PDA

View Full Version : Dan Van Cleve is dead???

Thick
10-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Bobsacamano on the Pack is reporting that he is dead. Anybody confirm this?

Coach34
10-03-2013, 08:22 AM
I dated a chick a few years back that had dated him also awhile. Said he had some kind of serious stomach problem or something. This was about 7 years ago

Rick Danko
10-03-2013, 08:29 AM
For those of us that don't know.... Who?

Coach34
10-03-2013, 08:31 AM
played CF on the 85 CWS team...became a Dr after minor league ball was over

hells bells
10-03-2013, 08:38 AM
played CF on the 85 CWS team...became a Dr after minor league ball was over

Cardiologist in Meridian for several years then moved to Jackson. Nice guy but had some issues in his personal life.

Saltydog
10-03-2013, 08:47 AM
or so. At that time he was practicing in Memphis and was leaving there to practice at some esteemed hospital in New York.

Thick
10-03-2013, 08:50 AM
He went out with my little sister when he was practicing in Meridian. I liked Dan a lot, nice, grounded, smart guy....damn good CFer!!!

hells bells
10-03-2013, 08:54 AM
or so. At that time he was practicing in Memphis and was leaving there to practice at some esteemed hospital in New York.

I hope the news of his death is not true, but hearing he was doing well in his professional career was good to learn. Once again very nice guy.

Thick
10-03-2013, 08:59 AM
I cannot find any confirmation of this anywhere...anybody???

maroonmania
10-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Bobsacamano on the Pack is reporting that he is dead. Anybody confirm this?

Gosh, hope its not true. But my number one memory of Dan (besides him being a great defensive centerfielder) was in the last regular season SEC series of the year in 1985 against Ole Miss he hit a walk off home run right down the left field line to complete the sweep at the Dude. Sweet!!

elitedawgs
10-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Danny P. Smith ‏@sdndannyp (https://twitter.com/sdndannyp)6m (https://twitter.com/sdndannyp/status/385805036795604993)
Just learned that former Mississippi State baseball player Dan Van Cleve was found dead this morning in Jackson. A big loss for MSU family.

Coach34
10-03-2013, 11:48 AM
that sux- he couldnt have been older than 50

CJDAWG85
10-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Sad news

Maroon Blood
10-03-2013, 12:15 PM
I am crushed and devastated. Dan died of natural causes this morning. They think it was an aneurism. Dan was one of my best childhood friends, playing ball in the neighborhood every day, our Choctaw Little League All-Star team winning the City of Jackson Championship when were 12 years-old, our trip to the Astrodome to watch the Astros play the Mets and “Say Hey” Willie Mays, wrecking my old Maverick Grabber the first night I had my driver’s license, and so on and so on…. We had reconnected over the last few months, and he just saved my mother-in-law's life performing successful cancer surgery two weeks ago. Not only was Dan a true and loyal friend and a caring and loving person with a sense of humor, he was one of the greatest baseball players in the history of MSU. I think he is still our all-time run scoring leader. He also QB'ed Jackson Prep to a state championship in 1980. Please pray for his sweet Mom, Peggy, and his brother, Early. God, I pray that You be with his family.

maroonmania
10-03-2013, 12:18 PM
that sux- he couldnt have been older than 50

so that would put him right at 50.

Coach34
10-03-2013, 12:30 PM
I am crushed and devastated. Dan died of natural causes this morning. They think it was an aneurism. Dan was one of my best childhood friends, playing ball in the neighborhood every day, our Choctaw Little League All-Star team winning the City of Jackson Championship when were 12 years-old, our trip to the Astrodome to watch the Astros play the Mets and “Say Hey” Willie Mays, wrecking my old Maverick Grabber the first night I had my driver’s license, and so on and so on…. We had reconnected over the last few months, and he just saved my mother-in-law's life performing successful cancer surgery two weeks ago. Not only was Dan a true and loyal friend and a caring and loving person with a sense of humor, he was one of the greatest baseball players in the history of MSU. I think he is still our all-time run scoring leader. He also QB'ed Jackson Prep to a state championship in 1980. Please pray for his sweet Mom, Peggy, and his brother, Early. God, I pray that You be with his family.

thanks for sharing...tough to lose friends and family. DVC had a big impact on the field and then in everyday life as a surgeon. He will certainly be missed

BulldogBruce
10-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Bill Cosby had a routine about getting older and how old people start conversations with "you know who died the other day?". Hard to believe I am getting there.

I haven't seen Dan in many years and only knew him for the one year in 1982. I just want to express my condolences to those that were close to him and say goodbye to an old teammate.

Coach34
10-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Glad to have you over here BC- hate it is under these circumstances

BulldogBruce
10-03-2013, 02:45 PM
I don't tend to look for forums, but I was trying to get more info about Dan and the google search guided me here.

bully99
10-03-2013, 04:14 PM
For those of us who got to see those teams it was a real treat. I think from 1979 thru 1985 were the most enjoyable years for State Baseball. So many great players and good times. Nobody in the country had crowds like we had except maybe Texas. Horrible facility but the lfl and good baseball made up for it. Three college world series and two regional finals, Amazing that Polk wasn't even more successful. Bruce loved watching you play. You and Gallespie were thunder and lightning before palmeiro and clark.

Bill Payer
10-03-2013, 04:51 PM
I too grew up with him playing ball together and not living more than a couple of blocks over. Pray for his Mother and brother.