PDA

View Full Version : Saban, Freeze & The Tuscaloosa News....

TUSK
01-17-2018, 01:16 PM
https://www.tidesports.com/latest-alabama-hugh-freeze-coaching-staff/

Freeze attack
Earlier this week, I reported that former Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze had been in Tuscaloosa and at UA to meet with Saban. Saban respects Freeze’s offensive mind, and given the fact Ole Miss gave Alabama fits during Freeze’s tenure it’s easy to see why. So what would Freeze’s role be if Saban hired him? It’s a great question and one that, as of Tuesday morning, hadn’t been settled upon yet. Saban is really pushing for Freeze to be an on-the-field coach, The Tuscaloosa News has learned. Others in the program don’t want that happening. How much autonomy Saban has in this particular situation is unknown given Freeze’s recent history with the NCAA. Another aspect to this is that should Alabama decided to hire Freeze as an on-the-field coach, it would likely need the blessing of SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. Sankey isn’t keen on that happening, The Tuscaloosa News has learned. At the moment, Mike Locksley appears to be in good position to land the offensive coordinator job, but nothing is certain. Normally the offensive coordinator works with the quarterbacks. Locksley is currently the wide receivers coach. As you can see, there are lots of moving parts at the moment and that speaks to how much Saban wants to or is open to shaking up the staff. Chris Weinke could be a candidate to coach wide receivers or quarterbacks should he get an on-the-field position. Freeze could do either, too, if he gets the nod. Freeze could also end up as an analyst, which is what most people are speculating as the most likely result. Again, right now things are moving quickly and nothing is decided.

Dallas_Dawg
01-17-2018, 01:20 PM
I have some OM friends that swore that Bama was behind the NCAA sniffing around cuz they beat em two years in a row.... If Freeze ends up at Bama, they will cry a bucket of tears. I kind of wish it would happen for this reason only. Bama is gonna Bama no matter if Freeze is the OC or not.

Commercecomet24
01-17-2018, 01:44 PM
I'm picturing bucky and saban on the sideline after bucky calling 50 bubble screens and costing them a game and this happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV2DLkDPwM8

Token Bammer
01-17-2018, 01:50 PM
Do. Not. Want.

Commercecomet24
01-17-2018, 01:53 PM
Do. Not. Want.

You're a wise man. It's honestly hard to believe saban wanting him.

Token Bammer
01-17-2018, 01:57 PM
You're a wise man. It's honestly hard to believe saban wanting him.

It's honestly disappointing. Jmo

Commercecomet24
01-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Yeah it doesn't really add up. Saban could have the pick of the litter, so to speak, and he want's freeze? Kinda odd.

TUSK
01-17-2018, 02:01 PM

Ditto... I hope it doesn't happen and I hope it's not a big deal to MDL...

TrapGame
01-17-2018, 02:04 PM
This could blow up in Saban's face.

Commercecomet24
01-17-2018, 02:08 PM
freeze will be bama's coach in waiting lol!

NCDawg
01-17-2018, 02:11 PM
If Saban really wants Freeze, I'm sure he will hire him. Whatever Saban wants at Alabama, I'm sure he will get. After all, the NCAA really didn't hit Ole Miss and Freeze too hard, despite all the rules and ethical violations.

TUSK
01-17-2018, 02:17 PM
This could blow up in Saban's face.

I don't think a hire of Freeze would, but, if (for some reason) Saban wants Freeze, and doesn't get him, that might cause a "blow up"...

DogsofAnarchy
01-17-2018, 02:22 PM
You people taking the “high moral tone” about Freeze is hilarious! The NCAA has all but said that they don’t care. Commissioner Stankey is absolutely to weak to give a tinkers damn. If I’m Bama I make the hire, because in reality the NCAA has created this monster by saying Hugh Baby did nothing wrong. Now we all know he did but when the NCAA elected not to do anything about it, then that’s the rules we ALL play by now. Wild Wild West...anything goes.

shannondawg
01-17-2018, 02:30 PM
Who gives a shit? I don't.

Bully13
01-17-2018, 02:32 PM
The NCAA is a joke

Would like to see a it happen just lol at those paid for 17s.

parabrave
01-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Saban wants AJ really bad. Everybody outside of Oxford and Bristol knows how Bana lost those games. 1st one was on Kiffen and/or Saban by abandoning the running game at the beginning of the 3rd QTR. Bama was getting ready to get 21 points and they start passing. 2nd one 5 turnovers around your own 20 yardline and a fluke play your gonna lose everytime..

TrapGame
01-17-2018, 02:44 PM
Saban set the whole thing up with the NCAA just to get Hugh Freeze as his OC.**

Nick Saban's chess pieces are real people!

Spiderman
01-17-2018, 02:46 PM
freeze will be bama's coach in waiting lol!

He will for sure look for anyway to play both sides of anything with Saban and Bama. A certain SEC coach didn't call him a "backstabbing little shit" for no reason.

Jack Lambert
01-17-2018, 02:46 PM
Do. Not. Want.

It could end up being Saban's first misstep as Bama head coach.

QuadrupleOption
01-17-2018, 02:54 PM
I'm not trying to be snarky but why would Saban respect Freeze's offensive mind? I was under the impression that the Freeze offense was exceedingly simple and required three things:
1) A QB who could sling the ball and run it when needed (Wallace, Kelly, and Patterson all fit this mold)
2) WRs that are really athletic and can make circus catches (Treadwell, Brown, and a host of others)
3) Good to great OL prospects to give #1 and #2 time to make plays.

Given that it boiled down to having talent I can't imagine that he's known for scheming his way into victories. This article really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Am I missing something? Can someone with actual X and O knowledge of the game chime in here, because I admit I don't know a lot about scheming offense but I know that Freeze's didn't seem that complicated.

Political Hack
01-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Can you imagine how great it would be if he could destroy both ole miss and Bama for us in less than a decade?

Commercecomet24
01-17-2018, 03:08 PM
He will for sure look for anyway to play both sides of anything with Saban and Bama. A certain SEC coach didn't call him a "backstabbing little shit" for no reason.

You got that right!

basedog
01-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Who gives a shit? I don't.

+1

Dawgface
01-17-2018, 03:59 PM
I can't believe Greg Byrne would be in favor of it. Not that it matters as I'm sure Saban has more say in football hirings. But if Saban truly wants Freeze and somehow gets overruled, he won't be happy. Perhaps it would speed up retirement. We can only hope. ;)

TUSK
01-17-2018, 04:26 PM
I'm not trying to be snarky but why would Saban respect Freeze's offensive mind? I was under the impression that the Freeze offense was exceedingly simple and required three things:
1) A QB who could sling the ball and run it when needed (Wallace, Kelly, and Patterson all fit this mold)
2) WRs that are really athletic and can make circus catches (Treadwell, Brown, and a host of others)
3) Good to great OL prospects to give #1 and #2 time to make plays.

Given that it boiled down to having talent I can't imagine that he's known for scheming his way into victories. This article really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Am I missing something? Can someone with actual X and O knowledge of the game chime in here, because I admit I don't know a lot about scheming offense but I know that Freeze's didn't seem that complicated.

I've asked myself the same thing... Being that all 3 of those pieces are already in place, maybe Freeze will be Bammer's "Let's throw some shit at the wall and see if we get a big play" consultant... Hell, I'd be aight with that as long as we still ran it down opposing teams' throats, when able...

Again, I'm not advocating the man's hire as OC, just trying to figure out what's going on...

AROB44
01-17-2018, 05:02 PM
Can you imagine how great it would be if he could destroy both ole miss and Bama for us in less than a decade?

+1. Rep given

turkish
01-17-2018, 05:18 PM
I missed Ole Miss being destroyed.

nicks_hammer
01-17-2018, 07:54 PM
https://www.tidesports.com/latest-alabama-hugh-freeze-coaching-staff/

Freeze attack
Earlier this week, I reported that former Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze had been in Tuscaloosa and at UA to meet with Saban. Saban respects Freeze?s offensive mind, and given the fact Ole Miss gave Alabama fits during Freeze?s tenure it?s easy to see why. So what would Freeze?s role be if Saban hired him? It?s a great question and one that, as of Tuesday morning, hadn?t been settled upon yet. Saban is really pushing for Freeze to be an on-the-field coach, The Tuscaloosa News has learned. Others in the program don?t want that happening. How much autonomy Saban has in this particular situation is unknown given Freeze?s recent history with the NCAA. Another aspect to this is that should Alabama decided to hire Freeze as an on-the-field coach, it would likely need the blessing of SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. Sankey isn?t keen on that happening, The Tuscaloosa News has learned. At the moment, Mike Locksley appears to be in good position to land the offensive coordinator job, but nothing is certain. Normally the offensive coordinator works with the quarterbacks. Locksley is currently the wide receivers coach. As you can see, there are lots of moving parts at the moment and that speaks to how much Saban wants to or is open to shaking up the staff. Chris Weinke could be a candidate to coach wide receivers or quarterbacks should he get an on-the-field position. Freeze could do either, too, if he gets the nod. Freeze could also end up as an analyst, which is what most people are speculating as the most likely result. Again, right now things are moving quickly and nothing is decided.

All joking aside, if Freeze were to ever be given free reign with the offensive talent at bama, it would be hell to pay for any defense to stop them. Say what you want about him but he did produce points and yardage.

NCDawg
01-17-2018, 09:01 PM
I missed Ole Miss being destroyed.

They are a long ways from being destroyed. All they got was a little wrist slap from the NCAA despite all the predictions about how they were going to be really hit hard.

msstate7
01-17-2018, 09:05 PM
All joking aside, if Freeze were to ever be given free reign with the offensive talent at bama, it would be hell to pay for any defense to stop them. Say what you want about him but he did produce points and yardage.

The worst part of facing bama under saban has always been facing their defense. If freeze were allowed to run the offense his way, their defense would be on the field a ton.

msstate7
01-17-2018, 09:13 PM
They are along ways from being destroyed. All they got was a little wrist slap from the NCAA despite all the predictions about how they were going to be really hit hard.
Certainly could have been hit harder, but they got hit in a few ways:

1. Here are their recruiting rankings since 2013: 8th, 15th, 17th, 5th, 31st, 37th

2. This will be their 3rd straight year without a bowl.

3. They lost freeze.

4. The transfers they are losing will take its toll now that the recruiting has really taken a hit. 2019 is almost certainly another year without a bowl

TUSK
01-17-2018, 11:02 PM
They are a long ways from being destroyed. All they got was a little wrist slap from the NCAA despite all the predictions about how they were going to be really hit hard.

"destroyed"? No.

"hamstrung"? Yes.

"hamstrung" for a program like that = 1-7 in the SEC (3-5 in a really, really, good year)...

Political Hack
01-17-2018, 11:04 PM
"destroyed"? No.

"hamstrung"? Yes.

"hamstrung" for a program like that = 1-7 in the SEC (3-5 in a really, really, good year)...

Yeah. They’re going to struggle in the SEC West for the foreseeable future.

Commercecomet24
01-17-2018, 11:04 PM
"destroyed"? No.

"hamstrung"? Yes.

This.

Todd4State
01-17-2018, 11:58 PM
This makes me think that Saban is looking to win and get out soon to be honest with you. Get a high powered offense that's easy to learn and then focus on whatever you want to.

Either way this could be the beginning of the end becasue Saban will either hire Freeze and it will blow up in his face or Bama will say no to Freeze and it will piss him off.

msstate7
01-18-2018, 12:07 AM
This makes me think that Saban is looking to win and get out soon to be honest with you. Get a high powered offense that's easy to learn and then focus on whatever you want to.

Either way this could be the beginning of the end becasue Saban will either hire Freeze and it will blow up in his face or Bama will say no to Freeze and it will piss him off.

Locksley, not freeze

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/reports-alabama-expected-to-promote-mike-locksley-to-offensive-coordinator/amp/