PDA

View Full Version : SEC $ - Each school gets $40.9 million

BrunswickDawg
02-01-2018, 03:47 PM
$40.9 million reasons it's good to be in the SEC - http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/22288788/sec-generated-5969-million-revenue-2016-17

StThierry
02-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Each school not named Ole Miss?

Leeshouldveflanked
02-01-2018, 04:09 PM
I don't think that figure includes Bowl money

Lord McBuckethead
02-01-2018, 04:11 PM
I thought UM still got their money, they just have to wait for it until sanctions are off.

IMissJack
02-01-2018, 06:50 PM
I thought UM still got their money, they just have to wait for it until sanctions are off.

I think they lose some of it.

WSOPdawg
02-01-2018, 07:15 PM
I think they lose some of it.

Like they "lose" the Sugar Bowl victory to forfeit due to their ncaa penalties?

msbulldog
02-01-2018, 07:37 PM
The lose 50%, and they won't get any until their probation is over, 5 years.

TUSK
02-01-2018, 08:26 PM
$40.9 million reasons it's good to be in the SEC - http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/22288788/sec-generated-5969-million-revenue-2016-17

https://i.imgflip.com/h8mh5.jpg

Dawg61
02-01-2018, 09:47 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/h8mh5.jpg

If Alabama wasn't an SEC member we'd all get more money not less

sandwolf
02-01-2018, 10:18 PM
The lose 50%, and they won't get any until their probation is over, 5 years.

You have a link to this? I am betting that it’s just 50% of bowl money or something.....there’s no way that they are getting docked $20 million per year. I am interested to know how much they stand to lose over all of this so if anyone has a link, please post it.

TUSK
02-01-2018, 10:20 PM

If that's the case, then I am painfully oblivious to how the accounting works in this instance...

Maybe you're basing it on: [SEC Rev. - Bama's contribution]/13.... ?

Dawg61
02-01-2018, 10:53 PM
If that's the case, then I am painfully oblivious to how the accounting works in this instance...

Maybe you're basing it on: [SEC Rev. - Bama's contribution]/13.... ?

Bama playing in a natty doesn't pay out nearly as much as you think. The cable contracts are made years in advance and the SEC cable contract with ESPN would still be the largest of all the conferences without Bama so if you took out a team it makes it a 13 way split instead of 14 and all of us make more money without Bama so you can save the welfare comments cause they are totally wrong.

TUSK
02-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Bama playing in a natty doesn't pay out nearly as much as you think. The cable contracts are made years in advance and the SEC cable contract with ESPN would still be the largest of all the conferences without Bama so if you took out a team it makes it a 13 way split instead of 14 and all of us make more money without Bama so you can save the welfare comments cause they are totally wrong.

Actually, the Natty paid out nothing... the semi-final teams generated $6M each... I'm not sure if the lost revenue through SECN/Ads, Rating, etc would make up the $35M difference if the number of "recipients" was reduced to 13...

But to say that the revenue distribution is "equitable" is, at best "incorrect"...

Dawg61
02-01-2018, 11:15 PM
Actually, the Natty paid out nothing... the semi-final teams generated $6M each... I'm not sure if the lost revenue through SECN/Ads, Rating, etc would make up the $35M difference if the number of "recipients" was reduced to 13...

But to say that the revenue distribution is "equitable" is, at best "incorrect"...

What? Playoff games were on ESPN. ESPN gets that money not the SEC. SEC makes same amount of money if we have zero teams in the playoff. We can go back and forth on this as long as you need till you finally understand that Bama isn't the reason every SEC school is making a lot of money now. I am a patient man.

TUSK
02-01-2018, 11:28 PM
What? Playoff games were on ESPN. ESPN gets that money not the SEC. SEC makes same amount of money if we have zero teams in the playoff. We can go back and forth on this as long as you need till you finally understand that Bama isn't the reason every SEC school is making a lot of money now. I am a patient man.

Not sure this is true, but Forbes is usually pretty legit.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2018/01/08/college-football-national-championship-georgia-vs-alabama-by-the-numbers/#6ce4987d74df

Assuming it is true, the absence of UA would have to be worth >~6% of the total of disbursements in order to the remaining 13 SEC programs to receive >$40.9M.... I'd speculate that their presence may be higher than that...

But, it's been a looooooong time since I did the ACC/BUSNFI shit... so, I may not be crunching the numbers correctly....

somebodyshotmypaw
02-01-2018, 11:29 PM
Ole Miss gets ever penny. This amount is for fiscal year ending August 31, 2017. They weren't on probation at that time. I think I'm right on this. Correct me if I'm not.

Bothrops
02-01-2018, 11:34 PM
Apparently no one knows what they get and when they get it.

Dawg61
02-01-2018, 11:41 PM
Not sure this is true, but Forbes is usually pretty legit.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2018/01/08/college-football-national-championship-georgia-vs-alabama-by-the-numbers/#6ce4987d74df

Assuming it is true, the absence of UA would have to be worth >~6% of the total of disbursements in order to the remaining 13 SEC programs to receive >$40.9M.... I'd speculate that their presence may be higher than that...

But, it's been a looooooong time since I did the ACC/BUSNFI shit... so, I may not be crunching the numbers correctly....

It's very simple. The cable contract is still exactly the same but there's 13 mouths instead of 14 so each school gets more money cause a shitload of money divided equally 13 ways is more than a shitload of money divided 14 ways.

TUSK
02-01-2018, 11:44 PM
It's very simple. The cable contract is still exactly the same but there's 13 mouths instead of 14 so each school gets more money cause a shitload of money divided equally 13 ways is more than a shitload of money divided 14 ways.

I get what you're saying.... there wouldn't be no immediate change in revenue bc the contracts are set... the decrease would occur upon contract renewal, right?

Homedawg
02-02-2018, 01:33 AM

Um, not sure how you come up with this. If bama wasn't in the league we wouldn't have the same contract possibly. And second, we would have another team to replace them I suppose. So yea, you need to account better in your math.

Dawg61
02-02-2018, 02:30 AM
I get what you're saying.... there wouldn't be no immediate change in revenue bc the contracts are set... the decrease would occur upon contract renewal, right?

Tough to say if the next contract would be for less since it'd be in the future and who knows what's about to happen with ESPN being apart of the new streaming service that Disney will offer but the dollar amount is so high for SEC football because everyone in the South watches CFB likes it's the NFL more so than the SEC (Bama) keeps winning national championships. College football is just so popular in the SEC territory which causes the high demand high dollar contracts. It's not because Bama has won 5 billion titles. Bama's influence probably effects more areas outside the SEC umbrella than other schools though and ESPN wants to have the best teams playing in the prime spots so I am not saying Bama hasn't had an effect on the tv contracts I just don't think it's nearly as much as you have been led to believe.

TUSK
02-02-2018, 06:53 AM
Tough to say if the next contract would be for less since it'd be in the future and who knows what's about to happen with ESPN being apart of the new streaming service that Disney will offer but the dollar amount is so high for SEC football because everyone in the South watches CFB likes it's the NFL more so than the SEC (Bama) keeps winning national championships. College football is just so popular in the SEC territory which causes the high demand high dollar contracts. It's not because Bama has won 5 billion titles. Bama's influence probably effects more areas outside the SEC umbrella than other schools though and ESPN wants to have the best teams playing in the prime spots so I am not saying Bama hasn't had an effect on the tv contracts I just don't think it's nearly as much as you have been led to believe.

I think maybe you mistook my wisecrack (for fun) as true "arrogance"... that's not the case, with me....

Bama does not support SEC football, I know this... My point (after your original response) is that it's not an equitable situation... while all the schools get the same distribution, some generate less revenue for the conference, while some generate more... That, at it's very core, is a "welfare-like" situation...

Additionally, I would surmise that the SEC Media contract values would decrease if one, or more, of the more successful, higher revenue generating programs weren't part of said conference or contract... That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

QuadrupleOption
02-02-2018, 02:21 PM

I thought the SEC got a cut too - wouldn't it be 14 instead of 15? Your point still stands though.

QuadrupleOption
02-02-2018, 02:21 PM
I think maybe you mistook my wisecrack (for fun) as true "arrogance"... that's not the case, with me....

Bama does not support SEC football, I know this... My point (after your original response) is that it's not an equitable situation... while all the schools get the same distribution, some generate less revenue for the conference, while some generate more... That, at it's very core, is a "welfare-like" situation...

Additionally, I would surmise that the SEC Media contract values would decrease if one, or more, of the more successful, higher revenue generating programs weren't part of said conference or contract... That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

That's nothing new though. I'm just glad that MSU tends to be a net positive for the conference.

Tbonewannabe
02-02-2018, 03:54 PM

Some people are obviously very touchy when it comes to Bama. Bama brings more to the table because they are more popular. The same could be said for UGA also. It is more valuable to have Bama than to add another Vandy. Not everyone can be the QB, you have to have some Oline to block for them. At the end of the day, every team wins because Bama is popular. We share the $$$ equally. After Coach JoeMo builds a dynasty, Bama can ride on our coattails a while since Saban has to either retire or die at some point.

TUSK
02-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Some people are obviously very touchy when it comes to Bama. Bama brings more to the table because they are more popular. The same could be said for UGA also. It is more valuable to have Bama than to add another Vandy. Not everyone can be the QB, you have to have some Oline to block for them. At the end of the day, every team wins because Bama is popular. We share the $$$ equally. After Coach JoeMo builds a dynasty, Bama can ride on our coattails a while since Saban has to either retire or die at some point.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tbonewannabe again.

Dawg61
02-02-2018, 05:24 PM

The point is the SEC brand is much much more valuable than the Bama brand and when you got Bama fans cracking "welfare" jokes for a decade straight the shit wears thin. The joke wasn't funny in 2008 and it still isn't funny today. What would be funny is Bama getting placed into the independent category and Clemson taking their place. That'd be ****ing hilarious. Save your welfare jokes for when you're hanging out with Texas at the "think they are bigger than the conference" convention.

TUSK
02-03-2018, 02:09 AM
The point is the SEC brand is much much more valuable than the Bama brand and when you got Bama fans cracking "welfare" jokes for a decade straight the shit wears thin. The joke wasn't funny in 2008 and it still isn't funny today. What would be funny is Bama getting placed into the independent category and Clemson taking their place. That'd be ****ing hilarious. Save your welfare jokes for when you're hanging out with Texas at the "think they are bigger than the conference" convention.

Ya know, '61, if ya hate Bammer that much.... it technically makes you a "Bama Fan"...

js

I'd be allllllll for Bammer goin' independent IF Clemson took their place in the SEC... The SEC would see a revenue neutral change and Bammer's revenue would increase significantly...

Dawg61
02-03-2018, 07:55 AM
Ya know, '61, if ya hate Bammer that much.... it technically makes you a "Bama Fan"...

js

I'd be allllllll for Bammer goin' independent IF Clemson took their place in the SEC... The SEC would see a revenue neutral change and Bammer's revenue would increase significantly...

Shit why stop there. Go to the NFL. Give the state of Alabama something new to strive for. An NFL franchise. Go play with the big boys and then we can all root for a deep south NFL team. The rest of us are welfare so go show us how it's done Alabama.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-03-2018, 08:54 AM

js

That would fine with me as it would move Missouri to the West in your place....but you may want to consult with Notre Dame before you do that....