PDA

View Full Version : Baseball thread...

Dawg61
01-18-2018, 01:01 PM
anyone wanna take a swing at our starting lineup and rotation? I have no clue just kinda itching to hear some baseball talk on a cold thursday in January.

Coach34
01-18-2018, 01:15 PM
SEC Rotation:

Friday- Pilk
Saturday- Small
Sunday- France

Midweek- I'd throw Denver because he has so much potential- no idea what kind of progress he has made though

louisvilledawg
01-18-2018, 01:32 PM
SEC Rotation:

Friday- Pilk
Saturday- Small
Sunday- France

Midweek- I'd throw Denver because he has so much potential- no idea what kind of progress he has made though

Hopefully cut down on the walks.

Dallas_Dawg
01-18-2018, 02:26 PM
SEC Rotation:

Friday- Pilk
Saturday- Small
Sunday- France

That's pretty 17'ing salty provided Small is as good as the whispers and France can be the Tiger Slayer while wearing maroon. Billingsley and Gordon are pretty solid as well. We look to have the pitching depth needed to do well in the tourneys.

Tbonewannabe
01-18-2018, 03:06 PM
SEC Rotation:

Friday- Pilk
Saturday- Small
Sunday- France

Any chance that Denver plays in the field? Doesn't he supposedly hit with some power?

Commercecomet24
01-18-2018, 03:45 PM
SEC Rotation:

Friday- Pilk
Saturday- Small
Sunday- France

Denver has some nasty stuff! Hope he can harness it cause he can be a shutdown type guy if it all comes together!

biggun
01-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Bats??? What newcomers, transfers, redshirts, etc are we expecting to help us score runs this year?

Power hitters & RBI guys??

BuckyIsAB****
01-18-2018, 04:20 PM
If Stovall has to play catcher like some have said, that worries me a tad. Hope we have some quality depth at INF

Commercecomet24
01-18-2018, 04:22 PM
If Stovall has to play catcher like some have said, that worries me a tad. Hope we have some quality depth at INF

That's the rub, Stovall is a dang good catcher, but he's also our best option at 2B.

Tbonewannabe
01-18-2018, 04:49 PM
That's the rub, Stovall is a dang good catcher, but he's also our best option at 2B.

I guess it is one of the choices that you make on which backup would you rather have in the game, backup catcher or backup 2nd? If Stovall gives you a premium bat while giving you good defense at catcher then it is probably easier to get a 2nd baseman ready to play.

Commercecomet24
01-18-2018, 04:54 PM
I guess it is one of the choices that you make on which backup would you rather have in the game, backup catcher or backup 2nd? If Stovall gives you a premium bat while giving you good defense at catcher then it is probably easier to get a 2nd baseman ready to play.

You're a smart man. Exactly how I would approach it as well.

Todd4State
01-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Fri- Pilkington
Sat- Small
Sun- France
Closer- Self
Midweek- Billingsley

C- Gilbert/Skelton

1B- MacNamee
2B- Stovall
3B- Jordan Westburg/Justin Foscue
SS- LA

LF- Tanner Allen
CF- Mangum
RF- Vansau
DH- Jordan Anderson

BorneDawg
01-18-2018, 06:15 PM
Fri- Pilkington
Sat- Small
Sun- France
Closer- Self
Midweek- Billingsley

C- Gilbert/Skelton

1B- MacNamee
2B- Stovall
SS- LA

LF- Tanner Allen
CF- Mangum
RF- Vansau
DH- Jordan Anderson

This is prob the closest to my guess

Todd4State
01-18-2018, 07:38 PM
This is prob the closest to my guess

I'm not 100% sure on who is at third or DH. Or midweek. I just like Cole Gordon coming out of the bullpen better than I do starting and I like Billingsley better starting than I do coming out of the bullpen based on what I have seen of those two.

Foscue has performed well in scrimmages but Westburg has the higher ceiling. Tanner Poole will play a lot too.

Coach34
01-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Fri- Pilkington
Sat- Small
Sun- France
Closer- Self
Midweek- Billingsley

C- Gilbert/Skelton

1B- MacNamee
2B- Stovall
SS- LA

LF- Tanner Allen
CF- Mangum
RF- Vansau
DH- Jordan Anderson

Denver has better stuff overall than Billingsley. But Denver has a 5 cent head too, so Billingsley may be the safer choice. I pray to the baseball gods we dont have to catch Stovall. I'm a huge believer in being as strong as you can be up the middle- its what great teams do. Magnum in Center, Belmont and Stovall at SS and 2B plus a solid catcher makes us sooooo good defensively. With our pitching- that should be at a premium. Be as good as we can be up the middle.

confucius say
01-18-2018, 08:29 PM
Denver has better stuff overall than Billingsley. But Denver has a 5 cent head too, so Billingsley may be the safer choice. I pray to the baseball gods we dont have to catch Stovall. I'm a huge believer in being as strong as you can be up the middle- its what great teams do. Magnum in Center, Belmont and Stovall at SS and 2B plus a solid catcher makes us sooooo good defensively. With our pitching- that should be at a premium. Be as good as we can be up the middle.

Gilbert is the catcher as of this past week per Cann

Gutter Cobreh
01-18-2018, 08:44 PM

Just reading this gave me flashbacks and a reminder of your obsession with Alexander (aka Belmont)...

Kind of gets me excited for the start baseball season. The only thing I'm missing is MState7 posting and melting after every hit/out/strike/ball/inning/game (you get the point)...

msstate7
01-18-2018, 08:51 PM
The only thing I'm missing is MState7 posting and melting after every hit/out/strike/ball/inning/game (you get the point)...

In the words of C34, it?s coming

Todd4State
01-18-2018, 09:52 PM

Denver does have better stuff than Billingsley but he has to show that he can command his pitches and throw strikes more consistently. Billingsley is your typical fifth year college senior baseball player. He has decent stuff and has pitched in some big games for us and had success- he was the MVP of the Governor's Cup in 2016 and he was clutch against USM in a start in an elimination game on the road for us last year.

Stovall catching just depends on how quickly Gilbert adjusts to the SEC and how much Skelton has progressed.

I agree that most good teams are solid up the middle.

01-18-2018, 10:18 PM
every last one of you knows Tanner Poole gonna start

The Federalist Engineer
01-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Any news on Ashcraft? He was the star recruit of 2017 but had the hip injury.

Homedawg
01-18-2018, 10:55 PM

Hurt again. Out until at least march.

confucius say
01-18-2018, 10:56 PM

Hurt the opposite hip stretching.

Steakonastick
01-18-2018, 11:11 PM
My best guess on what we roll out first game.

C-Gilbert
1B-Macnamee
2B-Stovall
SS- Alexander
3B- Still open but I’m hearing Foscue over westburg
LF-Vansau
CF- Mangum
RF- Poole but in a battle with Anderson and Allen.
DH- Allen

Friday- Pilk
Saturday- France
Sunday- Small

Middle Relief- Gordon, liebelt
Setup-Riley, Neff
Closer-Price

Midweek- billingsley

Ashcraft is banged up again. Hopefully he’s back mid March.

Also, the lofts bid at the end of this month. 12 condos with a party deck up top.

BorneDawg
01-18-2018, 11:28 PM
I'm not 100% sure on who is at third or DH. Or midweek. I just like Cole Gordon coming out of the bullpen better than I do starting and I like Billingsley better starting than I do coming out of the bullpen based on what I have seen of those two.

Foscue has performed well in scrimmages but Westburg has the higher ceiling. Tanner Poole will play a lot too.

Think it will be Foscue at 3rd and Gilbert catching and Anderson in rf

The Federalist Engineer
01-18-2018, 11:29 PM
interesting that your 9-deep pitching staff does not include Cole Marsh, T. Barlow, or McQuary

McQuary was an SEC starter as late as the Georgia Series last year.

Barlow has been twice selected for Cape Cod summer ball, gotta be some significant talent there, no?

Steakonastick
01-18-2018, 11:41 PM
interesting that your 9-deep pitching staff does not include Cole Marsh, T. Barlow, or McQuary

Barlow has been twice selected for Cape Cod summer ball, gotta be some significant talent there, no?

Barlow, and McQuary have to learn to throw strikes.

preachermatt83
01-19-2018, 12:02 AM
Noah Hughes and Keegan James not ready to go?

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-19-2018, 12:11 AM
Noah Hughes and Keegan James not ready to go?

Could be wrong but I think Hughes is gone.

preachermatt83
01-19-2018, 12:12 AM

Oh ok. Thanks.

Todd4State
01-19-2018, 12:55 AM

Yep. He's at Hinds CC.

I think we'll probably bring Keegan along slowly.

Todd4State
01-19-2018, 12:57 AM

Barlow and McQuary are just sophomores. They have talent but are still developing. Not sure what we'll get out of Marsh- but I'm expecting him to come out of the bullpen.

Bothrops
01-19-2018, 02:27 AM
What's the latest on Breaux?

Todd4State
01-19-2018, 08:50 AM
What's the latest on Breaux?

He's pitching again but is trying to get his velocity up.

The Federalist Engineer
01-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Wonder if college pitchers are getting this TJ procedure now

https://www.mlb.com/news/new-procedure-could-be-tommy-john-alternative/c-233867508