PDA

View Full Version : Dudy Noble future expansion input session Oct 14

Schultzy
10-02-2013, 03:06 PM
For season ticket holders only at Leo Seal 6:00 pm. Pretty interesting that the administration would take input from so many people on this. I bet they get a lot of opinions.

Todd4State
10-02-2013, 05:10 PM
They also will have another input session in Jackson on Tuesday Oct. 15 at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and museum. It is also slated to start at 6 PM.

Political Hack
10-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Could be planning on doing something unpopular... get an audience member to suggest it and then run with it. We used to do this all the time. "Well, the fans suggested that we consider removing the left field lounge in favor of a more modern venue. Due to X reasons, we think that's an option we should strongly consider."

So long as that doesn't happen, I'm 100% in favor of them reaching out to fans. However, if they're looking for a crutch to make a controversial move because they're scared to do it alone, I'll be pretty PO'd.

Let me be clear, I have no indications that's what's going on... just will be very pissed if they use this venue to try to boot the LFL.

Todd4State
10-02-2013, 06:16 PM
I can hear it now- "Gene, you're a great baseball guy. What do you think we should do with Dudy-Noble?"

Gene- "Well, Scott I think a lot of my posters would like to see some premium seating in the LFL, but they just don't want to sit on some trailer. They want to be able to eat popcorn and sit in seats with butt warmers for the regionals in June."

Sarcasm aside, I think Scott knows that baseball is pretty important and it's the ONE sport you don't f*** with at MSU if you are the athletic director. If he wants to keep his job anyway. I will say this- the funny thing about the LFL and the "liability" argument is Scott is rumored to have suggested that we put a playground for the kids somewhere in the stadium- which would be a MUCH bigger liability than the LFL.

I really think- and I may be naive- that he knows that there are a lot of opinions out there about what should be done and he wants to do it right and lay all of the issues out there on the table. There were rumors about what they had planned for Dudy-Noble- which was basically take out the bleachers, put in a couple of hills/terraces where the bleachers are now, and then add a playground.

I think Scott also knows that there are a lot of our fans that really and truly don't know how bad Dudy-Noble is and they still think it's the best college stadium in the planet. And this is a way for those people to become exposed to reality. And I say that in as loving a way as possible. I don't think that those fans are ill intentioned- they just really don't know. For some of our fans, their scope of baseball really is MSU, East Mississippi CC, Tupelo HS, and New Hope HS as far as baseball goes even though I joke about that from time to time. Let's not forget that Scott has to hear from those fans that think we have a AAA caliber stadium and think that he is monumentally wasting time and money by tearing down the grandstand. And for the record, those fans are the minority but they are MSU fans nonetheless and their voice should be heard.

War Machine Dawg
10-02-2013, 06:27 PM
LT 2.0 is just going to slap lipstick on the pig and renovate the Dude instead of doing what's necessary and building an all new stadium.....which he'll wind up having to do within the next 10 years anyway. At least that's what I think this "fan input" bullshit is all about. It's a way for Scott to have deniability when he ****s it up to be cheap (and costing money in the long run) rather than doing it right in the first place.

But I hope Todd is right about this being a way for him to expose our "baseball fans" to just how awful Dudy Noble is right now. I just hope enough of our baseball fans who have traveled to other stadiums show up and make it clear how far behind we lag now and can drown out the chorus from the type of fans that Todd mentioned.

Schultzy
10-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Why not just extend chair backs to the foul poles and renovate everything else? Just for clarification I don't know anyone associated with MSU.

Will James
10-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Why not just extend chair backs to the foul poles and renovate everything else? Just for clarification I don't know anyone associated with MSU.

Jesus how many times is Engies sight line overhead view of DNF needed

gravedigger
10-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Hate gene all u want. He wold never advocate replacing the lfl

drummerdawg
10-02-2013, 08:42 PM

Isn't ole miss like ours only chairbacked all the way down?

CadaverDawg
10-02-2013, 08:43 PM

Looks like at least 1 more

Schultzy
10-02-2013, 08:53 PM

We don't have the engineers to make it happen with what we have? The existing stadium is not that big so yes, show it again.

Political Hack
10-02-2013, 08:53 PM

he would do whatever Strick told him to do if he thought it would help his business.

CadaverDawg
10-02-2013, 08:55 PM
he would do whatever Strick told him to do if he thought it would help his business.

But Steve Robertson would be the first to yell out their answer.

Todd4State
10-02-2013, 08:58 PM
But Steve Robertson would be the first to yell out their answer.

Get em' Sheriff!!!!

Todd4State
10-02-2013, 09:00 PM

It was just a joke. I do find it hilarious that he took that picture of the astroturf and the first thing out of his mouth was how great it looked- immediately followed by almost everyone saying in some way shape or form that it looked like (I like Thick's description) doo doo.

SheltonChoked
10-02-2013, 09:01 PM
The problem is sight lines. Not size. The current concrete grandstand blocks the view of the infield from the bleachers. Adding more concrete chairbacks would only add seats people don't want to sit in and cannot see the game from.

State82
10-02-2013, 09:27 PM

Hopefully Engie will be able to make one of the sessions to enlighten folks. It would be informative for a lot of people that have never taken that aspect into consideration.

messageboardsuperhero
10-02-2013, 09:32 PM
I think Scott also knows that there are a lot of our fans that really and truly don't know how bad Dudy-Noble is and they still think it's the best college stadium in the planet. And this is a way for those people to become exposed to reality. And I say that in as loving a way as possible. I don't think that those fans are ill intentioned- they just really don't know. For some of our fans, their scope of baseball really is MSU, East Mississippi CC, Tupelo HS, and New Hope HS as far as baseball goes even though I joke about that from time to time. Let's not forget that Scott has to hear from those fans that think we have a AAA caliber stadium and think that he is monumentally wasting time and money by tearing down the grandstand. And for the record, those fans are the minority but they are MSU fans nonetheless and their voice should be heard.

I worry about these type of fans too. Not because they're stupid or anything, they just aren't aware of how poorly designed the current grandstand is compared to the other stadiums in our divisions. Once Alabama finishes their renovation, we will have the most poorly designed baseball stadium in the SEC West. Let that sink in. Sure Dudy Noble might be a better place to watch a game than Auburn (if you can get in the grandstand or know someone in LFL), but we lose to every team in our division in quality and design of the grandstand. And the sad part is, a lot of our fans are either not aware of this or are in denial about it.

messageboardsuperhero
10-02-2013, 09:45 PM
LT 2.0 is just going to slap lipstick on the pig and renovate the Dude instead of doing what's necessary and building an all new stadium.....which he'll wind up having to do within the next 10 years anyway. At least that's what I think this "fan input" bullshit is all about. It's a way for Scott to have deniability when he ****s it up to be cheap (and costing money in the long run) rather than doing it right in the first place.

But I hope Todd is right about this being a way for him to expose our "baseball fans" to just how awful Dudy Noble is right now. I just hope enough of our baseball fans who have traveled to other stadiums show up and make it clear how far behind we lag now and can drown out the chorus from the type of fans that Todd mentioned.

Exactly. People bitch about how this is going to cost us more than just a renovation, but in the long-run, starting over will probably save us money. Not to mention how much more revenue we could be bringing in with all the premium seating opportunities that a modern grandstand offers.

A new grandstand would simply be a good business move; if we have to borrow some money to do it, so be it. When you have a business, you're trying to address a demand in the market, which we definitely have huge demand for premium seating and additional chair backs. Once you recognize the demand, you have to borrow money to get started in the hopes of making more money in the future. It's call and investment. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp for people who bitch about the cost?

The bottom line is, I'd rather us spend 30-35 mil. doing something right than 20 mil. doing something half-ass that we'll probably have to replace in the future anyway. If we have to borrow some money to do it, so what? We'll just pay it off in a few years with all the additional revenue we'll be bringing in.

War Machine Dawg
10-02-2013, 09:51 PM
I worry about these type of fans too. Not because they're stupid or anything, they just aren't aware of how poorly designed the current grandstand is compared to the other stadiums in our divisions. Once Alabama finishes their renovation, we will have the most poorly designed baseball stadium in the SEC West. Let that sink in. Sure Dudy Noble might be a better place to watch a game than Auburn (if you can get in the grandstand or know someone in LFL), but we lose to every team in our division in quality and design of the grandstand. And the sad part is, a lot of our fans are either not aware of this or are in denial about it.

Bingo. MSU Baseball is supposed to be The Joneses. Others are supposed to keep up with us. We either need to go all in on a brand new facility or stop claiming to be some great baseball school. Because if we don't do what it takes to keep up and fix the sightline problems, all those Alabama HS players we get that make our program go will be gone.

messageboardsuperhero
10-02-2013, 09:56 PM
As others have said, if we just extend to the foul poles, those people won't be able to see the field because of the way the current grandstand is designed. It just doesn't allow for any additional room to have a decent line of sight to the infield. Those people will essentially either be staring at centerfield or at the back of their neighbor's head all game. That is the main reason why people are saying we simply must start over.

engie
10-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Hopefully Engie will be able to make one of the sessions to enlighten folks. It would be informative for a lot of people that have never taken that aspect into consideration.

Here's MSU's design vs other grandstands.

Dudy Noble
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131003-at8v-114kb.jpg

Alex Box
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131003-lplr-124kb.jpg

Baum Stadium
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131003-peus-73kb.jpg

Carolina Stadium
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131003-yjqy-97kb.jpg

Swayze Field
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131003-j1yo-113kb.jpg

People know my numbers background. I'm NOT a stadium engineer. But I have been HIGHLY interested in this for many years -- and have taught myself alot about it as a hobby even before the talk of DNF began. Our current grandstand design is what I'd term as a triple whammy. It does not have open concourses like ALL modern designs do. That's strike 1. Strike 2 is the alignment of the grandstands and how they angle relative to the field. It does NOT allow us to "turn in" seats going down the lines to keep sightlines good. The ONLY way we can "adequately" overcome that is by building very, very high down the lines. Which leads to strike 3 -- we built them WAY too steep. Had they been sloped progressively/lightly -- with open concourses like Baum and AutoZone park -- the sightline issue can be overcome down the lines, because even if your seat hurts your neck, you've always got the option to stand up in the concourse and can see the game just as well.

The problems with Dudy Noble are something I deem fatal in nature. Meaning, I've spent probably 100 hours overall looking at it, playing with stuff in cad, etc. I've thought about everything from swivel seats to berms down the lines to building very tall "wings" down the lines. NOTHING adequately addresses the issues in a way that allows us to continue a long, proud tradition of being the BEST place to watch a baseball game in college baseball. NOTHING I've seen or come up with.

I don't want to beat a dead horse -- but Scott apparently thinks "we don't need more seats" -- which I disagree with. We'd sell WAY more season tickets if those tickets were for good seats. His problem is that NO ONE is buying season tickets with the sightlines down our lines currently(gets attributed to bleachers -- but LSU does JUST FINE with bleachers down the lines at Alex Box -- because the angles are much better). Many people won't even go to games if they are scared they will get stuck in the bleachers. I know this for a fact. We have ALREADY alienated half a generation of fans that would be season ticket holders -- because of our inaction in fixing the most obvious of issues.

messageboardsuperhero
10-02-2013, 10:46 PM
South Carolina's grandstand is an absolute thing of beauty. Imagine if we got off our ass and built something like that to go along with the LFL. It would be the perfect place to watch a college baseball game. I can't understand how some people don't see that.

Thanks for posting this stuff. It has to be pretty eye-opening for anyone on the fence about tearing down the grandstand.

bully99
10-03-2013, 12:08 AM
To compare a stadium today to something built about 30 years ago is absurd. Dudy Noble was built on the cheap. To me the only solution with the current facility is to build up and not out. Put a seond level with new boxes and press box in between.

engie
10-03-2013, 12:30 AM
To compare a stadium today to something built about 30 years ago is absurd. Dudy Noble was built on the cheap. To me the only solution with the current facility is to build up and not out. Put a seond level with new boxes and press box in between.

So we can continue to be 30 years behind and second rate in our conference? Makes sense**

Do you not see how you jshot your own point in the first sentence?

smootness
10-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Obviously your essential point is true, that our sight lines are worse than the other stadiums, but it's pretty clear from just a quick glance that those lines you drew aren't accurate. The 'sightlines' at DNF are bent outward from what the actual sightlines are, and those at the other stadiums are bent inward, severely for Alex Box. The actual different in sightlines between DNF and the others (outside of Carolina) are not that great. It is an issue, and one that I would hope we look into fixing, but that diagram makes it appear far worse than it actually is.

smootness
10-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Because if we don't do what it takes to keep up and fix the sightline problems, all those Alabama HS players we get that make our program go will be gone.

I am all in favor of fixing sightlines and seriously updating DNF; I don't really care if we build a new stadium or not, but I do want to see it become a very nice facility.

But this is kind of absurd. Alabama players aren't coming to State because our stadium is nicer. They're coming to State because a) we win, and b) our atmosphere is far better than most, even those with nicer stadiums.

*Being older with bad sightlines seems to be a real drag on Fenway Park.

engie
10-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Obviously your essential point is true, that our sight lines are worse than the other stadiums, but it's pretty clear from just a quick glance that those lines you drew aren't accurate. The 'sightlines' at DNF are bent outward from what the actual sightlines are, and those at the other stadiums are bent inward, severely for Alex Box. The actual different in sightlines between DNF and the others (outside of Carolina) are not that great. It is an issue, and one that I would hope we look into fixing, but that diagram makes it appear far worse than it actually is.

You are wrong. The goal was to highlight a difference -- that you are now making it a point to not understand.

I've sat in the bleachers at Alex Box and down the foul lines at Baum. BOTH are LIGHT YEARS better than the bleachers at MSU -- and LIGHT YEARS better than chairbacks down the foul lines would be. You can take that or leave it.

engie
10-03-2013, 09:26 AM
I am all in favor of fixing sightlines and seriously updating DNF; I don't really care if we build a new stadium or not, but I do want to see it become a very nice facility.

But this is kind of absurd. Alabama players aren't coming to State because our stadium is nicer. They're coming to State because a) we win, and b) our atmosphere is far better than most, even those with nicer stadiums.
Let Alabama finish building anew and then talk to me about it. They were once a TREMENDOUS baseball atmosphere -- and it hasn't been a very long time ago. It wouldn't take MUCH on their part for those kids to start picking them over us. If you can't see that, I can't help...

*Being older with bad sightlines seems to be a real drag on Fenway Park.
Why do people continue to bring this up as if it's a good analogy? The fact that they do basically guarantees they don't have a damn clue what they are talking about and can be taken with a grain of salt in the whole discussion.

Yeah -- 100+ year old ballpark that has had HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS in renovations over the past decade that was designed correctly the first time -- is TOTALLY similar to the 25 year old hunk of concrete that we built for a couple million in a terrible design and have never renovated...

SEE, THEY ARE JUST ALIKE!!**
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131003-ajgg-107kb.jpg

smootness
10-03-2013, 09:57 AM
You are wrong. The goal was to highlight a difference -- that you are now making it a point to not understand.

I've sat in the bleachers at Alex Box and down the foul lines at Baum. BOTH are LIGHT YEARS better than the bleachers at MSU -- and LIGHT YEARS better than chairbacks down the foul lines would be. You can take that or leave it.

I'm not saying State's sightlines aren't worse than those other stadiums. I actually said the opposite. I'm just saying that your diagram was drawn with purposefully inconsistent lines to try to enhance that point.

In regard to Fenway, I get that overall, it was constructed with a better plan in mind. Not arguing that point. But it definitely does, as essentially any stadium that old will, have some spots where you can't see much of anything. And yes, it was renovated. I'm not comparing it to DNF as it currently stands. But I see a lot of people claiming that renovating is a terrible option, that the only good option is to build a completely new stadium.

Well, as you said yourself, Fenway has been renovated. We can renovate DNF, and we can make it a very nice, much more modern stadium if we want while still keeping the same basic structure as a foundation.

I was comparing the prospect of a renovated DNF to Fenway. But apparently that means I have no clue what I'm talking about. Phenomenal.

P.S. The all-caps make you seem REALLY, REALLY ANGRY!!!

SheltonChoked
10-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks again Engie. I was one who did not understand the issues at first. I'm too far away to go to games very often, and had access to either chairbacks or a lounge spot when I was in school. Someone please go to both meetings and show Engie's work on this.

We need a AAA quality Stadium or better.

engie
10-03-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm not saying State's sightlines aren't worse than those other stadiums. I actually said the opposite. I'm just saying that your diagram was drawn with purposefully inconsistent lines to try to enhance that point.
And you are the only person here with a problem with this, why? Was the goal not to highlight differences? Can you not see the differences?

Feel free to "correct the accuracy of the lines" and post it for us -- since, you know, you just want to be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

In regard to Fenway, I get that overall, it was constructed with a better plan in mind. Not arguing that point. But it definitely does, as essentially any stadium that old will, have some spots where you can't see much of anything.
Feel free to show me where these alleged seats are. I've been to two games there before, btw...sat cheap seats once and had good seats once...

And yes, it was renovated. I'm not comparing it to DNF as it currently stands. But I see a lot of people claiming that renovating is a terrible option, that the only good option is to build a completely new stadium.
It's a historic landmark that was renovated at approximately the same cost of building anew. Actually, it's CONSTANTLY renovated. Every single year. So, in the end, it's going to end up costing monumentally more to keep Fenway kicking than it would have to build a brand new park. John Henry doesn't mind -- because he's got a bucket list destination for EVERY baseball fan in America where he can name his price and generally sell out EVERY SINGLE GAME. Can the same be said for Dudy Noble?

Well, as you said yourself, Fenway has been renovated. We can renovate DNF, and we can make it a very nice, much more modern stadium if we want while still keeping the same basic structure as a foundation.
Again, you are basically saying you want to spend MORE to have an outdated Dudy Noble -- than it would cost to build a modern, brand new stadium. Why are you are for the sake of arguing on a topic that you CLEARLY haven't thought out to the extent that some of the rest of us have?

There is NO WAY to "renovate" Dudy Noble and have a "modern stadium." None.

P.S. The all-caps make you seem REALLY, REALLY ANGRY!!!
Does it? Maybe you should try making a decent post with DECENT points -- .instead of what creative way you can argue with people that have put ALOT more thought into something than you have on the internet? MAYBE even post something that is not in TOTAL reckless abandon of "what is best for MSU". And, yes, I am STILL pissed off about the stupidity you spewed in the Staley thread KNOWING it would be read by his family.

smootness
10-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Ok, nevermind. There's no point discussing anything with you; you turn it all into a heated argument. I just made a couple of comments; I want an honest discussion, that's it.

Tbonewannabe
10-03-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't understand the attachment a lot of people have to the stadium. Wasn't it built in 1986? It isn't exactly on the historic registry like Fenway Park would be. Fenway was built with the money they got from selling Babe Ruth's contract. They kind of have an attachment to it and they still renovate it all the time.

Going to a game at Trustmark Park is a lot more enjoyable than watching a game at Dudy Noble. This is coming from someone who got engaged in right field at Dudy Noble. If I didn't LOVE MSU baseball I wouldn't EVER sit in those shitty bleachers.

Todd4State
10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't understand the attachment a lot of people have to the stadium. Wasn't it built in 1986? It isn't exactly on the historic registry like Fenway Park would be. Fenway was built with the money they got from selling Babe Ruth's contract. They kind of have an attachment to it and they still renovate it all the time.

Going to a game at Trustmark Park is a lot more enjoyable than watching a game at Dudy Noble. This is coming from someone who got engaged in right field at Dudy Noble. If I didn't LOVE MSU baseball I wouldn't EVER sit in those shitty bleachers.

The M-Braves were just rated the fifth best gameday experience in the minor leagues.

But to answer your question- I think we have some fans that are superstitious. In other words- "the magic might go away". Others I think may be worried about losing their seat if they have really good seats. Some probably think it's the best in America, so why change?

SheltonChoked
10-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Smootness. I thought the same way. But we cannot renovate Dudy Noble for at least 5 reasons:

1) The chairback contracts. We will never have good seats available for the public until we get rid of this very short sighted agreement

2) Sightlines for any seats along the outfield foul lines. As stated repeatedly, without building bleachers that look like an exponential curve down the foul line, you cannot see the infield at Dudy Noble

3) $$$ By rebuilding the Concrete structure in a way that is easily expandable (see the new end zone vs the west side expansion -- not coincidentally, built at the same time with the same non expandability) for regular, chairback, and premium seating.

4) Comfort of fans. We need many more bathrooms, concession stands, things for families, and things for students. The current (well since Camden Yards was buillt) way to do this is with an open concourse. An open Concourse allows fans to not miss seeing the action while getting food or going to the bathroom. This increases concession sales. Therefore more $$$. Again, we cannot renovate an open concorse into the current Dudy Noble.

5) $$$$ it cost TAMU $28MM to renovate Olsen to Bluebell park. It's costing Bama around $35MM to build a new Staduim. Which would you rather do?

I'd love to see us have the following:

An open concourse plan with chairbacks (or at least bleachers) to the foul poles Similar to TD ameritrade. Leave the outfield alone for the most part, but add bathrooms, concessions, and possibly a berm for a second level of open seating.

engie
10-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Good post Shelton, I agree 100% with that.

To me, we are at a crossroads. We either BE THE JONESES with something we can poke our chests out about for another generation -- or we fall to middle of the pack in the SEC and our children never know the awe and glory that was Dudy Noble when it was the best around -- and the park becomes average JUST LIKE everything else MSU is(speaking frankly). I like the idea of remaining ELITE -- on every level -- at something.

Here's my overall viewpoint. We don't have to do this "right now". But we need to plan for it(make it TREMENDOUS and leak the plans as you go), figure out financing, and start putting it together. Put up billboards of the "future" Dudy Noble at the games -- and let everyone know it's coming. Then, actually build it whenever we've finally got the money. Doesn't have to be on a deadline -- but the plans NEED to be in place. You can even allot what is the "baseball percentage" from the SECNetwork toward the stadium. It could be a simple formula based on overall viewership of the baseball games vs the other sports played there(obviously football and basketball have to share the pie with all the non-revenue sports -- but it wouldn't be too much to ask for baseball to get their "own money" -- at least until the stadium is built).

messageboardsuperhero
10-03-2013, 02:13 PM
5) $$$$ it cost TAMU $28MM to renovate Olsen to Bluebell park. It's costing Bama around $35MM to build a new Staduim. Which would you rather do?

I agree with everything you said, but this especially. Would you rather spend 20-28 mil. to have an okay stadium with shitty sightlines, or would you rather spend 30-35 mil. to have one of the best college grandstands in America? To me, the answer is obvious. Even if it takes us an additional 1-2 years to raise the extra money.

Tbonewannabe
10-03-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't know what construction costs are currently but with the economy in the shitter I would think it would make sense to build it now. Interest rates can't get any lower and I would think demand for building materials should make it as cheap as possible at this point in time.

Another thing to consider is we have one of the top baseball architects that has worked on the top baseball parks in MLB. There is no reason she shouldn't be completely in charge of this if she would do it.

SheltonChoked
10-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks Engie.

I agree with your idea. I'm not expecting an announcement of anything for the baseball stadium yet, but I do hope that the town hall meetings are the first of many to hash out plans for the future of Dudy Noble. I'd love to see several concepts presented during SuperBulldog weekend, and anotherTown Hall to discuss the them with fundraising and marketing ongoing.

We have to do something, soon; but to rush into change for change sake, would be foolish.

The point remains, We have to be the JONESES (If I win the powerball, this will be the name of the new baseball complex)

Speaking of, one thing I forgot to include in my new Dudy Noble is a walk of history/hall of fame for MSU baseball. Statues/busts/plaques of our historic players and coaches going back to GC Creelman( who won 82% of his games) and Willie Mitchell (struck out 26 LSU batters in a game in 1909) to the current year. I'd put in down the main entrance wo the ballpark to make everyone see our long history.

ScoobaDawg
10-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks Engie.

I agree with your idea. I'm not expecting an announcement of anything for the baseball stadium yet, but I do hope that the town hall meetings are the first of many to hash out plans for the future of Dudy Noble. I'd love to see several concepts presented during SuperBulldog weekend, and anotherTown Hall to discuss the them with fundraising and marketing ongoing.

We have to do something, soon; but to rush into change for change sake, would be foolish.

The point remains, We have to be the JONESES (If I win the powerball, this will be the name of the new baseball complex)

Speaking of, one thing I forgot to include in my new Dudy Noble is a walk of history/hall of fame for MSU baseball. Statues/busts/plaques of our historic players and coaches going back to GC Creelman( who won 82% of his games) and Willie Mitchell (struck out 26 LSU batters in a game in 1909) to the current year. I'd put in down the main entrance wo the ballpark to make everyone see our long history.

I've been analyzing this issue for 7+ years even talking with a member of the current coaching staff who was a player at the time....how do you fix the issues of sight lines with limited foul ground to begin with down the lines. Engie has it right. a new grandstand has to be built. How is this done though. Do we play games somewhere else for a year or is the stadium relocated on campus (i dont see this ever being an option...)

I love your idea of a MState Basebal hall of fame and have included it in my grand plan for a long time. I would remove the road that divides the hump and dudy noble and turn it into the MAIN entrance.Almost everyone walks down that hill to get the grandstand entrance. Turn it into something nice . I would put a open air museum/walk of history right inside at the top of the hill around where the Right field entrance gate is. LOVE THIS IDEA

Rejlector84sports
10-05-2013, 09:37 PM
When the field at DWS was replaced MSU could not get a new field made of the turf that was developed at MSU and called the best turf in the world. In all this discussion about DNF, why isn't anyone discussing getting Janet Marie Smith involved? There was a huge story in the Alumnus magazine about how she was renovating all these pro baseball stadiums. We can't get her to do a little gratis for the home team??

Political Hack
10-05-2013, 09:44 PM
When the field at DWS was replaced MSU could not get a new field made of the turf that was developed at MSU and called the best turf in the world. In all this discussion about DNF, why isn't anyone discussing getting Janet Marie Smith involved? There was a huge story in the Alumnus magazine about how she was renovating all these pro baseball stadiums. We can't get her to do a little gratis for the home team??

it's astounding that's not happening.

That, plus the pans to change the LFL, the one thing that's made the Dude what it is, is absolutely absurd. I can't believe they're going to try to take the LFL away. Strick is ruining our Ath Dept and quickly returning it to the days of LT.

messageboardsuperhero
10-05-2013, 09:51 PM
it's astounding that's not happening.

That, plus the pans to change the LFL, the one thing that's made the Dude what it is, is absolutely absurd. I can't believe they're going to try to take the LFL away. Strick is ruining our Ath Dept and quickly returning it to the days of LT.

Where is this coming from? I'm not saying it isn't true, but I haven't heard anything about this except message board heresay.

Political Hack
10-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Where is this coming from? I'm not saying it isn't true, but I haven't heard anything about this except message board heresay.

I didn't know for sure until today. It's apparently happening, as I suspected, but there may be room for compromise.

My understanding is that the administration wants to shut it down, but if the fans cause a big uproar, they'll peel it back and just implement really strict guidelines which will require everyone to basically build a new trailer out there. At this point the fans will feel like it's a "win." That's the best compromise we're going to get based on what I was told today. Sucks... and just more proof that the bottom line to this group of assholes running our athletic department is more important than tradition or winning.

messageboardsuperhero
10-05-2013, 09:59 PM
I've been analyzing this issue for 7+ years even talking with a member of the current coaching staff who was a player at the time....how do you fix the issues of sight lines with limited foul ground to begin with down the lines. Engie has it right. a new grandstand has to be built. How is this done though. Do we play games somewhere else for a year or is the stadium relocated on campus (i dont see this ever being an option...)

I love your idea of a MState Basebal hall of fame and have included it in my grand plan for a long time. I would remove the road that divides the hump and dudy noble and turn it into the MAIN entrance.Almost everyone walks down that hill to get the grandstand entrance. Turn it into something nice . I would put a open air museum/walk of history right inside at the top of the hill around where the Right field entrance gate is. LOVE THIS IDEA

I'm assuming you talked to Tyler Bratton. Hopefully it is well known among our staff what needs to be done.

I heard an interview with Stricklin the other day where he said something along the lines of "There is nothing wrong with the current grandstand and tearing it down would be a waste." Does he not understand the basic geometry of sightlines? Maybe we need to make him sit in the bleachers for a weekend series and see how he feels. Also, I'd argue that it would be a huge waste of potential revenue to not tear it down and start over. It gets us out of those ridiculous lifetime contracts and opens up way more premium seating that would be impossible in the current structure. Somebody needs to change his mind.

messageboardsuperhero
10-05-2013, 10:54 PM
I didn't know for sure until today. It's apparently happening, as I suspected, but there may be room for compromise.

My understanding is that the administration wants to shut it down, but if the fans cause a big uproar, they'll peel it back and just implement really strict guidelines which will require everyone to basically build a new trailer out there. At this point the fans will feel like it's a "win." That's the best compromise we're going to get based on what I was told today. Sucks... and just more proof that the bottom line to this group of assholes running our athletic department is more important than tradition or winning.

That is just sad and pathetic.

If he tries to handle all this DNF stuff like I unfortunately think he might, Stricklin can catch the next train out of town. The notion of shutting down LFL is absolutely absurd. That is by far the best and most unique tradition, not only for baseball, but in our entire athletic department.

ScoobaDawg
10-06-2013, 12:45 AM
I'm assuming you talked to Tyler Bratton. Hopefully it is well known among our staff what needs to be done.

I heard an interview with Stricklin the other day where he said something along the lines of "There is nothing wrong with the current grandstand and tearing it down would be a waste." Does he not understand the basic geometry of sightlines? Maybe we need to make him sit in the bleachers for a weekend series and see how he feels. Also, I'd argue that it would be a huge waste of potential revenue to not tear it down and start over. It gets us out of those ridiculous lifetime contracts and opens up way more premium seating that would be impossible in the current structure. Somebody needs to change his mind.

Correct..didn't want to name drop as it's been a few years since we discussed this. He also agreed about the sight line issues and referenced ms braves stadium (that's no way an endorsement by the coaching staff of that being a possibility)
I'm only hoping Cohen cares enough to do it right and make Scott do it right...and gets his way much like he wanted the field.

ScoobaDawg
10-06-2013, 12:47 AM
I swear if scott changes the LFL I will not ever goto another game there as long as he is in charge. And I will call, email or tell him to his face what a horrible decision it would be. Even if i am in in texas and rarely make an event. I know the
rig/crew I sit with that has been there since the beginning would fully agree.