PDA

View Full Version : I'm Feeling Wooly- We're Going to Omaha this year

Todd4State
01-28-2018, 11:26 PM
Why?

You need pitching to win championships. We have a first round pick ace. We have a guy that the experts don't know about yet because he was hurt as our Saturday guy. We have a Sunday guy that was an ace at Tulane and owns LSU. Our bullpen has at least three guys that have closer experience- and two of them lost the closer job because of injury- not performance. Our midweek guy is a fifth year senior who has some SEC and regional starting experience and has had some success.

I believe that you have to be strong up the middle- Stovall and LA are probably the best defensive MIF in the SEC. Mangum is an All-American candidate. I expect all three to be .300 hitters. Catcher is a question mark though.

I think our corner guys are going to be a couple of freshmen who might surprise some experts- Tanner Allen, Josh Hatcher, and Rowdy Jordan. And then MacNamee and Vansau will start and are veterans who I think will take a big step forward.

Gentleman- get with your mortgage broker and start taking out that second loan and get your ass to Omaha!

Hail State!

Coach34
01-28-2018, 11:57 PM
Would be beyond shocking if Belmont hit .300- he is Humphries vs RHP's- cant hit the slider. But he should certainly improve this year at the plate.

I certainly think we have a shot at Omaha as well. Cant wait to start the season

Commercecomet24
01-29-2018, 12:05 AM
Im feeling cautiously optimistic cause we got a great pitching staff and Cann will find a way to get runs. Gonna be a good year!

Bully13
01-29-2018, 12:24 AM
My wool runneth over. Thank you. Great post.

ShotgunDawg
01-29-2018, 12:54 AM
We have good pitching this year and, while it?s unlikely, don?t be shocked if Small goes higher in the draft than Pilkington.

The problem is that everyone else has pitching as well.

Arkansas has more pitching than anyone

Florida has 2 first rounders

South Carolina has Adam Hill

Ole Miss has more pitching than most anyone

Auburn has two top 50 overall picks in their rotation.

Gonna be lots of low scoring games in the SEC as their are very few hitters and lots of top 2 round pitching.

I expect Vandy and LSU to have down years. Both lack impact starting pitching

I expect Arkansas and Florida to duke it out for the title. Arkansas has the best lineup in the league while Florida the best Friday and Saturday guy.

Bully13
01-29-2018, 03:46 AM
We have good pitching this year and, while it?s unlikely, don?t be shocked if Small goes higher in the draft than Pilkington.

The problem is that everyone else has pitching as well.

Arkansas has more pitching than anyone

Florida has 2 first rounders

South Carolina has Adam Hill

Ole Miss has more pitching than most anyone

Auburn has two top 50 overall picks in their rotation.

Gonna be lots of low scoring games in the SEC as their are very few hitters and lots of top 2 round pitching.

I expect Vandy and LSU to have down years. Both lack impact starting pitching

I expect Arkansas and Florida to duke it out for the title. Arkansas has the best lineup in the league while Florida the best Friday and Saturday guy.

Ahhhh, you suck uuGAIN!!!

shoeless joe
01-29-2018, 07:42 AM
I will be in "show me" mode with our offense. As long as pilk doesn't have a let down year we should be good on the mound.

RougeDawg
01-29-2018, 11:45 AM
I will be in "show me" mode with our offense. As long as pilk doesn't have a let down year we should be good on the mound.

This is year 1.5 for Cann. I fully expect to see an improvement on offense and further improvement into 2 full years. LSU showed improvement after 1 full year, But really blossomed after 2 years.

Pitching is always ahead of hitting to start a season, so we should be good to go and start hitting our stride during conference play heading to post season.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-29-2018, 11:46 AM
Agreed! Let's play ball!!

BrunswickDawg
01-29-2018, 12:38 PM
As much praise as Cann is getting - and it is deserved - we need to give some props to Gary Henderson. He has brought some real stability to the pitching staff after the Tommy John fest that Vern Troyer was.

Coach34
01-29-2018, 12:47 PM
yep- curious to see if UPig loses some arms this Spring

msstate7
01-29-2018, 12:50 PM

Forgot about that.

The Federalist Engineer
01-29-2018, 03:08 PM
This is always the case, when was the last time the SEC was weak and talent-less. Omaha has become a mini-SEC tournament. 2-Conference teams played for the NC last year.

Ole Miss always has had more paper talent than most schools for about 10 years. Even Georgia will generally have a big-time arm and two or three field-players than anyone would want

The strength of the conference means we can't freak out if we lose a road series or get shut-out by a big-time pitcher.

17 wins will be a good accomplishment in this SEC (for anyone except Florida) unless you get the easier cross-divisional opponents.

SmokeyDawg
01-29-2018, 03:20 PM
How big is it for us to have 5 home series out of the other 7 sec teams in d1 top 16?

ShotgunDawg
01-29-2018, 03:32 PM

Their gonna have to lose about 5+ for anyone to notice. Crazy depth and power

Until proven otherwise, I still contend that our injury issue was far more related to having 3 pitching coaches in 1 year than anything that Johnson did.

Tbonewannabe
01-29-2018, 03:44 PM
Their gonna have to lose about 5+ for anyone to notice. Crazy depth and power

Until proven otherwise, I still contend that our injury issue was far more related to having 3 pitching coaches in 1 year than anything that Johnson did.

I still think it was him pushing too much too fast. You can get crazy gains by changing things up but you run a risk of injury. Going 0 to 100 on exercises that you haven't done before is always risky.

ShotgunDawg
01-29-2018, 04:10 PM
I still think it was him pushing too much too fast. You can get crazy gains by changing things up but you run a risk of injury. Going 0 to 100 on exercises that you haven't done before is always risky.

Maybe but he got to MSU in October. What else was he supposed to do?

That?s just a hyposthesis anyway. Mine is actually fact. We had 3 pitching coaches in 1 year. That?s awful when they all have different plans

Coach34
01-29-2018, 04:15 PM
That?s just a hyposthesis anyway. Mine is actually fact. We had 3 pitching coaches in 1 year. That?s awful when they all have different plans

no doubt about it

Figures the year we are loaded on the mound so is 1/2 of the conference. Wont be many slugfests in 2018

Tbonewannabe
01-29-2018, 04:58 PM
Maybe but he got to MSU in October. What else was he supposed to do?

That is a hypothesis also. It is fact that he got there late and there was sizable jumps in velocity. There are changes in coaching staffs for a lot of programs without having about half the staff blowing out their arms.

ShotgunDawg
01-29-2018, 06:30 PM
That is a hypothesis also. It is fact that he got there late and there was sizable jumps in velocity. There are changes in coaching staffs for a lot of programs without having about half the staff blowing out their arms.

It’s unmeasurable.

First off, how many other teams had 3 pitching coaches in a year?

Secondly, of those teams, how many of those coaches were so drastically different in their coaching styles as what we had?

HoopsDawg
01-29-2018, 06:38 PM
Would be beyond shocking if Belmont hit .300- he is Humphries vs RHP's- cant hit the slider. But he should certainly improve this year at the plate.

I certainly think we have a shot at Omaha as well. Cant wait to start the season

He went 0-6 this past weekend, but hit some balls hard. 0 K's.

Our top 4 in the order right now:
1. Mangum 2. Stovall 3. Macnamee 4. Vansau

Hatcher had a good first weekend. Went 4-6 with a homer. If he could win the 1B job, we could play MacNamee in the OF and get another bat in the lineup-someone like Tanner Allen.

Tbonewannabe
01-29-2018, 07:52 PM
It?s unmeasurable.

First off, how many other teams had 3 pitching coaches in a year?

Secondly, of those teams, how many of those coaches were so drastically different in their coaching styles as what we had?

It isn't like one of them had everyone throwing side arm. Mini me uses methods that have people jumping 3-5 mph over short times. If your muscles grow too fast then your ligaments and tendons don't catch up as fast. It is very common in the poultry industry. If chickens get too big too quickly then their tendons in their legs pop.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-29-2018, 08:28 PM
It is very common in the poultry industry. If chickens get too big too quickly then their tendons in their legs pop.

I'm going to go with what this guy says because using poultry in your strength, stretching, and conditioning program is cutting edge.

Tbonewannabe
01-29-2018, 10:40 PM
I'm going to go with what this guy says because using poultry in your strength, stretching, and conditioning program is cutting edge.

LOL, God made muscles, ligaments, and tendons the same in all creatures. At least I think I remember that from biology class. At the end of the day, we won't know what caused it but having someone who radically adds velocity to guys in a short amount of time is just as likely as 3 different coaches telling guys to long toss. Other than mini me, I haven't heard of Henderson or Butch having some weird philosophy.

The Federalist Engineer
01-30-2018, 07:01 AM
It isn't like one of them had everyone throwing side arm. Mini me uses methods that have people jumping 3-5 mph over short times. If your muscles grow too fast then your ligaments and tendons don't catch up as fast. It is very common in the poultry industry. If chickens get too big too quickly then their tendons in their legs pop.

Greatest and most authentic Mississippi State Post Ever! We know Poultry! (My dad is literally an agricultural engineer from MSU, but his area was bovine genetics)

Tbonewannabe
01-30-2018, 09:50 AM
Greatest and most authentic Mississippi State Post Ever! We know Poultry! (My dad is literally an agricultural engineer from MSU, but his area was bovine genetics)

I graduated with a Business Management degree but went into the management program at Sanderson Farms. I worked as a Quality Control Supervisor for almost 7 years so I have seen plenty of black legs from 10 to 13 lb chickens.

Todd4State
06-11-2018, 12:27 AM
I told y'all.

Hail State!

DownwardDawg
06-11-2018, 12:32 AM
Lol. Well played!!! Nice bump!

3rdGen
06-11-2018, 12:34 AM
Man, that’s all I can say. I am speechless.

MetEdDawg
06-11-2018, 12:35 AM
Damn. That post aged really well. Damn fine job.

I seen it dawg
06-11-2018, 12:36 AM
Hahahahahaha just like you planned it

shoeless joe
06-11-2018, 12:38 AM
If his name was hendo4state many in here would say that it was still a bad prediction even tho it worked out...

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2018, 07:29 AM
As much praise as Cann is getting - and it is deserved - we need to give some props to Gary Henderson. He has brought some real stability to the pitching staff after the Tommy John fest that Vern Troyer was.

LOL -here, I fixed my post - we need to give some props to Gary Henderson. He has brought some real stability to the TEAM after the CLUSTER F*** that CANN was.

99jc
06-11-2018, 07:48 AM
I told y'all.

Hail State!

at 2-7 you weren't saying that.

IMissJack
06-11-2018, 10:41 AM
Nice call..

PMDawg
06-11-2018, 11:38 AM
I told y'all.

Hail State!

LOL - Not that any of the reasons you listed played out, nor did the season go as planned - but I guess you still called it.

yjnkdawg
06-11-2018, 01:56 PM
But would you have called it after the Cann fiasco?. I would say reading your posts, NO. Different players ( not referring to baseball players) involved from the past to the present.