01-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Wonder if they will kneel?

BeardoMSU
01-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Competition, lol?

Coach007
01-25-2018, 11:28 AM
Competition, lol?

Yep. XFL is being announced today, and this time.. it's a little more serious than it was.

https://i.redd.it/o4qvs0yoe8c01.jpg

BrunswickDawg
01-25-2018, 11:33 AM
The key will be - will their seasons go head to head? If so, it won?t make it. If they are smart, they will team up with a bunch of MLS owners and use their 18-20k seat stadiums and build an off season league.

Coach007
01-25-2018, 11:37 AM
The key will be - will their seasons go head to head? If so, it won?t make it. If they are smart, they will team up with a bunch of MLS owners and use their 18-20k seat stadiums and build an off season league.

I think he smells the displeasure with the NFL. IF he decides to bring the WWE mentality with him, it's over before he starts. If he is serious and it's promoted as such he has a huge market waiting on him.

Quaoarsking
01-25-2018, 11:44 AM
A second chance for Tebow, Manziel, Kaepernick, RG3, etc.?

CarolinaDawgs
01-25-2018, 11:50 AM
I am really concerned with what will happen with underclassmen in college? What will the effect be on college football? Will kids be able to go as freshman or sophomores rather than waiting till their JR or SR season for the NFL? Makes me wonder.

msstate7
01-25-2018, 11:52 AM
A second chance for Tebow, Manziel, Kaepernick, RG3, etc.?

Signing Tebow would be a great move for this league. Tebow has a huge following.

I would not touch kaep. I would make this league ultra-patriotic. Everyone must stand for anthem and advertise that on pretty much every ad. Some fans left the nfl over kneeling... shoot for those people

msstate7
01-25-2018, 11:53 AM
I am really concerned with what will happen with underclassmen in college? What will the effect be on college football? Will kids be able to go as freshman or sophomores rather than waiting till their JR or SR season for the NFL? Makes me wonder.

If this league is serious about competing with nfl, they absolutely should take sophomores. Let players stay a year at big schools to get name recognition

GoDawgz
01-25-2018, 11:56 AM
"He Hate Me" hahaha

Coach007
01-25-2018, 12:03 PM

Life and death of the new league will be in the hands of the NFL and ESPN. Move politics out of the sports, or see the rise of a new league and Fox sports(or who ever they merge with).

If they do that... then there is no market for them. The NFL and ESPN has created this market

Coach007
01-25-2018, 12:04 PM
If this league is serious about competing with nfl, they absolutely should take sophomores. Let players stay a year at big schools to get name recognition

My concern..... HCs leaving the NCAA for this league.

Quaoarsking
01-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Signing Tebow would be a great move for this league. Tebow has a huge following.

I would not touch kaep. I would make this league ultra-patriotic. Everyone must stand for anthem and advertise that on pretty much every ad. Some fans left the nfl over kneeling... shoot for those people

Is Vince McMahon and the WWE a credible vehicle for your vision? Make Kaepernick an over the top heel if you want to play that angle.

Commercecomet24
01-25-2018, 12:17 PM
Vince must need a loss as a tax write off lol. We have seen this movie before.

msstate7
01-25-2018, 12:20 PM
Is Vince McMahon and the WWE a credible vehicle for your vision? Make Kaepernick an over the top heel if you want to play that angle.

No roughing the passer when you hit him late lol

CarolinaDawgs
01-25-2018, 12:21 PM
They just leaked the setting for the Press Conference.. https://twitter.com/tagropemag/status/956553450740944897

Looks like a Red, White and Blue theme. I assume they will brand themselves as the patriotic league and try and take those who were fed up with NFL situation.

drunkernhelldawg
01-25-2018, 12:22 PM
This ignores the fact that quality of play is the bottom line. However, the NFL does have more work to do to minimize injuries. If they can't figure out a way to do that, the future of the league is truly threatened. And this is an urgent issue, not something that can be passed to the future.

The NFL Trump issue is a political sideshow. While it is an issue, it is very minor. But the injury issue is huge. How to reward violence and curtail it simultaneously. Where's Einstein when we need him?

thf24
01-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Let's not forget McMahon tried this once before and failed miserably.

Commercecomet24
01-25-2018, 12:25 PM
This will start out and end like the WFL, USFL, XFL. etc. People will go to the games and watch them the first few weeks and then the novelty wears off and attendance will tank and ratings will bottom and they'll be hemorrageing money and that'll be it.

Coach007
01-25-2018, 12:28 PM
This ignores the fact that quality of play is the bottom line. However, the NFL does have more work to do to minimize injuries. If they can't figure out a way to do that, the future of the league is truly threatened. And this is an urgent issue, not something that can be passed to the future.

The NFL Trump issue is a political sideshow. While it is an issue, it is very minor. But the injury issue is huge. How to reward violence and curtail it simultaneously. Where's Einstein when we need him?

It's soooo not a minor issue

msstate7
01-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Let's not forget McMahon tried this once before and failed miserably.

And it will almost certainly fail again, but ratings and attendance are down in the nfl. Perhaps they see an opportunity and learned something from prior fail.

thf24
01-25-2018, 12:32 PM
And it will almost certainly fail again, but ratings and attendance are down in the nfl. Perhaps they see an opportunity and learned something from prior fail.

True, the conditions are much better than last time around.

thf24
01-25-2018, 12:32 PM
It's soooo not a minor issue

Where's your evidence to support this?

BeardoMSU
01-25-2018, 12:35 PM
By competition, I meant "do you actually think the XFL will legitimately compete with the NFL"?

It won't.

msstate7
01-25-2018, 12:37 PM
By competition, I meant "do you actually think the XFL will legitimately compete with the NFL"?

It won't.

It does not really have to. Do not play on sundays... play friday nights. Dollar general does not compete with Walmart, but they still do very well for themselves

BeardoMSU
01-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Dollar general does not compete with Walmart, but they still do very well for themselves

That really is a great analogy, 7. Bravo.

Apples and oranges, in terms of NFL vs XFL, but still good.

TimberBeast
01-25-2018, 12:48 PM

Huge downfall in NFL ratings? A new league forming to compete against exactly that issue? You have people that used to watch the NFL leaving in droves, someone might as well try to take over or compete. I haven't watched an NFL game this season for exactly this reason, but I'll damn sure watch this new league.

TrapGame
01-25-2018, 12:50 PM

Yep, we can file this under movie sequels that never should have been made.

Dawg61
01-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Chance to see players that have been blackballed from the NFL and during the offseason I am so down for this.

Dawgology
01-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Huge downfall in NFL ratings? A new league forming to compete against exactly that issue? You have people that used to watch the NFL leaving in droves, someone might as well try to take over or compete. I haven't watched an NFL game this season for exactly this reason, but I'll damn sure watch this new league.

This exactly. I've never been a HUGE fan of the NFL but I know a lot of people that are that have stopped watching it due to the politics. Like...a lot.

Dallas_Dawg
01-25-2018, 01:01 PM
They don't need to play Friday nights - thats HS football night. They need to play in the Spring, or even better, in the Summer. Late June/July/August months suck for sports

01-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Competing with the NFL would be stupid. If someone was smart, they would see the open market for an NFL-partnered minor league system. Bring a smaller developmental league to smaller cities and smaller stadiums. People can track certain players, etc. This would hurt college football, but honestly, it solves a lot of problems. Pay-for-Play nearly disappears.

thf24
01-25-2018, 01:10 PM

NFL viewership had been declining for years before players started kneeling, and a little research would show that not nearly as many have stopped watching specifically due to the kneeling as those in that camp want to believe. With all the other issues facing the NFL, there is no solid evidence out there that the kneeling played a drastic role in the viewership decline from 2016 to 2017.

This exactly. I've never been a HUGE fan of the NFL but I know a lot of people that are that have stopped watching it due to the politics. Like...a lot.

Anecdote is not evidence. Other people no doubt know "a lot" of people who didn't care one way or another about the protests, and and probably even some who started watching more because of them. I personally know "a lot" who are very vocal about how they supposedly don't watch the NFL anymore, but either didn't to begin with or still do anyway. None of that paints a clear picture about the overall truth.

Lord McBuckethead
01-25-2018, 01:10 PM
Wonder if they will kneel?

KNEELING = OVERBLOWN

Lord McBuckethead
01-25-2018, 01:15 PM
Competing with the NFL would be stupid. If someone was smart, they would see the open market for an NFL-partnered minor league system. Bring a smaller developmental league to smaller cities and smaller stadiums. People can track certain players, etc. This would hurt college football, but honestly, it solves a lot of problems. Pay-for-Play nearly disappears.

I believe they are already getting this into the works. 4-6 game seasons. all exhibition.

BulldogDX55
01-25-2018, 01:16 PM

Final numbers show a 7.5% drop in viewers. Significant, but not enough to build a talent inferior league into a powerhouse over.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/10/27/nfl-2017-ratings-national-anthem-protests

Liverpooldawg
01-25-2018, 01:17 PM
It won’t make it. This is the 4th try in my lifetime. They always make a big splash and then they fade. This will be no different.

Coach007
01-25-2018, 01:18 PM

From reports and stats on viewership since kneeling started.

Coach007
01-25-2018, 01:21 PM
KNEELING = OVERBLOWN

Nope. It is an issue. And yes, people stopped watching when politics entered into it. That happened well before kneeling

FISHDAWG
01-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Yep, we can file this under movie sequels that never should have been made.

screw that ... I'm glad he's doing it and yes I'm one of the pissed ... NFL just turned down a veterans group wanting to buy an ad for the jumbotron simply saying "Please Stand for the National Anthem" ..... not even going to watch the superbowl - not even if Dak and the Cowboys were playing in it

Political Hack
01-25-2018, 01:28 PM
Incredibly minor issue. Nobody gives a damn about politics in the middle of the 4th quarter of the super bowl.

This ?political opposition? league will fail because the play will suck in comparison to the NFL.

FISHDAWG
01-25-2018, 01:34 PM
It does not really have to. Do not play on sundays... play friday nights. Dollar general does not compete with Walmart, but they still do very well for themselves

no - but what Dollar General does is to build a store on every main road of approach to a Walmart ..... it's a plan that they have followed for a while now - they are attempting to intercept "some" of Walmart's business

Dawg61
01-25-2018, 01:35 PM
What would make it is a lower tier NFL league that has the same relegation rules as the English Premier League does for soccer so the bottom three NFL teams get regulated and the top 3 lower tier teams get promoted. So the Browns, Giants and Colts would all get relegated this year and the top 3 from the 2nd league move up. Relegation is absolutely awesome and I wish all the pro leagues in every sport in America had it.

Liverpooldawg
01-25-2018, 01:36 PM
Incredibly minor issue. Nobody gives a damn about politics in the middle of the 4th quarter of the super bowl.

This ?political opposition? league will fail because the play will suck in comparison to the NFL.

They have lost a good many viewers because of the kneeling. That is beyond question. The new league will still fail, just like all the others ones that have tried since the NFL-AFL merger.

MadDawg
01-25-2018, 01:37 PM

Unless you aren't watching. It's simple. If you aren't offended by the kneeling, it's a minor issue to you. If you are offended, it's not a minor issue. Like most things, reality is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.

Using this logic, women's basketball should never see a half full gym. But instead, the game is already a sellout this Saturday. People like competitiveness and they like watching a winner.

FISHDAWG
KNEELING = OVERBLOWN

maybe for some people but not for ALL people

Liverpooldawg
What would make it is a lower tier NFL league that has the same relegation rules as the English Premier League does for soccer so the bottom three NFL teams get regulated and the top 3 lower tier teams get promoted. So the Browns, Giants and Colts would all get relegated this year and the top 3 from the 2nd league move up. Relegation is absolutely awesome and I wish all the pro leagues in every sport in America had it.

I wish relegation was a feature here too, but it never will be.

drunkernhelldawg
01-25-2018, 02:11 PM
I wish relegation was a feature here too, but it never will be.

good one.

drunkernhelldawg
01-25-2018, 02:14 PM
They have lost a good many viewers because of the kneeling. That is beyond question. The new league will still fail, just like all the others ones that have tried since the NFL-AFL merger.

Beyond question? In any event, the NFL had 9 of the top 10 most viewed programs this past season. They also had over half of the top 100. TV viewership is down 9% overall, including the NFL and everything else. I think NFL is down less than 9%, but I don't know that one.

01-25-2018, 02:16 PM
Using this logic, women's basketball should never see a half full gym. But instead, the game is already a sellout this Saturday. People like competitiveness and they like watching a winner.
This comparison has absolutely nothing to do with NFL football. By and large, women's basketball does see a half full gym. Even a tenth full gym. I mean, you just cherry picked MSU women's basketball as a data point. First of all, that sport is run by a non-profit organization. Secondly, it's happening at a school that is in desperate need of a winner.

People like watching the best play. That is the only real reason women's basketball is still a sport, because you can see the best play. A perfect example is the difference in college baseball and college football/basketball. The latter two have the best players. Baseball does not, so it's much less popular.

The only way a separate football league will work in this country is if they can somehow partner it with the NFL, so you can track players and operate in smaller markets, ie bring some value. Some alluded to the relegation of the English soccer league, that could actually work. This would certainly hurt college ball.

thf24
01-25-2018, 02:22 PM

Comparing professional sports to college sports is apples to oranges. There's plenty of competitiveness and winners in the WNBA, but half the teams operate at a loss and the rest barely break even.

Fader21
01-25-2018, 02:24 PM
I need one of those photoshop guys to do a madden cover with McMahon 2020 with Vince's face on it

Coach007
01-25-2018, 02:27 PM
This comparison has absolutely nothing to do with NFL football. By and large, women's basketball does see a half full gym. Even a tenth full gym. I mean, you just cherry picked MSU women's basketball as a data point. First of all, that sport is run by a non-profit organization. Secondly, it's happening at a school that is in desperate need of a winner.

People like watching the best play. That is the only real reason women's basketball is still a sport, because you can see the best play. A perfect example is the difference in college baseball and college football/basketball. The latter two have the best players. Baseball does not, so it's much less popular.

The only way a separate football league will work in this country is if they can somehow partner it with the NFL, so you can track players and operate in smaller markets, ie bring some value. Some alluded to the relegation of the English soccer league, that could actually work. This would certainly hurt college ball.

And the NFL had a lot of empty stadiums.

Point being, the NFL took a few things from the XFL because the ideas were good. Now, they have placed themselves at odds with a lot of the fans (which tend to be conservative). Should the new league set out to be professional, and leave politics out of it, the NFL will be forced to correct the issue of allowing politics into the game.

The more they allow it, the MORE people will try the new league. THis announcement is timed for the most gain. NBC will AIR the kneeling.

Those saying that it's not an issue.... then why do you think they are showing it. Ratings.

Political Hack
01-25-2018, 02:31 PM
Unless you aren't watching. It's simple. If you aren't offended by the kneeling, it's a minor issue to you. If you are offended, it's not a minor issue. Like most things, reality is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.

College women’s basketball is successful because of fans’ loyalties to their universities. We typically lose money on women’s basketball. Women’s pro basketball attendance is poor despite being in awesome venues in the middle of large metropolitan areas.

As far as it being a major or minor issue, it’ll die out and people will return to watching the game. I can promise you the Saints fans that I know watched the playoff games after swearing off the nfl forever. If the Falcons has made the super bowl, every conseravative in Georgia would’ve been watching the game.

I find it funny that people equate a short term politically motivated PR bubble into a prediction of failure for a multi-billion dollar industry that has rabid fan fare. Ain’t happenin’.

Commercecomet24
01-25-2018, 02:38 PM
It will all come down to the level of play. I watched the WFL(and they even managed to sign some big name NFL stars), USFL and the XFL, and some arena ball, until I realized it just wasn't very good football. The problem the new leagues always run into when the novelty wears off is it just isn't very good football. The best players are in the NFL and its the best competition. Sure they may sign a few college stars but by the time it would take to rob stars from the NFL, the new league would be just a memory. They will bleeding red ink halfway through the first season.

MadDawg
01-25-2018, 02:39 PM
College women’s basketball is successful because of fans’ loyalties to their universities. We typically lose money on women’s basketball. Women’s pro basketball attendance is poor despite being in awesome venues in the middle of large metropolitan areas.

Point taken. WBB wasn't the best analogy.

BrunswickDawg
01-25-2018, 02:56 PM
I find it funny how so many claim they don?t want politics in their football and quit watching because of the kneeling, then claim they would be all about watching some super patriotic themed football league. Um, isn?t that ultra-nationalism display being done to make a political point???

01-25-2018, 03:05 PM
I find it funny how so many claim they don?t want politics in their football and quit watching because of the kneeling, then claim they would be all about watching some super patriotic themed football league. Um, isn?t that ultra-nationalism display being done to make a political point???
Being patriotic means having devotion to one's country. That is the definition. Honoring the US flag is a part of that. Anything less is disrespect. I cannot believe that any true American (who wants what is best for their country ie patriotic) could share your viewpoint.

Protesting should never involve disrespecting the country. That is where the liberals go wrong.

drunkernhelldawg
01-25-2018, 03:09 PM
It will all come down to the level of play. I watched the WFL(and they even managed to sign some big name NFL stars), USFL and the XFL, and some arena ball, until I realized it just wasn't very good football. The problem the new leagues always run into when the novelty wears off is it just isn't very good football. The best players are in the NFL and its the best competition. Sure they may sign a few college stars but by the time it would take to rob stars from the NFL, the new league would be just a memory. They will bleeding red ink halfway through the first season.

Level of play is everything. But Arena Football is exciting and interesting.

But Major League Plays usually happen in the major leagues. That's why we watch.

BulldogDX55
01-25-2018, 03:13 PM
Beyond question? In any event, the NFL had 9 of the top 10 most viewed programs this past season. They also had over half of the top 100. TV viewership is down 9% overall, including the NFL and everything else. I think NFL is down less than 9%, but I don't know that one.

7.5%. It is doing comparatively well, but that is over one year so I don't know how that compares.

Being patriotic means having devotion to one's country. That is the definition. Honoring the US flag is a part of that. Anything less is disrespect. I cannot believe that any true American (who wants what is best for their country ie patriotic) could share your viewpoint.

Protesting should never involve disrespecting the country. That is where the liberals go wrong.

The flag and the anthem are symbols of the country, not the country itself. When the symbols of a country are placed above the ideals the country was founded on, which includes free speech, that's when you have a fascist country.

Commercecomet24
01-25-2018, 03:19 PM
Level of play is everything. But Arena Football is exciting and interesting.

But Major League Plays usually happen in the major leagues. That's why we watch.

I absolutely agree, Arena football is exciting and interesting, still the novelty of it wore off for me after the first season. Arena football was the only one of them to survive and its because they kept it relatively small scale, didn't try to compete directly with the NFL and the game itself is very different. The founders of the arena football league were smart enough to know they couldn't offer the same product as the NFL as the NFL and survive. Absolutely right on about the Major League plays.

BrunswickDawg
01-25-2018, 03:25 PM

And patriotism is just like religion - everyone has a different view of the appropriate way to observe it and display it. I don?t have to sing the National Anthem at the top of my lungs and waive a flag and tell those damn kneeling ingrates to stop protesting to be a patriot. Just like I don?t have preach on the sidewalk to be a Christian. Nationalistic displays and creating ?patriotism tests? like this are just as out of line and unpatriotic as you believe those who kneel in protest are.

BeardoMSU
01-25-2018, 03:28 PM
And patriotism is just like religion - everyone has a different view of the appropriate way to observe it and display it. I don?t have to sing the National Anthem at the top of my lungs and waive a flag and tell those damn kneeling ingrates to stop protesting to be a patriot. Just like I don?t have preach on the sidewalk to be a Christian. Nationalistic displays and creating ?patriotism tests? like this are just as out of line and unpatriotic as you believe those who kneel in protest are.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrunswickDawg again.

TimberBeast
01-25-2018, 03:29 PM

They don't.

Fader21
01-25-2018, 03:31 PM
After watching the press conference. I have another feeling that this is going to ultimately fail, not because the competition between the NFL, but it seems to me that Vince and who ever is on the XFL board right now only came up with a draft of what they want and the logo. They should have done some more vetting into the league before announcing such as marketing strategies and rules and concepts.
One of the biggest things that I see as an ultimate lose is this is a non-franchisee company meaning one ownership for all teams in order to be successful in sports you have to have different people able to bring different ideas and thoughts to the table. With one ownership for all teams it is easier for the league to be closely associated with scripted television such as soap operas and WWE.

The two positives I see if it actually happens is Vince McMahon stated he will take a back seat and letting football minded people do what they do best. Two the non crossover aspect from WWE such as wrestlers, announcers and staff.

lefty96
01-25-2018, 03:35 PM

This.

No one is going to take this seriously.

BrunswickDawg
01-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Looks like Jared Lorenzen is in - he Tweeted:

Well well well, how are you doing over there @VinceMcMahon and @alphaentllc? I see you may be looking for some athletes. I got ya. May be I do have 1 more comeback left me. #HeAteMe

Commercecomet24
01-25-2018, 04:11 PM
Looks like Jared Lorenzen is in - he Tweeted:

Well well well, how are you doing over there @VinceMcMahon and @alphaentllc? I see you may be looking for some athletes. I got ya. May be I do have 1 more comeback left me. #HeAteMe

Ah, the Pillsbury Throwboy!

TrapGame
01-25-2018, 04:22 PM
Ah, the Pillsbury Throwboy!

Great! He'll croak on the field with a heart attack.

Commercecomet24
01-25-2018, 04:27 PM
Jared looks more suited for beer league softball.

Just last year he tipped the scales at 502 pounds.

https://cardinalsportszone.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/jared-lorenzen.jpg

TrapGame
01-25-2018, 04:38 PM

Maybe Vince can start a sumo league?

Quaoarsking
01-25-2018, 04:47 PM
If it's not starting until 2020 it's going to be way too late to be a gimmicky super patriotic thing - will any regular kneelers even still be playing then?

This XFL could be very successful if they focus on mid-sized cities, play in the summer, and sign well known popular stars who aren't quite good enough for the NFL. But they need to strike while the iron is hot. $10 says they never play a game.

confucius say
01-25-2018, 04:48 PM
7.5%. It is doing comparatively well, but that is over one year so I don't know how that compares.

The flag and the anthem are symbols of the country, not the country itself. When the symbols of a country are placed above the ideals the country was founded on, which includes free speech, that's when you have a fascist country.

Free speech doesn?t mean what you think it means. The concept of free speech only protects you from govt punishment for exercising protected speech. Nothing more. In other words, the ideal of which you speak gives one the right to treat the flag however they like without being punished by the govt, but not without being judged, ridiculed, fired, blackballed, or forced out of business.

No other private mega-billion-dollar company allows its employees to exercise free speech to the detriment of the company. It?s ludicrous really, from a business perspective.

01-25-2018, 04:54 PM
Nobody said you should do that. I am telling you that you should not support something that is meant to disrespect our country.

BulldogDX55
01-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Free speech doesn?t mean what you think it means. The concept of free speech only protects you from govt punishment for exercising protected speech. Nothing more.

No other private mega-billion-dollar company allows its employees to exercise free speech to the detriment of the company. It?s ludicrous really, from a business perspective.

I know what free speech does and doesn't mean. I was giving an example. Yes, I know it doesn't protect you in the private sector. I also know that privately held businesses don't have to punish their employees for doing something that offends a segment of their customer base.

If anything, them doing this is a great example of the free market giving the people with the most skill in a field the leeway to do as they please as long as they are still doing their job.

RougeDawg
01-25-2018, 05:00 PM

The problem with the NFL issue is that people like you still think it?s a Trump issue. This started long ago because an ignorant football player was fed a bunch of lies about crime instead of looking at FBI.GOV for the statistics. Statistics that point to almost the exact opposition facts of which Kapernekus was protesting. He should?ve have been protesting about 7 percent of the US population committing over 50% of the violent crimes instead of the group trying to prevent these crimes.

But then again, why would the NFL or any left wing led group look at actual facts and statistics? No known statistic for which they stand indicates their policies actually do what they tell people they are doing. This is the same group calling the tax breaks and bonuses being paid out as crumbs, political stunts and overall bad for the citizens of this country. It’s beyind comical at this point. Reminds me of bearsart fans blindly following the Beav.

drunkernhelldawg
01-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Free speech doesn?t mean what you think it means. The concept of free speech only protects you from govt punishment for exercising protected speech. Nothing more. In other words, the ideal of which you speak gives one the right to treat the flag however they like without being punished by the govt, but not without being judged, ridiculed, fired, blackballed, or forced out of business.

You have to remember that the league's asset is the players' talent. In that sense, they are the owners.

drunkernhelldawg
01-25-2018, 05:03 PM
The problem with the NFL issue is that people like you still think it?s a Trump issue. This started long ago because an ignorant football player was fed a bunch of lies about crime instead of looking at FBI.GOV for the statistics. Statistics that point to almost the exact opposition facts of which Kapernekus was protesting. He should?ve have been protesting about 7 percent of the US population committing over 50% of the violent crimes instead of the group trying to prevent these crimes.

But then again, why would the NFL or any left wing led group look at actual facts and statistics? No known statistic for which they stand indicates their policies actually do what they tell people they are doing.

Trump made it a Trump issue. Why did he do that? For whom?

Dawgface
01-25-2018, 05:42 PM

Sad.

BuckyIsAB****
01-25-2018, 06:02 PM
Good deal. Glad to see somebody want to bring pro football back.

The NFL is gonna have a major prob on its hands getting folks back if this league holds true to what its said today. Stand for the anthem, faster game, no social justice and politics.

Im all for it. They should start the season in Feb/March tho, better for fans to get football year round

bulldawg28
01-25-2018, 06:07 PM

This all day. The NFL is going nowhere even if a few butthurt southerners stop watching with hurt feelings.

Goldendawg
01-25-2018, 06:43 PM
I lost interest in the NFL this year, although being a lifelong Raiders fan. Hated Dallas, but watched and pulled for them only because of Dak. Will watch the Super Bowl because of Fletcher Cox and do like Brady and their coach. This league will fail if it is the XFL, 2.0.

confucius say
01-25-2018, 06:59 PM
This all day. The NFL is going nowhere even if a few butthurt southerners stop watching with hurt feelings.

The nfl is not going away, true. But it is losing viewers at a rate never experienced in its 50 year its history. That?s a fact.
Forget politics. I?m a businessman. It?s about making money. If my employees? actions are costing me money, those actions have to stop. End of story.

Todd4State
01-25-2018, 07:03 PM
I know it won't work but I want it to. I think they need to look at the old AFL and CFL and why those leagues were or are still successful. Both are or were wide open offensive leagues with a lot of scoring. The CFL is different because of their rules that amake it interesting. They do need to compete with the NFL for some name players- which was something the old XFL didn't do. I definitely would be on the phone with Tebow, Manziel, and etc. I'd also go after some guys that are near the end of their career like Adrian Peterson and James Harrison. I'd also try to go after some recently retired name NFL players and see if I could get some of those guys as well.

I'd also try to get some creative coaches like Chip Kelly, Gus Mahlzahn, and etc. too.

BrunswickDawg
01-25-2018, 08:02 PM
The nfl is not going away, true. But it is losing viewers at a rate never experienced in its 50 year its history. That?s a fact.
Forget politics. I?m a businessman. It?s about making money. If my employees? actions are costing me money, those actions have to stop. End of story.
Everything is losing viewership at an incredible rate - it ain?t just the NFL.

Over the last 6 years, TV viewing among:
Teens - down 45.5%
18-34 - down 32.2%
35-49 - down 15.9%
50-64 - down 1.1%
65 and up - up 6%

If you are investing in TV, you are fighting a losing battle.

confucius say
01-25-2018, 08:52 PM
Everything is losing viewership at an incredible rate - it ain?t just the NFL.

Over the last 6 years, TV viewing among:
Teens - down 45.5%
18-34 - down 32.2%
35-49 - down 15.9%
50-64 - down 1.1%
65 and up - up 6%

If you are investing in TV, you are fighting a losing battle.

Wrong. Those numbers are defining tv as network and cable only. Not including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and any other streaming services. If you add all those together, more people are watching something than at any point in history.

This is significant bc all nfl games are available via streaming now. And they are still losing viewers even including stream watchers. So the ?it?s the streaming?s fault? argument doesn?t work.

Aside from eyeballs, the nfl is also losing ad dollars.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20180125/ENTERTAINMENT/180129937/advertisers-pull-back-on-nfl-spending-amid-tv-ratings-decline

By every available metric, the nfl?s popularity is declining for the first time in its history.

ckDOG
01-25-2018, 09:02 PM

Sensitive people that can?t simply ignore those they disagree with.

TimberBeast
01-26-2018, 10:52 AM

But then again, why would the NFL or any left wing led group look at actual facts and statistics? No known statistic for which they stand indicates their policies actually do what they tell people they are doing. This is the same group calling the tax breaks and bonuses being paid out as crumbs, political stunts and overall bad for the citizens of this country. It?s beyind comical at this point. Reminds me of bearsart fans blindly following the Beav.

You're never going to get a lib to address this issue honestly.

Coach007
01-26-2018, 02:18 PM
Espn First Take Will Cain says the NFL should be worried.

NFL viewership is down and NCAA is up. People want to see football. "

drunkernhelldawg
01-26-2018, 03:25 PM
Espn First Take Will Cain says the NFL should be worried.

NFL viewership is down and NCAA is up. People want to see football. "

Not saying that the NFL should be worried about this league, which to it is a mosquittto on the windshield. But their pitch is pretty good. They may play a few games before it's over. But the idea that this is a threat to the NFL is absurd beyond expression.

BeardoMSU
01-26-2018, 03:37 PM
Speaking of "keeping politics out of sports", apparently something many of you seem to care a lot about....how about y'all keep these threads on the ****ing political board. It's there for a reason.

MSUDAWGFAN
01-26-2018, 04:31 PM
Not saying that the NFL should be worried about this league, which to it is a mosquittto on the windshield. But their pitch is pretty good. They may play a few games before it's over. But the idea that this is a threat to the NFL is absurd beyond expression.

First off, let me say I agree with you that it's a mosquito on a windshield, but there's been several small time companies go on to overtake much bigger competition. Let's look at Blockbuster vs Netflix. Netflix will NEVER overtake Blockbuster. How about Amazon vs. Books a Million or Barnes & Noble? Or even WalMart? Who wants to wait 2 days when they can have something now? Several other companies have gone way down or out of business too. Radio Shack, Babbage's. I heard J Crew was about to have to file bankruptcy just today. Go to your local mall and compare what the foot traffic is compared to what it was in the 80s and 90s. It's significantly lower.

But MSUDAWGFAN, that's business. This is athletics. That's not the same. Hey, even in college athletics, the NCAA tournament used to be second tier. The NIT was the bigger tournament many years ago.

My point is, if the NFL doesn't take all competitors seriously, which I think it will, it can get overtaken. That's precisely what happened to Blockbuster, Books a Million, and Barnes & Noble, and the NIT. Right now, the NFL has power over the new XFL. They are going to have to leverage that power in order to squash the XFL, like they have done with every competing league in the past. That is the ultimate reason the NFL has been successful when the other leagues have failed. The NFL is aware of it's competitors, or it will eventually fail, just like others in the past.

For the record, I think the XFL will last 1 or maybe 2 seasons. I think odds are very long against it going any more than that.

drunkernhelldawg
01-26-2018, 05:22 PM
First off, let me say I agree with you that it's a mosquito on a windshield, but there's been several small time companies go on to overtake much bigger competition. Let's look at Blockbuster vs Netflix. Netflix will NEVER overtake Blockbuster. How about Amazon vs. Books a Million or Barnes & Noble? Or even WalMart? Who wants to wait 2 days when they can have something now? Several other companies have gone way down or out of business too. Radio Shack, Babbage's. I heard J Crew was about to have to file bankruptcy just today. Go to your local mall and compare what the foot traffic is compared to what it was in the 80s and 90s. It's significantly lower.

But MSUDAWGFAN, that's business. This is athletics. That's not the same. Hey, even in college athletics, the NCAA tournament used to be second tier. The NIT was the bigger tournament many years ago.

My point is, if the NFL doesn't take all competitors seriously, which I think it will, it can get overtaken. That's precisely what happened to Blockbuster, Books a Million, and Barnes & Noble, and the NIT. Right now, the NFL has power over the new XFL. They are going to have to leverage that power in order to squash the XFL, like they have done with every competing league in the past. That is the ultimate reason the NFL has been successful when the other leagues have failed. The NFL is aware of it's competitors, or it will eventually fail, just like others in the past.

For the record, I think the XFL will last 1 or maybe 2 seasons. I think odds are very long against it going any more than that.

That's exactly right. Rest on your laurels and you might as well remain in the prone position.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-26-2018, 05:49 PM

Very good point. And EVERY NFL player who kneeled would have fired an employee for protesting at their place of business (if said NFL player owned a restaurant, retail store, etc).

Coach007
01-26-2018, 09:22 PM

Money.... money is the issue. They will need to bring in the money. If their model is like Redbox and netflix, they will have a leg up.

Use cable for example. Hulu, YouTube, sling... all of these could turn out to level the playing field. These companies are pulling a lot subscribers from cable.

The product will need to be good. But remember, people are not happy with the nfl. That is apparent from the NFL being down and the NCAA being up. Are we saying that college teams could compete head to head on the field? Not across the board. No.

Just the package, atmosphere, and money coming in. Online viewing with a new partner like fox sports.... yes... instant competition.

MSUDAWGFAN
01-26-2018, 09:46 PM
Money.... money is the issue. They will need to bring in the money. If their model is like Redbox and netflix, they will have a leg up.

Use cable for example. Hulu, YouTube, sling... all of these could turn out to level the playing field. These companies are pulling a lot subscribers from cable.

The product will need to be good. But remember, people are not happy with the nfl. That is apparent from the NFL being down and the NCAA being up. Are we saying that college teams could compete head to head on the field? Not across the board. No.

Just the package, atmosphere, and money coming in. Online viewing with a new partner like fox sports.... yes... instant competition.

On the money issue, it cost a small fortune to attend an NFL game. That's how Redbox and Netflix were able to beat Blockbuster. The XFL will have to charge significantly less than the NFL. Once enough people start to go, it will have to create an exciting atmosphere that will keep people coming back. People will tolerate the inferior play if the economics make sense and the entertainment to dollar ratio is high. The problem that every other league has had and the XFL is likely to have is that it has to differentiate itself from the NFL significantly because the product isn't as good.

Commercecomet24
01-26-2018, 09:57 PM
On the money issue, it cost a small fortune to attend an NFL game. That's how Redbox and Netflix were able to beat Blockbuster. The XFL will have to charge significantly less than the NFL. Once enough people start to go, it will have to create an exciting atmosphere that will keep people coming back. People will tolerate the inferior play if the economics make sense and the entertainment to dollar ratio is high. The problem that every other league has had and the XFL is likely to have is that it has to differentiate itself from the NFL significantly because the product isn't as good.

Bingo!

TimberBeast
01-26-2018, 11:20 PM

But then again, why would the NFL or any left wing led group look at actual facts and statistics? No known statistic for which they stand indicates their policies actually do what they tell people they are doing. This is the same group calling the tax breaks and bonuses being paid out as crumbs, political stunts and overall bad for the citizens of this country. It?s beyind comical at this point. Reminds me of bearsart fans blindly following the Beav.

Just curious, anybody want to take a shot at this or are y?all still ignoring it?

Bully13
01-27-2018, 05:16 AM
Speaking of "keeping politics out of sports", apparently something many of you seem to care a lot about....how about y'all keep these threads on the ****ing political board. It's there for a reason.

Maybe NFL players should consider leaving THEIR politics out of the game. Would that not be refreshing?

Bully13
01-27-2018, 05:30 AM

Speaking of the political board, where ya been bud? Miss you.