PDA

View Full Version : Real talk: Who is going to start at QB1 next season?

Coach 57
02-01-2018, 01:51 PM
I know the normal ?Miss. Take? fans are known by making stupid statements like ?if they?d have played Dak in 2012 we?d have won more games!? Or ?I wonder what Sleepy would have looked like in Mullen?s offense?? Or ?Why didn?t Mullen play Relf more in 09?? If he did we?d have won more games!?

So this question is NOT one of those emotional responses rather is one we really need to think long & hard about.

Who will be the starter (despite injuries) midway through the year?

Some of you will immediately say Fitz, based on his body of work, he?s a senior, based on leadership in the past that this is HIS team. But be very careful, those arguments could?ve been made for Tyler Russell years ago. And to an extent that may be true, but what I better not here is because he has more ?experience/playbook application? because that my friend is STOOPID (lol).

Neither Key nor Fitz have ANY clue about the complexities of this offense & I believe if JoMo is smart he?ll open up the QB competition. Because if you look at the offense Penn St has run since he?s been there he?s FAR more throw proned as a play caller than CDM was, and I?m not sure that?ll suit Fitz.

Key us a far better pure passer than Fitz is. His throwing motion although it needs tweaking, is better than Fitz?s. But Fitz is a more dynamic runner than Key. So this is why I asked who?ll start midway, because at the start of the year I do believe it?ll be Fitz. But how will he be able to apply the breadth of JoMo?s laminated checkerboard we call playbook? I honestly think as TRUE MAROON as Fitz has been as a Bulldawg, I think it?ll be dicey to make a hardcore stand for either guy because both guys start out at zero knowledge of and application of this system.

It?ll be a very interesting season for sure. I know this; this is the best group of 22 kids we?ve fielded to make a run at a legit shot at Atlanta. Will this battle be a stumbling block that trips us up?

Just wanted to get a feel for what you guys though and why. Thanks guys, love you all and God bless! C57

TheRef
02-01-2018, 01:55 PM
I think Fitz will and should be QB1 come the season, IF he is 100%. Now if he is skiddish or isn't as explosive than he was before the injury, then we will probably have a battle on our hands. But if Fitz is where he was last season, I think we see him back under center to start the season.

Coach34
02-01-2018, 01:58 PM
We have no competition. It's Fitz.

If you even hint there is a competition or Fitz loses the job- then he will leave to become the starting QB at Florida. And I wouldnt blame him.

Cary Hudson's little bro
02-01-2018, 02:00 PM
We have no competition. It's Fitz.

If you even hint there is a competition or Fitz loses the job- then he will leave to become the starting QB at Florida. And I wouldnt blame him.

Agree...there is such a thing as dumb questions Coach 57

Commercecomet24
02-01-2018, 02:04 PM
It's Fitz. Joe did throw a lot a PSU but if you go back and watch Fordham they ran the ball quite a bit, and McSorley ran quite a bit at PSU(though not as much as Fitz with dan). His system is adaptable. I also believe Fitz will benefit in the passing game from having better receivers this year. JMO.

Tbonewannabe
02-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Fitz has a great arm, he just needs to get some touch on the deep ball. Fitz threw into some tight windows last year because our receivers didn't get very open. He is extremely experienced so that matters when you are on the road at LSU or Bama. He is also probably the best running QB in the country. There aren't many QBs that can blow by DBs for a 70 yard run or truck a LB into the endzone from the 5 yard line. Let us just appreciate that we have Fitz for a year then Key for the next 2.

Jarius
02-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Joe didn't get the reputation as a genius and the best OC in the country by trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. He will adapt to what his best players do best, and Fitz is very much better than Key at this point in time.

Commercecomet24
02-01-2018, 02:15 PM
Fitz has a great arm, he just needs to get some touch on the deep ball. Fitz threw into some tight windows last year because our receivers didn't get very open. He is extremely experienced so that matters when you are on the road at LSU or Bama. He is also probably the best running QB in the country. There aren't many QBs that can blow by DBs for a 70 yard run or truck a LB into the endzone from the 5 yard line. Let us just appreciate that we have Fitz for a year then Key for the next 2.

Fitz really is a dynamic player. Should be even more dangerous now that we appear to have put together a better receiving corps for him. If we can get the ball downfield more in the passing game its gonna make Fitz even more dangerous.

Dallas_Dawg
02-01-2018, 02:18 PM
Did MsState7 or Shotgun get Coach 57?s credentials?

RougeDawg
02-01-2018, 02:18 PM

If we had above average WR?s in 2017, Fitz would have had about a 10% higher completion percentage. Yes he threw some errant passes but he had a ton of drops and passes that would have been caught by a AJ brown type receiver. Malik and Guidry will improve his ?accuracy? by default simply by upgrading the talent level.

TrapGame
02-01-2018, 02:20 PM
Fitz really is a dynamic player. Should be even more dangerous now that we appear to have put together a better receiving corps for him. If we can get the ball downfield more in the passing game its gonna make Fitz even more dangerous.

Once Fitz develops some of that chemistry with Heath, Guidry and Whop that Dak had with Bear and Fred Ross it's going to be lights out better.

BrunswickDawg
02-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Y'all know I'm the biggest Fitz homer on here, but I get what you are saying Coach57. I'd say, barring injury or lack or recovery, Fitz is the starter midseason. However, I could see a Madkin/Wyatt scenario developing. We have the luxury of a high quality QB in waiting, and if a time came where the offense has bogged down and Fitz is having a rough game Key could be brought in as a spark. But, beyond that, no, Fitz is the guy.

Coach34
02-01-2018, 02:24 PM
If we had above average WR?s in 2017, Fitz would have had about a 10% higher completion percentage. Yes he threw some errant passes but he had a ton of drops and passes that would have been caught by a AJ brown type receiver. Malik and Guidry will improve his ?accuracy? by default simply by upgrading the talent level.

Spirit Jake Wimberly and Myself tried telling everyone before the season that while Fitz would improve in 2017- his lack of talent at the WR position wouldnt show his improvement numbers-wise. Per usual- that was the case. Especially when we lost Gray and Myles for multiple games this season.

Fitz is going to be a draft pick in 2019- he will be our QB. I love Thompson and believe he ends up being our 3rd drafted QB in a row- but too many people are overlooking that he was only 11/20 for 120 yards in the bowl game. Fitz does at least that and runs for 200 yards vs Louisville had he played.

dawgday166
02-01-2018, 02:32 PM
This topic is and should be fake news.

Tbonewannabe
02-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Spirit Jake Wimberly and Myself tried telling everyone before the season that while Fitz would improve in 2017- his lack of talent at the WR position wouldnt show his improvement numbers-wise. Per usual- that was the case. Especially when we lost Gray and Myles for multiple games this season.

Fitz is going to be a draft pick in 2019- he will be our QB. I love Thompson and believe he ends up being our 3rd drafted QB in a row- but too many people are overlooking that he was only 11/20 for 120 yards in the bowl game. Fitz does at least that and runs for 200 yards vs Louisville had he played.

He didn't throw to very many open receivers and when he did the chance of them actually catching it was a little better than 50/50. Several wide open drops like Todd in the Gator Bowl happened throughout the year. Fitz's numbers would have improved by simply the new WR coach developing the guys on campus. Gray and Myles didn't have very much of an impact this year before they were injured. Thomas is the only big loss as a pass catcher.

MedDawg
02-01-2018, 03:38 PM
I know the normal ?Miss. Take? fans are known by making stupid statements like ?if they?d have played Dak in 2012 we?d have won more games!? Or ?I wonder what Sleepy would have looked like in Mullen?s offense?? Or ?Why didn?t Mullen play Relf more in 09?? If he did we?d have won more games!?

So this question is NOT one of those emotional responses rather is one we really need to think long & hard about.

Some of you will immediately say Fitz, based on his body of work, he?s a senior, based on leadership in the past that this is HIS team. But be very careful, those arguments could?ve been made for Tyler Russell years ago. And to an extent that may be true, but what I better not here is because he has more ?experience/playbook application? because that my friend is STOOPID (lol).

Neither Key nor Fitz have ANY clue about the complexities of this offense & I believe if JoMo is smart he?ll open up the QB competition. Because if you look at the offense Penn St has run since he?s been there he?s FAR more throw proned as a play caller than CDM was, and I?m not sure that?ll suit Fitz.

Key us a far better pure passer than Fitz is. His throwing motion although it needs tweaking, is better than Fitz?s. But Fitz is a more dynamic runner than Key. So this is why I asked who?ll start midway, because at the start of the year I do believe it?ll be Fitz. But how will he be able to apply the breadth of JoMo?s laminated checkerboard we call playbook? I honestly think as TRUE MAROON as Fitz has been as a Bulldawg, I think it?ll be dicey to make a hardcore stand for either guy because both guys start out at zero knowledge of and application of this system.

It?ll be a very interesting season for sure. I know this; this is the best group of 22 kids we?ve fielded to make a run at a legit shot at Atlanta. Will this battle be a stumbling block that trips us up?

Just wanted to get a feel for what you guys though and why. Thanks guys, love you all and God bless! C57

IF Key is a far better pure passer than Fitz then he absolutely could beat out Fitz. Key runs well plenty enough for Moorhead's offense--better than Penn State's McSorley.

However, I don't think Key is a far better passer than Fitz. As others have mentioned above, Fitz would have had a much better passer rating in 2017 with better receivers, and we will have better receivers in 2018. Even if Key is a little better passer than Fitz, I think Fitz' running strength and senior leadership would solidify him as a starter. Key will play a lot more snaps in 2018 than he did in 2017, so he will get enough experience to be able to lead us in 2019.

Bully13
02-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Agree...there is such a thing as dumb questions Coach 57

Yep

RiverCityDawg
02-01-2018, 03:50 PM
We have seen nothing at the collegiate level to suggest Key is a better passer than Fitz, much less a "far better" passer. In an interview with Elliot last year he talked about having to completely break down Key's throwing motion and build it back up. Total overhaul. I know it's a new staff, just making the point that it's not like he has this great throwing motion that gives him an advantage.

Maybe Key will be a better passer than Fitz at some point but I highly doubt it will be next year. Even still, Fitz is viewed as the leader by the team. He's been in the battles against good defenses. He's the guy.

02-01-2018, 03:55 PM
Just wanted to get a feel for what you guys though and why.

dumb

basedog
02-01-2018, 03:58 PM
I'm betting JoeMo will run whatever is best for the talent we have. I'm sure it will be a mix type offense from Mullen to his for the coming year. Now when he gets certain players in the coming years recruiting it will be his offense style.
I think Key gets snaps every game but Fitz will be the go to guy!

Coach 57
02-01-2018, 04:11 PM
dumb

And why is this “dumb”?

Coach 57
02-01-2018, 04:27 PM
First of all I’m not advocating for either, I’m just opening this up for discussion. Both guys have to take the job from the other and if you don’t think that then you’re crazy. Otherwise we are right back to the same ole shenanigans Mullen had when he played upperclassmen over more talented guys in the past just for the sake of them being upperclassmen.

It’s not a foregone conclusion that Key can’t take this job either. You do know he had NO snaps with the 1’s most if not all of the year until the bowl practices and during that he hand picked the playbook essentially. So don’t be either underwhelmed or overwhelmed by his stats in the bowl game. If you want a fair comparison take out practice & look at Key’s passing attempts in high school & this past year. Then take Fitz’s high school pass attempts & his career at MSU up until last year. Those are IN GAME attempts, I love Fitz but he’s NOT a better pure passer. His wind up is too far away from his body, his release point is off (which is why he over throws) & he hasn’t gotten a hold on his arm strength Vs drop in accuracy. Classic case of an athlete playing QB.

As a freshman any person who knows ANYTHING about passing mechanics will tell you Key’s throwing motion is better than Fitz’s even as a junior Vs a freshman. His wind up is tighter to his body, his release point is slightly outside but is more polished than Fitz & because of this he has better touch on his deep ball. Fact is just fact.

Again I’m just trying to have a real conversation about the reality of the QB1 spot mid season after both guys have had the same amount of playbook time under their belts. I’m not saying it’s Key but if JoMo is any coach at all he will allow for open competition for the spot...if he didn’t that’s not good.

Jarius
02-01-2018, 04:33 PM
He is good enough to push Fitz and he was good enough for Fitz to know he can't sit on his ass and keep the job but he is not winning the qb job. Period.

smootness
02-01-2018, 05:12 PM
Thompson has a bunch of talent and I think he's going to be great in time.

But Fitzgerald is a redshirt senior, will be in his 3rd full year as starting QB, and brings a ton to the table. His ceiling is clearly higher in 2018 than Thompson's. So if Moorhead can't put a system in place that works better with Fitzgerald than Thompson next year, that's an indictment on him.

Coach 57
02-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Re-post

BB30
02-01-2018, 05:17 PM
First of all I’m not advocating for either, I’m just opening this up for discussion. Both guys have to take the job from the other and if you don’t think that then you’re crazy. Otherwise we are right back to the same ole shenanigans Mullen had when he played upperclassmen over more talented guys in the past just for the sake of them being upperclassmen.

It’s not a foregone conclusion that Key can’t take this job either. You do know he had NO snaps with the 1’s most if not all of the year until the bowl practices and during that he hand picked the playbook essentially. So don’t be either underwhelmed or overwhelmed by his stats in the bowl game. If you want a fair comparison take out practice & look at Key’s passing attempts in high school & this past year. Then take Fitz’s high school pass attempts & his career at MSU up until last year. Those are IN GAME attempts, I love Fitz but he’s NOT a better pure passer. His wind up is too far away from his body, his release point is off (which is why he over throws) & he hasn’t gotten a hold on his arm strength Vs drop in accuracy. Classic case of an athlete playing QB.

As a freshman any person who knows ANYTHING about passing mechanics will tell you Key’s throwing motion is better than Fitz’s even as a junior Vs a freshman. His wind up is tighter to his body, his release point is slightly outside but is more polished than Fitz & because of this he has better touch on his deep ball. Fact is just fact.

Again I’m just trying to have a real conversation about the reality of the QB1 spot mid season after both guys have had the same amount of playbook time under their belts. I’m not saying it’s Key but if JoMo is any coach at all he will allow for open competition for the spot...if he didn’t that’s not good.

Sorry if I am mistaking you for someone else with coach in their name but didn't you also predict us winning the west this past season?

You say you aren't advocating for either and then say we are right back to the sme ole shenanigans Mullen had when he played upperclassmen over more talented guys in the past. That sounds like you are pretty much saying you think kt is the better more talented option.

Coach 57
02-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Thompson has a bunch of talent and I think he's going to be great in time.

But Fitzgerald is a redshirt senior, will be in his 3rd full year as starting QB, and brings a ton to the table. His ceiling is clearly higher in 2018 than Thompson's. So if Moorhead can't put a system in place that works better with Fitzgerald than Thompson next year, that's an indictment on him.

So what “clearly higher” upside do you see that Fitz had over Key...just curious? Because starts/stats doesn’t equate always to success (see NC game). So you’re gonna have to come at me with more than “starts” or a classification (aka grade/3rd yr Sr).

Coach 57
02-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Sorry if I am mistaking you for someone else with coach in their name but didn't you also predict us winning the west this past season?

You say you aren't advocating for either and then say we are right back to the sme ole shenanigans Mullen had when he played upperclassmen over more talented guys in the past. That sounds like you are pretty much saying you think kt is the better more talented option.

I don’t recall saying we’d win the west, you’ll have to prove it was me.

I NEVER said we are back to those “shenanigans” I said if we start a guy just because he’s a senior or a junior over a guy who is more talented then yes it IS back to the same old same old. And I do think that Key has better throwing mechanics than Fitz at this point YES. Based on that locking those fundamentals down helps constitute better passing.

Commercecomet24
02-01-2018, 05:34 PM

I NEVER said we are back to those “shenanigans” I said if we start a guy just because he’s a senior or a junior over a guy who is more talented then yes it IS back to the same old same old.

It wasn't you who said that 57, it was the poster known just as Coach. This is in an interesting discussion, which is what the board is for, it beats the heck out of all the recruiting melt posts, ha! My personal opinion is Fitz is the man and KT has a bright future after Fitz leaves. We have an envious QB situation here and with Mayden coming in the hits just keep on coming.

MaroonBelle
02-01-2018, 05:36 PM
You need to take in to account that whatever natural talent they have each, Fitz is in grad school now, in mostly on-line classes. He will have way more time than KT to learn the new offense and to practice to correct whatever mechanical flaws he might have and to rehab from his injury. He will be able to work around his receivers schedules to practice more if need be. He will be getting "Graduate Level" training. Hopefully much like Dak did, which means he will be able to sit in on more meetings with coaches and game planning sessions. I don't think there is any question that he will be starting and it is not just a question of natural ability. KT was comfortable with 50 plays from a book that he had seen all year for the bowl game. There will be a new book now. Who do you think will acclimate to it the fastest. That will no doubt be Fitz in my mind.

Coach 57
02-01-2018, 05:45 PM
You need to take in to account that whatever natural talent they have each, Fitz is in grad school now, in mostly on-line classes. He will have way more time than KT to learn the new offense and to practice to correct whatever mechanical flaws he might have and to rehab from his injury. He will be able to work around his receivers schedules to practice more if need be. He will be getting "Graduate Level" training. Hopefully much like Dak did, which means he will be able to sit in on more meetings with coaches and game planning sessions. I don't think there is any question that he will be starting and it is not just a question of natural ability. KT was comfortable with 50 plays from a book that he had seen all year for the bowl game. There will be a new book now. Who do you think will acclimate to it the fastest. That will no doubt be Fitz in my mind.

You see this is a great and valid point right here. And I absolutely agree if this is true then he’ll have a ton of reps as you said once he gets healthy & is recovered. This is the key to tightening up on his mechanics. Plus another thing is I started to bring up years ago was a similar discussion because Fitz’s arm is leaps and bounds better than Dak’s. So it’s just a little sprinkle of some guys getting their emotions out of the way and just discussing their opinions because right now it’s all just opinions

Todd4State
02-01-2018, 05:48 PM
We will start Fitz and play Key in the same formation at times based on what Joe did at Penn State.

I think Fitz's numbers were limited by:

1. Having a bunch of smurfs to throw to or raw young receivers.

2. Dan not attacking downfield as much as he probably should. (Chicks dig the checkdown. BARF!)

BB30
02-01-2018, 05:57 PM

I NEVER said we are back to those “shenanigans” I said if we start a guy just because he’s a senior or a junior over a guy who is more talented then yes it IS back to the same old same old. And I do think that Key has better throwing mechanics than Fitz at this point YES. Based on that locking those fundamentals down helps constitute better passing.

My apologies, yes it was Coach that said that I get all the Coaches confused. Just seems like you are trying to present your opinion without actually stating an opinion. For every QB with great mechanics in the NFL I can name you one that has fairly poor mechanics that has had a ton of success in the NFL. Personally, I like the discussion.

Fitz release and mechanics aren't all that terrible if we are strictly talking from a mechanical perspective. He tends to get off on his back foot some but his arm works fairly smooth and clean and his release is just as good as Dak's was coming out of college. KT under pressure in the bowl game and egg bowl tended to throw off his back foot and not progress through his reads(expected of a young QB) Since we aren't talking NFL, mechanics are important but experience in my mind becomes a tad bit more important as long as athleticism and ability are comparable for that reason I am going with Fitz. Both tend to get tunnel visioned when there is pressure but Fitz seemed to improve in that area this year. He also seemed to hang in the pocket better as the year went on and let the play develop once he trusted his OL. If the WRs will hold up to their end of the deal and improve Fitz won't have any issues making the adjustment to the new offense and just from a gut feeling I think he is more durable than KT at this point.

I think KT will be a great QB for us and has a higher ceiling than Fitz does but I don't think he is there yet. Fortunately, We don't have to worry all that much if Fitz goes down as we have a QB that is more than prepared to take over if needed. I also think we may see both play some early.

BuckyIsAB****
02-01-2018, 06:34 PM

I dont think Key is as far along as a passer as Fitz is. He didnt look great throwing the ball against OM or Louisville. I think both play and we see them both in the backfield at the same time

bulldawg28
02-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Fitz is a baaaaaaddddd man! I don't think it's even close. If his WR's and sir drops alot TE would have helped him we are a 10 win team last year when picked to win only 6.

99jc
02-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Keyton will be a great player in his time this is Fitz year. Go back to to sippin your hotty toddy 57.

RougeDawg
02-01-2018, 08:18 PM

I agree. There is no doubt who the starter is until 2019 and then until after 2020. Fitz is the nest retiring QB in conference that has proven himself. The Alabama Pineapple shows promise but he?s only played one half of meaningful snaps. If the WR?s can just marginally improve, Fitz will have us in position for Atlanta and himself in discussions for NYC in December.

BuckyIsAB****
02-01-2018, 08:22 PM
I agree. There is no doubt who the starter is until 2019 and then until after 2020. Fitz is the nest retiring QB in conference that has proven himself. The Alabama Pineapple shows promise but he?s only played one half of meaningful snaps. If the WR?s can just marginally improve, Fitz will have us in position for Atlanta and himself in discussions for NYC in December.

Tua could be Cardale Jones but I doubt it. He shouldve been playing all year. I think hes the real deal......heard he looked good all year against the Bama 1D all yr long in practice

Coach 57
02-01-2018, 08:23 PM
Keyton will be a great player in his time this is Fitz year. Go back to to sippin your hotty toddy 57.

Is this some kind of joke? Are you insinuating that I’m a UM fan? If so, son just say the word and I assure you I’ll leave this board. I don’t post dribble and to insinuate trash like that is an insult to my character. Just say the word son & I'll be happy to leave the board.

Anybody else feel like this?

BuckyIsAB****
02-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Is this some kind of joke? Are you insinuating that I’m a UM fan? If so, son just say the word and I assure you I’ll leave this board. I don’t post dribble and to insinuate trash like that is an insult to my character. Just say the word son & I'll be happy to leave the board.

Nah Fam you good

Commercecomet24
02-01-2018, 08:27 PM

57 I enjoy your posts tremendously and really wish you posted more. You have great insights and analysis on plays and players. You and 34 probably the best x and o guys on the board. Appreciate what you bring!

bulldawg28
02-01-2018, 08:31 PM
Is this some kind of joke? Are you insinuating that I?m a UM fan? If so, son just say the word and I assure you I?ll leave this board. I don?t post dribble and to insinuate trash like that is an insult to my character. Just say the word son & I'll be happy to leave the board.

Your good coach. Your question is valid but unlikely to happen at the Qb position. However, I actually see open competition at every other position. Fitz is probably the surest lock of anyone on the team

bulldawg28
02-01-2018, 08:32 PM
57 I enjoy your posts tremendously and really wish you posted more. You have great insights and analysis on plays and players. You and 34 probably the best x and o guys on the board. Appreciate what you bring!

Ahemmm

RougeDawg
02-01-2018, 08:33 PM
We will start Fitz and play Key in the same formation at times based on what Joe did at Penn State.

I think Fitz's numbers were limited by:

1. Having a bunch of smurfs to throw to or raw young receivers.

2. Dan being a scared c*nt and doing just enough to GTFO of Starkville

FIFY

Dawg61
02-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Nick Fitzgerald is a much much better QB than Key right now. There is zero competition here. It's Fitz job unless his leg falls off.

tcdog70
02-01-2018, 09:31 PM
It is going to be amazing how much Better Fitz's passing will be. New offense, better WRs, a year older and actually throwing it downfield.