PDA

View Full Version : Excuses

BuckyIsAB****
01-21-2018, 11:46 AM
I've never seen this board as a whole come out and give so many excuses and 2nd 3rd and 50th chances to a team like we have this mens basketball program.

We wouldve wanted the Fball and baseball coach gone years ago if we were this bad and looked this lost in those sports.

MarketingBully
01-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Bullshit. Rick Ray was the all time worst hire in men’s sports in SEC history. He’s going to be fired at SEMO. We gave Croom five years and in his fourth year he made a Liberty Bowl. It’s hard to rebuild a basketball program after a self imposed three year death penalty. I’m giving Howland four years and I think all of our fans should get behind him and this team and give him four years as well.

BuckyIsAB****
01-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Fair points. I just think after its been 6 or 7 years and you're still bad, you're probably just bad

msstate7
01-21-2018, 12:05 PM
I guess you would have fired Bruce pearl last season.

BuckyIsAB****
01-21-2018, 12:07 PM
I guess you would have fired Bruce pearl last season.

I dont think Auburn gives a shit anyway so no. Difference is state folks care about mens basketball, or we used to anyway.

Ari Gold
01-21-2018, 12:09 PM
I've never seen this board as a whole come out and give so many excuses and 2nd 3rd and 50th chances to a team like we have this mens basketball program.

We wouldve wanted the Fball and baseball coach gone years ago if we were this bad and looked this lost in those sports.

It’s ****ing year 3 .
We are ****ing 14-5
With loses to 4 tourney teams. ( 3 of those on the road)

And my statement that some of our fans have no concept of reality when it comes to our basketball program.. well here you go.

Ari Gold
01-21-2018, 12:11 PM
I dont think Auburn gives a shit anyway so no. Difference is state folks care about mens basketball, or we used to anyway.

Auburn fans didn’t care about hoops last 3 years.???
They only sold that place out basically every game..

BuckyIsAB****
01-21-2018, 12:17 PM
I'd love to be wrong but I dont see it. 14-5 against the schedule we played is not that impressive IMO

Coach34
01-21-2018, 12:17 PM
We are 14-5 with an RPI of 69 and that will go up after we play Kentucky. We have a shot at the NIT and 20 wins- which according to the Stands Lovers is a good season. So all is well.

Especially considering we have no Seniors

Ari Gold
01-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Bullshit. Rick Ray was the all time worst hire in men’s sports in SEC history. He’s going to be fired at SEMO. We gave Croom five years and in his fourth year he made a Liberty Bowl. It’s hard to rebuild a basketball program after a self imposed three year death penalty. I’m giving Howland four years and I think all of our fans should get behind him and this team and give him four years as well.

You make WAY too much sense..

Ari Gold
01-21-2018, 12:39 PM
I'd love to be wrong but I dont see it. 14-5 against the schedule we played is not that impressive IMO

It’s the same type of schedule RS had for many of his years... why do you think we didn’t make the dance when we had 20+ wins those years...

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Auburn fans didn’t care about hoops last 3 years.???
They only sold that place out basically every game..

It's funny that our fans say we care about basketball more than other SEC programs when we probably haven't had more than 3000 people at a game in the last 7 or so years. Bama had a good crowd yesterday and they're 12-6 and have been to the NCAA tourney 2 times in the last 13 years. Just like us.

BuckyIsAB****
01-21-2018, 12:45 PM
It's funny that our fans say we care about basketball more than other SEC programs when we probably haven't had more than 3000 people at a game in the last 7 or so years. Bama had a good crowd yesterday and they're 12-6 and have been to the NCAA tourney 2 times in the last 13 years. Just like us.

Bama hasnt been awful for 6 to 7 years either. At least they were competitive. Ray never came close to competitive and we were .500 last year. Dont blame anyone for not going

Ari Gold
01-21-2018, 12:47 PM
And I said it in the game thread..
losing Malik , Kegler , and missing out on the talent of Herarrd is a huge deal .
We don’t have and pro ready guys on this roster right now. And still seems like lots of chemistry issues.
Yes that is on Howland to figure out. And once again it’s year ****ing 3.

You people have to understand basketball isn’t like it was 10 years ago. Give CBH time to adjust .. we have very good young pieces in Nick and Ado..

Ari Gold
01-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Bama hasnt been awful for 6 to 7 years either. At least they were competitive. Ray never came close to competitive and we were .500 last year. Dont blame anyone for not going

Ray isn’t the ****ing coach now.. this makes no sense .. your using the shovel to dig your own grave now..

Ptolemy
01-21-2018, 01:01 PM

This^ We've started from scratch and I see MAJOR progress so I've been quiet and supportive but I also know with, "starting from scratch" Howland had a blank canvas so next year is on him with four years to build...we better be playing for the SEC title...

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-21-2018, 01:10 PM

Bama only has 7 more conference wins over the last 3 years than the awful teams we've had.

Auburn has 3 less conference wins over the last 3 seasons.

People show up to their games. And they don't even care about basketball like we do**

dawgday166
01-21-2018, 03:27 PM
It?s the same type of schedule RS had for many of his years... why do you think we didn?t make the dance when we had 20+ wins those years...

I SMFH at this too. Some folks just have some kind of idyllic, romanticized version of Stans' last 5 to 6 years or so.

Dawgface
01-21-2018, 03:30 PM
We are 14-5 with an RPI of 69 and that will go up after we play Kentucky. We have a shot at the NIT and 20 wins- which according to the Stands Lovers is a good season. So all is well.

Especially considering we have no Seniors

If we get to 20 wins and an NIT berth I will be tip toeing through the tulips.:D

msstate7
01-21-2018, 03:32 PM

Ha... great point. If attendance is the measure of caring about basketball, does anyone care less than us in the SEC?

maroonmania
01-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Only HC we've ever had in any major sport that didn't get a full 4 years was Rick Ray and there was no need to give him any more time because he wasn't recruiting anybody into the program. Howland is bringing talent into the program at a high rate.

Coach34
01-21-2018, 05:07 PM
Only HC we've ever had in any major sport that didn't get a full 4 years was Rick Ray and there was no need to give him any more time because he wasn't recruiting anybody into the program. Howland is bringing talent into the program at a high rate.

agreed

TALL DAWG
01-21-2018, 05:44 PM
This^ We've started from scratch and I see MAJOR progress so I've been quiet and supportive but I also know with, "starting from scratch" Howland had a blank canvas so next year is on him with four years to build...we better be playing for the SEC title...

Playing for a SEC championship next year??
How about we have a regular season with 21-22 wins, with a conference record of 11-5 or 12-6, and a Big Dance slot? I am not optimistic for a SEC title and do not think we should be overly concerned with one for next years team.

TALL DAWG
01-21-2018, 05:47 PM
I meant...or 11-7 in conf play...

tireddawg
01-21-2018, 06:52 PM
It’s ****ing year 3 .
We are ****ing 14-5
With loses to 4 tourney teams. ( 3 of those on the road)

And my statement that some of our fans have no concept of reality when it comes to our basketball program.. well here you go.

What about this reality?

2012?13 Mississippi State 13?17 5?11 T-11th
2013?14 Mississippi State 22?14 5?11 13th WNIT Quarterfinals
2014?15 Mississippi State 27?7 11?5 3rd NCAA Second Round
2015?16 Mississippi State 28?8 11?5 T-2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2016?17 Mississippi State 34?5 13?3 2nd NCAA Runner-Up
2017?18 Mississippi State 19?0 5?0

Ari Gold
01-21-2018, 07:09 PM
What about this reality?

2012?13 Mississippi State 13?17 5?11 T-11th
2013?14 Mississippi State 22?14 5?11 13th WNIT Quarterfinals
2014?15 Mississippi State 27?7 11?5 3rd NCAA Second Round
2015?16 Mississippi State 28?8 11?5 T-2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2016?17 Mississippi State 34?5 13?3 2nd NCAA Runner-Up
2017?18 Mississippi State 19?0 5?0

CVS has done an amazing job. And he might get a natty here.
So what’s your point ?
Are we suppose to compare mens baseball with softball too?

tireddawg
01-21-2018, 07:34 PM
For some reason Fannings record didn't post. Historically speaking our women's program was much worse than our mens. Fanning built a pretty solid foundation and Vic took us to another level. Howland didn't have that foundation when he got here, since Ray tore it to shreds. He had to start from scratch & what he's had to deal with, I think he's done a pretty good job. And yes I do think you can compare the two. I guess I should have posted Ray's & Howland's record too. That's the reality you speak of.

Bdawg
01-21-2018, 08:24 PM
To me this is still year ?2? for Howland. He had a ton of seniors his first year and had to completely start over in year 2. Throw in a few transfers and it makes things even harder. So I feel like next year is really like a year 3. We do need to get these attitudes fixed and quit having these suspensions and become a team. 2nd half of Bama game gives me a glimmer of hope this year if we can put 2 halves together like that and Peters game keeps picking up.