PDA

View Full Version : OT but need any input possible about water leak in a new house prior to buying

Tbonewannabe
01-29-2018, 10:04 AM
So we are building a new townhouse and they had the sprinkler system in test mode. Apparently a dumbass painter decided he wanted to wash his brushes out and turned the damn thing on full blast. It blew a joint and wet the floor in the 3rd floor and ceiling & floor in the 2nd. They immediately had restoration people come out and the insurance people. There are 50 fans in the building along with some tubes into the ceiling on the 2nd floor.

They will have testing done and I guess I can ask for secondary testing also done. What should I look for and what kind of testing do I need to request? We are supposed to take ownership of the house on Feb 15th and we have a 1 year home warranty that covers everything. Do I need to worry about black mold at all since they immediately started working on it?

Coldsleeve Jr.
01-29-2018, 10:13 AM
There’s a little probe they use to test moisture in porous surfaces like wood. Main thing you want to look for is moisture between 7%-8%. Above that and may risk warping etc. You can buy a probe from Lowe’s for around $40 if memory serves.

parabrave
01-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Also check your water pressure you might need to get a regulator. Best thing is to have an inspection done.

Tbonewannabe
01-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Just wanted to be clear, the builder is having everything done since we don't take ownership until February 15th. We are on the hook for zero of this right now. They are dealing with it 100% but our realtor said if we wanted additional testing that they would do it. Do I ask for a second test run by a different company? Also, is there anything else I should ask about?

tireddawg
01-29-2018, 12:34 PM
Have it replaced. Don't take any chances. Same thing happened to a customer of mine and a year later he hired me to go in and tear it out and kill the mold and replace it. Warranty or not, you don't want to deal with mold. Good advice on the regulator. Get all your plumbing re-checked.

WinningIsRelentless
01-29-2018, 12:54 PM
If you tell the contractor you are going to walk away from it he should push the painters insurance to tear it out and replace it and pay any additional living expense you incur.

WinningIsRelentless
01-29-2018, 01:00 PM
Also check your water pressure you might need to get a regulator. Best thing is to have an inspection done.

The painter probably just watered hammered the system. Code dictates what can go on sprinkler systems and the contractor would have already calculated the psi and pressure at the base of the system because they need a certain gpm with friction loss.

Tbonewannabe
01-29-2018, 01:04 PM
The painter probably just watered hammered the system. Code dictates what can go on sprinkler systems and the contractor would have already calculated the psi and pressure at the base of the system because they need a certain gpm with friction loss.

The way it was told to me, the water would have been slowly turned up instead of being turned wide open in one move.

WinningIsRelentless
01-29-2018, 01:07 PM
The way it was told to me, the water would have been slowly turned up instead of being turned wide open in one move.

Yea he just waterhammered the system. You have to turn the main on slowly to prevent a larger hit at the end of the system that cause a blowout and that's what happened.

Tbonewannabe
01-29-2018, 01:14 PM
Yea he just waterhammered the system. You have to turn the main on slowly to prevent a larger hit at the end of the system that cause a blowout and that's what happened.

Sounds like you know what you are talking about so do I have anything to worry about in the future in your opinion?

Coldsleeve Jr.
01-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Just wanted to be clear, the builder is having everything done since we don't take ownership until February 15th. We are on the hook for zero of this right now. They are dealing with it 100% but our realtor said if we wanted additional testing that they would do it. Do I ask for a second test run by a different company? Also, is there anything else I should ask about?

Definitely do a second test run from a different company if they're paying for it.

WinningIsRelentless
01-29-2018, 01:28 PM

Sounds like you know what you are talking about so do I have anything to worry about in the future in your opinion?

From a plumbing/sprinkler system probably not. Now mold and electrical issues is a different story. You may be fine or you may not. If it were me, I would force them to open it up. I've had experience with these claims before and honestly for the insurance company it's probably cheaper for them to just pay to open it up and replace vs what these water restoration companies charge. The problem you run into is the gl policy has a "Your Work" exclusion which means your painter would have to repaint everything and not get any money from insurance company.

RIdog
01-30-2018, 03:02 PM
Run ! Take it from someone who has dealt with mold and ended up in the hospital - nothing is worth the risk .