PDA

View Full Version : Did Howland instruct our players to jack up threes?

drunkernhelldawg
01-24-2018, 10:35 AM
That looked to be the strategy from the 8 minute mark to the end. Also, I was puzzled when Howland said at halftime they were going back to the "regular zone offense" because we weren't comfortable. We had put up 36 in a half and were within two. Not to mention three missed layups that would have made the total 42. What the hell is this all about?

drunkernhelldawg
01-24-2018, 10:54 AM
I really do think that was the strategy. The four point play gave it a chance to work, but we couldn't follow it up.

yjnkdawg
01-24-2018, 11:30 AM
I really do think that was the strategy. The four point play gave it a chance to work, but we couldn't follow it up.

I imagine if you asked Howland on that play, his intent was not for Carter (shooting 20 something percent from three point range) to shoot a long three. I think our players needed to drive the ball more and put the pressure on Kentucky, and get Kentucky in a foul situation. Not jack up contested 3's, with little or no ball movement.. Seems like our players just freak out when a team throws a zone defense on them.

yjnkdawg
01-24-2018, 11:41 AM
That looked to be the strategy from the 8 minute mark to the end. Also, I was puzzled when Howland said at halftime they were going back to the "regular zone offense" because we weren't comfortable. We had put up 36 in a half and were within two. Not to mention three missed layups that would have made the total 42. What the hell is this all about?

I think the strategy was to drive the ball, but some of our players think they are better 3 point shooters than they actually are at this point in time. Sometimes you have to go to an offensive zone set to try and match a zone defense. I don't think Howland wanted all those 3's taken (a bunch with little ball movement), but it appears some of our players don't have the same mindset. Why they aren't benched when they take crazy shots, or not following the offensive plan? I don't know. It appears there is more to this than you or I are aware of. One problem is there is no vocal (take charge) player leadership from the older players, and a coach can't make that happen.

drunkernhelldawg
01-24-2018, 11:56 AM
I think the strategy was to drive the ball, but some of our players think they are better 3 point shooters than they actually are at this point in time. Sometimes you have to go to an offensive zone set to try and match a zone defense. I don't think Howland wanted all those 3's taken (a bunch with little ball movement), but it appears some of our players don't have the same mindset. Why they aren't benched when they take crazy shots, or not following the offensive plan? I don't know. It appears there is more to this than you or I are aware of. One problem is there is no vocal (take charge) player leadership from the older players, and a coach can't make that happen.

I'm even more puzzled about him changing the offense at halftime. Our first half offense got us many good looks in and around the paint. Not to mention that inside to outside is a better way to score threes than outside to outside.

TXDawg
01-24-2018, 01:08 PM
I imagine if you asked Howland on that play, his intent was not for Carter (shooting 20 something percent from three point range) to shot a long three. I think our players needed to drive the ball more and put the pressure on Kentucky, and get Kentucky in a foul situation. Not jack up contested 3's, with little or no ball movement.. Seems like our players just freak out when a team throws a zone defense on them.

The problem with this strategy is that the refs weren't calling anything on Kentucky all night. Ado and Holman were getting mugged under the basket all night and the refs kept swallowing their whistle. On the other hand, if we breathed on a UK player, we'd get rung up. We got whistled for 23 fouls to their 13. They attempted 30 FT's to our 10.

Our piss poor shot selection at the end was the biggest factor in the loss, but the refs certainly played a role.

KB21
01-24-2018, 01:11 PM
The problem with this strategy is that the refs weren't calling anything on Kentucky all night. Ado and Holman were getting mugged under the basket all night and the refs kept swallowing their whistle. On the other hand, if we breathed on a UK player, we'd get rung up. We got whistled for 23 fouls to their 13. They attempted 30 FT's to our 10.

Our piss poor shot selection at the end was the biggest factor in the loss, but the refs certainly played a role.

Yep, and I was getting quite tired of UK players making a play down the stretch and then flexing in the direction of our players. That was obvious taunting.

yjnkdawg
01-24-2018, 01:31 PM

Yep, that is pretty much the norm when we have played KY. Especially at Rupp.

Bothrops
01-24-2018, 03:02 PM
We probably won't beat Kentucky in basketball again, unless something bad happens to their program. They are protected from us. That said, I'm still waiting for us to click as a team. If we don't soon, Howland is going to end up running out of time.

drunkernhelldawg
01-24-2018, 03:08 PM
We probably won't beat Kentucky in basketball again, unless something bad happens to their program. They are protected from us. That said, I'm still waiting for us to click as a team. If we don't soon, Howland is going to end up running out of time.

Do you mean to say that we only gave the illusion of having a chance last night? That we never actually had that chance? if so, I'll disagree with that. But I will add that I think at least part of the problem is the coaching.

yjnkdawg
01-24-2018, 03:19 PM
Do you mean to say that we only gave the illusion of having a chance last night? That we never actually had that chance? if so, I'll disagree with that. But I will add that I think at least part of the problem is the coaching.

I think we need a good assistant shooting coach. Maybe Howland needs to re-evaluate his assistant coaching staff? JMO

Bothrops
01-24-2018, 06:41 PM

They are down right now, so maybe not, but I look at the timing of the fouls and how it impacts team momentum. The refs have cost us games against them in the past.

MarketingBully
01-24-2018, 07:55 PM

I’d be willing to bet we beat them next year at the Hump.

MarketingBully
01-24-2018, 08:09 PM
The best medicine is having some home games in a row. Our 2-5 record includes going on the road and losing to Ole Miss (who has beaten Alabama and Florida at Home), Florida (who’s only loss in the SEC is to Ole Miss in the road), Alabama (who had a four game win streak because they had three of those four at Home), and of course Kentucky (who had just lost at home for the first time in the SEC since 2014 on Saturday. Those refs weren’t going to let them lose two in a row there. Come on). So then you look at our home record which is 13-1. Our next four are at home against Missouri, Georgia, and Alabama. Those teams are all terrible road teams. The fourth team we go on the road to South Carolina. I think we have a great chance of stealing one there. If we can go on a run, we can still do some things this year. I do believe Coach Howland when he says we are close. We just need patience with this team.