PDA

View Full Version : Chipper will be elected to HOF tomorrow. What percentage of the vote will he get?

Commercecomet24
01-23-2018, 11:24 PM
I say 98%.

msstate7
01-23-2018, 11:26 PM
I say the same % that men?s basketball misses 3s

Commercecomet24
01-23-2018, 11:28 PM

Dude that?s one of the funniest things I?ve ever seen on here! Kudos! Rep given!

Cooterpoot
01-23-2018, 11:32 PM
88%
There are some that don’t like his political views and such.

Commercecomet24
01-23-2018, 11:36 PM

So you?re saying 99% then lol!

Commercecomet24
01-23-2018, 11:37 PM
88%
There are some that don’t like his political views and such.

Could be right. I saw a straw poll and they had him at 97%.

Goldendawg
01-23-2018, 11:54 PM
Never forget watching the Braves years ago when Skip Carey would say that there were 1000's of fans there disguised as empty seats.

Todd4State
01-23-2018, 11:57 PM
I'm going to guess 84%. The HOF writers always come up with some BS reason to not vote for a player.

Even Babe Ruth didn't get 100% of the vote.

The media should not vote on the HOF. It should be 100% former players.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 12:05 AM
I'm going to guess 84%. The HOF writers always come up with some BS reason to not vote for a player.

Even Babe Ruth didn't get 100% of the vote.

The media should not vote on the HOF. It should be 100% former players.

Amen Todd! Agree 100% if hank Aaron and babe Ruth didn?t get 100% it?s messed up. Tom Seaver had the highest percentage at 98 til Griffey got 99.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 01:24 AM
With 51% of votes tabulated Chipper is at 98.6 percent, Vlad Guerrero at 94.5 and Jim Thome at 92.6

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 01:34 AM
Never forget watching the Braves years ago when Skip Carey would say that there were 1000's of fans there disguised as empty seats.

I miss skip and pete. I grew up listening to them on am radio back in 70s. We lived in country no cable so I listened to them. Great memories of some really bad teams.

parabrave
01-24-2018, 09:35 AM

louisvilledawg
01-24-2018, 09:40 AM
I say 95%

If the kid wasn't unanimous, no way Chipper will be.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 09:52 AM
56% of the votes have been counted. Chipper is at 98.3 percent. This could be a huge class if voting holds, of course lot of votes left to count but here are the ones right now with enough votes to be inducted:

Chipper Jones - 98.3
Vlad Guererro - 95.0
Jim Thome - 93.3
Trevor Hoffman - 78.6
Edgar Martinez - 77.3

Long way to go yet.

shoeless joe
01-24-2018, 09:52 AM
Chipper was one of the smartest hitters to ever play. Prolly the smartest of his time...maybe second to bonds. Loved watching him play.

However, as fun as he was to watch on the diamond he's equally as cringeworthy on his hunting show he does nowadays.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 09:54 AM
Chipper was one of the smartest hitters to ever play. Prolly the smartest of his time...maybe second to bonds. Loved watching him play.

However, as fun as he was to watch on the diamond he's equally as cringeworthy on his hunting show he does nowadays.

Have to agree. One of my favorite players of all time. Watched his show a couple of times and you're right cringeworthy is the best way to describe it.

Cooterpoot
01-24-2018, 09:57 AM
Damn, it's a weak class this year minus Larry Wayne.

parabrave
01-24-2018, 10:56 AM

Don't forget about his defense.

louisvilledawg
01-24-2018, 11:00 AM

Speaking of Bonds, i heard somewhere if you were to take all of Bonds' homeruns and turn them into Ks, he would still have fewer strikeouts than Alex Rodriguez. Just a fun fact for you. Dude was one of the best hitters of all time.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 11:02 AM
Don't forget about his defense.

Other than Brooks Robinson, Chipper was the best I ever saw at charging slow rollers and bunts and making that off balance throw for the out. He had a dang strong arm too, especially when he was younger. Chipper would boot a routine grounder every now and then. Watching the Braves hasn't been the same since Larry Wayne retired.

louisvilledawg
01-24-2018, 11:02 AM
Also, a fun discussion:

Recently I've seen videos of Palmeiro trying to make a comeback. I think he's serious- though I doubt he makes it back (think he's 55.)

Do you think he's trying to make a comeback because he sincerely thinks he can play at an MLB level?

Or do you think he's just trying to make a comeback in order to reset his HOF clock and hopefully let the substance issue awareness get further and further from our perception of him?

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 11:10 AM
Also, a fun discussion:

Recently I've seen videos of Palmeiro trying to make a comeback. I think he's serious- though I doubt he makes it back (think he's 55.)

Do you think he's trying to make a comeback because he sincerely thinks he can play at an MLB level?

Or do you think he's just trying to make a comeback in order to reset his HOF clock and hopefully let the substance issue awareness get further and further from our perception of him?

I read about that too. I honestly think he's trying to reset the clock. Without the substance issue he would already be in. Had such a sweet swing. It's a shame.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 11:17 AM
Some other interesting numbers in the election:

Manny Ramirez - 22%
Barry Bonds - 64%
Roger Clemens - 64%

parabrave
01-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Would like to see Crimedog and Sheffield in.

shoeless joe
01-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Speaking of Bonds, i heard somewhere if you were to take all of Bonds' homeruns and turn them into Ks, he would still have fewer strikeouts than Alex Rodriguez. Just a fun fact for you. Dude was one of the best hitters of all time.

He really was one of the greatest hitters ever. He never needed to cheat. His flaw was being mentally and socially week. If he could have overcome those insecurities and just played the game he would be revered with mantle and mays.

I was a bonds fan until he went all mutant....and made the comment that he was better than ted Williams because he had hit more homers, without regard for the fact that teddy ballgame missed years of his prime fighting for our country.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 01:50 PM
He really was one of the greatest hitters ever. He never needed to cheat. His flaw was being mentally and socially week. If he could have overcome those insecurities and just played the game he would be revered with mantle and mays.

I was a bonds fan until he went all mutant....and made the comment that he was better than ted Williams because he had hit more homers, without regard for the fact that teddy ballgame missed years of his prime fighting for our country.

Great post! I agree with everything you said. Bonds was a tremendous all around baseball player, one of the best ever, and then he blew it. Williams missed almost 5 years due to military service. No telling what numbers he wouldve finished with.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2018, 02:27 PM
He really was one of the greatest hitters ever. He never needed to cheat. His flaw was being mentally and socially weak. If he could have overcome those insecurities and just played the game he would be revered with mantle and mays.

That was definitely his downfall. He was the best all around player in the game but couldn't stand McGwire and Sosa getting all of the attention. I do wonder how much the roids helped his batting average. He had a great eye but I imagine increasing his swing speed probably helped get to some pitches he might not have before he went HULK. The guy still hardly struck out while hitting like that. He had a couple of the best seasons in baseball history. If he had a little more help, he would have had several rings.

Cooterpoot
01-24-2018, 02:42 PM
Bonds is a Hall of Famer. So is Clemons. I really don't care about the roids.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2018, 03:20 PM
Bonds is a Hall of Famer. So is Clemons. I really don't care about the roids.

What is hilarious is Bagwell is now in the Hall. That guy looked like the poster child for roids but he never got busted so I guess it is ok. Raffy catches a lot of hell for the finger wagging and then failing a test. I actually believe him because he was tested a couple of weeks after his failure and he was clean. It is known that if you are a regular user that you can fail months after you completely quit. Other than consistency, Raffy didn't look like he ever did roids. His whole penalty is based on Jose naming everyone on the Rangers.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 03:27 PM
What is hilarious is Bagwell is now in the Hall. That guy looked like the poster child for roids but he never got busted so I guess it is ok. Raffy catches a lot of hell for the finger wagging and then failing a test. I actually believe him because he was tested a couple of weeks after his failure and he was clean. It is known that if you are a regular user that you can fail months after you completely quit. Other than consistency, Raffy didn't look like he ever did roids. His whole penalty is based on Jose naming everyone on the Rangers.

I don't doubt steroid use was pretty common, but Canseco is a nut job. You ever watch him in an interview he gives some of the most incoherent, rambling answers I've ever heard.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2018, 03:33 PM
I don't doubt steroid use was pretty common, but Canseco is a nut job. You ever watch him in an interview he gives some of the most incoherent, rambling answers I've ever heard.

I am sure roids were fairly common but I don't trust anything that guy says. It might be a conspiracy theory but I could see Raffy getting a "positive test" after he wagged his finger. Baseball was sacrificing someone with a name and he was just too convenient. Raffy was probably retiring at the end of that year or one more. He was just trying to get to 3,000 hits at that point and the Os would have let him play 1st or DH until he got it.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 03:36 PM
I am sure roids were fairly common but I don't trust anything that guy says. It might be a conspiracy theory but I could see Raffy getting a "positive test" after he wagged his finger. Baseball was sacrificing someone with a name and he was just too convenient. Raffy was probably retiring at the end of that year or one more. He was just trying to get to 3,000 hits at that point and the Os would have let him play 1st or DH until he got it.

Yeah Canseco is out there. He has zero credibility and he claims baseball "blackballed" him cause he told the truth about steroids. I sure wish Raffy could get in the hall.

The only thing you can be sure of with Canseco is that he and Mcgwire did steroids.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2018, 03:45 PM
Yeah Canseco is out there. He has zero credibility and he claims baseball "blackballed" him cause he told the truth about steroids. I sure wish Raffy could get in the hall.

The only thing you can be sure of with Canseco is that he and Mcgwire did steroids.

I am sure Raffy will eventually get in once they let either Bonds or Clemens in. There isn't a handful of people that have 500 HRs and 3k hits to go along with his gold gloves. The only knock on him was he wasn't ever the best at his position and he never won a World Series.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 03:49 PM
I am sure Raffy will eventually get in once they let either Bonds or Clemens in. There isn't a handful of people that have 500 HRs and 3k hits to go along with his gold gloves. The only knock on him was he wasn't ever the best at his position and he never won a World Series.

He has HOF numbers for sure. Only 4 other players have 500 HRS and 3K hits, it's elite company. I'd always hoped, early in their careers, that him and Will both would get in. The injuries took their toll on Will and the steroid allegations got Raffy. Sure would've been nice to see both of them in the Hall even though they weren't best buds lol

shoeless joe
01-24-2018, 04:19 PM
That was definitely his downfall. He was the best all around player in the game but couldn't stand McGwire and Sosa getting all of the attention. I do wonder how much the roids helped his batting average. He had a great eye but I imagine increasing his swing speed probably helped get to some pitches he might not have before he went HULK. The guy still hardly struck out while hitting like that. He had a couple of the best seasons in baseball history. If he had a little more help, he would have had several rings.

His swing was pretty awesome from day 1. I don't think the roids helped him there but definitely helped in the power department. Bonds did an interview about his swing with rick sutcliffe one time and it was amazing listening to him describe how he focused on one spot and when he got a pitch there he just didn't miss it.

In today's game the only guy that even remotely has the hands and a similar swing to bonds is Robinson cano. They both have/had the ability to keep their hands inside a ball that was thrown right off their hip and barrel it up. I love watching cano hit.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 04:25 PM
His swing was pretty awesome from day 1. I don't think the roids helped him there but definitely helped in the power department. Bonds did an interview about his swing with rick sutcliffe one time and it was amazing listening to him describe how he focused on one spot and when he got a pitch there he just didn't miss it.

In today's game the only guy that even remotely has the hands and a similar swing to bonds is Robinson cano. They both have/had the ability to keep their hands inside a ball that was thrown right off their hip and barrel it up. I love watching cano hit.

Great point. Most mere mortals when they try to get to that pitch either breaks their bat or if they get the barrell to it they pull it foul. Cano has great hands just like Bonds did. Another one that could get that pitch and hammer it was Edgar Martinez. He hit one in an All Star game at Fenway on a 97mph fastball way in off the plate. Pulled his hands in and just hammered it. I saw him do that numerous times. Dude was a great hitter, with bad knees and back, and couldn't play defense. But he could pure rake.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 06:21 PM
Chipper voted in with 97.2 percent

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 06:22 PM
4 elected, Chipper, Vlad, Thome and Trevor Hoffman

Todd4State
01-24-2018, 06:40 PM

And Craig Biggio for that matter. I guess Canseco didn't know any of the Astros players at that time. One guy the Astros players most certainly knew was Ken Caminiti who was one of the biggest steroid users in the game- and I would be pretty surprised if he didn't share some "work out tips" with his teammates. It does show how completely two faced the media is- and why again for the second time in this thread I will say that the media should not vote on HOF members. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey, Jr. used at some point in their careers as well. And then there is the fact that they have inducted God knows how many players that have used greenies and whatever else through the years.

Commerce- Canseco blackballed himself because he didn't work on his game like the other geats at that time- McGwire, Bonds, Clemens, etc. and became a DH only guy who struck out too much despite the fact that he had legit five tool HOF talent. Of course, with Jose it's always someone else's fault- so his plan was to take down everyone in the game he was jealous of. Not only is he a nutjob- he's a worthless POS.

On Palmeiro- I'm very sure he's serious about a comeback but I can't see him as anything other than a role player at this point. I think he can still hit- but I have serious doubts about how he and his body are going to handle a 162 game grind. I agree that he is trying to reset his HOF clock- so if he is able to make it to Memorial Day for someone he can still retire and accomplish what he set out to do. I'm not sure that he has to do this though- I agree that all of the steroid users will be let in eventually. Probably by the veterans committee and people that have actually played baseball and know what the hell they are talking about.

On the group this year- I disagree that it's a weak class. Chipper is a no brainer and one of the top 10 third basemen of all time and probably one of the top 5 switch hitters. Trevor Hoffman is one of the best closers of all time. Jim Thome is a 500+ home run hitter. Edgar Martinez is considered by many to be the best DH of all time. Vlad Guerrero had one of the best outfield arms in baseball history and was pretty close to Roberto Clemente class in that regard and is borderline in the HOF magic numbers of 3K hits and 500+ home runs.

Todd4State
01-24-2018, 06:45 PM
He has HOF numbers for sure. Only 4 other players have 500 HRS and 3K hits, it's elite company. I'd always hoped, early in their careers, that him and Will both would get in. The injuries took their toll on Will and the steroid allegations got Raffy. Sure would've been nice to see both of them in the Hall even though they weren't best buds lol

I hate that the HOF has become so much about magic numbers and as you can tell- public groupthink essentially based on hearsay in some cases regarding steroids.

To me, if I think a player is a HOF player I'm voting him in regardless of what he did off the field and regardless of their numbers. Will Clark was the best first baseman in the game in the late 80's and argueably the early 1990's. Injuries taking a toll on his career are no different than injuries taking a toll on Sandy Koufax and Dizzy Dean's career- and yes, I think both of them belong in without question. And I would have no problem with Clark getting in. And as far as Palmeiro- 3K hits and 500 home runs in a career get you in.

Heck, I think if you are the best pinch hitter in MLB history, best set-up guy, best whatever- put them in.

KB21
01-24-2018, 07:48 PM
I hate that the HOF has become so much about magic numbers and as you can tell- public groupthink essentially based on hearsay in some cases regarding steroids.

To me, if I think a player is a HOF player I'm voting him in regardless of what he did off the field and regardless of their numbers. Will Clark was the best first baseman in the game in the late 80's and argueably the early 1990's. Injuries taking a toll on his career are no different than injuries taking a toll on Sandy Koufax and Dizzy Dean's career- and yes, I think both of them belong in without question. And I would have no problem with Clark getting in. And as far as Palmeiro- 3K hits and 500 home runs in a career get you in.

Heck, I think if you are the best pinch hitter in MLB history, best set-up guy, best whatever- put them in.

Yep, just like I think Dale Murphy should be in the HOF. He was one of, if not the most feared hitter in the game during the 1980s, a two time MVP, silver slugger, gold glove awards....etc.

The Federalist Engineer
01-24-2018, 08:44 PM
There is a St Louis baseball writer who has a vote that is working to cost Chipper votes because Chipper joked about putting gators in the Rio Grande to stop illegal immigration ... so that?s one vote he won?t get

msstate7
01-24-2018, 08:46 PM
There is a St Louis baseball writer who has a vote that is working to cost Chipper votes because Chipper joked about putting gators in the Rio Grande to stop illegal immigration ... so that?s one vote he won?t get

If you vote or not vote for someone over political reasons, you should lose your vote

The Federalist Engineer
01-24-2018, 08:49 PM
Sheffield is a definite yes but the Crime dawg was basically just good but not great

crime dawg was almost platoon material against all decent lefties

As a Braves fan, I still remember Kevin Brown basically owning us in several series loses

msstate7
01-24-2018, 08:59 PM
Andruw Jones should make it, but he won?t

Ari Gold
01-24-2018, 09:17 PM

He shouldn’t make what ?? The Braves hall of fame ?

msstate7
01-24-2018, 09:19 PM
He shouldn’t make what ?? The Braves hall of fame ?

Andruw should make the mlb hall of fame. Already a member of the braves? Hof

Ari Gold
01-24-2018, 09:19 PM
Andruw should make the mlb hall of fame. Already a member of the braves? Hof

You can’t be serious.. wow.

msstate7
01-24-2018, 09:33 PM
You can’t be serious.. wow.

434 HRs, one of if not the best defensive OF ever, and 67.1 fWAR over 14 years

Referencing that 67.1 fWAR... Ken Griffey jr had 77.7 fWAR over 21 years. Andruw avg fWAR per year = 4.8; Griffey avg fWAR per year = 3.7

Cooterpoot
01-24-2018, 09:35 PM
While I personally wouldn’t vote for Jones, his numbers are more impressive than most people realize. And talking about Biggio, his kid played ball with mine. I’m 6’1, 215. I’d guess he’s about 5’9, 170. But he’s a health freak, so I’m not sure I buy him on roids. A couple years ago, I had a couple flights with Conseco. That sum beach don’t have a brain cell left. Was jacked up on something both flights. Could barely speak.

Ari Gold
01-24-2018, 09:36 PM

Referencing that 67.1 fWAR... Ken Griffey jr had 77.7 fWAR over 21 years. Andruw avg fWAR per year = 4.8; Griffey avg fWAR per year = 3.7

It’s the Hall of Fame.. not the Hall of good or Hall of Very Good
And to have Jr and Jones in the same breath is absurd.

Quaoarsking
01-24-2018, 09:41 PM

Baseball Reference has 4 different formulas that measure players' Hall of Fame credentials:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesan01.shtml

Andruw Jones meets the standard on 1 of the 4, which is admittedly more than I would have assumed, so he should at least be in the conversation and get enough votes to stay on the ballot for 10 years.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2018, 09:48 PM
Bill James has written some great books on the Hall of Fame and things to look for in a true Hall of Famer. The Politics Of Glory is my favorite. Great reads if you love baseball and it?s history.

msstate7
01-24-2018, 09:49 PM
Baseball Reference has 4 different formulas that measure players' Hall of Fame credentials:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesan01.shtml

Andruw Jones meets the standard on 1 of the 4, which is admittedly more than I would have assumed, so he should at least be in the conversation and get enough votes to stay on the ballot for 10 years.

I prefer fangraphs. Here is their article on Andruw...

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-defense-of-andruw-jones-hall-of-fame-credentials/

shoeless joe
01-24-2018, 10:38 PM
It’s the Hall of Fame.. not the Hall of good or Hall of Very Good
And to have Jr and Jones in the same breath is absurd.

While I'm not sure Andruw belongs in Cooperstown, Griffey doesn't hold a candle to him on the defensive side of the ball, so he should be in the discussion.

BoomBoom
01-24-2018, 11:12 PM

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-defense-of-andruw-jones-hall-of-fame-credentials/

Andruw's problem is how much he dropped off once he turned 30. he didn't take his physical condition seriously, and it caught up to him.

msstate7
01-24-2018, 11:14 PM
While I'm not sure Andruw belongs in Cooperstown, Griffey doesn't hold a candle to him on the defensive side of the ball, so he should be in the discussion.

No one holds a candle to Andruw defensively in CF. This graph was taken from the fangraphs article I linked above...

https://s9.postimg.org/6tr98rgf3/4449_F67_F-7_C99-4_AC0-9939-535224_E9_F79_A.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/t5p225fiz/)

The difference between Andruw (best defensive cf) and #2 willie mays is huge.

BrunswickDawg
01-25-2018, 11:44 AM

Here is another good one from the NYT - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/sports/baseball/andruw-jones-hall-of-fame.html

It rates Andruw and the best defensive outfielder of all time.

Commercecomet24
01-25-2018, 11:57 AM
No one holds a candle to Andruw defensively in CF. This graph was taken from the fangraphs article I linked above...

https://s9.postimg.org/6tr98rgf3/4449_F67_F-7_C99-4_AC0-9939-535224_E9_F79_A.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/t5p225fiz/)

The difference between Andruw (best defensive cf) and #2 willie mays is huge.

I agree Andruw was an elite defender. That's kind of an odd chart though and I wonder what stats they used. I have never heard or seen an stats that say Jesse Barfield was the greatest defensive rf and Brian Jordan was 2nd best. And Willie Wilson as the greatest defensive LF? Willie Wilson arm was so weak he couldn't throw me out at the plate. And 2B Bill Mazeroski nowhere to be found and by every defensive statistic and metric out there he is one of the greatest defensive players of all time regardless of position. Mazeroski: his 113 defensive career Win Shares is 1st all time in the history of MLB for a second baseman. I loved watching Andruw play and he was no doubt one of the elite defenders of all time but some of those others on the chart, I question what they were actually using to achieve these results.

msstate7
01-25-2018, 11:59 AM
Andruw's problem is how much he dropped off once he turned 30. he didn't take his physical condition seriously, and it caught up to him.

Yeah, if he quit after his last season in Atlanta, people would view his career much different.

dawgday166
01-25-2018, 01:02 PM

Not sure I agree on this one. .254 lifetime BA ... that be pretty low. And while he is a good to great defender with great arm, he wasn't the Ozzie Smith of his position.

dawgday166
01-25-2018, 01:05 PM

LOL ... State 7 you showing some bias now. Andruw good to great outfielder, but he ain't in top 10 of all time great defensively. Mays, Clemente, just to start the top 10.

Lord McBuckethead
01-25-2018, 01:22 PM

cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Commercecomet24
01-25-2018, 01:25 PM
cocaine is a hell of a drug.

I wonder Canseco and Lawrence Taylor every hung out. lol

BoomBoom
01-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Yeah, if he quit after his last season in Atlanta, people would view his career much different.

it's a shame. i thought he'd challenge Aaron, because i figured he'd play past 40 with his D. he didn't make it past 35.

on the other hand, the dude enjoyed life. can't fault a guy for that, it is just a game.