PDA

View Full Version : QB controversy: Mullen says we will start Tyler

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Mullen has me really confused on this. Even Barrett Sallee has figure this one out, and we know it must be very obvious if Barrett can figure it out.

Edward Aschoff ‏@AschoffESPN 45s
I'd go Prescott RT @barrettsallee: There's absolutely no reason for Miss. St. to start Russell. Prescott has been solid. Ride the hot hand.

I just don't get it.

In the past two weeks Mullen has said:

1. Tyler is our starter

2. Both QBs are equal

3. Released a depth chart that had Dak as the starter

4. Said today that Tyler will start

Surely Mullen isn't this dumb. He could really really lose his fan base Saturday night if he doesn't handle this correctly.

SignalToNoise
10-02-2013, 12:15 PM
In fairness Tyler did play well at Baton Rouge last year. Considering we are now inexperienced at WR I would play Prescott, but Tyler moved the ball against them OK last year so maybe try him a series or two?

curmudgeon
10-02-2013, 12:16 PM
We're making LSU spend time gameplanning for two distinctly difference offenses the week after they had a big time game. We're going to beat them.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2013, 12:17 PM
We're making LSU spend time gameplanning for two distinctly difference offenses the week after they had a big time game. We're going to beat them.

I get this, but why lie? Just say something that rides the fence. Mullen makes the mistake of saying something definitive.

MadDawg
10-02-2013, 12:18 PM
We have the worst fans on the planet. Bar none.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2013, 12:19 PM
In fairness Tyler did play well at Baton Rouge last year. Considering we are now inexperienced at WR I would play Prescott, but Tyler moved the ball against them OK last year so maybe try him a series or two?

This ain't last year baby! No senior receiving core, and we now have a much better defense. Need to pound the ball, run clock, and then hit them over the top. Dak all the way and I don't get how it's a debate for anyone.

Why waste two series? That could be difference in the game. We need to maximize every possession we get.

ShotgunDawg

?

Coach34
even LSU fans around here have said they hope we play Russell

It makes no sense

Coach34
10-02-2013, 12:20 PM

we scored 10 points with Russell last year and he threw a Pick-6

curmudgeon
10-02-2013, 12:21 PM
curmudgeon agrees with MadDawg

Between this and the Jones should start at DE thread my head hurts today from the stupid.

Maybe Coach34 can explain to you the benefit of creating confusion in the opponent's game plan.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2013, 12:23 PM
curmudgeon agrees with MadDawg

Between this and the Jones should start at DE thread my head hurts today from the stupid.

Maybe Coach34 can explain to you the benefit of creating confusion in the opponent's game plan.

I agree that the Chris Jones DE thread is dumb, but what is wrong with this one?

engie
10-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Give Russell a scripted drive to start the game = TD or field goal VERY likely.
Give him a scripted drive to start the second half = TD or field goal pretty likely.
Give him one more scripted drive for hurry up just before the half.
This could work and work well. Tyler scores on the VAST MAJORITY of pre-scripted plays. That's BY FAR when he's at his best.

The term "starting" is overblown. Dak is going to get most of the reps.

SignalToNoise
10-02-2013, 12:32 PM
This ain't last year baby! No senior receiving core, and we now have a much better defense. Need to pound the ball, run clock, and then hit them over the top. Dak all the way and I don't get how it's a debate for anyone.

Why waste two series? That could be difference in the game. We need to maximize every possession we get.

Yeah, I get that, and that is why I said as much. I'm on team Dak and all, just saying that he had one of his better games against LSU last year. So now Lester has to consider that TR moved the ball on last year's LSU defense which is considered to have been much better than this year's. He has to consider that in his game planning. He also has to consider that Dak has the hot hand and he'll probably see him too. Let's get every edge we can against these turds.

Jack Lambert
10-02-2013, 12:32 PM

didn't he throw a interception in the end zone or close to the end zone that got run back for a TD?

SignalToNoise
10-02-2013, 12:34 PM
didn't he throw a interception in the end zone or close to the end zone that got run back for a TD?

Yes he did. Here's his stats from last year.

26/38, 295 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT.

Jack Lambert
10-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Yes he did. Here's his stats from last year.

26/38, 295 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT.

I agree he played well last year but that play and I think a fumble by Perkins kind of put the game out of reach for us.

Political Hack
10-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Give him a scripted drive to start the second half = TD or field goal pretty likely.
This could work and work well. Tyler scores on the VAST MAJORITY of pre-scripted plays. That's BY FAR when he's at his best.

Use both and win the damn game. Engie gets it.

Dawg61
10-02-2013, 12:51 PM

This +1 in spades! It's so obvious Mullen is just 17ing with LSU and Chavis. He is FORCING them to prepare for both. Russell becomes much more effective when the defense is preparing for Relf2.0. Remember how Russell first looked when he came in for Relf? When Russell starts checking plays and not following the script seems to be when he AND Perkins lose effectiveness.

C222
10-02-2013, 12:59 PM

We really do. It's amazing.

C222
10-02-2013, 01:00 PM
I get this, but why lie? Just say something that rides the fence. Mullen makes the mistake of saying something definitive.

I'm sure Mullen is really upset that you don't like the way he is handling this.

Bubb Rubb
10-02-2013, 01:00 PM
We really do. It's amazing.

If you've been a State fan as long as I have, it's not especially surprising.

Oxfordawg
10-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Fumble was Milton

C222
10-02-2013, 01:03 PM
If you've been a State fan as long as I have, it's not especially surprising.

Been a fan since 1991. It's gotten worse over the years.

FISHDAWG
10-02-2013, 01:04 PM
I called Dan and told him I had $500 V-cash bet on Russell starting - me & Dan, we be mates .... now pay me!

RTO Dawg
10-02-2013, 01:06 PM

Amen

blacklistedbully
10-02-2013, 01:08 PM
We all realize how Dak is the better dual-threat. But don't we run the exact same system regardless of who's in? Isn't that why many of us are frustrated with TR in our system, that we run one that isn't a good fit for him?

I mention this because I question just how much real value there is in "pretending" TR will be the guy. Is there really going to be that much difference in the way LSU prepares for us? Yes, I realize Dak is a greater threat to run, and that might mean they bring extra support in-the-box, but aren't they going to prepare for that anyway, as it's our offense whether TR runs it or not? It's not as if they have to prepare for a pro-set or pistol, etc.

Coach34
10-02-2013, 01:58 PM
No, we have started running a number of different things with Dakota in the game and abandoned the Pistol

Bubb Rubb
10-02-2013, 02:03 PM
We all realize how Dak is the better dual-threat. But don't we run the exact same system regardless of who's in? Isn't that why many of us are frustrated with TR in our system, that we run one that isn't a good fit for him?

I mention this because I question just how much real value there is in "pretending" TR will be the guy. Is there really going to be that much difference in the way LSU prepares for us? Yes, I realize Dak is a greater threat to run, and that might mean they bring extra support in-the-box, but aren't they going to prepare for that anyway, as it's our offense whether TR runs it or not? It's not as if they have to prepare for a pro-set or pistol, etc.

Everyone gets caught up in who our offense is suited for. The offense is suited for both. There are certain plays in the offense that Dak runs and TR doesn't, and vice versa. The whole point that I have been trying to make all along is that Dan Mullen will play who he thinks gives him the best chance to win on Saturday. If it's Dak, let's all get behind him. But if it's TR, let's all get the **** behind him too and stop bashing him over what he can or can't do, and second-guessing Mullen over his decision-making. If he plays either one of them and it goes bad, then Dan will do enough second guessing for all of us. Yes, TR hasn't won that big game yet, but Dak didn't exactly look like Russell Wilson against Auburn either. It's the MSU Bulldogs, not the MSU Daks.

CJDAWG85
10-02-2013, 02:12 PM
I honestly don't care if TR starts... He's a great QB... But we have to run plays suited around his strengths... I think Dan and Co. have a solid gameplan put together( lets's all ****ing hope so ) which would involve both QB's getting to play... I'd like to believe that if it's raining Saturday night, that Dak would get the nod... But I'm not going to freak out 3 days before kickoff... Save that for after the game when everyone is smashed

Percho
10-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Methinks CDM should start who we wants to. Period.

For sure if we do not win he started the wrong one.

Coach34
10-02-2013, 02:23 PM

In short- not really

We run the pistol with Tyler and different running plays. We havent run the counter or the zone stretch with the RB since Dakota took over. We dont run the Pistol with Dakota. We run more pass plays with Russell in there.

aGAIN- you have to think about how much time the LSU defense has at practice to rep these things- it's not all day like it is in the pros- they practice for 2-2 1/2 hours per day. The more they have to practice against- the less time spent on each

FlabLoser
10-02-2013, 02:25 PM

+1 on that. My thoughts exactly.

chef dixon
10-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Don't care who our QB is... Tyler, after all, is the best passing QB is MSU history. Its time for our WR's to step up and make some big plays. No more dropping bombs in stride.

gravedigger
10-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Bottom line, if we lose the game and fans see the difference in the loss is because the amount of snaps dak didn't get, Dan will not be able to get the fan base back.

Start not start, whatever. Dak has to be the one to shoulder the loss if that happens. Tyler is the cause and we will have a meltdown ala Houston nutt.

CadaverDawg
10-02-2013, 06:19 PM

If this is how it would ACTUALLY happen, that would be great. But you, me, and everybody else knows it ain't happening like that.

You guys can bash me if you want, but I will tell you what is more likely to happen if we start Russell...

A. He starts and we stall or throw a pick, then LSU scores, and we fall behind so quickly that by the time we put Dak in he is having to play catch up, which is NOT his style.

B. He starts and we score on the first drive so Mullen feels like he needs to ride the hot hand. It fails and we see the same shit we've seen the last 10 times Tyler started and we fail to score but maybe one more time in the game after that first scripted drive.

Mullen will not pull Tyler if he opens up the game with a scoring drive.

Our best chance is to start Prescott and hope we get the offense going like we did early against Auburn and Troy. If for some reason we fall behind and Dak isn't getting the offense moving, THEN bring in Russell. That way you're bringing in a guy that at least is a little bit better passer if we are in a Situation where LSU knows we are passing the rest of the game. But instead we will go bass ackwards and start the passer and bring in the runner in relief, therefore ruining a comeback opportunity, or at least making it less likely.

I hope like hell I'm wrong, but I have grown to expect dumb shit from Mullen. So until I see him make the right decisions in big games, I will expect Russell to start and a loss to ensue.

Martianlander
10-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Dak gives us the best chance to win, but how about this: Put both in the backfield for the first play. Snap to Russell, handoff to Dak with rollout option to pass or run. 2nd play, if we don't score a touchdown on the first, line Russell up at wide receiver, snap to Dak, throw short to Russell and he laterals to Perkins coming down the side hopefully for a touchdown.
After that go to Dak, maybe giving Russell a series or two. As long as Dak moves us he's the man.

CadaverDawg
10-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Dak gives us the best chance to win, but how about this: Put both in the backfield for the first play. Snap to Russell, handoff to Dak with rollout option to pass or run. 2nd play, if we don't score a touchdown on the first, line Russell up at wide receiver, snap to Dak, throw short to Russell and he laterals to Perkins coming down the side hopefully for a touchdown.
After that go to Dak, maybe giving Russell a series or two. As long as Dak moves us he's the man.

I would put $1000 on us botching both of those first two plays you mentioned. Especially against LSU. Hell, I bet we couldn't execute plays like that with NO defense on the field at all, ha.

msstate7
10-02-2013, 09:00 PM
I'd rather have dak start and play, but perhaps this break has lit a fire in TR. Maybe TR comes out and breaks the senior qb curse at msu. I hope both play well and we win with whoever. I just want to beat them so bad I can hardly stand it.

PendingTransaction
10-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Everyone gets caught up in who our offense is suited for. The offense is suited for both. There are certain plays in the offense that Dak runs and TR doesn't, and vice versa. The whole point that I have been trying to make all along is that Dan Mullen will play who he thinks gives him the best chance to win on Saturday. If it's Dak, let's all get behind him. But if it's TR, let's all get the **** behind him too and stop bashing him over what he can or can't do, and second-guessing Mullen over his decision-making. If he plays either one of them and it goes bad, then Dan will do enough second guessing for all of us. Yes, TR hasn't won that big game yet, but Dak didn't exactly look like Russell Wilson against Auburn either. It's the MSU Bulldogs, not the MSU Daks.

This is it. What we think doesn't mean a darn thing. If he puts Day in a QB, I'm still cheering as loud as I can. Or maybe Scott should fire Dan and pay all the Elitedawg coaches $150k each and win the National Championship.

CadaverDawg
10-02-2013, 09:12 PM
This is it. What we think doesn't mean a darn thing. If he puts Day in a QB, I'm still cheering as loud as I can. Or maybe Scott should fire Dan and pay all the Elitedawg coaches $150k each and win the National Championship.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Take that shit to Jeanspage

Will James
10-02-2013, 09:42 PM
I believe I called this one. Mullen can't help himself.

Coach34
10-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Unusual that Mullen would just go ahead and tell Lester who he will be playing against

msstate7
10-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Unusual that Mullen would just go ahead and tell Lester who he will be playing against

Maybe Mullen plans on just starting TR and then going to dak. Could be hoping announcing TR as starter gets lsu to spend more time preparing for TR.

Political Hack
10-02-2013, 10:46 PM
game plan and practice schedule has been set since Sunday. Announcing Tyler as the starter may make LSU switch their schedule up the next two days.

Coach 57
10-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Bottom line, if we lose the game and fans see the difference in the loss is because the amount of snaps dak didn't get, Dan will not be able to get the fan base back.

Start not start, whatever. Dak has to be the one to shoulder the loss if that happens. Tyler is the cause and we will have a meltdown ala Houston nutt.

Always thought Digger was one if my fav posters on SPS and posts like this is why. Spot on! If CDM hitches his wagon to JUST Tyler this could go south for him if we lose badly. Mark my words! We have the potential to beat LSU but certain things have to fall correctly for us to achieve victory. One if those is at the least alternating these kids in & out. If TR is the starter and gets all the reps in practice & in the game and lose? Oh my, the fan base (as posted by digger) will completely turn on a good coach. I can see this going bad in SO many ways. The thing is if he starts Dak & plays Dak mostly and loses he will or could say "I went with the hot hand and lost." But if he starts & plays Tyler mostly & loses badly..... If you guys think the media is bad NOW? It'll be innate able!

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Always thought Digger was one if my fav posters on SPS and posts like this is why. Spot on! If CDM hitches his wagon to JUST Tyler this could go south for him if we lose badly. Mark my words! We have the potential to beat LSU but certain things have to fall correctly for us to achieve victory. One if those is at the least alternating these kids in & out. If TR is the starter and gets all the reps in practice & in the game and lose? Oh my, the fan base (as posted by digger) will completely turn on a good coach. I can see this going bad in SO many ways. The thing is if he starts Dak & plays Dak mostly and loses he will or could say "I went with the hot hand and lost." But if he starts & plays Tyler mostly & loses badly..... If you guys think the media is bad NOW? It'll be innate able!

If Dan plays Tyler a bunch he better damn well hope he throws for 300 and we win or its gonna get bad.

My only problem with not starting Dak is that, how many possessions can we waste?

What if Tyler starts and does a scripted drive, but we don't score? Not saying Dak would've scored, but it would be a wasted drive where we weren't playing our best. How many drives can we justify wasting without our best QB on the field?

quickstrike2
10-03-2013, 08:43 AM
I dont think Les is losing much sleep at night wondering which qb we will play. They will have a game plan and make in game adjustments depending on what is happening. In game adjustments is kind of a foreign term for our stuff however.

smootness
10-03-2013, 08:48 AM

I really hope Mullen is not making any decisions based on the best outcome in the event we lose. Why are we always so concerned with what happens if we lose? What if we play Russell and win?

bocfarm
10-03-2013, 08:53 AM

Completely agree....if we lose bc he allowed TR to take most of the snaps, the season for a lot of fans will be over.

BulldogBear
10-03-2013, 09:02 AM
If this is how it would ACTUALLY happen, that would be great. But you, me, and everybody else knows it ain't happening like that.

You guys can bash me if you want, but I will tell you what is more likely to happen if we start Russell...

A. He starts and we stall or throw a pick, then LSU scores, and we fall behind so quickly that by the time we put Dak in he is having to play catch up, which is NOT his style.

B. He starts and we score on the first drive so Mullen feels like he needs to ride the hot hand. It fails and we see the same shit we've seen the last 10 times Tyler started and we fail to score but maybe one more time in the game after that first scripted drive.

Mullen will not pull Tyler if he opens up the game with a scoring drive.

Our best chance is to start Prescott and hope we get the offense going like we did early against Auburn and Troy. If for some reason we fall behind and Dak isn't getting the offense moving, THEN bring in Russell. That way you're bringing in a guy that at least is a little bit better passer if we are in a Situation where LSU knows we are passing the rest of the game. But instead we will go bass ackwards and start the passer and bring in the runner in relief, therefore ruining a comeback opportunity, or at least making it less likely.

I hope like hell I'm wrong, but I have grown to expect dumb shit from Mullen. So until I see him make the right decisions in big games, I will expect Russell to start and a loss to ensue.

+ 1million