PDA

View Full Version : Our recruiting chances

Howboutdemdogs
02-01-2018, 09:23 AM
What are our chances on signing Lovett (DL) and Sampson (OL)? What other OL targets do we have?

HancockCountyDog
02-01-2018, 09:31 AM
What are our chances on signing Lovett (DL) and Sampson (OL)? What other OL targets do we have?

Check the recruiting thread at top of the board.

It appears we aren't signing Sampson, things look good for Lovett.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-01-2018, 09:46 AM
I'm no expert but I read the recruiting thread and listen to most of the pods.

Sampson is out, supposedly we've backed off for the same off-field issues that cause Michigan, fake MSU, and everyone else to back off of him. a 4 star OC should be way more sought after, something is very wrong with him.

Lovett sounds like he's back in the boat... but personally I think the de-commitment seemed coordinated with OM and he's after attention and OM $. Can't count on people like that to be consistent on signing day to how they acted today. He probably signs with us per the experts (Ari, IYOK, Steve, ect) but like I say he's a wild card.

Other OL targets? Well it's really bad honestly. We lost Carvin and McDowell, and wiffed on their backup plans (Sampson and Winkel). Now we're after a low 3* from Kansas (Robinson) who seems to be leaning to Nebraska, and a local OC (Jones) that simply isn't a P5 player. Not really a question about that- he's currently a ULL commit, for context. Nobody seems to have much hope either can see the field but they at least have the physical size to get us through practice. and give the DL reps. I've not heard any other names, but the staff seems to have backup plan a mile long even though they can't execute on it.

This cycle we're 1/5 on OL- We got Dolla Bill, but lost Carvin, McDowell, Winkel, and Sampson. Will be 2/6 if Robinson picks Nebraska and Jones picks us over ULL -which you have to believe he will- and 1/5 for guys with other P5 offers. 3 of the potential 6 lost will be to other new staffs, so the relative lack of a relationship excuse doesn't seem to hold water to me. Early playing time at Arky seems to be the going explanation for Winkel as the Arky OL is terrible... but with only 1 OL signed last year he knew he'd have his junior and senior years here being a de-facto starter.

OL recruiting so far has simply been a disaster, there's no debating that. Hopefully given time to learn the lay of the land and evaluate guys themselves, Johnson and Moorhead will have better luck in the 2019 class. With only 3 HS OL signed in the 2 classes ahead of 2019, we will certainly be able to pitch the chance for playing time as true sophomores

Leeshouldveflanked
02-01-2018, 10:07 AM
I think we have went back and offered Jaylon Reed as a packaged deal with Lovett... we may sign the OL from Starkville but I doubt he ever sees the field...Nebraska is a lot closer to Kansas than Starkville so that is biggest factor for Kansas OL...needless to say OL should be our #1,2 and 3 priority next year and we will definitely have to expand our recruiting area... I think Eddie smith will get an offer from Alabama.... if we haven't Hevesy'd Cole Smith, we would have been fine, but he pissed mama off... if we learned on lesson this year if they do not sign on early signing day they shouldn't be considered a commit...

Ifyouonlyknew
02-01-2018, 10:12 AM
I think we have went back and offered Jaylon Reed as a packaged deal with Lovett... we may sign the OL from Starkville but I doubt he ever sees the field...Nebraska is a lot closer to Kansas than Starkville so that is biggest factor for Kansas OL...needless to say OL should be our #1,2 and 3 priority next year and we will definitely have to expand our recruiting area... I think Eddie smith will get an offer from Alabama.... if we haven't Hevesy'd Cole Smith, we would have been fine, but he pissed mama off... if we learned on lesson this year if they do not sign on early signing day they shouldn't be considered a commit...

It's not a package deal.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2018, 10:13 AM
One thing that concerns me about this staff regarding Sampson, how were they not informed about his issues before contacting him? It was clear that even Ole Miss knew there was something wrong.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2018, 10:14 AM
It's not a package deal.

No, it's more of a oh shit we have 8 open scholarships to give.

civildawg
02-01-2018, 10:16 AM
So it's not a package deal, but this whole time everyone has said he's not a SEC player at all and now we are having to offer him because no one else will accept? I mean there's no sugar coating it. This has become disastrous. We are going to be basically on self imposed sanctions because we cant get even borderline guys to accept a scholarship. That is very concerning to me

Commercecomet24
02-01-2018, 10:17 AM

Now that made me laugh. Well done!

Bothrops
02-01-2018, 10:24 AM
Personally I think it'd be just as well for Jones to stay at ULL. Good opportunity for him. Maybe we can shoot for a transfer over the next few months.

civildawg
02-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Personally I think it'd be just as well for Jones to stay at ULL. Good opportunity for him. Maybe we can shoot for a transfer over the next few months.

I think that's one of the only ways you can fix it. Try to get a couple of transfers or hit the JUCOs super hard next year.

msstate7
02-01-2018, 10:28 AM

Exactly. Prepare to me branded anti-Moorhead

Tbonewannabe
02-01-2018, 11:24 AM
So it's not a package deal, but this whole time everyone has said he's not a SEC player at all and now we are having to offer him because no one else will accept? I mean there's no sugar coating it. This has become disastrous. We are going to be basically on self imposed sanctions because we cant get even borderline guys to accept a scholarship. That is very concerning to me

So par for the course over the last 9 years in recruiting. I would say the early signees keep this recruiting from being disastrous. We have the WRs we desperately had to have and a future QB who can hopefully redshirt as long as both guys are healthy. Dolla Bill is a future SEC starter so get him in and redshirt. We really need another OL but whoever it is will redshirt. You don't want freshmen on the line but sometimes it works out if you actually get a high caliber recruit that is ready day one.

I am not giving a pass on this recruiting class but I am waiting to see what they do for next year. We already seem to be after some big time recruits for next year so hopefully it works out. If nothing else, we at least will start recruiting like everyone else instead of the Polk method of offering guys who come to our camp.

Commercecomet24
02-01-2018, 11:38 AM
So par for the course over the last 9 years in recruiting. I would say the early signees keep this recruiting from being disastrous. We have the WRs we desperately had to have and a future QB who can hopefully redshirt as long as both guys are healthy. Dolla Bill is a future SEC starter so get him in and redshirt. We really need another OL but whoever it is will redshirt. You don't want freshmen on the line but sometimes it works out if you actually get a high caliber recruit that is ready day one.

I am not giving a pass on this recruiting class but I am waiting to see what they do for next year. We already seem to be after some big time recruits for next year so hopefully it works out. If nothing else, we at least will start recruiting like everyone else instead of the Polk method of offering guys who come to our camp.

Great post. Agreed.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Exactly. Prepare to me branded anti-Moorhead

STOP MELTING!!****

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-01-2018, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=Tbonewannabe;879676] I would say the early signees keep this recruiting from being disastrous.

Overall yes, the early signing period brings this class to a B. I'd say the early signing period alone was an A, would have been A+ had we landed Carvin and maybe offered & signed Winkel.

But this 2nd signing period is near F. Lose Mason, Lovett, McDowell, and add 0 people despite trying for Smith, Brule, the Vandy CB (Watson?), Winkel, and Robinson. We've wiffed on the backup to the backup OL targets, and are now offering guys we cut earlier because the staff believed they would find better guys. That shows that the staff themselves have done worse than they expected too, else they never would have told Reed to look elsewhere. He's now one of the biggest names we're hearing and we still have several pots to fill after that...

If we get Lovett to sign and keep Watson this late signing period gets a D- from me. If we get them and add Smith it's a C-. F if we only get Watson. Added to larger early signing period which was an A, and I'd say the class is a B overall. But there's no denying this 2nd period specifically has been terrible... lose almost half the remaining guys you wanted and had committed and then wiff on literally every backup before returning to guys you told to take a hike earlier to make more room. What else can tat be called but a disaster?

To clarify, I think this staff will be better on the field and better in recruiting too than the old one.... but this 2nd period specifically is a disaster. Turned what could have been the best class in a while into an average one for us

yjnkdawg
02-01-2018, 12:13 PM

When OM backs off of an Army All American player, that they could have signed, then you know things are really bad.