PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's announcers really summed up our basketball program

Coach34
01-20-2018, 09:35 PM
In the last 13 basketball seasons- we have made the NCAA Tourney TWICE. 2 times- in the 13 years.

This program has more problems than just hiring Rick Ray- 2 times in 13 years.

MaroonFlounder
01-20-2018, 09:47 PM
I hope Cohen is already secretly looking for HC replacements.

Ari Gold
01-20-2018, 09:49 PM
In the last 13 basketball seasons- we have made the NCAA Tourney TWICE. 2 times- in the 13 years.

Oh no.. we were a powerhouse before RR got here.. ***
The majority of our fans basketball IQ is what’s embarrassing..

tcdog70
01-20-2018, 10:20 PM
We were the third winning-est team in the SEC under Stans. Don't know what your definition of powerhouse is.

Coach34
01-20-2018, 10:24 PM
We were the third winning-est team in the SEC under Stans. Don't know what your definition of powerhouse is.

2 NCAA Tourneys in the last 13 years. That means we were one of the best 68 teams in the country only twice in the 13 years. That shows our fans clearly think we were better than we actually were

DanDority
01-20-2018, 10:37 PM
I hope Cohen is already secretly looking for HC replacements.

Why?

starkvegasdawg
01-20-2018, 10:39 PM
2 NCAA Tourneys in the last 13 years. That means we were one of the best 68 teams in the country only twice in the 13 years. That shows our fans clearly think we were better than we actually were

Not completely true. The best 68 teams don?t make the tourney.

Coach007
01-20-2018, 10:39 PM
Oh no.. we were a powerhouse before RR got here.. ***
The majority of our fans basketball IQ is what?s embarrassing..

Stansbury led his team to postseason tournament play 11 times in 14 seasons (six NCAA and five NIT tournaments), with five consecutive post-season tournament appearances, the first MSU basketball coach in history to accomplish this feat.

Ari Gold
01-20-2018, 10:41 PM
Stansbury led his team to postseason tournament play 11 times in 14 seasons (six NCAA and five NIT tournaments), with five consecutive post-season tournament appearances, the first MSU basketball coach in history to accomplish this feat.

Well go watch him coach Western ky..

msugolf
01-20-2018, 10:42 PM

Hahaha I love how you've come out tonight and repeated this statement about 5 times already. Its like a preemptive strike before people can say "And how are we improving as a program again." Let me help you with those stats, we're actually 0 for the last 6 years in tourney appearances since the coaching change(s). The previous 7 we made it 2 times, under Stans. Now I'm sure if Howland turns around and makes it 2-3 times every 7 years you'll turn around and say that's about as good as we can expect.

Coach007
01-20-2018, 10:43 PM

Well... how about not calling fans low IQ'd when clearly.... they are not the ones with it.

civildawg
01-20-2018, 10:44 PM
Wait, weren?t you the person that led the charge against Stan?s? The guy that made the tournament most years? And now you are saying we shouldn?t expect to be a tournament team? GFY

Ari Gold
01-20-2018, 10:45 PM
Well... how about not calling fans low IQ'd when clearly.... they are not the ones with it.

If you don’t think you are one of those then don’t worry about it..

Coach007
01-20-2018, 10:46 PM
Hahaha I love how you've come out tonight and repeated this statement about 5 times already. Its like a preemptive strike before people can say "And how are we improving as a program again." Let me help you with those stats, we're actually 0 for the last 6 years in tourney appearances since the coaching change(s). The previous 7 we made it 2 times, under Stans. Now I'm sure if Howland turns around and makes it 2-3 times every 7 years you'll turn around and say that's about as good as we can expect.

Howland will bring us back, but that does not excuse the hate and the desire for some people to try and control the programs.

Goldendawg
01-20-2018, 10:47 PM

We won the Western Division a lot.

Liverpooldawg
01-20-2018, 10:50 PM

I agree. We haven’t made it all under our last TWO coaches. Let that sink in.

Ari Gold
01-20-2018, 10:51 PM
We won the Western Division a lot.

And most of the time with a 9-7 / 10-6 record
There is a reason Stands was the ONLY coach that didn’t vote for the current SEC alignment ...

Liverpooldawg
01-20-2018, 10:52 PM

Yep, and neither of those two was under the last two coaches

Coach007
01-20-2018, 10:52 PM
If you don’t think you are one of those then don’t worry about it..

The problem is the consistent need for those of you that got your wet dream to continue to blame Stans. It's like you are trying to convince yourself by putting down people who are no longer living in the past. That's called purging your own demons.

Liverpooldawg
01-20-2018, 10:53 PM
There is a reason Stands was the ONLY coach that didn’t vote for the current SEC alignment ...

We wouldn’t have won the old western division since he left had it remained.

RougeDawg
01-20-2018, 10:54 PM

Ill just say that the casual sports fan in the southeast believed basketball has historically been our best sport. Even women will respond ?oh y?all used to be great in basketball? when I say I graduated from state.

Perception isn?t always reality but making all those tournaments, winning the west all those years, and the final four run in the 90?s left a perception in most people?s minds that our program was one of the SEC?s top. This isn?t even debatable.

Liverpooldawg
01-20-2018, 10:54 PM

I would LOVE to be 9-7 in the SEC, NOW.

Goldendawg
01-20-2018, 10:55 PM
Know, he left early (may have gotten his doctorate in that one year), Dontae Jones got any eligibility left?****

Coach007
01-20-2018, 10:56 PM
Howland will get us there.

BeardoMSU
01-20-2018, 11:02 PM
There is a reason Stands was the ONLY coach that didn?t vote for the current SEC alignment ...

This^

Ari Gold
01-20-2018, 11:09 PM
I would LOVE to be 9-7 in the SEC, NOW.

If those teams back then had the schedule like it is now . I am guessing lots of those 9-7 teams wouldn’t haven’t gotten to 9.

Liverpooldawg
01-20-2018, 11:33 PM
If those teams back then had the schedule like it is now . I am guessing lots of those 9-7 teams wouldn’t haven’t gotten to 9.

But they did, and we haven't even sniffed it since. Suicide is never pretty.

BrunswickDawg
01-20-2018, 11:34 PM
While I enjoyed the years we have made the NCAA, I have never thought of us as a basketball school. We were competitive, and had some years with some real talent and some incredible runs.

Maybe it?s because I was on campus during a window of shitty basketball (91-92 season thru the first half of the 94-95 seasons) and only saw 1 good team, I don?t have some overblown feeling of nostalgia for it.

People need to get a grip on our history. 9 trips to the NCAA in 55 years is not a basketball school. It just isn?t. So when we are good I enjoy it. When we suck, it really doesn?t surprise me.

Ari Gold
01-20-2018, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE=Liverpooldawg;875175]But they did, and we haven't even sniffed it since. Suicide is never pretty.[/QUOT

It’s like trying to reason with a child or a Umiss fan..

Liverpooldawg
01-20-2018, 11:42 PM
While I enjoyed the years we have made the NCAA, I have never thought of us as a basketball school. We were competitive, and had some years with some real talent and some incredible runs.

Maybe it?s because I was on campus during a window of shitty basketball (91-92 season thru the first half of the 94-95 seasons) and only saw 1 good team, I don?t have some overblown feeling of nostalgia for it.

People need to get a grip on our history. 9 trips to the NCAA in 55 years is not a basketball school. It just isn?t. So when we are good I enjoy it. When we suck, it really doesn?t surprise me.

During the Williams-Stansbury regime we were as close as it gets to a basketball school in the SEC outside of the border school at Lexington. We had been there once before under the Babe. The failure to recognize that UK dominance and our own station relative to it is what lead to our sorry state now. We were close for a while, twice. We cut our own throats by getting ahead of the game in our minds.

Liverpooldawg
01-20-2018, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=Liverpooldawg;875175]But they did, and we haven't even sniffed it since. Suicide is never pretty.[/QUOT

It’s like trying to reason with a child or a Umiss fan..
Yes it is.

BrunswickDawg
01-21-2018, 12:14 AM
During the Williams-Stansbury regime we were as close as it gets to a basketball school in the SEC outside of the border school at Lexington. We had been there once before under the Babe. The failure to recognize that UK dominance and our own station relative to it is what lead to our sorry state now. We were close for a while, twice. We cut our own throats by getting ahead of the game in our minds.

Basketball schools compete for National Titles and make regular deep runs in the tournament. We have 2 Final 8, 1 Final Four, and that is it. We won a lot of weak OOC games, weak SEC games, and some years gave UK and UF a run for their money.

UF has been in 17 NCAAs in 30 years (basically the beginn8ng of the Williams-Stands “regime” as Liverdud calls it), won 2 Nattys, and been to 5 Final Fours.
Arkansas has been in 17 NCAAS in 30 years, won 1 Natty, and been to 3 Final Fours
UT has been in 12 NCAAs in 30 years, and been in 5 Sweet 16s
LSU has been in 11 NCAAs in 30 years, and been in a Final Four

Those sound like basketball schools.

UGA has been to as many NCAAs as us in 30 years. Shitty ass UGA. We are not, and never were a basketball school.

Coach007
01-21-2018, 01:01 AM
Basketball schools compete for National Titles and make regular deep runs in the tournament. We have 2 Final 8, 1 Final Four, and that is it. We won a lot of weak OOC games, weak SEC games, and some years gave UK and UF a run for their money.

UF has been in 17 NCAAs in 30 years (basically the beginn8ng of the Williams-Stands “regime” as Liverdud calls it), won 2 Nattys, and been to 5 Final Fours.
Arkansas has been in 17 NCAAS in 30 years, won 1 Natty, and been to 3 Final Fours

UGA has been to as many NCAAs as us in 30 years. Shitty ass UGA. We are not, and never were a basketball school.

I think there is a miscommunication. What's being said and what's being heard are 2 different things. Anybody denying what Williams and Stans did is just a person with an axe to grind and when you get to that point, you lose all sense of reality. To keep bringing him back up (as was the intent of this thread) serves no point except to DEMAND others to believe that they were right gosh darn it. Trying to convince themselves by lashing out at others. wording stats to try and make a point and following that up with saying the fans are the stupid ones because we were never a basketball school.

And it's all to try and convince themselves that they were right gosh darn it and I don't care what you say! I'm a winner! ...... and nobody is really living back then except the ones who preached and demanded that Stans be fired.

People like me have moved on except to keep people from distorting the past. Howland will win unless people try to force him out too soon. We are all trying to look forward except for when distorted facts are presented. To keep bringing it up with every loss we have as justification isn't needed and serves no purpose.

Liverpooldawg
01-21-2018, 01:03 AM

We were there for a very brief period under the Babe. You can blame us not staying there on our racist past in Mississippi. Richard Williams had us there again, and Stans had us very close. All three of those periods were pretty much as close as our much praised and overrated baseball program has ever been, and with a forth of the same effort, and that's being generous.

Coach34
01-21-2018, 01:06 AM

aGAIN- We have made 2 NCAA?s in the last 13 seasons. Those numbers speak for themselves. Hell- we are likely an NIT team this year- yet that doesn?t seem to make anybody around here happy

Activated Alpha
01-21-2018, 01:22 AM
I don't understand why people keep saying we have low basketball IQ. Hell a blind man can tell we are having trouble putting a round ball into a round hoop....

Bully13
01-21-2018, 07:31 AM
I agree that in no way should basketball school and MSU be in the same sentence. I think some here are just saying it would be nice to be mediocre again.

Jarius
01-21-2018, 08:50 AM
aGAIN- We have made 2 NCAA?s in the last 13 seasons. Those numbers speak for themselves. Hell- we are likely an NIT team this year- yet that doesn?t seem to make anybody around here happy

Because from 1991-2009 (most of my lifetime) we went to the NCAA tournament 9 times in 19 years. I was one who wanted Stans gone after we had people fighting in the stands and embarrassing the school, but what has happened since he left is completely unacceptable and our administration and coaches who have lead this shit show should be ashamed that they let it get this way.

BrunswickDawg
01-21-2018, 09:29 AM
I think there is a miscommunication. What's being said and what's being heard are 2 different things. Anybody denying what Williams and Stans did is just a person with an axe to grind and when you get to that point, you lose all sense of reality. To keep bringing him back up (as was the intent of this thread) serves no point except to DEMAND others to believe that they were right gosh darn it. Trying to convince themselves by lashing out at others. wording stats to try and make a point and following that up with saying the fans are the stupid ones because we were never a basketball school.

And it's all to try and convince themselves that they were right gosh darn it and I don't care what you say! I'm a winner! ...... and nobody is really living back then except the ones who preached and demanded that Stans be fired.

People like me have moved on except to keep people from distorting the past. Howland will win unless people try to force him out too soon. We are all trying to look forward except for when distorted facts are presented. To keep bringing it up with every loss we have as justification isn't needed and serves no purpose.

Did I give any negative opinion on Stansbury or any coach? No. You would probably be shocked to know I thought he had earned a chance to turn it around and should have been given a chance to do so. I put those stats up there to show people who believe that we had anything more than an above average SEC team other than about 3 seasons over the past 30 years some reality. Williams and Stands were good coaches, they brought us respectability. They also had an advantage of playing in a divided SEC, where many years 9-6 or 8-7 won the division and gave you a 1 seed in the SEC - which could set you up for a nice run. We took advantage of that. Great. But, that should never give people the illusion that we were Kentucky or UT, UF, or Arkansas.

The funniest thing about so many people melting this season is how much this team is like most of Stands teams. We played a weak OOC, just like Stands teams did every year (differencing being we won them all and didn’t have 3 WTF losses by SEC play). We are undisciplined, just like most of Stands teams. If we pull together and grow, we stand a shot at going .500 in SEC play, just like most Stands teams. If we do, we could be on the bubble, unless we have a run at the SEC tourney and get an auto bid, just like a number of Stands teams. If we make a nice SEC run but don’t get an auto bid, we will just miss the NCAAs due to that weak OOC, just like Stands teams. We have a lot of talent, but can’t get it together consistently, like most Stands teams. The biggest difference - Stands always had a guy who could shoot lights out.

We play like we have the last 2-3 game and the wins will come - putting us at roughly 21 wins. And where is that? Pretty much where Stands had us every year.

tcdog70
01-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Come On Ari I agree with most of your post. But this is what you have got. Weak. We can talk about our ex coaches, to compare our current coach with our most successful coach on a message board make perfect sense. And I will keep up with Stans and watch Him win his Conference.

BuckyIsAB****
01-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Mens basketball has become an afterthought here. Say what you want but Stans made postseason play 11 times. Now nobody gives a shit and I dont blame them.

We have no culture we dont get along, too many me's and not enough we.

MarketingBully
01-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Because from 1991-2009 (most of my lifetime) we went to the NCAA tournament 9 times in 19 years. I was one who wanted Stans gone after we had people fighting in the stands and embarrassing the school, but what has happened since he left is completely unacceptable and our administration and coaches who have lead this shit show should be ashamed that they let it get this way.

The biggest elephant in the room and the biggest cautionary tale that I could tell anyone for basketball is when you fire a coach you damn well better upgrade the position or at least fire him when he has a shitty record and hasn’t left the cupboard bare. I agreed with letting Stansbury go at the time but you don’t fire him when A) we had just won 20+ games and made an NIT appearance and B) you don’t fire him when he left the cupboard bare. If Stricklin fires him a year earlier or a year later, we are in great shape to hire a new coach. We also saw a coaching search with Stricklin in selecting Ray that rivaled only Tennessee’s recent football coaching search in incompetence. You have to have a plan and a plan a, b, c, and d in place. Stricklin didn’t. If you want to know why our program was set back a decade look no further then the Florida AD Loafers and his self imposed three year death penalty. Ray’s three years of roster mismanagement, shitty recruiting, and shitty coaching is why it will take Coach Howland four years to get us back to the dance. Howland will get us back. Give him time.

MarketingBully
01-21-2018, 11:48 AM

What is your point to this thread? It’s taken Pearl four years to get Auburn back to the dance and they haven’t been since 2003. It took Frank Martin 4+ years to get USC to the tournament. Thanks to Rick Ray’s three years of absolute shit, we were those kinds of rebuilds.

MarketingBully
01-21-2018, 11:50 AM
This is John Cohen baseball dejavu. Howland will get us to the tournament. We will get there in year 4.

Turfdawg67
01-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Sherrill won only one SEC West title but he's The Kang

RocketDawg
01-21-2018, 12:41 PM
The biggest elephant in the room and the biggest cautionary tale that I could tell anyone for basketball is when you fire a coach you damn well better upgrade the position or at least fire him when he has a shitty record and hasn’t left the cupboard bare. I agreed with letting Stansbury go at the time but you don’t fire him when A) we had just won 20+ games and made an NIT appearance and B) you don’t fire him when he left the cupboard bare. If Stricklin fires him a year earlier or a year later, we are in great shape to hire a new coach. We also saw a coaching search with Stricklin in selecting Ray that rivaled only Tennessee’s recent football coaching search in incompetence. You have to have a plan and a plan a, b, c, and d in place. Stricklin didn’t. If you want to know why our program was set back a decade look no further then the Florida AD Loafers and his self imposed three year death penalty. Ray’s three years of roster mismanagement, shitty recruiting, and shitty coaching is why it will take Coach Howland four years to get us back to the dance. Howland will get us back. Give him time.

And we paid him $1M/year to do all that.

Coach34
01-21-2018, 12:54 PM

A) Great point on firing Stands when we did. We should have waited one more year so he would have bottomed out and nobody could say a word about it.

B) Ray's recruiting was a by-product of our refusal to continue to sponsor AAU programs during his tenure. You dont sponsor- you dont sign.

Ari Gold
01-21-2018, 01:26 PM
And we paid him $1M/year to do all that.

And Thank God that guy that approved that is at Fla now..

MarketingBully
01-21-2018, 03:58 PM
A) Great point on firing Stands when we did. We should have waited one more year so he would have bottomed out and nobody could say a word about it.

B) Ray's recruiting was a by-product of our refusal to continue to sponsor AAU programs during his tenure. You dont sponsor- you dont sign.

Even had we sponsored AAU programs, do you honestly think that moron could sign anything more then a 2 or 3 star? One of the main reasons we fired him (aside from the incompetence and total lack of coaching) was because we basically would have missed out on every legacy we had and that would have buried our program even worse then it is now.

War Machine Dawg
01-21-2018, 05:32 PM

I'd be shocked if this team makes any sort of postseason play. They're heartless and not good. SOS doesn't lie, and we played one of - it not the - worst schedules in the NCAA so far. That we're being exposed in SEC play is the least surprising part of this season. We hired the bootleg version of Stands. Postseason play this year or GTFO should be what Cohen tells Howland.

War Machine Dawg
01-21-2018, 05:37 PM
Did I give any negative opinion on Stansbury or any coach? No. You would probably be shocked to know I thought he had earned a chance to turn it around and should have been given a chance to do so. I put those stats up there to show people who believe that we had anything more than an above average SEC team other than about 3 seasons over the past 30 years some reality. Williams and Stands were good coaches, they brought us respectability. They also had an advantage of playing in a divided SEC, where many years 9-6 or 8-7 won the division and gave you a 1 seed in the SEC - which could set you up for a nice run. We took advantage of that. Great. But, that should never give people the illusion that we were Kentucky or UT, UF, or Arkansas.

The funniest thing about so many people melting this season is how much this team is like most of Stands teams. We played a weak OOC, just like Stands teams did every year (differencing being we won them all and didn?t have 3 WTF losses by SEC play). We are undisciplined, just like most of Stands teams. If we pull together and grow, we stand a shot at going .500 in SEC play, just like most Stands teams. If we do, we could be on the bubble, unless we have a run at the SEC tourney and get an auto bid, just like a number of Stands teams. If we make a nice SEC run but don?t get an auto bid, we will just miss the NCAAs due to that weak OOC, just like Stands teams. We have a lot of talent, but can?t get it together consistently, like most Stands teams. The biggest difference - Stands always had a guy who could shoot lights out.

We play like we have the last 2-3 game and the wins will come - putting us at roughly 21 wins. And where is that? Pretty much where Stands had us every year.

I can't tell you how many times I've thought this when I bother to watch us play. Sorely disappointed with Howland so far. He's undoubtedly increased our talent level, but damn we look poorly coached. And we're not very good on D, which is supposed to be his hallmark. He'll get one more year, but this shit has to improve quickly.

MarketingBully
01-21-2018, 05:39 PM
I'd be shocked if this team makes any sort of postseason play. They're heartless and not good. SOS doesn't lie, and we played one of - it not the - worst schedules in the NCAA so far. That we're being exposed in SEC play is the least surprising part of this season. We hired the bootleg version of Stands. Postseason play this year or GTFO should be what Cohen tells Howland.

Nope. We will make the NIT this season if Howland starts our best five which we have stated ad nauseum. He gets four years to make the NCAA tournament which we will dance next year...

War Machine Dawg
01-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Nope. We will make the NIT this season if Howland starts our best five which we have stated ad nauseum. He gets four years to make the NCAA tournament which we will dance next year...

I'd be happy if we make the NIT this year. But I put the chances at less than 50% based on what we've seen so far. We can't win away from the Hump and we can't win regularly against good teams at the Hump now that we're in SEC play. Not a good way to make the postseason. If we were lights out at home, I'd be more optimistic.

Coach34
01-21-2018, 06:18 PM
All we have to do to make the NIT is win a few games. Our SOS is already up to 144 and our RPI will be around 60 after we play Kentucky. We have 5-6 attainable wins left on the schedule. Get it done

Ari Gold
01-21-2018, 06:18 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've thought this when I bother to watch us play. Sorely disappointed with Howland so far. He's undoubtedly increased our talent level, but damn we look poorly coached. And we're not very good on D, which is supposed to be his hallmark. He'll get one more year, but this shit has to improve quickly.

Not very good on D???

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2018, 06:26 PM
There is a reason Stands was the ONLY coach that didn?t vote for the current SEC alignment ...

To be fair, its been a long time since we had a winning SEC record. I'd be thrilled with a 10-8 SEC record.

msstate7
01-21-2018, 06:32 PM
All we have to do to make the NIT is win a few games. Our SOS is already up to 144 and our RPI will be around 60 after we play Kentucky. We have 5-6 attainable wins left on the schedule. Get it done
I will be thrilled if we can somehow get in the nit

Ari Gold
01-21-2018, 06:39 PM
To be fair, its been a long time since we had a winning SEC record. I'd be thrilled with a 10-8 SEC record.

If We get to 9 wins we prob make the tourney this year.
people tend to forget we were 10-6 in the league the year we went to final four..
shows how good the league was then and now..

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2018, 06:44 PM
If We get to 9 wins we prob make the tourney this year.
people tend to forget we were 10-6 in the league the year we went to final four..
shows how good the league was then and now..

We need 10 SEC wins to get in the tourney - our 144 SOS has pretty much caused that.

What will be interesting to see how the board reacts if Stans gets WKU in the tourney in year 2. Currently they have an RPI of 46. They probably need to win their tourney, but they have a top 25 SOS and will most likely be a bubble team down the stretch.

Coach34
01-21-2018, 06:49 PM

To also be fair- Stands never faced an 18 game SEC schedule against the whole SEC and not protected by playing 2 games each against a weak West. He was the only SEC coach to vote against that. We know why too

msstate7
01-21-2018, 06:50 PM
We need 10 SEC wins to get in the tourney - our 144 SOS has pretty much caused that.

What will be interesting to see how the board reacts if Stans gets WKU in the tourney in year 2. Currently they have an RPI of 46. They probably need to win their tourney, but they have a top 25 SOS and will most likely be a bubble team down the stretch.
I am not sure they have to win the conference. That Purdue win could get them in assuming they are around the top of their conference

Coach34
01-21-2018, 06:52 PM

We are hoping NIT- NCAA is not really feasible. Hell, it took Stands 4 years and he had recruited his team when he got the job. Nobody cares what Stands does at a Mid-Major. It's easier to win in little school basketball.

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2018, 06:53 PM
I am not sure they have to win the conference. That Purdue win could get them in assuming they are around the top of their conference

I didn't look at their schedule, can't believe they beat Purdue.

I was not in the fire Stans crowd, so it would be interesting to see how the board would react to Stans making the tourney in year 2 at WKU while we are in year 6 of a rebuild. I'm sure most people would be happy for Stans............................................. .................................................. ..........

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2018, 06:56 PM
We are hoping NIT- NCAA is not really feasible. Hell, it took Stands 4 years and he had recruited his team when he got the job. Nobody cares what Stands does at a Mid-Major. It's easier to win in little school basketball.

It's easier to make the NCAA tourney in whatever shit conference that WKU is in as opposed to the SEC? Really? So if Stans makes the NCAA it will be because he took the easy road to the NCAA by taking WKU to the tourney possibly? I guess I can understand that logic if he just wins the tourney, but if he gets an at large bid, then that argument goes out the window.

Coach34
01-21-2018, 06:57 PM
I didn't look at their schedule, can't believe they beat Purdue.

I was not in the fire Stans crowd, so it would be interesting to see how the board would react to Stans making the tourney in year 2 at WKU while we are in year 6 of a rebuild. I'm sure most people would be happy for Stans............................................. .................................................. ..........

Western Kentucky has made the NCAA Tourney 4 times the last 10 years and has more appearances in their history than State does. Making it there would surprise nobody. You get fired when you dont

Ari Gold
01-21-2018, 06:58 PM

Who gives a shit.. just like I don?t hive a shit if RR wins 1 game or 30 games with SEMO
I swear I think Stands is the Freeze to some of our fan base..

Coach34
01-21-2018, 06:59 PM
It's easier to make the NCAA tourney in whatever shit conference that WKU is in as opposed to the SEC? Really?.

7 appearances since 2001 says yes it is

Coach34
01-21-2018, 07:02 PM
I swear I think Stands is the Freeze to some of our fan base..

There's no doubt about that.

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2018, 07:06 PM
7 appearances since 2001 says yes it is

Since joining CUSA they haven't been - and they used to run rough shod over the Sun Belt, but they haven't been at large worthy since Darrin Horn's kids were there in 2009.

If Stans get them an at large bid, it will be an accomplishment.

Coach34
01-21-2018, 07:11 PM
Since joining CUSA they haven't been - and they used to run rough shod over the Sun Belt, but they haven't been at large worthy since Darrin Horn's kids were there in 2009.

It's still little boy basketball

msstate7
01-21-2018, 07:11 PM

Good info. I had no idea they have missed the tourney so much lately

Coach34
01-21-2018, 07:16 PM
Good info. I had no idea they have missed the tourney so much lately

made it back to back in 2012 and 2013. This is only their 4th year in Conf USA- 15-17 last year under Stands

They were 21-11 in 2014 and didnt make it
They were 20-12 in 2015 and didnt make it

msstate7
01-21-2018, 07:18 PM
made it back to back in 2012 and 2013. This is only their 4th year in Conf USA- 15-17 last year under Stands

They were 21-11 in 2014 and didnt make it
They were 20-12 in 2015 and didnt make it

Ahhh... I missed the at large part. Thought he said they have missed the tourney since 2009

BrunswickDawg
01-21-2018, 08:03 PM

At large worthy is a narrow, narrow window in a mid-major conference. They have had 3 appearances since Horn left in ?09. That?s 3 more than we?ve had. It?s not like Stands inherited a rebuild either, although they were short handed due to 3 players being kicked out of school (which resulted in Ray Harper resigning). Harper took Jax St to the NCAAs in his first year last year, turning around a team that went 8-23 the year before. Should win the OVC this year sitting at 15-6.

tcdog70
01-21-2018, 10:15 PM
To also be fair- Stands never faced an 18 game SEC schedule against the whole SEC and not protected by playing 2 games each against a weak West. He was the only SEC coach to vote against that. We know why too

Stans had a winning record against every team in the Sec Except KY and FL. Keep on with your hate Stans bullshit. You got what you wanted and boy have we sucked since then.

Coach34
01-21-2018, 11:36 PM
Stans had a winning record against every team in the Sec Except KY and FL. Keep on with your hate Stans bullshit. You got what you wanted and boy have we sucked since then.

Thats a lie- Stands was 6-9 vs Tennessee

He was propped up playing a weakass SEC West schedule every season. We were never as good as the top the 3 teams in the East year after year.

BiscuitEater
01-22-2018, 05:11 AM

And, the LAST winning team was when? And, WHO led the unending campaign against said coach?

tcdog70
01-22-2018, 09:39 AM

He was propped up playing a weakass SEC West schedule every season. We were never as good as the top the 3 teams in the East year after year.

never--shit I thought We won the SEC and didn't lose a road game--Plus He won the Tourney. Excuse me on Tn. he just played who was on His Schedule . Our Football team and baseball team only play some teams every so often. Our football team plays Ga-Fla-Tn once in a blue moon. So why are you picking on basketball? Oh I know,it is what you do. It looks like we were as good as TN at least 6 times.

HancockCountyDog
01-22-2018, 09:45 AM
And, the LAST winning team was when? And, WHO led the unending campaign against said coach?

All I know is that you can pick any consecutive five year term during Stans' tenure and you are going to find two trips to the NCAA tourney in those five years. He was a good coach. I wish we still had his level of success here, I don't want him back, but I would love to have his results back.

tcdog70
01-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Stansbury won more SEC Championships in his last 10 years than any other SEC program except Kentucky 12. Mississippi State 8. (Florida 6) Western Conference Champion: 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010. SEC Tournament Champion: 2002, 2009. Overall SEC Champion: 2004. Under the leadership of Stansbury, MSU's teams were always a threat in the SEC Tournament, reaching the finals of the tournament four times, winning twice. His SEC Tournament record is 16-12. 6

Kind of speaks for itself.

Bully13
01-22-2018, 10:09 AM

ouch.

MarketingBully
01-22-2018, 10:10 AM
So you’re saying a coach is responsible and not the school. We actually have a great foundation for winning basketball. We have proven we get the best player in Mississippi every year if we have at least a competent coach. We have done that for over 20 years and it isn’t all because of Stansbury. If we had hired the combination of Kermit Davis and Butch Pierre as his top assistant when we let Stansbury go we wouldn’t even be having this discussion because I’d be willing to bet we would have made the tournament most every year and had a couple of Sweet 16s under our belt. But once again, it comes back to who Stricklin hired to replace Stansbury and the self imposed death penalty he enacted on our program and why it’s taking Howland 4 years to get us to the dance.

Bully13
01-22-2018, 10:10 AM
Stansbury won more SEC Championships in his last 10 years than any other SEC program except Kentucky 12. Mississippi State 8. (Florida 6) Western Conference Champion: 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010. SEC Tournament Champion: 2002, 2009. Overall SEC Champion: 2004. Under the leadership of Stansbury, MSU's teams were always a threat in the SEC Tournament, reaching the finals of the tournament four times, winning twice. His SEC Tournament record is 16-12. 6

Kind of speaks for itself.

ouch.

MadDawg
01-22-2018, 10:11 AM
I see Coach3/4 is at it again.

Bully13
01-22-2018, 10:13 AM

plagiarism alert: Coach 34, show us on the doll where Stans touched you.

LOL.

Ari Gold
01-22-2018, 10:42 AM
So you’re saying a coach is responsible and not the school. We actually have a great foundation for winning basketball. We have proven we get the best player in Mississippi every year if we have at least a competent coach. We have done that for over 20 years and it isn’t all because of Stansbury. If we had hired the combination of Kermit Davis and Butch Pierre as his top assistant when we let Stansbury go we wouldn’t even be having this discussion because I’d be willing to bet we would have made the tournament most every year and had a couple of Sweet 16s under our belt. But once again, it comes back to who Stricklin hired to replace Stansbury and the self imposed death penalty he enacted on our program and why it’s taking Howland 4 years to get us to the dance.

Agree. Scott going rouge was a huge factor.
CBH should basically get a pass firs 2 years. Look at the roster when he got here.

MarketingBully
01-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Agree. Scott going rouge was a huge factor.
CBH should basically get a pass firs 2 years. Look at the roster when he got here.

Didn’t he practically go against everyone including Keenum when he made the Rick Ray hire? I seem to remember that being discussed on here. If that’s the case and since it didn’t work out, he should have been fired on the spot.

tcdog70
01-22-2018, 11:45 AM

Davis-Pierre was a no-brainer--you are spot on.

tcdog70
01-22-2018, 11:48 AM
I see Coach3/4 is at it again.

i see what you did--funny

Ari Gold
01-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Didn’t he practically go against everyone including Keenum when he made the Rick Ray hire? I seem to remember that being discussed on here. If that’s the case and since it didn’t work out, he should have been fired on the spot.

I will put it this way , Rick Ray was shocked he got the job. And that was told to me by a coach that was on the Clemson staff with RR..

drunkernhelldawg
01-22-2018, 11:52 AM

I think he's a Mississippi State fan. I never heard of following a coach to another school.

MarketingBully
01-22-2018, 12:13 PM
I will put it this way , Rick Ray was shocked he got the job. And that was told to me by a coach that was on the Clemson staff with RR..

I would have been shocked too. I don’t blame Ray for taking the job. It would have literally been like you or I got the job. We were just as qualified. We paid him $1 million a year for three years. He got $3 million from us for doing just as good of a job as an unqualified fan. The thing that also pisses me off the most as well is we shouldn’t be paying our men’s basketball coach $1 million a year. There are some baseball coaches that make more then that. If you are paying your college basketball coach $1 million a year you made the wrong hire to begin with.

Ari Gold
01-22-2018, 12:20 PM
I would have been shocked too. I don’t blame Ray for taking the job. It would have literally been like you or I got the job. We were just as qualified. We paid him $1 million a year for three years. He got $3 million from us for doing just as good of a job as an unqualified fan. The thing that also pisses me off the most as well is we shouldn’t be paying our men’s basketball coach $1 million a year. There are some baseball coaches that make more then that. If you are paying your college basketball coach $1 million a year you made the wrong hire to begin with.

He was interviewing at the time for a mid major job when he got the call from Scott
So yeah to say he was shocked we offered was an understatement .

tcdog70
01-22-2018, 12:25 PM
He was interviewing at the time for a mid major job when he got the call from Scott

you could have stuck a 220 AC up my ass and flipped the switch and I would not have been as shocked. The MSU fan base were dumbfounded.

msstate7
01-22-2018, 12:29 PM

The guy who made that decision is now on the playoff committee. Wonder how long before North Dakota state is the 4-seed in the FBS playoffs

Coach34
01-22-2018, 12:54 PM

Stricklin didnt like the way the program was viewed under Stands. He was looking to change the image and thought we could "do it the right way". It just showed how naive he was/is about college athletics. Terrible decision and we are slowly getting past it.

MarketingBully
01-22-2018, 01:54 PM
The guy who made that decision is now on the playoff committee. Wonder how long before North Dakota state is the 4-seed in the FBS playoffs

That was the dumbest thing I have ever seen. The CFB Playoff to me is the biggest joke I have seen now.

MarketingBully
01-22-2018, 01:56 PM
Stricklin didnt like the way the program was viewed under Stands. He was looking to change the image and thought we could "do it the right way". It just showed how naive he was/is about college athletics. Terrible decision and we are slowly getting past it.

He’s a baffoon and never should have been our athletic director. Glad UF hired him away but truth be told you get fired for those kinds of decisions everywhere else in life. His reward? The UF AD job.

Turfdawg67
01-22-2018, 06:46 PM
I always heard that Scott thought we had Steve Prohm(?) all sewn up and when he backed out and a couple others said no, he panicked and hired Ray. Not that it makes it any better.

MarketingBully
01-23-2018, 12:22 PM
I always heard that Scott thought we had Steve Prohm(?) all sewn up and when he backed out and a couple others said no, he panicked and hired Ray. Not that it makes it any better.

He offered Prohm $1.2 million! That’s insulting. If he had offered him $2 million, Steve Prohm would have been our coach.