PDA

View Full Version : Wintry weather possible Friday

starkvegasdawg
01-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Not saying run to your local grocery store and buy all the milk and bread in sight yet, but starting to get some strong hints this Friday might see at least parts of north MS get some type of wintry precipitation. Right now mainly looking like rain transitioning over to sleet and freezing rain, but depending on the track and strength of the low, some areas could see a transition over to snow. Several of the models are showing at least some frozen precipitation, but they are disagreeing on type and amount. Hopefully, by this time tomorrow things will be more defined.

Oh, and just for giggles, keep an eye on next Monday night and Tuesday, too

msbulldog
01-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Thanks Vegas.

FISHDAWG
01-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Not saying run to your local grocery store and buy all the milk and bread in sight yet, but starting to get some strong hints this Friday might see at least parts of north MS get some type of wintry precipitation. Right now mainly looking like rain transitioning over to sleet and freezing rain, but depending on the track and strength of the low, some areas could see a transition over to snow. Several of the models are showing at least some frozen precipitation, but they are disagreeing on type and amount. Hopefully, by this time tomorrow things will be more defined.

DANG - there goes my trip to the nudist camp

Dawgface
01-10-2018, 08:47 AM
I'm headed to the store for more beer. Thanks for the excuse.

BB30
01-10-2018, 09:50 AM

What are we considering North Ms? Is there a chance as far down as Golden Triangle area? Know its early just curious.

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2018, 09:58 AM
What are we considering North Ms? Is there a chance as far down as Golden Triangle area? Know its early just curious.

The model run they showed on WTVA last night showed the frozen stuff down to maybe West Point. Matt qualified it by saying a model 3 days out is like a 1000 years out when it comes to forecasting frozen stuff in Mississippi. He said he was feeling increasingly confident that there would be at least some frozen precipitation, but how much, what kind, and where is very much an open question.

RougeDawg
01-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Damnit. Supposed to be driving up that way to hunt this weekend north of Aberdeen . Last time I attempted to hunt was the snow in early December. Guess I?ll just leave the deer and hope they make it to November.

starkvegasdawg
01-10-2018, 10:49 AM

The last couple model runs were along and north of I-20. However, the one that just came in shifted it all much further north basically almost all in TN. Have to wait and see if that?s a one model hiccup or a trend.

DownwardDawg
01-10-2018, 10:52 AM
Damnit. Supposed to be driving up that way to hunt this weekend north of Aberdeen . Last time I attempted to hunt was the snow in early December. Guess I?ll just leave the deer and hope they make it to November.

Wise decision. A friend of mine lost his brother in the last snow we just had. He wrecked his truck going deer hunting.

Liverpooldawg
01-10-2018, 10:54 AM
The last couple model runs were along and north of I-20. However, the one that just came in shifted it all much further north basically almost all in TN. Have to wait and see if that?s a one model hiccup or a trend.

Hopefully a trend since the way the local guys are talking by in NE Miss it might be ice if it happens. A snow that goes away in a day or two is fine. No ice.

Dawgbite
01-10-2018, 11:37 AM

Where exactly if its not a secret? I live just north of Aberdeen.

ScoobaDawg
01-10-2018, 11:50 AM

Exactly... very hard to predict where the moisture will occur even 3 days out. But multiple runs of different models coming into consensus is when you can have better confidence.

RougeDawg
01-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Where exactly if its not a secret? I live just north of Aberdeen.

Old family land in Becker Bottom. The old ?if it?s brown it?s down? people around us finally got too old and decrepit to hunt the last two years and the deer are much better and more plentiful. Used to find a ton of small bucks along property lines. Made me sick. We don?t shoot anything you can?t see antlers without a scope. And then don?t shoot unless it?s an 8 or better. I personally don?t like shooting anything that looks questionable.

RougeDawg
01-10-2018, 12:08 PM
Wise decision. A friend of mine lost his brother in the last snow we just had. He wrecked his truck going deer hunting.

Decided long ago that a weekend hunting isn?t worth the risk of never getting to hunt, or do anything ever again. There will always be tomorrow, so to speak.

LC Dawg
01-10-2018, 12:24 PM

I hope this is true. I'm driving up to Starkville this weekend for the men's and women's games and I don't want to start the 3 hour drive back Sunday until after the Saints game. I don't want to be on the roads if there is a good possibility of ice. I'm going to watch you weather guys closely over the next few days.

Dawgbite
01-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Old family land in Becker Bottom. The old ?if it?s brown it?s down? people around us finally got too old and decrepit to hunt the last two years and the deer are much better and more plentiful. Used to find a ton of small bucks along property lines. Made me sick. We don?t shoot anything you can?t see antlers without a scope. And then don?t shoot unless it?s an 8 or better. I personally don?t like shooting anything that looks questionable.

I live on the other side of the river. You are always going to have the problem of people who can't not pull the trigger. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to shoot a buck unless it was better than the last one, I have just about put myself out of the buck business. I haven't killed 5 bucks in the last 15 years but the ones I did kill were good ones, to top the last 2 I'm probably going to have to go to Texas or Iowa for a realistic opportunity. It's hard to get up at 5 am and go sit in the cold when most days I could shoot a doe out my kitchen window.

RocketDawg
01-10-2018, 04:11 PM

The Weather Channel is still showing a mix in about the northern third of Mississippi, and maybe the northern and northwestern 20% of Alabama. Presumably they're using the latest model runs. Another comes out about 5 Central?

RougeDawg
01-10-2018, 04:56 PM
I live on the other side of the river. You are always going to have the problem of people who can't not pull the trigger. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to shoot a buck unless it was better than the last one, I have just about put myself out of the buck business. I haven't killed 5 bucks in the last 15 years but the ones I did kill were good ones, to top the last 2 I'm probably going to have to go to Texas or Iowa for a realistic opportunity. It's hard to get up at 5 am and go sit in the cold when most days I could shoot a doe out my kitchen window.

Yea the cold makes it difficult sometimes. I truly just enjoy getting away from the city, people and traffic. Sitting there in silence has similar effects as a drug for me. Very relaxing. I Spend more time with my camera in hand than gun. There are some nice shooters around but only have pics at night. They didn?t make daylight appearances until last weekend last year. It?s almost as if the ones who make it to a nice size have a 6th sense of when the season starts and ends and they don?t forget.

starkvegasdawg
01-10-2018, 05:08 PM
The Weather Channel is still showing a mix in about the northern third of Mississippi, and maybe the northern and northwestern 20% of Alabama. Presumably they're using the latest model runs. Another comes out about 5 Central?

NWS saying up to 1? of snow/sleet basically Highway 82 and points north. Possibly 4? near the TN border. The noon NAM is out and continuing the northward shift. The next run will be at 6:00 and should be available around 8:30-9:00.

RocketDawg
01-10-2018, 05:19 PM
NWS saying up to 1? of snow/sleet basically Highway 82 and points north. Possibly 4? near the TN border. The noon NAM is out and continuing the northward shift. The next run will be at 6:00 and should be available around 8:30-9:00.

Presumably the ? is inches, not feet. ;)

That would be pretty light ... it's not a big deal if it's all snow. Last time the models missed the snow totals by a large margin though.

starkvegasdawg
01-10-2018, 05:44 PM
Presumably the ? is inches, not feet. ;)

That would be pretty light ... it's not a big deal if it's all snow. Last time the models missed the snow totals by a large margin though.

Indeed they did. I?ll try to update later tonight but no promises. The flu has laid the smack down on our house. My son just tested positive and both my daughter and myself are exhibiting classic symptoms. I just found my good friend Mr. NyQuil and I hope to go nighty night here shortly.

RocketDawg
01-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Indeed they did. I?ll try to update later tonight but no promises. The flu has laid the smack down on our house. My son just tested positive and both my daughter and myself are exhibiting classic symptoms. I just found my good friend Mr. NyQuil and I hope to go nighty night here shortly.

Get some Mucinex D also. Good stuff for over the counter. Your doc may have something better by prescription.

starkvegasdawg
01-10-2018, 07:15 PM
Get some Mucinex D also. Good stuff for over the counter. Your doc may have something better by prescription.

Tamiflu for everybody.

RocketDawg
01-10-2018, 09:03 PM
I don't know if you can believe their maps down to the millimeter, but TWC seems to have moved the freezing rain/snow line a bit south.

starkvegasdawg
01-10-2018, 09:16 PM
I don't know if you can believe their maps down to the millimeter, but TWC seems to have moved the freezing rain/snow line a bit south.

As is typical with winter weather events, everything has to line up perfectly for it to happen here. It?s just hard to keep temps below freezing with enough moisture in the atmosphere to fall.

huffy
01-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Any updates for us northern dawgs, Vegas?

RocketDawg
01-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Any updates for us northern dawgs, Vegas?

The Weather Channel uses the same models as everybody else. Looks like extreme north and northwest Miss. will get some snow, but probably light ... just an inch or two. It'll be heavier the farther north you go into western Tennessee and Arkansas.

Little to no snow in N. Alabama but may get some freezing rain.

Vegas can now give his opinion.

RougeDawg
01-11-2018, 07:34 PM
Appreciate the updates. Will be loading up the hunting gear when I get home from work. Fingers crossed the ice stays north.

Mimi's Babies
01-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Prayers for a speedy recovery Vegas....

starkvegasdawg
01-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Looks like the worst will start at the TN line and go north. NWS has removed all mention of wintry precipitation for Starkville area. Most of north MS is under a winter weather advisory for up to 1in of snow and sleet.