PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Stephens (emcc coach)

msstate7
10-01-2013, 09:42 PM
If we offered him offensive cood job, would he take it? I'm thinking we should try.

engie
10-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Possibly. It probably depends on an agreement of how much control he would be given in the offense and playcalling. His philosophy, like Hud's, would align well with Dan's -- if Dan would allow them to mesh together instead of just being a control freak.

Coach34
10-01-2013, 10:27 PM
If we offered him offensive cood job, would he take it? I'm thinking we should try.

why? What do you base this on?

Does he run the offense or does he have a coordinator do it?
Is he a defensive coach by background instead?
What type of recruiter is he?
Is he detailed with his practice plans?
Does he have interest in becoming a coordinator and saying goodbye to his family?
What position is he most comfortable coaching?

msstate7
10-01-2013, 10:41 PM
why? What do you base this on?

Does he run the offense or does he have a coordinator do it?
Is he a defensive coach by background instead?
What type of recruiter is he?
Is he detailed with his practice plans?
Does he have interest in becoming a coordinator and saying goodbye to his family?
What position is he most comfortable coaching?

I base it on his success.

He's an offensive coach.

I don't think Dan would let him run his own offense. Bc of this, I want a guy that can coach up the offense. Stephens can obviously coach.

I don't know about recruiting in juco's, but he's getting elite talent. So whether he's recruiting them in or coaches are just trusting great talent with him speaks well of Stephens.

No idea about practice, but he's doing something right.

Bout leaving family... Scooba to Starkville isn't this far to move.

I just want some new blood in our offense. Les could be easily replaced with an upgrade and I think Stephens would be an upgrade
http://emccathletics.com/sports/fball/coaches/index

msstate7
10-01-2013, 10:41 PM
http://emccathletics.com/sports/fball/coaches/index

Coach34
10-01-2013, 10:59 PM
our offense vs Troy was a beautiful thing. Have you ever thought that having the right QB in your offense makes a huge difference?

We've had a midget in Tyson Lee
A 2-star in Relf who really couldnt throw it very well
And a statue in Tyler Russell

The offense we ran against Troy is perfect- but it takes a mobile QB that can make throws- we are literally getting that for the 1st time in 5 seasons...let it play out

Belegal
10-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Is it true he won 90-7? Did he really kick an on-side kick up 49-0?

msstate7
10-01-2013, 11:06 PM
our offense vs Troy was a beautiful thing. Have you ever thought that having the right QB in your offense makes a huge difference?

The offense we ran against Troy is perfect- but it takes a mobile QB that can make throws- we are literally getting that for the 1st time in 5 seasons...let it play out

You think les is a good coach, coach? I'm not sold. I don't think he's a bad coach, but I feel we can upgrade him with no trouble at all. Stephens may not be a good choice, but we should get someone. I'd like someone who can really coach or recruit. It would be great to find someone who can do both.

Coach34
10-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Les is one of our best recruiters
Les does a good job coaching QB's
Les can gameplan as well as anybody

Les doesnt call plays- it's not his job- we run Mullen's offense, and it is just how he wants it to be

Todd4State
10-02-2013, 12:36 AM
I like Stephens as a coach, but OC? LSU's hired a guy from the BALTIMORE RAVENS to be their OC. We would be hiring a guy from East Mississippi CC because he ran it up on Coahoma CC?

bobcat91
10-02-2013, 01:02 AM

Seeing that he tried to pull a fast one on us last year by getting Cox over to Bama for a visit and that he and Dan aren't on a speaking level for the most part, I'd say no.

Todd4State
10-02-2013, 01:25 AM
Seeing that he tried to pull a fast one on us last year by getting Cox over to Bama for a visit and that he and Dan aren't on a speaking level for the most part, I'd say no.

Excuse my language- but I'm tired of this shit. Dan needs to sack up and get over it. The guy was trying to help his player out- Dan, that's why it's called "recruiting". Dan needs to quit wishing that everyone will stop playing the recruiting game once they commit to MSU and start to live in the real world of recruiting. And that means sometimes you have to keep recruiting a guy to keep them.

msstate7
10-02-2013, 07:31 AM
I like Stephens as a coach, but OC? LSU's hired a guy from the BALTIMORE RAVENS to be their OC. We would be hiring a guy from East Mississippi CC because he ran it up on Coahoma CC?

The best OC in the country (chad Morris) came from high school.

Brahmabull
10-02-2013, 09:32 AM
I can see Mullen's point a little bit w/ Cox. We placed him there. Most JUCO coaches protect the players that are placed there by a school. That doesn't mean the players can't and don't change their mind, but the JUCO coaches try to get them to stick w/ the school that placed them.

engie
10-02-2013, 10:48 AM

Ultimately, Stephens and the coaches at EMCC played a HUGE role in why Cox signed with MSU at the last minute. You can believe that or not.

engie
10-02-2013, 10:50 AM
I can see Mullen's point a little bit w/ Cox. We placed him there. Most JUCO coaches protect the players that are placed there by a school. That doesn't mean the players can't and don't change their mind, but the JUCO coaches try to get them to stick w/ the school that placed them.

In the end, that is EXACTLY what they did. They saved us a total meltdown with Cox at the very last minute that apparently a bunch of you never knew about...

maroonmania
10-02-2013, 01:23 PM
In the end, that is EXACTLY what they did. They saved us a total meltdown with Cox at the very last minute that apparently a bunch of you never knew about...

I would like to start seeing some play out of Cox that makes me understand what the fuss was all about. I know the JUCO transition can take some players a little while to adjust but I kept hearing all this great stuff on Cox and so far he definitely has not anywhere near lived up to the hype.

engie
10-02-2013, 01:27 PM
I would like to start seeing some play out of Cox that makes me understand what the fuss was all about. I know the JUCO transition can take some players a little while to adjust but I kept hearing all this great stuff on Cox and so far he definitely has not anywhere near lived up to the hype.

He's playing a new position that's taken him out of his best element. He needs to move back to FS and I'm betting that he gets moved back after the season.

maroonmania
10-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Excuse my language- but I'm tired of this shit. Dan needs to sack up and get over it. The guy was trying to help his player out- Dan, that's why it's called "recruiting". Dan needs to quit wishing that everyone will stop playing the recruiting game once they commit to MSU and start to live in the real world of recruiting. And that means sometimes you have to keep recruiting a guy to keep them.

I don't know the details here but in general I'm going to disagree with this. If you are a JUCO coach and you have a player that HAS an SEC offer AND has committed to that offer then that player has gotten all the help he needs. Its not like we are an FCS school and the coach was trying to get him an FBS offer from a BCS conference. IF the EMCC coach was somehow working behind the scenes to get Cox a Bama offer, for whatever reason, then he was out of line given the kid had already committed to MSU. There should be some measure of honor between coaching staffs especially if a kid was placed at your school by someone. Now if Cox was working that angle on his own then that's fine. A player has the right to be open to as many offers as he can get.

Political Hack
10-02-2013, 01:46 PM
I was under the impression that Stephens tried to stay out of it and CDM said "hell no, you know the agreement." I think that things were on the verge of getting bad but cooler heads prevailed.

If CDM and Buddy aren't talking to each other, that's news to me. B interested to see if anyone knows for sure.

maroonmania
10-02-2013, 01:50 PM
I was under the impression that Stephens tried to stay out of it and CDM said "hell no, you know the agreement." I think that things were on the verge of getting bad but cooler heads prevailed.

If CDM and Buddy aren't talking to each other, that's news to me. B interested to see if anyone knows for sure.

This sounds more plausible. I can imagine the agreement is something like if you want players from me then get them back to me. If you can't do that I will find a JUCO coach that can. Can't imagine it would be in the best interest of any JUCO coach to sway a kid away from the school that placed him there.

601Dawg
10-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Yet Dan is going with the Statue this weekend.

hacker
10-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Yet Dan is going with the Statue this weekend.

Doubtful.

bulldawg28
10-02-2013, 06:16 PM
He's playing a new position that's taken him out of his best element. He needs to move back to FS and I'm betting that he gets moved back after the season.

He takes bad gambles at corner which keep leading to big plays. I question his football IQ. He's basically playing man, cover 3 and a mixture of cover 2. He hasn't broken up a pass yet. He's thinking too much and its showing.

engie
10-02-2013, 06:45 PM
He takes bad gambles at corner which keep leading to big plays. I question his football IQ. He's basically playing man, cover 3 and a mixture of cover 2. He hasn't broken up a pass yet. He's thinking too much and its showing.

If you had watched him play FS at East, you wouldn't be. He was one of the most instinctive players I'd ever seen in JUCO as a free safety. In a DB corps that included a strong safety that signed with Georgia and Brassell, Cox was unquestionably the leader and star. He's tremendous in run support there and great in over the top pass support as well.

He's having trouble making the jump to CB, where he's having issues with confidence and is not trusting his instincts, which is leading to second guessing and thus huge busted plays.

IMO, once Redmond is activated next week, we will see Cox go back to Safety, where he can be a huge help to us. That's all that makes sense to me for him. He's being wasted as it is -- and it's hurting us too... With Redmond active and 4 pure corners along with a true freshman with a burned redshirt, we can easily afford to put him in his natural position once Redmond is back...

Political Hack
10-02-2013, 07:08 PM
IMO, once Redmond is activated next week, we will see Cox go back to Safety, where he can be a huge help to us. That's all that makes sense to me for him. He's being wasted as it is -- and it's hurting us too... With Redmond active and 4 pure corners along with a true freshman with a burned redshirt, we can easily afford to put him in his natural position once Redmond is back...

I've been hoping this happens as well. If it goes as planned, I think we could end up with the best defense in the SEC outside of Bama.

engie
10-02-2013, 07:11 PM
I've been hoping this happens as well. If it goes as planned, I think we could end up with the best defense in the SEC outside of Bama.

I dunno -- I think UF's more dominant defensively than Bama. Especially given their offensive ineptitude...

msstate7
10-02-2013, 07:13 PM

If cox is good enough to play safety for us, then he should be there now IMO. Nickoe is a liability in coverage.

msstate7
10-02-2013, 07:13 PM
I dunno -- I think UF's more dominant defensively than Bama. Especially given their offensive ineptitude...

Florida definitely the best defense in sec

601Dawg
10-02-2013, 07:43 PM

And still struggle to go 3-5 in the SEC

bulldawg28
10-02-2013, 08:03 PM
If you had watched him play FS at East, you wouldn't be. He was one of the most instinctive players I'd ever seen in JUCO as a free safety. In a DB corps that included a strong safety that signed with Georgia and Brassell, Cox was unquestionably the leader and star. He's tremendous in run support there and great in over the top pass support as well.

He's having trouble making the jump to CB, where he's having issues with confidence and is not trusting his instincts, which is leading to second guessing and thus huge busted plays.

I saw a few clips from juco and he looked outstanding. However, those instincts sound translate. I don't know what the deal is but he looks nothing similar to the juco player on film.

hacker
10-02-2013, 08:06 PM

i-n-s-u-f-f-e-r-a-b-l-e

Coach34
10-02-2013, 08:26 PM

and why no team outside the Big 6 has won the SEC in 51 years- it takes an insane amount of talent to win the league

engie
10-02-2013, 08:33 PM
I saw a few clips from juco and he looked outstanding. However, those instincts sound translate. I don't know what the deal is but he looks nothing similar to the juco player on film.

Mental...

Much like Slay was at first...

engie
10-02-2013, 08:34 PM
and why no team outside the Big 6 has won the SEC in 51 years- it takes an insane amount of talent to win the league

This was 7-8 years before Archie Manning played at Ole Miss -- for those keeping count at home.

6 teams have shared 51 titles in a row...since OM won it by signing EVERYONE in Mississippi in the 60s -- to the tune of 40-50 kids/yr....

CadaverDawg
10-02-2013, 08:41 PM
If cox is good enough to play safety for us, then he should be there now IMO. Nickoe is a liability in coverage.

Yep yep. We are on the same page on this issue. I would go ahead and get his ass moved over because Nickoe could end up killing us starting this weekend. I would put Love, Calhoun, Jiles, and eventually Redmond in the CB rotation, and go ahead and get Cox working at safety. Nickoe has looked slow and out of position lately. He is at least 3 or 4 steps behind anybody he is supposed to be covering, and sadly most of those are tight ends or Troy-esque WR's. It scares the shit out of me to imagine him having to cover Landry or beckham

Political Hack
10-02-2013, 09:01 PM

yeah, I thought about Florida and maybe S. Carolina too just because they've got great talent at a few spots. I still think our front seven with Will, Love, Cox, and Nickoe would be a hell of a line up though. It would be difficult to out perform Florida, especially considering how bad the East is this year compared to the West.

msstate7
10-02-2013, 09:04 PM
yeah, I thought about Florida and maybe S. Carolina too just because they've got great talent at a few spots. I still think our front seven with Will, Love, Cox, and Nickoe would be a hell of a line up though. It would be difficult to out perform Florida, especially considering how bad the East is this year compared to the West.

I'd like to see Florida defense vs aTm. I think Florida is gonna give lsu all they want bc lsu won't score big on Florida and lsu's defense is vulnerable. I think Florida could give lsu their third straight loss.