PDA

View Full Version : New places in Starkville

SandlotDawg
01-21-2018, 10:58 AM
Anybody know what?s going on beside Hardee?s and where Denny?s use to be?

Maroonbulldog
01-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Burger King by Hardee’s. Buyers for Penns and abnerslocations to be announced soon. Car wash across by shipleys

SandlotDawg
01-21-2018, 11:05 AM
That’s unfortunate... I was hoping for something different. Thanks.

DogsofAnarchy
01-21-2018, 11:14 AM
Anybody know what?s going on beside Hardee?s and where Denny?s use to be?

Sonic where Denny’s use to be. But there are 4 or 5 new restaurants coming soon. New Mugshots is coming along nicely also.

dogshiek
01-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Slim Chickens coming in February. I'm not sure where in Vegas.

Homedawg
01-21-2018, 11:23 AM
Sonic where Denny’s use to be. But there are 4 or 5 new restaurants coming soon. New Mugshots is coming along nicely also.

No. It's a car wash where Denny's use to be.

starkvegasdawg
01-21-2018, 11:26 AM
No. It's a car wash where Denny's use to be.

You?re both right. It?s a car wash named Sonic.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2018, 11:34 AM
Slim Chickens coming in February. I'm not sure where in Vegas.

Slim chickens is solid. Another chicken place I know, but kids eat free on Sundays.

SandlotDawg
01-21-2018, 11:34 AM
Starkville needs a really good steakhouse in my opinion. I think that’s about the only thing we’re missing food wise that is.

SandlotDawg
01-21-2018, 11:38 AM

Real talk I’d pay big money to eat a burger while someone washed my car.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2018, 12:01 PM
Starkville needs a really good steakhouse in my opinion. I think that’s about the only thing we’re missing food wise that is.

Starkville needs a Taco Shop like are all over Texas. Needs a place like Torchys that sells $2.50 tacos, craft beer, and craft soft drinks.

That would serve the population of Starkville far better than a high end steakhouse would

Turfdawg67
01-21-2018, 12:37 PM

Is the Golden Horn not good anymore? Or is that not considered local?

Steakonastick
01-21-2018, 12:38 PM
Humble Taco’s is coming this spring on hwy182. It’s going on the corner of 182 and jackson st. The same group that owns restaurant Tyler, the guest room, city bagel, and bin 612 are doing it .

starkvegasdawg
01-21-2018, 12:38 PM

I ate there a couple times probably 5 years ago and wasn?t impressed. May have changed since then.

RocketDawg
01-21-2018, 12:43 PM
I ate there a couple times probably 5 years ago and wasn?t impressed. May have changed since then.

It was very good when I was in school. But back then, it was probably the most high-brow restaurant within 50 miles. Most students couldn't afford it though.

Dallas_Dawg
01-21-2018, 12:51 PM
Starkville needs a Taco Shop like are all over Texas. Needs a place like Torchys that sells $2.50 tacos, craft beer, and craft soft drinks.

That would serve the population of Starkville far better than a high end steakhouse would
This would work. Torchys is the shit

Mjoelner34
01-21-2018, 01:14 PM

I ate there a couple of times back around 2009 and it was great! I ate there twice around 2013 and the food quality was at best 75% of what it was before. The second and last time I ate there in 2013 the food wasn't good, took over an hour to receive and 2 of our 4 orders were wrong. Haven't been back since.

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Cappe’s and Veranda are your steakhouses and both are good. MSU needs a killer southern restaurant. Blue plates at lunch and a few more ambitious (culinarily speaking) southern rooted entrees at dinner. Have a bar with craft beer, southern inspired cocktail menu, solid wine list, and zero drink specials so it will be food focused and not a college bar crowd and more family friendly. I’d actually prefer the bar/lounge kind of private. Southern art decor with blues music. Nice clean casual but not fine dining. That’s off the top of my head.

RocketDawg
01-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Cappe’s and Veranda are your steakhouses and both are good. MSU needs a killer southern restaurant. Blue plates at lunch and a few more ambitious (culinarily speaking) southern rooted entrees at dinner. Have a bar with craft beer, southern inspired cocktail menu, solid wine list, and zero drink specials so it will be food focused and not a college bar crowd and more family friendly. I’d actually prefer the bar/lounge kind of private. Southern art decor with blues music. Nice clean casual but not fine dining. That’s off the top of my head.

I'm surprised they don't already have more than one of those in town.

There are several locally owned places that fit that description here and I really have trouble eating that sort of thing. It's not actually old-style home cooking, or what I think of it being anyway.

RougeDawg
01-21-2018, 01:50 PM
So did Abner?s go out of business? I stopped eating there many years ago after learning who owned them.

Bothrops
01-21-2018, 02:16 PM
So did Abner?s go out of business? I stopped eating there many years ago after learning who owned them.

They did in Starkville and pretty much everywhere else, except maybe Oxford.

DogsofAnarchy
01-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Starkville needs a really good steakhouse in my opinion. I think that?s about the only thing we?re missing food wise that is.

One of the new restaurants is CHAR....really good. They have one near the Campus at the University of Memphis and it is excellent.

Mjoelner34
01-21-2018, 02:34 PM
I may be in the minority but I'd like to see one of these:

https://pappadeaux.com/menu/

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Cappe?s and Veranda are your steakhouses and both are good. MSU needs a killer southern restaurant. Blue plates at lunch and a few more ambitious (culinarily speaking) southern rooted entrees at dinner. Have a bar with craft beer, southern inspired cocktail menu, solid wine list, and zero drink specials so it will be food focused and not a college bar crowd and more family friendly. I?d actually prefer the bar/lounge kind of private. Southern art decor with blues music. Nice clean casual but not fine dining. That?s off the top of my head.

That genre is overplayed in Mississippi IMO.

You already have Cappes, Veranda, Starkville Cafe, etc that all serve blue plates.

It's time for Mississippi towns to start branching out & seeing the bigger picture of what works in college towns in other parts of the country.

That why I said a taco bar like Torchys is very much needed. Or a place like Tokyo Joes japanese restuarant or Zoes Kitchen Mediterranean place.

Point is that for some reason Mississippi people only think in terms of blue plate, chicken tenders, or sandwiches & the genre is WAY over saturated.

DogsofAnarchy
01-21-2018, 02:39 PM

Old Hickory is he best in the business but it’s in Columbus. Buckley’s in Memphis is the best in that city.

Maroonbulldog
01-21-2018, 02:41 PM

Actually- he is close on Sonic. - the building where CJs pizza/golden scissors was between old Denny?s and Starbucks is rumored to be torn down soon and a more modern type Sonic will be built there as well. A lady cutting hair at GS a while back was talking about losing their lease bc of this being the plan according to the buildings owner.

DogsofAnarchy
01-21-2018, 02:53 PM

You already have Cappes, Veranda, Starkville Cafe, etc that all serve blue plates.

It's time for Mississippi towns to start branching out & seeing the bigger picture of what works in college towns in other parts of the country.

That why I said a taco bar like Torchys is very much needed. Or a place like Tokyo Joes japanese restuarant or Zoes Kitchen Mediterranean place.

Point is that for some reason Mississippi people only think in terms of blue plate, chicken tenders, or sandwiches & the genre is WAY over saturated.

You just TOTALLY stereo-typed 3 Million “Mississippians” which is just stupid. Oh by the way, Starkville has Mexican restuarants all over it including a couple of just Taco type places like Salsaritas, so spare my ass if some people like BLUE PLATE American food. Lord have mercy.

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 02:58 PM

Killer southern with more ambitious dinner is along the lines of Lou’s Full Serve, Manship House, Drago’s, Crechales’s, Ga Blue, etc.... You serve blue plates at lunch to make money and pay the bills. If you think southern cuisine is played out, you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. Name me a few top restaurants in Oxford & Hattiesburg (other college towns so we’re apples to apples) and tell me what they serve. Starkville has Tyler and Veranda is that realm. They both have their own distinct niche and flavor and there is room for another.

Another Japanese and Mediterranean to Starkville.... LMAO.

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 03:10 PM
You just TOTALLY stereo-typed 3 Million “Mississippians” which is just stupid. Oh by the way, Starkville has Mexican restuarants all over it including a couple of just Taco type places like Salsaritas, so spare my ass if some people like BLUE PLATE American food. Lord have mercy.

Exactly. Starkville needs more Mexican or Japanese like it needs a the no cold beer Law back. American Greek could work but a true Mediterranean restaurant in Starkville is asking for bankruptcy. You think Starkville is going to support chicken shawarma, falafel, and tabbouleh? Lmao

Best restaurants in Hatty? All RSJ’s joints. Southern cuisine. Best restaurants in Oxford? City Grocery and Ajax. Southern Cuisine. Best restaurants in Metro? Shapley’s, Lou’s, Manship House, Crechale’s, Walker’s, Local 463... Southern cuisine. You catch my drift?

[that list of restaurants is off the top of my head and not all inclusive]

SandlotDawg
01-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Personally, I’d like some more authentic type places similar to Starkville cafe. Especially breakfast. City bagel and Starkville Cafe are great places to eat breakfast buts it’s dang near impossible to eat there on a Saturday sometimes. If we had a couple more places like that, I’d be happy. I’d also like to tear down these dumpy hotels and other eyesores along Hwy 12. Am I alone in that line of thinking?

SandlotDawg
01-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Cappe?s and Veranda are your steakhouses and both are good. MSU needs a killer southern restaurant. Blue plates at lunch and a few more ambitious (culinarily speaking) southern rooted entrees at dinner. Have a bar with craft beer, southern inspired cocktail menu, solid wine list, and zero drink specials so it will be food focused and not a college bar crowd and more family friendly. I?d actually prefer the bar/lounge kind of private. Southern art decor with blues music. Nice clean casual but not fine dining. That?s off the top of my head.

That sounds like southern ale house in Tuscaloosa. If you?ve never had it, I highly recommend it. I would love a place like that in Starkville.

drummerdawg
01-21-2018, 03:56 PM
Starkville needs a good Italian place.

01-21-2018, 03:56 PM
If you want new restaurants, you should all be rooting for increased enrollment and more companies to come and locate at GTR Aeroplex.

RocketDawg
01-21-2018, 04:00 PM
Personally, I’d like some more authentic type places similar to Starkville cafe. Especially breakfast. City bagel and Starkville Cafe are great places to eat breakfast buts it’s dang near impossible to eat there on a Saturday sometimes. If we had a couple more places like that, I’d be happy. I’d also like to tear down these dumpy hotels and other eyesores along Hwy 12. Am I alone in that line of thinking?

You're certainly right about the dumpy hotels ... the whole city would be better off if they were demolished and replaced with new ones. I've stayed in a couple of them when a decent hotel in Starkville didn't exist.

You can't just build a Starkville Cafe overnight ... it's a tradition that takes a long time to develop. The atmosphere is just as good as the food and it can't really be duplicated. I've been to City Bagel once and thought it was OK. It was on a Sunday morning of a game weekend and it was crowded with students who got up pretty early. I like the coffee shop downtown ... 121 or something of the sort.

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 04:01 PM

You ever been to City Bagel at night? It’s authentic, legitimate Italian that stacks up with any Italian restaurant you can name in this state

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 04:02 PM
That sounds like southern ale house in Tuscaloosa. If you?ve never had it, I highly recommend it. I would love a place like that in Starkville.

Hell all I know about that place is the name and I like it. That’s a name that works in the south

RocketDawg
01-21-2018, 04:06 PM
You ever been to City Bagel at night? It’s authentic, legitimate Italian that stacks up with any Italian restaurant you can name in this state

You were asking Drummer, but I'll answer for myself ... no, never been to City Bagel at night, and had no idea it was Italian. I'll have to give it a try this fall. Probably need to be prepared to wait though.

There was a pretty upscale place downtown 2 or 3 years ago that was Italian, and I thought really good. Can't remember the name but I think it closed for some reason. The time I was there it was packed.

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 04:14 PM
You were asking Drummer, but I'll answer for myself ... no, never been to City Bagel at night, and had no idea it was Italian. I'll have to give it a try this fall. Probably need to be prepared to wait though.

There was a pretty upscale place downtown 2 or 3 years ago that was Italian, and I thought really good. Can't remember the name but I think it closed for some reason. The time I was there it was packed.

They do Italian pasta and Pizza at night wed-sat and it’s incredible. Everything homeade down to the pizza crust and pasta. Old Venice was average at best Italian. If you liked there, you’ll love City Bagel. Oh ya, it’s bring your own bottle so bring some vino with you.

And I saw your earlier comment about breakfast. That place is overwhelming on a gameday, a zoo sometimes. But the wait is worth it. Get a red pepper Parmesan Bagel with double egg, sausage, and pimento cheese. Get a piece of coffee cake too and split it with your lady. Large latte with an extra shot (ya they make those too). You’re welcome.

SandlotDawg
01-21-2018, 04:25 PM
You're certainly right about the dumpy hotels ... the whole city would be better off if they were demolished and replaced with new ones. I've stayed in a couple of them when a decent hotel in Starkville didn't exist.

You can't just build a Starkville Cafe overnight ... it's a tradition that takes a long time to develop. The atmosphere is just as good as the food and it can't really be duplicated. I've been to City Bagel once and thought it was OK. It was on a Sunday morning of a game weekend and it was crowded with students who got up pretty early. I like the coffee shop downtown ... 121 or something of the sort.

Yeah it’s 929! Great atmosphere and I may get some flack for this, but it’s better than strange brew

drummerdawg
01-21-2018, 04:56 PM
You ever been to City Bagel at night? It?s authentic, legitimate Italian that stacks up with any Italian restaurant you can name in this state

Yea so that's not an Italian place, it's a bagel place that does Italian a few times a week at night.

GreenheadDawg
01-21-2018, 05:00 PM
This would work. Torchys is the shit

The trailer trash extra trashy is where it?s at man.

Cloak
01-21-2018, 05:08 PM
The trailer trash extra trashy is where it?s at man.

YES. That's my favorite thing on the menu.

raymond21
01-21-2018, 05:16 PM

New one being built by The Mill

drummerdawg
01-21-2018, 05:29 PM
New one being built by The Mill

Wonderful. Know what it is?

Mjoelner34
01-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Wonderful. Know what it is?

I think its going to be a Gondolier Pizza.
https://gondolierpizza.com/

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 05:47 PM
Yea so that's not an Italian place, it's a bagel place that does Italian a few times a week at night.

You realize the original owner was a classical trained chef and they have a new classicly trained chef running the show? Those 2 guys are more than qualified to cook ?real? Italian food. They make their dough and pasta from scratch. That?s real Italian food dude. Go look at their Instagram and see what they?re whipping up. It?s high level stuff. If you want to dump on the place that?s fine but you couldn?t be more wrong.

BeardoMSU
01-21-2018, 05:48 PM
You realize the original owner was a classical trained chef and they have a new classicly trained chef running the show? Those 2 guys are more than qualified to cook ?real? Italian food. They make their dough and pasta from scratch. That?s real Italian food dude. Go look at their Instagram and see what they?re whipping up. It?s high level stuff. If you want to dump on the place that?s fine but you couldn?t be more wrong.

This.

BulldogDX55
01-21-2018, 05:59 PM

And you can bring your own wine.

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 06:00 PM
https://s26.postimg.org/6zovle7cp/0_F67_D7_C9-_E676-4_F9_A-_A2_BD-75_C035_A0_C6_AA.png

https://s26.postimg.org/q4s4v6oll/DA9_BE4_A0-4_DC5-4579-8_CD4-_C8_A0709694_A6.png

https://s26.postimg.org/ajatb9f89/4_D6_A35_A5-49_AE-48_B8-_BD18-_B07_C6_A24_EE17.png

https://s26.postimg.org/6mxhfbc95/766_EE0_E1-_FF67-4874-9_F5_D-03_F92_D294969.png

These are just some specials they’ve had before

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 06:10 PM
The original owner, Joe Tkach (and Mary), brought real New York style bagels (which requires boiling) to Starkville. He brought homeade pizza to Starkville. He brought real authentic Italian food to Starkville. He had the fight the City to get beer sold and when he got it, he filled a cooler of only craft beer (minus coors light b/c Joe likes coors light) 15 years before craft beer was cool. All those things were firsts for Starkville. His brother Paul worked everyday as the baker and prep cook starting at 5am. His wife Mary worked 7 days a week doing literally everything. I know Ty and Jay get all the culinary love in Starkville but the Tkach’s brought a ton of new stuff before there was anything. If there is a Mount Rushmore of the Starkville food/culinary scene, the Tkach’s belong on it.

RougeDawg
01-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Hey for you steak lovers in the GTR, y?all need to go check out Yamato Steakhouse in West Point. Place looks like the shit. Passed it earlier on my way home from Hunting. I?m Only halfway joking. It could be a good place.

Slight hijack. Assuming everyone rides around without radio on or has Sirius in the GTR It?s either too pop hits, new BA pop country or the new techno/auto tune/mumbling like you have a mouth full of grapes rap. Maybe this explains why Bounds still has a job. 0.0000 competition in large swaths of the state.

drummerdawg
01-21-2018, 08:36 PM

Then he should open up an Italian restaurant and not a bagel shop. And who is dumping on his place? I'm sure he makes some fine food, but I'd still like an actual Italian restaurant.

BeardoMSU
01-21-2018, 08:38 PM
https://s26.postimg.org/6zovle7cp/0_F67_D7_C9-_E676-4_F9_A-_A2_BD-75_C035_A0_C6_AA.png

https://s26.postimg.org/q4s4v6oll/DA9_BE4_A0-4_DC5-4579-8_CD4-_C8_A0709694_A6.png

https://s26.postimg.org/ajatb9f89/4_D6_A35_A5-49_AE-48_B8-_BD18-_B07_C6_A24_EE17.png

https://s26.postimg.org/6mxhfbc95/766_EE0_E1-_FF67-4874-9_F5_D-03_F92_D294969.png

These are just some specials they’ve had before

Yep. CB is legit.

Their pancetta, mushroom, and pea carbonara [with homemade pappardelle] is something to behold. I'm almost 100% positive it's the only place in Starkville that has fresh made pasta (the only other place would be Restaurant Tyler, if I had to guess...).

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2018, 08:39 PM
You just TOTALLY stereo-typed 3 Million ?Mississippians? which is just stupid. Oh by the way, Starkville has Mexican restuarants all over it including a couple of just Taco type places like Salsaritas, so spare my ass if some people like BLUE PLATE American food. Lord have mercy.

Lumping a place like Torchy's in with Mexican restaurants is inaccurate.

Completely different vibe, food, & purpose

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Killer southern with more ambitious dinner is along the lines of Lou?s Full Serve, Manship House, Drago?s, Crechales?s, Ga Blue, etc.... You serve blue plates at lunch to make money and pay the bills. If you think southern cuisine is played out, you have absolutely no idea what you?re talking about. Name me a few top restaurants in Oxford & Hattiesburg (other college towns so we?re apples to apples) and tell me what they serve. Starkville has Tyler and Veranda is that realm. They both have their own distinct niche and flavor and there is room for another.

First, off it's clear you don't know the places the I recommended.

Secondly, I love blue plates as much as anyone, but I believe Mississippians appear stuck in a box when it comes this.

It's overplayed IMO unless you did something super unique.

You only mentioned college towns in Mississippi. How about Austin, TX, Fayetteville, Norman, Stillwater, College Station, Fort Worth, Boulder, etc?

You only mentioned towns in Mississippi & I'm telling you what works in damn near the entire middle of the country.

Dawgbite
01-21-2018, 08:45 PM
The people who own Harvey's and the grill opened a southern style food restaurant in Tupelo called South and it didn't make it. Had it made it I expected one like it in Starkville. Anthonys Market in West Point has the best steak in the golden triangle and it's not even close.

PassInterference
01-21-2018, 09:10 PM

Damn there are a lot of restaurants in Starkville.

SmokeyDawg
01-21-2018, 09:13 PM
The food scene in Starkville is growing. For steak and upscale southern food you have Tyler, Veranda, Commodore Bobs. If Char is coming that would be a great addition. There?s also a butcher shop in the works with some very capable guys. It would be nice to see them attach a restaurant. For tacos Two brothers has some unique tacos and they are looking to expand. Humble tacos will be another great addition with fresh, from scratch, tacos and Latin American food with a southern twist. There is one Italian restaurant coming and another in the works. The one in the works would be opened by a classically trained chef that actually studied in Italy. Thames and his group buying city bagel was a great move to keep that staple going. Other restaurants are looking to expand and other concepts looking for locations. Plenty of burger, Mexican and bbq to go around

Eta I haven?t eaten there in a while but I thought more people were big on Stromboli?s as well.

starkvegasdawg
01-21-2018, 09:24 PM
Hey for you steak lovers in the GTR, y?all need to go check out Yamato Steakhouse in West Point. Place looks like the shit. Passed it earlier on my way home from Hunting. I?m Only halfway joking. It could be a good place.

Slight hijack. Assuming everyone rides around without radio on or has Sirius in the GTR It?s either too pop hits, new BA pop country or the new techno/auto tune/mumbling like you have a mouth full of grapes rap. Maybe this explains why Bounds still has a job. 0.0000 competition in large swaths of the state.

I?ve eaten at the one in Greenwood. It?s ok. Poor man?s Umi?s.

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 09:41 PM
First, off it's clear you don't know the places the I recommended.

Secondly, I love blue plates as much as anyone, but I believe Mississippians appear stuck in a box when it comes this.

It's overplayed IMO unless you did something super unique.

You only mentioned college towns in Mississippi. How about Austin, TX, Fayetteville, Norman, Stillwater, College Station, Fort Worth, Boulder, etc?

You only mentioned towns in Mississippi & I'm telling you what works in damn near the entire middle of the country.

Dude, I’ve worked in the food business for 19 years and will for another 30+ lord willing. If you think what works in Austin or Boulder is guaranteed in Starkville, I don’t know what to tell you. When ESPN goes to Oxford, Starkville, or Hattiesburg where do they send the crew to go eat and shout out on air? Hint: it ain’t the Lebanese/Greek place. It ain’t the Tai Fusion Place. It ain’t the Pho joint. And I totally dig all those kinds of food. What’s going to make Starkville food thrive is talented restaurant concept guys & talented operators serve badass authentic to the area food. Not weirdo niche stuff (and I’m in to all kinds of weirdo niche stuff). There are already some doing that and more and more are jumping in.

Jarius
01-21-2018, 09:43 PM
Then he should open up an Italian restaurant and not a bagel shop. And who is dumping on his place? I'm sure he makes some fine food, but I'd still like an actual Italian restaurant.

Lol no kidding. It?s a ****ing bagel place that serves Italian sometimes. It?s not an Italian restaurant. It may be awesome. That?s not the point.

Behrdawg
01-21-2018, 09:55 PM
They should just reopen the burrito joint in coconuts gas station. That place made a damn gutbuster of a burrito back in the day.

Behrdawg
01-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Another Broken Egg would be perfect for breakfast.

IMissJack
01-21-2018, 10:03 PM
Starkville needs a Cracker Barrel (Serves down home food that the locals love), A Pappasito's or Chuy's Mexican Restaurant, and/or a Cajun/Seafood place. I will say this, the morning after an evening football game it is difficult to find breakfast in Starkville.

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 10:04 PM
Lol no kidding. It?s a ****ing bagel place that serves Italian sometimes. It?s not an Italian restaurant. It may be awesome. That?s not the point.

I don’t even understand what argument y’all are trying to make. It’s literally called City Bagel Cafe & Italian Bistro. A Bistro is a small restaurant. Are y’all saying you enjoyed average to below average Italian at Old Venice because it was a bigger place that was decorated better? The best Cuban food I’ve ever had was on the corner of Duval in Key West from a stand connected to a corner Grocery. Is that experience discounted because it wasn’t a real Cuban restaurant? Ever eaten at the original Doe’s? How about Gibbes Grocery in Learnid?

starkvegasdawg
01-21-2018, 10:05 PM
I?ll probably get laughed at, but I miss Barnhills...especially their breakfast buffet.

drummerdawg
01-21-2018, 10:14 PM
I don’t even understand what argument y’all are trying to make. It’s literally called City Bagel Cafe & Italian Bistro. A Bistro is a small restaurant. Are y’all saying you enjoyed average to below average Italian at Old Venice because it was a bigger place that was decorated better? The best Cuban food I’ve ever had was on the corner of Duval in Key West from a stand connected to a corner Grocery. Is that experience discounted because it wasn’t a real Cuban restaurant? Ever eaten at the original Doe’s? How about Gibbes Grocery in Learnid?

I'm saying I'd like a restaurant because it's what they do and it's available every time the doors are open instead of a sometimes thing. Most people don't even know City Bagel does Italian anyway. I don't see how it's so difficult to see the difference between a bagel place that does some Italian sometimes and an actual Italian restaurant...

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2018, 10:20 PM
I?ll probably get laughed at, but I miss Barnhills...especially their breakfast buffet.

Haha. Fat boy joke

https://i.imgur.com/SxvP1c0.gif

Todd4State
01-21-2018, 11:05 PM
Starkville needs a Cracker Barrel (Serves down home food that the locals love), A Pappasito's or Chuy's Mexican Restaurant, and/or a Cajun/Seafood place. I will say this, the morning after an evening football game it is difficult to find breakfast in Starkville.

This post is so Mississippi State message board circa 1999.

Although it could come in handy if we continue to play the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving.**

Todd4State
01-21-2018, 11:08 PM
Killer southern with more ambitious dinner is along the lines of Lou?s Full Serve, Manship House, Drago?s, Crechales?s, Ga Blue, etc.... You serve blue plates at lunch to make money and pay the bills. If you think southern cuisine is played out, you have absolutely no idea what you?re talking about. Name me a few top restaurants in Oxford & Hattiesburg (other college towns so we?re apples to apples) and tell me what they serve. Starkville has Tyler and Veranda is that realm. They both have their own distinct niche and flavor and there is room for another.

I agree with this.

RougeDawg
01-21-2018, 11:15 PM
They should just reopen the burrito joint in coconuts gas station. That place made a damn gutbuster of a burrito back in the day.

Hell yea. Lived directly across the street for two years and ate 5 tines my fair share of those monsters. Would get a fountain drink to wash it down.

Turfdawg67
01-21-2018, 11:28 PM
I travel a bit and I've recently discovered Taziki's Mediterranean Cafe in B'ham and Chattanooga. It's prob been around for a while, but they have great gyros and killer Salmon. That'd go over in S'Vegas.

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 11:43 PM
I'm saying I'd like a restaurant because it's what they do and it's available every time the doors are open instead of a sometimes thing. Most people don't even know City Bagel does Italian anyway. I don't see how it's so difficult to see the difference between a bagel place that does some Italian sometimes and an actual Italian restaurant...

http://thecitybagel.com

Every single night they are open they are an Italian Bistro, not sometimes. The name of the damn place is City Bagel Cafe & Italian Bistro. The home page of their FB literally spells it out and the menu they show is Italian. Haha I feel like I’m in the twilight zone. What else do they have to do? A Chianti fountain and throw tomatoes & buffalo mozzarella at people walking down University?

https://s26.postimg.org/wrnzfqift/594_DABD9-0_DDF-463_C-99_A9-_D991165_DE98_C.png

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
01-22-2018, 12:33 AM
http://thecitybagel.com

Every single night they are open they are an Italian Bistro, not sometimes. The name of the damn place is City Bagel Cafe & Italian Bistro. The home page of their FB literally spells it out and the menu they show is Italian. Haha I feel like I’m in the twilight zone. What else do they have to do? A Chianti fountain and throw tomatoes & buffalo mozzarella at people walking down University?

https://s26.postimg.org/wrnzfqift/594_DABD9-0_DDF-463_C-99_A9-_D991165_DE98_C.png

Chianti fountain and thrown buffalo mozzarella - that's Hilarious!

I'm picturing the scene from one of those dating shows where the girl from small town USA asked the guy, who's last name was something like Rockefeller/Vanderbilt, a culinary question. The girl says she LOVES Italian and The Olive Garden is her favorite. She then asks her date, who says he also likes Italian, "Have you ever eaten at The Olive Garden? Isn't it the Best Italian you've ever had?

mstatefan91
01-22-2018, 01:13 AM
Nothing makes southern people fight more than food. Maybe football but definitely food.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-22-2018, 06:45 AM
Who is going to eat at these Resturants May 15 Through September 1st and December through February 13th?

Matty Dispatch
01-22-2018, 07:40 AM
It's amazing that people would complain that the authentic Italian place in Starkville isn't Italian enough for them. It's Starkville for crying out loud - not Nashville or Atlanta or even Jackson. It's actually pretty cool that a town as small as Starkville has authentic Italian food from classically trained chefs, and the fact that it comes from a Bagel cafe gives it and the town a bit more character and charm.

BrunswickDawg
01-22-2018, 08:47 AM

If they don't have red and white checkered table cloths made out of that plasticy/vinyl, it ain't f*** I-talian!!!

RougeDawg
01-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Who is going to eat at these Resturants May 15 Through September 1st and December through February 13th?

This is the only reason for Starkville?s lack of growth.

Maybe Starkville?s chamber of commerce should learn from another community and start paying magazines and newspapers to start naming it a top destination and one of the pretties cities/campuses in the galaxy. It?s brainwashed a certain gullible group into believing it. So this may work on a portion of our fab base.

Offshore Dawg
01-22-2018, 09:52 AM
It's amazing that people would complain that the authentic Italian place in Starkville isn't Italian enough for them. It's Starkville for crying out loud - not Nashville or Atlanta or even Jackson. It's actually pretty cool that a town as small as Starkville has authentic Italian food from classically trained chefs, and the fact that it comes from a Bagel cafe gives it and the town a bit more character and charm.

Back in the day I ate at Sarges, could not afford much else today is different

Dawg61
01-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Starkville needs a great sushi and hibachi style restaurant imo that serves sake and asian beers.

BrunswickDawg
01-22-2018, 10:18 AM
Starkville needs a great sushi and hibachi style restaurant imo that serves sake and asian beers.

Isn't that already there with Umi? I thought it was very good on my couple of meals there.

BeardoMSU
01-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Isn't that already there with Umi? I thought it was very good on my couple of meals there.

I preferred Umi when it was just the hole in the wall joint on Stark Rd.

Now it's just like every other Hibachi place you see in every other town.

DawgFromOxford
01-22-2018, 11:50 AM
What we need is a Glory Bound like the one in Hattiesburg. American greek restaurant owned by the same people who own Mugshots.

MStateDawg
01-22-2018, 12:25 PM
They should just reopen the burrito joint in coconuts gas station.

It is open: https://twitter.com/BiteMyBurrito (https://twitter.com/BiteMyBurrito)

BrunswickDawg
01-22-2018, 12:52 PM
I preferred Umi when it was just the hole in the wall joint on Stark Rd.

Now it's just like every other Hibachi place you see in every other town.
Isn?t that true for every hole in the wall place that goes ?big time?. Part of their apeal is the status as a boarder line dive.

DogsofAnarchy
01-22-2018, 01:17 PM
If you want new restaurants, you should all be rooting for increased enrollment and more companies to come and locate at GTR Aeroplex.

I can help with that and I am about to retire from education. Should I call you for the job?

DogsofAnarchy
01-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Another Broken Egg would be perfect for breakfast.

That is some good in Memphis !!

Lord McBuckethead
01-22-2018, 01:33 PM

gtr does not even have a sports station anymore. I mean WTH.

Roy Munson
01-22-2018, 03:23 PM
The fat kid surprise

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
01-22-2018, 09:45 PM
What we need is a Glory Bound like the one in Hattiesburg. American greek restaurant owned by the same people who own Mugshots.

Na, TD67 had it right. If a greek place opens in Starkville it should be Taziki's. Been eating at the original for 20 years now and it's the most consistent restaurant I've ever patroned.

Turfdawg67
01-22-2018, 09:54 PM
Na, TD67 had it right. If a greek place opens in Starkville it should be Taziki's. Been eating at the original for 20 years now and it's the most consistent restaurant I've ever patroned.

20 years?!? I just discovered it like 2 yrs ago! LOLZ!!!

whosyourdawgy
01-23-2018, 12:28 AM
I mean is there even a Waffle House in Starkville? I mean how is that possible

mstatefan91
01-23-2018, 02:25 AM
I mean is there even a Waffle House in Starkville? I mean how is that possible

Yes there is. You should come here some.. seeing as you are a fan and all ;)

Maroon Wizardry
01-23-2018, 07:17 PM
If you don't think mediterranean would work you clearly have never spent time at The Darkhorse Tavern people eat the F out of the Gyro because it is delicious. A taco shop or even a taco truck would work. Taco places are not the same as the "mexican" restaurants. I think a quick serve burrito place kinda like Swanky's in Memphis or Moe's if done right could make some bank. At some point things will start competing. The best blue plate in town is Kroger because it is cheap and tastes just as good as anyplace else. The only people that want to spend 12 bucks a meal on blue plate restaurants or live in oxford and think Ajax is the best thing ever. no its not go buy some stuff from the grocery store put it in a pot with bacon grease a dash of salt and pepper and you have food better than Ajax and 99% of all shitty blueplates in the country. Maybe i'm spoiled though and grew up gardening and still do