PDA

View Full Version : Baseball offense

BuckyIsAB****
01-26-2018, 09:28 PM
We should be good enough pitching wise to make a run but baseball folk in the know, who will be the guys that lead our offense this year besides Mangum, Stovall other returners.

Whos the breakout guy or guys

Goldendawg
01-26-2018, 09:31 PM
I think LA has a good year at the plate. Had a good summer at the Cape and will be his first SEC season not playing with a hand or wrist injury. Hail State!

Coach34
01-26-2018, 09:47 PM
Belmont wasnt hurt last Spring. Everybody gets bumps and bruises playing ball. Hopefully it was his adjustment year and he can hit at least .240 in SEC play this year. Need Stovall to stay healthy also.

confucius say
01-26-2018, 10:04 PM
Staff is big on tanner Allen and rowdy Jordan. Both true freshman and both projected in opening day lineup bc of their offense. Foscue too hopefully, at third.

Cann seems to think mcnamee and Vansau are ready to make a jump.

Goldendawg
01-26-2018, 10:06 PM
Belmont wasnt hurt last Spring. Everybody gets bumps and bruises playing ball. Hopefully it was his adjustment year and he can hit at least .240 in SEC play this year. Need Stovall to stay healthy also.

Was't talking about last Spring. Was talking about his injuries during his true Freshman and Soph regular seasons. I though he still struck out a lot at the cape but hope he's 100% now and has a breakout Jr year at the plate and beats .240 in the SEC. Who do you think came replace lost power numbers this season?

Coach34
01-26-2018, 10:09 PM
Was't talking about last Spring. Was talking about his injuries during his true Freshman and Soph regular seasons. I though he still struck out a lot at the cape but hope he's 100% now and has a breakout Jr year at the plate and beats .240 in the SEC. Who do you think came replace lost power numbers this season?

last Spring was his true Soph season

Goldendawg
01-26-2018, 10:19 PM
last Spring was his true Soph season

Get my seasons mixed up with baseball starting in Feb. I thought he had a hand injury his Freshman year and his wrist operated on after his Soph year. Anyway time to make some noise his Jr year with the bat.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-26-2018, 10:20 PM
Make or Break Year for Belmont....

BuckyIsAB****
01-26-2018, 10:41 PM
Staff is big on tanner Allen and rowdy Jordan. Both true freshman and both projected in opening day lineup bc of their offense. Foscue too hopefully, at third.

Cann seems to think mcnamee and Vansau are ready to make a jump.

Hold up, theres a kid on our team named Rowdy Jordan??

The Federalist Engineer
01-27-2018, 01:17 AM
Gilbert (c) is expected to be a hitter, hopefully Jack Kruger 2.0

Vansau and Macnamee are expected to make a big leap

Justin Foscue (3B) is a big kid with power hitter exit velocity

Tanner Allen, Hatcher, and Lovell are advanced freshmen hitters

Jordan Anderson (of) should be a first round draftee in three seasons

There is much to be exited about for 2018 and beyond.

Todd4State
01-27-2018, 01:32 AM
I expect Mangum, Stovall, LA, MacNamee, and Vansau to be leaders offensively. Obviously we are going to have to play some freshmen/newcomers that we are going to need to step up for us but it's hard to know what we're going to get from any of them. If one of them has a year like Jake Mangum did his freshman year it will help immensely.

Tanner Allen is the kind of player LSU normally gets that contributes as a freshman. Jordan Westburg has a high ceiling but Rowdey Jordan had the best summer in a collegiate league of all of our hitters. Justin Foscue played pretty well in the fall and put himself in the mix at third. We'll see who performs when the lights are on. Jordan Anderson is the highest rated hitting prospect that we have gotten to school in awhile probably going back to Mitch Moreland and Ed Easley. Josh Hatcher was drated by the Angels and has a bright future for us.

Gilbert played in a weak JUCO league so we'll see how he does- but I'm not expecting a Kruger level performance.

Todd4State
01-27-2018, 01:39 AM
Another thing about our hitting- Cann is a MUCH better hitting coach than Cohen was. Gautreau is a good hitting coach as well. Cohen usually had a better recruiter than hitting coach but Gautreau is better than the ones that Cohen or Polk II had as a combination of both. Cann is the best of all of them but anyway my point is we have much better hitting coaching than we've had since the 1990's. Cann didn't mess around too much with our guys last year because of the timing of his hire- so I could see some guys making some surprising jumps.

Cann is the guy that "saved" Kramer Robertson's career at LSU plus there are some former LSU players like Alex Bregman that are VERY high on Cann as a hitting coach. Rooker credits Cann for helping him take it to the next level.

Something to keep in mind going into this year.

confucius say
01-27-2018, 09:45 AM
Hold up, theres a kid on our team named Rowdy Jordan??

Yep

BuckyIsAB****
01-27-2018, 09:50 AM
Yep

He better be good to have a name that cool

RougeDawg
01-27-2018, 12:39 PM
Another thing about our hitting- Cann is a MUCH better hitting coach than Cohen was. Gautreau is a good hitting coach as well. Cohen usually had a better recruiter than hitting coach but Gautreau is better than the ones that Cohen or Polk II had as a combination of both. Cann is the best of all of them but anyway my point is we have much better hitting coaching than we've had since the 1990's. Cann didn't mess around too much with our guys last year because of the timing of his hire- so I could see some guys making some surprising jumps.

Cann is the guy that "saved" Kramer Robertson's career at LSU plus there are some former LSU players like Alex Bregman that are VERY high on Cann as a hitting coach. Rooker credits Cann for helping him take it to the next level.

You better watch it around here talking about Cohen?s lack of hitting instruction. You?ll have people telling you you should be coaching and you don?t know what you are talking about.

Cann will do the little tweaks and things thag make huge impacts. This is what used to make me livid during Cohen. He could have made some minor adjustments to hand placement and other small mechanics adjustments that will improve overall power and average. I?ve seen a guy with warning track power, move his hands a couple inches in one direction, depending on what he was doing, and start hitting massive bombs. Added 20-30% to his distance. Same can be said with gold. There are usually easy fixes. It just takes 4-6 months of repetitive practice to fully change a swing. The bad habits will sneak back in regularly and you have to fight it. I never saw any of this with our players under Cohen until after the cake back from summer leagues and received mechanics/technique clashing.

Todd4State
01-27-2018, 01:28 PM
You better watch it around here talking about Cohen?s lack of hitting instruction. You?ll have people telling you you should be coaching and you don?t know what you are talking about.

Cann will do the little tweaks and things thag make huge impacts. This is what used to make me livid during Cohen. He could have made some minor adjustments to hand placement and other small mechanics adjustments that will improve overall power and average. I?ve seen a guy with warning track power, move his hands a couple inches in one direction, depending on what he was doing, and start hitting massive bombs. Added 20-30% to his distance. Same can be said with gold. There are usually easy fixes. It just takes 4-6 months of repetitive practice to fully change a swing. The bad habits will sneak back in regularly and you have to fight it. I never saw any of this with our players under Cohen until after the cake back from summer leagues and received mechanics/technique clashing.

I wouldn't say Cohen was bad. I would say that Cohen was good and Cann is elite.

The Federalist Engineer
01-27-2018, 01:30 PM
I think it would have been great for MSU and Reid Humphries if he had red shirted as freshman and then had a year with Cann (17) and two years of pitching (16 and 17)

He might have been a 1st round pitcher, he might have been a rival to Louisville’s McKay for dual threat

Todd4State
01-27-2018, 01:58 PM
I think it would have been great for MSU and Reid Humphries if he had red shirted as freshman and then had a year with Cann (17) and two years of pitching (16 and 17)

He might have been a 1st round pitcher, he might have been a rival to Louisville’s McKay for dual threat

It would have been great for us but with the draft and MLB age clock most guys don't want to risk sitting out a year like that and I can understand that.

shoeless joe
01-27-2018, 02:49 PM

You were a Cohen basher that thought you were a better coach than Cohen. Plus your observations and recommendations weren't always accurate.

There were some areas where Cohen could have improved/adjusted but the son of a gun is prolly the best baseball coach we've had...arguably. however, I certainly like the current role he's in and his replacement.

The Federalist Engineer
01-27-2018, 03:59 PM
...but look what that year did for Rooker....but your absolutely right, the draft pundits even referred to Rooker as aged

I seen it dawg
01-28-2018, 08:21 PM

Don’t think everyone quite understands what we have hired in our head baseball coach

AlSwearengen
01-28-2018, 09:22 PM
Cann’s first year at LSU, the LSU people were fretting about how bad their offense was going into the season. All the talk was about how LSU was so weak offensively. Ben McDonald talked about it.

At the end of the year, LSU led the conference in hitting and everyone proclaimed Cann a genius.