PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Lady Vols = Alabama Football When Saban Leaves

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2018, 09:02 AM
When watching our incredible Women's basketball team dismantle Tennessee at home yesterday, I couldn't help but realize the similarities between what Pat Summit had built at Tennessee & what Nick Saban has built at Bama.

Then after the game, I read the Tennessee message boards & saw where they were insistent that Holly Warlick needs to be fired. Tennessee is currently 16-3.

Anyway, if you want to see what Alabama football will look like after Saban, Lady Vol basketball is the best forecast.

Pat Summitt left in Tennessee in 2012 & since then Tennessee has gone:

27-8
29-6
30-6
22-14
20-12

No Final Fours, 3 Elite 8s, & 1 Sweet Sixteen.

Tennessee Lady Vol basketball is a darn good program STILL, but not quite elite or dominant.

I will be very interesting to see how Alabama fans handle this & I would say that, even with Bama's dominance, Lady Vol basketball had a much greater grip on the sport of women's basketball than Bama has had on football.

shoeless joe
01-22-2018, 09:17 AM
Or maybe Vic is the Saban of WBB...

Ifyouonlyknew
01-22-2018, 09:21 AM
Or maybe Vic is the Saban of WBB...

I think Geno already has that title. Let's hope Vic can be Dabo.

msstate7
01-22-2018, 09:49 AM

Still think urban > dabo

TrapGame
01-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Or like LSU after Saban left. Miles road Saban's recruits and process until it petered out. Now O looks like the head shot.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-22-2018, 10:13 AM
Still think urban > dabo

Of course but Urban has 3 rings I'm hoping Vic can get us 1.

msstate7
01-22-2018, 10:16 AM
Of course but Urban has 3 rings I'm hoping Vic can get us 1.

It?s coming - C34

BuckyIsAB****
01-22-2018, 11:25 AM
I'd take Dabo over Meyer right now

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
01-22-2018, 09:49 PM
I think it's 3 sweet 16's and 1 elite eight.

TUSK
01-22-2018, 10:58 PM
Comparing elephants and oranges...

dawgday166
01-23-2018, 07:31 AM

Or maybe Saban is trying to become the Geno of CFB. Geno went somewhere with no history and built a powerhouse, taking down a historical powerhouse in the process.

Saban went somewhere where, as the Spurrier said, "Hell anyone can win at Alabama". I tend to say maybe not "just" anyone, but it's much easier than anyplace else in CFB.

msstate7
01-23-2018, 07:35 AM
Or maybe Saban is trying to become the Geno of CFB. Geno went somewhere with no history and built a powerhouse, taking down a historical powerhouse in the process.

Saban went somewhere where, as the Spurrier said, "Hell anyone can win at Alabama". I tend to say maybe not "just" anyone, but it's much easier than anyplace else in CFB.

Lsu was not a traditional power house though.

dawgday166
01-23-2018, 07:52 AM
Lsu was not a traditional power house though.

True ... but he didn't stay and sustain it either. My thought too is recruiting to UConn at that time was probably maybe just a little better than Mich. St. in CFB. LSU has built in recruiting advantages neither of UConn or Mich St. have. Pat Summit probably had a recruiting advantage over UConn too, when Geno first became coach.

BrunswickDawg
01-23-2018, 09:02 AM
The women's game is so different because, from an NCAA perspective, it is a relatively new sport. Women's sports weren't even a part of the NCAA until the late 1970s, and the Tourney didn't start until '82. The women's org that predated that - AIWA - started in the late 60s. Women's Basketball was so basic that schools like MUW could win National Titles (which they did in '71, and lost another in '74). Long time dynasties like Alabama, USC don't exist. So, anyone willing to invest in Women's Basketball has an opportunity to make noise. La Tech, ODU, and Auburn dominated the 80s, Tennessee dominated the 90s, and UCONN has dominated the 2000s. If you can find a coach, give them the resources they need, and allow a base to built, Women's Basketball is still wide open from a competition standpoint. Vic and the Ladies are a prime example of this.