PDA

View Full Version : Serious football question about Joe Moorhead.......

99jc
01-13-2018, 10:10 PM
I have mixed feelings don't know if this is a good hire or not time will tell but here is the question.

With all we have coming back Moorhead gets a loaded team what is your true expectations wins and losses next season? And if State goes say 8-5 or 9-4 will you feel that Moorhead has totally under achieved. My personal feelings are anything under 10-2 regular season is a bust 8-5 and we made a wrong hire. And we better not have a major drop off on defense. To me this season will define him as a head coach simply for the fact he was gift wrapped the best team we have had in years.

drummerdawg
01-13-2018, 10:13 PM
I was going to say the floor is 9-3 before Dan left. Since we have a new staff I'll lower it to 8-4 since we don't know what to expect. But I think we're at least 8-4 and probably get to 9+ wins if everyone adjusts well.

Maroonthirteen
01-13-2018, 10:17 PM
I think he will kick ass to start. For sure. I worry more about 3-4 years from now when we have 40 wrs on scholarship and no linemen.

Coach34
01-13-2018, 10:22 PM
2018 is a 10 win team at worst

Todd4State
01-13-2018, 10:26 PM
I think based on what we have coming back and the schedule...

I'm going 8-4 as the floor and 12-0 as the ceiling with 9-3 or 10-2 as a reasonable expectation.

We have a veteran team with a senior QB, RB, C, and our MLB will be a RS Jr. or RS So. and two Sr safeties. A lot of experience plus we addressed our most glaring need in the offseason at WR. For me it's more about the players we have coming back than it is Moorhead. I also think our team is hungry to make amends for last season which while good certainly also had some disappointments as well.

Moorhead has some head coaching experience so that will help.

confucius say
01-13-2018, 10:29 PM

Regular season?

Coach34
01-13-2018, 10:33 PM
Just cant go 8-4 with the kind of team we have in 2018. It will be the best one of my lifetime- and thats getting close to half a century.

Top 5 DL in the Country with depth
Top 10 OL in the Country with depth
2 QB's
Good RB's
Good LB's
Good Safeteys
More talent at WR
CB questions to answer.

Our 2018 team is Auburn 2017. Great in the trenches and good enough at the rest to compete for the SEC title

Only game we wont be favored in 2018 is at Bama.

Tbonewannabe
01-13-2018, 10:34 PM

So best team in MSU history or it is a bust?

99jc
01-13-2018, 10:38 PM
I think it's the best team we have had offense and defense with a good kicker in my history with state since 1968.

Coach34
01-13-2018, 10:39 PM
So best team in MSU history or it is a bust?

WE went 10-2 in 2014. But yes- we will be favored in at least 10 and probably 11 games

drummerdawg
01-13-2018, 10:43 PM
I'm just curious to see how we grasp the new system on both offense and defense. That's why I'm hesitant to predict anything over 9 wins. That and seeing how Fitz recovers from his injury. We've got a little tougher schedule than we did this past year too.

Commercecomet24
01-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Just cant go 8-4 with the kind of team we have in 2018. It will be the best one of my lifetime- and thats getting close to half a century.

Top 5 DL in the Country with depth
Top 10 OL in the Country with depth
2 QB's
Good RB's
Good LB's
Good Safeteys
More talent at WR
CB questions to answer.

Our 2018 team is Auburn 2017. Great in the trenches and good enough at the rest to compete for the SEC title

Only game we wont be favored in 2018 is at Bama.

I agree. I also have watched enough of JoMo offense to know the dude attack?s defenses. He isn?t gonna tuck his balls in against anyone. We may not win every game but I bet we don?t cower on offense like we have at times in the past.

Coach34
01-13-2018, 10:51 PM
We've got a little tougher schedule than we did this past year too.

We played 3 top 10 teams in 2017- two on the road. We won't do that in 2018.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-13-2018, 11:01 PM
thing that worries me is offense having a bad night early while everybody is still getting on the same page. somewhere I heard PSU struggled in the first few games adjusting to his offense. Our defense should be able to win us the first 4 games by themselves, hopefully the offense will be well-oiled by the Mullen game.

Moorhead seems to value a QB that can make quick reads & Fitz has plenty of experience making those reads so I think he'll adapt quickly. Seems like most of Dan's RPOs were at the LOS though, not sure how often he read the safety. Dan said Dak was a graduate level QB in his offense as a RS SR. This is Fitz' year to be a graduate level QB but it's kind of like he switched majors & is taking a semester off (I know he's not really taking the spring off).

Coach34
01-13-2018, 11:07 PM
thing that worries me is offense having a bad night early while everybody is still getting on the same page. somewhere I heard PSU struggled in the first few games adjusting to his offense. Our defense should be able to win us the first 4 games by themselves, hopefully the offense will be well-oiled by the Mullen game.

Moorhead seems to value a QB that can make quick reads & Fitz has plenty of experience making those reads so I think he'll adapt quickly. Seems like most of Dan's RPOs were at the LOS though, not sure how often he read the safety. Dan said Dak was a graduate level QB in his offense as a RS SR. This is Fitz' year to be a graduate level QB but it's kind of like he switched majors & is taking a semester off (I know he's not really taking the spring off).

A) Fitz is a graduate and will be taking fewer classes. More study and film time for him
B) We will still be a Spread Option team
C) We have an experienced, physical OL. We dont have to be tricky early on and can rely on our OL while the QB/WR's grow into the offense
D) Having a veteran OL will hope JoMo adapt to SEC the speed on the DL's he only sees when playing Ohio State

Cooterpoot
01-13-2018, 11:10 PM
10 wins is the floor? LOL! All new staff and schemes. Y’all counting on freshmen WRs and a juco transfer. Don’t know if Fitz is good after injury. Our corners still aren’t strong. 8 is the floor. 10+ is if everything goes about perfect.

Todd4State
01-13-2018, 11:12 PM
I'm just curious to see how we grasp the new system on both offense and defense. That's why I'm hesitant to predict anything over 9 wins. That and seeing how Fitz recovers from his injury. We've got a little tougher schedule than we did this past year too.

I'm not too worried about it because of the experience our players have. It looks to me from my untrained eye that the major difference between Dan and Joe's offense is the pass route system- our WR's are mostly new and were going to have to learn our offense anyway. We also have a WR coach who sounds like a WR guru. I expect Nick to run it less which may be a good thing- it was pretty common for our QB to get banged up if not hurt under Dan. Fitz broke his leg and that is an injury that even non-athletes are normally able to recover from in a few months.

I think we have an advantage because Joe's offense is pretty unique and I don't think very many if any of the teams on our schedule have seen it or know quite how to defend it. I also think/hope we will be playing the best guys on both sides of the ball for the first time in awhile- which was a big reason why Dan failed to pull off very many upsets I think.

Our guys have switched schemes every year since 2014 so they're used to it by now.

I agree with Coach about the schedule. We had to play three NYD 6 teams last year including 2 on the road. K-State worries me becasue they are a good team and that could be a trap game for us on the road. Otherwise I like how the schedule sets up for the most part.

Coach34
01-13-2018, 11:16 PM
10 wins is the floor? Yes it is...LOL! All new staff and schemes- absolutely, will do nothing but make us better. Y’all counting on freshmen WRs and a juco transfer- 2 of whom are going thru Spring plus Dear, Mixon, Todd, and Couch getting better. Plus Jesse J can play some. Don’t know if Fitz is good after injury- he has 9 full months to recover before he plays a snap- and KT can also win a game if needed. . Our corners still aren’t strong- this is correct. 8 is the floor- 8 wins would be the same as this year with 17 starters returning next year. That would be complete underachievement. Look what Georgia did with 17 starters returning? 10+ is if everything goes about perfect.

answers in bold

Coach34
01-13-2018, 11:19 PM
our defense switched schemes in 2017 and it didnt seem to bother them did it?

We will do at least 50% of the same things under JoMo that we did under Mullen

Todd4State
01-13-2018, 11:21 PM
10 wins is the floor? LOL! All new staff and schemes. Y’all counting on freshmen WRs and a juco transfer. Don’t know if Fitz is good after injury. Our corners still aren’t strong. 8 is the floor. 10+ is if everything goes about perfect.

Not necessarily on the WR's- I could see Todd and Couch making big strides under Getsy. He's the guy they need. Add in the talent- and it will be an upgrade. Heath is an UA AA and Jason probably should have been. There is no reason why they shouldn't have the same impact a typical freshman WR at Ole Miss should have in year one.

If Fitz doesn't recover from this injury, our training staff should be fired. Like immediately. I'm in healthcare and a student should be able to help Fitz adequately recover. Much less a pro that has been doing it for years. There is no reason to worry about it. Plus when I saw Fit walking around at the Gator Bowl with a boot on and no crutches- that's a very good sign and means he is ahead of the curve on recovering.

Our corners aren't that bad. Peters will get drafted and has a lot of experience and makes plays. Dantzler had some good moments and was just a freshman. He will get even better as his career goes along. Brian Cole was an Army AA and might be an option as well. More importantly they're going to have a badass front seven applying pressure and causing havoc which should make their job easier.

Bothrops
01-13-2018, 11:25 PM
Literally my only concern with next year's team is the defense. It should be the best we've ever had, but it could also run off the rails with the new DC. We'll know early on.

Moorhead's offense will be the best in the history of MSU.

99jc
01-13-2018, 11:29 PM
I am beginning to think cooterpoot is a reb...his post are always negative on all sports. Where is enforcer at.

drummerdawg
01-13-2018, 11:29 PM
We played 3 top 10 teams in 2017- two on the road. We won't do that in 2018.

So who are your 2 losses to?

Coach34
01-13-2018, 11:33 PM
So who are your 2 losses to?

I dont think we are going to lose

Todd4State
01-13-2018, 11:38 PM
Literally my only concern with next year's team is the defense. It should be the best we've ever had, but it could also run off the rails with the new DC. We'll know early on.

I think Shoop was a good hire. The one thing we couldn't do was hire someone like a Sirmon that is inexperienced. Shoop has a lot of SEC experience and really the only place he struggled at was Tennessee.

dogshiek
01-13-2018, 11:45 PM
Just beat that smug bastard at auburn and that fat bastard at umiss.

starkvegasdawg
01-13-2018, 11:48 PM
That?s why it blew my mind when the traitor walked out on this team. I just knew he would want to hang around at least for next season to see what he could do with that level of talent. But now I?m glad he left. I think the traitor leaving gave this team the chip on their shoulder constantly pissed off attitude to show that yankee prick he messed up more than he could ever possibly imagine. I think this team wants him sitting in his lazy boy in early January 2019 watching us play in the playoffs while he sits there in Gainsville eating sausage balls with Megan telling him what a colossal dumbass he is because he went 8-4 and now she has to do all her shopping with amazon prime and Kroger clicklist.

Todd4State
01-13-2018, 11:52 PM
Just beat that smug bastard at auburn and that fat bastard at umiss.

I just want our guys to kick someone's ass if someone cheap shots them. Dan just stood around with his thumb up his ass.

preachermatt83
01-13-2018, 11:53 PM
I honestly think we go 11-1

Liverpooldawg
01-13-2018, 11:54 PM

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Todd4State
01-13-2018, 11:55 PM
That?s why it blew my mind when the traitor walked out on this team. I just knew he would want to hang around at least for next season to see what he could do with that level of talent. But now I?m glad he left. I think the traitor leaving gave this team the chip on their shoulder constantly pissed off attitude to show that yankee prick he messed up more than he could ever possibly imagine. I think this team wants him sitting in his lazy boy in early January 2019 watching us play in the playoffs while he sits there in Gainsville eating sausage balls with Megan telling him what a colossal dumbass he is because he went 8-4 and now she has to do all her shopping with amazon prime and Kroger clicklist.

Dan would have underachieved with our team in 2018. Would probably redshirt Heath and Whop. Would have tucked tail against Alabama and would have been looking for a job Egg Bowl week again for the third year in a row. I think Dan leaving was a complete blessing and I wish it had happened after 2015.

Goldendawg
01-14-2018, 12:07 AM
Dan would have underachieved with our team in 2018. Would probably redshirt Heath and Whop. Would have tucked tail against Alabama and would have been looking for a job Egg Bowl week again for the third year in a row. I think Dan leaving was a complete blessing and I wish it had happened after 2015.

I agree 100% and the 2018 team will show although Dan did some good things, MSU helps brings victories above and beyond his selfish lack of effort at the end of almost every year he was here. Hail our players! Hail all True Maroon State Fans! Hail State in 2018 and Always!

Commercecomet24
01-14-2018, 12:18 AM

Yep.

DogsofAnarchy
01-14-2018, 12:54 AM
I have mixed feelings don't know if this is a good hire or not time will tell but here is the question.

With all we have coming back Moorhead gets a loaded team what is your true expectations wins and losses next season? And if State goes say 8-5 or 9-4 will you feel that Moorhead has totally under achieved. My personal feelings are anything under 10-2 regular season is a bust 8-5 and we made a wrong hire. And we better not have a major drop off on defense. To me this season will define him as a head coach simply for the fact he was gift wrapped the best team we have had in years.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re just full of shit. 7-5 or above and Coach has done his job. That doesn’t mean that we don’t have the potential but we play a damn tough schedule and nothing will come easy. There is No gift wrapped team. People who never played make the mistake of thinking just because we were good last year means we will be good next year. Football is not that way. Every team is different. I will be completely happy with 8-4 but I think we could go 10-2. Will I judge Joe Moorhead in 1 year? Hell no!!! And if you do then you’re an idiot. Sorry.

BrunswickDawg
01-14-2018, 01:15 AM

Dan might have been able to keep Heath, he wouldn’t have landed Whop.

Coach34
01-14-2018, 01:19 AM
Dan might have been able to keep Heath, he wouldn’t have landed Whop.

Coach Austin landed Heath- Mullen and Moorhead had zero to do with it

Coach34
01-14-2018, 01:22 AM
I honestly think we go 11-1

Winning at Bama will be tough- but we are FINALLY good enough in the trenches to pull it off in 2018. Will we? I dont know. But we are finally good enough to have a chance

Coach34
01-14-2018, 01:25 AM
Don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re just full of shit. 7-5 or above and Coach has done his job. .

Holy Lord no. 7-5 and the guy should be fired. We have a top 10 football team in 2018. Orgeron could coach this team to 10 wins. You cant **** this up if you tried

msbulldog
01-14-2018, 03:22 AM

Nope not 2015. Stricklin would have 17ed up the hire.

BuckyIsAB****
01-14-2018, 03:26 AM

I agree. Anything below 10 wins is a bust.

Only exception would be say if we lose a game on the final play and finish with 9 wins. As bad as those hurt unless its something egregious, hard to hold hard fought losses against anyone.

Gutter Cobreh
01-14-2018, 08:28 AM
Top 10 OL in the Country with depth.

Honest question - how did this happen? All I've read since I joined were that we missed on guys, how few OL we've taken in the last few classes, how this group has sucked overall, etc., etc. - yet now we magically have depth where we are Top 10 in the country?? This doesn't add up to me so looking for clarity.

99jc
01-14-2018, 08:33 AM
Don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re just full of shit. 7-5 or above and Coach has done his job. That doesn’t mean that we don’t have the potential but we play a damn tough schedule and nothing will come easy. There is No gift wrapped team. People who never played make the mistake of thinking just because we were good last year means we will be good next year. Football is not that way. Every team is different. I will be completely happy with 8-4 but I think we could go 10-2. Will I judge Joe Moorhead in 1 year? Hell no!!! And if you do then you’re an idiot. Sorry.

We are discussing MSU not Ole Miss ....7-5 you have lost your mind

msstate7
01-14-2018, 08:36 AM
We are discussing MSU not Ole Miss ....7-5 you have lost your mind

I am not nearly as wooly as some here, but no way we should be 7-5. If we go 7-5, we swung and missed on Moorhead imo

Dawgface
01-14-2018, 08:47 AM
10 wins is the floor? LOL! All new staff and schemes. Y?all counting on freshmen WRs and a juco transfer. Don?t know if Fitz is good after injury. Our corners still aren?t strong. 8 is the floor. 10+ is if everything goes about perfect.
Agree.

I dont think we are going to lose

You must have been heavily in the bourbon last night.

Honest question - how did this happen? All I've read since I joined were that we missed on guys, how few OL we've taken in the last few classes, how this group has sucked overall, etc., etc. - yet now we magically have depth where we are Top 10 in the country?? This doesn't add up to me.

Ain't that the truth. Nothing but bitching and moaning about the recruitment of OL and now we're top 10 with depth?

msstate7
01-14-2018, 08:52 AM
There is no doubt we were a very good oline that returns a ton. I do have concerns with us changing oline coach/offensive system. Our olinemen were not big time recruits, so will they fit the new offensive scheme? Hopefully they were not just perfect for Mullen/hev system.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2018, 09:00 AM
Don?t take this the wrong way, but you?re just full of shit. 7-5 or above and Coach has done his job. That doesn?t mean that we don?t have the potential but we play a damn tough schedule and nothing will come easy. There is No gift wrapped team. People who never played make the mistake of thinking just because we were good last year means we will be good next year. Football is not that way. Every team is different. I will be completely happy with 8-4 but I think we could go 10-2. Will I judge Joe Moorhead in 1 year? Hell no!!! And if you do then you?re an idiot. Sorry.

I hear USM is looking for an 11th fan.

Saying what you said doesn?t make you ?measured? with ?perspective?. It means your scared

Coach34
01-14-2018, 01:12 PM
Honest question - how did this happen? All I've read since I joined were that we missed on guys, how few OL we've taken in the last few classes, how this group has sucked overall, etc., etc. - yet now we magically have depth where we are Top 10 in the country?? This doesn't add up to me so looking for clarity.

State in 2017:

Sacks allowed? 5th in the Country
Tackles for loss allowed? 14th in the Country
3rd Down Coversions? 8th in the Country (OL doesnt let you get behind the chains)

We return every offensive lineman but 1. We return every TE but 1. Plus add redshirts

BuckyIsAB****
01-14-2018, 02:16 PM
O ye of little faith

yjnkdawg
01-14-2018, 02:30 PM
I think he will kick ass to start. For sure. I worry more about 3-4 years from now when we have 40 wrs on scholarship and no linemen.

I hope you are kidding on that comment. He is not the HC at OM.

Commercecomet24
01-14-2018, 03:20 PM
There is no doubt we were a very good oline that returns a ton. I do have concerns with us changing oline coach/offensive system. Our olinemen were not big time recruits, so will they fit the new offensive scheme? Hopefully they were not just perfect for Mullen/hev system.

Delete

MeridianDog
01-15-2018, 04:27 PM
The wool is certainly thick in here.

As Bad as I want to say 10 I am more comfortable with 9 Ws.

Coach Mo has been given a wonderful gift for an incoming HC. I hope he puts his gift to good use and does the unthinkable - that which will not be said, even with his MoJo. Now if he will just buy some maroon clothing.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-15-2018, 04:40 PM
What's the chance that Morehead is Bret Bilema 2.0? A nice guy, but can't cut it in the SEC.

thf24
01-15-2018, 04:47 PM
What's the chance that Morehead is Bret Bilema 2.0? A nice guy, but can't cut it in the SEC.

Moorhead's offensive philosophy isn't firmly rooted in the 80's-90's, for one.

MeridianDog
01-15-2018, 04:48 PM

No, he will earn his money and more. I want the unmentionable 4-6 games. As many of them as possible.

Jack Lambert
01-15-2018, 05:02 PM

Bear Bryant is going to have to roll over in his coffin to hide the hard on he's going to get when this defense comes to Bryant Denny. We have talent, debth and a experience coach. I think his probably at Tenn was Butch Jones. Just by Jones actions while there with the rape case and his action after leaving proves he is a dry dick in the ass hole and probably a dick head to work for.

Tbonewannabe
01-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Agree.

You must have been heavily in the bourbon last night.

Ain't that the truth. Nothing but bitching and moaning about the recruitment of OL and now we're top 10 with depth?

Most people have bitched about the amount of OL that we have signed. We actually have signed 3 and 4 star lineman with Rankin being a 4 borderline 5 star. We have just finally hit on them panning out and not getting hurt. The biggest issue was signing 1 to 3 High school Oline. Jake Thomas was a 4 star that just didn't work out, Robinson was a 4 star that didn't work out, it seemed like all the high rated guys we got never worked out. The last few years we had 2 or 3 star guys with a possible walk on. Hev could make those guys into serviceable but going against Bama and LSU Dlines, they looked like 2 stars. This year our worst lineman was a 3 star and we had 4 star guys also. It was never debated that Hev was a good coach but all of the sudden we stood toe to toe with Bama. We finally had comparable talent on the Oline. If either Eiland or Reese had flamed out like our previous 4 stars then we would have been looking at 6 to 7 wins max and the Bama game would have been a slaughter.

TrapGame
01-15-2018, 05:30 PM

Just the staff he has put together puts that chance at 0%. And offensively Moorhead is a Mensa member compared to Fat Bert.

Commercecomet24
01-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Just the staff he has put together puts that chance at 0%. And offensively Moorhead is a Mensa member compared to Fat Bert.

Truth. Listening to Coach JoMo talk you get the impression that he's fairly intelligent and knows what he's doing. Anyone ever get that impression from, Bert? Bert seems like the big, goofy uncle, who's a nice guy, but you don't want him trust him with anything that requires thinking.

Coach34
01-15-2018, 05:38 PM
Bert's a good coach but he didnt recruit well enough to keep his job at UPig- especially defensively. Being nice had nothing to do with it. UPig was well-coached most Saturdays- they just lacked the overall talent to break thru

JoMo is inheriting a Top 10 team. What he does with it after 2018 will define him. He has to build on the momentum- not fall back

Commercecomet24
01-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Bert's a good coach but he didnt recruit well enough to keep his job at UPig- especially defensively. Being nice had nothing to do with it. UPig was well-coached most Saturdays- they just lacked the overall talent to break thru

JoMo is inheriting a Top 10 team. What he does with it after 2018 will define him. He has to build on the momentum- not fall back

They may have been well coached fundamentally but he made some dang headscratching decisions and play calls during games the whole time he was at arky.

MeridianDog
01-15-2018, 05:47 PM

This

TUSK
01-15-2018, 06:57 PM
I look at it like a 3 game season that'll decide between 8-4 & 11-1.... (assuming yall don't run into a buzzsaw along the way)... O/U at 9 or 9.5, maybe???

Sept. 29 Florida
Oct. 6 Auburn
Oct. 13 Idle
Oct. 20 at LSU

TrapGame
01-15-2018, 09:53 PM
Truth. Listening to Coach JoMo talk you get the impression that he's fairly intelligent and knows what he's doing. Anyone ever get that impression from, Bert? Bert seems like the big, goofy uncle, who's a nice guy, but you don't want him trust him with anything that requires thinking.

I wouldn't trust him to watch my ham sandwich or my beer while I took a leak.

Commercecomet24
01-15-2018, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't trust him to watch my ham sandwich or my beer while I took a leak.

Awesome! If you watched that segment on secn about him and his wife, either he?s not very bright or he was just acting that way cause he thought it was cute. I?m not sure which is worse.

01-15-2018, 10:29 PM
I look at it like a 3 game season that'll decide between 8-4 & 11-1.... (assuming yall don't run into a buzzsaw along the way)... O/U at 9 or 9.5, maybe???

Sept. 29 Florida
Oct. 6 Auburn
Oct. 13 Idle
Oct. 20 at LSU
LULZ row tie rowww