PDA

View Full Version : The #1 reason why it's taking longer than we want in basketball...

Dawg61
01-20-2018, 11:12 PM
is 5* Malik Newman, 4* Mario Kegler and 4* Schnider Herard all ditching on Howland. All three of those guys should either be starting or contributing major minutes if they were the players we thought we signed. They are three major misses and it's killing us. He hasn't had enough time to replace them with equal or better talent. Howland's signing classes aren't nearly as impressive after losing those three guys. We need Howland to step it up in recruiting to make up for those losses. He does have a nice class coming in but he needs to get some transfers/euros that can play next year and he needs to trim the fat on a couple guys potentially.

Bdawg
01-20-2018, 11:14 PM
X bout to trim himself if he don?t quit what ever stupid shitake he?s doing

HoopsDawg
01-20-2018, 11:14 PM
is 5* Malik Newman, 4* Mario Kegler and 4* Schnider Herard all ditching on Howland. All three of those guys should either be starting or contributing major minutes if they were the players we thought we signed. They are three major misses and it's killing us. He hasn't had enough time to replace them with equal or better talent. Howland's signing classes aren't nearly as impressive after losing those three guys. We need Howland to step it up in recruiting to make up for those losses. He does have a nice class coming in but he needs to get some transfers/euros that can play next year and he needs to trim the fat on a couple guys potentially.

step it up? LOL. He signed a McDonald's All-American and the 2 best players in the state. Probably going to add another Ado type player as well.

Agree on the transfers as this has been stated many times by me and Ari and others so it's not exactly an original thought.

Dawg61
01-20-2018, 11:18 PM
step it up? LOL. He signed a McDonald's All-American and the 2 best players in the state. Probably going to add another Ado type player as well.

Agree on the transfers as this has been stated many times by me and Ari and others so it's not exactly an original thought.

I'll give you Perry is the replacement for Kegler but the other two aren't replacements for the losses of Newman and Herard. Those two spots haven't been filled/replaced yet. Nick Spoon was always coming here so he's not a replacement for Newman either.

Coach007
01-20-2018, 11:19 PM

Interesting. IS this where people ready for Howland to go say "It's his fault" .

I think I have heard that argument before..... a lot in fact.

Dawg61
01-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Interesting. IS this where people ready for Howland to go say "It's his fault" .

I think I have heard that argument before..... a lot in fact.

I'm not saying it's Howland's fault they transferred but I am saying if this was football we basically lost our starting QB, WR and RB and haven't replaced them yet and are wondering why we suck.

Liverpooldawg
01-20-2018, 11:26 PM
No better argument exists for NOT star watching when it comes to recruiting.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-20-2018, 11:30 PM

Herard didn?t ditch on Howland. We saw the writing on the wall

Leeshouldveflanked
01-20-2018, 11:34 PM
Brooks not making it to Starkville didn't help matters either....

msstate7
01-20-2018, 11:36 PM
Speaking of turnover, is it time for howland to shuffle this staff some?

Dawg61
01-20-2018, 11:37 PM
No better argument exists for NOT star watching when it comes to recruiting.

You can't have misses on center piece guys in basketball. It killed Stansbury too. He missed on some 35+ guys after winning the SEC. It kills your program. Howland has three gigantic misses right now. Newman, Kegler and Herard.

Dawg61
01-20-2018, 11:40 PM
Herard didn?t ditch on Howland. We saw the writing on the wall

However you want to label it he is still a gigantic miss by Howland and it hurts us bad. Not only do you totally miss out on any production you were counting on but you also didn't add any of the other guys in the class you could/would have signed had Herard never came here. Same for Newman same for Kegler. You can not miss on guys you expect to be starters or major contributors especially if you aren't Kentucky/Duke and already have a system in place to bring up the next stud.

Ari Gold
01-20-2018, 11:41 PM
Speaking of turnover, is it time for howland to shuffle this staff some?

One of your better posts..

Liverpooldawg
01-20-2018, 11:46 PM
You can't have misses on center piece guys in basketball. It killed Stansbury too. He missed on some 35+ guys after winning the SEC. It kills your program. Howland has three gigantic misses right now. Newman, Kegler and Herard.
Yep, star watching gets you nowhere. It did in Stans. It's getting really close to doing in Ben.

maroonmania
01-20-2018, 11:51 PM
I'll give you Perry is the replacement for Kegler but the other two aren't replacements for the losses of Newman and Herard. Those two spots haven't been filled/replaced yet. Nick Spoon was always coming here so he's not a replacement for Newman either.

Please don't put Herard in that he loss category other than what we THOUGHT he would be when we signed him. Dude is raw as a corn cob and will likely be a Senior somewhere before he has any decent contribution to his team. Those that evaluated him in HS, including Howland, just missed royally. For us, it was best to free up his scholarship.

Dawg61
01-20-2018, 11:56 PM
Yep, star watching gets you nowhere. It did in Stans. It's getting really close to doing in Ben.

We want 4-5* basketball players we just don't want the ones that transfer/quit/get kicked off/or suck. Seems like it's a 50/50 or worse gamble on each one. This is another reason I want transfers and foreigners. They seem to be safer bets. Misses kill your program. Find a way to eliminate misses and you'll find a tourney team as long as you aren't signing SWAC players just so they don't transfer.

maroonmania
01-21-2018, 12:02 AM
Brooks not making it to Starkville didn't help matters either....

Yep, the Brooks situation was the worst possible. We would have been much better off if he had just signed somewhere else initially when we could have replaced him with another quality player. By doing things like he did we ended up with nobody else to go after. Kind of believe Brooks' Mother did it that way on purpose to pour salt in the wound.

Dawg61
01-21-2018, 12:05 AM
Please don't put Herard in that he loss category other than what we THOUGHT he would be when we signed him. Dude is raw as a corn cob and will likely be a Senior somewhere before he has any decent contribution to his team. Those that evaluated him in HS, including Howland, just missed royally. For us, it was best to free up his scholarship.

That is literally the definition of a miss and you can't have any in basketball when they are supposed to be starters/major players. You can miss on the last guy on your bench not on starters/major contributors. Just because Herard ended up being the last guy on the bench doesn't change that he is a major miss. Had we missed on Datcher and Herard was actually as good as advertised we wouldn't feel the effects of Datcher sucking at all. There's the difference.

Eli Wright is treading the line of being a miss too. Brooks is another miss. Howland is racking up the misses right now and not nailing enough makes.

Coach007
01-21-2018, 12:42 AM
What I am saying is that argument is one used against Stans.

Liverpooldawg
01-21-2018, 12:52 AM
The bottom line is we suck right now, close, which we are, only works in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Dawg61
01-21-2018, 12:52 AM
What I am saying is that argument is one used against Stans.

100% the reason Stans isn't here anymore. He kept missing on guys over and over and over. There's many contributing factors/ways to a guy being a "miss". Stans didn't develop players well, he didn't have a functioning S&C program, he didn't have discipline, he went after high-risk guys, he let drugs erode his program etc...but at the end of the day a miss is a miss is a miss no matter how he ended up being one. Stansbury had way too many of them and Howland is trending in the same direction. I like Howland a lot but you can not have misses. Period. Misses get you fired. He needs to get off his ass and replace the 3 gigantic misses we have currently killing our program and the only way he's gonna do that is by adding transfers or euros ASAP. Three of them need to get added to this class and are able to play for us next year. Get on it Mr. 3 Final Fours. I am rooting for you.

Homedawg
01-21-2018, 01:22 AM
While you have some valid points, you are the same guy that said, we just need to have 13 guys on scholarship, I do t care who they are. Fact is, you need talented guys w some veteran leadership to succeed. Even Kentucky agrees.

Dawg61
01-21-2018, 01:37 AM
While you have some valid points, you are the same guy that said, we just need to have 13 guys on scholarship, I do t care who they are. Fact is, you need talented guys w some veteran leadership to succeed. Even Kentucky agrees.

Talk about twisting words. Find one post when I said "I don't care who they are" with regards to signing ALL of our allowed scholarships. A huge reason why I wanted ALL scholarships filled is because it helps in case you have a miss. You're confusing a dire situation in Rick Ray's first year with how I view every season should be approached. When I said I wanted Rick Ray to add some walk-ons immediately it was literally days after he flew to ****ing Hawaii with 7 scholarship players and we proceeded to get our shit pushed in by 40 points to every other team there. Our depth was so putrid that year we almost had to play with only 4 guys on the court during the last two minutes of the game vs Bama. That season and those comments I made about walk-ons was an anomaly season. No coach should ever let their roster get so depleted they don't even have scholarship players and walk-ons available to play a full five guys on the court. That's what was going on in Ray's first season.

Cooterpoot
01-21-2018, 07:41 AM
None of those three were losses. They were overhyped players. I?m still sticking with Howland is done next year without a NCAA bid and that ain?t likely to happen and we all know it.

cujo
01-21-2018, 08:40 AM
Wish we had kept Brooks but Perry will be better.

Dawg61
01-21-2018, 09:24 AM
None of those three were losses. They were overhyped players.

They are misses. Period. Can't have them in basketball if you aren't immediately replacing them with something better.

HaggardDawg
01-21-2018, 09:42 AM
We want 4-5* basketball players we just don't want the ones that transfer/quit/get kicked off/or suck. Seems like it's a 50/50 or worse gamble on each one. This is another reason I want transfers and foreigners. They seem to be safer bets. Misses kill your program. Find a way to eliminate misses and you'll find a tourney team as long as you aren't signing SWAC players just so they don't transfer.

You?re right. 3 of our starting 5 on that 2004 team were all transfers. Roberts, Powers, and Vincent.

tcdog70
01-21-2018, 11:26 AM
It pretty simple to Me why this team is underachieving. Peters, he played like last Years Peters in the second half and we played our asses off. All we need to win , and I will say it again.
1. Peters, play like the second half.
2. Ado, quit fouling setting screens.
3. Holman shoot the 17ing ball.

Dawg61
01-21-2018, 12:31 PM
You?re right. 3 of our starting 5 on that 2004 team were all transfers. Roberts, Powers, and Vincent.

And how many transfers did Stansbury add after that year in his final eight seasons? A shitload less than the amount of transfer outs or misses.

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 01:18 PM
Good post 61 b/c even if we justify it as fans w/Malik & Kegler being drama queens, that’s a character miss on us we should have known recruiting them. If Herard was a raw and wanted a bigger role, yet another thing we should have known during recruiting. Regardless of how those guys turn out to be as players, it’s 3 high profile recruits we got essentially zilch from. That’s a huge hole as 61 has pointed out.

Jack Lambert
01-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Tired of excuses.

Ari Gold
01-21-2018, 01:33 PM
None of those three were losses. They were overhyped players. I?m still sticking with Howland is done next year without a NCAA bid and that ain?t likely to happen and we all know it.

Wow.. just ****ing wow. If you don’t think Kegler is a HUGE loss at the 4..
that’s the biggest hole on our team right now

Coach34
01-21-2018, 01:40 PM
Kegler was ****ing good

BeastMan
01-21-2018, 01:48 PM
Kegler was ****ing good

And we knew the deal with him and his advisor from the jump. Everyone on the metro area knew it when he was in 9th grade. So not making that work is a miss. There were no surprises

Dawg61
01-21-2018, 03:00 PM
A starting lineup of
Peters
Newman
Kegler
Holman
Ado
is nasty. Problem is two of those guys refuse to play the position they are best suited for.

louisvilledawg
01-22-2018, 10:48 AM
A starting lineup of
Peters
Newman
Kegler
Holman
Ado
is nasty. Problem is two of those guys refuse to play the position they are best suited for.

and who were their handlers???

Cooterpoot
01-22-2018, 10:59 AM
Wow.. just ****ing wow. If you don’t think Kegler is a HUGE loss at the 4..
that’s the biggest hole on our team right now

Kegler showed up some times. But just like the rest of the players, his development (what he could be) sucked. Was he ahead of what we've got now? Yes, when he decided to do it. But still, you guys are clinging to one player, when more than that was given as the original reason we suck (losing those guys). So, we've lost one player that was somewhat productive. One............now lets come up with a better argument that losing all those guys is why we suck.
We suck because our coaching sucks. There's no development. There's no teaching/coaching of offense whatsoever. I'd even say there's a lack of discipline. That's why we suck. This is Stans 2.0 almost. But we're not even that good.

Coach34
01-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Kegler showed up some times. But just like the rest of the players, his development (what he could be) sucked. Was he ahead of what we've got now? Yes, when he decided to do it. But still, you guys are clinging to one player, when more than that was given as the original reason we suck (losing those guys). So, we've lost one player that was somewhat productive. One............now lets come up with a better argument that losing all those guys is why we suck.
We suck because our coaching sucks. There's no development. There's no teaching/coaching of offense whatsoever. I'd even say there's a lack of discipline. That's why we suck. This is Stans 2.0 almost. But we're not even that good.

Kegler gave us 10/5 a night last year as a true freshman. His loss is huge and instead of him on the floor we are putting Datcher, Feazell, and Wright out there

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-22-2018, 11:10 AM
However you want to label it he is still a gigantic miss by Howland and it hurts us bad. Not only do you totally miss out on any production you were counting on but you also didn't add any of the other guys in the class you could/would have signed had Herard never came here. Same for Newman same for Kegler. You can not miss on guys you expect to be starters or major contributors especially if you aren't Kentucky/Duke and already have a system in place to bring up the next stud.

Production and Herard should never be used in the same sentence.

Ari Gold
01-22-2018, 11:22 AM

I will just say this ..
When it comes to basketball posts it’s better for you to read more and post less.

tcdog70
01-22-2018, 11:57 AM
Kegler gave us 10/5 a night last year as a true freshman. His loss is huge and instead of him on the floor we are putting Datcher, Feazell, and Wright out there

are we not starting Holman at the 4 and Q at the 3--. I don't think Kegler is a big loss. He hung around the 3 point line and jacked up 3s. Maybe He would have been a lot better this year. I think the major reason we are struggling is Peter's is in a huge funk-if he comes out of it we will be a good team. Baby Horatio would have been sorta ok at the 2 but you get zero defense and He can't finish at the rim--glad His ass has moved on.

Ari Gold
01-22-2018, 12:14 PM
are we not starting Holman at the 4 and Q at the 3--. I don't think Kegler is a big loss. He hung around the 3 point line and jacked up 3s. Maybe He would have been a lot better this year. I think the major reason we are struggling is Peter's is in a huge funk-if he comes out of it we will be a good team. Baby Horatio would have been sorta ok at the 2 but you get zero defense and He can't finish at the rim--glad His ass has moved on.

It’s more about depth than who starts.
When Ado comes out instead of having X ( who is not reliable ) we have kegler at the 4 Holman at the 5
When Holman gets a blow kegler 4
And as a freshman with 10/ 5 a game is soild Numbers .
I understand he didn’t want to fit into CBH scheme and system and wouldn’t buy in. But not having him hurts greatly .

Hell Herard is a huge loss. What does Datcher bring ? Basically nothing . Once again depth huge issue . And Herarrd was just a soph. Players do improve..

tcdog70
01-22-2018, 12:21 PM
It’s more about depth than who starts.
When Ado comes out instead of having X ( who is not reliable ) we have kegler at the 4 Holman at the 5
When Holman gets a blow kegler 4
And as a freshman with 10/ 5 a game is soild Numbers .
I understand he didn’t want to fit into CBH scheme and system and wouldn’t buy in. But not having him hurts greatly .

Hell Herard is a huge loss. What does Datcher bring ? Basically nothing . Once again depth huge issue . And Herarrd was just a soph. Players do improve..

agreed--Maybe Datcher will improve--he has a nice shot and is a killer at the free throw line. I saw Kegler be very inconsistent--he had talent no doubt. I just don't have the love for Him you do. i think in the long run Feezel might be better than Kegler.

Ari Gold
01-22-2018, 12:40 PM
agreed--Maybe Datcher will improve--he has a nice shot and is a killer at the free throw line. I saw Kegler be very inconsistent--he had talent no doubt. I just don't have the love for Him you do. i think in the long run Feezel might be better than Kegler.

I’m not saying Kegler is a pro.. but he was more read as a freshman than Feazell . Also meant we had to play Feazell and not red shirt him.
We can count on one hand how many pros we have put in the league the last 30 years.
For anyone to think Kegler isn’t a huge loss is 100% wrong.

thf24
01-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Kegler, just like Newman, was convinced that he was a different position than where he was being played. It's hard to argue that 10 and 5 wouldn't have helped this year, but at the same time, guys with that kind of selfishness and lack of awareness can cost you in key moments or in less immediately obvious ways (locker room, etc.). Given the choice, I think I'd rather wait until year 4 and have a core of fully bought-in guys than have a few more games in the win column in year 2-3 but an unstable foundation due to having to excessively cater to divas.

Coach34
01-22-2018, 01:02 PM
. I saw Kegler be very inconsistent--he had talent no doubt. I just don't have the love for Him you do.

He was a true freshman- of course he was inconsistent. I bet he makes All-Conference at Baylor

CarolinaDawgs
01-22-2018, 01:05 PM
He was a true freshman- of course he was inconsistent. I bet he makes All-Conference at Baylor

OH BOY. Screen shot this.

Coach34
01-22-2018, 01:23 PM
OH BOY. Screen shot this.

done

We can have more fun like I did with Gary Ervin and also the guy that went to Oklahoma. Everybody sux according to our fans when they transfer

dawgday166
01-22-2018, 01:35 PM
done

We can have more fun like I did with Gary Ervin and also the guy that went to Oklahoma. Everybody sux according to our fans when they transfer

When Gary Ervin played within himself he wasn't that bad ... not a world beater tho.

And if he passes the ball to Winsome Frazier on the break against Duke in tourney, instead of trying to go to hole himself, we probably win that game. He was in his Jamont Gordon mode, prior to Jamont Gordon.

CarolinaDawgs
01-22-2018, 02:30 PM
done

I dont think he sucks at all, but I also dont think he'll be a top 15 player in the big 12. Those ideas dont have to be mutually exclusive.

tcdog70
01-22-2018, 03:03 PM

I don't see it--but I won't pull for Him not to. I hope He goes to the NBA. I've watched the Dog since Joe Dan Gold and I have seen lot's of Players better than Kegler and some did not make the NBA.

MarketingBully
01-22-2018, 03:52 PM
Kegler is an undersized four who thinks he’s a three. A true tweener so to say. But I rather sacrifice this year and get Reggie Perry next year. Perry will do more and quicker then Kegler will at both the college and NBA level. Perry will be a starter in the NBA where Kegler will be an overseas player. Kegler will be a decent college player though.

drunkernhelldawg
01-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Your team has to be mentally tough as hell to win close games at the end. That's not the same as playing all out, which everybody does. It's more than that, a higher level of competitiveness. We've been close this season, so reason for hope. Need to be tougher upstairs. And that goes for the HC, all the assistant coaches, and every player on the bench and the floor. The fact that three of our losses could have been W's proves that we're close. But that doesn't guarantee we get there. We're good enough to win. We need to be tough enough to win, and we aren't yet.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-22-2018, 05:13 PM
I'm disappointed, I was expecting the number one reason to be that Howland doesn't yell enough at his players :rolleyes:

Dawg61
01-22-2018, 06:05 PM
done

Stansbury was such a moron. He refused to play Osby who became All-Big12, he let Hansbrough transfer who was Big East POY, he kicked Phil Turner off the team who was All-Delta League or whatever it's called. We'd win 5 more games this year alone with Phil Turner starting for us. That dude had balls the size of grapefruits. Oh yea and he kicked a guy off the team that got drafted from ULL and Walter Sharpe got drafted first round by the Pistons but I don't blame Stansbury on that one. Sharpe was a huge POS.

Coach34
01-22-2018, 06:38 PM
I don't see it--but I won't pull for Him not to. I hope He goes to the NBA. I've watched the Dog since Joe Dan Gold and I have seen lot's of Players better than Kegler and some did not make the NBA.

Im not saying Kegler will be an NBA star- I’m saying he will be a very good college basketball player.

MCsMGs
01-22-2018, 07:31 PM
What's gonna be funny is if Kegler has to play the 4 at Baylor...

Ari Gold
01-22-2018, 07:32 PM
What's gonna be funny is if Kegler has to play the 4 at Baylor...

The same way Malik is playing the 2 at Kansas

MCsMGs
01-22-2018, 07:42 PM
The same way Malik is playing the 2 at Kansas

Yep! With the common denominator(OC) in play it would only be fitting...Self already making Howland look smart, that would be over the top!

tcdog70
01-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Stansbury was such a moron. He refused to play Osby who became All-Big12, he let Hansbrough transfer who was Big East POY, he kicked Phil Turner off the team who was All-Delta League or whatever it's called. We'd win 5 more games this year alone with Phil Turner starting for us. That dude had balls the size of grapefruits. Oh yea and he kicked a guy off the team that got drafted from ULL and Walter Sharpe got drafted first round by the Pistons but I don't blame Stansbury on that one. Sharpe was a huge POS.

Come On we know why Hansboro left, it wasn't anything to do with basketball. he also said we didn't have a practice facility, right. Stans went out raised money for a fine practice facility, our AD wasn't much help.

Dawg61
01-22-2018, 10:09 PM
Come On we know why Hansboro left, it wasn't anything to do with basketball. he also said we didn't have a practice facility, right. Stans went out raised money for a fine practice facility, our AD wasn't much help.

Tammi Handjobsbrough**

BrunswickDawg
01-23-2018, 07:08 AM
Tammi Handjobsbrough**

Trying to remember -players or coaches?

tcdog70
01-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Trying to remember -players or coaches?

She was equal opportunity

Irondawg
01-23-2018, 01:01 PM
Your team has to be mentally tough as hell to win close games at the end. That's not the same as playing all out, which everybody does. It's more than that, a higher level of competitiveness. We've been close this season, so reason for hope. Need to be tougher upstairs. And that goes for the HC, all the assistant coaches, and every player on the bench and the floor. The fact that three of our losses could have been W's proves that we're close. But that doesn't guarantee we get there. We're good enough to win. We need to be tough enough to win, and we aren't yet.

Counter argument is that a few of our W's could have easily been losses to really bad teams except Q saved us a couple of time and X got hot late against USM. If we had lost all 3 of those game even the optimistic people I think would be singing a different song.

Truth is we're a mediocre team that is young so there is reason for hope, however I don't personally see any of the current young guys making the big jump to turn us into something beyond decent.

MCsMGs
01-23-2018, 04:34 PM
Counter argument is that a few of our W's could have easily been losses to really bad teams except Q saved us a couple of time and X got hot late against USM. If we had lost all 3 of those game even the optimistic people I think would be singing a different song.

Truth is we're a mediocre team that is young so there is reason for hope, however I don't personally see any of the current young guys making the big jump to turn us into something beyond decent.

You could also use those 3 games to make the argument that good teams find a way to win close games...

MCsMGs
01-23-2018, 05:10 PM

A mediocre team would have a RPI in the 150-200 range...truth is, we're a decent team and very close to being a good team as soon as we figure out how to play two halves in the same game.

MarketingBully
01-23-2018, 05:53 PM

Really? Please stop posting on basketball. You are up there with the idiot predicting we will win 3 total SEC games. His name escapes me atm.

Dawg61
01-23-2018, 06:25 PM
The team is inconsistent because all the players are inconsistent besides maybe Holman. Carter can score 35 and 0 in back to back games. Q always plays only half a game. Peters gets hot for 10 minutes and disappears for 10 months etc...

Coach34
01-23-2018, 06:33 PM
Carter can score 35 and 0 in back to back games.

Not against an SEC team

Irondawg
01-23-2018, 07:08 PM
You could also use those 3 games to make the argument that good teams find a way to win close games...

You could, but given the level of competition I'm not sure it applies as much. Granted, very thankful we won but I don't remember anybody in the game threads being pleased with how we played in those games and I was at the USM game so saw that one first hand.

Coach34
01-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Irondawg is actually a solid basketball poster and has proven that over the years

Irondawg
01-23-2018, 07:12 PM
A mediocre team would have a RPI in the 150-200 range...truth is, we're a decent team and very close to being a good team as soon as we figure out how to play two halves in the same game.

I use mediocre and decent in the same context. We're not bad, but we're not really good either overall. We are 2-4 in the conference, and 2-5 against Top 100 RPI teams to this point. Yeah we'd be good if we weren't so inconsistent, but lots of other teams can say the same thing. Can we solve that riddle this year?