PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Gruden Hire and contract

Commercecomet24
01-10-2018, 12:45 PM
I just wanted to see what y'all thought about the Raiders hire of Gruden and that big contract.

I love Gruden as analyst and announcer. Sharp guy. However I was surprised to look at his career numbers as a head coach. He was a head coach for 11 seasons and had losing seasons in 5 of those 11 seasons. His career record is 95-81. He does have the one Super Bowl win. This could wind up being the greatest hire in the history of football but 100 million dollars for a coach with .540 winning percentage and losing seasons in almost half his career as a head coach seems like Chucky hit the jackpot. Free market is an awesome thing!

Like I said he's a sharp guy and great analyst but he's not Saban or Belichik.

What do y'all think?

mo7888
01-10-2018, 01:14 PM
I think he's way over rated based on his results (which are from a different era). I think the contract will be a disaster.

Coach34
01-10-2018, 01:17 PM
I think he will do a great job.

He will be energized
He has been right in the middle of the NFL and breaking down concepts of every NFL team
He has an awesome coaching background
He's had time to reflect on things he did that worked and things that didnt

msbulldog
01-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Good face for the franchise for the transition to Vegas.

Leroy Jenkins
01-10-2018, 01:23 PM
The NFL is a .500 league so...

Percho
01-10-2018, 01:23 PM
I just wanted to see what y'all thought about the Raiders hire of Gruden and that big contract.

I love Gruden as analyst and announcer. Sharp guy. However I was surprised to look at his career numbers as a head coach. He was a head coach for 11 seasons and had losing seasons in 5 of those 11 seasons. His career record is 95-81. He does have the one Super Bowl win. This could wind up being the greatest hire in the history of football but 100 million dollars for a coach with .540 winning percentage and losing seasons in almost half his career as a head coach seems like Chucky hit the jackpot. Free market is an awesome thing!

Like I said he's a sharp guy and great analyst but he's not Saban or Belichik.

What do y'all think?

Sometimes I wonder about our, intelligence, as humans!

somebodyshotmypaw
01-10-2018, 01:25 PM
He will be energized
He has been right in the middle of the NFL and breaking down concepts of every NFL team
He has an awesome coaching background
He's had time to reflect on things he did that worked and things that didnt

Agree with all of the above. My only concern if I'm Raiders fan, is that I do think Gruden's reputation has been inflated by MNF and the QB camp he does before the draft. Gruden has done such a good job, and been so fun and likeable, that he has become almost God-like to some. But to win you need a good QB, and I think Carr is a good one for him to work with. I think Gruden will do well. I don't think he will be there for 10 years though.

dogshiek
01-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Gruden is obviously a fool for turning down Umiss and Utenn.................

jumbo
01-10-2018, 01:34 PM
It's a good hire. I think he will do well as Oakland has a solid roster.

The contract though is a nightmare. It's 10 years and is fully guaranteed.

msstate7
01-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Fix the secondary, and he has a very good team. I think they make playoffs next season

Tbonewannabe
01-10-2018, 01:43 PM
Sometimes I wonder about our, intelligence, as humans!

Due to the Raiders hiring Gruden? I think it is a lot for someone that has a similar record to Brian Billick. Gruden probably excites the fanbase which is probably the most important thing for the Raiders move to Vegas.

msbulldog
01-10-2018, 06:58 PM
Hell, I'd take the job.