PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if any of you listen to the daily grind or anything on Bulldog Soprts

cheewgumm
10-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Radio.

One of the guys on there is making the case that we (Miss State) are 60 yrs behind in building a program. I think this argument is ignorant. With the exception of maybe Alabama, nothing that happened back in the 60s, 70s or even probably the 80s has shit to do with what happens now.

It just makes no sense. I think a lot of people believe this, but its not like a company that you build up through sales through years and years. It is about money, but us and Ole Miss are basically in the same spot right now, and I don;t know how many fake national championships they have.

LSU beats us to death because they recruit like crazy....there is one SEC school in Louisiana. Trade places wiht them and see what happens.

the only school I'll give the "built over time argument" to is Bama. Other than that, its meaningless.

Coach34
10-02-2013, 07:01 PM
I certainly agree with it.

aGAIN- there is a reason nobody outside of the top 6 of the SEC title in the last 51 years. Those teams had much better programs before we did, established tradition and facilities long before us, have bigger fanbases and larger stadiums, have established brands, etc...

And that's the reason those teams are always chosen by CBS to play the top SEC game of the week. You have Georgia playing a shitty Tenn team is the CBS game and not OM-Aub which matches up a couple of 3-1 teams and should be a close game.

Coach34
10-02-2013, 07:02 PM
LSU beats us to death because they recruit like crazy....there is one SEC school in Louisiana. Trade places wiht them and see what happens.

We used to beat LSU constantly in the 70's and early 80's...it was the same thing then too

cheewgumm
10-02-2013, 07:03 PM
More people follow them because they have larger populations.

aGAIN- there is a reason nobody outside of the top 6 of the SEC title in the last 51 years. Those teams had much better programs before we did, established tradition and facilities long before us, have bigger fanbases and larger stadiums, have established brands, etc...

And that's the reason those teams are always chosen by CBS to play the top SEC game of the week. You have Georgia playing a shitty Tenn team is the CBS game and not OM-Aub which matches up a couple of 3-1 teams and should be a close game.

Political Hack
10-02-2013, 07:07 PM
and because they brand themselves correctly and have awesome game day experiences that aren't ruined by a hundred thirty second $1,500 commercials, crappy video productions, and stupid scheduling decisions.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2013, 07:23 PM

I agree with this, but prefer to look ahead and not behind. While we WERE 60 years behind, we are now much closer and here are a few reason why.

1. We are playing nationally televised games most weeks now. 10 years ago that wasn't the case.

2. The population of MS and the south is increasing, and more kids are playing high school football than ever before. As long as Bama and LSU can only sign 25 players per year, this has to help. No way around it.

3. Many of the SEC's biggest and best stadiums have been maximized. Bama's can get any bigger, and while LSU's can get bigger, they don't alway pack it out. However, we are expanding ours and it has plenty of room for expansion. The gap is closing

4. We've caught up with the top schools in the country in support facilities - Seal building

5. Much like the NFL, with the TV product becoming so good, college football attendance is teetering backwards. Not much, only 1% to 3% per year, but non-the-less it isn't going up. Therefore, we should be only closing the gap in stadium experience.

6. SEC Network - yes Alabama will always have more money than us, but, at some point, they are going to run out of places to use it. They can't expand the stadium any further or really build any new facility that we can't match. We now have the money to keep up facility and support staff wise.

7. 7 on 7 teams, in our ass backwards state we have struggled for the better part of 100 years in recruiting and developing skill position talent. However, with high schools now playing 7 on 7 at a high rate, there will simply be more really good QBs to recruit. I have always thought that in order for MSU to win the SEC, we wold have to acquire a Manziel or Newton type QB, and since, as we go forward, there should be more of these types of players to recruit, the odds are that we will have a better chance of acquiring one.

Feel free to add more reasons, but I think the evidence proves that, while it may happen very incrementally, parody is coming to the SEC. I don't see how it doesn't.

Coach34
10-02-2013, 07:34 PM
More people follow them because they have larger populations.

Well, we're not ever going to win the population battle, which means we wont get the prime slot games very often, which means we continue to lag behind andat a disadvantage....see how it is?

Coach34
10-02-2013, 07:36 PM
I agree we are closing the gap- but it's still a grand canyon sized gap between the Big 7 and the rest of us