PDA

View Full Version : RPI up to 53

Coach34
02-01-2018, 10:58 AM
after last night's win. Now 2 big home games coming up vs Jawja and Bammer. Win both of those and we are bubbly

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/page/1/sort/RPI

Georgia is #52
Bama #36

Commercecomet24
02-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Team has come a long way in the last couple of weeks. Good to see. Still would love to see Peters handling the ball in the last couple of minutes instead of Q. Looks like some things starting to gel.

RougeDawg
02-01-2018, 11:40 AM
If we win the next two we would have to play ourselves out of the tournament through the end of the season.

Dawg61
02-01-2018, 11:51 AM
53 in RPI has to be almost exactly where Stansbury left us at. Only took Howland 2.5 years and that's after following up the worst coach in SEC basketball history Rick Ray.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-01-2018, 12:07 PM
53 in RPI has to be almost exactly where Stansbury left us at. Only took Howland 2.5 years and that's after following up the worst coach in SEC basketball history Rick Ray.
Unacceptable that it took him 2.5 years. With the fan support and tradition around our hoops program, he should have done it in 6 months tops.**

msstate7
02-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Unacceptable that it took him 2.5 years. With the fan support and tradition around our hoops program, he should have done it in 6 months tops.**

We love basketball! No idea why the attendance at the hump resembles an equal rights rally at OM

Liverpooldawg
02-01-2018, 12:13 PM
after last night's win. Now 2 big home games coming up vs Jawja and Bammer. Win both of those and we are bubbly

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/page/1/sort/RPI

Georgia is #52
Bama #36

Yep

PMDawg
02-01-2018, 12:23 PM
Peters is the key to how far we go. His box score was garbage last night. But it doesn't tell the whole story either. One of our last possessions was a microcosm of his entire season. He hustled down, broke a dude's ankles with some sick moves, penetrated the lane and opened Q up for a layup, and then promptly throws a 400 mph fastball into the stands. He gets pissed at Q and then plays a little too aggressive on D because he is mad.

If it ever truly clicks for him, and he can control his temper, he can take us to another level.

BeardoMSU
02-01-2018, 12:44 PM
No idea why the attendance at the hump resembles an equal rights rally at OM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f5d7df38389486dff04769c54fb61cb8/tenor.gif?itemid=4281279

parabrave
02-01-2018, 12:48 PM
With all the conference tie ins including those that have dual tie ins and those that get in because of their name how many actual at large berths are available?

BrunswickDawg
02-01-2018, 01:15 PM
With all the conference tie ins including those that have dual tie ins and those that get in because of their name how many actual at large berths are available?
36 at large bids are available - so having an RPI in the 50s puts you on the bubble

curmudgeon
02-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Need to get the RPI in the high 30s, low 40s. No Big Six (Power 5 + Big East) team has ever been left out with an RPI better than 40th. EVER.

The 2005-06 Cincy team was 41st in the RPI and left out with a 21-13 record and 8-8 and 8th place in the Big East. They went 4-6 in their last 10 and were 1-7 against the Top 50.

Percho
02-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Peters is the key to how far we go. His box score was garbage last night. But it doesn't tell the whole story either. One of our last possessions was a microcosm of his entire season. He hustled down, broke a dude's ankles with some sick moves, penetrated the lane and opened Q up for a layup, and then promptly throws a 400 mph fastball into the stands. He gets pissed at Q and then plays a little too aggressive on D because he is mad.

If it ever truly clicks for him, and he can control his temper, he can take us to another level.

"Pray," he learned from that!

civildawg
02-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Our RPI is 61 according to the official NCAA RPI.

Coach34
02-01-2018, 01:44 PM
I provided the link and just posted what it said

We keep winning and it doesn’t matter

msstate7
02-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Our RPI is 61 according to the official NCAA RPI.

Q-king explained espn rpi vs others. Same thing, but espn factors in future SOS. They will converge in the end

Quaoarsking
02-01-2018, 02:54 PM

Actually, Stansbury's last 3 years RPI were 63, 121, and 83

Dawg61
02-01-2018, 03:07 PM
Actually, Stansbury's last 3 years RPI were 63, 121, and 83

Ouch Stansbury Stans! Y'all can bookmark this next comment. Howland will never have a team at MSU starting now that has an RPI of 83 or worse at the end of a season.

Johnson85
02-01-2018, 03:37 PM
36 at large bids are available - so having an RPI in the 50s puts you on the bubble

Anybody have any clue how many of the autobids are usually teams that would make it anyway?

If half of autobids only get in by being autobids (I'm guessing it's usually more than that? In otherwords, after the big 6 basketball conferences, there aren't another 10 conference winners who were locks for the tourney?), that means the top 52 teams in the country should get in regardless of whether they win their autobid or not.

If 12 autobid winners were locks for the tourney anyway, that means that the top 48 teams in the country should get in regardless of whether they win their league's autobid.

PMDawg
02-01-2018, 03:55 PM
"Pray," he learned from that!

What are the quotation marks for?

BrunswickDawg
02-01-2018, 04:04 PM
Anybody have any clue how many of the autobids are usually teams that would make it anyway?

If half of autobids only get in by being autobids (I'm guessing it's usually more than that? In otherwords, after the big 6 basketball conferences, there aren't another 10 conference winners who were locks for the tourney?), that means the top 52 teams in the country should get in regardless of whether they win their autobid or not.

If 12 autobid winners were locks for the tourney anyway, that means that the top 48 teams in the country should get in regardless of whether they win their league's autobid.

The 32 autobids are the Conference Tournament Champs. So, there is no way to accurately predict how many teams "should" get those bids - too much craziness in the tourneys.

Bulldog1
02-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Ouch Stansbury Stans! Y'all can bookmark this next comment. Howland will never have a team at MSU starting now that has an RPI of 83 or worse at the end of a season.

I 2nd that! I’d go as far to say that he won’t have one out of the top 75 starting now.

Bully13
02-01-2018, 04:31 PM
We love basketball! No idea why the attendance at the hump resembles an equal rights rally at OM

Lol

smootness
02-01-2018, 05:05 PM
I 2nd that! I?d go as far to say that he won?t have one out of the top 75 starting now.

I'd go so far as to say he won't have one out of the top 72 starting now.

Anyone think they can beat that number?

Jack Lambert
02-01-2018, 05:16 PM
So right now we are on the bubble to the bubble?

whosyourdawgy
02-01-2018, 05:20 PM

Agree with this. Peters is the key to how we finish. The dish to Q i thought was a great play. Q just thought he was gonna shoot it and didn?t anticapte the pass. It was a bullet but a bullet go could?ve caught. The foul on the 3 pt attempt at that part in the game was inexcusable. Q had a really bad sequence there too with the 10 second call and the travel. We tried hard to blow that at the end but still beat a pretty solid team on the road. If we can continue to run offense and get good shots in the paint, Ado keeps being aggressive on offense, and we shoot 30-35 percent on our open(not forced) 3 pointers, we are gonna win our fair share over the last pet of the season

Turfdawg67
02-01-2018, 05:43 PM

You seem to be the only one fixated on Stansbury around here.

Dawg61
02-01-2018, 09:22 PM

You don't know what a Stan is do you

Liverpooldawg
02-01-2018, 09:26 PM

Him and 34 are the only ones that bring him up now. It's strange.

Dawg61
02-01-2018, 09:29 PM

I bring you and the other Stansbury lovers up not Stansbury himself. I'd call y'all something different but the common denominator that lumps you all together is that you're still Stansbury lovers so I can't really do that without saying the name Stansbury. So it shall continue till y'all stop holding our basketball program hostage.

Johnson85
02-01-2018, 10:34 PM
The 32 autobids are the Conference Tournament Champs. So, there is no way to accurately predict how many teams "should" get those bids - too much craziness in the tourneys.

Not asking for a prediction. The question was how many usually. I'd be curious to see whether it's the top 49 teams or top 45 or what that make it.

Quaoarsking
02-01-2018, 10:50 PM
Not asking for a prediction. The question was how many usually. I'd be curious to see whether it's the top 49 teams or top 45 or what that make it.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament#Firs t_Four, the play-in games for the at-large spots are usually for 11 seeds, although they've been 12, 13, and even 14 once. Since there are also 6 16 seeds, that would mean we could expect the bottom 22 (or maybe a little less) to be autobids. That would leave the top 44 or so can feel pretty good, and the next few slots just have to hope for the multi-bid conference tournaments to be won by teams that were going anyway.

MarketingBully
02-02-2018, 10:51 AM

He wasn?t mad at Q. It looked like he was mad at himself. I didn?t see him talking to Q at all.

MadDawg
02-02-2018, 11:26 AM

It's pretty desperate. The last 6 years have been rough on them.

Dawg61
02-02-2018, 11:54 AM
The last 6 years have been rough on them.

Yet you've been enjoying the last 6 years of basketball because you want MSU basketball to fail? Thanks for proving my point once again Stansbury clan.

MadDawg
02-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Yet you've been enjoying the last 6 years of basketball because you want MSU basketball to fail? Thanks for proving my point once again Stansbury clan.

Swing..... and a miss. Again.

The desperation is getting annoying.

Quaoarsking
02-02-2018, 12:03 PM

This year isn't rough and the 5, no 8, previous have been rough on everyone.

MCsMGs
02-02-2018, 12:05 PM

It's not desperate, they're not the only ones bringing it up and they're not even close to the only ones who recognize this unnatural obsession for the past and the harm it does to our current program.

As I have said elsewhere, I appreciate what Stans did for our program, but he isn't our coach anymore. I don't care if it was a mistake to run him off, I don't care who's fault it was. He's not gonna be our coach again.

Ben Howland is our coach now and by any reasonable metrics you want to measure, he is doing a good job rebuilding our program. If anyone is truly interested in the present and the future, they will leave the past behind and support MSU basketball now!

MadDawg
02-02-2018, 12:07 PM
It's not desperate, they're not the only ones bringing it up and they're not even close to the only ones who recognize this unnatural obsession for the past and the harm it does to our current program.

As I have said elsewhere, I appreciate what Stans did for our program, but he isn't our coach anymore. I don't care if it was a mistake to run him off, I don't care who's fault it was. He's not gonna be our coach again.

Ben Howland is our coach now and by any reasonable metrics you want to measure, he is doing a good job rebuilding our program. If anyone is truly interested in the present and the future, they will leave the past behind and support MSU basketball now!

I agree. It's time for them to just let Stans go.

BrunswickDawg
02-02-2018, 12:16 PM

http://i.imgur.com/45WW0wy.jpg

Dawg61
02-02-2018, 12:18 PM
I agree. It's time for them to just let Stans go.

Stans isn't the problem. You and about 2,000 others just like you are the problem.

MadDawg
02-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Stans isn't the problem. You and about 2,000 others just like you are the problem.

You really need a new obsession.

I support the basketball team. I support and like Howland. I have not, despite a mind-numbingly ignorant claim, enjoyed anything about the last 6 years of MSU basketball.

Dawg61
02-02-2018, 12:26 PM

I support the basketball team. I support and like Howland. I have not, despite a mind-numbingly ignorant claim, enjoyed anything about the last 6 years of MSU basketball.

When attendance at the Hump consistently gets back to what it's supposed to be for mbb I'll get a new obsession.

MadDawg
02-02-2018, 12:58 PM
When attendance at the Hump consistently gets back to what it's supposed to be for mbb I'll get a new obsession.

If this season plays out the way we are hoping, I think you will see better attendance from this point on.

Coach34
02-02-2018, 01:07 PM

not in the least. Strick hiring Ray over much better coaching applicants let me off the hook.

Coach34
02-02-2018, 01:09 PM
they're not the only ones bringing it up and they're not even close to the only ones who recognize this unnatural obsession for the past and the harm it does to our current program.

exactly. I posted about our current RPI for THIS season- now we see where this thread has gone to

Coach34
02-02-2018, 01:12 PM
This year isn't rough and the 5, no 8, previous have been rough on everyone.

another "exactly". It's been last 8 years- not 5.

Quaoarsking
02-02-2018, 01:24 PM

You aren't enjoying this year, but you did enjoy the last few Stansbury years?

Maybe that's not what you meant, but if so, you ought to correct your numbers.

Political Hack
02-02-2018, 01:28 PM
We’re relevant again. That’s a start. And a long awaited one.

HailState39110
02-02-2018, 01:55 PM
If we win the next two we would have to play ourselves out of the tournament through the end of the season.

My thoughts exactly . Beat Georgia and Bama at home and you are sitting inside the bubble the second week of February

MadDawg
02-02-2018, 02:26 PM
You aren't enjoying this year, but you did enjoy the last few Stansbury years?

Maybe that's not what you meant, but if so, you ought to correct your numbers.

Man you guys are trying way too hard. I used 6 years because Dawg61 used 6 years.

"Yet you've been enjoying the last 6 years of basketball because you want MSU basketball to fail"

So I guess you need to take it up with him. But something tells me you won't.

shannondawg
02-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Do actually think Stansbury supporters are the reason for the drop off in attendance? Surely you are kidding.

I won't even bother to give logical reasons for the drop as they are pretty evident to most sane people.

PMDawg
02-02-2018, 02:58 PM
Agree with this. Peters is the key to how we finish. The dish to Q i thought was a great play. Q just thought he was gonna shoot it and didn?t anticapte the pass. It was a bullet but a bullet go could?ve caught. The foul on the 3 pt attempt at that part in the game was inexcusable. Q had a really bad sequence there too with the 10 second call and the travel. We tried hard to blow that at the end but still beat a pretty solid team on the road. If we can continue to run offense and get good shots in the paint, Ado keeps being aggressive on offense, and we shoot 30-35 percent on our open(not forced) 3 pointers, we are gonna win our fair share over the last pet of the season

Oh, no need to sugar coat it. Q sucked for the last handful of possessions. He almost lost the game single-handedly. It would have been more on Q than Peters this last game. But, overall, Q is far more consistent than Peters. If Peters was anywhere near as consistent as Q, we would be a top 35 team.

MCsMGs
02-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Do actually think Stansbury supporters are the reason for the drop off in attendance? Surely you are kidding.

I won't even bother to give logical reasons for the drop as they are pretty evident to most sane people.

Well...there have been quite a few who have posted on this very board that they would NOT show up at the Hump until we were at least as good as we were with Stans. So, yes, those "supporters" are directly responsible for some of the drop off in attendance. If you factor in the negativity that the same group in hell bent on perpetuating and you don't think that affects attendance, then you have some sanity issues to deal with.

ETA You and I have spoken on numerous occasions and you know who I am so you know we are on the same team...but all the coulda, woulda, shoulda drama is counterproductive and that should be clear to all.

Dawg61
02-02-2018, 03:27 PM

I am saying that our basketball "base" is suffering from some serious butthurtedness and taking it out on our current program by not attending games and maintaining a "I told you so" attitude because they didn't want Stansbury fired. We don't have this issue in baseball and football. No matter what we could always count on our home base of fans to always show up and support the team in these two sports. We were god awful in football under Croom and people still went to the games. That's not happening for our basketball program. We no longer have that home "base" of fans that go to the games like we did with Stansbury. Those that are amongst this butthurt clan will fight tooth and nail to say this isn't the case but it is. The hatchets needs to get buried and we need a strong home base of fans that go and support our basketball program. We desperately need the students to pick it up too.

MadDawg
02-02-2018, 03:46 PM
I am saying that our basketball "base" is suffering from some serious butthurtedness and taking it out on our current program by not attending games and maintaining a "I told you so" attitude because they didn't want Stansbury fired. We don't have this issue in baseball and football. No matter what we could always count on our home base of fans to always show up and support the team in these two sports. We were god awful in football under Croom and people still went to the games. That's not happening for our basketball program. We no longer have that home "base" of fans that go to the games like we did with Stansbury. Those that are amongst this butthurt clan will fight tooth and nail to say this isn't the case but it is. The hatchets needs to get buried and we need a strong home base of fans that go and support our basketball program. We desperately need the students to pick it up too.

I just don't know about this. I think it's a little of a stretch to blame the poor attendance on some so-called "butthurt" fans. I think the far more logical and common sense reason is due to our basketball team being pretty horrible for the last several years. I know of several MSU fans that have told me in the last couple of years that they just don't care about basketball anymore. And these are not even remotely people that have/had some agenda based on who the coach was 2 coaches ago. Going 26-64 in the SEC will do that to you.

Tbonewannabe
02-02-2018, 03:59 PM
I just don't know about this. I think it's a little of a stretch to blame the poor attendance on some so-called "butthurt" fans. I think the far more logical and common sense reason is due to our basketball team being pretty horrible for the last several years. I know of several MSU fans that have told me in the last couple of years that they just don't care about basketball anymore. And these are not even remotely people that have/had some agenda based on who the coach was 2 coaches ago. Going 26-64 in the SEC will do that to you.

And our women's game is a hard sellout for the first time in history. Rick Ray killed what was left of our basketball program that started with a fight in the stands. It is just taking a little longer than the current ADD need it immediately society is used to. Winning cures everything so it will take a little while for the men to get that momentum back. A good run in the NIT or NCAAs and the atmosphere will be closer to what it was.

Dawg61
02-02-2018, 04:10 PM

I'm just sick and tired of seeing 1,200 people only at our basketball games. Idc how Cohen has to get it done but I want to see sellouts again. I want the Hump to be a place the opponent fears playing at. I want a top 25 basketball atmosphere.

Political Hack
02-02-2018, 04:39 PM
I'm just sick and tired of seeing 1,200 people only at our basketball games. Idc how Cohen has to get it done but I want to see sellouts again. I want the Hump to be a place the opponent fears playing at. I want a top 25 basketball atmosphere.

Youve got to give students premium seating courtside. And make sure the cameras are right across from them so they’re shown every time down the court. Duke is smarter than every other basketball program in the country for that move alone.

TimberBeast
02-02-2018, 04:39 PM

It's not true, the guy is a nutjob. All of that stuff is in his head.

Dawg61
02-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Youve got to give students premium seating courtside. And make sure the cameras are right across from them so they’re shown every time down the court. Duke is smarter than every other basketball program in the country for that move alone.

All for it. Give 5,000 free tickets to the students if they'll use em. Do whatever it takes to fill the Hump to the rafters. Worry about making money afterwards.

Ari Gold
02-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Youve got to give students premium seating courtside. And make sure the cameras are right across from them so they?re shown every time down the court. Duke is smarter than every other basketball program in the country for that move alone.

See auburn as well.

Ari Gold
02-02-2018, 04:57 PM

And these are prob the same ****ers that continue to buy lower level premium season tickets and come to one maybe 2 games. If your sick and tired on Msu hoops that?s fine, don?t buy your season tickets.