PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones should start at DE to try and put pressure on Mett...who agrees?

cheewgumm
10-02-2013, 11:10 AM
I think any tackle in the league, one on one, is going to have trouble with him.

Coach34
10-02-2013, 11:12 AM
uhhhhhhhh no

We are playing well at DE right now- and Jones is providing some much needed quality play at DT.

HancockCountyDog
10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
uhhhhhhhh no

We are playing well at DE right now- and Jones is providing some much needed quality play at DT.

Totally agree;

Jones' added weight has affected his speed, but it has improved his strength and his play at DT has been tremendous. He has made Eulls and Jones look inadequate.

Watching Jones at DT reminds me of what a quality DT looks like. Ive gotten use to fairly useless DT's. I really wish Quay would get his head screwed on straight because Jones and Eulls are simply not impact players.

FISHDAWG
10-02-2013, 11:25 AM
so should we play mostly zone or man coverage against this team ?

HancockCountyDog
10-02-2013, 11:28 AM
so should we play mostly zone or man coverage against this team ?

It comes down to being able to stop the run without our safeties being in the box. We can't cover their WR's one on one, no one in college football can. We have to give help. We need Autry, Smith, and our LB's to have big games.

We need McKinney to start playing like Wells.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2013, 11:37 AM
People need to remember that LSU is a tremendous play action pass team. We can't just pin our ears back on first and second down and try to sack Met. If we do that, they will run all over us. The key is stopping the run and forcing them into 3rd and longs. Then we can go after the QB.

War Machine Dawg
10-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Absolutely not. What QBs hate more than anything else is quick pressure up the middle. Jones brings that in spades. He'll effect the game as much or more at DT than he will at DE.

And as C34 and others pointed out, our DEs are playing well. Why the hell would we take Smith off the field?

msstate7
10-02-2013, 11:56 AM
I really like Autry in this game. He doesn't have to worry about zone read. I think he's gonna put some heat on ZM

smootness
10-02-2013, 12:02 PM
I really like Autry in this game. He doesn't have to worry about zone read. I think he's gonna put some heat on ZM

This is the kind of game that could make him a lot of money. Everyone loves his talent and potential, but he needs to make that materialize in a meaningful way against a good team. If he can do that, in even just one or two games, NFL teams will assume they can get him to where he needs to be.

ckDOG
10-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Is the long-term plan for Jones still at DE? I get why he's playing DT now and I like it. Do he and the staff feel he will be on the edge at some point?

Jack Lambert
10-02-2013, 12:36 PM
We will run a 3/4 four against Ole Miss and he will get his chance but against LSU we will run a 4/3 and his sizes and speed will keep LSU from being able to double team the ends. That was much of our problem last year they could double team our ends. Our DT just wasn't that good last year. It could have been schems but there is a lot better play at the DT this year.

Dawg61
10-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Is the long-term plan for Jones still at DE? I get why he's playing DT now and I like it. Do he and the staff feel he will be on the edge at some point?

I would think the plan is to move him around between all 4 spots on the DL throughout the game. What a BOSS HOG!! Can we get 3 more just like him please.

PMDawg
10-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Totally agree;

Jones' added weight has affected his speed, but it has improved his strength and his play at DT has been tremendous. He has made Eulls and Jones look inadequate.

Watching Jones at DT reminds me of what a quality DT looks like. Ive gotten use to fairly useless DT's. I really wish Quay would get his head screwed on straight because Jones and Eulls are simply not impact players.

Whoa whoa whoa!!!! I got lambasted for saying he was slowed by the added weight and would play DT (and be a good one). Let's stop the insanity!!! I admit though, he's much better at DT than I would've imagined at this point. He's a beast.

smootness
10-02-2013, 12:56 PM
He is obviously a beast at DT, and that is obviously where he fits best right now, both due to needing DTs more and because he weighs 305 currently.

That said, I still thing long-term, it will be better for us if he focuses primarily on playing DE. I just think we'll have an easier time finding DTs than true pass-rushers off the edge who can really consistently pressure the QB.

If he loses 25-30 pounds or so in the offseason, he should be lethal at DE.

Dawg61
10-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Might be easier to just gain 5-10 lbs of muscle and become a true FREAK at DT. Something tells me CJ body is not going to cooperate with slimming down to DE size. The dude is HUGE and that ain't changing. I'm liking him more and more each day at DT. Let him EAT!

smootness
10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Might be easier to just gain 5-10 lbs of muscle and become a true FREAK at DT. Something tells me CJ body is not going to cooperate with slimming down to DE size. The dude is HUGE and that ain't changing. I'm liking him more and more each day at DT. Let him EAT!

Either one is fine with me. He'll be a true difference-maker either way.

dawgs
10-02-2013, 01:51 PM
We will run a 3/4 four against Ole Miss and he will get his chance but against LSU we will run a 4/3 and his sizes and speed will keep LSU from being able to double team the ends. That was much of our problem last year they could double team our ends. Our DT just wasn't that good last year. It could have been schems but there is a lot better play at the DT this year.

3-4 DEs don't really provide an edge rush like the do in a 4-3, so him getting a chance to play DE against ole miss (assuming we run a 3-4) still won't be the same as giving him a shot at DE in a 4-3.

Jack Lambert
10-02-2013, 01:58 PM
3-4 DEs don't really provide an edge rush like the do in a 4-3, so him getting a chance to play DE against ole miss (assuming we run a 3-4) still won't be the same as giving him a shot at DE in a 4-3.

some one like Chris at DE in a 3/4 is like having a extra out side line backer.

Coach 57
10-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Do WHAT? Oh my goodness! There is nothing wrong with our DE play at this point in the year? Why on earth would you do this?

cheewgumm
10-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Relax dude... Deep breaths. I'm not the coach.

. I do think its
Funny because I
Mentioned this before
The season started... That he's get moved to DT and everyone said no way.

I do hate that our inability to recruit decent DTs has led to this.

Do WHAT? Oh my goodness! There is nothing wrong with our DE play at this point in the year? Why on earth would you do this?

601Dawg
10-02-2013, 02:32 PM
I agree on Chris Jones at DE

Our current DE's can't get ANY pressure on the QBs I think Smith has 1 sack and Autrey has ZERO

Gotta have more from our pass rushers.

Coach34
10-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Our current DE's can't get ANY pressure on the QBs I think Smith has 1 sack and Autrey has ZERO

you dont have to have a sack to get pressure

Pernell McPhee had 2 sacks in 2010- count them- TWO- and nobody said shit about him not being effective at DE

FlabLoser
10-02-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm good with whatever Collins wants. Collins is doing a bang up job.

601Dawg
10-02-2013, 02:40 PM
you dont have to have a sack to get pressure

Pernell McPhee had 2 sacks in 2010- count them- TWO- and nobody said shit about him not being effective at DE

Good point Coach, but with pressure you eventually have to have some sacks from somebody hopefully that means DTs like PJ Jones (is he ready to go yet) or Eulls (lord knows he could use a sack)

Arkansas has 2 players who have more sacks than our entire team.

Is it too much to ask our Defense to get ot the QB.

Coach34
10-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Good point Coach, but with pressure you eventually have to have some sacks from somebody hopefully that means DTs like PJ Jones (is he ready to go yet) or Eulls (lord knows he could use a sack)

Would you trade our defense for UPig's????

Our defense has to keep people from scoring- that's the bottom line. We all want sacks, and INT's, and all that shit- but if we are disrupting Mett and making him throw before he wants to- thats what we have to do.

War Machine Dawg
10-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Would you trade our defense for UPig's????

Our defense has to keep people from scoring- that's the bottom line. We all want sacks, and INT's, and all that shit- but if we are disrupting Mett and making him throw before he wants to- thats what we have to do.

We have one of the top 3-4 Ds in the SEC. I sure as hell wouldn't trade our D for Arkansas' D. It's a new day in college football when it comes to evaluating defense. You have to look at scoring D, QB pressure (not sacks), and a few other key stats. The fact of the matter is with the glut of mobile QBs in college now, sacks are becoming harder to get. And you can essentially shut down an opposing offense and still easily give up 350-400 yards of total offense. But we've absolutely shut down 2 of the most prolific offenses in college football over the course of the last few seasons in OK State and Troy. And Auburn isn't a slouch on offense under Malzahn, either.

LSU is probably one of the 3 best offensive teams in the SEC this season, so look for them to move the ball. But at the end of the day, I think our front 7 can stop their run game well enough to keep them under 28 points. IF we do that, and Dak plays at QB, we'll have a very good chance to pull off the upset.

Coach 57
10-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Good gracious! Who has Arky played besides aTm? Southern? Rutgers tried to give them the game and Arky STILL didn't want it! Our defense will prove itself over the course of the year.

And chew, I ain't fired up enough to need breathing tips. But in all honesty Chris is going to fantastic WHEREVER we put him. But he needs to play DE in small doses. I am sure Renfroe can pitch (as he has a huge arm) but not against elite level talent he doesn't. He needs to be placed where he effects them the most. Same as Chris, he needs to be inside. The hardest thing for the OGs to block right now is his athletisim.

cheewgumm
10-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Aight, no offense.

I agree he is going to be effecrtive wherever. I WISH that we had other good DTs so he could play DE. I guess I'll have to chalk it up to my personal preference, as I don't think any tackles can block him effectively one on one.

Good gracious! Who has Arky played besides aTm? Southern? Rutgers tried to give them the game and Arky STILL didn't want it! Our defense will prove itself over the course of the year.

And chew, I ain't fired up enough to need breathing tips. But in all honesty Chris is going to fantastic WHEREVER we put him. But he needs to play DE in small doses. I am sure Renfroe can pitch (as he has a huge arm) but not against elite level talent he doesn't. He needs to be placed where he effects them the most. Same as Chris, he needs to be inside. The hardest thing for the OGs to block right now is his athletisim.

Coach34
10-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Aight, no offense.

I agree he is going to be effecrtive wherever. I WISH that we had other good DTs so he could play DE. I guess I'll have to chalk it up to my personal preference, as I don't think any tackles can block him effectively one on one.

But that's the thing- if Jones was better than Autry or Smith- we'd have him there. He's playing DT because he cant beat out our DE's but he can be one of our top DT's right now

engie
10-02-2013, 06:56 PM

The teams/coaches we've played thusfar never, ever, EVER give up sacks. If you look back over time, they are all 3 in the top 10 or 12 in sacks allowed over their entire careers because the offenses get the ball out of the QB's hands so fast.

Our DE's are raising hell right now. Don't get it twisted just because it isn't manifesting itself in sacks yet.

The coaches we've played thusfar finished #13, 18, 18 in sacks allowed last year.

cheewgumm
10-02-2013, 06:58 PM
I thought it was because our DTs suck wihtout him. So, you are saying that if we had better DTs, he would not be playing ahead of Smith or Autry? I would disagree with that...not that I "know", but I bet he would beat out Smith and Autry.

But that's the thing- if Jones was better than Autry or Smith- we'd have him there. He's playing DT because he cant beat out our DE's but he can be one of our top DT's right now

engie
10-02-2013, 06:59 PM

Arkansas has played several traditional offenses as well. They touched Johnny football ONCE -- in what was a VERY questionable sack call where they got him from the blindside on the very edge of the pocket after 5 seconds of scrambling.

Arkansas has 2 good DE's. No one disputes that. But I wouldn't trade our defense for theirs in any shape, fashion, or form.