PDA

View Full Version : Yall need to ease up on the Howland hate

drummerdawg
01-13-2018, 07:53 PM
It seems most of the hate towards Howland comes from people who don't know what they're talking about. Usually their comments either start or end with "I'm not a basketball fan but...", or "I never played but...", it's ridiculous.

I'm not a sunshine pumper, but I'm seeing something totally different than what you guys are.

I'm sick of hearing you non basketball people talking about what we should and shouldn't do, especially regarding coaching. I've even heard yall talk about rather having an x's and o's coach over a recruiter and then bring up Andy f**king Kennedy. The same AK that just lost to Auburn after being up double digits in the 2nd half. Thank God you guys aren't in charge of making hires. AK hasn't done shit. Stop comparing what we do to what om does. They are mediocre and always will be. We have our sights on something bigger. Sure it's frustrating and taking more time than we'd like, but look at Auburn and what they're doing this year. What has Pearl done there until this year? It takes time!

You guys don't realize what Rick MF Ray did to our program. He killed it. Absolutely destroyed it. Howland had NOTHING to work with his 1st year. NOTHING. He did what he could. He went out and got the highest rated player to ever commit to State. Wasn't his fault Mali turned out the way he did. In fact, most fans were glad he was gone and praised Howland for not putting up with it.

So that left us with Q and Holman last year to lead THE youngest team in the country. There were ups and downs but we relied on freshmen and sophomores with a mediocre at best SR PG. Wasn't a great year but we found a way to get to .500 to finish the season.

Then Kegler decides to leave which hurts depth if anything. Again, not Howland's fault. Herard was highly rated because of his size and potential. But he's a soccer player turned basketball player. Now sure you can question why he wasn't improving, but some kids just don't get it. There are certain skills that can't be taught that he obviously lacked. Him leaving hurts depth but will open up possibilities for other guys.

Lamar Peters has potential to be elite. But it's all on him. Sure coaches can "help", but there's only so much a coach can do when it comes dealing with a player's mental state. A lot of yall talk about missing Stansbury but did yall forget all the drama and bs from a lot of his players? Yall forget all the transfers? Lamar can only help Lamar.

Stapleton and Wright just aren't good. I think Wright should move on and Stapleton is a Rick Ray type of player as far as basketball IQ goes.

Nick is what we need and he will become great once he gets settled into his leadership role. He's the guy we've been missing for years. But he's just a freshman.

Q is a great college player but needs to start shifting his leadership responsibilities to his brother and become a great role player like he naturally is.

Peters has that elite potential as I stated earlier.

Ado will only get better and be a great player for us. Don't forget he's a freshman.

Holman is solid. Can't ask much more from him. He'll improve too.

Carter has good basketball IQ, he just forces things sometimes but I like his style and his potential.

Datcher has improved. But will always be a backup.

Feazell will be good for us one day. He's got talent, but he's a freshman.

I'm sure I'm leaving out someone, but this year just is what it is. Still young and relying on young guys to lead. I for one see a lot of maturation and improvements from this team. Just give them some time.

Basketball relies on good players more so than what some of yall think. There are only so many x's and o's that a coach can draw up. It's not really like football where you have coordinators scheming up plays every single down where a lot falls on what the coach draws up. In basketball your players have to go out there and play the game. It's about feel and chemistry. There's a lot of improv that you don't get in a lot of other sports.

Is Howland perfect? No, but nobody is. I'm proud of the defense we've shown this year and to me that says a lot about the coach. You guys just got to lay off a little bit, bitching isn't helping anybody. Still a lot of games left to be played, let's see what happens and then next year I feel like we WILL have that breakout year as long as we don't lose any of our valuable players. This team needs everyone to rally around them. We've got a good AD that WILL do what it takes when it's time. Some you have nothing to lose by supporting this team. One of the hardest things to do as a coach is to keep a positive attitude within the team after losses start to stack up. If you bash the team, coaches, and don't show up to games when you can, you can't expect things to get better. Like I said, Cohen will do the right thing. Just don't give up on these guys (and coach), not yet.

Quaoarsking
01-13-2018, 07:58 PM
It's worth mentioning that Martin and Pearl continued to be mediocre in a high-hopes year 3 before being good later. No guarantee that Howland follows their pattern, but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Bully13
01-13-2018, 08:02 PM
I don't hate him. Hate should be reserved for Stalin, antifa, and commies. I just want him the 17 gone from our basketball program. Not even retained as an assistant.

msstate7
01-13-2018, 08:04 PM
I don't hate him. Hate should be reserved for Stalin, antifa, and commies. I just want him the 17 gone from our basketball program. Not even retained as an assistant.
Nice self control not including liberals haha

BuckyIsAB****
01-13-2018, 08:04 PM
Coordinators very rarely ''draw plays up'' from scratch on a down to down basis. Maybe you see something and make a change to a play you run based on a look but I think the opposite.

Howland could call a play every possession if he wanted to, but I dont think he even knows what he wants to run on offense. We dont have an offensive system.

Its drive recklessly at the hoop or shoot a 3 and hope Ado gets a putback. Thats it

Cooterpoot
01-13-2018, 08:05 PM
Damn

Commercecomet24
01-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Coordinators very rarely ''draw plays up'' from scratch on a down to down basis. Maybe you see something and make a change to a play you run based on a look but I think the opposite.

Howland could call a play every possession if he wanted to, but I dont think he even knows what he wants to run on offense. We dont have an offensive system.

Its drive recklessly at the hoop or shoot a 3 and hope Ado gets a putback. Thats it

This is what I see as well. Absolutely no structure on offense. It?s really hard to watch us not knowing what we are doing on the offensive end. I?m not giving up on Howland yet but dang it?s not looking good.

drummerdawg
01-13-2018, 08:27 PM
This is what I see as well. Absolutely no structure on offense. It?s really hard to watch us not knowing what we are doing on the offensive end. I?m not giving up on Howland yet but dang it?s not looking good.

I remember seeing us have unforced turnovers and Nick get his stuff blocked but I also saw us score in that same offense. The problem we have on offense is that we tend to get cold in the 2nd half. We're still getting the looks, just not making the shots.

Bothrops
01-13-2018, 08:29 PM
It's worth mentioning that Martin and Pearl continued to be mediocre in a high-hopes year 3 before being good later. No guarantee that Howland follows their pattern, but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Howland ain't following the same pattern. Whether we want to or not, we will need to make a change either this year, or most likely next.

MarketingBully
01-13-2018, 08:30 PM
Great perspective. Thanks for posting!

Commercecomet24
01-13-2018, 08:30 PM
I remember seeing us have unforced turnovers and Nick get his stuff blocked but I also saw us score in that same offense. The problem we have on offense is that we tend to get cold in the 2nd half. We're still getting the looks, just not making the shots.

When we go inside we have success but we shoot way to many quick 3?s. Like I said not giving up on Howland yet but it just doesn?t seem like we are improving. I hope we get it turned around quick.

Bothrops
01-13-2018, 08:36 PM
Great guy and great resume, but the writing is on the wall.

Todd4State
01-13-2018, 09:06 PM
Sounds to me like recruiting is a lot of the problem. They're four star guys but it seems like if something they don't like happens to them- which will in a span of four years in college- they pack up and leave. That's a failure to identify character.

And that doesn't include Peters who I have seen responding to fans on Twitter who don't like his play.

I don't think we should bring Stansbury back- but he did do one thing a long time ago that helped us. He kicked off one of our star players- Robert Jackson I think- and it sparked the team. That might be what this team needs- and I would strongly suggest doing that to Peters. If Nick Weatherspoon is our best leader- I say let him lead. Even if he is a freshman.

Dawg61
01-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Great post drummer! Auburn shot lights out in the 2nd half. They'd beat anyone shooting like that.

Mutt the Hoople
01-13-2018, 09:47 PM
..and democrats, liberals, never-trumpers, barack obama.....

Political Hack
01-13-2018, 09:55 PM
I haven’t even entertained the “Howland hate” because it’s beyond ridiculous. He’s bringing this program back from the brink of obscurity. We were nothing just a few short years ago. Now we’re talented and not winning key games, but we’re better and moving in the right direction. Some people just aren’t patient. This group, with a few key additions, could be very special. I’m talking Duke-level depth. And somehow people are ready to piss away that opportunity because of 2 shit losses?

MCsMGs
01-13-2018, 09:55 PM

This reminds me of that saying "It's far better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Coach34
01-13-2018, 10:07 PM
Auburn shot lights out in the 2nd half.

alot of that was our fault

Dawg61
01-13-2018, 10:19 PM
alot of that was our fault

Sure we fouled too much but Brown was on fire and it sparked two other guys. Auburn scored 52 in the 2nd half and probably shot over 60%. Not much you can do when a team full of jump shooters gets that hot.

starkvegasdawg
01-13-2018, 11:35 PM
Is it Howland?s fault we can?t shoot free throws? Is it Howland?s fault we can?t shoot threes yet consistently jack up 20+ a game? Are those his fault or someone else?s?

dawgs
01-13-2018, 11:42 PM

Hate should be reserved for trump, the alt-right, white supremacist, and their enablers.

dawgs
01-13-2018, 11:46 PM
It’s bullshit that this board lets anti-obama/liberal/Democrat shit fly without a blink until someone responds. It’s ****ing horseshit. I’m betting it’s my response that gets the tread locked or moved and that’s bullshit. To be a trump supporter, you are either an asshole troll, an idiot, or willfully ignorant and turning a blind eye because of the dumbass letter in parentheses after his name. Plain and simple.

Liverpooldawg
01-13-2018, 11:50 PM
It seems most of the hate towards Howland comes from people who don't know what they're talking about. Usually their comments either start or end with "I'm not a basketball fan but...", or "I never played but...", it's ridiculous.

I'm not a sunshine pumper, but I'm seeing something totally different than what you guys are.

I'm sick of hearing you non basketball people talking about what we should and shouldn't do, especially regarding coaching. I've even heard yall talk about rather having an x's and o's coach over a recruiter and then bring up Andy f**king Kennedy. The same AK that just lost to Auburn after being up double digits in the 2nd half. Thank God you guys aren't in charge of making hires. AK hasn't done shit. Stop comparing what we do to what om does. They are mediocre and always will be. We have our sights on something bigger. Sure it's frustrating and taking more time than we'd like, but look at Auburn and what they're doing this year. What has Pearl done there until this year? It takes time!

You guys don't realize what Rick MF Ray did to our program. He killed it. Absolutely destroyed it. Howland had NOTHING to work with his 1st year. NOTHING. He did what he could. He went out and got the highest rated player to ever commit to State. Wasn't his fault Mali turned out the way he did. In fact, most fans were glad he was gone and praised Howland for not putting up with it.

So that left us with Q and Holman last year to lead THE youngest team in the country. There were ups and downs but we relied on freshmen and sophomores with a mediocre at best SR PG. Wasn't a great year but we found a way to get to .500 to finish the season.

Then Kegler decides to leave which hurts depth if anything. Again, not Howland's fault. Herard was highly rated because of his size and potential. But he's a soccer player turned basketball player. Now sure you can question why he wasn't improving, but some kids just don't get it. There are certain skills that can't be taught that he obviously lacked. Him leaving hurts depth but will open up possibilities for other guys.

Lamar Peters has potential to be elite. But it's all on him. Sure coaches can "help", but there's only so much a coach can do when it comes dealing with a player's mental state. A lot of yall talk about missing Stansbury but did yall forget all the drama and bs from a lot of his players? Yall forget all the transfers? Lamar can only help Lamar.

Stapleton and Wright just aren't good. I think Wright should move on and Stapleton is a Rick Ray type of player as far as basketball IQ goes.

Nick is what we need and he will become great once he gets settled into his leadership role. He's the guy we've been missing for years. But he's just a freshman.

Q is a great college player but needs to start shifting his leadership responsibilities to his brother and become a great role player like he naturally is.

Peters has that elite potential as I stated earlier.

Ado will only get better and be a great player for us. Don't forget he's a freshman.

Holman is solid. Can't ask much more from him. He'll improve too.

Carter has good basketball IQ, he just forces things sometimes but I like his style and his potential.

Datcher has improved. But will always be a backup.

Feazell will be good for us one day. He's got talent, but he's a freshman.

I'm sure I'm leaving out someone, but this year just is what it is. Still young and relying on young guys to lead. I for one see a lot of maturation and improvements from this team. Just give them some time.

Basketball relies on good players more so than what some of yall think. There are only so many x's and o's that a coach can draw up. It's not really like football where you have coordinators scheming up plays every single down where a lot falls on what the coach draws up. In basketball your players have to go out there and play the game. It's about feel and chemistry. There's a lot of improv that you don't get in a lot of other sports.

Is Howland perfect? No, but nobody is. I'm proud of the defense we've shown this year and to me that says a lot about the coach. You guys just got to lay off a little bit, bitching isn't helping anybody. Still a lot of games left to be played, let's see what happens and then next year I feel like we WILL have that breakout year as long as we don't lose any of our valuable players. This team needs everyone to rally around them. We've got a good AD that WILL do what it takes when it's time. Some you have nothing to lose by supporting this team. One of the hardest things to do as a coach is to keep a positive attitude within the team after losses start to stack up. If you bash the team, coaches, and don't show up to games when you can, you can't expect things to get better. Like I said, Cohen will do the right thing. Just don't give up on these guys (and coach), not yet.
S
I'm a 25 year seAson ticket holder with my dad. We gave them up,when his health failed. This collection of individuals has NO idea of how to run offensive sets. They are painful to watch. I don't have a solution , because I don't think there is one.

starkvegasdawg
01-14-2018, 12:02 AM
It?s bullshit that this board lets anti-obama/liberal/Democrat shit fly without a blink until someone responds. It?s ****ing horseshit. I?m betting it?s my response that gets the tread locked or moved and that?s bullshit. To be a trump supporter, you are either an asshole troll, an idiot, or willfully ignorant and turning a blind eye because of the dumbass letter in parentheses after his name. Plain and simple.

Bathroom is second door on the left so you can go wash that sand out of your vag.

Liverpooldawg
01-14-2018, 12:05 AM
Howland deserves what he is getting. He hasn't done a damn thing to mitigate criticism at MSU.

dawgs
01-14-2018, 12:05 AM
Bathroom is second door on the left so you can go wash that sand out of your vag.

For a crew that refers to the opposition as snowflakes, y’all sure are so insecure y’all can’t pass up the opportunity to make a dumbass, baseless comment attacking liberals/obama/Democrats. It literally happens in pretty much every thread more than a few posts long on this board and usually doesn’t result in anyone saying shit until there’s a response.

And yes, I realize bully13 threw out the extreme left, but there wasn’t exactly a far right equivalent tossed in to balance it out.

starkvegasdawg
01-14-2018, 12:07 AM
For a crew that refers to the opposition as snowflakes, y’all sure are so insecure y’all can’t pass up the opportunity to make a dumbass, baseless comment attacking liberals/obama/Democrats. It literally happens in pretty much every thread more than a few posts long on this board and usually doesn’t result in anyone saying shit until there’s a response.

Maybe stand under the tap. Sounds like you really have it caked in there deep.

msstate7
01-14-2018, 02:16 AM
Is it Howland?s fault we can?t shoot free throws? Is it Howland?s fault we can?t shoot threes yet consistently jack up 20+ a game? Are those his fault or someone else?s?

Besides Q, he recruited every player on the team, so yeah.

msbulldog
01-14-2018, 03:49 AM
I support The Bulldogs including our Coach. Things will get better. Hail State.!

Cooterpoot
01-14-2018, 08:08 AM

And yes, I realize bully13 threw out the extreme left, but there wasn’t exactly a far right equivalent tossed in to balance it out.

Why the 17 you bitching about politics on a sports board? And that’s for anybody on here.

msstate7
01-14-2018, 08:18 AM
Howland ain't following the same pattern. Whether we want to or not, we will need to make a change either this year, or most likely next.

I am as critical as anyone of our basketball team and Lord knows I melt over the games, but come on mane... this is howland year 3, but it is actually year 2 bc howland lost practically everyone year 1. This team has come a long way from last year defensively, but for some reason everyone is shooting the ball worse... perhaps soph slumps. I think you will see this team start to put it together the 2nd half of the sec schedule on the back of 2 freshmen (ado and nick). We will add 3 legit players this offseason, and I fully expect us to be a no doubt NCAA team next season. If carter, Q, and peters snap out of the shooting funk, we could be an NIT/bubble team this season.

drummerdawg
01-14-2018, 08:29 AM
I am as critical as anyone of our basketball team and Lord knows I melt over the games, but come on mane... this is howland year 3, but it is actually year 2 bc howland lost practically everyone year 1. This team has come a long way from last year defensively, but for some reason everyone is shooting the ball worse... perhaps soph slumps. I think you will see this team start to put it together the 2nd half of the sec schedule on the back of 2 freshmen (ado and nick). We will add 3 legit players this offseason, and I fully expect us to be a no doubt NCAA team next season. If carter, Q, and peters snap out of the shooting funk, we could be an NIT/bubble team this season.

I agree. If Carter and Peters were hitting the shots they were last year we'd be a very good team and there wouldn't be as much complaining.

Dawgface
01-14-2018, 08:33 AM
I don't hate him, I just don't care anymore.

dawgs
01-14-2018, 08:33 AM
Why the 17 you bitching about politics on a sports board? And that’s for anybody on here.

Because I’m tired of seeing lame potshots taken at every opportunity by the majority right wing faction of this board with no consequences, yet when there’s a response calling them on it or a similar potshot taken by the minority left wing faction, everyone freaks out about bringing up politics on a sports board. It’s straight up hypocrisy.

dawgs
01-14-2018, 08:39 AM
Lulz I appreciate the rep comment calling me a “dumass”. If you are pissed at me but not at the guy that brought politics into a thread about Howland and the basketball team, then your bias and hypocrisy is showing.

Cooterpoot
01-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Because I’m tired of seeing lame potshots taken at every opportunity by the majority right wing faction of this board with no consequences, yet when there’s a response calling them on it or a similar potshot taken by the minority left wing faction, everyone freaks out about bringing up politics on a sports board. It’s straight up hypocrisy.

Then leave if you don’t like it or go get in the political section of this site. This is the sports section. Go bash Trump and whack off to Obama all you want somewhere else.

Cooterpoot
01-14-2018, 08:49 AM
And that goes for anybody bringing politics on here. Not just one person or one side.

dawgs
01-14-2018, 09:07 AM
Then leave if you don’t like it or go get in the political section of this site. This is the sports section. Go bash Trump and whack off to Obama all you want somewhere else.

The point is I didn’t bring it up and never do, but nothing is done so long as it’s pro-trump/conservative. It’s only after there’s a response that the mods decide to take action and people like you throw a fit about politics in on sports threads. Maybe you added “that goes for anyone” after the fact, but you attacked me and not the original poster that brought in politics so that really tells me that you only care when someone that doesn’t agree with you posts about politics.

Dawg61
01-14-2018, 10:17 AM

Hey Bully13 leave the politics on the political board.

thf24
01-14-2018, 10:31 AM
If you're saying Howland needs to go, then that means you would have fired Frank Martin and Bruce Peal after year three, which in turn means you need to shut the **** up and let this season play out.

I'm glad cooler and better-informed heads are in charge here.

maroonmania
01-14-2018, 12:11 PM

Maybe? I've noticed that no matter what, Kennedy's OM teams are always good FT shooting teams. AK obviously has a lot to do with that in either putting emphasis on it during their practices or in what he looks for in a recruit. You cant have a team that is abysmal in both 3 point shooting and FT shooting and say that the HC has no responsibility for either. I still support Howland but he's got many areas to have this team improve in. Too many players regressing in their shooting ability for it all to be just coincidence.

MarketingBully
01-14-2018, 12:12 PM

Holy cow Msstate7! I 100% agree with your post. I never thought about the sophomore slump but it is entirely possible. With Nick’s increased PG role on the team, it’s entirely possible that as he feels more and more comfortable he will lead this team. We have had a lead at halftime in 3 of our 4 SEC games. We have to learn to finish.

MarketingBully
01-14-2018, 12:22 PM
If you're saying Howland needs to go, then that means you would have fired Frank Martin and Bruce Peal after year three, which in turn means you need to shut the **** up and let this season play out.

I'm glad cooler and better-informed heads are in charge here.

Amen to that! Possibly one of the best players we have ever had is going to enroll next year and some of our fans want to **** it up by firing Howland? Please...also not many SEC teams have a higher collection of talent then we do but we just played two of them in Florida and Auburn. This negative shit all started because we couldn?t make two wide open threes on the road against Ole Miss. Well guess what? Those asshats just beat Florida at the same place we almost won. Get a grip man. Sometimes it takes longer to rebuild when your faced with a program that gave itself a self imposed death penalty for three years.

HancockCountyDog
01-14-2018, 12:32 PM
I just want to watch some meaningful basketball games in February. ITs been about 6 years since that has happened.