other kind unsolicited, from MSU either.

Tbonewannabe
02-02-2018, 01:10 AM
It sounds to me like you had a high school councilor like we did. She was a hindrance, not a help. We had to do it totally own our own. Our son had a 32 and got a near full ride at MSU. At 34 yours should have at least that. The thing is you have to pursue it if you want him at MSU. The hard truth is that MSU is bursting at the seams. We want to be bigger, but the current infrastructure just won't support it. We are trying but it is what it is. If you want him at MSU you have to actively go after it. Sitting back won't help. Heck, with that ACT, just apply and send the score to MSU. He will get ample money, and it won't be a fight to get it. You just have to take the initiative.

If the school counselor is anything like what I had in a little town in Northeast MS, they will screw you over. She literally would only help you go to one of two Jucos, anything else was 100% on your own. My wife didn't realize she could have gotten a full ride at MSU but burned the scholarship on Juco.

Liverpooldawg
02-02-2018, 01:15 AM
If the school counselor is anything like what I had in a little town in Northeast MS, they will screw you over. She literally would only help you go to one of two Jucos, anything else was 100% on your own. My wife didn't realize she could have gotten a full ride at MSU but burned the scholarship on Juco.

LOL, you may have attended the same school. We did everything we did, right down to getting a REAL transcript to MSU, own our own. You have to take charge. Sitting back and waiting to be recruited doesn't get you much, if anything.

John Dickerson
02-02-2018, 08:09 AM
I am sorry to hear that your son has not received information from us. We want to do everything possible to encourage your son and all students to attend Mississippi State University. Please contact me at jrd72@msstate.edu or 662.325.1838 so I can get his information and see where the problem might be. We will get this corrected ASAP.

John R. Dickerson
Assistant Vice President for Enrollment
University Registrar
Mississippi State University

BrunswickDawg
02-02-2018, 08:40 AM

I was about to suggest this. I'll give my 2 cents since I just went thru this with my daughter, now a Freshman at State, and have a son who is a Junior in HS also looking at schools.

Not every school spends their recruiting dollar the same ways. Some schools like Auburn spend a whole lot on mailers to kids based on certain criteria. Other schools don't. The only guaranteed way to get a school to recruit a kid is to express direct interest to that school by going to their website and filling out the "send me stuff" form. Just filling out the school code for the school you like on the SAT/ACT does not work. There are too many opportunities for data not to make it into the "system" at any school. If you do that for State, you will get something about 1 time a month as a Junior. You will not randomly get offered scholarship opportunities unless you actually apply to State (August of your kid's SR. year), but you will get information about programs, financial aid, student life, etc. State's website tells you approximately how much money your child is eligible for - just based on GPA and test scores. Most of the money is not competitive, it is automatic. This is highly, highly, unusual in higher ed today. Because of this, it is costing me less to send my daughter out of state to MSU then in-state to UGA. Your kid, with those scores and grades will get a lot of money.

Once you get in the system at State, I can't say enough good things about the whole recruitment/application/orientation/financial aid/send your kid to college experience that our school provides. It is top notch.

civildawg
02-02-2018, 08:44 AM
I guess I dont get the mindset. If he wants to go to MSU why does he need mail from them? I knew I wanted to go to MSU so I just applied and got accepted. Does everybody need to be "shown the love" nowadays?

redstickdawg
02-02-2018, 09:06 AM
My wife and I are both MSU alums. We live in Mississippi. My son is in high school and has submitted his ACT score to MSU and a few others schools. He has a great GPA and ACT score. He's getting tons of mail from other schools. I'm not sure that he has gotten one piece from MSU. Nothing. He wants to go to MSU but is getting discouraged. Other schools are blowing him up with mail or emails, including some he didn't even send a score to. What's our deal?

I had a similar story with my son, very high ACT and GPA, over 30 hours AP credit visited the recruiting folks several times on campus and very little follow-up. very limited scholarship information, meanwhile Bama offers an automatic (based upon ACT) out of state waiver and full tuition for 4 years. A sad day in the redstick.

Lord McBuckethead
02-02-2018, 09:21 AM

My counselor was terrible, unless you wanted to go to NECC. They must have extremely low standards for that position. All I ever got from her was MSU so and so school was too hard to get into and they require a lot of work. Maybe you should go into engineering at UM. And with that, I knew she was retarded. UM engineering is probably one of the worst in the entire state for a D1 school.

Lord McBuckethead
02-02-2018, 09:22 AM
I mean, what is a guidance counselor's required credentials?

Cary Hudson's little bro
02-02-2018, 09:44 AM
I am sorry to hear that your son has not received information from us. We want to do everything possible to encourage your son and all students to attend Mississippi State University. Please contact me at jrd72@msstate.edu or 662.325.1838 so I can get his information and see where the problem might be. We will get this corrected ASAP.

John R. Dickerson
University Registrar

Awesome! I was just going to suggest you call John Dickerson directly (not an asst) if you are worried about your kid's recruitment. Take some initiative guy. John went as far as to join the board just to respond...will you respond to him or keep complaining to the board?

bostondawg
02-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Personal experience: I grew up in Louisiana and made a solid ACT score. MSU went as far as having two counselors physically drive to my high school (4.5 hours) to hand-deliver scholarship papers to students there. School made a whole ceremony about it. Put us in the library, I think State gave out 15 schollys or so, and then we hung around for some food and talked. It was a nice event. MSU recruited me harder than any other school I applied to. I think MSU has an excellent program for this, but sometimes people slip through the cracks. I actually became friends with my admissions counselor after I got there, and she told me a lot about the logistics. It's a really difficult problem. And it's very dependent on how good the high school is about marketing their students. My admissions counselor told me a story about a high school counselor who went to OM, and would intentionally market the top students from her HS to OM but not to MSU. Stupid shit like that happens. Not saying that's what's happening to your kid, but just trying to say high schools can sometimes be bad about that.

As soon as you start an app to MSU and write that 34 ACT score on the app, you're going to be swamped with MSU stuff.

bostondawg
02-02-2018, 09:51 AM

John R. Dickerson
University Registrar

Now this is awesome. Got school VPs on the message boards. REC can't touch this.***

Leeshouldveflanked
02-02-2018, 10:28 AM
I mean, what is a guidance counselor's required credentials?

The one at my son's school is a smoke show.... she can help your kid get admitted to NE or ICC but besides that you can't hardly get into see her because the baseball coach is always in her office.

Cooterpoot
02-02-2018, 10:28 AM
I've told you all. Our university sucks at recruiting students as much as it does athletes. Maybe worse. I've gone through this with several kids. It's a damn shame.

Liverpooldawg
02-02-2018, 10:44 AM
Personal experience: I grew up in Louisiana and made a solid ACT score. MSU went as far as having two counselors physically drive to my high school (4.5 hours) to hand-deliver scholarship papers to students there. School made a whole ceremony about it. Put us in the library, I think State gave out 15 schollys or so, and then we hung around for some food and talked. It was a nice event. MSU recruited me harder than any other school I applied to. I think MSU has an excellent program for this, but sometimes people slip through the cracks. I actually became friends with my admissions counselor after I got there, and she told me a lot about the logistics. It's a really difficult problem. And it's very dependent on how good the high school is about marketing their students. My admissions counselor told me a story about a high school counselor who went to OM, and would intentionally market the top students from her HS to OM but not to MSU. Stupid shit like that happens. Not saying that's what's happening to your kid, but just trying to say high schools can sometimes be bad about that.

As soon as you start an app to MSU and write that 34 ACT score on the app, you're going to be swamped with MSU stuff.

MSU sent a person to my son's school scholarship day and awarded it to him in person. If you take any initiative at all they will respond. You just can't sit back and wait for them to start it though.

Cary Hudson's little bro
02-02-2018, 10:47 AM
The one at my son's school is a smoke show.... she can help your kid get admitted to NE or ICC but besides that you can't hardly get into see her because the baseball coach is always in her office.

I bet you someone on this board knows who you're talking about...you prob just outed them haha

Tbonewannabe
02-02-2018, 10:52 AM

I am guessing your son goes to my old high school. Looking back, I wondered if our counselor got a kickback from sending students to NECC or ICC. Our only school trip was going to NECC. We had people from pretty much all of the schools in MS on one day in the gym but other than that there was zero information about college.

msudawglb
02-02-2018, 10:58 AM
I've told you all. Our university sucks at recruiting students as much as it does athletes. Maybe worse. I've gone through this with several kids. It's a damn shame.

I'm an MSU alum that lives in Huntsville, AL. I have twin boys. One applied to MSU, Auburn, Alabama, North Alabama, and Montevallo. He got hardly any responses other than MSU. They offered him a total of $66,000 in scholarships (most covering out of state tuition). My other son applied to Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida (all due to his major of Marine Biology). He's getting a full ride to Auburn, but he still got a lot of mail from MSU even though he didn't apply there.

MSU recruits the state of Alabama really hard. A lot of my coworkers who are Auburn, Alabama, and Georgia Tech grads are sending their kids to MSU due to the scholarship offers.

BrunswickDawg
02-02-2018, 10:58 AM

And I've gone thru it with 2 kids, plus myself, all as out of state recruits - and you can see my thoughts about it in my previous post. It is a numbers game because no school has the ability to recruit every kid. The involvement and level of interest from the student can be the determining factor.

bostondawg
02-02-2018, 11:10 AM
I think the responses in this thread show that it's a very varied experience. It's not fair to generally say that MSU is good or bad at recruiting students--everyone has unique experiences.

02-02-2018, 11:13 AM
I guess I dont get the mindset. If he wants to go to MSU why does he need mail from them? I knew I wanted to go to MSU so I just applied and got accepted. Does everybody need to be "shown the love" nowadays?
I'm with you. I understand it in a small way, but as an alumnus, you really need to be active in helping the school, rather than waiting on the school to help you.

02-02-2018, 11:14 AM
You are terribly negative. Why don't you send that John Dickerson guy an email and tell him exactly what you think, from your own personal email address? That would mean a good bit more than simply anonymously complaining.

If you truly care about MSU, help the cause! If you are not going to do it, and you have direct experience with something that you feel is not right, who WILL??

MedDawg
02-02-2018, 11:47 AM

Print out this pic and say it's from State. Technically, that would be true.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/VMwyztPFJncDdg5FPMT0zXtp-aw=/70x299:498x584/1200x800/filters:focal(70x299:498x584)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/11273801/screen_shot_2013-04-02_at_9.27.46_am.0.png

Westdawg
02-02-2018, 12:32 PM

John R. Dickerson
University Registrar

BOOM 💥
if anyone was wondering if our admin reads MSU boards.....there ya go

Jack Lambert
02-02-2018, 12:35 PM
If he wants into State he can get in.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-02-2018, 02:19 PM

John R. Dickerson
University Registrar

Wow. I will definitely be contacting you. Thank you very much.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-02-2018, 02:28 PM

That's fair. And that opinion doesn't offend me. But remember, just because he wants MSU, doesn't mean MSU wants him. For instance I wanted to play basketball at MSU, but I needed them to reciprocate the interest. Evidently, Bob Boyd wasn't looking for 5'8" small forwards who were quick, but couldn't shoot or dribble. Honestly, I was wondering if MSU was even interested, even though they were one of only 3 schools where he has submitted and ACT. And I was curious if others had the same problem. Was this an isolated issue or was this the way we recruit prospective students? That is why I was asking. Remember that most guys don't want to date a girl that doesn't like them in return.

redstickdawg
02-02-2018, 03:05 PM
That's fair. And that opinion doesn't offend me. But remember, just because he wants MSU, doesn't mean MSU wants him. For instance I wanted to play basketball at MSU, but I needed them to reciprocate the interest. Evidently, Bob Boyd wasn't looking for 5'8" small forwards who were quick, but couldn't shoot or dribble. Honestly, I was wondering if MSU was even interested, even though they were one of only 3 schools where he has submitted and ACT. And I was curious if others had the same problem. Was this an isolated issue or was this the way we recruit prospective students? That is why I was asking. Remember that most guys don't want to date a girl that doesn't like them in return.

In our case this unfortunately sounds all too familiar. My son had applied for scholarships and was told that he would not hear anything from State until after the Bama cutoff date. In his case he went with the in hand scholarship from bama rather than wait for an uncertain offer from MSU. our timing (MSU) was terrible at best, he also got many calls from bama and was essentially ignored by MSU.

msudawglb
02-02-2018, 03:15 PM

If any kid makes the GPA and the ACT score, then it doesn't matter if they are lazy, aren't enrolled in any extracurricular activities, and never leave the house....they will get a scholarship if they have the GPA and the ACT score. The reason you son isn't getting the mail is just because he's a junior.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-02-2018, 04:38 PM
If any kid makes the GPA and the ACT score, then it doesn't matter if they are lazy, aren't enrolled in any extracurricular activities, and never leave the house....they will get a scholarship if they have the GPA and the ACT score. The reason you son isn't getting the mail is just because he's a junior.

Fair enough and possibly very true. I was just curious because he gets stacks of mail from other colleges/universities. Didn't know if that was normal or not. For instance Auburn is flooding him with interest. I didn't know if Auburn has a different strategy or what. Maybe Auburn needs to add enrollment and MSU needs to trim enrollment, so they recruit differently. I don't know. Just curious why some places do it differently than others. This is my oldest kid, so I'm new to the process.

And I'm very appreciative of Mr. Dickerson with MSU.

BrunswickDawg
02-02-2018, 05:22 PM
Fair enough and possibly very true. I was just curious because he gets stacks of mail from other colleges/universities. Didn't know if that was normal or not. For instance Auburn is flooding him with interest. I didn't know if Auburn has a different strategy or what. Maybe Auburn needs to add enrollment and MSU needs to trim enrollment, so they recruit differently. I don't know. Just curious why some places do it differently than others. This is my oldest kid, so I'm new to the process.

And I'm very appreciative of Mr. Dickerson with MSU.
Auburn floods kids with mail. Both mine got lots of stuff from Auburn. UGA doesn?t flood - my kids (living in GA) got about 3 pieces of mail from them combined - and my son has been going to various camps/activities there since he was 10. They get the most mail from Valdosta State - because our county sends a load of kids there. Some school mine info from the 7th grade whiz kids that take the SAT in the Duke program, others get info from the PSAT and National Merit program. Every school is different, and operates on a different schedule. My daughter had applied and been accepted at State 2 months before UGAs application process even opens. She had applied for and been offered scholarships at State before UGA even announces early acceptance.

Liverpooldawg
02-02-2018, 06:49 PM
Auburn floods kids with mail. Both mine got lots of stuff from Auburn. UGA doesn?t flood - my kids (living in GA) got about 3 pieces of mail from them combined - and my son has been going to various camps/activities there since he was 10. They get the most mail from Valdosta State - because our county sends a load of kids there. Some school mine info from the 7th grade whiz kids that take the SAT in the Duke program, others get info from the PSAT and National Merit program. Every school is different, and operates on a different schedule. My daughter had applied and been accepted at State 2 months before UGAs application process even opens. She had applied for and been offered scholarships at State before UGA even announces early acceptance.

We got a ton from Auburn too, more than anyone. The three places we actullay visited didn't send much at all, MSU, Georgia Tech, and UAH. The Auburn stuff was just fluff. The stuff from those three was brief and to the point.

Goldendawg
02-02-2018, 06:58 PM
I'm a '77 State grad and family has had season FB tickets for 50 plus years. My son is a HS Jr and will take his ACT this month. He has been getting mail from State regularly and its different academic programs for several months. Also getting mail from NEMCC, Ms College, Blue Mountain, etc. Hope your issue is cleared up soon! Hail State!

MetEdDawg
02-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Public school counselors are getting worse and worse at this for a multitude of reasons. Rising numbers of special ed cases and having to work on creating schedules for the following school year for kids takes the majority of it. So I wouldn?t count on their help.

As a teacher, I?ve made it abundantly clear to my kids to come to me for college help and not the counselors. And that?s partly why my school in central Alabama sent 10 kids to MSU last year and is going to send more this year. From what I?ve seen, MSU is falling behind on communication out of state. In Alabama, our state accountability measure is the ACT. So that means schools are pushing more and more sophomores and juniors to take the test.

MSU better be on top of that or they are going to get left behind while other schools take potentially great fits for MSU. But I will say that once I had a lengthy conversation with the recruiter MSU sent to one of our college nights about how MSU needs to pick it up at our school, they?ve done a better job at getting stuff to our kids.

sleepy dawg
02-02-2018, 08:10 PM
If he's considering engineering or computer science and lives in MS, he'd be a fool to not go to MSU. Recruitment is just a sales pitch. You have to see through that to the product that's best for you.

Mimi's Babies
02-03-2018, 10:03 PM

I am curious as to why the honors college has not contacted NB him. That ,34 Act is a free ride. Did he include MSU as a college of choice on his ACT?

somebodyshotmypaw
02-03-2018, 10:07 PM
I am curious as to why the honors college has not contacted NB him. That ,34 Act is a free ride. Did he include MSU as a college of choice on his ACT?

Yes. College of choice on ACT were MSU, Auburn, and one other (GA Tech I think).

Mimi's Babies
02-03-2018, 10:13 PM
Yes. College of choice on ACT were MSU, Auburn, and one other (GA Tech I think).

If he's interested in chemistry send me a PM. I know who to get the info to in that department. If you are applying for scholarship please note that many cut off dates are in the fall. Look into those also.

IMissJack
02-03-2018, 10:13 PM
I am amazed that I hear stories like this from time to time. I get enough useless mail from MSU alumni association, Giving, Bulldog Club, etc. that you would think truly useful mail, such as contacting this student would be a priority. For example, I got about 5 cards around Christmas from various sources at MSU.

Mimi's Babies
02-03-2018, 10:17 PM
If he's interested in chemistry send me a PM. I know who to get the info to in that department. If you are applying for scholarship please note that many cut off dates are in the fall. Look into those also.

Is your son going g to graduate in December 2018 or May 2019.?

MagicDawg
02-03-2018, 10:27 PM
If you still have interest, please message me directly. Thanks.