PDA

View Full Version : On a positive recruiting note:

dawgday166
01-31-2018, 02:17 PM
We had an OL coach at a 'cruits basketball game last night in Lawrence, Kansas ... WOW!

Did Hev ever travel that far or go try to find those under the radar midwest dudes?

msstate7
01-31-2018, 02:23 PM
Hope we get him bc we desperate right now, but I would rather have the ones we lost to sec schools.

I know it is fun to make fun of hev, but we have been pretty dang good on the oline the last 2 years and have a top 1/4 sec oline returning. Let us hope Johnson can coach the oline as good as hev

dawgday166
01-31-2018, 02:28 PM
Hope we get him bc we desperate right now, but I would rather have the ones we lost to sec schools.

I know it is fun to make fun of hev, but we have been pretty dang good on the oline the last 2 years and have a top 1/4 sec oline returning. Let us hope Johnson can coach the oline as good as hev

I agree. Hev got in gear and produced a good oline for last year and half (I'm not going full 2 years). I won't argue Hev can coach them up some. Just imagine tho if he had really hustled just a little in recruiting.

And his "gotta see em in camp" philosophy wasn't that good either. If this was Mullen's staff with all the recent strikeouts, we'd probably be throwing some offers at guys now that didn't have even remote chances of getting a D1 offer. No late traveling involved then LOL.

I hope Johnson can coach them up too.

Commercecomet24
01-31-2018, 02:32 PM
We had an OL coach at a 'cruits basketball game last night in Lawrence, Kansas ... WOW!

Did Hev ever travel that far or go try to find those under the radar midwest dudes?

That?s gonna be the difference in this staff and previous staff. This one won?t be outworked. I know everyone is impatient about recruiting right now but give them a chance to get everything in place. I think we are all gonna be happy in the future.

msstate7
01-31-2018, 02:33 PM
I agree. Hev got in gear and produced a good oline for last year and half (I'm not going full 2 years). I won't argue Hev can coach them up some. Just imagine tho if he had really hustled just a little in recruiting.

And his "gotta see em in camp" philosophy wasn't that good either. If this was Mullen's staff with all the recent strikeouts, we'd probably be throwing some offers at guys now that didn't have even remote chances of getting a D1 offer. No late traveling involved then LOL.

I hope Johnson can coach them up too.

Duke has been pretty solid in the acc considering their talent gap. Leads me to believe Johnson can coach.

Tbonewannabe
01-31-2018, 02:41 PM

Oddly enough, last year was probably his highest "recruiting rankings" Oline. It was pretty much 3 and 4 stars across the board with Rankin being the top Juco Olineman. It is amazing how much better our Oline got when we started beating Ark, UM, UT, and others for recruits instead of La Tech and USM. Nothing against those recruits because some became great players but typically the ceiling is a lot lower.

msstate7
01-31-2018, 02:43 PM
Oddly enough, last year was probably his highest "recruiting rankings" Oline. It was pretty much 3 and 4 stars across the board with Rankin being the top Juco Olineman. It is amazing how much better our Oline got when we started beating Ark, UM, UT, and others for recruits instead of La Tech and USM. Nothing against those recruits because some became great players but typically the ceiling is a lot lower.

All our olinemen from 2017 class RSed

dawgday166
01-31-2018, 03:16 PM
That?s gonna be the difference in this staff and previous staff. This one won?t be outworked. I know everyone is impatient about recruiting right now but give them a chance to get everything in place. I think we are all gonna be happy in the future.

I'm leaning this way too, right now.

Johnson85
01-31-2018, 03:37 PM
All our olinemen from 2017 class RSed

He was referring to the Oline on the field. Rankin - Top rated JUCO. Jenkins and Calhoun - both 3* (and I believe both were last second offers, so I'm not sure we really beat anybody for them), Reese was a 4* I think that was waiting for a FSU offer that never came. Don't remember Daryl William's recruiting was.

tcdog70
01-31-2018, 03:43 PM
didn't we red shirt-Champion and Phillips 2 JUCO O-linemen

msstate7
01-31-2018, 03:46 PM
He was referring to the Oline on the field. Rankin - Top rated JUCO. Jenkins and Calhoun - both 3* (and I believe both were last second offers, so I'm not sure we really beat anybody for them), Reese was a 4* I think that was waiting for a FSU offer that never came. Don't remember Daryl William's recruiting was.

I dumb

dawgs
01-31-2018, 03:56 PM

This is why crootin’ rankings matter. Some c-USA caliber croots turn into studs, but the path from c-USA crook to quality sec starter is a lot longer with a lot more chance for derailment than sec caliber croot to quality sec starter.

confucius say
01-31-2018, 04:17 PM

Calhoun was a composite 2 star. A 78.

Jenkins was a 2 or 3 depending on where you look. He was a 80.

Reese was a 3 star. A 87.

Eiland was a 3 star. A 85.

Williams was a 3 star. A 88.

Our 2017 ol was a typical Hevesy ol as far as ratings go.

confucius say
01-31-2018, 04:21 PM
This is why crootin’ rankings matter. Some c-USA caliber croots turn into studs, but the path from c-USA crook to quality sec starter is a lot longer with a lot more chance for derailment than sec caliber croot to quality sec starter.

Our 2 star and low to mid 3 star ol have kicked the ass of our high 3 star and 4 star ol.

HancockCountyDog
01-31-2018, 04:27 PM
Calhoun was a composite 2 star. A 78.

Jenkins was a 2 or 3 depending on where you look. He was a 80.

Reese was a 3 star. A 87.

Eiland was a 3 star. A 85.

Williams was a 3 star. A 88.

Our 2017 ol was a typical Hevesy ol as far as ratings go.

It was a damn good OL for most of the year as well. Say what you want about Hev's recruiting ability, but we didn't have many years where our OL wasn't at least decent, and in some years it was downright nasty.

Todd4State
01-31-2018, 07:03 PM
It was a damn good OL for most of the year as well. Say what you want about Hev's recruiting ability, but we didn't have many years where our OL wasn't at least decent, and in some years it was downright nasty.

How quickly we have forgotten the year where we had to start a DT at OT and then 2015 where we had to start a TE at OT. We've also had to start a walk-on which is rare nowadays- and Beckwith was a player who probably should have been offered that we were fortunate to get anyway.

Even this year- Dan's decision to not redshirt Jamaal Clayborn hurt us because it forced us to move Jenkins from LG to C causing us to break up our best left side of the o-line during Dan's tenure. And then Jenkins had some snapping problems at times and Reese had some issues with false starts. Of course Reese was a redshirt freshman who probably should have been a bak up had someone's lazy ass actually brought in someone who was an upperclassman instead of consistently undersigning most years. And thank you T-Buck for Reese or we would have had zero depth.

I'd venture to say that Hevesy's unit while good against Kentucky and La Tech was one of the main reasons why Dan couldn't take the next step and really hurt us in both the 2014 and 2015 Egg Bowl. His unit's lack of players in the NFL speaks volumes as well.

I will say this about Marcus Johnson- at least if he sucks as a coach or a recruiter Joe won't keep him around for nine years.

Bully13
01-31-2018, 07:30 PM
So or we getting dude from Kansas or not?

NCDawg
01-31-2018, 07:37 PM
How quickly we have forgotten the year where we had to start a DT at OT and then 2015 where we had to start a TE at OT. We've also had to start a walk-on which is rare nowadays- and Beckwith was a player who probably should have been offered that we were fortunate to get anyway.

Even this year- Dan's decision to not redshirt Jamaal Clayborn hurt us because it forced us to move Jenkins from LG to C causing us to break up our best left side of the o-line during Dan's tenure. And then Jenkins had some snapping problems at times and Reese had some issues with false starts. Of course Reese was a redshirt freshman who probably should have been a bak up had someone's lazy ass actually brought in someone who was an upperclassman instead of consistently undersigning most years. And thank you T-Buck for Reese or we would have had zero depth.

I'd venture to say that Hevesy's unit while good against Kentucky and La Tech was one of the main reasons why Dan couldn't take the next step and really hurt us in both the 2014 and 2015 Egg Bowl. His unit's lack of players in the NFL speaks volumes as well.

I will say this about Marcus Johnson- at least if he sucks as a coach or a recruiter Joe won't keep him around for nine years.

I agree. You pretty much nailed it.

yjnkdawg
01-31-2018, 07:42 PM
Duke has been pretty solid in the acc considering their talent gap. Leads me to believe Johnson can coach.

If Johnson couldn't coach then Cutcliffe would not have promoted him to offensive line coach. Cutcliffe thought highly of him as a coach (recruiter too). Johnson played at OM under Cutcliffe, but Cutcliffe did not go along with the Network philosophy of recruiting. He recruited good kids the right way.

Commercecomet24
01-31-2018, 07:44 PM
If Johnson couldn't coach then Cutcliffe would not have promoted him to offensive line coach. Cutcliffe thought highly of him as a coach (recruiter too). Johnson played at OM under Cutcliffe, but Cutcliffe did not go along with the Network philosophy of recruiting. He recruited good kids the right way.

Great points.

yjnkdawg
01-31-2018, 07:46 PM

He' is still scheduled for an OV this weekend.

Todd4State
01-31-2018, 08:07 PM

And that's why I'm not worried about Johnson and Ole Miss. If you coach at Ole Miss, you have to be willing to play by the rules of their Network. Which really limits who they can hire and probably why they end up hiring so many former players as coaches.

It's also probably why they will never hire a Tony Dungy.

Turfdawg67
01-31-2018, 08:21 PM
I agree. You pretty much nailed it.

Ditto.

BuckyIsAB****
01-31-2018, 09:25 PM

2015 was the worst OL I have seen in my lifetime

msstate7
01-31-2018, 09:32 PM

Not sure if that was entirely the oline?s fault. We are a run first team that went completely pass happy and used a rb that could not run between the tackles

BuckyIsAB****
01-31-2018, 09:41 PM
Not sure if that was entirely the oline?s fault. We are a run first team that went completely pass happy and used a rb that could not run between the tackles

Yeah and they were so bad they couldnt pass block or run block. Hevesy should be charged with assault for what that OL allowed to happen to Dak his SR yr vs Bama.

Rufus Warren was the worst SEC OL I have ever seen nothing but love for the guy but he was simply outgunned

Commercecomet24
01-31-2018, 10:11 PM
Yeah and they were so bad they couldnt pass block or run block. Hevesy should be charged with assault for what that OL allowed to happen to Dak his SR yr vs Bama.

Rufus Warren was the worst SEC OL I have ever seen nothing but love for the guy but he was simply outgunned

Bama and unm both abused Dak in 15. We lucky he didn?t get seriously injured

IMissJack
01-31-2018, 10:24 PM

I don't know, but whenever we go head to head with another school for Olinemen I usually chalk it up as a loss based on recent history. If we lose to KS it really is bad. I have to wonder what MSU is not doing that others are??**

Homedawg
01-31-2018, 11:05 PM

Please stop w the narrative. Just not true. Doug buckles, tre stallings, mike espy, Johnson, and many others. This is dead wrong. Now was he as crooked as Nutt or freeze? No. But cutcliffe wasn't clean. Not at all. Just absurd.

Homedawg
01-31-2018, 11:07 PM

You must not be ten then, cause the last croom line was beyond awful and we put lots of way way worse lines on the field than the 15 line.

BuckyIsAB****
01-31-2018, 11:41 PM
You must not be ten then, cause the last croom line was beyond awful and we put lots of way way worse lines on the field than the 15 line.

Oh I witnessed that 08 line and the demolishing in that Egg Bowl but that team had quit by then. That 15 line was trying and still getting ran through like croton oil

Commercecomet24
01-31-2018, 11:45 PM

Tony Shell played behind a really bad ol and poor Kevin Fants senior season was just brutal. He probably still having nightmares.

FISHDAWG
02-01-2018, 08:27 AM

Yes ... he went to a BB game in my hometown back in Pike County Georgia to see a recruit - can't remember the recruit's name now but my buddy who is a state grad was at the game and saw it for himself

MedDawg
02-01-2018, 08:44 AM
Bama and unm both abused Dak in 15. We lucky he didn?t get seriously injured

OM and Bama both did, for sure. However, and I'm not completely sure, but didn't State lead or nearly lead the country in sacks allowed before 2015 Bama and OM? And didn't we have two or three OL starters out for the OM game? Now that I think about it, I think they rolled over and took out one of our starters at the beginning of the game. Sounds familiar.

MedDawg
02-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Please stop w the narrative. Just not true. Doug buckles, tre stallings, mike espy, Johnson, and many others. This is dead wrong. Now was he as crooked as Nutt or freeze? No. But cutcliffe wasn't clean. Not at all. Just absurd.

Cut also had David "Eight Year Show Cause" Saunders as his RECRUITING COORDINATOR for 3-4 years.

Liverpooldawg
02-01-2018, 08:48 AM

You must be 10 or so.

Liverpooldawg
02-01-2018, 08:51 AM

I have some beach front property in the Tombigbee Bottom I?d like to sell you. No need to come look at it it first.