PDA

View Full Version : MHSAA voting out private schools?

Todd4State
10-01-2013, 06:25 PM
http://www.wjtv.com/story/23581492/mhsaa-could-vote-private-schools-out

This would mean schools like St. Stanislaus and Madison St. Joseph's and Piney Woods would likely have to join the MAIS. Apparently there are only 13-16 such schools in the state.

civilengineerdog
10-01-2013, 06:39 PM
parochial schools were not founded in 1970 like most private schools to exclude Black students. I know that St. Joe and St. Andrews purposely avoided the academy league

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Such a small thinking state. Progress be halted out of jealousy and unfairness!!!!!****

Coach34
10-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Mississippi gonna Mississippi

Decision after decision thru the years to keep the state lagging behind everybody else

Jack Lambert
10-01-2013, 08:08 PM
["A high school principal from northeast Mississippi made the proposal, saying private schools have an unfair advantage in recruiting students."]

Yeah thats what made these Catholic and christian school power houses.

Todd4State
10-01-2013, 08:23 PM
parochial schools were not founded in 1970 like most private schools to exclude Black students. I know that St. Joe and St. Andrews purposely avoided the academy league

You are correct, but the guy in Tishomingo County isn't having any of it.

Coach34
10-01-2013, 08:26 PM
You are correct, but the guy in Tishomingo County isn't having any of it.

isnt Tishimingo County one of the whitest counties in Miss?

SignalToNoise
10-01-2013, 08:55 PM
isnt Tishimingo County one of the whitest counties in Miss?

Yes. I'm from north MS. Tish is white as they come.

CooterDavenport
10-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Is it the Tish County or Belmont principal? (And how do we know it's a Tishomingo County principal? The article just said north MS.)

CooterDavenport
10-01-2013, 09:46 PM
I have answered my own question. It's the Smithville principal, not a Tishomingo County principal: http://www.clarionledger.com/viewart/20131001/SPORTS06/131001023/MHSAA-could-push-out-private-schools-over-recruiting-

Smithville is like 97% white, but it's in Monroe County, which is 30% black.

curmudgeon
10-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Here's the skinny.

Mississippi gonna Mississippi.

The 1A, 2A and 3A all-sports trophies were won by private schools last year. Baldwyn and Smithville are pissed off. Smithville principal makes the resolution, which passed overwhelmingly. Baldwyn Superintendent is head of MHSAA Executive Board, and will push this through. There is little chance that this does not pass with David Bradberry retired. Has two votes - Thursday and in February.

Get ready MRA, Prep and JA, St. Stanislaus, St. Andrews and Madison St. Joe are coming to a district near you. The MAIS needs to get rid of the Division I/Division II crap now. There's no reason for it.

Here's what Academy AAA should look like now:

North
----------
Jackson Academy
MRA
Madison St. Joseph
Washington
Heritage
Pillow
Magnolia Heights
Starkville

South
----------
Jackson Prep
Parklane
Presbyterian Christian
Parklane
St. Stanislaus
St. Andrew's
Lamar
Oak Forest

Hillcrest, Columbia, Copiah, East Rankin drop down to AA with schools like St. Al, Greenville St. Joe, etc.

This makes Academy Ball better, IMO. The 16 AAA schools above can play, and JA/Prep will not dominate every year, every sport. St. Joseph Madison has had some good football teams lately, and St. Andrew's will challenge in a lot of the girls and Olympic sports.

The elephant in the rooms is that the MAIS is an accrediting body as well as a sports association. Like myself, the parochial schools hate this. St. Andrew's or St. Stanislaus might hire a priest to be headmaster, retired MD to teach biology, an attorney to teach political science, or a former college admissions rep to be a guidance counselor. None of those would be certified by the MAIS without additional training/coursework.

percy pringle
10-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Greenville St. Joe has pretty much eliminated Smithville from advancing in baseball for the past 3 years, and I know football at least last year. Tupelo Christian in baseball for the past 2. Guess it's still stinging.